Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,031 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? (30325 Views)

Buhari Seeks $500m Loan For Lagos, Diaspora Bond / Re-run Elections: Nigerians In 5 States Vote (LIVE UPDATES) / Nigerian Academia In Diaspora (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by omosexy1: 10:48pm On Oct 05, 2012
HiiiPower: What's "diasporan?"
I saw more than 50 Nigerian road sweepers on my way from work,
are they also "diasporan?" Life's hard everywhere and we all need
some senses knocked back into our oblong skulls, that we're Nigerians
no matter where we find ourselves.

If you feel "foreign" because you have lived outside Nigeria for a while,
then something is wrong with you. Those from those countries built their countries,
and they will discard you when your services are no longer needed.

Silly Nigerian buffoons!

I must confess your comment cracked me up. Very funny.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Freddieyankee(m): 10:51pm On Oct 05, 2012
Can we be honest to each other here..... Many of us in Nigeria will see a free visa to travel outside the country and reject it,please honest answer and I'm sure most of you on here will ridicule Nigeria even before you get on the plane.... I have seen it here on NL

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Oct 05, 2012
Freddieyankee: Can we be honest to each other here..... Many of us in Nigeria will see a free visa to travel outside the country and reject it,please honest answer and I'm sure most of you on here will ridicule Nigeria even before you get on the plane.... I have seen it here on NL
SO whats your question ?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by HiiiPower(m): 10:54pm On Oct 05, 2012
omosexy1:

I must confess your comment cracked me up. Very funny.

Abeg, don't let it crack you up.
Most "diasporans" are effing pissy poor duffers,
who just take pride in hiding their inadequacies behind
the fuke of being "diasporans."

I'm not a big fan of segregation. If you're Nigerian, you're Nigerian.
The labelling is basically pure nonsense.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by eduson77(m): 10:57pm On Oct 05, 2012
See ur mentality.u think life is all about money?see mouth like millions...
Jenams: typical example of who this thread is all about. Keep cryin over mosquito & snake bite while Ūя̅ mates back home rake in millions into their accounts.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Freddieyankee(m): 10:57pm On Oct 05, 2012
The question is how many Nigerian will see a free visa to travel abroad or Infact South Africa and reject it even the ones saying thrash on NL will b the first ones in line.... #letsfacereality

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by vanbonattel: 11:01pm On Oct 05, 2012
Freddieyankee: The question is how many Nigerian will see a free visa to travel abroad or Infact South Africa and reject it even the ones saying thrash on NL will b the first ones in line.... #letsfacereality

I will never leave this country, after two people in my village that traveled since 1987 to europe have still not made money abroad, I am better hunting squirrels in my bush village than washing corpses abroad since 1987.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by HiiiPower(m): 11:02pm On Oct 05, 2012
Are those road sweepers at Euston and Victoria stations diasporans?
Are those on early morning cleaning also diasporans?
Are the security guards diasporans?
Are the care workers and factory workers diasporans?
Those are the majority of Nigerians outside Nigeria.
Heck, they live hand to mouth daily. Yet in the process
of gagging and trying to create new identities, they label themselves
as "diasporans" just to feel better than the rest. It's naff!

I'm Nigerian and I love Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 11:04pm On Oct 05, 2012
Freddieyankee: The question is how many Nigerian will see a free visa to travel abroad or Infact South Africa and reject it even the ones saying thrash on NL will b the first ones in line.... #letsfacereality

What are you saying my guy? We don't need free visas. We pay for our visas, we travel and we come back home. Your first mistake is to assume many of us haven't been abroad. We go for holidays and business regularly. Wake up man!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Oct 05, 2012
HiiiPower: Are those road sweepers at Euston and Victoria stations diasporans?

