Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate (41892 Views)

EXPLOSIVE!!! Secret 1914 Amalgamation Document Finally EXPOSED (PHOTOS) / Nigeria’s 1914 Amalgamation Has Expired, Says Ijaw Congress / NL Monthly Political Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Katsumoto: 3:49pm On Oct 28, 2012
Dede1:

If I did not know the cradle of the bases of your plank, I should have quit reading at the first epistle you posted as introductory. Believe me, you could have spared us the exigencies of skewed formation of political parties in the amalgamated Nigeria and stress sociopolitical interests of concerned principal players such as British and ethnic nationalists in the protectorate. Nigeria\Biafra civil war, Bakassi and retrogressive nature of Nigeria are foremost examples of the ills brought about by the 1914 amalgamation of the protectorates.

At least, you did me proud.

Thanks
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by ortopazz(m): 3:53pm On Oct 28, 2012
I beg to disagree with All saying that Kats did not provide elaborate facts, I mean they are myriads of facts up there, for any one to take note of. Besides the one that holds dear meaning from my perspective is the statement accredited to Sir Alhaji Tafawa Balewa where he his quoted as saying that ''The southereners are foreigners and are not welcome'' this was made in NOrtheren National Assembly Meeting In 1952 in Kaduna.
Another independence great who of recent his name has found itself in the wrong light, was quoted as saying in 1947 that, “Nigeria is not a nation. It is a mere geographical expression.”he went further, “Nigeria is only a geographical expression to which life was given by the diabolical amalgamation of 1914, that amalgamation will EVER remain the most painful injury a British Government inflicted on Southern Nigeria”.

this statement was made by Awolowo.

This two statements in a country as diverse as Nigeria is enough to prove that it was a mistake, I mean Obi asked us if we were a MISTAKE?, judging by Abubakarz statements apart from being a MISTAKE, you're an ALIEN, because to them(north) you dont even belong to this land.

Aside from that the Northerners are known to follow commands forgive me BLINDLY, i mean that explains why Someone will bomb himself while the son of the person telling him '' O! Just do it, You know Allah will bless you" his abroad, or schooling somewhere,no offence meant, but who knows if that 1952 statement accounts for the secession threats of today and why they(the north) still find it difficult to accept the rest of the country as their brothers.

I mean, Kats did a great job especially for me, for bringing those statements to fore.
Because at the end of the day judging by Awolowo's statement who has suffered the brunt of the ungrafted scion of the north and south, It is simple, the SOUTH. at a time, the people in the south every sunday were hoping their loved ones bodies wont be displayed on the front cover of the newspapers with the caption "BOKO STRIKES YET AGAIN" and titular heads of government screaching to their normal tune of "CondeMNING THE ACT." I mean not advocating for a break, we in the south have had enough!.

The Nigerian situation to me or in the real sense of Social reality is like putting Palestine and Israel together or Iran/Iraq together with The U.S.A . Just imagine such a picture and whilst doing that, you will understand that Nigeria is a mild coma,.

1 Like

Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Feraz(m): 4:06pm On Oct 28, 2012
Another thing I enjoyed in this thread is the fact that there weren't any tribal remarks....once again, I say arigato katsu-san and obinoscopy!! Then again, katsumoto, when did you find time to read all these and become a 'historian?'

1 Like

Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by coogar: 4:23pm On Oct 28, 2012
Katsumoto:

LOL

Judge Coogar, please go and read it all. Don't be lazy. grin

i read everything even before i asked you the first question about what the brits gained from the amalgamation! i read and process facts with the speed of light. however, it was still too long......obinoscopy's piece was more enjoyable to read and he was more persuasive! you won on facts, logic and knowledge!
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by TonySpike: 4:38pm On Oct 28, 2012
Kats and Obinoscopy, I still await your humble responses to my earlier comment. I think I am now running impatient refreshing my browser since morning smiley.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by dayokanu(m): 5:25pm On Oct 28, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Dude you clearly won the debate. Forget the favouritism exhibited here. I saw it coming.

