Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,083 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (27670 Views)

Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by solomonkane(m): 4:39pm On Oct 12, 2012
nnenna.1:

At least you are being honest.

Its the honest truth, there is no teacher like experience. Yorubas will use and dump the Okuns as circumstances demand, Hausa have done same with the Nupes and Kanuris and Igbos have done the same with us. Even on this thread and other similar threads, people have cast aspersions on us and insulted us for defining ourselves by ourselves.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by solomonkane(m): 4:41pm On Oct 12, 2012
DANILSA: [/color] READ AGAIN AND TELL ME THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT U ARE. angry angry sad

What would you like to know?
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by buchibabe: 4:48pm On Oct 12, 2012
If u make mention of "Nna mehn or my container abata go? Den ur a confirm igbo born
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 4:50pm On Oct 12, 2012
solomonkane:

Its the honest truth, there is no teacher like experience. Yorubas will use and dump the Okuns as circumstances demand, Hausa have done same with the Nupes and Kanuris and Igbos have done the same with us. Even on this thread and other similar threads, people have cast aspersions on us and insulted us for defining ourselves by ourselves.

Hausa and Kanuri or Nupe is no way like SE Igbo and Delta Igbo. Never! Those people don't speak same language. Hausa and Kanuri is like Hausa and Igbo in differences and intelligibility. Arewa is not an Hausa organization but also includes Yoruba and hundreds of other ethnic groups while Ohaneze is exclusively an Igbo organization.

Igbos suffered genocide, civil war and bad name just because of the deed of Aniomas which they accepted as the deed of all Igbos. Igbos did not give excuses that the 1966 killing of non-Igbo leaders was done by Anioma because we are all Igbos. Aniomas owe the Southeast a lot for that alone.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 4:51pm On Oct 12, 2012
solomonkane:

Nupes and Kanuris are not hausas for crying out loud. Some of them only speak Hausa as an official language in the North. And Yorubas don't use and dump the Okuns. It's the Okuns individually that call themselves Yorubas but you don't expect the Yorubas to call them for a meeting that involves south-west states. This thing is political.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 5:00pm On Oct 12, 2012
solomonkane:

Stop misspelling our names, there is nothing like "Ukwu", its Uku as in Ubulu-Uku, Issele-Uku, Ogwashi-Uku. Anioma people are Anioma people, the fact that Ralph Uweuche is Ohaneze president is merely political and not an indication of communality. Abdulrahman Okene was from Kogi, yet was chairman of the Arewa Consultative Forum. Go to Okene, call them Hausa/Fulani and see if they won't behead you. Anioma won't go that far but we will claim Igbo when its politically or economically expedient and reject it when its not.
You're not even ashamed to spit this nonsense. I'll address your ignorance later...stay tuned.

I'm back...

AREWA Consultative forum is a Northern group and not specifically an hausa group. So, anybody north of Edo state can occupy a position in the group. I remember Awoniyi once occupied a position in ACF. So, why are you comparing it with Anioma. The problem with some of you is that you will go to any length to deny your Igboness and tell lies but you won't even bother to a little research so that your lies will go smoothly without being caught.

The only thing i'll agree with you is the fact that Anioma people are not big on representing Igbo. They're not the kind of people that will go about telling people boldly that they're Igbo. I really don't know why...I met a woman from Agbor just 4 days ago and here's a comment i had with her...btw, i noticed she spoke Igbo once to someone and i wanted to be sure that she was one...

Me: Madam, you be Igbo?

Woman: I be Delta

Me: Where for Delta?

Woman: Agbor

Me: You be Igbo now...

Woman: Ok

Note that she didn't say that she's Igbo and she also didn't deny being one. If not, she would have said a capital NO when i asked her if she was Igbo and she would have dissociated herself from being Igbo whenever i called her Igbo.

Another conversation was also with another boy from Agbor...I asked him where he's from and he said Agbor and i said Igbo? and he said "I no sure oo. We dey speak like Igbo but i no Know. Some people dey call us Igbo". WTF!!!
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 12, 2012
solomonkane:

Stop misspelling our names, there is nothing like "Ukwu", its Uku as in Ubulu-Uku, Issele-Uku, Ogwashi-Uku. Anioma people are Anioma people, the fact that Ralph Uweuche is Ohaneze president is merely political and not an indication of communality. Abdulrahman Okene was from Kogi, yet was chairman of the Arewa Consultative Forum. Go to Okene, call them Hausa/Fulani and see if they won't behead you. Anioma won't go that far but we will claim Igbo when its politically or economically expedient and reject it when its not.

