Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,418 members, 7,815,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (27666 Views)

Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dainfamous: 1:25pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Thanks, that means my aim of getting Igbo Chieftaincy Title is defeated. I need it for my political Resume.
don't get me wrong, nwadiana is well respected in igboland in fact if u are nwadiana for example igbo elders and traditional rulers always respect nwadiana,they say,nwadana bu eke.meaning nwadiaana is like a python snake..
In igboland python are like GOD,people are very careful with the serpent they are well respected,if u see python in your room call the elders they will carefully beg the python till the python leaves the house,once the python is out from your room they will carefully take the snake back to the bush..If u mistakenly kill it,you will bury it in a casket,arrange a 3 days funeral ceremony,kill cows and cook people will come to the funeral.Is a 3 days process with that GOD/AMADIOHA will be at peace with u...
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by DANILSA(m): 1:26pm On Oct 12, 2012
THIS TOPIC IS A DIFFICULT ONE, BUT ACCORDING TO IGBO CULTURE IF YOUR FATHER IS NOT AN IGBO MAN YOUR NOT IGBO BUT ONLY RELATED TO IGBOS. NWADIALA, OKENE, SO BILLYONAIRA IF UR FATHER IS NOT IGBO ACCORDING TO IGBO TRADITION UR RELATED TO IGBOS UR NOT IGBO EVEN IF UR MOTHER IS
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Antivirus92(m): 1:27pm On Oct 12, 2012
stagger:

Have you been to the Hausa community at Onu-Asata in Enugu? All the Hausa kids there are bi-lingual. Do your research.
that's doesn't relate to what we are discussing at all.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nightshift(m): 1:28pm On Oct 12, 2012
If you allow someone define who you are, you are in trouble. Same apply to the Igbo question!

3 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Antivirus92(m): 1:31pm On Oct 12, 2012
DANILSA: THIS TOPIC IS A DIFFICULT ONE, BUT ACCORDING TO IGBO CULTURE IF YOUR FATHER IS NOT AN IGBO MAN YOUR NOT IGBO BUT ONLY RELATED TO IGBOS. NWADIALA, OKENE, SO BILLYONAIRA IF UR FATHER IS NOT IGBO ACCORDING TO IGBO TRADITION UR RELATED TO IGBOS UR NOT IGBO EVEN IF UR MOTHER IS
i like ur explanation. It's pretty good and clear.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by DANILSA(m): 1:34pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Congratulations to me then, I love Igboic way of life, I love Igbos more than I love condoms.
DID HE SAY CONDOM? grin grin grin
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Oct 12, 2012
DANILSA: THIS TOPIC IS A DIFFICULT ONE, BUT ACCORDING TO IGBO CULTURE IF YOUR FATHER IS NOT AN IGBO MAN YOUR NOT IGBO BUT ONLY RELATED TO IGBOS. NWADIALA, OKENE, SO BILLYONAIRA IF UR FATHER IS NOT IGBO ACCORDING TO IGBO TRADITION UR RELATED TO IGBOS UR NOT IGBO EVEN IF UR MOTHER IS
Okay, thanks for the insights. So nature decides who an Igbo is, and there is nothing anyone can do about it I guess. I needed this Chieftaincy Title from my grand parents' village badly.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dede1(m): 1:36pm On Oct 12, 2012
ChinenyeN: Europeans created Igbo identity; south easterners perpetuate it. That is what makes an Igbo. If you come from that south eastern region of Nigeria where Igboness is perpetuated, then you are Igbo (as far as the "history books" go).

