Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,026 members, 7,818,029 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? (30330 Views)

Buhari Seeks $500m Loan For Lagos, Diaspora Bond / Re-run Elections: Nigerians In 5 States Vote (LIVE UPDATES) / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by ernestleon(m): 7:03pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope:

One thing that makes me laugh always is the way some statistics are thrown around by funny organisations without any true research. The first time I saw this, I almost fell from my chair with laughter! Absolutely bullocks!!!

How can you claim that every money that came to Nigeria through western union or equivalents are dash money from Nigerians from diaspora and say its your contribution to Nigeria? Sincerely speaking, how much of that money did you really contribute. Be sincere to yourself.

Let me lay it bare for you. The monies from that report includes:

1. Monies for payments for services rendered by Nigerians
2. Debt being payed back by many diasporan Nigerians
3. Yahoo and 419 payments. A very big chunk.
4. Monies being brought back in by money laundering peeps
5. Contributions from Nigerians in diaspora to family and friends
6. Payment for Exported goods and services. A good chunk of money

It is foolery and deception to come here and post such as money Nigerian's in diaspora are contributing to Nigeria.
a guy like you open a similar topic bashing nigerians abroad and giving reasons why nigerians shouldnt migrate but later foolishly confessed having a visa to scotland.Dont be bitter because you havent cross the Nigerian border the world is meant to be explored.you cant stop Nigerians not to travel abroad.Now its DV LOTTERY TIME thousands are applying,thousands are flying out while hundreds are flying in.Your chioce of life is yours to choose you cant come out here and bash others because they chose to live in a world where there is light 24hours,security and peace,good roads,where health care is free,free education etc...But that does not also mean its paradise on earth there are also disavantages too...lastly im was a benefactor from Nigerians abroad i know how ^abroad
^ has help me as a person.I belive in nigeria i belive in its progress...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 05, 2012
Sky-walker:

WTF. OMG. I swear Nigeria has a long way to go. burning fellow human over phone? haba, which levels na? They should be arrested for murder
not going to happen
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 05, 2012
[size=28pt]THIS SPACE IS NOT FOR DIASPORANS[/size]
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by fasbio(m): 7:09pm On Oct 05, 2012
[quote author=A-town]The "real" Nigerians in diaspora and the "real" Nigerians in Nigeria do not post derogatory statements about nigeria or the diaspora.
The real Nigerians in diaspora are those that continually send money home to help their folks - if you hate nigeria, would you keep sending money?
The real Nigerians in nigeria are those that accept this money and continually pray for their brothers/sisters rather than opening up threads that spew hate.

How can you make a generalization that Nigerians in Diaspora are bitter. Of the millions of diasporans, how many do you know? Since when did nairaland become a reliable statistical database. How do you know that those who post on here and claim to be diasoporans are actually diasporans? Are you tracking IP addresses?
How can you make comments that diasporans live in 15s or 20s per room and come here to post. Trust me, the guys in diaspora that are still hustling do not even have time for nairaland because they are busy working 70plus hard hrs earning a living while still sending money back home to the same naija you claim they are bitter about.
Making generalisations without solid evidence to back you up is shallow and expected of an "illiterate".

The ones who post here are probably those who have the spare time due to some comfort in their lives e.g students, 9-5 workers. If they actually are as bitter, why would they keep coming back here?
Your job as a nigerian in nigeria is to actually encourage the diasporans to keep doing what they do because they are doing so much to help nigeria that you claim they are bitter about e.g the billions in wester union /money gram per year, the investments, the new ideas brought back to the country by repats etc.
Get a life and stop promoting hate among your fellow kinsmen. [/q uote]

THANKS YOU, pls tell him

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by preciousoz: 7:10pm On Oct 05, 2012
After bashing ourselves here,insulting our National Heroes and insulting our ethnicity, we expect other Africans and Nations to respect and take us serious? When U call your shirt Rag, don't be angry when others use it to clean their hands.

When we (Nigerians) call our beloved country "cesspit" "poohole" "jungle" etc you only tell the world and others that U are SHIT,ANIMALS etc and nobody wants Shit in their Country (even Malawi) Its so sad that Nigerians have failed to learn that there's no other place we can Call Home.

