Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,901 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Few Pics From Imo State - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Few Pics From Imo State (2396596 Views)

Prof. Anthony Onwuka, Ministerial Nominee From Imo State, Would be Screened Out / Oboy See Heavy Accident Along Rivers Express Way (with Few Pics) / Few Pics From My Brief Trip To Abuja To Meet A Cankerworm. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (1019) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 21, 2012
ACM10:

Yes, Owerri is beautiful. But lacks link roads. Passengers are bogged down with stubborn traffic everyday on a single road. The city is not planned. I love its green scenary by the way.
thats old owerri. The new owerri is well planned. The traffic can be managed with fly overs,effective bus service,tram,mono rail,expansion of roads and traffic control.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by asha80(m): 9:12pm On Sep 21, 2012
Ejiné:

I know right? The original masterplan was designed as a low-density city, similar to Atlanta. And just like Atlanta, this has led to an unbelievably large sprawl... But unlike Atlanta, the roads are taking more traffic than they should.
I think a railway system should be 'explored' for a place like Owerri.
I chose to use the word "explored" because I sabi say railway costs no be beans. wink

i actually think other parts of imo state should be developed to reducae the inlux of people into the owerri town.i do not know the government's plan on this?
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 21, 2012
asha 80:

i actually think other parts of imo state should be developed to reducae the inlux of people into the owerri town.i do not know the government's plan on this?
rochas is serious on that. Work is on goin in orlu, same with some other satellite towns. he promised to transform okigwe,dnt no whether his magic stick has touched that part.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by asha80(m): 9:19pm On Sep 21, 2012
centje: rochas is serious on that. Work is on goin in orlu, same with some other satellite towns. he promised to transform okigwe,dnt no whether his magic stick has touched that part.

do you know of the towns in question?
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by ACM10: 9:25pm On Sep 21, 2012
centje: thats old owerri. The new owerri is well planned. The traffic can be managed with fly overs,effective bus service,tram,mono rail,expansion of roads and traffic control.

Majority of Owerri residents lives in old Owerri. It seems unplanned. I think they can do better. The traffic is something else. Moreover, tram and mono rail are too expensive for a government that is struggling to pay its workers. The options left are flyovers and expansion of roads. But, where are the spaces to accomodate these projects in old Owerri? Houses may have to be demolished to inorder to embark on such projects. And Rochas is well aware of its political consequence(s).
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by asha80(m): 9:28pm On Sep 21, 2012
ACM10:

Majority of Owerri residents lives in old Owerri. It seems unplanned. I think they can do better. The traffic is something else. Moreover, tram and mono rail are too expensive for a government that is struggling to pay its workers. The options left are flyovers and expansion of roads. But, where are the spaces to accomodate these projects in old Owerri? Houses may have to be demolished to inorder to embark on such projects. And Rochas is well aware of its political consequence(s).

owerri is actually planned.it is just that it is getting over populated.you probably would not have said the same thing if you lived there in the eighties and ninties when go slow was rare in the town.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by ACM10: 9:44pm On Sep 21, 2012
Ejiné:

I know right? The original masterplan was designed as a low-density city, similar to Atlanta. And just like Atlanta, this has led to an unbelievably large sprawl... But unlike Atlanta, the roads are taking more traffic than they should.
I think a railway system should be 'explored' for a place like Owerri.
I chose to use the word "explored" because I sabi say railway costs no be beans. wink

Owerri is one of the fast-growing cities in Nigeria. Its inhabitant might double in the next decade. This will be a disaster! The governor needs to concentrate more effort on opening new link roads to decongest traffic in the city. The new Owerri should be developed fast. I doubt if their government can undertake massive project such as city rail system without outside help.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by ACM10: 9:49pm On Sep 21, 2012
asha 80:

owerri is actually planned.it is just that it is getting over populated.you probably would not have said the same thing if you lived there in the eighties and ninties when go slow was rare in the town.

Government should hasten the development of Owerri capital development area. The current arrangement cannot be sustained on the long run. This will encourage Owerri inhabitants to relocate to the new areas, thereby decongest the city.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 9:54pm On Sep 21, 2012
Thumbs up to Rochas! Wow! Owerri has indeed changed.the last time I visited owerri was in 2009. May God continue to strenghten him as he put smiles on the faces of ndi imo.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 21, 2012
asha 80:

do you know of the towns in question?
i know of orlu,okigwe,mbaise and ngorkpala.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by menaxe: 10:29pm On Sep 21, 2012
i wish abians, esp politicians will wake up to reality.... The eat garri at crunches and wash hand at jevinik,, **soo clueless**

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 10:31pm On Sep 21, 2012
The population of Owerri has doubled in the past 2 years. As at 2009/2010 there was no traffic in Owerri and no hawkers and no much hustling and bustling except the Douglas area. Owerri is now over-populated and housing has gone the way of Port Harcourt and Abuja. Rochas should try and face that Ohakim's planned ring road. That's the only thing that can forestall total gridlock from happening in the next 2 years. I wonder what swelled the Population of Owerri at that rate.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by asha80(m): 10:38pm On Sep 21, 2012
menaxe: i wish abians, esp politicians will wake up to reality.... The eat garri at crunches and wash hand at jevinik,, **soo clueless**

grin embarassed
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:32am On Sep 22, 2012
Abagworo: The population of Owerri has doubled in the past 2 years. As at 2009/2010 there was no traffic in Owerri and no hawkers and no much hustling and bustling except the Douglas area. Owerri is now over-populated and housing has gone the way of Port Harcourt and Abuja. Rochas should try and face that Ohakim's planned ring road. That's the only thing that can forestall total gridlock from happening in the next 2 years. I wonder what swelled the Population of Owerri at that rate.

