Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,404 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America - Travel (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (176645 Views)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / What Stops Nigeria From Having A Diversity Visa Lottery Program? / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (88) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by opeyemayomide(f): 1:09pm On May 02, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

Please ensure you fill the forms appropriately.

Thanks!
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Nobody: 1:19pm On May 02, 2013
America dreams
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by agbaawo: 8:42pm On May 02, 2013
Hello house mate i greet you all i just landed here in Irving Texas please house mates how do i get register for SSN and Green Card for me and my wife?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:25pm On May 02, 2013
agbaawo: Hello house mate i greet you all i just landed here in Irving Texas please house mates how do i get register for SSN and Green Card for me and my wife?

You are welcome, have you pay the processing fee? if yes, except your green card within 10-20 working days.You can also locate the Department of homeland security within Irvin and apply for ssc
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:27pm On May 02, 2013
akaniman: @Mogzy hw ar u?wats was ur conclusion abt ur relocation now?I will like u to answer this question, last dec u said u are asked to come 4 anoder biometrics 0n d 3rd of jan,and u got ur green card Dec. Do u still go to their office as requested on 3rd of jan?wat was their response? I will apprc8t ur response pls.

bros I sent a mail to your inbox I don't know if you get it.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by agbaawo: 2:02am On May 03, 2013
@adesojiaderemi:
No i have not pay the fee yet but will pay it very soon.
what will i need to apply for the ssn?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by seal777(m): 3:31am On May 03, 2013
After 30 days,i went to the DPS office for my state ID and my drivers license....got my state Id done instantly and also took the computer test for the drivers license and passed.

Scheduled for road test come 28th May, got all my documents while waiting for the road test.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 3:48am On May 03, 2013
agbaawo: @adesojiaderemi:
No i have not pay the fee yet but will pay it very soon.
what will i need to apply for the ssn?

Your Passport and your birth cert.I will advice you complete your green card on time.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 3:53am On May 03, 2013
seal777: After 30 days,i went to the DPS office for my state ID and my drivers license....got my state Id done instantly and also took the computer test for the drivers license and passed.

Scheduled for road test come 28th May, got all my documents while waiting for the road test.

congratulations, but you cant have the two together;it is either driver's license or state id.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by honeydee: 5:43am On May 03, 2013
Hi guys could sm1 pls tell me the procedure for getting my ssn in new york and the documents required for that if any?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by akaniman: 7:03am On May 03, 2013
@adesoji aderemi,tks my broder I got d mail,hw s family and work?hv a nc day
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by opeyemayomide(f): 7:41am On May 03, 2013
k
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:44am On May 03, 2013
honeydee: Hi guys could sm1 pls tell me the procedure for getting my ssn in new york and the documents required for that if any?

You only need your Nigeria pp with the VIsa page (provided it is still valid)and your birth certificate, locate The department of Homeland security closest to you.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:48am On May 03, 2013
opeyemayomide: Hello Guys,

My current employer has an office in Texas. Can I fill this address as my permanent address on the form DS-0230? Since this is an office does it matter?

You can fill the address, but do you trust the address with documents? a resident address will do much better I beg.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:08pm On May 03, 2013
Black lawmakers and civil rights groups are concerned by a proposal in the Senate's immigration reform bill that would do away with “diversity” visas that are often a pathway for African and Caribbean immigrants to enter the United States.

Advocates said they haven't seen evidence yet that a new merit-based program is an acceptable replacement for the diversity visas, which total 55,000 each year and are granted via a lottery.

Hilary Shelton, director of the NAACP Washington bureau, said he is telling lawmakers not to eliminate the diversity program when comprehensive immigration reform moves forward.

“At this point, we are urging lawmakers not to eliminate the diversity visa program,” Shelton told The Hill. “This is one of the places in the bill that needs to be addressed. We will work with our friends in the Senate, and we have started working with our friends in the House as well.”

Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), co-chairman of the immigration task force for the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC), called the Senate bill “a significant step in the right direction” but said his caucus is worried about the plan to eliminate diversity visas.

“With respect to the abolishment of the diversity visa lottery program, the CBC is extremely concerned that it might limit the future flow of immigration for people from certain parts of the world,” Jeffries said. “That’s troublesome, and we’re evaluating the merit-based visa proposal to determine if it's fair and balanced.”

The diversity program makes 55,000 visas available each year to countries with low immigration rates to the United States. Those awarded the visas are chosen by a lottery, with about half typically going to African immigrants.

Republican lawmakers have targeted the program in the past for elimination, arguing the program's lottery system can lead to fraud and undermine national security.

The Senate bill proposes ending the diversity visas in 2015 and creating a new, merit-based visa program. It would make 120,000 visas available per year, rising to a maximum of 250,000, depending on the need for them and the unemployment rate. Immigrants would earn points toward visas based on their education, employment, family ties and other criteria.

“The jury is still out on whether the merit-based visas will be sufficient to address the concerns we have identified with diversity visas,” said Wade Henderson, president and CEO of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights. “We are concerned but we are still looking, and we are still making a decision.”

Some groups are furious with lawmakers for putting the diversity program on the chopping block.

“This is not a zero-sum game where we take from one to give to another. That is not how comprehensive immigration reform should work,” said Bertha Lewis, president of The Black Institute. “We are really, really angry about this diversity visa business.”

Jeffries said it was “too early to say” whether he would support the Senate bill without changes. The CBC is in talks with lawmakers negotiating a House immigration overhaul, he said.

“The situation is still very much in flux, and we won’t know until the end of the month what that bill might ultimately look like,” Jeffries said.

Rep. Steven Horsford (D-Nev.), another co-chairman of the CBC's immigration task force, said the group met on Wednesday afternoon to discuss the diversity visa issue.

“We continue to be concerned about the discontinuation of the diversity waiver, and the fact that … African and Caribbean immigrants who are participating in the diversity visa [program] per year could lose that pathway,” Horsford said.

Horsford said CBC leaders have been in talks with immigration reform negotiators in both the House and the Senate. He suggested the merit-based replacement program was included in the Senate bill at the urging of the CBC.

“In large part, this alternative has been proposed because of our concerns with the diversity visa [discontinuation]. Meaning, we brought this issue up when we heard that it was being talked about [being] eliminated,” Horsford said. “And we said, ‘Look, without some meaningful alternative that ensures that all communities, including Caribbean and African immigrants, are protected, then, you know, we [the CBC] would have major concern.’”

Horsford said Rep. Yvette Clarke (D-N.Y.), another leader of the CBC’s immigration task force, has been in talks with Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), a member of the Senate's "Gang of Eight," about diversity visas.

“And now that we have the language, and now that we can see the alternative specifically, we can, you know, begin to work on how it affects our communities,” Horsford said.

Horsford said he expected the House immigration reform bill would have similar language related to diversity visas and the merit-based replacement program.

Shelton of the NAACP said he was hoping for “a strengthening” of the diversity visa program in the immigration reform bill by increasing its numbers of visas and expediting their processing time.

“It has not been demonstrated yet that the merit-based visas that are being lifted up will solve the problems that diversity visas were intended to solve,” Shelton said. “There may be a need for an amendment to fix this problem in the future to help African and Caribbean immigrants

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 12:32pm On May 03, 2013
agbaawo: Hello house mate i greet you all i just landed here in Irving Texas please house mates how do i get register for SSN and Green Card for me and my wife?
search USCIS website to locate the closest SSN office to you but i guess some of the SSN offices in TX dont do SSN until they see your green card.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by opeyemayomide(f): 1:04pm On May 03, 2013
[quote author=adesojiaderemi@]

Y
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by owobabaisabella: 4:17pm On May 03, 2013
seal777: After 30 days,i went to the DPS office for my state ID and my drivers license....got my state Id done instantly and also took the computer test for the drivers license and passed.

