Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,674 members, 7,820,367 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up (18343 Views)

Patience: I Haven't Packed Out Of Aso Rock / Another Plane Crash Averted As Arikkair Plane Engine Exploded Mid Air / Tragedy Averted As Train Derails In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by Areaboy2(m): 10:39pm On Oct 08, 2012
Lero15: shey u b pilot ni?

and what if I am? what difference does it make from what I've said?
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by supereagle(m): 10:43pm On Oct 08, 2012
Sun of god: So no checks were made before the plane was boarded?

Clearly another maintenance failure.

And why do so called men of god fear death so much?
Will you take care of their families for them?
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by Nobody: 10:47pm On Oct 08, 2012
denitro:

Then you hadn't heard of China Airline flight 006 1985

One engine failed in mid air, causing the plane to roll to the right.
The captain immediately disconnected the autopilot but the plane had rolled over 60 degrees to the right
and the nose had begun to drop....

The plane was few hundred feets from crashing into the ocean before the pilot regained control.

NB:
Most planes used by Aero, Arik etc are two engine planes.
One fails, there will be too much power on one side of the plane causing the plane to roll.

I disagree with your last statement. When an engine fails, first thing the pilot needs to do is either to increase or decrease the power to the second engine, and also use its rudder to compensate for the wing side that has a lost engine. It might even surprise you that once an aircraft is at a safe altitude, it can even continue to fly for several minutes when all the engines are out.
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by ofans(m): 10:48pm On Oct 08, 2012
that was just an engine hitch, nothing to do with GOD here, which is no biggy, even if it happened on take off run. these aircraft are designed to fly even with loss of an engine
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by dabrake(m): 10:51pm On Oct 08, 2012
Ossy1: People of Nigeria, a plane can be flown with one engine and landed safely. . .
oga, i gree but so far sey na 9ja plane, i no enter. If one engine pack up when i don reach 45000ft, i go just tell the pilot make him drop me there make i find another plane go where i dey go
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by Areaboy2(m): 11:01pm On Oct 08, 2012
enitan2002:

I disagree with your last statement. When an engine fails, first thing the pilot needs to do is either to increase or decrease the power to the second engine, and also use its rudder to compensate for the wing side that has a lost engine. It might even surprise you that once an aircraft is at a safe altitude, it can even continue to fly for several minutes when all the engines are out.

not just that alone, over 90% of flights at cruising altitude will be on auto-pilot. This alone will adjust the flaps and rudder to compensate for the thrust imbalance. The pilot gets notified immediately and a series of religious troubleshooting will start, while going through the engine start up process. If the engine fires up again and gives no other warning, they continue as if nothing happened to destination and report the incident to maintenance.
However, if they fail to restart the engine, an alternate airport is sort and they radio in "pan-pan" for immediate landing.
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by Ganys: 11:02pm On Oct 08, 2012
People thought i was seeking attention when i opened the following Thread Yesterday
https://www.nairaland.com/1067297/us-pray-against-plane-crash
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by Werehkpe: 11:21pm On Oct 08, 2012
D funniest part of the story to me was
“A woman was just shouting ‘please open this door before I break it!’.

D babe had had enuff, she just wated to get the F iff the flying coffin cheesy

She even try say she talk please. if na worry dem go just break am. even if it means using the pilots head
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by mizzyboy007: 11:22pm On Oct 08, 2012
berem: Why dem no push the plane make the engine start? shey the plane na manual abi automatic? "Just asking"
does everthing have to seem like a joke to you...y can't u thank God for saving lives instead of publicly expressing your low level of maturity...guy grow up!!! Time is ticking.
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by mizzyboy007: 11:24pm On Oct 08, 2012
Area_boy: I dont see what is scary about this undecided. they didn't even take off, i'm sure he(pilot) noticed during taxi.

