Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster (21805 Views)

Rivers Panel Of Inquiry Indicts Former Governor Amaechi, Others / What Governor Amaechi Wore To A Campaign Rally Today / Four Kogi Farmers Commit Suicide Over Flood Disaster (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by ibrokay(m): 6:41am On Oct 26, 2012
Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State has acquired a brand new Bombardier Global 5000 (N565RS) for his exclusive use, SaharaReporters has learnt.

Mr. Amaechi’s lavish new “toy” comes at a time hundreds of thousands of residents in his state are displaced by the worst flooding crisis in the state’s history.

The newly purchased jet left Montreal-Trudeau Airport in Montreal, Quebec to Dakar Yoff International Airport. And then it was delivered to the state government on October 7th 2012.

The jet was primarily purchased from Bombardier in Canada for $45.7 million through the Bank of Utah Trustee account. “This is an ungodly act,” said a Port Harcourt-based human rights campaigner. “Why should Governor Amaechi’s priority be to acquire a jet at a time the state is experiencing the worst flooding in its history, leaving many Rivers indigenes homeless?” he added.

Last year Mr. Amaechi traded off the state’s current Embraer Legacy 600 claiming it was too expensive to maintain. There were also unconfirmed claims that the jet was struck by lightning.

The oil-rich Rivers State already owns an AW139 helicopter which it leased to Aero Contractors. The state then turned around to patronize Aero’s VIP Sikorsky S76C helicopter at a cost one critic described as “exorbitant and unjustified.”

Last year, the state government sold its Dash 8-Q200 aircraft to Cross River State for $6 million. Cross River State then leased the plane to Aero Contractors to undertake commercial flights to and from Obudu airstrip in the state.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/governor-amaechi-buys-50-million-bombardier-jet-amid-state%E2%80%99s-flood-disaster

1 Like

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by ibrokay(m): 6:45am On Oct 26, 2012
Amaechi's second term is just a scam. I went to PHC last month and i couldn't find any improvement, The roads are in bad shape and you can hardly point to any good drianage in the town.

1 Like

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Egbagirl(f): 7:37am On Oct 26, 2012
If this is true, then I say this is great news!!! He needs to buy more and compete with the G.Os of the big churches. I mean the jet looks really nice and I bet he couldn't resist!!! It doesnt really matter that hundreds of people are displaced and confused. Infact, he has done very well.

9 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by ibrokay(m): 7:46am On Oct 26, 2012
^^^ Corruption everywhere. He need one more to compete with the likes of Bishop Oyedepo. We need revolution in Nigeria. Enough is enough.

6 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Rooneyboy(m): 7:51am On Oct 26, 2012
How insensitive these politicians could be at times beats me real hard.

Even @ desperate times like this when the people they govern are in dare need of them as their only "messiah" .

And tomorrow when he crashes in this his new acquired baby some Nigerians would expect me to cry for him.

OVER MY DEAD BODY.

7 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by zeal500: 7:56am On Oct 26, 2012
You simply need to checkout Port-harcourt roads and bear the testimony that smthin is definitely wrong wt our leaders
flood or no flood b4 u buy such luxury u shd expend on the populace but here who cares........ "the citizens can go to hell".....
After all he rides in a military driven motor cade. 'who dare come close'
Rivers State n developmnt sound nice on Ait via d prog Giant strides....laughing in latin
d Rivers state Governor have simply disappointd so many who had voted for him.
And to think dt when he started he claimed the state does not need dis n dt but wt dis i think d state now needs the 50million dollar craft

2 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Rooneyboy(m): 7:57am On Oct 26, 2012
ibrokay: Amaechi's second term is just a scam. I went to PHC last month and i couldn't find any improvement, The roads are in bad shape and you can hardly point to any good drianage in the town.

The state is in complete shambles my sister.

Prior to my visit, when ever I heard PH I used to think it was a very beautiful city, but on my arrival I was so disappointed.