Sometimes, your utterances on this forum get me thinking. Even when the first Europeans berthed at the coast known as Bight of Biafra, they either tried to name a place as pivotal point of direction or found out the identity of the people. It is unfortunate in your wildest imagination, you fathomed the Europeans came up with the word-Igbo. Maybe, the Europeans came up with the word-Ngwa. It appears your detest for collective entity known as Igbo is driving you nuts.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 1:37pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Okay, thanks for the insights. So nature decides who an Igbo is, and there is nothing anyone can do about it I guess. I needed this Chieftaincy Title from my grand parents' village badly.
Ethnicity does not decide who gets a chieftaincy title rather your hardwork especially towards that particular community is the deciding factor. Go and build a road or school for any community in Igboland and come back and tell me the result.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Sealeddeal(m): 1:39pm On Oct 12, 2012
Sealeddeal: You are an Igbo man if u are from old Eastern Nigeria and Benue or have 'settled' in any of these area for up to 20years and married to an Igbo man/woman,If you are born of Igbo parents or adopted by same or if your father is an Igbo man,If you accept Igbo as ur root,If you speak Igbo,....this goes to show that some Ikwerres or some parts of Delta who claim non-igbo origin are not Igbo.Any person who cannot speak Igbo whether born of Igbo parents is not Igbo.you must satisfy all the conditions listed above before u'll be considered Igbo.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dainfamous: 1:39pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
Ethnicity does not decide who gets a chieftaincy title rather your hardwork especially towards that particular community is the deciding factor. Go and build a road or school for any community in Igboland and come back and tell me the result.
true talk
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by ballabriggs: 1:43pm On Oct 12, 2012
Dede1:

Sometimes, your utterances on this forum get me thinking. Even when the first Europeans berthed at the coast known as Bight of Biafra, they either tried to name a place as pivotal point of direction or found out the identity of the people. It is unfortunate in your wildest imagination, you fathomed the Europeans came up with the word-Igbo. Maybe, the Europeans came up with the word-Ngwa. It appears your detest for collective entity known as Igbo is driving you nuts.

Dede anuohia, na this kind forum them go see your ugly face cursing people. Relax before you get stroke. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by kheart(m): 1:43pm On Oct 12, 2012
If u re a hardened arm robber then u ve all d qualities of the best ibos.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by smoothcrim2090: 1:43pm On Oct 12, 2012
Only Ghanaian RULE can save Igboland! We will run it like the British did!!!!
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by hollypagan: 1:44pm On Oct 12, 2012
Cha man how far or nna kee ije
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by ITbomb(m): 1:44pm On Oct 12, 2012
The Chief of Aluu , Alhaji Hassan is an Igbo , I'm not surprised
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:48pm On Oct 12, 2012
Dede1: Sometimes, your utterances on this forum get me thinking. Even when the first Europeans berthed at the coast known as Bight of Biafra, they either tried to name a place as pivotal point of direction or found out the identity of the people. It is unfortunate in your wildest imagination, you fathomed the Europeans came up with the word-Igbo. Maybe, the Europeans came up with the word-Ngwa. It appears your detest for collective entity known as Igbo is driving you nuts.
Dede, if this is the response you are giving, then I have to politely say that I don't believe you read my post well.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by nduchucks: 1:49pm On Oct 12, 2012
Antivirus92: hahaha! This guy is truly ignorant of igbo culture!

You are wrong, I am fully aware of the culture which allows people like you to discriminate and dehumanize other Igbos. The cultural Osu caste system comes to mind. Fortunately, Igbos who think like you are slowly becoming extinct.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by AndreUweh(m): 1:50pm On Oct 12, 2012
Sealeddeal: ....do Opobo people speak Igbo? I heard saying that have stayed at Rivers saying that Opobo people doesnt speak Igbo.equally,Ikwerre people that claim dat they aint Igbo,does their claim make them less igbo or can thay be dissociated from Igbo.Is Ikwerre within the Ohaneze ndiigbo?
Opobo people do speak Igbo. Some bear Igbo names as well. Igbo is the first language of Opobo people.
Until recently, Opobo people and Amaigbo people in Imo state hardly inter marry because of blood relations. Do you ever wonder why the king of Opobo attends the Ahiajoku festival in Owerri?.
On the Ikwerre, The vice president of Ohanaeze Ndigbo is an Ikwerre son-Eng Isaac Mahonwu.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Dainfamous: 1:50pm On Oct 12, 2012
ITbomb: The Chief of Aluu , Alhaji Hassan is an Igbo , I'm not surprised
this is why i said, hausa fulani have taken over river state you see them walking up and down with their Muslim white garment u will think that they are human beings don't get it twisted,some river state igbos when u really trace their DNA you will find out that they are not igbos..They are mix with different genetism....
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Ejine(m): 1:53pm On Oct 12, 2012

I guess you dumb Nairalanders refer to indigenes of Rivers State as Igbo, only when it suits your idiiotic motives.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Selamsweet18(f): 1:57pm On Oct 12, 2012
Interesting topic i must say.
I'm learning a thing about one of the major ethnic groups in African most populated country.