Take it easy on them bro, a man must make a living! But I also advise them not to be abusive on us 'locals', we didnt pursue them. It was their volition to send themselves into self-enslaving exile.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by thelastPope(m): 11:08pm On Oct 05, 2012

A true blood Nigerian!!! I respect! I duff my hat! May you live long! God bless naija! There is hope for us!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by omosexy1: 11:09pm On Oct 05, 2012
"A man who loses his true identity is a man closer to his grave". Nigeria is our home (diaspora or native) and we owe it a duty to fix it and not complain about it. We are like lazy brothers complaining about fixing the leaking roof, some of us have abandoned the house to go stay with neighbours, others choose to stay without doing anything about the roof. Yet the roof is still leaking. We cry and complain about our politicians but are our politicians not part of us? What is the fuss all about? A true patriotic Nigerian (diaspora or native) would be bitter about the way things are in the country. But being bitter isn't enough, we have to do something to put Nigeria on the path of success. We must believe in our country, we must believe that the Nigerian Project would work. However, it would only work when its citizens (diaspora and natives) do something about it.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by coogar: 11:09pm On Oct 05, 2012
you herbs are still here?
if a slave-ship berths @ apapa port tomorrow morning, the op and the other members of his family would be the first to jump into it. i have never seen a more deluded set of people than nigerians! how people still function normally in that chaotic country baffles me and yet a zany-acting twit like the op is coming here to tell porkies! nigerians in diaspora are not bitter, they are just frustrated that a country so blessed with resources stands among the poorest nations in the world!

utter crap....
what would you have them do? online begging like the army of youths in nigeria? you see nigerians who are doing their jobs honestly and you are casting aspersions? it is from those menial jobs that many of them feed families @ home, build houses and support young ones in school. a security officer abroad earns more than most bank managers in nigeria - so i ask, what's your grief with a nigerian female cleaning euston station? there's more dignity in that than your sisters fücking politicians every weekend to make ends meet!

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by valdubem(m): 11:11pm On Oct 05, 2012
adconline: Here is something to consider. It takes 6hrs for most flights from Naija to EU, so if GEJ gets heart attack, he's going to die before he gets to EU, but a Naija in EU gets that world class medical attention immediately.
You live in Naija with all ur money, your life span is less than 50 years, you live in EU/US your life span is above 70yrs.

God why did U create some folks with limited brain content? Am I d only one reading nonsense here?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Oct 05, 2012
coogar: you herbs are still here?
if a slave-ship berths @ apapa port tomorrow morning, the op and the other members of his family would be the first to jump into it. i have never seen a more deluded set of people than nigerians! how people still function normally in that chaotic country baffles me and yet a zany-acting twit like the op is coming here to tell porkies! nigerians in diaspora are not bitter, they are just frustrated that a country so blessed with resources stands among the poorest nations in the world!
Let me guess, you are a diasporan.....Sorry, wipe your tears! truth is bitter.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by HiiiPower(m): 11:14pm On Oct 05, 2012
It's like the prodigal son scolding "his" parents for
not looking after the house, while he's away. If you're not
happy with the way things are in Nigeria, get your potty blinkered
self back there and make a change.

You left, next.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by omosexy1: 11:14pm On Oct 05, 2012

Are you a Nigerian? If you are, it baffles me you could say stuff like this.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by coogar: 11:18pm On Oct 05, 2012
Billyonaire: Let me guess, you are a diasporan.....Sorry, wipe your tears! truth is bitter.

it does not matter which side i pitch my tent, the truth must be told!

omosexy1:
Are you a Nigerian? If you are, it baffles me you could say stuff like this.

the road to recovery is admitting one's fault - if you continue to delude yourself nigeria is paradise, the politicians would continue to ram their cöck in your ässes! i am more nigerian than many of you blind patriots but i am not afraid to tell it as it is! that country is shyte!

