Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,396 members, 7,958,141 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 09:36 AM

Few Pics From Imo State - Politics (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Few Pics From Imo State (2493976 Views)

Prof. Anthony Onwuka, Ministerial Nominee From Imo State, Would be Screened Out / Oboy See Heavy Accident Along Rivers Express Way (with Few Pics) / Few Pics From My Brief Trip To Abuja To Meet A Cankerworm. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (1038) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by shady26(m): 8:56pm On Oct 23, 2014
vanbonattel:
how many kilometres of quality roads have been delivered to imo people to justify this freedom?
how many industries were built?
how many jobs were created?
igr of imo state kwanu?
did he solve the go slow in owerre?
peaceful government without trouble?

where is the freedom apart from tbe signboard?
nice constructive criticisms i must say but please be more courteous with the picture posting. remember were we are...peace
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by B2mario(m): 9:49pm On Oct 23, 2014
Abagworo:

You ask too much questions. The Orlu/Owerri highway is longer than The Owerri/Elele highway. 305 schools with more than 200 completed. How many did PDP of 1999 to 2011 build? More than 500km of roads completed and another 300km waiting. How many did PDP construct? The truth remains intact as shown by my pictures earlier on this thread which I doubt if its of any use to repeat them. Imo State is the only State the Governor walks freely along the streets and drives around clearly seen. Government has been demystified and Keke operators, children, market women have access to the Governor.

In Imo State people can be aggrieved and enter or block Government house gate and the Governor or his aid will come out to address them without Police men or any arms. Can #bring back our girls! Protesters be allowed to block Aso Rock not to talk of Jonathan coming out personally to addess them. In Imo there is real freedom. Can D'banj snatch mic from Jonathan and his details will leave him untouched?
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by B2mario(m): 9:50pm On Oct 23, 2014
millionaireman:

There is freedom of political association in Nigeria - but a good politician needs to make that choice with both hindsight and foresight.
It is falsehood to state that Okorocha govt has made no meaningful development in Imo state - even a blind fellow can "see" the developments.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 5:58am On Oct 24, 2014
RareDiamonds:
Abagworro, please show us more pictures.

My Laptop in which I stored pictures parked for a while now. Will supply more anytime I have chance to take it for repairs.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Onyegecha(f): 8:08am On Oct 24, 2014
Abagworo and co, you guys cannot succeed in selling Imolites a dummy called Rochas. We know the truth. aLL THE ROADS IN World Bank area are terribly bad, Umuguma junction, a torture. Douglas road has very bad spots, Ikenegbu, Aladimma, Orji, Nekede, West end/ Nworie area, Naze, Ihiagwa road, all very terrible. We see road workers everywhere and yet we have no good roads. Why should we celebrate? You go to Orlu, snap sections of the road that are good and upload them on Nairaland, but inhabitants of Orlu are in dire distress. Keep propagating your lies but the truth must prevail.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 8:58am On Oct 24, 2014
Onyegecha:
Abagworo and co, you guys cannot succeed in selling Imolites a dummy called Rochas. We know the truth. aLL THE ROADS IN World Bank area are terribly bad, Umuguma junction, a torture. Douglas road has very bad spots, Ikenegbu, Aladimma, Orji, Nekede, West end/ Nworie area, Naze, Ihiagwa road, all very terrible. We see road workers everywhere and yet we have no good roads. Why should we celebrate? You go to Orlu, snap sections of the road that are good and upload them on Nairaland, but inhabitants of Orlu are in dire distress. Keep propagating your lies but the truth must prevail.

You've come with your other moniker to sell lies. There's nowhere in Nigeria all the roads are good. In fact if only the aforementioned places are the bad spots in Imo then its the best in Nigeria. I travelled from Owerri to Orlu on a road under construction which has reached 70%. I was highly impressed because I never read about it anywhere or saw anything about it on TV. Apart from constructing the highest number of roads in Nigeria which we all know but some of you choose to claim blind to that fact, road is not the only evidence of development. There is evidence of increased population of wealthy people going by the rate of new palatial houses springing up everywhere to complement the new roads within a record short period of time. There is free education at all levels. There is improved security. We now have a standard health diagnostic centre and also cancer centre in Imo State. New industries have sprung up and "diasporans" are now investing at home. Owerri our State capital is so neat one can eat food from the roads. Propaganda of looking for some few bad roads in few slums cannot change that fact. Orlu is now a growing city with future and rescued from stagnant decades. I've not been to Okigwe to ascertain its level of improvement. Most of the villages now have their roads tarred and over 200 schools have been completed. 27 hospitals are being built and many are at very advanced stage. I'm happy with Okorocha and proud of the Imo State I saw 3weeks ago. The difference in 3 years is unbelievable and is almost comparable with 7years of other States.

