Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,790 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:40 PM

Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America - Travel (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (176654 Views)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / What Stops Nigeria From Having A Diversity Visa Lottery Program? / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (88) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:00am On May 05, 2013
ighoosagie:
[size=15pt]U can have both[/size] ,but its waste of money, becos both server almost d same purpose except u can't drive with d state ID

In MA where I leave o, you cant have both driver's license and State ID together, however I learnt if you leave in one state and school in another state you may be allowed to have a state id your school location and still maintain the driver's license of your resident state.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 2:28am On May 05, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

In MA where I leave o, you cant have both driver's license and State ID together, however I learnt if you leave in one state and school in another state you may be allowed to have a state id your school location and still maintain the driver's license of your resident state.
you cant have it too in Texas,when i got my driving license,i was told to destroy my state id
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Nobody: 2:31pm On May 05, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

In Nevada where I live [size=15pt]u can have both[/size],
U don't also need 2 wait 4 days [size=15pt]b4 u apply 4 ssn[/size], Way back I did mine d following day.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by owobabaisabella: 6:27pm On May 05, 2013
seal777: .

The identity card of the states you reside as it is required to qualify for some state benefits ( jobs, community college sponsorship, grant and benefits. ( Fashola is planing a similar program in Lagos ).

I am in Texas, applying for same here.

Ok, thanks
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 9:45am On May 06, 2013
[quote author=ighoosagie]
In Nevada where I live [size=15pt]u can have both[/size],
U don't also need 2 wait 4 days [size=15pt]b4 u apply 4 ssn[/size], Way back I did mine d following day.[/quote

Nevada? I see, thank you for the bolded Prof.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by nkkystel(f): 3:28pm On May 06, 2013
seal777: .

You need not fill any form, just log on their site,click the payment platform, fill in your details and pick the payment method. Once the payment has been made, you get a mail to that effect and that all.
Hello Seal, is it possible to pay the USCIS fee here in Nigeria for my fiance. The Mastercard we intend to use carries my name. If yes, hope ther won't be problems when he gets there. Do I have to make photocopy of the card and give to him. Tnx!
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by akaniman: 7:48pm On May 06, 2013
@nkkystel,u can pay 4 him and he does not need to carry or make any photocopy of ur card along.Ok
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by owobabaisabella: 9:20pm On May 06, 2013
House, please I want to ask what kind of Form are you giving inside the plane or at POE to fill? [color=#000099][/color]
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by chirpywest(m): 11:08pm On May 06, 2013
alutaa:

@Loco

Pls, provide your email address so that i can send a mail to you
plz can u mail me IT course that can be done easily either online or on campus with greater employment and higher wage possiblity? my email address is chirpywest@live.co.uk and am in los angeles. or you can drop the idea here.

//
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 4:53am On May 07, 2013
owobabaisabella: House, please I want to ask what kind of Form are you giving inside the plane or at POE to fill? [color=#000099][/color]
forms to declare wat u have in ur luggage
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by virginofafrica(m): 9:53am On May 07, 2013
just going to USA not even considering that fact that i have nobody their. where will i stay? or are they providing accommodation for people
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Gbenge77(m): 12:11pm On May 07, 2013
virginofafrica: just going to USA not even considering that fact that i have nobody their. where will i stay? or are they providing accommodation for people
No,they do not provide accomodation for DV immigrants.You would have to make arrangements for that.By the DV program, US Authorities only provide you with the chance to migrate to the US hassle free.It is virtually the easiest way to immigrate to the US as a citizen of a third world country.So,be very thankful that you were selected,even if they arent gonna house you.As an LPR,you have practically the same rights as a US citizen,except the right to vote or be voted for in Federal elections.Also,some jobs are reserved for US citizens only.With a green card,you dont need a visa to enter the US anymore.At the airport,You get to queue on the US citizens line,while others sweat it out on the other line.With a green card,you are a step up in the game.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by owobabaisabella: 4:59pm On May 07, 2013
temmytanny: forms to declare wat u have in ur luggage

Thanks temmy,what about form I-94?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by iikkwwoo: 5:24pm On May 07, 2013
please what is the average starting salary for immigrants like us?? is a 10dollar per hour job a good start? embarassed
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by seal777(m): 6:48pm On May 07, 2013
nkkystel:
Hello Seal, is it possible to pay the USCIS fee here in Nigeria for my fiance. The Mastercard we intend to use carries my name. If yes, hope ther won't be problems when he gets there. Do I have to make photocopy of the card and give to him. Tnx!

