Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,769 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:18 PM

My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation - Crime (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation (41467 Views)

My Robbery Experience At Diamond Bank Today / Ogun Police Arrests Cultists For Armed Robbery, Recovers 10 Cars (photo) / Lagos-Ibadan Express Way: Robbery Experience TODAY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by mekaboy(m): 11:35pm On Nov 01, 2012
MY PROBLEM IS THAT THE PERSON SHARING THE STORY HERE ON NAIRALAND, IS NOT THE REAL VICTIM .AND HOW DID YOU WAIT FOR 2 AND HALF MONTHS TO TELL THIS STORY? WAS YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION OFF SINCE THEN? OR ARE YOU NEW TO NAIRALAND ?
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by vivalicious: 11:56pm On Nov 01, 2012
^^^^
Probably one of the robbers. Are you angry that you've been exposed?

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by gtrust: 12:06am On Nov 02, 2012
I think I have discovered the solution to this Nigerian arm-robbery wahala!!
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Hoodrat(m): 12:13am On Nov 02, 2012
Is this the same lagos where the government encourage the populace on the use of bicycle? Not until the insecurity issue are tackled and CCTV camera are erected on every nukes and cranes I won't support the ideas because is absolutely nonesense in a country where there's no electricity and security. It is really sad how bad some nigerians can be which remind me of the robbery incident at okene-abuja road where our luxury driver was killed by the aggressive armed robbers for he refused to stop and we were then flogged with koboko after robbing us of our belonging all we had on us.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by SisiKill1: 12:45am On Nov 02, 2012
Lmao! This topic is bringing out all sorts....so people who drive 4 by 4s, live in VI and have friends in Lekki can't have problems.

Ya learn sum'n new everyday I tells ya. cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by cap28: 1:09am On Nov 02, 2012
this story is fake to the core

2 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by infolpf: 1:14am On Nov 02, 2012
Hoodrat: Is this the same lagos where the government encourage the populace on the use of bicycle? Well until the insecurity issue are tackled and CCTV camera are erected on every nukes and craney I won't support the ideas because is absolutely nonesense in a country where there's no electricity and security. It is really sad how bad some nigerians can be which remind me of the robbery incident at okene-abuja road where our luxury driver was shut by the aggressive armed robbers and we were all flogged with koboko after taken away all we had on us.

There are no "nukes and craneys" in Lagos, Sir. wink

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by taharqa: 1:18am On Nov 02, 2012
I do not want to comment on this thread deeply cos of its very sensitive nature (ie so I dont come as insensitive in my analysis) but just to say: I do not believe ANY story or report written by a Nigerian or in Nigeria (whether in a 'newspaper' Or other medium) without some form of verification. Am sorry but that is how the today's 'media' have forced me to so do; call it an adaptive behavior, you may not be too far off.

Anyways, I wish God's grace on the person who experienced this or those persons in Nigeria (and anywhere in the world) who experience something like this. I've got the say that the experience described by the @OP is an harrowing one.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by mekaboy(m): 1:23am On Nov 02, 2012
Deep Sight: About two and a half months ago, I went out for a friend's birthday dinner somewhere in Ikoyi. It was a pleasant evening and we chatted late into the night, eventually leaving Ikoyi at about midnight. As my friend didn't drive, I was going to drop her off at home along the Lekki axis and then return to Victoria Island where I live. The road being good, open and well lit, I had no concerns whatsoever about any security problems. I have hardly heard of any security problems on that road anyway, and being a chronic lover of the night, I am more than used to driving in the dark.

In just about ten minutes or so we had arrived at the estate where my friend was residing. [b]It's a gated estate and they have these OPC guys guarding [/b]the estate. I thus was not surprised, when, after honking, an armed man came out of the gate. I put on the car's inner lights and wound down and explained to him that I was just dropping my friend off and would be right back. He said ok, and opened the gate. From that point it took me just about five minutes to drop off my friend and get back to the estate gate.

When I got to the gate, the same man who had let us in stood in front of my car pointing his gun straight at me. At this point, I still did not think there was anything amiss. I simply thought he was an over zealous OPC security guard. I put on the inner lights again and mouthed that I just came in to drop someone, and would be leaving now.

He simply shouted at me - "Will you come down now or I blast your head off!"

It was only at that point that I looked around the car and to my shock, there were about ten heavily armed men surrounding the car, all with raised automatic rifles pointing at me. Two of them were now banging the windows saying that if I move an inch they would shoot into the car.

To be honest, i didn't budge at first. I just sat there contemplating my options. My car is a very large 4 x 4 and I was seriously contemplating stepping on it and blasting them right out of my way and right through the gate. I have in the past been attacked by armed robbers and on each occasion I shocked the robbers with some serious James Bond Driving and got away clean.
However something just told me (and I thank God I did not try it, as later events showed) to just play it cool and do as they said. So I came down from the car.