This useless maggot is here again with his cries of marginalisation, favouritism and whatever. Grow a brain

3 Likes

Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Katsumoto: 6:08pm On Oct 28, 2012
Tony Spike: This is an extraordinary debate and I followed it since yesterday when the thread started. It's simply awesome! However, I do have soul-searching comments for Kats, Obinoscopy and all other Nairalanders.
1. Nations are mainly built on principles, core values and cultural (and social) construct of the societies that make up the nation-state. For example, America was founded based on the mutual and collective revolution of the people against the King of England's obscene taxation policy. Today, the core value is mainly centred on equality for all irrespective of who or what you are. This can be seen in the declaration of independence document. Do we have any core value at the onset of the amalgamation of 'Niger-Area'? What were the motives? Did the different ethnic nationalities have similar aspiration(s) back then? Do they still have the same aspirations today?

Let me tell remind us that the name, Nigeria, means different things to different ethnic groups today.

2. Today in Nigeria, some ethnic nationalities are at home with looting government funds, some justify the importation of 'killer' drugs as a sign of commercial adventurism, some see nothing wrong in slashing the throats of people with different religious (and genealogical) affiliation, and, some even go as far as arming rebels (their people) to 'fight' against the government. I could list as many ills in Nigeria which appears as a norm to different ethnic group and taboo to others. Aren't these signs of different core value(s) in the same nation? Isn't this purely an obvious case of amplified cultural mind-set and values at play in our nation?

I need answers to my questions from as many people as possible. Please, let us not feel offended by my frankness, I needed to drive home the point. Thanks all.

1. I believe I covered this in my first submission. There no core values advocated by any groups but each group had its own core values. At the time that the British had formed the protectorates, they were still trying to down resistance in some of the regions. Sokoto wasn't conquered until 1903. There was still resistance in the East. So what common core values could have been advocated by 1914? Many groups abhorred British presence until independence.

2. I don't believe there are any ethniticies who are at ease with looting government funds. I believe this to be individual collectivism. Looters can be found in all ethnic groups. With regards to your comments about core values, I agree wholeheartedly and this is rooted in cultural norms, political structure, and the laws of the land. This is there are no universal laws that applies in ALL countries. Murder is outlawed in ALL countries but the interpretation of what constitutes murder is different in all countries. In Singapore, a married person is allowed to take the life of a partner's lover only IF no weapons are used and immediately upon sighting them. In France, crimes of passion muddles what constitutes murder, while murder is murder in the US.

It was for reasons such as this that I argued that the amalgamation was wrong. Balewa captured it aptly in the speech he gave in 1952. Nigeria's ethnic groups are too different to have been forced into a union. What is normal to an Igbo man may infuriate a Hausa man in Kano. The result is conflict which results in loss of life. The rule of law which should come into play doesn't because ethnic loyalties take over because the policeman who should arrest the Hausaman is also Hausa and supports the Hausa man's actions. This event is exacerbated by the fact that they share the same country. An Ashanti man living in the same area is likely to behave different to the Igbo man because he KNOWS that he is a visitor.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Katsumoto: 6:21pm On Oct 28, 2012
Tony Spike: Kats and Obinoscopy, I still await your humble responses to my earlier comment. I think I am now running impatient refreshing my browser since morning smiley.

Apologies for the delay; I was pre-occupied.

I have responded now.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Jarus(m): 6:25pm On Oct 28, 2012
9jacrip: @Kats: I have a question, a trivial one at that - are you a historian? grin
Don't mind him. He has Johnson's book of history on his head. One day I will ask him to specially lecture my lazy self on the kiriji war cheesy
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by DeepSight(m): 6:31pm On Oct 28, 2012
Great thread, great debate.

The amalgamation was a terrible and heinous mistake. The other large and diverse third world colonies of the Brits - India and Sudan - have both broken up - at the cost of millions of lives in bloodshed in war.

The role of religious and cultural mindsets in each instance should be noted.

Nigeria, after war and innumerable pogroms, is STILL counting the bloodshed.

That sums it all up.

2 Likes

Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 7:47pm On Oct 28, 2012
Tony Spike: Kats and Obinoscopy, I still await your humble responses to my earlier comment. I think I am now running impatient refreshing my browser since morning smiley.