My Big brother here paid for several people without hassle or any reference, there own is to get the money, them no wan know who pay am.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 7:17pm On May 07, 2013
iikkwwoo: please what is the average starting salary for immigrants like us?? is a 10dollar per hour job a good start? embarassed
the state you are going,your skill,willingness to work,experience etc will determine your pay.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Nobody: 6:42pm On May 09, 2013
Hello house, I'm so sorry for my long absence I got to the united states of america on the 28th of april..I left lagos on the 27th via qatar airways which had a 8hour stop over in doha before proceeding to washington dulles intl airport on the 28th of april by 4:14pm eastern time..I won't lie dis is really Gods own country, its really beautiful I'm staying with my host who stays in bowie in maryland...I went to the social security office to apply on monday the 29th and till now I havnt received anything in the mail including my green card,welcome letter etc I hope there's nothing wrong cos this is the 11th day since I've bin on us soil....

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:48pm On May 09, 2013
tovalli:
Hello house, I'm so sorry for my long absence I got to the united states of america on the 28th of april..I left lagos on the 27th via qatar airways which had a 8hour stop over in doha before proceeding to washington dulles intl airport on the 28th of april by 4:14pm eastern time..I won't lie dis is really Gods own country, its really beautiful I'm staying with my host who stays in bowie in maryland...I went to the social security office to apply on monday the 29th and till now I havnt received anything in the mail including my green card,welcome letter etc I hope there's nothing wrong cos this is the 11th day since I've bin on us soil....

You are welcome tovalli, I don't think there will be any problem; not up to ten working days yet.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by tomnjerry7(m): 2:02pm On May 10, 2013
Empty
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by emwye(m): 2:33pm On May 10, 2013
iikkwwoo: please what is the average starting salary for immigrants like us?? is a 10 dollar per hour job a good start? embarassed

I have to say that the best thing for you to do is acquire some form of American Education as it is the easiest way out of the hustle I see many lottery people going through. Please understand that many US employers completely disregard foreign certificates out of sheer ignorance. In addition, that 10 dollars an hour might seem like its awesome now but if you get caught in the web of bills, you might find it difficult to do anything but work as opposed to taking time to get that competitive edge in America.

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 10, 2013
Thanks egbon
adesojiaderemi@:

You are welcome tovalli, I don't think there will be any problem; not up to ten working days yet.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Sakirasexy: 8:07am On May 11, 2013
[quote author=adesojiaderemi@]

uncle adesoji,please i want to know how taking a three months course in telecommunication,i.e,being trained by an america instituion here in nigeria as a customer care agent will be of advantage to me when i get to the state.reply is needed asap.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:22am On May 11, 2013
[quote author=Sakirasexy][/quote]

Sakirasexy, if you have been selected as a dv winner I will advice you save your money till you come over to US, it is better to confirm if the provider have been accredited to teach that particular course, otherwise the certificate may not be recognize.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:35am On May 11, 2013
Check out these hot degree programs that were built for the school-averse.

Are you eager to further your education but dread that thought of spending several years in school reading textbooks or solving equations? Maybe you're looking to switch jobs but worry about the time commitment involved in starting something new.

Either way, you know you need to go to school - no matter how sleep-inducing sitting in a classroom might be. The good news? Some associate's degree programs could offer a more dynamic, hands-on experience and could be completed in as little as two years.

Sound interesting? Keep reading to learn about five degree programs that are short on years, big on interaction, and smart for careers.

Degree #1: Associate's in Medical Assisting

Are you interested in health care but don't want to spend the better part of a decade with your eyes glazed over in med school? Consider earning an associate's in medical assisting, which could prep you to work alongside doctors and might be earned in as little as two years.

