Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,931 members, 7,952,742 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:50 PM

Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (28373 Views)

Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by bigx(m): 12:07pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
Their language is Ibani(not Ijaw) and they speak Igbo together with their language.

Their names are mostly english, Igbo and Ijaw

My sister was born in Ikwerre land but that doesn't mean she's Ikwerre.

A typical Bonny man will not identify with Ijaws.

They started speaking igbo during the era of the slave trade because Bonny was the point of entry for ships during the colonial error, the language was picked up from cargo through the east

I've NEVER seen a Bonny person (except maybe one parent is igbo) with an Igbo name, Opobo maybe but not Bonny

I don't mean born that way, I mean that's their ancestral land.

That premise is faulty, I stay around Bonny people everyday so I know what I'm saying, check civil war history.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by obicentlis: 12:08pm On Oct 12, 2012
A republican!
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 12:09pm On Oct 12, 2012
bigx:

They started speaking igbo during the era of the slave trade because Bonny was the point of entry for ships during the colonial error, the language was picked up from cargo through the east

I've NEVER seen a Bonny person (except maybe one parent is igbo) with an Igbo name, Opobo maybe but not Bonny

I don't mean born that way, I mean that's their ancestral land.

That premise is faulty, I stay around Bonny people everyday so I know what I'm saying, check civil war history.
I was actually mostly referring to Opobo. I don't usually seperate Bonny and Opobo.

Don't also forget that slaves from Igbo heartland were also taken to Bonny/Opobo.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 12:09pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
Anioma is Igbo speaking.
What are the communities that make up Anioma?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 12:11pm On Oct 12, 2012
chucky234: What are the communities that make up Anioma?
Asaba, Agbor, Ndokwa, Ubulu-Ukwu, Issele ukwu, Ogwashukwu, Ibusa etc

Are you from Delta state?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Oct 12, 2012
chucky234: You don't even know your root,what a pity.
You follow me everywhere I go. Is that not awesome ? You have been promoted to the position of BillyOnaire's bouncer. Follow me around boy.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by bigx(m): 12:11pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
I was actually mostly referring to Opobo. I don't usually seperate Bonny and Opobo.

Ok, I can see where we disagree, Opobo and Bonny are totally different, Opobo folks settled where they are after the war of King Jaja with the Bonny Chiefs, if you mention Opobo, then I'd agree, yes a lot of them are Igbo/ have igbo ancestry.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Adanyebe(m): 12:16pm On Oct 12, 2012
ONCE HE IS GREEDY AND FAT HEADED grin

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 12, 2012
Abagworo:

Do you actually believe all the Igbos you've met are from one origin or born of Igbo parents? Ethnicity is actually a thing of the mind and not a thing of blood. An Igbo is anybody that believes he is Igbo and has the ethnic consciousness. A typical example on nairaland is "agbotaen" and "Ogbuefi" who are both from Ika(Igbo speaking part of Delta). While Ogbuefi believes he's 100% Igbo, Agbotaen dislikes being associated with Igbo.

Even someone from the heart of Igboland like [/b]Oraukwu[b], Nnewi and Orlu could dissociate himself and children from Igbo if he so wishes while a white European like Andre's friend recognizes himself as Igbo.

bia, dis guy, why would you use Oraukwu for such example, im a proud oraukwu man, proud igbo man, and proud biafran, abeg use oraukwu for a better example next time
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dainfamous: 12:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
river state are natural born murderers that carry igbo names are not igbo by blood we welcome delta igbo only...
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 12:19pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
Asaba, Agbor, Ndokwa, Ubulu-Ukwu, Issele ukwu, Ogwashukwu, Ibusa etc

Are you from Delta state?
Ndokwa has never being an Igbo entity and will never be,the people of Ndokwa knows their history quite well,if you care to know then carry out a thorough research. Ogume for instance migrated from Beni while Obiaruku has a huge history with the people of Isoko,Asaba and Ogwashi-Uku had their roots from Igbo but certainly not Ndokwa.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by bigx(m): 12:23pm On Oct 12, 2012
Da infamous: river state are natural born murderers that carry igbo names are not igbo by blood we welcome delta igbo only...