I'm very sorry. I can't respond now with my phone. I'll respond appropriately when I get to my office tomorrow. Cheers
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by TonySpike: 7:59pm On Oct 28, 2012
Thanks for the response, Kats! Obinoscopy, whenever you're ready, it's fine. Thanks.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 28, 2012
Jarus:
Don't mind him. He has Johnson's book of history on his head. One day I will ask him to specially lecture my lazy self on the kiriji war cheesy

LOOL! You did a very good coordination job though smiley
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by nitlad: 9:50pm On Oct 28, 2012
Well done lads

1 Like

Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:06pm On Oct 28, 2012
ortopazz:

even If I cudnt reply I felt that too, the debaters where actually impressive with facts, Katsumo, Obi great jobs homies.

But just Like I will tell anyone interested,America today is not together cause of bunkery of weapons, it is not their size rather they have a developed a national spirit which has made them look beyond the bounds of annexation of other groups, or the different groups that make them up, if Nigeria must go forward we must look inwards and understand that 1914 happened and it happened, I mean together we've acheived what I believe we could nt have achieved if we were independent of ourselves, so we must develop that sense of love and nationalism towards a greater Nation than a Hood for dispirited souls wishing lugard never did what he did.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:07pm On Oct 28, 2012
ortopazz:

even If I cudnt reply I felt that too, the debaters where actually impressive with facts, Katsumo, Obi great jobs homies.

But just Like I will tell anyone interested,America today is not together cause of bunkery of weapons, it is not their size rather they have a developed a national spirit which has made them look beyond the bounds of annexation of other groups, or the different groups that make them up, if Nigeria must go forward we must look inwards and understand that 1914 happened and it happened, [b]I mean together we've acheived what I believe we could nt have achieved if we were independent of ourselves, [/b]so we must develop that sense of love and nationalism towards a greater Nation than a Hood for dispirited souls wishing lugard never did what he did.

I totally agree with the part in bold. We've been able to do more damage, achieve world records for alarming rates of corruption, maternal and infant mortality, wide spread of epidemics and pandemics, countless avoidable loss of lives and properties, wide spread lack of trust, stupidity and senseless policies and lies from leaders, world record of clueless leaders, record for most oil dependent economy, alarming levels of brain drain and decadance of health, education, achieving infamy status of terrorism, the list is endless.

We couldn't have done it without your support and would just want to say thank you!
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by nitlad: 10:52pm On Oct 28, 2012
Followed the debate yesteday, and I've gotta say it was awesome, (kudos to the debaters Obinoscopy and Katsumoto. Top blokes they are). And it was an excellently executed exercise too(give the kudos to Jarus for that). A few things could be done better though.
I thought Obinoscopy came out as the more spontaneous debater in light of his arguments and responses to rebuttals and questions while Katsumoto was well loaded for this (dude sure knows his onions).
Obinoscopy's perfomance is all the more surprising given that his was a side that on the face of it (at least that was my thinking before this debate) you would be hard pressed to find valid points. Yet he gave a masterclass from what presumably should be a doomed corner. Your reference to Somalia was particularly striking!
Kats inspite of your eggheadous perfomance (lol if there is anything like that), I'm not sure you succeeded in undeniably tying any of the problems bedevilling this nation to the 1914 Amalgamation throughout the duration of the debate. I stand to be corrected on this, perhaps I missed it.
I personally believe amalgamating the Northern and Southern Protectorates is/was a historical tragedy, but this debate made me realise that the problems in this country didn't necessarily stem from amalgamation.
All in all, it was an insightfully knowledgeable and exhilaratingly brilliant exercise!

2 Likes

Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 11:11pm On Oct 28, 2012
Dede1:

If I did not know the cradle of the bases of your plank, I should have quit reading at the first epistle you posted as introductory. Believe me, you could have spared us the exigencies of skewed formation of political parties in the amalgamated Nigeria and stress sociopolitical interests of concerned principal players such as British and ethnic nationalists in the protectorate. Nigeria\Biafra civil war, Bakassi and retrogressive nature of Nigeria are foremost examples of the ills brought about by the 1914 amalgamation of the protectorates.

At least, you did me proud.