HiiiPower: It's like the prodigal son scolding "his" parents for
not looking after the house, while he's away. If you're not
happy with the way things are in Nigeria, get your potty blinkered
self back there and make a change.
You left, next.

i intended to! however, on getting to murtala airport, i was hounded by airport officials begging for money and telling me their woes! just 300 yards away from the airport, i was 30 secs close to being attacked by daredevil robbers totin guns n shooting sporadically in the air! i'm sorry, that's not the environment i would love to work.....those criminals should be directing their guns to the politicians and the leaders and not to their own kinsmen! for as little as N10k, most nigerians would kill in cold blood!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by weaseloo: 11:19pm On Oct 05, 2012
Thank you very much for this post. Just the other day someone called me an idiotee (here) because I asked to stop criticising Nigeria and do something tangible in your own personal way to help each other and the country. But the guy in question lives in Niga, so it's not just those abroad. 

What I will say is that the criticisms and constant comparing of Nigeria and countries like UK and USA is what has brought so much negativity among us. But we are nothing like those countries because our paths and history are different. We need to understand ourselves and find a way out of our problems. The bitterness and bickering does not help anybody or anything and can never move us forward. 

I think we should stop focusing on who and what is victimising us and have a mind set of "What Can I Do To Better The Situation."

We have to do the changing ourselves. No saviour is coming o. We have to get up and act to save this nation.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by ektbear: 11:21pm On Oct 05, 2012

utter crap....
what would you have them do? online begging like the army of youths in nigeria? you see nigerians who are doing their jobs honestly and you are casting aspersions? it is from those menial jobs that many of them feed families @ home, build houses and support young ones in school. a security officer abroad earns more than most bank managers in nigeria - so i ask, what's your grief with a nigerian female cleaning euston station? there's more dignity in that than your ,,sisters fücking politicians every weekend to make ends meet!
weaseloo: Thank you very much for this post. Just the other day someone called me an idiotee (here) because I asked to stop criticising Nigeria and do something tangible in your own personal way to help each other and the country. But the guy in question lives in Niga, so it's not just those abroad. 

What I will say is that the criticisms and constant comparing of Nigeria and countries like UK and USA is what has brought so much negativity among us. But we are nothing like those countries because our paths and history are different. We need to understand ourselves and find a way out of our problems. The bitterness and bickering does not help anybody or anything and can never move us forward. 

I think we should stop focusing on who and what is victimising us and have a mind set of "What Can I Do To Better The Situation."

We have to do the changing ourselves. No saviour is coming o. We have to get up and act to save this nation. 

Well said
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by ballabriggs: 11:22pm On Oct 05, 2012
Okay I finish work in the evening, after a drink with my mates at the pub, I return home to relax and read news about my country.

What do I see online?

Four young boys butchered and burnt to death by their fellow citizens on the allegation of robbery. What kind of barbaric way of life is that for goodness sake? And you tell me not to be bitter about the way things are?

A country where the Justice system seems non-existent and people take it upon themselves to murder their fellow citizens on the allegation of robbery.

What do you call such nonsense which is a daily occurrence in most parts of the country?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by omosexy1: 11:23pm On Oct 05, 2012
@coogar

It is good to express your opinions but how you express your opinions matters. Please note that expressing your opinions does not change anything. If you call Nigerian a shit-hole, what have you done to make it less of a shit-hole.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Oct 05, 2012
ifeness:

Are you supposed to speak English in the first place? What happened to you native language? Are you an English man? Even in UK,the welsh and Scottish hate the fact that English was forced on them.
IT WOULD SURPRISE YOU TO KNOW THAT ENGLISH IS THE BLACK MANS LANGUAGE WHEN THE BLACK MAN RULED ENGLAND AND SCOTLAND AND ALL OVER EUROPE IN THE DARK AGES. ENGLISH MEANS 'ANGELS' WHICH IS WHAT THE BLACK ISRAELITES CALLED THEMSELVES. OF COURSE THIS HISTORY HAS BEEN WHITEWASHED SO YOU THINK IT IS THE WHITE MANS LANGUAGE
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Oct 05, 2012
coogar:
it does not matter which side i pitch my tent, the truth must be told!
the road to recovery is admitting one's fault - if you continue to delude yourself nigeria is paradise, the politicians would continue to ram their cöck in your ässes! i am more nigerian than many of you blind patriots but i am not afraid to tell it as it is! that country is shyte!
Its unfortunate that you escaped from a zoo and use the desert to migrate to Spain. Life must have been very bad with you before you sojourn into lands of the whites to live a 2cents decent life. Many of us live in certain places in Nigeria that is more pretty than you will ever get. I advise, you climb out from under the bed and walk carelessly on the highway, you might be lucky to be deported back to Nigeria. Cos I know, you have no flight money to come back!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by coogar: 11:27pm On Oct 05, 2012
omosexy1: @coogar

It is good to express your opinions but how you express your opinions matters. Please note that expressing your opinions do not change anything.

it's not a dickwaving contest - i don't give a flying fück about what people think about my comments! it pains to see what that country as become. 4 youths murdered in cold blood this morning because they were suspected to have stolen laptops/phones! in other words, a uk-used mobile phone has more worth than 4 lives!!! that's the country you want me to praise!!

Billyonaire: Its unfortunate that you escaped from a zoo and use the desert to migrate to Spain. Life must have been very bad with you before you sojourn into lands of the whites to live a 2cents decent life. Many of us live in certain places in Nigeria that is more pretty than you will ever get. I advise, you climb out from under the bed and walk carelessly on the highway, you might be lucky to be deported back to Nigeria. Cos I know, you have no flight money to come back!

the money spent on your education should have been used to buy condoms to prevent your conception in the first place, you homoerotic pleb! you call yourself a billionaire and yet you lack substance upstairs! how's it your business if i have no flight money to come back? that's exactly why a reprobate of your ilk created this idiotic thread! many of you moröns are half-baked gorillas! the kind of life i live surpasses what your entire lineage has ever enjoyed in their impoverished sick life!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by omosexy1: 11:31pm On Oct 05, 2012
coogar:

it's not a dickwaving contest - i don't give a flying fück about what people think about my comments! it pains to see what that country as become. 4 youths murdered in cold blood this morning because they were suspected to have stolen laptops/phones! in other words, a uk-used mobile phone has more worth than 4 lives!!! that's the country you want me to praise!!

Do not allow issues like this rob you off the big picture. Nigeria is not asking you to praise or curse it. It is asking you to come develop it. If you don't do it who will! Please be easy on the f-word, it doesn't connotes a civil person.
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by coogar: 11:34pm On Oct 05, 2012
omosexy1:

Do not allow issues like this rob you off the big picture. Nigeria is not asking you to praise or curse it. It is asking you to come develop it. If you don't do it who will!

how do i develop it when there's no safety? do i look like osama bin kunle to you? asking any nigerian to come home and develop the country is a suicide mission! the country must first purge itself from the street urchins and the career criminals running amok in the country! my life has no duplicate so nigeria can fück herself for all i care!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by vanbonattel: 11:36pm On Oct 05, 2012
ballabriggs: Okay I finish work in the evening, after a drink with my mates at the pub, I return home to relax and read news about my country.

What do I see online?

Four young boys butchered and burnt to death by their fellow citizens on the allegation of robbery. What kind of barbaric way of life is that for goodness sake? And you tell me not to be bitter about the way things are?

A country where the Justice system seems non-existent and people take it upon themselves to murder their fellow citizens on the allegation of robbery.

What do you call such nonsense which is a daily occurrence in most parts of the country?