As soon as I came out, they attacked me with the butts of their guns and bundled me into the boot. They then reversed the car and parked it in a corner. At this point I could see them mulling about the first house in the estate. Then they produced a very large iron hammer (someone later told me its called an "Adam's Hammer", I don't know, but it was the largest hammer I have ever seen in my life. It took two of them to hold it.) With the hammer they blasted open the gate and told the security men to lie down on the floor. Then they brought me out of the back of the car.

My friends, this was how these guys took me at gun point on a three hour robbing, killing and ra.ping spree, never letting me out of their sights and holding me at gun point into each of the houses they broke into.

In the first house, after robbing the house, they shot dead one of the security men, for reasons I don't know.

Thereafter, I was bundled into the back of my car and all ten of these guys somehow crammed into the car. About three of them were bundled in the back sitting right on my head, about four in the rear seat and three in front. They sped out of the estate gate and from that point all the way to the lekki expressway, put their guns out of the windows and began shooting indiscriminately into the air. It was the loudest and most present show of gun fire I have ever experienced in my life, simply harrowing. At the same time I thought to myself that it would be ok if they just shot me: I have not had the best of years this year, and being put out of misery was not altogether the worst thing I could think off. So with this flurry of gunfire, I strangely became calmer and sort of resigned to whatever would happen.

They drove for a while and entered another neighborhood. Same thing again - they parked outside a house - a very large and well fortified house. Jumped out, bringing me along at gun point. I kept begging them to take things easy, to relax and not to kill me. I was asked to shut up or be shot. I was amazed at the ease with which they broke into the house. Again the hammer. One slam and the gate flew open. They took the hammer inside and to my shock, just three giant slams and the window beside the frontdoor was thrashed, buglar-proofing, wall and all. Inside the house they broke down all the doors in the same way, robbed three expats in there, beat them quite a bit, and then took their car keys. [i[b]]They then drove the expats car out and parked beside my own and then attacked the next building. In this instance one of them simply climbed the wall and pointed a gun to the guard there and asked him to open the gate.[/b][/i] Again they took me at gun point, this time with the security men from the first building and the present building, they marched us all in at gun point.

By this time very loud alarms had gone off from this house and neighboring houses and I was surprised that they seemed unperturbed. They took the hammer again, two big slams and the sliding door (and buglar proofing) gave way with a deafening crash and they entered the house. I was asked to lie down on the floor with the security men while they robbed the house. There was only one young girl in the house, she shouted that she had 200k on her, and gave it to them. They then took her into a room and ra.ped her, as she told us after the whole thing was over.

It was while they where doing this in the room that all of a sudden they rushed out and began to seem agitated. They paced around the living room sounding agitated. Apparently the alarms had attracted the neighborhood security guards who came in a while pick up van. It had blinking lights on it and as such they probably thought it was the police.

They all rushed out at once and you would not believe the gun fire that ensued. It was lengthy, horrible and deafening and we just lay on the floor praying for our lives. At some point I heard them speaking Yoruba saying that they must not forget that boy with the Land Cruiser o, make sure you bring him. I just stayed on the floor. Then there was silence.

After about five minutes of silence we all crept out of the house, the girl came out as well and told me that she had been ra.ped and that she and her fiance just rented the place that weekend in preparation for their wedding, and he only travelled to PH on business.

We went to the gate of the house and right there on the floor were two dead bodies. They had shot the security men dead and their pick up was riddled with bullets.

At that point neighbours began to come out and apparently the police were on their way.

The robbers encountered the police in their escape and outgunned them, killing a police officer instantly in the process. That brought the death toll to four.

Sometime later, the police arrived as though they were going for a war. Tanks, Armoured Personnel Carriers, more than a 100 policemen. Too much, too late.

Later that morning, my car was found abandoned on the mainland, around Itire / Oshodi. I had used the neighbor's phones to call my family as soon as the robbers left: to my warm delight every single member of my family arrived the scene before five a.m, though they live very far away.

Now, my friends, I come to the reason I posted this story and you will find this quite shocking.

1. For all the huge numbers the police came with, there was ABSOLUTELY ZERO crime scene investigation. Those guys must have left loads of evidence and pointers in their reckless operation and the police just went inside, picked up a bag on the floor belonging to the lady I think, and some bullet shells on the floor. Within two minutes, their crime scene investigation was over.

2. My car, when found abandoned, was towed to a close-by Police Station. I went there that same morning to look at it. It was riddled with bullets as the robbers had engaged the police. Other than this, and the fact that they made away with the remote keys, there was nothing wrong with the car.

Would you believe that by the time I returned two days later to tow the car away - right there in Police Custody, the car had been vandalized, and the brain box and all electronics removed? ? ? The Police said they know nothing about it. Not only this - they then insisted on being given "something" before releasing that car. They said that otherwise, the car will be retained as "evidence". . . or that there is a procedure, etc etc. People, can you believe this? ? ? ?

