Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (27664 Views)

Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dainfamous: 3:04pm On Oct 12, 2012
achi4u: No.Even satan will respect its offspring and will not harm them like those 'innocent student'.

Uneastly[b],you can't found such barbaric and evil minded people in Igboland[/b]....
that is why i said b4 that they are not igbo, and they will never be.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nebeuwa(m): 3:05pm On Oct 12, 2012
An Igbo man could have children with a British woman, an African American woman or even a Yoruba women and his children will be considered Igbo.

The same cannot be said of an Igbo woman who marries outside her ethnicity.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dainfamous: 3:08pm On Oct 12, 2012
Nebeuwa: An Igbo man could have children with a British woman, an African American woman or even a Yoruba women and his children will be considered Igbo.

The same cannot be said of an Igbo woman who marries outside her ethnicity.
if u look at it the father is the one that deposit 80% DNA and the mother is just an incubator
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by fujirice: 3:13pm On Oct 12, 2012
When they say IGBO KWENU and u respond YA! U r igbo:-)
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
chucky234: I am driving now,I will provide you with detailed facts when I get to my destination,you don't know the origin of your people let alone that of Ndokwa,where did Igbos come from?

Drive carefully, keke too dey summersault for una area.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Selamsweet18(f): 3:18pm On Oct 12, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

Yes we are, I am one of them, you can learn about me too wink kiss kiss.

If you r Hardworking
If you r independent and not spoonfeed
If you r widely traveled
If you r intelligent and creative
And if you are from SE Nigeria and speak Igbo by mother or by father language,
Then you r ONYE-IGBO!!!

Hmmm! Really!
All this characteristics you have laid down belongs to your ethnic igbo group. Right? What about hundreds of other ethnic groupings in Nigeria, does it mean they don't possess same quality/ characteristic as listed by you? #justcurious

And if you don't mind, can you tell me more about you ethnic group?

Lastly, if i meet a Nigerian in my country and he has all these Qaulities you have mentioned, should i automatically assume he is an Igbo?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by achi4u(m): 3:19pm On Oct 12, 2012
Da infamous: that is why i said b4 that they are not igbo, and they will never be.
except!,
if any of them want to associate and pay the price of being an IGBO(if they know what I mean of being an Igbo),then that person is highly wellcome.

To be an 'Onye Igbo' no be small tingrin lol

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by pruchy(f): 3:22pm On Oct 12, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
Cha! Cha!! Cha!!! Cha!!! Igbo kwenu!! Ehia e e e eh!!!
Generally, an igbo man is made up of the following;
1. Business oriented (they are money conscious).
2. Embodiment of wisdom/knowledge (esp Mbaise people)
3, Domineering attitude(anywhere they find themselves' they live as if they own the place unlike the other tribes eg building of houses in a foreign land)
When u see a man with these qualities, He is a typical IGBOMAN.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by achi4u(m): 3:25pm On Oct 12, 2012
Selamsweet18:

Hmmm! Really!
All this characteristics you have laid down belongs to your ethnic igbo group. Right? What about hundreds of other ethnic groupings in Nigeria, does it mean they don't possess same quality/ characteristic as listed by you? #justcurious

Lastly, if i meet a Nigerian in my country and he has all these Qaulities you have mentioned, should automatically assume he is an Igbo?
Once an Igbo man always an Igboman
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Ozonna(m): 3:28pm On Oct 12, 2012
Selamsweet18:

Hmmm! Really!

Lastly, if i meet a Nigerian in my country and he has all these Qaulities you have mentioned, should i automatically assume he is an Igbo?

Nigerians are generally hardworking & Intelligent irrespective of the tribe. But whenever you see a Nigerian in a foreign land, there is over 70% chance that the Nigerian is an Igbo. Igbos travel alot
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by saintohia: 3:31pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ngodigha:
in that case Desmond Eliot and Mercy Johnson are not Igbo. Their mums are Igbo but their fathers are yorub and Igala.