Ukwu is the proper pronunciation uku is the anglicized version. It is akin to Igbo and Ibo.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 5:07pm On Oct 12, 2012
omonuan:

Ukwu is the proper pronunciation uku is the anglicized version. It is akin to Igbo and Ibo.
It's just like the way enugu was anglicised to ENU-GU instead of ENU-GWU.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 12, 2012
Anyone that shows up on this thread and assert that Ndokwa is not Igbo is grossly misinformed. The entire Delta North is an Igbo enclave period. I know this because I am from Delta North.

UkwuaniNdokwa, Enuani and Ika are cousins. We speak the same language with different twangs. I am tired of some misguided elements from Anioma claiming that only Enuani is Igbo as if being Igbo is demeaning. In fact, Enuani (Aniocha And Oshimili) part of Anioma is the most advanced of the clans. We have been intellectually dominant for ages.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Ngodigha: 5:13pm On Oct 12, 2012
solomonkane:

What sort of nonsense is this above. are you drunk this afternoon already?.
In case you do not know, the early missionaries spelt Arochukwu as Arochuku, Chukwu as chuku, Nwachukwu as nwachuku, Ogwashi ukwu as Ogwashi uku etc. But since independence, the destiny of Ndigbo is in the hands of Ndigbo and all those abnomalities have been corrected. Only a full will now write Igbo as Ibo, Arochukwu as Arochuku and Ogwashi ukwu as Ogwashi uku.
I hope this settles permanently into some little brains out there.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Ejine(m): 5:13pm On Oct 12, 2012
yeye4live: an igbo is som1 who is greedy 2make money n jealous of d orda tribe

You are really living up to your name, my brother. Keep it up.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 5:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ejiné:

You are really living up to your name, my brother. Keep it up.
lmao cheesy
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Ngodigha: 5:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
You're not even ashamed to spit this nonsense. I'll address your ignorance later...stay tuned.

I'm back...

AREWA Consultative forum is a Northern group and not specifically an hausa group. So, anybody north of Edo state can occupy a position in the group. I remember Awoniyi once occupied a position in ACF. So, why are you comparing it with Anioma. The problem with some of you is that you will go to any length to deny your Igboness and tell lies but you won't even bother to a little research so that your lies will go smoothly without being caught.

The only thing i'll agree with you is the fact that Anioma people are not big on representing Igbo. They're not the kind of people that will go about telling people boldly that they're Igbo. I really don't know why...I met a woman from Agbor just 4 days ago and here's a comment i had with her...btw, i noticed she spoke Igbo once to someone and i wanted to be sure that she was one...

Note that she didn't say that she's Igbo and she also didn't deny being one. If not, she would have said a capital NO when i asked her if she was Igbo and she would have dissociated herself from being Igbo whenever i called her Igbo.

Another conversation was also with another boy from Agbor...I asked him where he's from and he said Agbor and i said Igbo? and he said "I no sure oo. We dey speak like Igbo but i no Know. Some people dey call us Igbo". WTF!!!
Only from Ika/Ndowa axis but they are in the miniority. The Oshimilis and Aniochas are very proud Igbo.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by DANILSA(m): 5:31pm On Oct 12, 2012
solomonkane:

What would you like to know?
YOU ARE NOT IGBO, YOU ARE NOT HAUSA, YOU ARE NOT YORUBA. PLEASE TELL NAIRALAND WHERE YOU BELONG TO. IF IT'S OIL MATTERS YOU GUYS WILL CLAIM NIGERDELTA, IF IT'S POLITICAL YOU GUYS BELONG TO AHANEZE, IF IT'S CIVIL SERVICE AND EDUCATION YOU GUYS WILL CLAIM YOUR ANCESTORS WAS RELATED TO SANGO. PLS WHAT REALLY IS YOUR TRIBE SINCE YOU HAVE DENIED US. angry sad angry

