Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,879 members, 7,824,669 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America - Travel (84) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (176695 Views)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / What Stops Nigeria From Having A Diversity Visa Lottery Program? / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by nifty: 3:24am On Jan 09, 2014
Lazylazy: Dear friends pls I need advice. My wife and I moved to the US about 3 months ago. We are still looking for a job. Our host made us registered for the food stamp program.not knowing the rules for legal immigrants....I just found out at that,if you are a legal resident and u have not stayed in the US for 5 years,u can be deported and your sponsor can be sue for letting u become a public charge....pls friens, wat can I do?
We did the applications earlier in the day. I am really confused and I need help.wat can I do?

you cannot be deported for taking food stamp i know a couple here in virginia with 2 kids that get food stamp its not a problem.....what state are you? 3 months is quite long not to get a job.....
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Lazylazy: 3:40am On Jan 09, 2014
nifty:

you cannot be deported for taking food stamp i know a couple here in virginia with 2 kids that get food stamp its not a problem.....what state are you? 3 months is quite long not to get a job.....

I am in texas. I was thinking to go n cancel the application and I have been looking for a job but haven't had one...and I also read that it can affect my citizenship...we have no kids....should I just call n cancel the application?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 09, 2014
Hello good folks, pls I need a clarification on something: as someone who intends to do PhD in the US, do I need to send my MSc transcript to WES? Is the Wes thing only for transfer students?

Thank you.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by faithman2020: 6:47pm On Jan 09, 2014
nifty:

You qualified,the law say you can only access snap for 60month(5years) and if you are earning lower pay you can still continue to enjoy the reduce amount.when filling job application(WOTC) ensure that you mention taking it.As company are giving tax credit for employing snap and cash assistance beneficiary and you get Job faster through that means. Cash assiatance are also giving to family on transition here in Minnesota and five other state. And you can also get free phone with 250 minutes calling credit more from Assurance wireless if your state qualifies.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by faithman2020: 7:09pm On Jan 09, 2014
Pipsland78: Hello good folks, pls I need a clarification on something: as someone who intends to do PhD in the US, do I need to send my MSc transcript to WES? Is the Wes thing only for transfer students?

Thank you.

No,Wes and other evaluation agency will evaluate your credentials and convert it the US credit units.But you can still visit the admission unit of your the school in mind and get the evaluation done.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by faithman2020: 7:22pm On Jan 09, 2014
Less I forget for those not working yet, you can enrol with Obamacare(medical insurance) in your state like here in minnesota it is call MNsure and get free coverage before you start working. And as regard Tax return,Consult a tax consultant in your area if you are getting snap and cash assistance to know if you can file for tax with tax deduction from your purchases.
This forum as been of great help.Happy new year to all forumite.

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Lazylazy: 9:05pm On Jan 09, 2014
faithman2020: Less I forget for those not working yet, you can enrol with Obamacare(medical insurance) in your state like here in minnesota it is call MNsure and get free coverage before you start working. And as regard Tax return,Consult a tax consultant in your area if you are getting snap and cash assistance to know if you can file for tax with tax deduction from your purchases.
This forum as been of great help.Happy new year to all forumite.

Thank you so much. This is home right here. I am so relief now.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by mohamedshire: 11:00pm On Jan 09, 2014
oyidiyaagbayi: if your case is not being processed u will not get answers. When u dial the number, listen to the menu and contact the uscis office nearest to you, follow the instructions , if they ask you for your zip code while making call dial the number, if its ur receipt number dial the numbers that have the alphabets. good luck

thank u my friend i follow the instructions while i was calling and they told me that to put my receipt id, i did it. what i was hear was that my case is not found at this time.
i have been waiting for them since December which was the time i came here.
so do u think that the process has not begun yet.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by oyidiyaagbayi: 2:51am On Jan 10, 2014
mohamed shire:

thank u my friend i follow the instructions while i was calling and they told me that to put my receipt id, i did it. what i was hear was that my case is not found at this time.
i have been waiting for them since December which was the time i came here.
so do u think that the process has not begun yet.
the same thing happened to me, follow the instruction that says , do u want to locate uscis office nearest to you.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by babaajala: 5:37am On Jan 10, 2014
mohamed shire:
thank u so much sir i will go to another SSN OFFICE
BUT I PUT THE RECEIPT NUMBER CORRECTLY BUT NOT GET SOME THING RELATE TO MY CASE IT JUST SAYS IT CANNOT BE FOUND
BUT MY FRIEND CAN I GET A SCICS OFFICE HERE IN BAKERSFIELD.