^

You've answered it already. An Igbo mother married to non-Igbo father doesn't qualify one as Igbo.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by paris10: 3:33pm On Oct 12, 2012
Antivirus92: the first one is accurate, the second, manageable but the third is wide of the mark, not acceptable.

If you're called a tribalist now, all hell will bent lose! Imagine your ignorance! If the Americans could refer to you as Americans without giving a fcuuk about your Nigerian background, who the hell are you to stop others becoming Igbo?

This is the same bullshhit that have for so long deprive the Ndigbo of the oneness Nigeria so much crave for.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 3:35pm On Oct 12, 2012
paris10:

If you're called a tribalist now, all hell will bent lose! Imagine your ignorance! If the Americans could refer to you as Americans without giving a fcuuk about your Nigerian background, who the hell are you to stop others becoming Igbo?

This is the same bullshhit that have for so long deprive the Ndigbo of the oneness Nigeria so much crave for.
What if i called you an illiterate.Will all hell be let lose? Is America an ethnic group and is Igbo a country? Why compare them.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ejiné:

I guess you dumb Nairalanders refer to indigenes of Rivers State as Igbo, only when it suits your idiiotic motives.

I have read posts in NL that call Port Harcourt Indigenes inyamiris.

Even in other blogs and sites nowadays places like Aluu are referred to as an Igbo towns on occassion.

Very interesting that the people of Rivers State and even the entire SE are considered Igbo on selective instances.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by paris10: 3:41pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
What if i called you an illiterate.Will all hell be let lose? Is America an ethnic group and is Igbo a country? Why compare them.

There are no ethnicity in the US except of course the Native of America. If one speaks Igbo fluently,they should be able to call themselves whatever regardless of where they come from.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by saintohia: 3:41pm On Oct 12, 2012
paris10:

^

Nobody is depriving others from being Igbo, the only difference here is that we've what is termed Igbo culture which is completely different from the American, ok?

Hence, only two parameters qualifies one to be Igbo:

1. If both parents are Igbo, u're Igbo.

2. If your father is Igbo but married to non-Igbo, u're Igbo

Else, you are not Igbo...
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by ucheends(m): 3:42pm On Oct 12, 2012
Nwa agu anaghi ata afifia,nwa nmili ejiro osonmiri eficha aka
ilu bu nmanu igbo ji ekwuokwu
maka na nwata atuolu ilu ma kowaalaya, malana ego eji nwere nu nneya nala na iyi
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by mikeywise(m): 3:44pm On Oct 12, 2012
saintohia:

^

Nobody is depriving others from being Igbo, the only difference here is that we've what is termed Igbo culture which is completely different from the American, ok?

+100000
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by mikeywise(m): 3:45pm On Oct 12, 2012
saintohia:

^

this is the best answer to the question asked by the OP.QED
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Selamsweet18(f): 3:53pm On Oct 12, 2012
achi4u: Once an Igbo man always an Igboman
Can you clarify more?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 12, 2012
Qualities: Triangular head and laziness..he/she is igbo! angry

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Selamsweet18(f): 4:01pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ozonna:

Nigerians are generally hardworking & Intelligent irrespective of the tribe. But whenever you see a Nigerian in a foreign land, there is over 70% chance that the Nigerian is an Igbo. Igbos travel alot

Does this mean that 70% of Nigerians that works in with Foreign organization like,(UN), (AU), (ECA) and NGO's in my country are all Igbo's?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 4:04pm On Oct 12, 2012
okpara ugo:

Drive carefully, keke too dey summersault for una area.
Hahahah
How you take know say keke plenty for my area,e be like say you don dey use this your fake prophet strategy dey job mugus dem for your area abi.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by solomonkane(m): 4:28pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
Asaba, Agbor, Ndokwa, Ubulu-Ukwu, Issele ukwu, Ogwashukwu, Ibusa etc

Are you from Delta state?