A Pig is a Pig. Even if you take it to Germany,the only thing that's different is change of Location. People can easily tell who we are by what we Say.I have made friends with Americans and even help some of them with their Assignments online,it does not make them more intelligent than I am, they were surprised (@ my insight) and confessed they had a very Negative impression about africans (thinking we are primitive, criminals , live on trees, Dull etc) until they met Me and asked for photos.

Agreed so many things have gone wrong due to Bad policies owing mostly to Military Rule, let's not forget that we are gradualy getting it right. Our Votes for the first time in the history of this Nation is beginning to count. Courts can now unseat a Gov even if its of the ruling party and the evidence abound for all to see. States like Lagos, Edo, Imo etc are gradually reaping the dividends of democracy. Its only a Matter of time, Nigeria will Rise Again.

Let me tell you of what happened During one of Obasanjos visit to the US during his Tenure.
After a chat with some Nigerians Living there, one Chap stood up to Talk. He started complaining and criticising even highlighting the problems of Nigeria and Asked the President what He and His Cabinet are doing about it..... Obasanjo answered "Nigeria is the way it is because FOOLS like you refuse to return home and contribute to the development"

Peace

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by searay(m): 7:12pm On Oct 05, 2012
ndu_chucks:

True Nigerian at home and in diaspora alike, are bitter,but the OP asks a question about those in diaspora
Bros, with my g:a:r:r:i, i'm not bitter.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by GboyegaD(m): 7:17pm On Oct 05, 2012
tpia@:

just curious- can you, personally, tell me of any nigerian overseas who has resided permanently there (with minimal or no visits to naija) and lived to up to 70 years while doing so.

i dont seem to know of any, for some reason.

However, i do know of my grandparents who never set foot overseas in their lives, yet every one of them clocked over 80. Despite not being educated or having access to state of the art healthcare systems.

just wondering.

of course I'm not knocking abroad but one occasionally notices such things.

To say I am disappointed in the line of your reasoning over this response is an understatement. What he was referring to was average lifespan and not individuals. I know you want to support the line of argument of the OP but you don't need to go out of good reasoning to justify the claim.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by bluejeff(m): 7:22pm On Oct 05, 2012
By the way who is a nigerian in the diaspora ? I don't consider most of them as nigerians anyway. Some of them don't so why should I ?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by zerocool(m): 7:24pm On Oct 05, 2012
@OP was not well informed before making such post in the first place. He is not aware that surprisingly, Nigerians abroad say many good things about the country to foreigners and are always proud to say they are from Nigeria. Foreigners even respect us because of how we portray ourselves and the country in general. Where I am, we are proud to speak our language, and they ask us what language is that? We tell them and they even ask us to teach them. How then are we bitter about the country?

They ask us about the bomb-blast, we tell them, it is only a particular part of the country and the country is very peaceful. An American even offered to visit Nigeria, but said he would when next i am coming back home, so he will be able to know where to visit.

Another bad thing is, as a Nigerian.. you are most likely to lose out on opportunities when they know where you are from, because of the image of the country to the outside world.

You are the one not psychologically and mentally aware of what is going on, because the society you are in, has affected your thinking faculty.

You in Nigeria, contribute meaningfully by voting in corrupt leaders regime in and out to govern you and walk around freely, after stealing your funds and also sponsoring his bossom friend or son or younger brother to power (and the cycle continues), while University students who stole mobile phones and laptops are killed like chickens.

Or is it not Nigerians that contribute meaningfully to growth of country than those in diaspora that conferred Abacha's son the highest title in Ijawland?

You need to start thinking properly bro, because i think you are mentally impaired.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by paris10: 7:29pm On Oct 05, 2012
chatterly: THERE WAS AN ARTICLE ABOUT A NIGERIAN WOMAN WHO WAS DENIED A US VISA DUE TO SOME ISSUES ABOUT HAVING HER BABY IN THE US,SUPRISINGLY A LOT OF THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS CAME FROM DIASPORIANS!!!!!

They are those with "white men" mentality. @Justwise and his buddies have never seen something positive or good about Nigerians. They fail to realize that the grounds has shifted beyond them. Reading negative news about 1% of Nigerians misbehaving does not in anyway make Nigeria bad. Just check the travel section, you'll see so much hatred coming from these b.a.s.t.a.r.d.s

They have failed to realize that certain policies and greed are the root causes of all crimes. The Western media on the other hand loves picking on African countries, especially Nigerians. Ignorant a.s.s people like the one mention above digest these news without critiquing the bias and intentions of those broadcasters.