Oh ok, here we go...obahiagbon of nl. grin yeye esquire angry
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by NegroNtns(m): 11:38pm On Oct 28, 2012
nitlad: Followed the debate yesteday, and I've gotta say it was awesome, (kudos to the debaters Obinoscopy and Katsumoto. Top blokes they are). And it was an excellently executed exercise too(give the kudos to Jarus for that). A few things could be done better though.
I thought Obinoscopy came out as the more spontaneous debater in light of his arguments and responses to rebuttals and questions while Katsumoto was well loaded for this (dude sure knows his onions).
Obinoscopy's perfomance is all the more surprising given that his was a side that on the face of it (at least that was my thinking before this debate) you would be hard pressed to find valid points. Yet he gave a masterclass from what presumably should be a doomed corner. Your reference to Somalia was particularly striking!
Kats inspite of your eggheadous perfomance (lol if there is anything like that), I'm not sure you succeeded in undeniably tying any of the problems bedevilling this nation to the 1914 Amalgamation throughout the duration of the debate. I stand to be corrected on this, perhaps I missed it.
I personally believe amalgamating the Northern and Southern Protectorates is/was a historical tragedy, but this debate made me realise that the problems in this country didn't necessarily stem from amalgamation.
All in all, it was an insightfully knowledgeable and exhilaratingly brilliant exercise!

Obi is yet to associate the human factor with his narratives of brotherhood and progress.

In 1914 certain ethnic groups in Nigeria, Yoruba is a good example, were already far evolved above and beyond the stages of development in East or North and the amalgamation was a retardation on the natural abilities and destiny of their sociocultural evolution.

While certain groups may have been helped into enrichment and evolution by the resulting aggregation if lands and peoples, the opposite is true for theYorubas. Amalgamation promised sovereingty and shared pool or joint ownership. Joint ownership of what, I ask? How can you be promised sovereingty over a land whose ownership has not changed hands?

To those who before amalgamation had never tasted sovereingty or had no social ideals and a robust philosophy and creed for moving their people forward, yes those people today have what they otherwise wihout the aid of the 1914 contract would ever have. Those who had it ended up loosing it and their momentum in the resulting madness and chaos of Nigerian nationhood.

Lets separate the corn from the chaff......the bottom line of SNC rests on that dissatisfaction with the loss of self identity for substitution with joint identity.

1 Like

Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by omoolutl: 12:08am On Oct 29, 2012
really,
i say a big "well done" to Obianoscopy cuz he really was diadvantaged by d motion. Anyone supporting d amalgamation would naturally lack points, bt he stillfound a way to generate points - d somalia thing- kudos to him
katz wz also wonderful d way he arranged his "stuff". nt many pple would av been dis good. respect man u'v earned it.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by SeunAero(m): 5:53am On Oct 29, 2012
Waow!! I am amazed by the intellectual dispositions both debater have shown. Welldone guyz, U have both set a very high benchmark for subsequent debate to come. From me itz a resounding applause *clapping aloud*
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by nitlad: 8:02am On Oct 29, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Obi is yet to associate the human factor with his narratives of brotherhood and progress.

In 1914 certain ethnic groups in Nigeria, Yoruba is a good example, were already far evolved above and beyond the stages of development in East or North and the amalgamation was a retardation on the natural abilities and destiny of their sociocultural evolution.

While certain groups may have been helped into enrichment and evolution by the resulting aggregation if lands and peoples, the opposite is true for theYorubas. Amalgamation promised sovereingty and shared pool or joint ownership. Joint ownership of what, I ask? How can you be promised sovereingty over a land whose ownership has not changed hands?

To those who before amalgamation had never tasted sovereingty or had no social ideals and a robust philosophy and creed for moving their people forward, yes those people today have what they otherwise wihout the aid of the 1914 contract would ever have. Those who had it ended up loosing it and their momentum in the resulting madness and chaos of Nigerian nationhood.

Lets separate the corn from the chaff......the bottom line of SNC rests on that dissatisfaction with the loss of self identity for substitution with joint identity.
All I'm saying about Obi is that, he was stellar even though he chose a part that should have easily eaten him up. Don't take that away from the lad.
While it is true that amalgamation stunted the development of certain groups, like the Yoruba Nation example you gave, I'm not convinced we couldnt have made the best of the situation for the benefit of all.
Negro, do you seriously believe this nation will not work unless we return to pre 1914 status quo? I personally believe we can but I dont think we will.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 9:58am On Oct 29, 2012
nitlad: Followed the debate yesteday, and I've gotta say it was awesome, (kudos to the debaters Obinoscopy and Katsumoto. Top blokes they are). And it was an excellently executed exercise too(give the kudos to Jarus for that). A few things could be done better though.