WHERE R U IN THE STATES SIR
am in texas. u can call them with thier number on the reciept or go to immigration office in your state and tell them the issue. immigration office is same as uscis and each state has the office. remember to carry your reciept of payment wen going to thier office. it may be technical issue from them

OR you either try this if you remember your USERNAME and PASSWORD of your uscis acct. no need for your receipt number

just enter the website(www.uscis.gov/uscis-elis)
and login . then click request a code. nd you will be sent a code in your email then type the code into the space provided and click submit then your status will appear. i am sure with that ur status will show since you have paid and if it is not technical issue from uscis.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by bosunwizzy: 8:27pm On Jan 10, 2014
Good
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:04am On Jun 28, 2014
THANK GOD NAIRALAND IS BACK AT LAST....WOW!! grin grin grin ..they stole 12 pages on this thread ...shaiii.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by sunnysmiles: 4:49pm On Jun 28, 2014
adesojiaderemi@:
THANK GOD NAIRALAND IS BACK AT LAST....WOW!! grin grin grin ..they stole 12 pages on this thread ...shaiii.

Yes. Thank God they are back. I guess there shall be no more crashing again 'cos there has been
a lot of communication gap among the forumites which has resulted in lack of information knowingfully
well that information is key.

I just relocated to the United States precisely California about a week and some days ago with my family.
We have gone to the SSN office and they promised us our social security number soonest. We are still sitting
at home watching movies and I'm tired of being idle. I need work seriously, I mean I need to go out and hustle as a man.
Though they told us that nothing can be done until our social security numbers are released.The transportation system in
Palmdale, the city we are based is not friendly. There is barely public transport around and this compounded the problem
of movement. Anyway, we shall survive it gradually.

Please, I need assistance from fellow forumites on the issue of getting job at least for a start. I studied Business Administration
and have an MBA with some professional qualification such as ACIPM, MNIM etc. I was actually informed that Nursing profession
is quite lucrative in the US. I wouldn't mind going for it but I seriously need to start doing something to get some money.
Your candid advice and suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thank you all and once again, welcome back from Nairaland recess.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by select500: 7:28pm On Jun 28, 2014
sunnysmiles:

@ Sunnysmiles,
You need to relax and get your SSN first. After that, then you can start your job search. Also, your host should be of help in your search for a job.
Cheers!

Yes. Thank God they are back. I guess there shall be no more crashing again 'cos there has been
a lot of communication gap among the forumites which has resulted in lack of information knowingfully
well that information is key.

I just relocated to the United States precisely California about a week and some days ago with my family.
We have gone to the SSN office and they promised us our social security number soonest. We are still sitting
at home watching movies and I'm tired of being idle. I need work seriously, I mean I need to go out and hustle as a man.
Though they told us that nothing can be done until our social security numbers are released.The transportation system in
Palmdale, the city we are based is not friendly. There is barely public transport around and this compounded the problem
of movement. Anyway, we shall survive it gradually.

Please, I need assistance from fellow forumites on the issue of getting job at least for a start. I studied Business Administration
and have an MBA with some professional qualification such as ACIPM, MNIM etc. I was actually informed that Nursing profession
is quite lucrative in the US. I wouldn't mind going for it but I seriously need to start doing something to get some money.
Your candid advice and suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thank you all and once again, welcome back from Nairaland recess.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by select500: 7:30pm On Jun 28, 2014
@ Sunnysmiles,

Relax & get your SSN first.
Then after that you can start your job search. Your host should also be of help in your getting a job as well.
Cheers!
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by sunnysmiles: 7:59pm On Jun 28, 2014
select500: @ Sunnysmiles,

Relax & get your SSN first.
Then after that you can start your job search. Your host should also be of help in your getting a job as well.
Cheers!

