Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,384 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (176305 Views)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / What Stops Nigeria From Having A Diversity Visa Lottery Program? / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (88) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Ibracadabra: 5:28am On Dec 12, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:
Ibrac.the letter handed to you by the CO for collection of VISA after a successful interview gives a comprehensive information of what to expect at the POE and the waiting period, you can also find a useful info on this USCIS site too http://search.uscis.gov/search?affiliate=82601b2ec&query=how+long+does+the+process+take

enjoy the snow brodaman!

O boy. this waiting no funny o...lol.. I wanna start other processes and get to the 'job search' phase. Anyway; your link has been very helpful. Here are some things I want to highlight tho from of the links.It says here:

You do not need to fill out an application or go to a
Social Security office to get a Social Security number if:
• You asked for a Social Security number or card when
you applied for an immigrant visa AND
• You applied for an immigrant visa in October 2002
or later AND
• You were age 18 or older when you came to the
United States.

Another part of the Document says:

Contact the
Social Security Administration if you do not get your
card within three weeks after coming to the U.S. or if
you change your mailing address after you come to the
U.S. but before you receive your SSN card.
You must go to a Social Security office to get a SSN if:
• You did not ask for a Social Security number or card
when you applied for an immigrant visa OR
• You applied for your immigrant visa before October
2002 OR
• You were under age 18 when you came to the U.S.

So bro; does it mean that whether or not we visit the Social Service office; we'd still have our SSN sent to us?

SECOND QUESTION:
Another part of the USCIS document says:
There are some things you must
do to maintain your permanent
resident status.These are also
important to remember if you
plan to apply for U.S. citizenship in
the future.
• Don’t leave the United States for
an extended period of time or
move to another country to live
there permanently.
• File federal, state, and, if applicable,
local income tax returns.
• Register with the Selective
Service, if you are a male
between the ages of 18 and 26.
• Give your new address to DHS.

My question is with item 3: What is the Selective Service all about because I fall into that category?

The same document goes on to say:
If you are a man and you are 18 to 26 years old, you
must register with the Selective Service.When you register,
you tell the government that you are available to serve
in the U.S. Armed
Forces.The United
States does not have
a military draft now.
This means that
permanent residents
and citizens do not
have to serve in the Armed Forces unless they want to.
You can register at a United States post office or on the
Internet.To register for Selective Service on the Internet,
visit the Selective Service website: http://www.sss.gov.
To speak with someone from the Selective Service, call
847-688-6888.This is not a free call.

Sorry for the long post- any input will be appreciated tho
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by fregur: 8:17am On Dec 12, 2012
teemola:

Check this link out for your answer http://www.wes.org/fees/icap.asp
Teemola thanks so much fr d reply.hw do I send it to them?Do I need scan or send d hard copy to them.I hv my student copy..Pls can u give me a detailed description of the process.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by fregur: 8:19am On Dec 12, 2012
teemola:

Check this link out for your answer http://www.wes.org/fees/icap.asp
Teemola,thanks so much for the reply.
Pls hw do I send it to them?Do I need to scan or send d hard copy to them.I hv my student copy..Pls can u give me a detailed description of the process.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 8:49am On Dec 12, 2012
fregur:
Teemola,thanks so much for the reply.
Pls hw do I send it to them?Do I need to scan or send d hard copy to them.I hv my student copy..Pls can u give me a detailed description of the process.

Please submit clear and legible photocopies of word-for-word English translations along with your foreign language documents. Please do not send original translation documents as they cannot be returned.
If you need to identify a professional translation service, you may contact University Language Services, Inc. (ULS) at 1-800-419-4601. (Outside the U.S., call 212-766-4111.) All arrangements must be made directly with ULS or any other certified translation service of your choice.

Please do not send originals in your possession unless specifically requested by WES.

If you have any questions about required documents, contact WES for further information.

To send documents to WES, please use the following addresses:

By Postal Mail
World Education Services
P. O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
USA

By Express Courier *
World Education Services
64 Beaver St, #146
New York, NY 10004
USA
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by fregur: 8:52am On Dec 12, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

Please submit clear and legible photocopies of word-for-word English translations along with your foreign language documents. Please do not send original translation documents as they cannot be returned.
If you need to identify a professional translation service, you may contact University Language Services, Inc. (ULS) at 1-800-419-4601. (Outside the U.S., call 212-766-4111.) All arrangements must be made directly with ULS or any other certified translation service of your choice.

