Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,359 members, 7,815,765 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (27665 Views)

Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by achi4u(m): 2:13pm On Oct 12, 2012
Da infamous: this is why i said, hausa fulani have taken over river state you see them walking up and down with their Muslim white garment u will think that they are human beings don't get it twisted,some river state igbos when u really trace their DNA you will find out that they are not igbos..They are mix with different genetism....
yes,immidatly they allowd Hausa warriors to infitreate and have intimate with their women during the Biafran civil war.
Imaging them denying their root?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by saintohia: 2:16pm On Oct 12, 2012
1. If both parents are Igbo, u're Igbo

2. If your father is Igbo but married to non-Igbo, u're Igbo.

Ur mother being Igbo but married to non-Igbo doesn't make u Igbo...

2 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by abbeyty(m): 2:16pm On Oct 12, 2012
you are an igbo if you can smoke igbo pass fela anikulapo kuti
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dede1(m): 2:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
ChinenyeN:
Dede, if this is the response you are giving, then I have to politely say that I don't believe you read my post well.

ChinenyeN: Europeans created Igbo identity; south easterners perpetuate it. That is what makes an Igbo. If you come from that south eastern region of Nigeria where Igboness is perpetuated, then you are Igbo (as far as the "history books" go).

I respectfully submitted that Europeans did not create Igbo identity as you have ascribed in the above write-up. In the recorded events mostly by Europeans, Igbo has been written as Eboe, Ibo, Ibuo etc by the European based on the explanation given to them by the natives. Besides general term for group of people who have the same culture and tradition, there were many terms in-use within a particular group that yielded instances such as Ohuhu, Ngwa, Ipu, Urratta, Ikwerri, Wawa, Isuoma etc. As time goes on, people have tried to latch onto names of places to define ethnicity for political gains within the useless acreage known as Nigeria.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by DANILSA(m): 2:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
ndu_chucks:

The bolded above has outlived its usefulness. Which culture and tradition are you referring to, the one designed senselessly? The bolded above will eliminate millions of Igbos from being termed as Igbos is actually silly- this is a senseless idea.

A FULANI MAN IS ASKING ME IF IGBO HAS CULTURE AND ALSO DESIGNATING IGBO CULTURE AS SENSELESS, WELL WITHOUT REMORSE AM A TYPICAL IGBO MAN AND ALL IGBOS HERE KNOWS IGBO HAS A RICH CULTURE SO I REFUSE TO ARGUE WITH YOU. IGBO MMANU,RIENU, NUONU, MUONI,ZUONU, KWEZUONU. IGBO WU OFU.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by achi4u(m): 2:18pm On Oct 12, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

Yes we are, I am one of them, you can learn about me too wink kiss kiss.

If you r Hardworking
If you r independent and not spoonfeed
If you r widely traveled
If you r intelligent and creative
And if you are from SE Nigeria and speak Igbo by mother or by father language,
Then you r ONYE-IGBO!!!
GBAM!

*daz igbo spirit*

2 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 12, 2012
An Igbo is one who can stay anywhere in d world jus in d name of MONEY. Check d Igbo dictionary is there.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Ngodigha: 2:24pm On Oct 12, 2012
saintohia: 1. If both parents are Igbo, u're Igbo

in that case Desmond Eliot and Mercy Johnson are not Igbo. Their mums are Igbo but their fathers are yorub and Igala.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Antivirus92(m): 2:24pm On Oct 12, 2012
saintohia: 1. If both parents are Igbo, u're Igbo

simple and plain. Only paternal side determine an igbo
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Antivirus92(m): 2:25pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ngodigha:
in that case Desmond Eliot and Mercy Johnson are not Igbo. Their mums are Igbo but their fathers are yorub and Igala.
yes they are not igbos. They are nwadiana/nwadiala.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Freiburger(m): 2:29pm On Oct 12, 2012
ifyalways: Not acceptable where and by who ?
He has got his point. Sometime last year, a friend asked me to pick him up after from an Igbo meeting, i decided to wait outside in the first place, so after waiting for about an hour, i thought it was time for me to go inside so he can understand i 've been waiting for him outside, so i took a sit at the extreem end of the hall not even paying any attention to what they were discussing, i was so surprised seeing even some other close friends angrily asking me to go out immediately because i'm not allowed to have a clue of what they were discussing, these are guys i 've had a minimung of ten years of friendship with. This has always been my experience with them. You 're never permited to mix into whatever they are doing most especially when it comes to money. Meanwhile when they are having problems, they are ready to tell you everything abaout them. No hating pls.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dede1(m): 2:30pm On Oct 12, 2012
ballabriggs:

Dede anuohia, na this kind forum them go see your ugly face cursing people. Relax before you get stroke. grin grin grin grin grin grin

I pity the twosome that labored during their free times to beget a piece of lamb dung such as you. You sure know the biological makeup of a creature that desecrates the place of feeding.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Ngodigha: 2:32pm On Oct 12, 2012
Antivirus92: yes they are not igbos. They are nwadiana/nwadiala.
But that will be unfair to Desmond Elliot, everything he does tilts to the Igbo side and he happily identifies himself as Igbo.
He is Igbo in my opinion.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 2:32pm On Oct 12, 2012
Freiburger:
He has got his point. Sometime last year, a friend asked me to pick him up after from an Igbo meeting, i decided to wait outside in the first place, so after waiting for about an hour, i thought it was time for me to go inside so he can understand i 've been waiting for him outside, so i took a sit at the extreem end of the hall not even paying any attention to what they were discussing, i was so surprised seeing even some other close friends angrily asking me to go out immediately because i'm not allowed to have a clue of what they were discussing, these are guys i 've had a minimung of ten years of friendship with. This has always been my experience with them. You 're never to mix into whatever they are doing most especially when it comes to money. No hating pls.
Can you sit with another family when they're discussing family issues? Anything that does not concern you, you have no business being there.Don't you have respect?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by achi4u(m): 2:34pm On Oct 12, 2012
Antivirus92: yes they are not igbos. They are nwadiana/nwadiala.
But is it not better we welcome all this great mind to our stock.grin
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by COOLDUN: 2:34pm On Oct 12, 2012
Andre Uweh:
How about those who are not from the south east e.g Amb Ralph Chukwu Uwechue-the man with the topmost position in Igboland today?.

Amb Ralph Chukwu Uwechue is a full born Igbo man from the Igbo tribe in Delta state, from Agbor down wards are all Igbo people, Igbo tribe has no majority or minority. Igbo is Igbo no matter where you find yourself.If you are proud of being an Igbo, Igbo tribe will be proud of you.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Antivirus92(m): 2:34pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ngodigha:
But that will be unfair to Desmond Elliot, everything he does tilts to the Igbo side and he happily identifies himself as Igbo.
He is Igbo in my opinion.
he is igbo socially, no doubt. But tribally he is not igbo.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Freiburger(m): 2:38pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
Can you sit with another family when they're discussing family issues? Anything that does not concern you, you have no business being there.Don't you have respect?
But when you are in need you will tell me family issues i never asked you right? and pretend i'm a brother.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dainfamous: 2:38pm On Oct 12, 2012
achi4u: yes,immidatly they allowd Hausa warriors to infitreate and have intimate with their women during the Biafran civil war.
Imaging them denying their root?
do u think if those innocent student where from that evil land those demons will treat them in such a wicked,heartless, hateful barbaric manner?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 2:41pm On Oct 12, 2012
Freiburger:
But when you are in need you will tell me family issues i never asked you right? and pretend i'm a brother.
My friend, that's human nature. Live with it. No ethnic group will allow you to be present when they're having that kind of meeting.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Freiburger(m): 2:48pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
My friend, that's human nature. Live with it. No ethnic group will allow you to be present when they're having that kind of meeting.
I think i 've personaly explained whom i know an Igbo man to be. grin grin grin
On a more serious note, i will say everyone from the eastern part of Nigeria with an industrious mentality.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by nduchucks: 2:52pm On Oct 12, 2012
DANILSA: A FULANI MAN IS ASKING ME IF IGBO HAS CULTURE AND ALSO DESIGNATING IGBO CULTURE AS SENSELESS, WELL WITHOUT REMORSE AM A TYPICAL IGBO MAN AND ALL IGBOS HERE KNOWS IGBO HAS A RICH CULTURE SO I REFUSE TO ARGUE WITH YOU. IGBO MMANU,RIENU, NUONU, MUONI,ZUONU, KWEZUONU. IGBO WU OFU.

