Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (176551 Views)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / What Stops Nigeria From Having A Diversity Visa Lottery Program? / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (88) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by gunners4u: 1:52pm On Dec 11, 2012
Wat ar the documents dat will be sent to dv immigrant in usa except d GC & SSN?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by pendusky(m): 1:52pm On Dec 11, 2012
Gbenge 77: so many grammatical blunders in your post.
does that matter? is i bet you if u can interpret the Op post in yoruba language which is ur own language without blunders, then i'll quit internet for 5 years! INWANG NTE AFO!
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by isholabode: 2:00pm On Dec 11, 2012
;DThe poster made very valid & valuable points. In the US, an immigrant would need to wake up to so many rude shocks. You'll find out that most job applications would take you through tests online and our resume styles differ. Date of birth,marital status,place of birth etc are taboos in the US resume!
How do you handle the issue of having 'an accent'. Many words disparity nko? What is 'surname'? They only know 'last name'. Trousers na pants! Toilet na bathroom! Car bonnet and boot na hood and trunk! House TO LET na FOR RENT! There's just so much to learn. It's harder for young children who might get teased at school or at play. Older immigrants probably have thicker skins.The weather is another issue . You can be comfortable in the US as long as u can afford the bills!
The experience can be daunting but the rewards make up for all the hassles.

3 Likes

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 2:14pm On Dec 11, 2012
gunners4u: Wat ar the documents dat will be sent to dv immigrant in usa except d GC & SSN?

The first letter is 1-797C, Notice of action that your VISA packet was received at the point of entry where you entered The United state, then your Green Card.Sometimes it depends on the State policy on the issuance of SSN some may have you wait for 21 days b4 you can apply.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Resistor: 2:15pm On Dec 11, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:
House, somebody(with family of 4) needs your advice on this question; will you rather invest N2.5 million on business in Nigeria than procesing a dv lottery after you have been sucessfully selected?
Don't even think about it! I wouldn't stay a minute longer in Naija,even with a billion naira to invest.Do you know that,once you won the DV,your worth per head immediately appreciates to about a million dollars?What kind of investment can 2.5million naira secure in Naija of today?My candid piece of advice,if not for yourself,follow the DV route for the future of your dependants.Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by abesin01(m): 2:16pm On Dec 11, 2012
Pls house , on the average ,how much should a single dv have to sustain before getting a job in usa ?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 2:23pm On Dec 11, 2012
pendusky:
does that matter? is i bet you if u can interpret the Op post in yoruba language which is ur own language without blunders, then i'll quit internet for 5 years! INWANG NTE AFO!
grin grin grin grin,u go miss nairaland oooo anyways idea is need grin grin hope my english is correct?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 2:32pm On Dec 11, 2012
isholabode: ;DThe poster made very valid & valuable points. In the US, an immigrant would need to wake up to so many rude shocks. You'll find out that most job applications would take you through tests online and our resume styles differ. Date of birth,marital status,place of birth etc are taboos in the US resume!
How do you handle the issue of having 'an accent'. Many words disparity nko? What is 'surname'? They only know 'last name'. Trousers na pants! Toilet na bathroom! Car bonnet and boot na hood and trunk! House TO LET na FOR RENT! There's just so much to learn. It's harder for young children who might get teased at school or at play. Older immigrants probably have thicker skins.The weather is another issue . You can be comfortable in the US as long as u can afford the bills!
The experience can be daunting but the rewards make up for all the hassles.

Isholabode, apart from those uncontrollable factors you highlighted, the problem of Host-to-new comers is another issue, our people here are just too hostile to one another, I had a story of a girl who was maltreated and sent into the cold just because she complained of sitting at home baby sitting for her host for several months.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adamooye5(m): 2:39pm On Dec 11, 2012
my question abt visa lottery is,do they give it to pple who r graduate and r already working in Nigeria?cos I applied in d 1 dat jst finished.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 2:41pm On Dec 11, 2012
abesin01: Pls house , on the average ,how much should a single dv have to sustain before getting a job in usa ?

Bros it all depends on how you can manage yourself and the support of your host, you cant avoid the first three weeks of waiting period,even if you have have $5000 and you keep moving from one mall to another you may end up spending all the money.But make sure you prepare for at least 3 months wages for yourself before you get a job.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by ebykings(f): 2:42pm On Dec 11, 2012
adamooye5: my question abt visa lottery is,do they give it to pple who r graduate and r already working in Nigeria?cos I applied in d 1 dat jst finished.

The minimum qualification for DV application is O' level result
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Justbright(m): 2:52pm On Dec 11, 2012
@adesoji,I really blessed God 4 pple like u whom after leavin d shores of dis country still find time to give usefull advise to d potential dv winner..dnt mind d Grammarians in d house,dats wot frustration and poverty can cause....am nt a winner yet bt one day I kno I wll win...though I av a gud federal job here in naija and am well paid but I wish to have d green card so dat my children could have a better future and be secured..pls keep ur advice and experiences coming in...thanks

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by sigmaseller: 3:17pm On Dec 11, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

Sure, there are several categories of Visa.