The best part? You'll be active. "Medical assisting programs tend to be hands-on," says Paula Kosin, career consultant at Career Vision, an Illinois-based career counseling service for students and adults. "They keep students for whom school is a challenge engaged with laboratory work as opposed to just reading books."

What You Might Study: A medical assisting program might teach you how to perform procedures - like administering shots - while you get a handle on doctor speak, says the College Board. You might also take classes like clinical procedures for medical assisting, medical terminology, medical software applications, and medical office administration and insuran

Possible Career: An associate's in medical assisting is one way to pursue a career as medical assistant, although in most states there are no formal educational requirements, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. Your duties might include recording patient's information, scheduling appointments, preparing blood for lab tests, and helping the doctor with patient examinations, says the Department of Labor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Degree #2: Associate's in Accounting

If you're good with numbers, but can't bear the thought of spending four years pursuing a bachelor's degree, an associate's degree in accounting might be a shorter option that you can wrap your head around.

"We all know of accountants and CPAs," says Kosin. "But there are other practical applications of math that majoring in accounting can lead to - like bookkeeping." Unlike the multiple years it could take to pursue a CPA, an associate's in accounting might take as little as two years of full-time study.

What You Might Study: According to the College Board, students working toward a degree in accounting could learn how to analyze balance sheets and prepare tax filings while taking classes like cost accounting, auditing, and busines

Possible Career: If you're interested in pursuing a career in bookkeeping, you should know that some employers might prefer those with postsecondary education, says the U.S. Department of Labor. In fact, in 2009, 25 percent of bookkeeping, accounting and auditing clerks had an associate's or higher degree level.

As a bookkeeper, you could produce financial records for organizations, or receive and record cash, checks, and vouchers coming to a company, according to the Department of Labor. You might also use accounting software, notes the Department, to post financial transactions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Degree #3: Associate's in Paralegal Studies

Are you interested in law, but daunted by the thought of burning the midnight oil studying every night in law school? Think about enrolling in an associate's paralegal studies program.

Such a program might give the educationally phobic the best of both worlds. "Paralegal studies provides organized people who like to read and are interested in law with an opportunity to get into the legal arena faster than law school," says Kosin.

What You Might Study: In a paralegal studies program, you might take courses like civil procedure, criminal law and procedure, ethics, and litigation, according to the College Board. Legal research and writing could be another common course, too, so you'll learn your way around a law library and learn to use government documents.

Possible Career: Earning an associate's degree in paralegal studies is one of several paths available to you for pursuing a career as a paralegal or legal assistant, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. As a paralegal, you might help lawyers prepare for trials, research laws, draft documents, and investigate the facts of a case.

Degree #4: Associate's in Dental Assisting

Want to help people maintain their healthy smiles but not sure you want to follow the long educational path toward dentistry? Earning a degree in dental assisting might be a good alternative.

"Dental assisting is typically a one-year certificate or two-year associate's program that you can build on," says Kosin. While completion times will vary from student to student, this program is also ideal for people who loathe the lecture hall because it can often be hands-on. Kosin says that internships offered by some programs can give students a rich experience of working in a dental office before graduating.

What You Might Study: As a dental assisting student, the College Board notes that you could learn how to sterilize equipment and take x-rays and impressions in a dental assisting techniques class. You might also take an oral anatomy course and supplement your clinical coursework with classes like dental office management.

Possible Career: If you're interested in pursuing a career as a dental assistant, some states might require you to pass a state exam and graduate from an accredited program, which could lead to an associate's degree, notes the U.S. Department of Labor. If you land a job in the field, you could be tackling a variety of tasks - from recording dental treatments and taking payments to processing x-rays and handing dentists tools during procedures.

Degree #5: Associate's in Physical Therapy Assistance

If you're an active individual who likes to always be on the go, chances are, pursuing an associate's degree in physical therapy assistance will be right up your alley. Why? Dashing from class to clinic might make your time spent in school feel like it's flying by.

"A PT assistant program is literally hands-on, where you're learning the exercises that help rehabilitate injured patients," says Kosin. She notes that this curriculum keeps students who don't like school engaged with a physical component.