You were obviously very drunk.
If not you would nave bundled you dirty azz down here on seeing such news and conducted a teaching in some schools in your local government on the need to avoid violence, instead you stay online and bark like a mad dog and behave holier than thou. Do we even know if you kill others over there before going to drink in your frigging pub?
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by HiiiPower(m): 11:38pm On Oct 05, 2012
coogar:
i intended to! however, on getting to murtala airport, i was hounded by airport officials begging for money and telling me their woes! just 300 yards away from the airport, i was 30 secs close to being attacked by daredevil robbers totin guns n shooting sporadically in the air! i'm sorry, that's not the environment i would love to work.....those criminals should be directing their guns to the politicians and the leaders and not to their own kinsmen! for as little as N10k, most nigerians would kill in cold blood!

Dude, my argument is that you are not a "diasporan"
and you don't live in "diaspora." You're a Nigerian expat,
with a stake in Nigeria. Instead of being abusive to what you are part of,
why can't you get your hands dirty and get involved in transforming it?

This balderdash is barmy!
Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by vanbonattel: 11:38pm On Oct 05, 2012
coogar:

how do i develop it when there's no safety? do i look like osama bin kunle to you? asking any nigerian to come home and develop the country is a suicide mission! the country must first purge itself from the street urchins and the career criminals running amok in the country! my life has no duplicate so nigeria can fück herself for all i care!

You are a big fat fuul!
so because of insecurity you will stay away from you home and throw stones from the outside. Why not tune off completely and pretend you are no longer a Nigerian?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by OilSubsidy: 11:39pm On Oct 05, 2012
Billyonaire: God Bless You. I can dine and wine with you any day any time you are back home, cos you recognize the fact that all of us cant pack our bags and baggages and come over to live Abroad. We all need to channel our energies to criticize constructively, not to abuse. Chastise us wisely since we are not widely traveled like you guys. But for those who keep insulting Nigerians back home as timid, ignorant and neanderthals. And for those who call Nigeria 'Hell-Hole', I will like them to stay off nairaland and live their lives of pseudo slavery away from Nairaland, cos this is Nigeria online. We all know that the owners of those countries take you guyz as half-humans as you rightly said, cos no one expects 'full-humans' to migrate enmasse from their native country, to invade another man's territory. My 2cent is, try to pitch your tent in Nigeria, cos Home is Home, though not so homely.

My Brother, Nothing wrong with travelling. It is part of educating oneself. You need to see the number of Chinese and Indians abroad. Nigerians no even plenty sef!! and to think that these guys are from better countries than Nigeria. What are you even saying sef?? Do you want all of us to come home? Are there not 'Oyibos' in Nigeria? The reason the natives consider us sub-humans is because of people like you 'the so called builders' who build nothing but their own pockets at the expense of all. Moreover not everyone is cut out for serious hustling like you. Some people like me just want a decent job that can put food on the table for the family and since our country failed us woefully we had to get out or hunger 'go kill us'.

What is that with someone having to pay 1 million naira as bribe before they can secure a job? In that same Nigeria! God punish the Devil!!!

Is that what you term as helping to re-build?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians In Diaspora So Bitter? by HiiiPower(m): 11:41pm On Oct 05, 2012
Diaspora [daɪˈæspərə]
n
1. (Historical Terms) (Social Science / Peoples)
a. the dispersion of the Jews after the Babylonian and Roman conquests of Palestine
b. the Jewish communities outside Israel
c. the Jews living outside Israel
d. the extent of Jewish settlement outside Israel
2. (Christian Religious Writings / Bible) (in the New Testament) the body of Christians living outside Palestine
3. (Social Science / Anthropology & Ethnology) (Sociology) (often not capital) a dispersion or spreading, as of people originally belonging to one nation or having a common culture

I'm still looking for where to fit recent Nigerian immigrants into this.
English language no be una friends, Nigerians lol

[size=18pt]NIGERIAN EXPATS[/size]

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

Fraud Alert!!! Don't Pay To Anybody Having This Document / Video: Soldiers Scramble For Water As Relief Materials Finally Arrive Sambisa / Ambode's Wife Presents Gift To The 1st Baby Of The Year In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.