Every nation is corrupt, and every nation's got bad eggs amongst it citizenry. Nigeria is not perfect, but surely we will get there.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by ektbear: 7:29pm On Oct 05, 2012
Dede1:

Your stream of thought is the basic conflict of this discussion. Everybody should not rake millions into an account to be regarded as human. In USA, whether a customer of any bank had deposit of $100.00 or $1, 000,000, he or she attracts the same cordial respect from the bank.

+1
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 05, 2012
I sense and read a lot of inferiority complex on this thread.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Oct 05, 2012
where was I, when this delicious thread was uncooked early ?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by ektbear: 7:35pm On Oct 05, 2012
It seems like once a month, like a woman's period, we have threads of this nature.

It honestly cracks me up
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by dabrake(m): 7:41pm On Oct 05, 2012
EG Mr..Cork
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by nduchucks: 7:41pm On Oct 05, 2012
Dede1:

Your stream of thought is the basic conflict of this discussion. Everybody should not rake millions into an account to be regarded as human. In USA, whether a customer of any bank had deposit of $100.00 or $1, 000,000, he or she attracts the same cordial respect from the bank.

The above is a bunch of crap which could only come from typical bitter diasporans. You all forget that some of us have lived in the USA and other countries just like you currently do. Most people who have a balance of just $300,000 in a US account will dispute your statement.

To the extent that a bank will offer you a cup of coffee just as they would a millionaire, you may be right. But try to talk to a loan officer about a personal loan and see if you get the same treatment as a millionaire would get. I'm assuming here that as an Okoro man, you did not keep $1million in a single account but you spread the money in different banks and some under ya matress, hence you will not get the millionaire's treatment.

While you are talking to a loan officer, sweating, a man with $1million balance is taken upstairs for a more personal banking experience.

People like the overanalyst smiley, ekt_bear are hailing your statement and I am sure he can come up with a theoretical or academic explanation for your position, but I'm afraid your position is not supported as a practical matter.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 05, 2012
They feel bitter cos they have seen better infrastructures and amenities provided by the Politicians even though those countries are far less blessed like Nigerians, but the funny thing is, instead of translating that awareness into positive criticism, they see us in Nairaland as fellow politicians who ruined the system and chased them abroad to go into pseudo-slavery. But we need to keep telling them that things have got better and we are doing better than them, that they should come back and sweat with us to build a better nation. Make dem no vex, no be we pursue them in the first place. Na we we!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Godmann(m): 7:43pm On Oct 05, 2012
As one that lived studied and worked abroad, but choose to come home out of sure patriotism and also bc I don't want the stress of obtaining permanent residency; Nigerians at home are mostly ignorant, corrupt and lack any understanding of what we lack as a nation. they can hardly get how we've been set thousands of years back by our leaders.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 7:44pm On Oct 05, 2012
Billyonaire: where was I, when this delicious thread was uncooked early ?

Bros, I for don ping you siiiiiincccccceeeeee if to say I get your playbook PIN! Lol
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by debosky(m): 7:44pm On Oct 05, 2012
Since this topic has been rehashed dozens of time, I will put it in its proper place with a question:

How does this affect the price of garri? grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by tellwisdom: 7:44pm On Oct 05, 2012
bisiswag: Haha,@op,may God bless you cos following that thread on obama n romney debate made me think long and hard abt dx xtion. N am going to let u know why they r so bitter cos its a no-brainer,hehehehe. They r bitter cos they are so trapped in a foreign man's land(and believe it or not,racism is sooo there) plus d only place where they can come back to and be free is rife with ASSORTED AND COLOURFUL CRIMES. There is nothing like true freedom my dear,and they crave it so much but are ashamed of admitting it cos they have sooo preached that d grass is greener over there. N pls oh,no one shld bite my head off oh cos i have some dears over there who actually dnt tink lyk dx!