Please do not send originals in your possession unless specifically requested by WES.

If you have any questions about required documents, contact WES for further information.

By Postal Mail
World Education Services
P. O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
USA

By Express Courier *
World Education Services
64 Beaver St, #146
New York, NY 10004
USA
Soo do I send a photocopy of d student copy I hv with me?after sending to them,wat next?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by fregur: 8:58am On Dec 12, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

By Postal Mail
World Education Services
P. O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
USA

By Express Courier *
World Education Services
64 Beaver St, #146
New York, NY 10004
USA
Hw can I reach u bro?any contact details pls?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 8:59am On Dec 12, 2012
Ibracadabra:

O boy. this waiting no funny o...lol.. I wanna start other processes and get to the 'job search' phase. Anyway; your link has been very helpful. Here are some things I want to highlight tho from of the links.It says here:

You do not need to fill out an application or go to a
Social Security office to get a Social Security number if:
• You asked for a Social Security number or card when
you applied for an immigrant visa AND
• You applied for an immigrant visa in October 2002
or later AND
• You were age 18 or older when you came to the
United States.

Another part of the Document says:

Contact the
Social Security Administration if you do not get your
card within three weeks after coming to the U.S. or if
you change your mailing address after you come to the
U.S. but before you receive your SSN card.
You must go to a Social Security office to get a SSN if:
• You did not ask for a Social Security number or card
when you applied for an immigrant visa OR
• You applied for your immigrant visa before October
2002 OR
• You were under age 18 when you came to the U.S.

So bro; does it mean that whether or not we visit the Social Service office; we'd still have our SSN sent to us?

SECOND QUESTION:
Another part of the USCIS document says:
There are some things you must
do to maintain your permanent
resident status.These are also
important to remember if you
plan to apply for U.S. citizenship in
the future.
• Don’t leave the United States for
an extended period of time or
move to another country to live
there permanently.
• File federal, state, and, if applicable,
local income tax returns.
• Register with the Selective
Service, if you are a male
between the ages of 18 and 26.
• Give your new address to DHS.

My question is with item 3: What is the Selective Service all about because I fall into that category?

The same document goes on to say:
If you are a man and you are 18 to 26 years old, you
must register with the Selective Service.When you register,
you tell the government that you are available to serve
in the U.S. Armed
Forces.The United
States does not have
a military draft now.
This means that
permanent residents
and citizens do not
have to serve in the Armed Forces unless they want to.
You can register at a United States post office or on the
Internet.To register for Selective Service on the Internet,
visit the Selective Service website: http://www.sss.gov.
To speak with someone from the Selective Service, call
847-688-6888.This is not a free call.

Sorry for the long post- any input will be appreciated tho

The Selective Service System is a means by which the United States government maintains information on those potentially subject to military conscription. Most male U.S. citizens and male immigrant non-citizens between the ages of 18 and 25 are required by law to have registered within 30 days of their 18th birthdays[2][3] and must notify Selective Service within ten days of any changes to any of the information they provided on their registration cards, like a change of address.[4] A 2010 GAO report estimated the registration rate at 92% with the names and addresses of over 16.2 million men on file.[1][5]
Registration for Selective Service is also required for various federal programs and benefits, including student loans, job training, federal employment, and naturalization.[6]
The Selective Service System provides the names of all registrants to the Joint Advertising Marketing Research & Studies (JAMRS) program for inclusion in the JAMRS Consolidated Recruitment Database. The names are distributed to the Services for recruiting purposes on a quarterly basis.[7]
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 9:05am On Dec 12, 2012
fregur:
Hw can I reach u bro?any contact details pls?

adesojiaderei@ymail.com
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 9:13am On Dec 12, 2012
fregur:
Soo do I send a photocopy of d student copy I hv with me?after sending to them,wat next?

PLs do not send original, make a photocopy and send it to them.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by lawizle(m): 9:21am On Dec 12, 2012
salsera:

I concur
LOl!!!