@select500

Thank you so much.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 2:15am On Jul 01, 2014
sunnysmiles:

@select500

Thank you so much.

I just replied your PM, sorry for my late response.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by arhayjay: 11:57am On Jul 01, 2014
Hello everyone,

I and my husband just arrived in Houston TX, I av a few questions.

1. My husband has the international DL does he have to take it anywhere to be endorsed or can he just start using it like that.

2. Do we need to av gotten our ssn before opening an account.

3. Can a pregnant woman who needs to see a doctor immediately apply for Medicaid without SSN.

4. I'll like to register for CISA dec diet, is there any1 who can shed more light on the certification in general to me.

I'll appreciate helpful responses! Thank u
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by sunnysmiles: 4:23pm On Jul 01, 2014
arhayjay: Hello everyone,

1. My husband has the international DL does he have to take it anywhere to be endorsed or can he just start using it like that.

3. Can a pregnant woman who needs to see a doctor immediately apply for Medicaid without SSN.

4. I'll like to register for CISA dec diet, is there any1 who can shed more light on the certification in general to me.

@ arhayjay

Welcome to the United States.

I am of the opinion that nothing can be done here in America until you receive your SSN.
I'll advise you to be patient. It does not really take long time before it is released.
For other questions, gurus in the house will surely assist.

Once again, you are welcome.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by faithman2020: 1:17pm On Jul 04, 2014
Wow,where are you guys, shocked shocked shocked, nairaland crashed.what a pity........can you guys wake up..........,Happy July 4th day.Hope you guys are going to enjoy the fireworks display tonight.........miss YOU...........................................faith works wonders.!!!!!
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:26pm On Jul 05, 2014
faithman2020: Wow,where are you guys, shocked shocked shocked, nairaland crashed.what a pity........can you guys wake up..........,Happy July 4th day.Hope you guys are going to enjoy the fireworks display tonight.........miss YOU...........................................faith works wonders.!!!!!

Happy 4th July faithman.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:28pm On Jul 05, 2014
sql-error and bebedlol I saw your message notifications but cant find any message in my mail.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by mikeudoka: 10:57pm On Jul 05, 2014
Welcome to Texas. Lemme answer few of your questions

1. He can drive with the international license but should be very careful. Traffic rules are different here but if you drive well in Nigeria you should be good in a short while. He doesn't need an endorsement to get the original license and you should know that the international license if not a valid form of identity when applying for your Texas drivers license. But you can use it to drive for a while as long as you stay out of trouble.

2. I opened my bank of America account the 2nd day I landed here with my passport only. Later you can update with your ssn

3. Yes as pregnant woman you can apply for medicaid immediately.

4. Don't know much about this and would be glad to also learn from someone that knows

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by faithman2020: 1:57am On Jul 06, 2014
adesojiaderemi@:

Happy 4th July faithman.

Same to you Bro.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by faithman2020: 2:03am On Jul 06, 2014
Hi Peniel,Just got your mail,Where are you in minnesota.there are jobs over here. but cant find your profile on nairaland.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by zeal2know: 8:51pm On Jul 06, 2014
mikeudoka: Welcome to Texas. Lemme answer few of your questions

1. He can drive with the international license but should be very careful. Traffic rules are different here but if you drive well in Nigeria you should be good in a short while. He doesn't need an endorsement to get the original license and you should know that the international license if not a valid form of identity when applying for your Texas drivers license. But you can use it to drive for a while as long as you stay out of trouble.