My take remains that a lot has been done since 2011 but much is also left undone and at the rate Okorocha is working if his successor continues at that pace, 10 years from now we should be the 1st truly developed State in Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by millionaireman: 10:43am On Oct 24, 2014
Abagworo:

My take remains that a lot has been done since 2011 but much is also left undone and at the rate Okorocha is working if his successor continues at that pace,

Gov. Okorocha going to act VP in APC next election? With the too many uncompleted projects he is most likely to leave behind in Imo state? Imo governors are not known for completing the projects started by their predecessors.

So far, the direction APC top leaders are pointing for choice of the party's flag-bearer next election, APC cannot dislodge PDP from Aso Rock.
If it goes that way, at the end, Okorocha shall be loser, Imo state shall be riddled with uncompleted projects.

5 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 11:28am On Oct 24, 2014
millionaireman:

Gov. Okorocha going to act VP in APC next election? With the too many uncompleted projects he is most likely to leave behind in Imo state? Imo governors are not known for completing the projects started by their predecessors.
So far, the direction APC top leaders are pointing for choice of the party's flag-bearer next election, APC cannot dislodge PDP from Aso Rock.
If it goes that way, at the end, Okorocha shall be loser, Imo state shall be riddled with uncompleted projects.

Do not apply double standards please. The Fg has 90% of their projects uncompleted and it is same everywhere you go. For example the only completed road in the entire Southsouth and Southeast is Onitsha to Owerri.

List the number of uncompleted projects in Orlu and completed ones or Owerri at least you'll realize the uncompleted is about 30%.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 11:39am On Oct 24, 2014
Sincerely it baffles me that some Igbos are yet to come to terms with reality and are bent on sacrificing their stake for Jonathans deceit. They spend much of their energy searching for any fault to indict Okorocha but are celebrating mere promises made by Jonathan like the ppp sponsored 2nd Niger bridge which has not reached 1% in the last 5 years.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by abagoro(m): 12:52pm On Oct 24, 2014
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by abagoro(m): 12:52pm On Oct 24, 2014
Owerri airport is now the 4th busiest in Nigeria just behind Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt while Enugu comes next.

Table 2.0 Total Passenger Traffic Q1, 2014

ABUJA DOM 701,249 INT 206,740
AKURE 1,920
BENIN 51,320 CALABAR DOM 46,142 INT -
ENUGU 62,592 ENUGU INT'L 8,912
IBADAN 14,525
ILORIN DOM 14,360 INT -
JOS 12,226
KADUNA DOM 33,321 INT -
SOKOTO DOM 21,067 INT -
KANO DOM 48,377 INT 37,261
MAID DOM 3,025 INT -
MAKURDI 657
MMIA DOM 898,896 INT 784,479
P.H. DOM 274,186 INT 26,314
YOLA DOM 32,851 INT 1,047
MINNA DOM 3,131 INT -
KATSINA 495 INT -
OWERRI 75,376
OSUBI 56,508 TOTAL DOM 2,352,224 TOTAL INT 1,064,753 GRAND TOTAL 3,416,977
NOTE: Full Dataset can be downloaded from NBS eLibrary at: http://nigerianstat.gov.ng/pages/NBS%20eLibrary

https://www.nairaland.com/1963736/nigerian-airports-handled-57.55m-passengers

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by asha80(m): 1:13pm On Oct 24, 2014
abagoro:
Owerri airport is now the 4th busiest in Nigeria just behind Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt while Enugu comes next.