Bad roads ,
Stayed there for about two weeks and saw light for about 45 minutes.

Really, I DEY SHAME FOR MY COUNTRY.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by ibrokay(m): 8:10am On Oct 26, 2012
Rooneyboy:

Prior to my visit, when ever I heard PH I used to think it was a very beautiful city, but on my arrival I was so disappointed.

Bad roads ,

I was highly dissapointed when i saw the state of there roads.He did well in his first term; built schools and dualized some major roads.
This is the more reason why i dont support re-electing them for 2nd term.

3 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Nobody: 8:19am On Oct 26, 2012
So much promise, so little attained.
It was only a question of time, I suppose, before Amaechi lived out his true calling as another avaricious Nigerian politician.
Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 26, 2012
$50 million plane and my town is covered with water and they are camped like refugees,with there aids being diverted by our leaders for there selfish gain,God help us
Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Super1759: 8:46am On Oct 26, 2012
number of jets now increased. Very soon jets will be like blackberry among the rich in naija

5 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by hardywaltz(m): 8:54am On Oct 26, 2012
Ogbiaboy: $50 million plane and my town is covered with water and they are camped like refugees,with there aids being diverted by our leaders for there selfish gain,God help us
I tot Ogbia was in Bayelsa State not Rivers

1 Like

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:01am On Oct 26, 2012
Wisdom is lacking by those in authority in Portharcourt, they need lecture from Akwa ibom Godswill Akpabio.

8 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:10am On Oct 26, 2012
When pain get into your bone marrow all you have to do is just smile to make a dark day seems brigther.

I can't help but laugh at our current leaders.

1 Like

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 26, 2012
Mr Governor, may your newly-acquired plane not crash like that of Danbaba Suntai, Amen.
Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Rooneyboy(m): 9:30am On Oct 26, 2012
Super1759: number of jets now increased. Very soon jets will be like blackberry among the rich in naija

Before nko ?

The roads are to be used by only the poor,
The sky by only the rich.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:38am On Oct 26, 2012
Rooneyboy:

Before nko ?

Sky for the rich........ I guess it bring them closer to God and that's why they are getting richer.

4 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:44am On Oct 26, 2012
ibrokay:

I was highly dissapointed when i saw the state of there roads.He did well in his first term; built schools and dualized some major roads.
This is the more reason why i dont support re-electing them for 2nd term.

^^^On the bolded: you do have a point, but then that would mean they wouldn't have any reason to perform in their first term to win over the electorate; but rather from day one, would hit the ground running......plundering, raiding and feathering their nests like the pirates they really are.

1 Like

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 26, 2012
Rooneyboy:

Bad roads ,

there are no roads in that town. i was there on tuesday and thursday - driving was an absolute nightmare
Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Rooneyboy(m): 10:20am On Oct 26, 2012
oyb:

there are no roads in that town. i was there on tuesday and thursday - driving was an absolute nightmare

the state just has fine name for nothing.

1 Like

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 26, 2012
hardywaltz:
I tot Ogbia was in Bayelsa State not Rivers
yea ogbia town is in b.y but I'm 4rm rivas my people also speak ogbia here
Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Super1759: 11:16am On Oct 26, 2012
Rooneyboy:

Before nko ?

and when they crash with their jet. The whole nation will standstill and mourn them, but when. A car accident occurs,its like killing a mosquito. No one cares

3 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by RickyRoss1(m): 11:38am On Oct 26, 2012
I am not supporting the extravagant lifestyle of our governors, but the way some fools are trash talking Rivers State is alarming. Can you all mention the names of your respective states so we can compare with Rivers State? Outside of Lagos State, which other Nigerian city is as developed as Port Harcourt? Someone said he spent 2 weeks in Rivers state and enjoyed only few hours of electricity? Which village is that? Thats what you get when you live in the ghetto... My own part of PHC i have standard road networks and we enjoy minimum 18 hours of power daily, sometimes the electricity lasts 3 days non stop...