That was the motive behind my volunteering to argue against the motion that it was a historical mistake. I know it would be difficult to argue against the motion but I chose to do it nevertheless. I did it not to win, after all even if I had won the debate that won't make Nigerians believe me, neither will it make 1914 amalgamation not to be a historical mistake. If you ask me, whether its a historical mistake or not is purely subjective. Its a thing of the mind. We are what we chose to believe.

I know Nigeria is really backward and I know one of the reasons is due to ethnic bigotry and nepotism. However I'm of the view that these ethnic bigotry is masterminded by corrupt leaders whose sole aim is to cling to power either by hook or by crook.

I believe Nigeria can work if we choose to make it work despite our ethnic diversities. If our leaders can give us good governance and enshrine social justice and if tolerance can be preached among Nigerians, Nigeria will be great. We need to be progressives and not retrogressives. The earlier we begin thinking in this direction, the better for all of us.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 11:30am On Oct 29, 2012
Tony Spike: This is an extraordinary debate and I followed it since yesterday when the thread started. It's simply awesome! However, I do have soul-searching comments for Kats, Obinoscopy and all other Nairalanders.
1. Nations are mainly built on principles, core values and cultural (and social) construct of the societies that make up the nation-state. For example, America was founded based on the mutual and collective revolution of the people against the King of England's obscene taxation policy. Today, the core value is mainly centred on equality for all irrespective of who or what you are. This can be seen in the declaration of independence document. Do we have any core value at the onset of the amalgamation of 'Niger-Area'? What were the motives? Did the different ethnic nationalities have similar aspiration(s) back then? Do they still have the same aspirations today?

Let me tell remind us that the name, Nigeria, means different things to different ethnic groups today.

Our core values are discipline, integrity, dignity of labour, social justice, religious tolerance, patriotism and self reliance. These are the core values that would make Nigeria great if they are followed. Nevertheless, I'm aware these core values were developed after we got our independence and they are eroding on a daily bases, the NOA in collaboration with the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS) in Kuru Plateau State on 20th October 2009 presented a book in that regard titled ‘A Survey of Nigerian Core Values.' I suggest you read it.

But back then in the pre-colonial days, the various ethnic groups had similar aspiration which was their independence from colonial imperialism. But after independence, each ethnic group were incited against each other by leaders who wanted power by all means.

Tony Spike: 2. Today in Nigeria, some ethnic nationalities are at home with looting government funds, some justify the importation of 'killer' drugs as a sign of commercial adventurism, some see nothing wrong in slashing the throats of people with different religious (and genealogical) affiliation, and, some even go as far as arming rebels (their people) to 'fight' against the government. I could list as many ills in Nigeria which appears as a norm to different ethnic group and taboo to others. Aren't these signs of different core value(s) in the same nation? Isn't this purely an obvious case of amplified cultural mind-set and values at play in our nation?

I need answers to my questions from as many people as possible. Please, let us not feel offended by my frankness, I needed to drive home the point. Thanks all.
It is wrong to generalise that every member of a particular ethnic group see importation of 'killer drugs,' slashing of throats and arming rebels as a norm. These acts are being perpetrated by deviants from such ethnic groups, it would be wrong to brand such actions as an action sanctioned by the generality of a particular ethnic group. These actions are definately not the core values of those ethnic groups. In fact on the contrary if you observe the core values of the various ethnic groups, you'd see a similarity in them. The similar core values include: hospitality, respect, african values system, family, etc. These are core values that are similar for most african ethnic groups.

Conclusively, no matter how diverse our ethnic and religious groups might seem, there is a level of similarity among them which can be dwelt upon and used to foster unity, tolerance and understanding. I still stand my ground that our amalagamtion in 1914 was not a mistake, but we can choose to make it a mistake if we still dwell on our past instead of fashioning out a way of making our future better.