Were you denied visa?? speak out now, so those in diaspora can tell you how they got their's instead of exhibiting that bitterness in question on a public forum sad sad
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 05, 2012
Godman_n: As one that lived studied and worked abroad, but choose to come home out of sure patriotism and also bc I don't want the stress of obtaining permanent residency; Nigerians at home are mostly ignorant, corrupt and lack any understanding of what we lack as a nation. they can hardly get how we've been set thousands of years back by our leaders.
Exactly my point, so make all of us carry our bags and come over to invade the country of abroad ? So we can become as intelligent as you ? I think you lack the knowledge of history, that the place you now was built by people some hundreds of years ago. The founding fathers of those countries didnt run away and live somewhere else like you cowards. The next time you call Nigerians that are home and patriotic ignorant, I will give you an e-slap!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope: I am really getting irritated by many Nigerians in diaspora. They seem bent on seeing Nigeria and Nigerians go down. They come here and all over other Internet sites spewing garbage about Nigeria. They will put down anything positive about Nigeria. It seems they are suffering from gross bitterness.

There is no denying the fact that Nigeria has many issues but we cannot solve it by hating ourselves with so much raw hate and talking nonsense all the time. There is a time to critisize. For example, I like to criticize our excesses on materialism as a people which leads us to many unwanted stuff like corruption and crime. But insulting the nation and saying we will never make it and making us look so pathetic to the rest of the world is just too bad! We have our dignity and pride and we will never sacrifice that on any alter of self defeat and hopelessness.

If these bitter diaspora folks can't see anything good about Nigeria and Nigerians, I wonder why they even bother to post on Nigerian forums. They should carry their crap somewhere else. They forget that they are part of those who have failed Nigeria because they have not made any meaningful contribution to Nigerian growth.

Some of us travel out of the country and know how many of these folks live in Europe and even the US. In spain, Italy and Greece, many of them beg on the streets. In the UK, I don't even want to start. They haul themselves, sometimes as much as 15 in a 2 room apartment! Yet they talk nonsense here on NL because they can afford cheap Tmobile internet connection.

We have no other country but Nigeria. We must stand up and build it. Yes, it is a long road but it is a journey worth taking! Our families and friends live here. The question we must ask ourselves today is how can we make it better?

Apologies/acknowledgement to the many Nigerians in diaspora who do not fall into this category. Your patriotic contribution is a blessing to some of us!

they start by saying...Nigeria we hail thee
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 05, 2012
Funny u start a topic on Diasporans hating on home based nigerians and in turn insult them? are u not a perfecy hypocrite? ur own comments along with those of almost everybody commenting here seem induced by jelousy. in the west or home in Nigeria life could be good or tough anywhere and it depends on a persons personal situation so stop generalising! u talk about the few diasporans u know and use that to make a general assumption that diasporans are all suffering/ maybe u should come and let me introduce u to the ballers here then maybe u will shut up.the first step to stopping this bad blood between diasporans and home based Nigerians is getting rid of this rather silly general assumption we Nigerians seem to have that life is good for everyone abroad and tough for everyone back home.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by zerocool(m): 7:52pm On Oct 05, 2012
One man told me, if you bring all Nigerians to the United States or U.K, the system will turn corrupt and spoilt. (Electricity, Water Supply, Roads, Infrastructures, Politics!! etc). And if you do vice versa, take all Americans to live and settle in Nigeria, She will be the world's envy and the NEW AMERICA.

So true!!

What a country called Nigeria!!! Truthfully @OP, it will take so much years and you will be long dead and rotten, before you even experience any working system. So, Keep blabbing at those with their brain cells working effectively.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by justwise(m): 7:56pm On Oct 05, 2012
paris10:

They are those with "white men" mentality. @Justwise and his buddies have never seen something positive or good about Nigerians. They fail to realize that the grounds has shifted beyond them. Reading negative news about 1% of Nigerians misbehaving does not in anyway make Nigeria bad. Just check the travel section, you'll see so much hatred coming from these b.a.s.t.a.r.d.s

They have failed to realize that certain policies and greed are the root causes of all crimes. The Western media on the other hand loves picking on African countries, especially Nigerians. Ignorant a.s.s people like the one mention above digest these news without critiquing the bias and intentions of those broadcasters.

Every nation is corrupt, and every nation's got bad eggs amongst it citizenry. Nigeria is not perfect, but surely we will get there.

Criminals like you are the hypocrites, are you not the same person running visa scam? Are you not the same person organizing fake marriages for Nigerians abroad? Now you have the gut to insult people because you were exposed? Silly cow.

