Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

What Happened To MR BIGGS? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Happened To MR BIGGS? (49849 Views)

Student Finds Cockroach Inside A Meat Pie She Bought At Mr. Biggs(pic / Photo: See What Mr Biggs Sell As Meat Pie / Mr Biggs' Fried Rice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jul 27, 2013
Rolly83:

My Guy u are totally correct,i even wonder how ''Macdonalds'' did it....

McDonalds even though most of their shops are franchise outlets have zero tolerance to drop in standard and with government inspectors visiting almost every month and sometimes impromptu, the outlets have no choice than to sell quality stuff or risk heavy fines and closure.

mcdonalds is a proper fast food restaurant. Most food produced dont spend more than 45 minutes on the tray, if it goes over. its thrown in the bin. So despite the fact that they have a lot of waste, the manager skills come into play here as his/her job entails reducing waste as much as possible. Imagine mrbiggs throwing away their meat pies cos its gone over its tray life.lol.

McDonalds spends a lot in training its staff. Their food are very affordable as well.

I believe the two most important factor that's killing mr biggs and all other outlets are

1. While most other food outlets are fully managed by their respective owners, Mr biggs went the way of franchise which is not yet ripe for the Nigerian market, an average Nigerian is greedy and dishonest. He would do anything even if it means breaking the rules or bribing others to increase his profit margin. His excuse would be high cost of sales.

2. The GDP per capita of the country is getting worse. people are becoming poorer hence can't afford a £4 meal at a sitting. That £4 pounds(250 naira) is the average price of medium meal at MCD. An average westerner e.g Briton earns a minimum wage of circa £6 per hour and works say 7hours, Monday to Friday, that would give a rough estimate of 210k per month in naira. let's remove tax, bills, expenses e.t.c the worker could still have up to 80k naira left every month. A Nigerian worker earns a minimum wage of circa 18k naira. Therefore someone earning 80k after deduction can afford to spend more than someone on 18k
Rossikk:

You are WRONG. Per capita GDP in Nigeria is RISING not falling.
I was expecting this reply rossikk. That's what the stats say but the masses pocket says otherwise. What if the increased output wasn't getting to all head. I mean distributed amongst the masses as it ought to be.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 27, 2013
twaintoy: Come to Akure, the Ondo State capital, u will see a mr biggz branch using candle to serve the only 1 customer they have. There was a day I asked the lady that posses as the boss why they alwayz use candles, she said the gen was not working and no fuel. Its either there's no ice cream or pop corn, the only thing they have left is the left-over friend and jollof rice over the counter. Go to Ado Ekiti, mr biggz have folded up, infact, the building have been sold out. In Osun state, Ondo and ekiti states, there is a new eatery in town called Captain Cook. This eatery have succeded in ruining and closing down all mr biggz outlets across these 3states I mentioned earlier. The reign of mr biggz have come and gone. I doubt if they can still reign again.
I remember captain cook. captain cook opened an outlet in ile ife in 2005. I believe most of the restaurants are struggling. Mr Biggs is just the one finding it most difficult among the rest.

pro01: Not only Mr. Biggs; most of the fast food franchises are dying, and it is not necessarily because of poor mansgement. I think it has more to do with the high prices and low purchasing power of Nigerians. Don't forget this is supposed to be fast, junk food. . .just like McDonalds in the US and elsewhere. It is supposed to be restaurant chains that sell CHEAP food that any tom, dîck, and harry can afford.

Unfortunately, the average plate of dry rice and chicken with a small bottle of water costs around N1000. When you choose to add 'mende mende' like moin-moin, plaintain, and salad, your bill might stagger towards the N2000 mark. Not many ordinary Nigerians can afford this for one meal, on a REGULAR basis. And if people can't buy these meals regularly, how do you expect the restaurant chains to survive? It is not possible. Perhaps they should reinvent their business models to consider a more low-cost approach.
Gbamest!
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by crisycent: 1:18pm On Jul 27, 2013
I think Mr. Biggs felt "too comfortable" and thought they were "too big to fail"; but Nigeria grew and pockets got bigger, instead of taking a girl to Mr. Biggs, she will tell you "let's meet at a chinese restaurant".
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Rossikk(m): 1:18pm On Jul 27, 2013
saxywale:

2. The GDP per capita of the country is getting worse. people are becoming poorer hence can't afford a £4 meal at a sitting. That £4 pounds(250 naira) is the average price of medium meal at MCD. An average westerner e.g Briton earns a minimum wage of circa £6 per hour and works say 7hours, Monday to Friday, that would give a rough estimate of 210k per month in naira. let's remove tax, bills, expenses e.t.c the worker could still have up to 80k naira left every month. A Nigerian worker earns a minimum wage of circa 18k naira. Therefore someone earning 100k after deduction can afford to spend more than someone on 18k

You are WRONG. Per capita GDP in Nigeria is RISING not falling. Poverty rates are also falling, as proclaimed even by the World Bank recently. The upsurge in the number of fast food eateries, malls, etc is itself testament to rising incomes and an expanding middle class.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Olaone1: 1:29pm On Jul 27, 2013
Same thing will soon happen to GLO.
A poorly-run company undecided

1 Like

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Olaone1: 1:30pm On Jul 27, 2013
Nuzo':

He's right about that business theory. Mistake he made was that he didn't explain how it works. I mean how companies and product like coca-cola have refused to die off.

New ideas and innovations are constantly introduced within the period of growth andd maturity. Rebranding.

And lucky for coca cola that [size=16pt]only 2 people know[/size] the recipe for main ingredients used in making coca-cola drink. Otherwise, coca cola wouldve have gone down.

Coca cola consumers have no choice.
A well-packaged lie!
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Acidosis(m): 1:31pm On Jul 27, 2013
cheleku: Biggs is dead. I went to one recently-the one along Ziks avenue Awka- and I couldn't believe what happened. Nepa took light and they waiters simple turned on their kerosene lamps....omo, as if that wasn't enough, Johnson my mechanic, who happens to have his workshop beside the eatery,came in with his dirty garbs to charge his phone!
I no lie.

Your mechanic came to charge his phone after power went off?

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Isiterere(m): 1:31pm On Jul 27, 2013
cheleku: Biggs is dead. I went to one recently-the one along Ziks avenue Awka- and I couldn't believe what happened. Nepa took light and they waiters simple turned on their kerosene lamps....omo, as if that wasn't enough, Johnson my mechanic, who happens to have his workshop beside the eatery,came in with his dirty garbs to charge his phone!
I no lie.

Maintaining success is more challenging compare to success attainment.
From MR BIGGS maturity stage to declining stage.
That ur mechanic na confirm business spoiler o.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jul 27, 2013
Rossikk:

You are WRONG. Per capita GDP in Nigeria is RISING not falling. Poverty rates are also falling, as proclaimed even by the World Bank recently. The upsurge in the number of fast food eateries, malls, etc is itself testament to rising incomes and an expanding middle class.
I was expecting this reply rossikk. What if the increased output has not been distributed evenly to all heads. The stats shows an increase but peoples pocket says otherwise. The missing link is corruption. The investors look at GDP and says all is well. Have u wondered why Nigerians now prefer tokunbo items even car tyres to new stuffs.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 27, 2013
They should forget about the fast food biz and convert their many outlets to supermarkets which will reduce their number of staffs at each outlet to three- one cleaner, customer attendant and a cashier, that way they will be able to compete with shoprite and do better cos they have the nationwide upperhand.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by twaintoy(f): 3:41pm On Jul 27, 2013
[quote author=saxywale]
I remember captain cook. captain cook opened an outlet in ile ife in 2005. I believe most of the restaurants are struggling. Mr Biggs is just the one finding it most difficult among the rest.] They are trying, I go there often.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by vivalavida(m): 4:04pm On Jul 27, 2013
I happened to have managed an eatery Mr Fans in calabar. So i am talking based on experience. Running an eatery buisness in Nigeria is hellish. It is like u against the world. People love new places. So u discover that when an eatery opens,u have people flocking down to that place to checkout what they have. The problems starts creeping in one by one. One is inability to maintain standard. Once your standard starts dropping so also will your customer base. Then basic amenities like power aint provided so you have to power the place. In Mr Fans where i managed,we spend #10,000 everyday to power the place. you couple this with the various taxes you have to pay,the buisness off peak periods like this rainy season,low purchasing power,high cost of production materials and a lot of other factors.So it is not jst Mr Biggs. A lot of eateries are dying gradually.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Elusive9(f): 4:05pm On Jul 27, 2013
cheleku: Biggs is dead. I went to one recently-the one along Ziks avenue Awka- and I couldn't believe what happened. Nepa took light and the waiters simply turned on their kerosene lamps....omo, as if that wasn't enough, Johnson my mechanic, who happens to have his workshop beside the eatery,came in with his dirty garbs to charge his phone!
I no lie.
shocked
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by WarHorse1(m): 4:19pm On Jul 27, 2013
The real reason Mr. Biggs fell this bad is little to do with bad customer service. Rather the business they are into was the cause. Many will say Mr. Biggs was into the business of fast-food. For me, capital NO. They were into the business of selling class satisfaction. Why did you ever go to Mr. Biggs to get whatever you eat? My guess? You wanted to please your girl or you wanted to give yourself a treat for a month end pay or your financial level demanded that Mr. Biggs was the place or you wanted to experience eating in a cozy cozy conditioning. Hardly, maybe a few times, did you go there because you wanted food that fast.