I live in PHC, but someone comes from outside the state, spends 2 weeks in Port Harcourt and automatically he now knows PHC more than everyone else.

I must admit, Amaechi did wonders during his first term, and he is very slow now, but he is far ahead of most of your state governors hands down. What Amaechi achieved in the educational sector no other state governor can achieve in 8 years. Primary and secondary schools in River state are far more advanced and more equipped than many of your state universities, this is no joke. All over Rivers state, he built state of the art health centers.

If you are wondering what Amaechi is doing now, then take a trip to the GREATER PORT HARCOURT CITY. Thats where I built my house and that's where all the mega projects are going on. The World class hospital, world class roads, the best stadium in Nigeria, the Rivers state university of science and technology etc are at advanced stages of construction. There are too numerous projects in the GPHC to mention here. You either pay a visit to confirm, or you Google it.

Rivers state does not need this private jet, I am not from Rivers, I am not singing anyone praises, but I say things the way they are. From the way people are talking shiit here a stranger will assume PHC is a kinda shit hole. They should start by telling us what their own state governors have done better than Amechi. Akpabio should build the kind of world class schools in rivers bc that is what the poor masses need, not some Tropicana resorts and 5 star hotels that are for the rich only.

6 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by otokx(m): 12:48pm On Oct 26, 2012
Mr Ricky Ross, my area of Port Harcourt has not had any light since 4pm yesterday, not even a blink, the road in front of my house is a disaster to say the very least notwithstanding the last 2 days of intense sunshine, the rivers on the roads are practically intact. The greater Port Harcourt you talk of may turn out to be the very nemesis of AMAECHI, apart from the uncompleted stadium and uncompleted access roads there is not much to show for it. Which secondary and primary schools are you talking of? Oh yes he completed some schools, renovated them with micro basket ball courts but ever since they have been largely under lock and key. Did you stop to ask what or where the students of those schools would be now. Oh yes again he claims he wants to give them to Indians to run so until then the students should be at home shey.

A lot of Nigerians are ok with mediocrity and for them 15% would be a solid pass, that is why we are in the mess we are. Mr Ricky Ross did you hear of the people that died in the camps opened for flooded victims. They died of sickness that could have been prevented.

Did you say world class university? RSUST has been closed for a very long time - probably the longest for any university in Nigeria in the last 2 years till the point other universities have to go on sympathy strike to tell the world the evil going on there where AMAECHI is hell bent on imposing his own VC on the people. Which world class hospital are you talking about? The last i checked the best hospital still remains the federal owned University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital so which one are you referring to or is it the renovated dental clinic on Aba road?

24 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Thok(m): 1:05pm On Oct 26, 2012
hhhmm.. na wah oooo
Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by GARRIx7(m): 1:07pm On Oct 26, 2012
Thieving Bastartd!!!
cool cool
Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by chrisxxx(m): 1:08pm On Oct 26, 2012
The handiwork of detractors. Amaechi may buy a jet but not to the tone of the amount mentioned. Secondly it is not his private jet it is still an asset after his exit.
Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Rooneyboy(m): 1:12pm On Oct 26, 2012
Ricky_Ross: I am not supporting the extravagant lifestyle of our governors, but the way some fools are trash talking Rivers State is alarming. Can you all mention the names of your respective states so we can compare with Rivers State? Outside of Lagos State, which other Nigerian city is as developed as Port Harcourt? Someone said he spent 2 weeks in Rivers state and enjoyed only few hours of electricity? Which village is that? Thats what you get when you live in the ghetto... My own part of PHC i have standard road networks and we enjoy minimum 18 hours of power daily, sometimes the electricity lasts 3 days non stop...

I live in PHC, but someone comes from outside the state, spends 2 weeks in Port Harcourt and automatically he now knows PHC more than everyone else.

I must admit, Amaechi did wonders during his first term, and he is very slow now, but he is far ahead of most of your state governors hands down. What Amaechi achieved in the educational sector no other state governor can achieve in 8 years. Primary and secondary schools in River state are far more advanced and more equipped than many of your state universities, this is no joke. All over Rivers state, he built state of the art health centers.