Table 2.0 Total Passenger Traffic Q1, 2014

ABUJA DOM 701,249 INT 206,740
AKURE 1,920
BENIN 51,320 CALABAR DOM 46,142 INT -
ENUGU 62,592 ENUGU INT'L 8,912
IBADAN 14,525
ILORIN DOM 14,360 INT -
JOS 12,226
KADUNA DOM 33,321 INT -
SOKOTO DOM 21,067 INT -
KANO DOM 48,377 INT 37,261
MAID DOM 3,025 INT -
MAKURDI 657
MMIA DOM 898,896 INT 784,479
P.H. DOM 274,186 INT 26,314
YOLA DOM 32,851 INT 1,047
MINNA DOM 3,131 INT -
KATSINA 495 INT -
OWERRI 75,376
OSUBI 56,508 TOTAL DOM 2,352,224 TOTAL INT 1,064,753 GRAND TOTAL 3,416,977
NOTE: Full Dataset can be downloaded from NBS eLibrary at: http://nigerianstat.gov.ng/pages/NBS%20eLibrary

https://www.nairaland.com/1963736/nigerian-airports-handled-57.55m-passengers
asaba's own is missing...wonder what created the jump in traffic in owerr since the nearby airports were all working at the time of these data.

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by abagoro(m): 1:18pm On Oct 24, 2014
asha80:
asaba's own is missing...wonder what created the jump in traffic in owerr since the nearby airports were all working at the time of these data.

Some airports recorded 0 or less than 100 flights. Owerri is busy because more people now visit Owerri for weekend holidays, tourism, business(Aba) and events.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by millionaireman: 3:00pm On Oct 24, 2014
Abagworo:

Do not apply double standards please. The Fg has 90% of their projects uncompleted and it is same everywhere you go. For example the only completed road in the entire Southsouth and Southeast is Onitsha to Owerri.

If not for OBJ that came in 1999, Onitsha-Owerri Road may still be remaining as it was all those years northern leaders were atop.
At least Jonathan has started the projects you talked about in the SE.
By the way, to fly APC's presidential flag, who among those scrambling for the flag is more qualified than Okorocha? I believe none.
It is 44 years an Igbo has not become president of Nigeria, so any Igbo wishing to play VP role in APC is most likely to be abandoned by the Igbo for Jonathan.
In any case, Rochas Okorocha said it long ago that he did not join APC to become VP.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by RareDiamonds: 6:43pm On Oct 24, 2014
Calabar, Ilorin, Maiduguri airports record zero passengers in Q1, says NBS as Owerri Becomes 4th Busiest Airport in Nigeria After Lagos, Abuja and PH
By ISAAC ANUMIHE, ABUJA on October 24, 2014 · Business

Against the backdrop of the growing interest by state governments to build new airports despite not being economically viable, the National Bureau of Statics (NBS) has revealed that about seven international airports in Nigeria have recorded no passengers at all in the first quarter of 2014 while Lagos and Abuja airports recorded highest.

The airports with zero patronage include International airports in Calabar, Ilorin, Kaduna, Sokoto, Maiduguri, Minna and Katsina.

However, a total of 3,416,977 passengers travelled using Nigerian airports in the first quarter of 2014. Out of this number, 2,352,224 or 68.84 per cent of them travelled locally, whereas 1,064,753 or 31.16 per cent travelled overseas.

Murtala Mohammed Airport, Lagos, was rated the busiest airport in the country with 1,683,375 passengers or 49.27 per cent followed by Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, with 907,989 passengers, or 26.57 per cent.

According to the NBS report, this was very similar to the share of 68.81 per cent observed for domestic passenger traffic on average in 2013.

“The above ranking is observed for both domestic and foreign bound passengers too. For domestic flights, Murtala Muhammed Airport had 898,896 passengers or 38.21 per cent of the total and Abuja had 701,249 passengers or 29.81 per cent of the total. Port Harcourt had a significant number of 274,186 passengers or 11.66 per cent of all passenger traffic, while Owerri Airport in Imo State had 75,356 passengers or 3.20 per cent of the total.