Now, I was in Benin when Mr.Biggs came in. The queues were busting the glass doors. It was the only one back then in time. The wealthy in town flocked there. I remember see some Edo house of Assembly guys there. It was a thing of pride to walk the streets with a Mr. biggs paper bag. Guys saved money to give their babes a one time treat there. Then came another (can't remember the name now) at Airport-road - I think it was owned by the one Mr.Prest. People started to opt for the new one in town. Yes, maybe there were some difference in the taste of the food. But one glaring difference was the look of the place. It was far better than that of Mr. Biggs. Then came Kaddies, with new looks and new attractions, it won people from the previous operators and so on and so forth - Tantalizers, chicken republic etc.

It was clear. The only way to stay competitive in this business was to put on added impressive looks or physical attractions. Interestingly, operators like GT foods are still in business. Why? Because their business is selling food not selling class satisfaction. GT sells food at comparatively lesser price in basic decent places. They even open outlets in student populated areas.

Much of Mr. Biggs outlets are still wearing the looks they used in winning the so called class market. It is just that those looks have been obliterated by the new ones. Just imagine if Mr. Biggs opens something like what Orientals have in Lagos at VI. Men!, they would be back in Business but for a while - while "it" lasts.

McDonald is operating in a country that is less class oriented as Nigeria. Selling in a class sensitive society requires difference rules of the game.

Mr. Biggs has two options and option one is - build more attractive outlets (possibly name them after some of our celebrities)and sell the same thing as they do now grin grin grin (Nigeria funny o) or sell food in basic but decent outlets to the average class. Doing business in Nigeria na wahala cry cry cry grin grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by texaco1: 4:28pm On Jul 27, 2013
War Horse: The real reason Mr. Biggs fell this bad is little to do with bad customer service. Rather the business they are into was the cause. Many will say Mr. Biggs was into the business of fast-food. For me, capital NO. They were into the business of selling class satisfaction. Why did you ever go to Mr. Biggs to get whatever you eat? My guess? You wanted to please your girl or you wanted to give yourself a treat for a month end pay or your financial level demanded that Mr. Biggs was the place or you wanted to experience eating in a cozy cozy conditioning. Hardly, maybe a few times, did you go there because you wanted food that fast.

Now, I was in Benin when Mr.Biggs came in. The queues were busting the glass doors. It was the only one back then in time. The wealthy in town flocked there. I remember see some Edo house of Assembly guys there. It was a thing of pride to walk the streets with a Mr. biggs paper bag. Guys saved money to give their babes a one time treat there. Then came another (can't remember the name now) at Airport-road - I think it was owned by the one Mr.Prest. People started to opt for the new one in town. Yes, maybe there were some difference in the taste of the food. But one glaring difference was the look of the place. It was far better than that of Mr. Biggs. Then came Kaddies, with new looks and new attractions, it won people from the previous operators and so on and so forth - Tantalizers, chicken republic etc.