Grammatical errors now and then are understandable

As long as its not the posters who turn liberties of social media and text messages to write posts that are incomprehensible(abeg check whether that spelling was correct)as an excuse for poor grammar.

Back to topic
Not a DV holder but my parents were almost 7yrs ago, I was much older than 21 then.

Do you have any information on filing for adult children who are over 21. By the way they are citizens now

Does winning a visa lottery make you an American citizen or do you av to spend some years b4 you become one....coz I heard d story of a guy dat was deported even despite winning visa lottery...dunno how true.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by fregur: 9:25am On Dec 12, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

Ok,after dat wat next..hw do I pay d required fees and all.do I need to attach any personal information or details?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by lawizle(m): 9:42am On Dec 12, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:
House, somebody(with family of 4) needs your advice on this question; will you rather invest N2.5 million on business in Nigeria than procesing a dv lottery after you have been sucessfully selected?

Is d processing dat stressful & expensive
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 9:48am On Dec 12, 2012
lawizle:

Does winning a visa lottery make you an American citizen or do you av to spend some years b4 you become one....coz I heard d story of a guy dat was deported even despite winning visa lottery...dunno how true.

The Diversity Immigrant Visa program is a United States congressionally mandated lottery program for receiving a United States Permanent Resident Card. It is also known as the Green Card Lottery which creates a direct path way to obtaining The United State Citizenship.As a green card holder you are expected to abide the law of The United State failure to abide by law may cause a serious damage to one status.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 9:54am On Dec 12, 2012
fregur:
Ok,after dat wat next..hw do I pay d required fees and all.do I need to attach any personal information or details?

Fregur I will advice you ask the expert on this thread for more practical experience https://www.nairaland.com/994108/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part3
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 9:57am On Dec 12, 2012
lawizle:

Is d processing dat stressful & expensive

bros na only bad thing dey cheap,even to become Naija citizen is costly if you need am undecided
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 12, 2012
@ adesoji,temmy,brightmon,ibra,bobshina and co.........pls try and cheer them up......the remaining dv13 winner on their thread.i realized that most of them aint happy @ all due to the low visa bulletin number.........tension don high ooooo

2 Likes

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by fflamingo(m): 10:56am On Dec 12, 2012
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by fflamingo(m): 1:06pm On Dec 12, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

Sorry for this late response, were you or your gf selected for further processing?

no!!!
i only register this November 2012 and hoping if my name could be out please put me through
thanks
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 1:16pm On Dec 12, 2012
fflamingo:

no!!!
i only register this November 2012 and hoping if my name could be out please put me through
thanks

fflamingo, there is no shortcut to it, all you need to do is to prayerfully commit it to the hand of the Lord.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by jidex001(m): 2:24pm On Dec 12, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

Hi Soji, what about undergraduate student. You know the school won't want to release transcript to the student. And what I read in the d website of wes. Is that the sch should package the transcript with the form and it should be counter sign the envelope. I am still confuse on how the fees will be paid. Pls can you talk about it.

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Ibracadabra: 2:27pm On Dec 12, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

fflamingo, there is no shortcut to it, all you need to do is to prayerfully commit it to the hand of the Lord.

Gbam!
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Ibracadabra: 2:31pm On Dec 12, 2012
jidex001:

Hi Soji, what about undergraduate student. You know the school won't want to release transcript to the student. And what I read in the d website of wes. Is that the sch should package the transcript with the form and it should be counter sign the envelope. I am still confuse on how the fees will be paid. Pls can you talk about it.

Fees would b paid to WES for d evaluation.... Just concern yourself with having your school mail your transcripts to them. When that is done; you can now pay online for your WES evaluation... If you have problems with payment procedure; u can always contact them via telephone and I'm sure they'll b happy to direct you on how to Ĝø about it
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by jidex001(m): 3:13pm On Dec 12, 2012
Ibracadabra:

Fees would b paid to WES for d evaluation.... Just concern yourself with having your school mail your transcripts to them. When that is done; you can now pay online for your WES evaluation... If you have problems with payment procedure; u can always contact them via telephone and I'm sure they'll b happy to direct you on how to Ĝø about it

Well, sure I will also contact them when the time comes. Thanks and hope u doing good.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:31am On Dec 13, 2012
One more thing for new immigrant;you may do yourself a big favor by getting your driving record while coming to US, because auto insurance may be a heck.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Leripa(m): 10:12am On Dec 13, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:
One more thing for new immigrant;you may do yourself a big favor by getting your driving record while coming to US, because auto insurance may be a heck.