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 12, 2012

Ignore d Ignoramus is d word for u EWU
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by nduchucks: 2:03pm On Oct 12, 2012

The bolded above has outlived its usefulness. Which culture and tradition are you referring to, the one designed senselessly? The bolded above will eliminate millions of Igbos from being termed as Igbos is actually silly- this is a senseless idea.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by StarblackM: 2:03pm On Oct 12, 2012
tpia@:
if you're born of igbo parents, you're igbo.

if you're igbo by adoption, you're igbo.

if you feel (ie want to be) you're igbo, you're igbo.

*True Talk*
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by AndreUweh(m): 2:07pm On Oct 12, 2012
chucky234: Ndokwa is not part of Anioma as its an independent ethnic group that's why Ndokwa is being refers to as the second largest ethnic group in Delta state,those words might mean different things in Igbo from what they mean to the Ndokwa people.
There are similarities among Nigerian languages,for instance salt is pronounce as nnu-iyor in Ukwuani while the Yorubas pronounce salt as iyor omitting the nnu attached to it by the Ndokwas.
Boy, stop this silly attempt of rewriting history here. Ndokwa is one of the groups that make up ANIOMA (DELTA IGBO). Ndokwa is not even an Igbo group but they come under Ukwuani group of Igbo classification. Incase if you do not know the meaning of Anioma, know it here:
A-ANIOCHA.
N-NDOKWA
I-IKA
O-OSHIMIRI.
M-a common word derived from Oshimiri.
A-COMMONLY Found in Ika, Ndowa and Aniocha.
Its a pity a lot of Delta Igbo people do not know what is Anioma.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 12, 2012
Selamsweet18: Interesting topic i must say.
I'm learning a thing about one of the major ethnic groups in African most populated country.

Yes we are, I am one of them, you can learn about me too wink kiss kiss.

If you r Hardworking
If you r independent and not spoonfeed
If you r widely traveled
If you r intelligent and creative
And if you are from SE Nigeria and speak Igbo by mother or by father language,
Then you r ONYE-IGBO!!!

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by yeye4live(m): 2:07pm On Oct 12, 2012
an igbo is som1 who is greedy 2make money n jealous of d orda tribe
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by DANILSA(m): 2:10pm On Oct 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Okay, thanks for the insights. So nature decides who an Igbo is, and there is nothing anyone can do about it I guess. I needed this Chieftaincy Title from my grand parents' village badly.
I SEEM NOT TO UNDERSTAND YOU, ARE U TRYING TO STEAL OUR SENATORIAL POSITION? THIS MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH STEALING OUR POLITICAL POSITION cry DONT WORRY I CAN CONFER ON U OCHIRIOZUO 1 OF IGBOUKWU. grin grin grin
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Oct 12, 2012
the way they shmell......and grotesquely large nostrils grin. I kid!!!!
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Freiburger(m): 2:12pm On Oct 12, 2012
tpia@:
if you're born of igbo parents, you're igbo.

if you're igbo by adoption, you're igbo.

if you feel (ie want to be) you're igbo, you're igbo.
10likes
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by AndreUweh(m): 2:12pm On Oct 12, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

Yes we are, I am one of them, you can learn about me too wink kiss kiss.

If you r Hardworking
If you r independent and not spoonfeed
If you r widely traveled
If you r intelligent and creative
And if you are from SE Nigeria and speak Igbo by mother or by father language,
Then you r ONYE-IGBO!!!
Ckeck out the first page, Andrew and Chinenye thrashed it out about south east. There are people who are Igbo but not from the south east. It is better to say the lower Niger. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland / Eri Festival: Ooni Of Ife, 25 African Americans To Storm Anambra / Ooni Of Ife Participates In Osun Deity Festival (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.