International passenger traffic is even more dominated by Lagos, with 784,479 passengers or 73.68 per cent of all overseas bound passengers passing through this airport. Abuja still ranks second, although with a lesser number of 205,740 passengers or 19.42 per cent of the total. Only Kano and Port Harcourt international airports had portions of the total of over 1 per cent, with 37,261 passengers or 3.50 per cent of the total flying through Kano and Port Harcourt,” the report said.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=87651

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by RareDiamonds: 6:46pm On Oct 24, 2014
asha80:

ASABA IS NOT AMONG THE TOP 5 !!! IMO STATE AIRPORT TAKES THE LEAD ALONG WITH THREE OTHERS
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Onyegecha(f): 6:59pm On Oct 24, 2014
Actually, there is no part of Imo state that is free from death traps called roads. I just mentioned a few. I even forgot the shell camp road right beside the government house. A death trap it is! I went to the village somewhere in Mbieri last weekend and realized that INDEED, Imo has gone to the dogs. Mbaitoli, Ikeduru, Ngor Okpalla, Onuimo Arondizuogu, among many others do not know that there is a government in Imo state. Unfortunately, even Owerri, the seat of power is deteriorating very fast in spite of all the gbalu gbalu going on in the name of governance. PLEASE FIND YOURSELF SOMETHING BETTER TO DO BECAUSE ROCHAS IS BAD MARKET and we have had enough of him and his clueless team.
Abagworo:

You've come with your other moniker to sell lies. There's nowhere in Nigeria all the roads are good. In fact if only the aforementioned places are the bad spots in Imo then its the best in Nigeria. I travelled from Owerri to Orlu on a road under construction which has reached 70%. I was highly impressed because I never read about it anywhere or saw anything about it on TV. Apart from constructing the highest number of roads in Nigeria which we all know but some of you choose to claim blind to that fact, road is not the only evidence of development. There is evidence of increased population of wealthy people going by the rate of new palatial houses springing up everywhere to complement the new roads within a record short period of time. There is free education at all levels. There is improved security. We now have a standard health diagnostic centre and also cancer centre in Imo State. New industries have sprung up and "diasporans" are now investing at home. Owerri our State capital is so neat one can eat food from the roads. Propaganda of looking for some few bad roads in few slums cannot change that fact. Orlu is now a growing city with future and rescued from stagnant decades. I've not been to Okigwe to ascertain its level of improvement. Most of the villages now have their roads tarred and over 200 schools have been completed. 27 hospitals are being built and many are at very advanced stage. I'm happy with Okorocha and proud of the Imo State I saw 3weeks ago. The difference in 3 years is unbelievable and is almost comparable with 7years of other States.

My take remains that a lot has been done since 2011 but much is also left undone and at the rate Okorocha is working if his successor continues at that pace, 10 years from now we should be the 1st truly developed State in Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by RareDiamonds: 7:19pm On Oct 24, 2014
Onyegecha:

Actually, there is no part of Imo state that is free from death traps called roads. I just mentioned a few. I even forgot the shell camp road right beside the government house. A death trap it is! I went to the village somewhere in Mbieri last weekend and realized that INDEED, Imo has gone to the dogs. Mbaitoli, Ikeduru, Ngor Okpalla, Onuimo Arondizuogu, among many others do not know that there is a government in Imo state. Unfortunately, even Owerri, the seat of power is deteriorating very fast in spite of all the gbalu gbalu going on in the name of governance. PLEASE FIND YOURSELF SOMETHING BETTER TO DO BECAUSE ROCHAS IS BAD MARKET and we have had enough of him and his clueless team.

IT IS PDP PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT SLOWED DOWN PROGRESS IN IMO STATE. HAD OHAKIM PERFORMED AS ROCHAS HE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DEFEATED IN THE ELECTION. IMO STATE HAVE NOT AND WILL NEVER GO TO THE DOGS !!!

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by eaglechild: 8:42pm On Oct 24, 2014
Onyegecha:

Imo state is devoid of rural roads.

All the rural roads are in a mess.

4 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by abagoro(m): 9:58pm On Oct 24, 2014
eaglechild:

You should stop the lies my friend. Imo State has the best rural roads today even though a lot is left undone.

This is Oguta

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by LordNaya: 11:49pm On Oct 24, 2014
eaglechild:

Imo State has numerous quality rural roads built by past and present Imo State governments, Fed Govt of Nig, private individuals and NDDC. Rural roads in Imo State are fairly good to an extent

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by vanbonattel: 12:16am On Oct 25, 2014
RareDiamonds:

IT IS PDP PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT SLOWED DOWN PROGRESS IN IMO STATE. HAD OHAKIM PERFORMED AS ROCHAS HE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DEFEATED IN THE ELECTION. IMO STATE HAVE NOT AND WILL NEVER GO TO THE DOGS !!!

there we vo again calling political party into a case of incompetence to govern? the truth is that we cannot bring ourselves to man up and believe the truth. keep lying to yourself.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by vanbonattel: 12:18am On Oct 25, 2014
LordNaya:

Imo State has numerous quality rural roads built by past and present Imo State governments, Fed Govt of Nig, private individuals and NDDC. Rural roads in Imo State are fairly good to an extent

show me one road built by rochas in arondizuogu , apart from nddc road. shame no dey catch you to mention nddc rural roads, many yoruba states that got no oil no dey build roads since 1961?