Noted sir.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by bigfrancis21: 5:17pm On Dec 13, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:
Please, by driving record, do you mean the drivers license? Or is the driving record a separate document? Please clear me on this. Thank you sir.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Justbright(m): 6:51pm On Dec 13, 2012
Pls house,how soon can anyone who wins a dv lottery leave america bak to nigeria?I have a well paid job in nigeria and I dnt intent to leave it..I want d green card 4 easy entry and exit...and after am pensinable I hope to go there to stay and most importantly 4 d sake of my children,I want d best of western education 4 dem..thanks 4 ur anticipated reply
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 6:56pm On Dec 13, 2012
Just bright: Pls house,how soon can anyone who wins a dv lottery leave america bak to nigeria?I have a well paid job in nigeria and I dnt intent to leave it..I want d green card 4 easy entry and exit...and after am pensinable I hope to go there to stay and most importantly 4 d sake of my children,I want d best of western education 4 dem..thanks 4 ur anticipated reply
sorry,if you are the principal applicants,you cant do as you wish. You must make USA ur country of residency and not leave outside USA for more than 6months,though you maybe allowed to go outside US for a year but must give immigration gud reason why you are doing so(u maybe denied if you give job reason). YOUR GOOD JOB IN NAIJA OR USA?pick one
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:37am On Dec 14, 2012
bigfrancis21:
Please, by driving record, do you mean the drivers license? Or is the driving record a separate document? Please clear me on this. Thank you sir.

If you have had a driver's license from outside of the United States in the past three years, you need to contact the agency that issued this license to obtain an official copy of your driving record.
Nigeria:
Lagos State: Contact your Federal Road Safety Commission
Ojodu - Isheri Road
P.M.B. 21510 Ikeja, Lagos State
Phone: 01-7933148, 01-7200066
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by bigfrancis21: 8:43am On Dec 14, 2012
adesojiaderemi@:

If you have had a driver's license from outside of the United States in the past three years, you need to contact the agency that issued this license to obtain an official copy of your driving record.
Nigeria:
Lagos State: Contact your Federal Road Safety Commission
Ojodu - Isheri Road
P.M.B. 21510 Ikeja, Lagos State
Phone: 01-7933148, 01-7200066
Okay. Thank you sir.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 1:49pm On Dec 15, 2012
Foreign nationals who seek permanent
residence in the United States and receive
an IMMIGRANT VISA will need to pay a USCIS
Immigrant Fee beginning February 1, 2013.

The new fee of $165 was established in
USCIS’s final rule adjusting fees for
IMMIGRATION APPLICATIONS and petitions
announced on Sept. 24, 2010. USCIS has
worked closely with the Department of State
(DOS) to implement the new fee which
allows USCIS to recover the cost of
processing that is performed in the United
States after immigrant visa holders receive
their visa packages from DOS and are
admitted to the United States.

Note: Applicants will now have two separate
fees to pay. They are still required to pay
the DOS visa application processing fee, and
will now also have to pay the USCIS
Immigrant Fee.

What the Fee Covers

The immigrant fee will cover the cost of
USCIS staff time to handle, file and
maintain the immigrant visa package, and
the cost of producing and delivering the
permanent resident card.

Who Needs to Pay the Fees

ANY INDIVIDUAL who on or after February 1,
2013 receives an IMMIGRANT VISA package
from a United States consulate or embassy
abroad (including Canada and Mexico) WILL PAY the USCIS Immigrant Fee.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by gunners4u: 2:35pm On Dec 15, 2012
Bros i was issued my visa nov 19, am i going to pay d fees too?

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (88) (Reply)

Lies Of Nigerians Living In America / Authenticity Of Documents At Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Abuja / Any Nairalander In Abidjan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.