I've been 35000 ft in the air when one engine failed! we landed flawlessly.
make una stop to dey too fear! we all die someday. make good use of the limited time you have undecided
I think u ate very stupid....one advice...begin to look on d brighter side of life. Mumu.
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by denitro(m): 11:33pm On Oct 08, 2012
enitan2002:

you are funny...
Don't you guys read:
China Airlines Flight 006
After the flameout, the captain instructed the flight engineer to attempt to restart the engine,
(You are saying the first thing the pilot needs to do)
Whereas the pilot of China Airlines Flight 006 first instructed his flight engineer to attempt to restart the engine[/b].
while the plane remained at FL 410 (41,000 feet), with the autopilot still engaged and the Bleed air on.
[b]That was contrary to the flight manual procedure
, which required the plane to be below 30,000 feet (9,100 m),
before attempting to restart a flamed out engine. The restart attempt failed.

The airspeed continued to decrease, while the autopilot rolled the control wheel to the maximum left limit of 23 degrees.
As the speed decreased even further, the plane began to roll to the right
, even though the AP was maintaining the maximum
left roll limit of 23 degrees. By the time the captain disconnected the autopilot, the plane had rolled over 60 degrees
to the right and the nose had begun to drop.

70% of airline accidents are caused by pilot error. The China Airlines flight pilot made series of errors.
Anyone on that flight with the knowledge that an airline can still fly with 1 engine cannot enter the cockpit and instruct
the pilot to first of all increase or decrease the power to the second engine, and also use its rudder to compensate
for the wing side that has a lost engine. (That knowledge is useless if the pilot makes series of errors while
reacting to the engine flames out.)
A two engine plane in nigeria flying with 1 engine has a 70% chance of crashing, if the pilot has not experienced
an engine flame out during his career.

1 Like

Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by Areaboy2(m): 11:39pm On Oct 08, 2012
mizzyboy007: I think u ate very stupid....one advice...begin to look on d brighter side of life. Mumu.

LOL!! Ignorance can sometimes be natural. That is your case grin
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by Areaboy2(m): 11:44pm On Oct 08, 2012
denitro:

you are funny...
Don't you guys read:
China Airlines Flight 006
After the flameout, the captain instructed the flight engineer to attempt to restart the engine,
(You are saying the first thing the pilot needs to do)
Whereas the pilot of China Airlines Flight 006 first instructed his flight engineer to attempt to restart the engine[/b].
while the plane remained at FL 410 (41,000 feet), with the autopilot still engaged and the Bleed air on.
[b]That was contrary to the flight manual procedure
, which required the plane to be below 30,000 feet (9,100 m),
before attempting to restart a flamed out engine. The restart attempt failed.

The airspeed continued to decrease, while the autopilot rolled the control wheel to the maximum left limit of 23 degrees.
As the speed decreased even further, the plane began to roll to the right
, even though the AP was maintaining the maximum
left roll limit of 23 degrees. By the time the captain disconnected the autopilot, the plane had rolled over 60 degrees
to the right and the nose had begun to drop.

70% of airline accidents are caused by pilot error. The China Airlines flight pilot made series of errors.
Anyone on that flight with the knowledge that an airline can still fly with 1 engine cannot enter the cockpit and instruct
the pilot to first of all increase or decrease the power to the second engine, and also use its rudder to compensate
for the wing side that has a lost engine. (That knowledge is useless if the pilot makes series of errors while
reacting to the engine flames out.)
A two engine plane in nigeria flying with 1 engine has a 70% chance of crashing, if the pilot has not experienced
an engine flame out during his career.

Good post, but you spoil am with your last statement. Show us evidence of your statistics. Or are you just making assumptions of your own?
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by denitro(m): 11:49pm On Oct 08, 2012
Area_boy:

Good post, but you spoil am with your last statement. Show us evidence of your statistics. Or are you just making assumptions of your own?

I know I overdid it with my last statement.
My point is
The ideal situation is that any aircraft can fly and land safely with even 1 engine.
But the aircraft is at the mercy of the pilot who has to make the right decisions.
He makes the wrong one. Then nothing else matters.

1 Like

Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by Areaboy2(m): 11:54pm On Oct 08, 2012
denitro:

I know I overdid it with my last statement.
My point is
The ideal situation is that any aircraft can fly and land safely with even 1 engine.
But the aircraft is at the mercy of the pilot who has to make the right decisions.
He makes the wrong one. Then nothing else matters.