Pls like aw much am I gonna av to set aside to process nd secure a visa plus ticket nd every oda expenses? Aw much will all dis cost me. I dnt av anyone abroad, I wanna go nd hussle. Cnt wait  leave dis hell country
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 3:28pm On Dec 11, 2012
Gabriel_sylar: Is going to america the same as going to heaven? Cos some people re talking as if the now have eternal life...GC,SSN bla bla dis are the 47% roomney spoke about....winning lottery dosent mean u start acting like victims..pple like us left america to return to naija and we are happier

Your Mr 47%(Romney) went for a free lunch with POTUS last week,is that not a food stamp grin
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by fregur: 3:37pm On Dec 11, 2012
sandraluck12: The first thought of any person relocating to America, is what am i expected to bring along that is IMPORTANT, so as to avoid excess luggage and un-wanted/un-useful items. Now, let me share this few tips with you:

First, get your transcript from your universities for those who are graduates and send it to the world education center for evaluation purposes and storage, so that they can send it to anywhere you want in the world in a jiffy without the stress of asking people back home to do it for you or traveling back home. For the hand-skilled, have your basic materials/tools with you.
It is advisable to go back to school after a year or two of settling down so as to help in getting a better job than doing survival jobs all the time. Ensure it has got to the world education center before you leave your country because some hiccups can happen and you have to repeat the process. It happened to someone i know, she did it 3 times! It was due to negligence and mis-spelt address.

Secondly,clothes. Yes, America is the land of fashion and quality stuffs right? NO! Remember, it is the same China that supply them! Some shops sell quality, some semi-quality, some poor quality. I have visited the three type of shops and i can only afford the semi-quality and flee from the poor-quality though it was cheap. The quality-shops are pricy! As a hustling Nigerian, i don't have that kind of money.

Don't go about giving away all your clothes, thinking you will go on a shopping spree here. Ok! if you have the money though.*shrugs* Keep all your best jeans and shirts, suits and NATIVES! See the capitalization? Yes, have many native attires as you can, but QUALITY, see another capitalization? So that it can last the test of time, and not fade after some washings.Likewise your outing and casual shoes/slippers. The only clothes to buy IMMEDIATELY on arrival,is the winter attires if you come during fall/autumn/winter season. The reason for this,takes me to the third advise.

Thirdly,MONEY! See, another capitalization here? We all know the influence of money huh? It can make or mar any relationship. So be very PRUDENT! another emphasis. Don't come as as tourist since you know you have come to STAY! Save your money. Whatever amount you bring along, quickly open a bank account and save 3/4 of that amount and check 1/4 into your debit card for spending. Avoid using your credit cards instantly until you get a job because you will have to take from your savings to pay for it, thus defeating the objective of saving in the first place! Yes, it will help in your credit rating,that you will need when to rent an accommodation, but it is not wise at that moment.

You should stay with a host for few weeks to get your bearing, and depending on your relationship, and how fast you are able to get a job, then get an apartment. Your host can assist you if he/she has a good credit rating or appeal to someone who trust them to help you. That is when you will need your savings to buy the basic things in the apartment and feed.Contribute to the house keeping of your host with common sense, buy groceries that are needed and don't be a glutton, though food is affordable, and plentiful, it does not mean you can go on a eating spree. Immigrants are very concerned about every dime they spend!

A guy shared an apartment with other guys hustling like him. He realized he was the one spending more in the home simply because he just arrived from Nigeria. The other guys always complained of no money for the fact that they had been staying in America for many years. He was yet to get a job and his money was dwindling down. Do you know what he did? He sent the money back home to his account and kept a little,and was managing that until he got a survival job. The money came handy when it was time for him to move into his own apartment. If not he would have squandered every dime and be at the mercy of his host, and here in America, everybody bears his father's name!

The MOST important advise of all is that, DO NOT OVER STAY YOUR WELCOME IN YOUR HOST HOME! It will cause strife!
http://americajourney..com/
Pls I would like to find out hw one can get his transcript to the world education centre...responses would be highly appreciated.Thanks
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by teemola(f): 3:50pm On Dec 11, 2012
fregur:
Pls I would like to find out hw one can get his transcript to the world education centre...responses would be highly appreciated.Thanks

Check this link out for your answer http://www.wes.org/fees/icap.asp
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by seyenko(m): 3:54pm On Dec 11, 2012
Hello nairalanders - just wondering if America is still a place to be with the fiscal cliff issue and a $15 Trillion dollar debt burden. Why should one go and put his family into a debt they did not create? Is Naija not a better place at this point? Someone should please give me a value added reason. Thank you
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by code0: 4:04pm On Dec 11, 2012
Following
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by teemola(f): 4:11pm On Dec 11, 2012
seyenko: Hello nairalanders - just wondering if America is still a place to be with the fiscal cliff issue and a $15 Trillion dollar debt burden. Why should one go and put his family into a debt they did not create? Is Naija not a better place at this point? Someone should please give me a value added reason. Thank you

Naija a better place compare to US or what? Forget the fiscal cliff, the economy is rebounding;the unemployment rate drops to 7.7% last month, most of the manufacturing company coming back( at least I know that of Apple), the housing market is improving.