If you are wondering what Amaechi is doing now, then take a trip to the GREATER PORT HARCOURT CITY. Thats where I built my house and that's where all the mega projects are going on. The World class hospital, world class roads, the best stadium in Nigeria, the Rivers state university of science and technology etc are at advanced stages of construction. There are too numerous projects in the GPHC to mention here. You either pay a visit to confirm, or you Google it.

Rivers state does not need this private jet, I am not from Rivers, I am not singing anyone praises, but I say things the way they are. From the way people are talking shiit here a stranger will assume PHC is a kinda shit hole. They should start by telling us what their own state governors have done better than Amechi. Akpabio should build the kind of world class schools in rivers bc that is what the poor masses need, not some Tropicana resorts and 5 star hotels that are for the rich only.

u this fella , with this particular comment I have no iota of doubt that indeed u've got some mental challenges.

This is what kills we Nigerians, how on earth would u tell me u reside in rivers state and u don't see all the anomaly ?
How

In as much as I wouldn't want to sing praises for any state governor ;my brother u really should visit akwa ibom .

Infact ,so as to shame u and ur governor more I would prefer u visit a non oil producing state that receives peanuts for monthly allocation ,

Say ENUGU, go and come back with ur appraisal report.

Lastly I do not blame u, something tells me u've not left rivers state all ur life.
If u have u wouldn't be spewing this crap.

12 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 26, 2012
Ricky_Ross: I am not supporting the extravagant lifestyle of our governors, but the way some fools are trash talking Rivers State is alarming. Can you all mention the names of your respective states so we can compare with Rivers State? Outside of Lagos State, which other Nigerian city is as developed as Port Harcourt? Someone said he spent 2 weeks in Rivers state and enjoyed only few hours of electricity? Which village is that? Thats what you get when you live in the ghetto... My own part of PHC i have standard road networks and we enjoy minimum 18 hours of power daily, sometimes the electricity lasts 3 days non stop...

sharaaaaaaap!!! Mr man, sip alomo and oga b*h, if u ar standing, sit down, if u ar siting down, lie down and if u ar lying down sleep and if u are sleeping die and if possible go to hell instead of talking rubbish

16 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 26, 2012
I wonder when students will protest such moves. During flood where people are dying,he's buying a jet. The only time our student(future leaders) protest is when the school name is changed cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by RickyRoss1(m): 1:20pm On Oct 26, 2012
Rooneyboy:

u this fella , with this particular comment I have no iota of doubt that indeed u've got some mental challenges.

This is what kills we Nigerians, how on earth would u tell me u reside in rivers state and u don't see all the anomaly ?
How

In as much as I wouldn't want to sing praises for any state governor ;my brother u really should visit akwa ibom .

Infact ,so as to shame u and ur governor more I would prefer u visit a non oil producing state that receives peanuts for monthly allocation ,

Say ENUGU, go and come back with ur appraisal report.

Lastly I do not blame u, something tells me u've not left rivers state all ur life.
If u have u wouldn't be spewing this crap.

Pray you will be opportune to travel as much as I do. Enugu people are crying like Rivers people. I have been in and out of Enugu. I hardly spend weekends in PHC bc there are no tourists facilities. Enugu governor did well in his second term, just like Amechi, we all know he is sleeping like Amaechi and the rest. I have no time to waste on animals like you. You are not worth my 2 seconds.
Re: Governor Amaechi Buys $50 Million Bombardier Jet, Amid State’s Flood Disaster by omiobo: 1:21pm On Oct 26, 2012
Very soon we go dey see traffic on air.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wike And Ifeanyi Okowa Inspect Ongoing Construction In Asaba (Photos) / Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos and Memories). / White Money Meets Ugwuanyi, Becomes “Ambassador Of Enugu State In Creative Arts”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.