Poor generalization if you're referring to Aluu, Aluu is ikwerre and Ikwerre (who bear igbo names) are only found in very few upland local govts in Nigeria.
Apart from that they'v been commiting jungle justice all around Nigeria for ages, this was documented on video and in photographs which is why it became a big issue.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 12:23pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: You follow me everywhere I go. Is that not awesome ? You have been promoted to the position of BillyOnaire's bouncer. Follow me around boy.
Hahahahahaha
I like the Billy part of your moniker,sound more like alomo seller than a billionaire.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 12:23pm On Oct 12, 2012
chucky234: Ndokwa has never being an Igbo entity and will never be,the people of Ndokwa knows their history quite well,if you care to know then carry out a thorough research. Ogume for instance migrated from Beni while Obiaruku has a huge history with the people of Isoko,Asaba and Ogwashi-Uku had their roots from Igbo but certainly not Ndokwa.
I won't engage you in arguing over who's Igbo and who's not. I'm tired of having that argument. You asked "Can you pls list the ethnic groups you referred to as "Igbo speaking part of Delta". This is about communities that speak Igbo and not whether or not they're Igbo. I don't have time for tomfoolery.

Btw, are you Ndokwa? If you are, can you speak isoko?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by ceemlon(m): 12:23pm On Oct 12, 2012
I think I should deviate a little in other to help us understand ourselves better. Citizenship could be acquired by 1) Birth 2) Marriage and registration 3) Confirment 4) Naturalization. Please do not forget the fact that we are product of two thinds - Nurture and nature. It therefore follows that if both or either of your parents are Igbo, you are Igbo. I know someone will like to augue that one is more Igbo than the other, but the truth is that if your are born in an environment dorminated by the Igbo, definitely you behave and act Igbo. If you are married to an Igbo person, you have automatically become an Igbo. Remember Igbo is the shorten form of Hebrew - the God's own chosen people and the Bible says that therefore a man would leave his father and mother and cling to his wife and the two would become one. Therefore, what God has joined together, let no man put asunder.If you contest this, I think you would surely have a contest with God. On the third point, if Igbo is confirmed on you, it there means to say that you are not Igbo neither by birth nor marriage but by the contributions you have made to enhance Igbo lives. This is a sort of recognition for contributions made to humanity of Igbo descent. But the question here is how can this be measured? A non-Igbo recognised for such contributions in Igbo-Ukwu might not stand the same test in Owerri. (Please I am making instances I am neither from any of these places mentioned and I don't mean to deride anybody here.) The 4th point then is, if by chance you are not Igbo but have remained domicile in Igboland for upward of 25years, it is your choice to naturalize in as much as you can speak fluently the local dialect not language. The fouth is a matter of choice. I have seen people from Rivers (Ikwerre - pls ask Elechi Amadi who wrote Sunset in Biafra) and Delta (Kwali) and they told me point blank that they are not Igbos. Would you force Igboness on them. To this people, it's a matter of choice.
Biko nu umunne m na umunna m, o dighi nma ka anyi na-ago onwe anyi onu na ihe odide a. Ugwu bu nkwa nye nkwa nya nwanyi amuo ibe ya. Ndu mmiri ndu azu, mmiri atala ma azu anwula. Egbe beere, ugo beere. Nke sii ibe ya ebela nku kwapu ya. Igbo ndi-oma mu ji eme onu, ya diiri unu na nma oooooooo.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dainfamous: 12:24pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Both of my paternal and maternal grand mums are Igbo, does that qualify me as Igbo ?
being a Billyonaire have already made you an igbo person...
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Frostyzone(m): 12:26pm On Oct 12, 2012
okpara ugo: Igbos are wisemen from the east. Abia is the only Nigerian state mentioned in the holy bible. They sent gifts to Jesus when he was born.
LMAO!!!
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 12, 2012
Da infamous: being a Billyonaire have already made you an igbo person...
Congratulations to me then, I love Igboic way of life, I love Igbos more than I love condoms.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 12:29pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Congratulations to me then, I love the people, I love Igbos more than I love condoms.
How dare you compare Igbos with condoms grin.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
How dare you compare Igbos with condoms grin.
That was not comparison my friend, in elementary English we called it Metaphor.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 12:32pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: That was not comparison my friend, in elementary English we called it Metaphor.
The metaphoric use of condoms to somewhat qualify Igbos is...
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Sealeddeal(m): 12:33pm On Oct 12, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Yea, lower Niger is more appropriate to use for the location of Ndigbo. Even before the colonialist devided Ndigbo into east and west regions, geography had done that already. They only followed the geographical demarcation to biset Ndigbo.
Anyway, back to topic: location of Ndigbo-the 5 south east states, Delta north, upland Rivers/Bonny, Opobo, Igbanke in Edo state, Ndoki in Etim Ekpo, Akwa Ibom state and Okpokwu LGA in Benue state.
Outside Nigeria, there are indigenous Ndigbo in Equatorial Guinea mostly of Aro stock.
....do Opobo people speak Igbo? I heard saying that have stayed at Rivers saying that Opobo people doesnt speak Igbo.equally,Ikwerre people that claim dat they aint Igbo,does their claim make them less igbo or can thay be dissociated from Igbo.Is Ikwerre within the Ohaneze ndiigbo?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
The metaphoric use of condoms to somewhat qualify Igbos is...
Shows genetic love for my maternal and paternal grand mums who were strong igbos. They taught me how to sell in the local markets and I started with Kerosene in Jerry Cans. All Hail Igbos, the most comfortable Nigerians.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by EzePromoe: 12:35pm On Oct 12, 2012
chucky234: Ndokwa has never being an Igbo entity and will never be,the people of Ndokwa knows their history quite well,if you care to know then carry out a thorough research. Ogume for instance migrated from Beni while Obiaruku has a huge history with the people of Isoko, Asaba and Ogwashi-Uku had their roots from Igbo but certainly not Ndokwa.