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by vanbonattel: 12:20am On Oct 25, 2014
Onyegecha:

my happiness is that people's eyes dey open small small, rochas has sang us to sleep. but you can fool some ppl sometime but you cannot fool all the ppl all the time.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by emmysoftyou: 1:11am On Oct 25, 2014
imo has really developed..
I cant believe that oguta,orlu,and owerri is wearing an aesthetic paragon of new singapore...
To hell with those who do not feel changes in imo state and anambra state or any other part in d east,,
sadist go and waste...
Imo wore a new look and some of the rural roads re tarred frm amaraku down to arondizogwu.
Imagine how individual and business men now toure the state and that s why imo airport is the fouth busiest airport in nigeria ..
Yet yu kip saying there re no changes.
If u re given d chance to control d state,i bet yu..u will fail woefully because even to control yur family is hard on yu to handle,yet u come here to rubish d effort of a tireless hardworking governor rochas..
Respect..
Abagworo please ignore d sadist and doggist..move on with more proof to shame them all.
God pass them.
I remain faithful to d entire igboland cool

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by vanbonattel: 7:16am On Oct 25, 2014
emmysoftyou:
imo has really developed..
I cant believe that oguta,orlu,and owerri is wearing an aesthetic paragon of new singapore...
To hell with those who do not feel changes in imo state and anambra state or any other part in d east,,
sadist go and waste...
Imo wore a new look and some of the rural roads re tarred frm amaraku down to arondizogwu.
Imagine how individual and business men now toure the state and that s why imo airport is the fouth busiest airport in nigeria ..
Yet yu kip saying there re no changes.
If u re given d chance to control d state,i bet yu..u will fail woefully because even to control yur family is hard on yu to handle,yet u come here to rubish d effort of a tireless hardworking governor rochas..
Respect..
Abagworo please ignore d sadist and doggist..move on with more proof to shame them all.
God pass them.
I remain faithful to d entire igboland cool

imo airport is third because acording to Abagworro, tourists are coming to see owerri, and the girls. Abagworo is happy about that, why dont tourist visit ph? which business are they coming to do in owerri apart from carnival and sleepjng in hotels, is there any other company in owerre?
Abagworo have bn recycling only 10 pichures and nowhere else to see. rochas is stagnated and tired.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by RareDiamonds: 4:33pm On Oct 25, 2014
Industrialisation, Only Way for Sustainable Development – Imo Commissioner

The Imo government said on Monday that industrialisation remained the only avenue for a sustainable economic growth.

The state’s Commissioner for Informal Sector, Mrs Ugochi Okoro, made the assertion in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Owerri.

Okoro said that sustainable economic growth would only be possible through new investments in manufacturing.

According to her, the state government has provided leadership by building industries in some local government areas.

Okoro said the international market built by the state government in Obowo Local Government Area had boosted development in the area.

She said the state government would re-open the Avutu Poultry, the shoe industry and other industries established by previous governments.

Okoro said the government had created the enabling environment for investors to harness and maximise profit in Imo.

“This government has created a level playing ground for everybody to excel. The issue of insecurity like kidnapping and armed robbery has become a thing of the past in Imo.

“We want people to come and invest in this state because we have all it takes to protect them and their investments,” she said.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/05/industrialisation-way-sustainable-development-imo-commissioner/

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by RareDiamonds: 4:35pm On Oct 25, 2014
Oguta does not look rural. Oguta is a Town

abagoro:

You should stop the lies my friend. Imo State has the best rural roads today even though a lot is left undone.