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by DANILSA(m): 5:32pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ngodigha:
Only from Ika/Ndowa axis but they are in the miniority. The Oshimilis and Aniochas are very proud Igbo.
BUT YOU HEARD YOUR BROTHERS DENY IGBOS embarassed embarassed
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Torch1(m): 5:34pm On Oct 12, 2012
Da infamous: if u look at it the father is the one that deposit 80% DNA and the mother is just an incubator
What do u mean nwanne?
So our sisters are not Igbos becos they don't have 80% DNA?
C'mon my sister is married to an Ibibio man, her kids grew up here in Anambra, they speak fluent Igbo.
To me they are Igbos.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by solomonkane(m): 5:52pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ngodigha:
What sort of nonsense is this above. are you drunk this afternoon already?.
In case you do not know, the early missionaries spelt Arochukwu as Arochuku, Chukwu as chuku, Nwachukwu as nwachuku, Ogwashi ukwu as Ogwashi uku etc. But since independence, the destiny of Ndigbo is in the hands of Ndigbo and all those abnomalities have been corrected. Only a full will now write Igbo as Ibo, Arochukwu as Arochuku and Ogwashi ukwu as Ogwashi uku.
I hope this settles permanently into some little brains out there.

Who is this senile product of an incestuous relationship? Learn how to spell and then come back.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Oct 12, 2012
IGBO KWENU grin grin grin grin cool cool cool
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 6:00pm On Oct 12, 2012
solomonkane:

Who is this senile product of an incestuous relationship? Learn how to spell and then come back.
You've still not addressed the corrections he made about your ignorance about "Ukwu"...
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by solomonkane(m): 6:03pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:

I'm back...

I refer to myself as Anioma dude, if you don't like it or if it seems I am denying you, deal with it. Association is not by force. If Okene's headship of Arewa was of no consequence as you claim, so too Uweuche's leadership of Ohaneze since they i.e ACF and Ohaneze are one and the same thing. You are too young to remember how Okene and Awoniyi fought to defend what they saw as Northern interest, only to be cast aside when the Hausas got what they wanted. The Igbos may or may not do the same to the Aniomas. I am done discussing this, if you have anything to say, let me know ASAP because there is a statue of limitation on my tolerance for arrant tomfoolery.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by solomonkane(m): 6:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
[quote author=afam4eva]
You've still not addressed the corrections he made about your ignorance about "Ukwu"...[/quo

I disagree with his assertion and I state that you and he are the ignorant ones. The Igbo "Ukwu" has always been "Uku" in Anioma hence names like Chukubeze not Chukwubeze. Are you saying the British were responsible for this one as well?. You know little compared to the village elders, bards, chiefs and others who use "Uku" instead of "Uwku". Will you now say Oshimili (Osimiri) was also Anglicized? Tell the fool not to use insulting words again, he can't take what I can dish out. I am done discussing this issue. Have a lovely weekend!!!! wink
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Afam4eva(m): 6:18pm On Oct 12, 2012
solomonkane:

I refer to myself as Anioma dude, if you don't like it or if it seems I am denying you, deal with it. Association is not by force. If Okene's headship of Arewa was of no consequence as you claim, so too Uweuche's leadership of Ohaneze since they i.e ACF and Ohaneze are one and the same thing. You are too young to remember how Okene and Awoniyi fought to defend what they saw as Northern interest, only to be cast aside when the Hausas got what they wanted. The Igbos may or may not do the same to the Aniomas. I am done discussing this, if you have anything to say, let me know ASAP because there is a statue of limitation on my tolerance for arrant tomfoolery.
Whether you're Anioma does not suffice. Afterall Anioma was created to unify the Igbo speaking areas of the old bendel and present Delta state. Very soon you'll start saying it's an ethnic group.

Like i said, ACF and Ohaneze are not the same thing. While ACF is a regional group, Ohaneze is an ethnic group.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 6:29pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva: deleted
For brief history of Ndokwa check the link:
www.nairaland.com/1072992/brief-history-ndokwa
Then we take it from there
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 6:31pm On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
Whether you're Anioma does not suffice. Afterall Anioma was created to unify the Igbo speaking areas of the old bendel and present Delta state. Very soon you'll start saying it's an ethnic group.

Like i said, ACF and Ohaneze are not the same thing. While ACF is a regional group, Ohaneze is an ethnic group.
Who sold those lies into your coconut head,check www.nairaland.com/1072992/brief-history-ndokwa
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 6:34pm On Oct 12, 2012
Abagworo:

Hausa and Kanuri or Nupe is no way like SE Igbo and Delta Igbo. Never! Those people don't speak same language. Hausa and Kanuri is like Hausa and Igbo in differences and intelligibility. Arewa is not an Hausa organization but also includes Yoruba and hundreds of other ethnic groups while Ohaneze is exclusively an Igbo organization.