Deleting your previous fraudulent threads will not help you, i quoted you then.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 05, 2012
obadiah777: and i speak for all nigerians when i say we are genuinely concerned that your english is 3000 years behind most peoples english

Are you supposed to speak English in the first place? What happened to you native language? Are you an English man? Even in UK,the welsh and Scottish hate the fact that English was forced on them.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 7:58pm On Oct 05, 2012
slyfoxxjoe: Funny u start a topic on Diasporans hating on home based nigerians and in turn insult them? are u not a perfecy hypocrite? ur own comments along with those of almost everybody commenting here seem induced by jelousy. in the west or home in Nigeria life could be good or tough anywhere and it depends on a persons personal situation so stop generalising! u talk about the few diasporans u know and use that to make a general assumption that diasporans are all suffering/ maybe u should come and let me introduce u to the ballers here then maybe u will shut up.the first step to stopping this bad blood between diasporans and home based Nigerians is getting rid of this rather silly general assumption we Nigerians seem to have that life is good for everyone abroad and tough for everyone back home.

Guy, the topic isn't about Diaspora Nigerians hating home based. Its about many diasporan Nigerians hating Nigeria! You clear now? I would have thought your time abroad should have improved your reading comprehension. Obviously am wrong! My bad!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by omanzo02: 7:59pm On Oct 05, 2012
thelastPope:

Like I indicated in my post, not all diasporans are bad. But most of them are. I repeat, they contribute nothing. There are over 1 million Nigerians in the UK. If a tenth of them contribute meaningfully to Nigeria, believe me, you will feel the impact. These Nigerians even collect monies from many foreign donors in the name of coming to Nigeria to develope the place but end up spending the money on expensive cars. I have first hand experience so I know what I am saying. Most NGOs in Nigeria were started by Nigerians in diaspora and 90% of these NGOs are fraud! They are a nuisance here on NL.

You might not know the value of building hope in people but I know what it is to inspire hope. If we are to go by the NL contributions of many diaspora Nigerians, we will all give up.

E.g
Dayokanu, the Abacha 1million man march 419 ngo. Lol grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by saintohia: 8:00pm On Oct 05, 2012
We would build Nigeria together, foreigners would't build it for us, though nobody should have been insulted.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Oct 05, 2012
slyfoxxjoe: Funny u start a topic on Diasporans hating on home based nigerians and in turn insult them? are u not a perfecy hypocrite? ur own comments along with those of almost everybody commenting here seem induced by jelousy. in the west or home in Nigeria life could be good or tough anywhere and it depends on a persons personal situation so stop generalising! u talk about the few diasporans u know and use that to make a general assumption that diasporans are all suffering/ maybe u should come and let me introduce u to the ballers here then maybe u will shut up.the first step to stopping this bad blood between diasporans and home based Nigerians is getting rid of this rather silly general assumption we Nigerians seem to have that life is good for everyone abroad and tough for everyone back home.
What are you talking about ? This thread is not about analysis of Wealthy Nigerians in diaspora, cos if it is about that, I will simply ask you to show me how many Private Jets all Nigerians abroad own. Lets start from there, lets also end by asking if the richest Nigerian in Diaspora is worth a Mike Adenuga, not to mention Dangote. We are talking about the hate and jealousy, that Nigerians in diaspora pour on the pages of this noble forum, which is actually a brainwork of Seun, home-based. Upon your knowledge of IT in Portsmouth, Middlesex and Malaysian universities etc. What we get is Sowore's Sahara reporters, that spearheads the same hate we are talking about here. It pays to be patriotic, it pays to stay home and build a dilapidated nation, cos where you call abroad was built by people who were not cowards. Cowards take the night buses and next available flights abroad once there is garden to cultivate and start hating those who cared to sit back and weed the farm when they are harvesting and filling their tummy.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by tpia5: 8:01pm On Oct 05, 2012
GboyegaD:

To say I am disappointed in the line of your reasoning over this response is an understatement. What he was referring to was average lifespan and not individuals. I know you want to support the line of argument of the OP but you don't need to go out of good reasoning to justify the claim.

Can YOU answer that question?

Leave sentiment out of it and just let us know which nigerian you've seen who lived permanently overseas and reached the age of 70 years.

When you say average lifespan, if you're implying there are relatively fewer people over 50 years in nigeria, then i can only assume your point of reference is those around you. In which case, you should check why, if you dont know already.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Pigeons: Opposition Parties Responsible — Segalink / Jonathan’s Motorcade Rescues Accident Victims / Buhari Signs Amendment To Executive Order 008 On VOARS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.