This is Oguta

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by RareDiamonds: 4:54pm On Oct 25, 2014
Urbanising Orlu Through Infrastructural Development

Jul 25, 2014STEVE UZOECHIFeatures0
Urbanising Orlu through infrastructural development

With the construction of roads, hospitals, schools and provision of other social amenities, Imo State Government is gradually changing the face of Orlu, reports STEVE UZOECHI

When Owelle Rochas Okorocha assumed office as Imo State governor on May 29, 2011, expectations were high. He had a plethora of challenges to contend with. It was not unexpected. There was dearth of functional infrastructural facilities and basic amenities. On the political plane, graft had become a pastime.

The challenges where numerous – a dejected populace in dire need of direction; an ailing public service staffed by an ill-motivated workforce; a crumbling educational system without the required productive capacities to contribute to the development of the state; a lethargic health sector that left the infirm at the mercy of unequipped health facilities; a regime of joblessness that fostered a measure of hopelessness, helplessness and desperation in the psyche of the youth; insecurity spurred by widespread disenchantment within a section of the populace against the system and its operators.

Three years down the line, record shows that Okorocha has made deliberate efforts to keep fate with the terms of his mandate and correct several systemic incongruities that had bedevilled the state since its creation.

It is believed in many quarters that one of the governor’s most important achievements is his passionate infrastructural drive across the three geopolitical zones of the state. He has continued to push towards making Orlu and Okigwe modern cities thereby taking attention away from the state capital and enhancing the socio-economic opportunities derivable in the geopolitical zones outside Owerri, the state capital.

His resolve to turn Orlu into a modern city that can compete with several other cities in the South-East has shown the governor’s immense capacity for infrastructural development.

The state government had earlier disclosed that N25 billion would be spent on the on-going transformation of Orlu. Before the current transformation of Orlu, Okorocha had in his 2012 State of the Imo Address, noted that, “the potentials of the state were shut in, owing to the absence of an extensive network of roads to support the process of transformation”.

According to him, the cities of Owerri, Orlu and Okigwe have continued to reel under the neglect of roads within these towns thus making vehicular movement very inconvenient to motorists.

“Although, remarkable efforts have been made since this administration came on board to repair the roads and open up new ones, it is expected that this year (2012), over 400 kilometres of roads will be constructed in the state,” he promised then. True to his word, Orlu city has benefited immensely in the areas of infrastructural development.

When coming into the city from Owerri, one is welcomed by giant gates announcing the city. Okorocha started the transformation of Orlu with the control of the popular Umuna erosion site in Umusasa which had consumed dozens of houses and sacked many families from their ancestral homes. It is instructive to note that St. Joseph’s Catholic Church Umuna was on the verge of giving in to the erosion when Okorocha intervened.

This site, it was learnt, was abandoned over the years despite efforts to attract Federal Government attention to the erosion menace. In addition to this, the perennial Mgbee Erosion site on Ideato Road has been controlled and recovered with a dual carriageway linking Ideato and Orlu. To an extent, Okorocha has established quite a solid infrastructural presence in the Orlu area of the state.

His achievements in the area include road projects in the city – completion of the inner city roads comprising eight roads, complete with covered drainages; walkways and street lights.

The most important aspect of these roads is the extension to dual carriageway of some inner roads, including the Ideato-Orlu- Owerri Road which is about 75 per cent completed and the old Orlu-Owerri Road, with street lights. This has greatly decongested the traffic in the town.

Efforts to develop the city include the construction of the Orlu Shopping Mall, repositioning of the old Onitsha Park and Orlu ultra-modern central motor parks; construction of Children’s Amusement Park, and Electronic Market in Okporo, Orlu and the Building Materials Market in Umuowa as well as the frequent cleaning of the Orlu city.

To further ensure free flow of traffic, the administration designated 15 bus stops within the city. There are also roundabouts beautified with modern water fountains at Banana Junction, and those on Amaigbo Road which help to control overspeeding and check avoidable accidents.

There is an ongoing construction of a new stadium on the new Owerri Road as well as Prince Hotel to enhance the aesthetics of the town.

Aware that the presence of tertiary institution helps to boost economic development of such cities, the government has also established College of Nursing in Orlu.

The institution situated in the former Housing Estate, Okporo and Owerre Ebeiri will commence formal academic activities by September. It is the first College of Nursing in country as others are schools or departments of nursing.

Before this, the government had upgraded the Imo State Technological Skills Acquisition Institute (TESAI), Orlu, to become a campus of the Imo State Polytechnic which had since begun academic activities. Similarly, the once abandoned Imo State University Teaching Hospital (IMSUTH) has been put to good use to serve the academic and health needs of the people. All these are happening simultaneously in Owerri, Okigwe and various local government areas.