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by abesin01(m): 4:21pm On Dec 11, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

Bros it all depends on how you can manage yourself and the support of your host, you cant avoid the first three weeks of waiting period,even if you have have $5000 and you keep moving from one mall to another you may end up spending all the money.But make sure you prepare for at least 3 months wages for yourself before you get a job.

thanks for the response.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Sheguama: 7:24pm On Dec 11, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

Thanks kapositive,The government is not helping us, if we cant help ourselves then we are stupid.

Eeyaa! Just started going through this thread. But this is really touching. I salute you brother.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Raxxye(m): 7:33pm On Dec 11, 2012
pendusky:
Da, ame harsh o!

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by REVOLUTNIS: 7:41pm On Dec 11, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

Thank you sir, I am working on that.
You are a gentleman. i like that

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by deeozi(m): 7:54pm On Dec 11, 2012
I really apprec8all the information. my question are 1. What is the effect of apply for a Dv lottery when i donot have any person over there in the states. 2.Do I need a foreign address to process my document when I am eventually selected. I applied for the 2014 Dv lottery. contribution will be aprec8ed
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by henrysam(m): 8:59pm On Dec 11, 2012
Gbenge 77: so many grammatical blunders in your post.
U live by grammar u die by it. What has grammar got to do with the betterment of ur life, if not for personal aggradisment. Idea is need joor.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Jim241gidi(m): 9:08pm On Dec 11, 2012
Interesting thread,leave d English teacher!u guy's should knw dat nt all Male is a Men,let focus on d thread.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Ibracadabra: 9:16pm On Dec 11, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

The first letter is 1-797C, Notice of action that your VISA packet was received at the point of entry where you entered The United state, then your Green Card.Sometimes it depends on the State policy on the issuance of SSN some may have you wait for 21 days b4 you can apply.

Supp bro... I'm stuck in d 21 days waiting period here in America- and its getting very boring. Pls is there any link that explicitly details d processes u described above- i.e things that happen after point of entry and forms that will b received by d immigrant during this period. Such a link would b very helpful.... I remember u saying something about studying for driver's test; do u still have dat link as well?
Kindly assist with both links- if available... Thanks a lot
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 9:59pm On Dec 11, 2012
Ibrac.the letter handed to you by the CO for collection of VISA after a successful interview gives a comprehensive information of what to expect at the POE and the waiting period, you can also find a useful info on this USCIS site too http://search.uscis.gov/search?affiliate=82601b2ec&query=how+long+does+the+process+take

enjoy the snow brodaman!
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 10:01pm On Dec 11, 2012
deeozi: I really apprec8all the information. my question are 1. What is the effect of apply for a Dv lottery when i donot have any person over there in the states. 2.Do I need a foreign address to process my document when I am eventually selected. I applied for the 2014 Dv lottery. contribution will be aprec8ed

Yes u need a Contact person and a correct US address for your GC sake.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by fflamingo(m): 11:01pm On Dec 11, 2012
Yeah thanks every one have really been following this page... And had been. Quite interesting and letting me to feel like a residence but have been deprived of that righT... Lemme explain futher I applied for the dv2013 with a single status I.e alone but unknown to me my gF has done her of which later include my name as a participant I.e marrieD.
I now humbly askeD maybe I still paraventure have a chance to participate
Pls urgent reply......
Thank in anticipation...
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 1:33am On Dec 12, 2012
fflamingo: Yeah thanks every one have really been following this page... And had been. Quite interesting and letting me to feel like a residence but have been deprived of that righT... Lemme explain futher I applied for the dv2013 with a single status I.e alone but unknown to me my gF has done her of which later include my name as a participant I.e marrieD.
I now humbly askeD maybe I still paraventure have a chance to participate
Pls urgent reply......
Thank in anticipation...

Sorry for this late response, were you or your gf selected for further processing?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by statesman22(m): 4:09am On Dec 12, 2012
Hi Adesojiadereni,I love your recent post on nairaland and pls i would really appreciate if u can assist me with more information on how to go about the USA dv-program.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (88) (Reply)

Lies Of Nigerians Living In America / Authenticity Of Documents At Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Abuja / Any Nairalander In Abidjan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.