All the names you mentioned above even the Ndokwa you say isn't Igbo has their meaning in Igbo language, even the meaning of the name 'anioma' can be easily described in Igbo than 'imo', 'abia', 'onitsha' and host of them.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:35pm On Oct 12, 2012
I don't like when a million and one people wander into a discussion and make it unreadable.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 12, 2012
if you can put away 10 wraps of akpu and still have enough energy to harvest 12 hectares of cassava from your farm ? you are an Igbo man

2 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 12, 2012
if your gastrocnemius muscle is the size of Texas ? you are an igbo man
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by 1shortblackboy: 12:37pm On Oct 12, 2012
Una don start again ?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Frostyzone(m): 12:41pm On Oct 12, 2012
chucky234: Ndokwa has never being an Igbo entity and will never be,the people of Ndokwa knows their history quite well,if you care to know then carry out a thorough research. Ogume for instance migrated from Beni while Obiaruku has a huge history with the people of Isoko,Asaba and Ogwashi-Uku had their roots from Igbo but certainly not Ndokwa.
Ndokwa is an Igbo name, so what's your Point.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by ChrisGnarly: 12:44pm On Oct 12, 2012
to me, if ur parents ar igbos (ur grand farthers) and u ar born of igbo parent u ar igbo, it does nt mean mata d part of the country or world u ar located. what i mean is that nt only south estern igbo ar igbo.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 12, 2012
And how can this arguement put money into the pocket of an Igbo man?

I heard yam is scarce in lagos and price of garri is going up due to lack of beans. I suggest you all goto farm to support the Igbo movement.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Ejine(m): 12:46pm On Oct 12, 2012
Well, my father's Igbo. So I guess I am too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) / Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Fashola In His Abuja Residence. Photos / Hollywood High School Hosts Ooni Of Ife In USA(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.