Igbos suffered genocide, civil war and bad name just because of the deed of Aniomas which they accepted as the deed of all Igbos. Igbos did not give excuses that the 1966 killing of non-Igbo leaders was done by Anioma because we are all Igbos. Aniomas owe the Southeast a lot for that alone.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Orikinla(m): 6:40pm On Oct 12, 2012
[size=28pt]THE FUNNY THING ABOUT LIFE IS WE NEVER HAD A CHOICE IN OUR BIRTH AND WE NEVER HAD A CHOICE OF WHO WOULD BE OUR PARENTS, OUR TRIBE, RACE, RELIGION OR LOOKS.
WE ARE ALL INNOCENT OF WHEREVER WE HAVE FOUND OURSELVES. [/size]

1 Like

Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by chucky234(m): 6:41pm On Oct 12, 2012
omonuan: Anyone that shows up on this thread and assert that Ndokwa is not Igbo is grossly misinformed. The entire Delta North is an Igbo enclave period. I know this because I am from Delta North.

UkwuaniNdokwa, Enuani and Ika are cousins. We speak the same language with different twangs. I am tired of some misguided elements from Anioma claiming that only Enuani is Igbo as if being Igbo is demeaning. In fact, Enuani (Aniocha And Oshimili) part of Anioma is the most advanced of the clans. We have been intellectually dominant for ages.
What a fool,as old as you are you know nothing about your heritage. Who the hell told you that Ndokwas are Igbos,Igbos don't even know their origin. To save yourself from further embarrassment you can learn about your origin here www.nairaland.com/1072992/brief-history-ndokwa
I'd:iot, ewu Hausa.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by mimifonwon(f): 6:51pm On Oct 12, 2012
just get over it. you are igbo and have rights in igbo land like anybody if your father is igbo-that is a given. but in some igbo clans if your mother is the first daughter or of royality, you are igbo even if she marries into another tribe, your maternal uncles and family will always see you as one of them and protect you. but in most cases you are always what your father is, that is why families always want sons because they carry the lineage..tribe and clan. it all depends on which society you are coming from, and in nigeria which is a patrilineal society, your identity is gotten from one parent, the man. but Nneka!!- in ghana though in the ashanti tribe a child's identity is the identity of the mother... because its a matrilineal society. you got it now nairalanders its all based on the type of society you come from.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 6:52pm On Oct 12, 2012
chucky234: What a fool,as old as you are you know nothing about your heritage. Who the hell told you that Ndokwas are Igbos,Igbos don't even know their origin. To save yourself from further embarrassment you can learn about your origin here www.nairaland.com/1072992/brief-history-ndokwa
I'd:iot, ewu Hausa.

But are you aware that it was Aboh King that told the whitemen that they and all those that speak their language were Ibos? The evidences are everywhere on the net from accounts written as far back as 17th century. All the Kwale people I've met told me they are Igbos. I've not met any non-Igbo Kwale girl or guy.

I can provide you with enough links. Forget about all these revisionism that started during the massacre of Igbos in the late 1960s.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Ngodigha: 6:55pm On Oct 12, 2012
[quote author=solomonkane][/quote]
First class pig, your are the most demented fool to ever comment on this thread. Why are you here in the first place piggy?. Shameless pig, this is not a place for attention seeking. Phuck off and die, bastard.
Re: Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Oct 12, 2012
Orikinla: [size=28pt]THE FUNNY THING ABOUT LIFE IS WE NEVER HAD A CHOICE IN OUR BIRTH AND WE NEVER HAD A CHOICE OF WHO WOULD BE OUR PARENTS, OUR TRIBE, RACE, RELIGION OR LOOKS.
WE ARE ALL INNOCENT OF WHEREVER WE HAVE FOUND OURSELVES. [/size]

This truth will always go over people's head and it will always be business in ethnic bigotry as usual.

But nice try.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Pls I Need Advice On How To Go For My Marriage Introduction In Igboland / Eri Festival: Ooni Of Ife, 25 African Americans To Storm Anambra / Ooni Of Ife Participates In Osun Deity Festival (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.