An Orlu resident, Hon. Dennis Nna, who spoke with New Telegraph, commended the administration for taking a bold step towards transforming the once neglected town.

He said: “When the governor embarked on the demolition of structures to build the new city of Orlu, we all kicked at the initiative. We didn’t know it will take this shape, the work is not completely done yet but Orlu is turning out better.” A trader in Orlu, Chidi Ibe, said the transformation of Orlu had shown that the city had the capacity to assume the capital status of a new state, if created.

However, some other residents urged the government to attend to the Ihiala-Orlu-Nkwerre- Anara Road to prevent further accidents and unnecessary deaths. According to them, most of the commuters from Akwa Ibom and Cross River states as well as Umuahia now ply the Orlu Road to Onitsha and Lagos.

“The kind of vehicular traffic we witness on this road makes it expedient for the Federal Government to extend it to a dual carriageway,” one of them said. Commenting on the infrastructural development in the state, the Speaker, Chief Benjamin Uwajumogu, described it as returning critical sectors of democratic governance to the original owners – the people.

Uwajumogu, who spoke with journalists in Owerri, noted that the state legislature was part of the success story and identified the enactment of people-oriented laws by the Assembly as a strong support to the government’s massive provision of social amenities like the construction and rehabilitation of rural and urban roads, construction of 27 state-of-theart General Hospitals in all the council areas; construction of two detached one-storey school blocks in all the electoral wards.

He added that the introduction of the Community Government Council (CGC) had brought governance closer to the people and ensured infrastructural development in rural communities.

http://newtelegraphonline.com/urbanising-orlu-through-infrastructural-development/

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by RareDiamonds: 4:55pm On Oct 25, 2014
Urbanising Orlu Through Infrastructural Development

Jul 25, 2014STEVE UZOECHIFeatures0
Urbanising Orlu through infrastructural development

With the construction of roads, hospitals, schools and provision of other social amenities, Imo State Government is gradually changing the face of Orlu, reports STEVE UZOECHI

When Owelle Rochas Okorocha assumed office as Imo State governor on May 29, 2011, expectations were high. He had a plethora of challenges to contend with. It was not unexpected. There was dearth of functional infrastructural facilities and basic amenities. On the political plane, graft had become a pastime.

The challenges where numerous – a dejected populace in dire need of direction; an ailing public service staffed by an ill-motivated workforce; a crumbling educational system without the required productive capacities to contribute to the development of the state; a lethargic health sector that left the infirm at the mercy of unequipped health facilities; a regime of joblessness that fostered a measure of hopelessness, helplessness and desperation in the psyche of the youth; insecurity spurred by widespread disenchantment within a section of the populace against the system and its operators.

Three years down the line, record shows that Okorocha has made deliberate efforts to keep fate with the terms of his mandate and correct several systemic incongruities that had bedevilled the state since its creation.

It is believed in many quarters that one of the governor’s most important achievements is his passionate infrastructural drive across the three geopolitical zones of the state. He has continued to push towards making Orlu and Okigwe modern cities thereby taking attention away from the state capital and enhancing the socio-economic opportunities derivable in the geopolitical zones outside Owerri, the state capital.

His resolve to turn Orlu into a modern city that can compete with several other cities in the South-East has shown the governor’s immense capacity for infrastructural development.

The state government had earlier disclosed that N25 billion would be spent on the on-going transformation of Orlu. Before the current transformation of Orlu, Okorocha had in his 2012 State of the Imo Address, noted that, “the potentials of the state were shut in, owing to the absence of an extensive network of roads to support the process of transformation”.

According to him, the cities of Owerri, Orlu and Okigwe have continued to reel under the neglect of roads within these towns thus making vehicular movement very inconvenient to motorists.

“Although, remarkable efforts have been made since this administration came on board to repair the roads and open up new ones, it is expected that this year (2012), over 400 kilometres of roads will be constructed in the state,” he promised then. True to his word, Orlu city has benefited immensely in the areas of infrastructural development.