^^^On the bolded....a number of factors might be responsible: the relocation of Igbos from the north for obvious reasons; sensible people abandoning the sinking ship that is Abia/Aba and relocating to Imos state (can't say i blame them); favourable policies of gov't (being people oriented for the first time in years) leading to an influx of investors/businesses/diasporans.

There's an infrastructural deficit in Owerri, and the Governor should hasten up with planned works for the city; i think there's a 270 billion naira four year development plan in place, and i'd like to know how Owerri would benefit from this; there should be at least 3 new flyovers built, with new housing schemes as well as good durable urban roads and parks (the railway thing can be left for now as it's a bit too capital intensive....unless it's private driven).

2 Likes

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by cjrane: 3:47am On Sep 23, 2012
God bless the Imo Governor for working towards developing his state. We applaud his effort and may almighty God continue to give him wisdom to develop that state.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 23, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^On the bolded....a number of factors might be responsible: the relocation of Igbos from the north for obvious reasons; sensible people abandoning the sinking ship that is Abia/Aba and relocating to Imos state (can't say i blame them); favourable policies of gov't (being people oriented for the first time in years) leading to an influx of investors/businesses/diasporans.

There's an infrastructural deficit in Owerri, and the Governor should hasten up with planned works for the city; i think there's a 270 billion naira four year development plan in place, and i'd like to know how Owerri would benefit from this; there should be at least 3 new flyovers built, with new housing schemes as well as good durable urban roads and parks (the railway thing can be left for now as it's a bit too capital intensive....unless it's private driven).

You are so right in your first paragraph. In fact, I could count about 10 families that relocated back from the North and are not going back. The people oriented and business friendly policies have drawn others amongst them investors from outside the country and other states in Nigeria to Imo state.

All these have posed new challenges for the government. If what you suggested should be put into place, it will go a long way in moving things forward. Another thing I noticed was, food prices have increased. This is relative to the abovementioned factors. We need increased food production in both urban and rural areas.

As for there roads, there are hiccups, especially the major roads. The last time I was in Owerri, authorities were clearing obstacles including shops for the construction and upgrading of the road network. Imolites are grumbling and not happy with Rochas handling of some of the roads project. Why the slow progress of the road projects? Why did they pour sands, leaving it to the rain to do justice to them ? They said that they didn't expect the rain for an extended period of time and should commence intensive work in the upcoming dry season. Well, imolites are waiting and ever political sensitive. Rochas should thread careful on this particular issue.

Futuristically, nature should be preserved at all cost. Owerri is one of the cities where you can breath very clean air and indeed the whole Imo state. Smart and not haphazard industrialisation should be undertaken. I am encouraged by what I saw. Even in upscale neighbourhoods like world bank, works, etc people still plant things in their compounds. Imolites are environmemtally aware and sensitive.

On a last note, Imo state does not start and end with Owerri. Everywhere should uphold the same standard.....

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by omicron(m): 10:09am On Sep 23, 2012
afam4eva:
The Ojukwu convention center is an institution aimed at promoting Igbo landuage and culture and i think it's very important.
another white elephant project
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 4:15pm On Sep 23, 2012
omicron: another white elephant project

Its already completed.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by omicron(m): 4:36pm On Sep 23, 2012
Abagworo:

Its already completed.
okay, but how will it achieve its aims?
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by eaglechild: 1:34am On Sep 24, 2012
Abagworo: The population of Owerri has doubled in the past 2 years. As at 2009/2010 there was no traffic in Owerri and no hawkers and no much hustling and bustling except the Douglas area. Owerri is now over-populated and housing has gone the way of Port Harcourt and Abuja. Rochas should try and face that Ohakim's planned ring road. That's the only thing that can forestall total gridlock from happening in the next 2 years. I wonder what swelled the Population of Owerri at that rate.

DOUBLED! Hell No! Increased yes, just like many other cities including Enugu and Awka.
But they seem to be coping better esp in terms on housing and roads why?
You have to remember that the surge in traffic also seen in Owerri has alot to do with the state of Enugu PH expressway which has failed.
So that virtually all vehicular traffic going to Enugu/ after Okigwe frm PH Elele axis passes thru Owerri.
The truth is that Owerri is very compact and there is an urgent need to expand it.
Perharps toward Avu.
The good part of New Owerri(and essentially Owerri as a whole) is concord boulevard, that's all. There is no liveable layout with decent roads.
World Bank is a mess. Amakohia and Akwakuma are slums.
Aladinma and prefab are fast deteriorating.
Graceland is expensive for no good reason.
The government needs to focus on ROADS and HOUSING.