Stop misspelling our names, there is nothing like "Ukwu", its Uku as in Ubulu-Uku, Issele-Uku, Ogwashi-Uku. Anioma people are Anioma people, the fact that Ralph Uweuche is Ohaneze president is merely political and not an indication of communality. Abdulrahman Okene was from Kogi, yet was chairman of the Arewa Consultative Forum. Go to Okene, call them Hausa/Fulani and see if they won't behead you. Anioma won't go that far but we will claim Igbo when its politically or economically expedient and reject it when its not.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by DANILSA(m): 4:30pm On Oct 12, 2012
Selamsweet18:

Does this mean that 70% of Nigerians that works in with Foreign organization like,(UN), (AU), (ECA) and NGO's in my country are all Igbo's?
WHERE IS YOUR COUNTRY? IF IT'S BRITAIN IS YORUBA, IF IT'S CHINA IS IGBO, IF IT'S CHAD IT'S HAUSA, IF IT'S ITALY IS EDO SO CHOSE grin
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by OILOFGLADNESS: 4:30pm On Oct 12, 2012
IGBO ARE THE ISREALITES, ANY WHERE YOU GO INTHIS WORLD AND DIDNT MEET AN IGBO PERSON PLEASE RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

I HAVE BEEN TYO ALL PART OF THE COUNTRY, NOT JUST VISIT, LIVE NOT LEST THAN A YEAR

THANK GOD I AM AN IGBO, IGBOS HAVE NO COMPARISON, IF NOT THIER GREEDINESS AND HATRED FOR THEIR FELLOW IGBOS

IN A COMPANY WHERE YORUBAS HOLDS THE MAIN KEY POSITION, U WILL NOTICE TAT 90% OF STAFFS ARE YORUBAS, BUT IGBOS WILL NEVER HELP THEIR OWN PEOPLE COS OF ENVY AND SELFISHNESS. OUTSIDE THAT IGBO IS GREAT, INSPITE THAT I SILL LOVE MY IGBO

EGBE BERE, UGO BERE, NKESI IBE YA EBERENA, NKU KWAYA
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by DANILSA(m): 4:32pm On Oct 12, 2012
solomonkane:

Stop misspelling our names, there is nothing like "Ukwu", its Uku as in Ubulu-Uku, Issele-Uku, Ogwashi-Uku. Anioma people are Anioma people, the fact that Ralph Uweuche is Ohaneze president is merely political and not an indication of communality. Abdulrahman Okene was from Kogi, yet was chairman of the Arewa Consultative Forum. Go to Okene, call them Hausa/Fulani and see if they won't behead you. Anioma won't go that far but we will claim Igbo when its politically or economically expedient and reject it when its not.
READ AGAIN AND TELL ME THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT U ARE. angry angry sad
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 12, 2012
solomonkane:

At least you are being honest.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Selamsweet18(f): 4:32pm On Oct 12, 2012
DANILSA: WHERE IS YOUR COUNTRY? IF IT'S BRITAIN IS YORUBA, IF IT'S CHINA IS IGBO, IF IT'S CHAD IT'S HAUSA, IF IT'S ITALY IS EDO SO CHOSE grin

My country is Ethiopia!
So...?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 4:35pm On Oct 12, 2012
Some Urhobos are of Igbo origin, Some Ijaws are of Igbo origin and even some Efik. If we go by the logic of some people here, then we can as well call them Igbo. Same goes with some Igbos who are of Ibibio, Ijaw and Benin origin. I think it is all about ethnic consciousness and not origin.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 12, 2012
Abagworo: Some Urhobos are of Igbo origin, Some Ijaws are of Igbo origin and even some Efik. If we go by the logic of some people here, then we can as well call them Igbo. Same goes with some Igbos who are of Ibibio, Ijaw and Benin origin. I think it is all about ethnic consciousness and not origin.

Even when this consciousness is seasonal and dependent on whether Igbo is in vogue or not?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 4:39pm On Oct 12, 2012
deleted

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland / Eri Festival: Ooni Of Ife, 25 African Americans To Storm Anambra / Ooni Of Ife Participates In Osun Deity Festival (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.