When coming into the city from Owerri, one is welcomed by giant gates announcing the city. Okorocha started the transformation of Orlu with the control of the popular Umuna erosion site in Umusasa which had consumed dozens of houses and sacked many families from their ancestral homes. It is instructive to note that St. Joseph’s Catholic Church Umuna was on the verge of giving in to the erosion when Okorocha intervened.

This site, it was learnt, was abandoned over the years despite efforts to attract Federal Government attention to the erosion menace. In addition to this, the perennial Mgbee Erosion site on Ideato Road has been controlled and recovered with a dual carriageway linking Ideato and Orlu. To an extent, Okorocha has established quite a solid infrastructural presence in the Orlu area of the state.

His achievements in the area include road projects in the city – completion of the inner city roads comprising eight roads, complete with covered drainages; walkways and street lights.

The most important aspect of these roads is the extension to dual carriageway of some inner roads, including the Ideato-Orlu- Owerri Road which is about 75 per cent completed and the old Orlu-Owerri Road, with street lights. This has greatly decongested the traffic in the town.

Efforts to develop the city include the construction of the Orlu Shopping Mall, repositioning of the old Onitsha Park and Orlu ultra-modern central motor parks; construction of Children’s Amusement Park, and Electronic Market in Okporo, Orlu and the Building Materials Market in Umuowa as well as the frequent cleaning of the Orlu city.

To further ensure free flow of traffic, the administration designated 15 bus stops within the city. There are also roundabouts beautified with modern water fountains at Banana Junction, and those on Amaigbo Road which help to control overspeeding and check avoidable accidents.

There is an ongoing construction of a new stadium on the new Owerri Road as well as Prince Hotel to enhance the aesthetics of the town.

Aware that the presence of tertiary institution helps to boost economic development of such cities, the government has also established College of Nursing in Orlu.

The institution situated in the former Housing Estate, Okporo and Owerre Ebeiri will commence formal academic activities by September. It is the first College of Nursing in country as others are schools or departments of nursing.

Before this, the government had upgraded the Imo State Technological Skills Acquisition Institute (TESAI), Orlu, to become a campus of the Imo State Polytechnic which had since begun academic activities. Similarly, the once abandoned Imo State University Teaching Hospital (IMSUTH) has been put to good use to serve the academic and health needs of the people. All these are happening simultaneously in Owerri, Okigwe and various local government areas.

An Orlu resident, Hon. Dennis Nna, who spoke with New Telegraph, commended the administration for taking a bold step towards transforming the once neglected town.

He said: “When the governor embarked on the demolition of structures to build the new city of Orlu, we all kicked at the initiative. We didn’t know it will take this shape, the work is not completely done yet but Orlu is turning out better.” A trader in Orlu, Chidi Ibe, said the transformation of Orlu had shown that the city had the capacity to assume the capital status of a new state, if created.

However, some other residents urged the government to attend to the Ihiala-Orlu-Nkwerre- Anara Road to prevent further accidents and unnecessary deaths. According to them, most of the commuters from Akwa Ibom and Cross River states as well as Umuahia now ply the Orlu Road to Onitsha and Lagos.

“The kind of vehicular traffic we witness on this road makes it expedient for the Federal Government to extend it to a dual carriageway,” one of them said. Commenting on the infrastructural development in the state, the Speaker, Chief Benjamin Uwajumogu, described it as returning critical sectors of democratic governance to the original owners – the people.

Uwajumogu, who spoke with journalists in Owerri, noted that the state legislature was part of the success story and identified the enactment of people-oriented laws by the Assembly as a strong support to the government’s massive provision of social amenities like the construction and rehabilitation of rural and urban roads, construction of 27 state-of-the art General Hospitals in all the council areas; construction of two detached one-storey school blocks in all the electoral wards.

He added that the introduction of the Community Government Council (CGC) had brought governance closer to the people and ensured infrastructural development in rural communities.

http://newtelegraphonline.com/urbanising-orlu-through-infrastructural-development/

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by B2mario(m): 7:18pm On Oct 25, 2014
LordNaya:

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by RareDiamonds: 7:33pm On Oct 25, 2014
@ MILLIONAIREMAN DID YOU READ MY ABOVE POST ? I MADE THE PART THAT SAID SOMETHING ABOUT FLOOD IN ST JOSEPH CATHOLIC CHURCH BOLD SO THAT YOU CAN READ IT FOR YOURSELF.

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (1038) (Reply)

Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.