What You Might Study: You will likely learn how to assist physical therapists as they help people recover from injuries, notes the College Board. You could study courses like motor development, rehabilitation procedures, kinesiology, and therapeutic exercise.

Possible Career: With an associate's in physical therapy assistance, you might be prepared to pursue a career as a physical therapist's assistant. Who would have thought?

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, most states require these workers to have an associate's degree from one of many accredited physical therapist programs and to be licensed. As a physical therapy assistant, you might work with a physical therapist to help people cope with pain after injuries or surgery. Your daily grind, notes the Department of Labor, could involve observing patients during therapy and helping them do specific exercises using a variety of techniques and equipment.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by agbaawo: 5:31pm On May 11, 2013
Thanks to you all in the house i have finally settle in Chicago and i have apply for my SSN and i was told told to wait till 3 week for confirmation of my information from immigration office.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by seal777(m): 2:32am On May 12, 2013
QUICK ADVICE PLEASE.

I won the previous edition of the Visa lottery, went through the process and got my visa.

I got married to my then fiancee weeks before i left Nigeria with the hope of filling for her thereafter.

Out of curiosity and Since application for 2014 edition closes before my interview, i entered for the 2014 Visa lottery which result came out few days ago as married and also WON.

Whats the faith of this outcome as it concerns my wife, since i played as married and i am already in the US as a beneficiary of an existing 2013 DV Visa?.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 6:58am On May 12, 2013
seal777: QUICK ADVICE PLEASE.

I won the previous edition of the Visa lottery, went through the process and got my visa.

I got married to my then fiancee weeks before i left Nigeria with the hope of filling for her thereafter.

Out of curiosity and Since application for 2014 edition closes before my interview, i entered for the 2014 Visa lottery which result came out few days ago as married and also WON.

Whats the faith of this outcome as it concerns my wife, since i played as married and i am already in the US as a beneficiary of an existing 2013 DV Visa?.

tough for me to answer but iguess you should mail kcc about this
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Sakirasexy: 9:58am On May 12, 2013
[quote author=adesojiaderemi@
am a dv 2013 winner and will be interviewed in june.please i want to know more about assiatant paralegal.like ow much does it cost ?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:52am On May 12, 2013
Sakirasexy: [quote author=adesojiaderemi@
am a dv 2013 winner and will be interviewed in june.please i want to know more about assiatant paralegal.like ow much does it cost ?

A paralegal works under the supervision of an attorney and performs similar work but does not provide legal advice or argue in court. With ongoing experience, paralegals assume increasingly challenging and responsible projects. While most Paralegals work in law offices, many are also employed in corporate legal departments, insurance companies, government agencies, law enforcement, and social service agencies. You can check online for the cost implication.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by mogzy(m): 10:29pm On May 12, 2013
seal777: QUICK ADVICE PLEASE.

Seal777,

what is the status of the filling you made previously for your wife and how long now have you made the filing?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 10:43pm On May 12, 2013
mogzy:

Seal777,

what is the status of the filling you made previously for your wife and how long now have you made the filing?

...he won 2013 dv as a single, then got marry latter after a successful interview hoping to file for his spouse to join him, meanwhile before the processing of 2013 began, he applied for 2014 dv as married...

bro, I think there is nothing he can do than to file for his wife later, since his wife is not the principal applicant. By the time he go for the biometric the system we reveal all his data.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by seal777(m): 2:59am On May 13, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

...he won 2013 dv as a single, then got marry latter after a successful interview hoping to file for his spouse to join him, meanwhile before the processing of 2013 began, he applied for 2014 dv as married...

bro, I think there is nothing he can do than to file for his wife later, since his wife is not the principal applicant. By the time he go for the biometric the system we reveal all his data.

That's exactly the point. If my wife had won as a principal applicant, it would have been easy to process her own excluding me , since i am here already.

As it stand, Its a no go area.

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (88) (Reply)

Lies Of Nigerians Living In America / Authenticity Of Documents At Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Abuja / Any Nairalander In Abidjan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.