Now its perfect smiley.

some pilots will crash with minor system failure while others will land safely after a major system failure. Like every other vehicle, the weakest link is the human operator.
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by denitro(m): 11:59pm On Oct 08, 2012
Exactly
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by hustla(m): 1:20am On Oct 09, 2012
So why was the man of God afraid?
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by mkohagwu(m): 2:21am On Oct 09, 2012
The "Aircraft" no get name?
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by free2ryhme: 2:40am On Oct 09, 2012
[size=15pt]pilots wey never fly plane b4 for but with mouth plenty for NL ooooo grin grin grin grin[/size]
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by trublu(m): 4:19am On Oct 09, 2012
berem: Why dem no push the plane make the engine start? shey the plane na manual abi automatic? "Just asking"
.....ℓ̊ hardly comment on NL...but ℓ̊'ve been noticing ur comments ,always irrelevant 2 d issues being discussed GROW UP.
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by GAR3TH(m): 4:36am On Oct 09, 2012
The title is misleading because they never took off. Even if they did a plane can still fly with only 1 engine working, so they weren't in any real danger. This type of things happened to me on british airways on a flight from london to New York. 2 of the 4 engines would not start so we had to disembark the plane in and orderly fashion. No body panic nor screamed. Once they fixed the problem we were on our way on the same plane.
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by manosteel(m): 5:41am On Oct 09, 2012
After the airport authorities have done their routine check, the pilot is the last man to check and confirm that the aircraft is in good condition and safe to fly, and he will have to put down his signature on the paper. In this, it's one of those final routine checks, that the pilot discovered that one of the engines was not functioning properly. So what's the big issue here. For God's sake, aircraft is made up of eletromechanical devices with less than 100% efficiency. Man can only do his best.
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by laclass(m): 5:43am On Oct 09, 2012
thank God nothing happen anyway..but why is this pastor so afraid of death? knowing that he is going to heaven with d wife even if it happens,and he is there saying not his portion. undecided
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by Nobody: 6:16am On Oct 09, 2012
A commercial airliner doesn't need engines to fly. If all engines fail, it can glide to a landing. Engines exist to keep the airplane flying at high speed and at constant altitude, but without engines, the airplane will continue to fly, except that it will gradually descend as it flies, and of course it will slow down.

Mechanical failures are so rare in modern jet engines that the average airline captain today will never see such a failure during his career (although pilots are regularly trained to handle failures in the simulator). Nevertheless, airliners typically have at least two engines, one of which is actually redundant—that is, the airliner can take off, fly to a destination, and land with just one engine. This is why some twin-engine jets climb so rapidly after takeoff: they have twice the power they really need when both engines are running.

A failure of all engines is thus wildly improbable. However, if it happens, the pilots have back-ups to provide power while they glide to a landing. An auxiliary power unit (APU) can be started to provide electricity, hydraulic power, and compressed air for the cabin and all essential systems. If that doesn't work, many airliners have a RAT (ram air turbine), which is a little propeller that pops out of the plane and turns in the wind to provide emergency power. Some airliners with four engines just use the engines themselves for power, since the engines will continue to turn in the wind even when they are not running. Beyond that, there are battery backup systems.

The only time a complete failure of all engines is likely to be a serious problem is over the open ocean. Airliners can easily glide for 100 miles or so to a landing, but over the ocean there might not be any place to land within 100 miles, so if the engines cannot be restarted, eventually the airplane will have to ditch in the water. This is such an unlikely scenario, however, that it hasn't really ever been an issue.

The only times that all engines have been lost over the open ocean are after encounters with volcanic ash, as I recall, and even then, the aircraft were usually lucky enough to have been able to restart the engines after getting out of the ash cloud (although the aircraft were badly damaged).

1 Like

Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by lukkie(m): 6:31am On Oct 09, 2012
"Man of God" wan go heaven but e nor wan die. Muhahahaha grin
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by piphunter(m): 7:10am On Oct 09, 2012
denitro:

Then you hadn't heard of China Airline flight 006 1985

One engine failed in mid air, causing the plane to roll to the right.
The captain immediately disconnected the autopilot but the plane had rolled over 60 degrees to the right
and the nose had begun to drop....

The plane was few hundred feets from crashing into the ocean before the pilot regained control.