1 Like

Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by ortopazz(m): 2:06pm On Oct 29, 2012
adewaleafolabi:

I totally agree with the part in bold. We've been able to do more damage, achieve world records for alarming rates of corruption, maternal and infant mortality, wide spread of epidemics and pandemics, countless avoidable loss of lives and properties, wide spread lack of trust, stupidity and senseless policies and lies from leaders, world record of clueless leaders, record for most oil dependent economy, alarming levels of brain drain and decadance of health, education, achieving infamy status of terrorism, the list is endless.

We couldn't have done it without your support and would just want to say thank you!

Well I would not refuse to accept ur thanks because If you Look into the country I used as an ANALOGY, you will see its bad parts too.
My brother if your from the north blame those infrastructural problems on ur past leaders,, they had years to perfect your inadequacies for whatever reason, they Just dint do it.

If East Or West, we cant blame government for everything, I believe that they are rich individuals who spend 15ok on drinks every friday club nite etc, who just love being flamboyant, they too can do better for their brothers, buh they east have merchants who could in my opinion, come together and turn the fortunes of the east around, but they prefer to go under one umbrella to clamour for a president. They West have individuals too.

Now if you're from the south, will I tell u to scream for lack of inadequate welfare, no, I wont, but there is some one up there who does not come from a region where there is just one ethnic group buh plenty, his efforts are being thwarted by our stubborn brothers in the north, so do u blame him?

Well the bottomline is, Yes we've been known for terrible stuffs buh dont we have persons from diff. parts of the country who has brought us recognition, if In doubt check out the person with the highest CPGA in the worjd, though from the West the glory came to a collective people, NiGERIA NT YORUBAZ, if we look past boundaries we can achieve more brother.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 2:16pm On Oct 29, 2012
omoolutl: really,
i say a big "well done" to Obianoscopy cuz he really was diadvantaged by d motion. Anyone supporting d amalgamation would naturally lack points, bt he stillfound a way to generate points - d somalia thing- kudos to him
katz wz also wonderful d way he arranged his "stuff". nt many pple would av been dis good. respect man u'v earned it.

Thanks omooluti smiley
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by Obinoscopy(m): 2:27pm On Oct 29, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

While certain groups may have been helped into enrichment and evolution by the resulting aggregation if lands and peoples, the opposite is true for the Yorubas. Amalgamation promised sovereingty and shared pool or joint ownership. Joint ownership of what, I ask? How can you be promised sovereingty over a land whose ownership has not changed hands?

Some people will disagree with you on the bolded. The Yoruba tribe was not well defined and unified until after independence. The same goes for the Igbos. What we had before the colonial days were empires and villages. There was even a level of homogeneity between the Yorubas, Hausas and the Igbos back then. That explains why even the name 'Yoruba' was coined from the Hausa word 'Yeriba.' Also there are some yoruba speaking communities in the north, the same can be said for the converse.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by damas11111(m): 5:35pm On Oct 29, 2012
This was a wonderful idea and a very educative debate. Though Katsumoto may have gotten the nod as the winner but I'd give it to Obinoscopic for his efforts that even got many thinking (and believing) that the amalgamation may not have been a mistake afterall. I'll say anyone arguing against the topic is always going to be at a disadvantaged position given what many (or most) Nigerians have considered a "mistake" for many years ago. Kudos to the two for a well laid out defence of their position.

2 Likes

Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by nitlad: 7:03pm On Oct 29, 2012
Obinoscopy:

That was the motive behind my volunteering to argue against the motion that it was a historical mistake. I know it would be difficult to argue against the motion but I chose to do it nevertheless. I did it not to win, after all even if I had won the debate that won't make Nigerians believe me, neither will it make 1914 amalgamation not to be a historical mistake. If you ask me, whether its a historical mistake or not is purely subjective. Its a thing of the mind. We are what we chose to believe.

I know Nigeria is really backward and I know one of the reasons is due to ethnic bigotry and nepotism. However I'm of the view that these ethnic bigotry is masterminded by corrupt leaders whose sole aim is to cling to power either by hook or by crook.