2. I opened my bank of America account the 2nd day I landed here with my passport only. Later you can update with your ssn

3. Yes as pregnant woman you can apply for medicaid immediately.

4. Don't know much about this and would be glad to also learn from someone that knows

Thanks for your response. Are u in Texas? Let's learn a few other things from you! I'll send a pm to you, kindly accept. Thanks
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by zeal2know: 2:46am On Jul 10, 2014
Hi Uncle Soji and uncle Pipsland, I sent PMS to you guys, kindly accept. We need ur advices on ow to survice in God's own. Country!
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 3:48am On Jul 13, 2014
zeal2know: Hi Uncle Soji and uncle Pipsland, I sent PMS to you guys, kindly accept. We need ur advices on ow to survice in God's own. Country!

I got the notification but can get the message.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Nytcrawler001: 2:33pm On Jul 13, 2014
To say this forum has not been of immense help wld b a big understatement.. One just got to app every contribution made by everyone here.. Big thanks.. Lookin forward to joining yall over dere soon.. Ny is were i wld be. Got a btech in estate managemement, in terms Of jobs wat angle shld i b lookin at...
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Gbabe2: 8:58pm On Jul 14, 2014
CISA is one of the certifying exams conducted by ISACA (CRISC, CISM,CGEIT & CISA). It has an international recognition advantage and its one off examination. CISA is a qualifying exams for professionals in auditing environment (system audit, protection of information assets etc). All you have to do is register for the exams, buy books and sit for the exams. Its a 200 multichoice 4 hours exams.The pass rate is like 40 % but there chances you could pass it one time if you study hard. ( I passed mine once).

I wish you best of luck.

Cheers

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 10:02am On Jul 19, 2014
to all my friends out there,
Understand Employment Background Checks(culled froM "A matter of fact"wink

What Is A Background Check? - An Employment Background Check may be best described as an Application Verification. An employment background check allows an employer to verify information provided by an applicant on a resume or job application. Independent sources such as criminal and civil court records, prior employers, educational institutions, and departments of motor vehicles are researched. The information obtained is then compared to the information provided by the applicant and reviewed for any negative material.

Most Employers Do Background Checks - Most employers do some form of an employment background check. This can be as simple a reference check, or as in-depth as covering everything from criminal record checks to interviewing friends and neighbors.

Why Employers Do Background Checks - Employers conduct background checks to meet regulatory, insurance, and customer requirements; increase applicant and new hire quality; reduce workplace violence; avoid bad publicity; protect against negligent hiring liability; reduce employee dishonesty losses; reduce employee turnover; and hire the right person the first time. An employer has the obligation to provide a safe workplace for employees, customers, and the public. See Why Background Checks?

What Do They Look For In A Background Check? - Employers look for discrepancies between an applicant’s claims and what is reported by schools, prior employers, etc. They also look for negative reports such as a bad Driving Record or a Criminal History that would impact the applicant's job qualifications. See What Do Employers Look For in a Background Check?

What Is In A Background Check For Employment? - Anything from an applicant's history CAN come up. It depends how detailed the background check is, who conducts the background check, how far back they go, who they talk to, what information they check, and what laws apply in the particular situation. If there are any black marks in an applicant's past, it is pretty hard to keep them a secret. See What Shows Up On A Background Check For Employment?

A typical basic background check may include county criminal record checks, a social security number scan, employment history verification, and education verification. Depending on the job, a more complete background check may include common items such as a motor vehicle report, a credit report, license and certification verification, reference checks, a sex offender registry check, or county civil record searches. See Comprehensive Background Check.

Your Rights - The FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) is the primary federal law regulating employment background checks. Despite its name the FCRA applies to all employment backgrounds checks conducted by a third party whether they include a credit report or not. See A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

In addition to the FCRA, there are many other Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations that may impact a particular employment background check. See Background Check Laws & Regulations.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by calorifocient(m): 11:42am On Jul 19, 2014
Hello my e-family. Anybody in New Jersey area, please I will like to connect. Am feeling lonely here.

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (Reply)

Lies Of Nigerians Living In America / Authenticity Of Documents At Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Abuja / Any Nairalander In Abidjan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.