NB:
Most planes used by Aero, Arik etc are two engine planes.
One fails, there will be too much power on one side of the plane causing the plane to roll.
not if the pilot counters the failed engine with inputs from the rudder to keep the plane from rolling :>wink
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by Captwahala(m): 9:01am On Oct 09, 2012
I guess in four engine planes, the failure of one engine or even two (one of each pair on either side), can still be managed by an experienced Pilot.

But most of our local flights use two engine planes (one on each side) and the failure of one will cause so much "roll" that the plane would 95% of the time, CRASH.

if we want to make comparisons, lets compare like with like.
Now show me how many single engine planes (one on each side) survived an engine failure while fully airborne?

That plane should have been properly checked before passengers board...... and the problem detected earlier.
If that has been done, all these "fear and near mishaps" could have been avoided.

Lastpage1

Utter drivel! In certain circumstances, 4 engine airplanes are more critical to land in engine failures than 2 engine aircraft. A lot of 4 engine aircraft are not flyable with only the number 1 or 4 engine operative, others cannot execute a go around maneuver with 2 engines on one side inoperative.

Passengers have need to worry about engine failures. Airlines use "transport Category" aircraft which are certified to PART 25 standards. This means the aircraft should be able to safely operate following the failure of an engine at any phase of flight. Engine failures in modern aircraft are rare.
Every pilot (Jet transport, certain turboprop pilots train once a year) in Nigeria has to undergo recurrent training every 6 months which include two mandatory items: engine failure on takeoff and single engine landing. To a competent pilot, its all in a day's work.

In the airline industry, the assumption is that airplane components are not 100% reliable so contingencies are made for failures. The buffer between what aircraft are capable of and what is actually permitted in operational service is called the SAFETY MARGIN. The important thing is this safety margin doesn't get eroded by greed and sharp practices. The primary duty for ensuring this does not happen lies on the NCAA, which itself is a very weak and ineffective agency.

Let's all refrain from uneducated comments please. Despite the fact that most of us claim to be educated and enlightened,majority of the posts here seem like the views i would expect from Aluu villagers.
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by simdam500(m): 9:35am On Oct 09, 2012
Silly!!! Why do we ave to keep sayin things over and over again, i already ave it in mind that in centuries to com we shall hear plane problems no more but it so surprisin dat it occur again. In Nigeria, we ought to tink clockwise and not anti, dat human lives are 2b protected and not shattered no matter d situation. If d planes and d engineers r not trusted anymore, let dem park sumwher joor and stop killin destinies and future
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by Adex4u4v(m): 10:46am On Oct 09, 2012
wat make plane to crash is wen d interior propeller handle fails and d tempo gear pack off,if d plane is in a range of 35mile to d nearest airport,it can land safely,but if not d tempo gear wont be able to take d plane further,hereby causing d whole hydrualic press to shut down,and if dis happen wen d plane is in air,death is d call cuz crash is inevitable.most plane crash in nigeria happen due to hydrualic press shutdown(meaning engine failure).
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by okuya: 11:00am On Oct 09, 2012
Pls stop creating a sensational headline about the incident, it is only a precautionary measure dat d flight be cancelled to ascertained d cause of the failure and ensure its not something dat might affect d remaining engines.
Even wide body aircrafts such 747 & A380 can remain airborne even with a single engine if d other three engines fails. The aviation reporter here ought to have known better than us or is only trying to mis-inform the public.
And for the passngers trying to burst open d door, were they expecting to jump down on d tarmac, and did they forget about d emergency exit!, I believe d public needs more enlightnment on aviation!
Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by Nobody: 12:23pm On Oct 09, 2012
At least they could push and kick start!!! grin

Re: Another Plane Crash Averted As Aero Contractor Plane Engine Packed Up by hardbody: 4:15pm On Oct 09, 2012
Yomieluv: I cant enter any local flight in Nigeria again,except when am above 80years.they are nothing but flying coffins..

Stop yarning dust, have been close to an airport before? You are waiting for your grandchildren to pay for your flight for an omugwo. Mumu oshi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Amaechi Alleges Plot To Assassinate Peterside / Tinubu, Bisi Akande & Ajimobi Pay Condolence Visit To Aregbesola Over Mum Death / Oyegun Sidelined Tinubu After Buhari’s Victory – APC Chieftain, Kpodo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.