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:50am On Sep 24, 2012
ACM10:

grin grin grin grin grin
dis Rochas got talent in comedy

Bros,laugh wan kill me for hia...chai. But it shows how enthusiastic he is. This guy will do wonders in Imo...watch!
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 3:11am On Sep 24, 2012
Nice pictures!!

More!

We must reach page 30 cool
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 3:11am On Sep 24, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Bros,laugh wan kill me for hia...chai. But it shows how enthusiastic he is. This guy will do wonders in Imo...watch!

Olodo, lazy boi, na to dey seat and watch you know lipsrsealed

There are people out there actively making things happen, join them. No food for the lazy lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 3:13am On Sep 24, 2012
Olodostein:

You are so right in your first paragraph. In fact, I could count about 10 families that relocated back from the North and are not going back. The people oriented and business friendly policies have drawn others amongst them investors from outside the country and other states in Nigeria to Imo state.

Propoganda!!

I know 40 families who moved from Imo state, since Rochas entered, to Lagos. Green is greener on the other greenest.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by OneNaira6: 4:09am On Sep 24, 2012
FSU:

This is paradise

Three of five Igbo states are working.
I hope Abia and Ebonyi will wake up soon.

Wow Imo landscape is beautiful. I haven't been to Imo state but looking at that picture, it is too beautiful.

I am not so sure about Abia state but Ebonyi is a definite. Personally I think all SE states need to get involved with Ebonyi politics; we shouldn't let that state and people continuing fall into an endless pit.

Before anyone starts: Anioma can't help since we do not have that much strength in the politics in SS hence the reason I didn't include anioma. Other than ngozi iweala, I can't think of anyother that can provide a great strength in rebuilding of Ebonyi.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:12am On Sep 24, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Olodo, lazy boi, na to dey seat and watch you know lipsrsealed

There are people out there actively making things happen, join them. No food for the lazy lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

But you dont know me very well,abi. People who know me think am the most hardworking man on earth ! I will buy you a new pant the day you stop insulting folks.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 4:25am On Sep 24, 2012
eaglechild:

DOUBLED! Hell No! Increased yes, just like many other cities including Enugu and Awka.
But they seem to be coping better esp in terms on housing and roads why?
You have to remember that the surge in traffic also seen in Owerri has alot to do with the state of Enugu PH expressway which has failed.
So that virtually all vehicular traffic going to Enugu/ after Okigwe frm PH Elele axis passes thru Owerri.
The truth is that Owerri is very compact and there is an urgent need to expand it.
Perharps toward Avu.
The good part of New Owerri(and essentially Owerri as a whole) is concord boulevard, that's all. There is no liveable layout with decent roads.
World Bank is a mess. Amakohia and Akwakuma are slums.
Aladinma and prefab are fast deteriorating.
Graceland is expensive for no good reason.
The government needs to focus on ROADS and HOUSING.

The city itself has expanded by what I've seen recently. It is no more as compact as you think. Amakohia and Akwakuma are not decent by Owerri standards but is the typical of most other Nigerian cities and mind you they alongside Orji are populated villages that somehow joined the city. The population of the villages in Imo State has increased also and not only Owerri.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Abagworo(m): 4:29am On Sep 24, 2012
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by eaglechild: 7:38am On Sep 24, 2012
Abagworo:

The city itself has expanded by what I've seen recently. It is no more as compact as you think. Amakohia and Akwakuma are not decent by Owerri standards but is the typical of most other Nigerian cities and mind you they alongside Orji are populated villages that somehow joined the city. The population of the villages in Imo State has increased also and not only Owerri.

Amakohia and Akwakuma have long been part of Owerri and World bank is presently in the same state with them in terms of roads.The govt house is arguably in Amakohia (shell camp)
What am trying to say is that, there needs to be an urgent replanning of Owerri with purpose built residential layouts catering for all income groups which are linked to the older parts of the city.
The govt house shld be relocated with the police command near it to New Owerri axis to decongest that area that already has Alvan, and FMC struggling for space on the pseudo dualized Orlu road.
Owerri has a lot of potential to grow but it seems the govt is not putting its priorities right. It presently has its hands in too many pie and is confused.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by eaglechild: 7:38am On Sep 24, 2012
Abagworo:

Re: Few Pics From Imo State by Nobody: 8:10am On Sep 24, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Propoganda!!

I know 40 families who moved from Imo state, since Rochas entered, to Lagos. Green is greener on the other greenest.

Hehehe... How would you know, when you are in a far away distant land.

Anyways, we want our brothers to come home and feel at home.
Re: Few Pics From Imo State by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:19am On Sep 24, 2012
Rochas and a child:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (1019) (Reply)

Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: onuman and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.