Scheduled for road test come 28th May, got all my documents while waiting for the road test.z

@seal777, please which one is state ID?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by agbaawo: 4:36pm On May 03, 2013
@adesojiaderemi
I have made the payment this morning but there is one thing that i dont know is it when i get my green card that i can go for my ssn?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by honeydee: 6:40pm On May 03, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

You only need your Nigeria pp with the VIsa page (provided it is still valid)and your birth certificate, locate The department of Homeland security closest to you.

Thanks dear. God bless
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by agbaawo: 7:03pm On May 03, 2013
@adesojiaderemi
please after the payment what do i need to do is there any form that i will fill and how do i get the form?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by agbaawo: 9:49pm On May 03, 2013
@adesojiaderemi
Pls the I-94 form where would i get the form fill coz i heard that i suppose fill the form before i made the payment online
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 10:49pm On May 03, 2013
agbaawo: @adesojiaderemi
Pls the I-94 form where would i get the form fill coz i heard that i suppose fill the form before i made the payment online

I am not familiar with the new method, but you can go to USCIS web site and down load the form.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by loconzo00: 12:47am On May 04, 2013
alutaa:

@Loco

Pls, provide your email address so that i can send a mail to you

loconzo2003@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks in advance.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by opeyemayomide(f): 3:40am On May 04, 2013
@
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by akaniman: 5:42am On May 04, 2013
@agbaawo don't boder ursef about form I-94,it is for non-immigrant to fill b4 getting to d POE.USCIS will confirm ur payment b4 ur green card will b mailed to u,so u do not need to fill any form again.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by honeydee: 8:23am On May 04, 2013
opeyemayomide: @Temmytanny/adesojiaderemi/honeydee

I do not understand this instruction on form DSP122 "Using the enclosed self-adhesive return address label" what does this mean?

I bliv that was applicable when notifications were sent via mail.just make sure you fill d forms very accurately and send to them. Take your time so you won't have to start looking for ways to make corrections later cos that can be stressful and if possible when ure tru make a copy for urself so you can refer to the info on it anytym.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by seal777(m): 5:11pm On May 04, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

congratulations, but you cant have the two together;it is either driver's license or state id.

Why not?, They served different purpose, even though one( the driver's license ) can serve the purpose of the other one ( state id ). I got my temporary state id already while expecting the card in the mail in less than 2 weeks and will get my drivers license pretty soon after the road test.

I paid separately for the two ( $16 for the Id and $26 for the drivers license, done the same day and at the same counter at the DPS office.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by seal777(m): 5:17pm On May 04, 2013
owobabaisabella:

@seal777, please which one is state ID?

The identity card of the states you reside as it is required to qualify for some state benefits ( jobs, community college sponsorship, grant and benefits. ( Fashola is planing a similar program in Lagos ).

I am in Texas, applying for same here.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Nobody: 5:19pm On May 04, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

[size=15pt]U can have both[/size] ,but its waste of money, becos both server almost d same purpose except u can't drive with d state ID
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by seal777(m): 5:19pm On May 04, 2013

You need not fill any form, just log on their site,click the payment platform, fill in your details and pick the payment method. Once the payment has been made, you get a mail to that effect and that all.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by seal777(m): 5:23pm On May 04, 2013
I have made the payment this morning but there is one thing that i dont know is it when i get my green card that i can go for my ssn?

So[b]cial security has nothing to do with the Green card, each state have their waiting time to confirm if the homeland office did not not make an automatic request for you based on the information's in the forms you sent to KCC.

Like Houston, we were ask to wait for 21 days to apply if no information gets to them. Go to the SS office in your domain to ask questions instead of waiting at home.

I was ask to wait for 30 days when i got here but went to their office out of curiosity and behold,it was 21 days instead of the 30 days they told me..........I got my social security card in mail 5 days later.[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (88) (Reply)

Lies Of Nigerians Living In America / Authenticity Of Documents At Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Abuja / Any Nairalander In Abidjan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.