Its OK to run away with your tail tucked in when you have no sensible point to make. The discrimination that is embedded in your mindset is outdated.

P.S. To prove you are Igbo, please tell us the Igbo translation for Tomato. smiley
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dede1(m): 2:55pm On Oct 12, 2012
Freiburger:
He has got his point. Sometime last year, a friend asked me to pick him up after from an Igbo meeting, i decided to wait outside in the first place, so after waiting for about an hour, i thought it was time for me to go inside so he can understand i 've been waiting for him outside, so i took a sit at the extreem end of the hall not even paying any attention to what they were discussing, i was so surprised seeing even some other close friends angrily asking me to go out immediately because i'm not allowed to have a clue of what they were discussing, these are guys i 've had a minimung of ten years of friendship with. This has always been my experience with them. You 're never permited to mix into whatever they are doing most especially when it comes to money. Meanwhile when they are having problems, they are ready to tell you everything abaout them. No hating pls.

You behaved like an Olodo. Unfortunately, you showed no manners for sitting in a gathering where the majority of people were strangers to you even if you were of the same ethnicity with them.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by candieangel12(f): 2:57pm On Oct 12, 2012
What makes you igbo? Simple, your surname.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nebeuwa(m): 2:58pm On Oct 12, 2012
If you are born to an Igbo father, then you are Igbo.

If you are born to a non-Igbo father, you can never be Igbo, because Igbo culture is patrilineal. There is no such thing as half Igbo. It is either you are Igbo or you not.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Freiburger(m): 3:01pm On Oct 12, 2012
Nebeuwa: If you are born to an Igbo father, then you are Igbo.

If you are born to a non-Igbo father, you can never be Igbo, because Igbo culture is patrilineal.
What about those born to igbo mothers? Here we go again. Afam, whats your view on this?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dede1(m): 3:01pm On Oct 12, 2012
If someone’s parents are of missed ethnicity, the offspring is entitled to claim either ethnic group. However, the paternal lineage seems to dominate in most African settings due to cultural and traditional demands.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nebeuwa(m): 3:02pm On Oct 12, 2012
Freiburger:
What about those born to igbo mothers? Here we go again. Afam, whats your view on this?

They should take their father's identity. Once an Igbo woman has children with a non-Igbo man, they lose that Igbo identity. Regardless how they feel deep down inside. They can never be considered Igbo.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by achi4u(m): 3:02pm On Oct 12, 2012
Da infamous: do u think if those innocent student where from that evil land those demons will treat them in such a wicked,heartless, hateful barbaric manner?
No.Even satan will respect its offspring and will not harm them like those 'innocent student'.

Uneastly,you can't found such barbaric and evil minded people in Igboland....
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by annastacie: 3:03pm On Oct 12, 2012
me i be delta igbo kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Freiburger(m): 3:03pm On Oct 12, 2012
Nebeuwa:

They should take their father's identity. Once an Igbo woman has children with a non-Igbo man, they lose that Igbo identity. Regardless how they feel deep down inside. They can never be considered Igbo.
Thanks, i never knew this.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 12, 2012
Antivirus92: one day an hausa man will walk into ur umunna meeting and tell them that he's no more hausa but igbo. Hope u will accept him!
There are actually rites that are performed to welcome certain people into the Umunna if they were not born into it. For instance, if you are a returnee or a contentious parenthood just got resolved; or a dowry just got accepted by the family, you will be welcomed into the Umunna. The Igbo also have something akin to the nationalisation for settlers who have lived in a community and contributed to its development over years.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland / Eri Festival: Ooni Of Ife, 25 African Americans To Storm Anambra / Ooni Of Ife Participates In Osun Deity Festival (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.