It was clear. The only way to stay competitive in this business was to put on added impressive looks or physical attractions. Interestingly, operators like GT foods are still in business. Why? Because their business is selling food not selling class satisfaction. GT sells food at comparatively lesser price in basic decent places. They even open outlets in student populated areas.

Much of Mr. Biggs outlets are still wearing the looks they used in winning the so called class market. It is just that those looks have been obliterated by the new ones. Just imagine if Mr. Biggs opens something like what Orientals have in Lagos at VI. Men!, they would be back in Business but for a while - while "it" lasts.

McDonald is operating in a country that is less class oriented as Nigeria. Selling in a class sensitive society requires difference rules of the game.

Mr. Biggs has two options and option one is - build more attractive outlets (possibly name them after some of our celebrities)and sell the same thing as they do now grin grin grin (Nigeria funny o) or sell food in basic but decent outlets to the average class. Doing business in Nigeria na wahala cry cry cry grin grin grin
I love this post

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by IdeeEsperanza(m): 5:31pm On Jul 27, 2013
War Horse: The real reason Mr. Biggs fell this bad is little to do with bad customer service. Rather the business they are into was the cause. Many will say Mr. Biggs was into the business of fast-food. For me, capital NO. They were into the business of selling class satisfaction. Why did you ever go to Mr. Biggs to get whatever you eat? My guess? You wanted to please your girl or you wanted to give yourself a treat for a month end pay or your financial level demanded that Mr. Biggs was the place or you wanted to experience eating in a cozy cozy conditioning. Hardly, maybe a few times, did you go there because you wanted food that fast.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Datsme: 5:48pm On Jul 27, 2013
cheleku: Biggs is dead. I went to one recently-the one along Ziks avenue Awka- and I couldn't believe what happened. Nepa took light and the waiters simply turned on their kerosene lamps....omo, as if that wasn't enough, Johnson my mechanic, who happens to have his workshop beside the eatery,came in with his dirty garbs to charge his phone!
I no lie.

light went off... N johnson a mechanic came to charge hs phone. Ok we don here bt remember to clean ur mouth after d contradicting statements.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Datsme: 5:49pm On Jul 27, 2013
I no lie.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Depoyas(m): 6:04pm On Jul 27, 2013
Is just dat dey cant keep with the competition.....aside dat their comodities are too expensive maybe they forgot itz a competitive market, product alternatives yapa like mad.......
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by moshoodn(m): 6:24pm On Jul 27, 2013
Acidosis:

Your mechanic came to charge his phone after power went off?

I thought about that too.

Then on another thought, I realized maybe his mechanic came to pick up his charging phone when power went down.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by barag(f): 6:40pm On Jul 27, 2013
[quote author=cheleku]Biggs is dead. I went to one recently-the one along Ziks avenue Awka- and I couldn't believe what happened. Nepa took light and the waiters simply turned on their kerosene lamps....omo, as if that wasn't enough, Johnson my mechanic, who happens to have his workshop beside the eatery,came in with his dirty garbs to charge his phone!
I no lie.

when there was no light? i gues he had to charge his phone with the kerosene lamps then.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Winneygirl(f): 7:17pm On Jul 27, 2013
FX: No b lie.Chicken Repúblic dey try as pa training their staff.They will rule some day but notin will kill a business fasta now in this lagos like this change issues. Can u imagine I went to Mama Cass to buy their bread n d attendant told me point blank that she cant sell for me because she doesnt have N500 change.
That was d last day I went there. One customer lost for eva.
Same thing happened to me. Since it was rush hour, and the bread is always fresh from d oven, d rush was something else.
I watched d lady sell all remaining 5 loaves to pple who came after me but had change.
I thought of reporting dat attitude to their management, but then I rembered d peanuts d girls earn.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by pixiechic(f): 7:22pm On Jul 27, 2013
[quote author=War Horse]The real reason Mr. Biggs fell this bad is little to do with bad customer service. Rather the business they are into was the cause. Many will say Mr. Biggs was into the business of fast-food. For me, capital NO. They were into the business of selling class satisfaction. Why did you ever go to Mr. Biggs to get whatever you eat? My guess? You wanted to please your girl or you wanted to give yourself a treat for a month end pay or your financial level demanded that Mr. Biggs was the place or you wanted to experience eating in a cozy cozy conditioning. Hardly, maybe a few times, did you go there because you wanted food that fast.[quote author=War Horse]