I believe Nigeria can work if we choose to make it work despite our ethnic diversities. If our leaders can give us good governance and enshrine social justice and if tolerance can be preached among Nigerians, Nigeria will be great. We need to be progressives and not retrogressives. The earlier we begin thinking in this direction, the better for all of us.
I couldn't more.
I think its safe to say and we can all agree that the biggest problem we have in this country is poor leadership?
I want to go deeper than that. I want to go back to the system that produces these horrible leaders we are yoked with perennially. I want us all to look back into the society; SOCIAL MALADY ; the rotten stench in every strata of our society is beyond words. That is our albatross in this nation.
I dont want to believe that the role of leadership is so cursed that every person that assumes it must be a disaster! Rather the society that keeps churning out generation after generation of these leaders,(these leaders are not alliens they rose to their positions from the same society as we all) who always seem to be hellbent and doing their best to outfox previous administsations in becoming the worst ever should be checked an re-evaluated. That kind of society needs some serious re-engineering. Starting from the family level right up to the highest strata of our socio-political life.

About the bolded, Obi mate, when an overwhelming majority as is the case with amalgamation strongly believes, that is no longer a subjective belief as you put it, that is a fact.
Yes we should never have been brought together; whoever brought up that idea should be shot; we would be better off on our own; some people are reaping where they did not sow; bla bla bla... All these are true, but now that we are in this 'mess' so to say, what do we do? How do we make the best of this precarious situation we find ourselves in? The answer lies in a truly transparent and honest SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE coupled with serious and rigorous SOCIAL RE-ENGINEERING. Only then shall we be able to make headway in solving the problems plaguing OUR LAND and also fully utilize latent potentials.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by dealslip(f): 7:53pm On Oct 29, 2012
Was initially scared †̥o touch this thread for fear that I̶̲̥̅̊t would H̲̣̣̣̥ɑ̤̥̈̊vє̲̣̥ been shredded †̥ pieces by ethnicism but was very impressed with d level of coordination. Obinoscopy and Kats, U̶̲̥̅̊ guys were awesome and brilliant. If this I̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊ d way our youths reason and present their cases. *NG* would be high up there. Very proud of U̶̲̥̅̊ guys.
Re: 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:03pm On Oct 29, 2012
ortopazz:

Well I would not refuse to accept ur thanks because If you Look into the country I used as an ANALOGY, you will see its bad parts too.
My brother if your from the north blame those infrastructural problems on ur past leaders,, they had years to perfect your inadequacies for whatever reason, they Just dint do it.

If East Or West, we cant blame government for everything, I believe that they are rich individuals who spend 15ok on drinks every friday club nite etc, who just love being flamboyant, they too can do better for their brothers, buh they east have merchants who could in my opinion, come together and turn the fortunes of the east around, but they prefer to go under one umbrella to clamour for a president. They West have individuals too.

Now if you're from the south, will I tell u to scream for lack of inadequate welfare, no, I wont, but there is some one up there who does not come from a region where there is just one ethnic group buh plenty, his efforts are being thwarted by our stubborn brothers in the north, so do u blame him?

Well the bottomline is, Yes we've been known for terrible stuffs buh dont we have persons from diff. parts of the country who has brought us recognition, if In doubt check out the person with the highest CPGA in the worjd, though from the West the glory came to a collective people, NiGERIA NT YORUBAZ, if we look past boundaries we can achieve more brother.

Look past the boundaries? I deal with facts and figures not emotions and false hopes. Yeah we have Nigerians that have one point or the other done great things, but also on a much more regular basis, we have Nigerians (especially Political Office holders) giving new heights to already alarming levels of corruption. The facts speak for themselves. These achievements doesn't even factor out 10% of the negatives associated with Nigeria and Nigerians as well.

You seem to have missed the point i tried raising, see the weight of damage we as a Country together carry can't be compared to what individual components would have done. Why? Not all parts of the country has access to Oil and therefore they'd have to come up with ways to survive, you can't compare the weight of looting that occurs due to oil to looting of other forms of scarce resource like agriculture that have longer gestation periods.
And don't forget the Multiplier effect

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Buhari Explains Why He Stops Attending Juma’at Service At National Mosque / PDP National Leaders Storm INEC, Seek Stoppage Of Results Replacement / Dino Melaye Pictured Eating Amala And Ewedu At ABU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.