I second the post above. But I also think its because they lost FOCUS.I remember when i was little mr bigs was where yo u would go for your birthday and you'll be happy that you went somewhere. Their products were mostly limited to jollof rice, pastries and such but no NIGERIAN dishes whatsoever. Then tantalizers came along and they started copying them by extending their product line to include traditional dishes as well. Now i think this is where everything started to fall apart.

I recently came back to Nigeria after 3 years abroad and i went to a mr biggs and decided to buy a traditional dish and it was awful. The food that i bought was cold and i asked why, and they said they didn't have anything to warm it(Not that there was no light!)

Bottom line is that I feel they stretched themselves too thin. Before they served strictly western foods and they did it right!. Then they changed that and now don't have the competency and resources to support their change in strategy. If Mr BIGGS had stuck to what they knew and focused more on the jollof rice and meatpies and such, today they would have carved a niche for themselves for selling their "original" type of foods despite the fierce competition. Think about it like this: I want really good meatpie or jollof rice and chicken I will go to mr biggs, and if i want really good moin moin I'll go to tantalizers or chicken republic.

-My take
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by kayboy4y(m): 7:23pm On Jul 27, 2013
I visited the one in Kano opposite Mal Kato Square, I saw cubwebs in the restaurant. They lack management and cleaniness. Besides, the rate at which their securitymen embarrassed you wt begging is too alarming. Together with the dirty beggers at the entrance. They must sure be deserted!
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Fatduke: 8:41pm On Jul 27, 2013
Its a nice Case to be studied by Business Policy Student(Final Year business Management Student)... I think their major Problem started from their FARANCHISE POLICY and later degenerated to issues of not keeping up with the demands of the society... For example, they never believed in Outdoor services!

1 Like

Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Abuloma80(f): 9:04pm On Jul 27, 2013
Business stages "Introduction, Growth, Maturity, Decline and Death" shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by texaco1: 9:09pm On Jul 27, 2013
Abuloma80: Business stages "Introduction, Growth, Maturity, Decline and Death" shocked shocked shocked
me too i surprise oo,
even Mercedes Benz and Toyota and other companies that have been in existence for many years , why are they not dead yet , even though their original owners are dead
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by gbengaobaye: 9:35pm On Jul 27, 2013
mr biggs is not dead.mr biggs still have the highest numbers of restaurants in nigeria today.They are into franchise and things are getting better.some restaurants are opening in the north.Admit some bad eggs but overall accessment 90%
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by busar(m): 10:29pm On Jul 27, 2013
clue:
Yea, you no lie...johnson ur mechanic came in to charge his phone...with kerosine lamps?
Besides, johnson ur mechanic dey do night work abi?
Na real true u dey talk.
grin grin grin
grin
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Nuzo1(m): 3:41am On Jul 28, 2013
Ola one:
A well-packaged lie!

How sir?
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Olaone1: 4:12am On Jul 28, 2013
Nuzo':

How sir?
Because it is not true, Sir. I mean the Coca Cola story. Ask yourself: are these 2 people immortal? Do these 2 people have emeritus status at Coca Cola? I mean are they employees of Coca Cola for life? They kept the secrets to the recipe 100 years ago and in this 21st century, they are still the custodians of the recipes in question, while still working at Coca Cola?

This is super story jare.
Re: What Happened To MR BIGGS? by Olaone1: 4:12am On Jul 28, 2013
It is just a marketing ploy by Coca Cola guys.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lacasera: Does It Contain Bleaching Chemical ? / Food Section Derailer’s Paradise: All Food Lovers Are Welcome / See The Little Potatoe I Bought For 1K Today (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.