Now tell, me, if this is the same Police force that is addressing bigger issues like Boko Haram and others, what hope for security do we have in this country, save the grace of God?

What serious change can anyone expect from the Nigerian Police within, say the next fifty years even ? ? ? ?

This is the same way that we cannot expect serious change with Nepa or is it called PHCN. This is the way we cannot expect serious change with corruption. Because overall, both the government and the people lack the political will and thirst for change.

Someone once told me that all that Nigeria needs is for everyone to do the right thing. That, with respect, is a fantasy, and happens no where. What Nigeria needs is a vigorous, people led, determined and sustained revolution with a clear vision defined by strong revolutionary leaders. This needn't be violent: but must be sustained in terms of protest. And that change must start with a Sovereign National Conference. The National Assembly can't do it because they are an interested party: you don't expect them to place sensible legislation which would jeopardize their current millions, do you?

Nigerians have become so used to misgovernance that we now have a twisted worldview which does not recognize "protestable" issues. We accept all the daily nonsense and impunity and simply go home, look for petrol or diesel, fill the gen, and have a good night's rest. Nothing else matters.

But in the Arab world, one man setting himself on fire in frustration led to the Arab Spring.

Maybe I need to set myself on fire.

[b]A LOT OF QUESTIONS DEY THIS STORY ABEG.

THE 10 ARMED ROBBERS CAME TO YOUR FRIENDS ESTATE WITHOUT A CAR? OVER POWERED THE OPC SECURITY MEN AT THE GATE OF THE ESTATE, WITHOUT ANY NOISE? WAITED FOR YOU TO DROP YOUR GF AND COME BACK?

I THOUGHT IF THEY CAME TO ROB THE ESTATE, YOU AND YOUR GF WOULD HAVE BEEN THE FIRST TO LEAD THEM IN.

THE WAY YOU NARATED THE STORY, IT SEEMS LIKE YOU WERE STANDING FACE TO FACE WITH THEM AS THEY WERE ROBBING, AND I KNOW ARMED ROBBERS DONT LIKE PEOPLE STANDING FACE TO FACE WITH THEM.

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THEY TOOK THE CAR KEYS FROM THE EXPAT AND PARKED CLOSE TO YOURS? AND YOU WATCHED ONE OF THEM CLIMB THE FENCE AND POINT A GUN AT THE GATE MAN IN THE NEXT COMPOUND AND ASKED HIM TO OPEN THE GATE.?

FOR YOU TO HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GATHER THIS MUCH DETAIL ABOUT THE INCIDENT, IT MEANS YOU WERE STANDING AND WATCHING WHILE THE PERFORMED FOR YOU. ANYBODY WHO HAS BEEN A REAL VICTIM OF ARMED ROBBERY, WILL TELL YOU THAT THE LAST THING ROBBERS WILL WANT TO DO IS HAVE YOU STAND FACE TO FACE WITH THEM.

SO I WONDER HOW YOU MANAGED TO WATCH THEM CLIMB FENCE, BREAK WALL, COLLECT CAR KEY, GO AND PARK NEXT TO YOURS ETC. YOU FOR TELL US SAY THEM GIVE YOU KEY MAKE YOU GO DRIVE THE CAR PARK SINCE YOU WERE ONE OF THEM.

OP ABEG, I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT THIS STORY ACTUALLY HAPPENED, BUT WHAT I AM SURE OF IS THAT IT DID NOT HAPPEN TO YOU. YOU GATHERED SO MUCH INFORMATION ABOUT THIS ROBBERY, THAT I AM BEGINNING TO WONDER IF YOU WERE STANDING UP OR LYING DOWN TO WATCH ALL THIS HAPPEN.

BEFORE I FORGET, YOU SAID YOU ALWAYS ENCOUNTER ARMED ROBBERS, AND IN EACH OCCASION, YOU CONFUSE THEM WITH YOUR JAMES BOND DRIVING MOVES , SO YOU MEET THEM OFTEN ABI?

AND IF IT REALLY HAPPENED TO YOU, A NORMAL NL PERSON WILL TELL THE STORY THAT WEEK, WHY WAIT TILL 2 AND HALF MONTHS? WELL I THANK GOD FOR THE LIFE OF THE PERSON THAT TOLD YOU THIS STORY YOU ARE TELLING US.[/b]

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by obowunmi(m): 1:30am On Nov 02, 2012
And why weren't you arrested? Didn't you come with the robbers? I'm quite shocked you weren't accused of being part of them.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by mekaboy(m): 1:40am On Nov 02, 2012
obowunmi: And why weren't you arrested? Didn't you come with the robbers? I'm quite shocked you weren't accused of being part of them.
IM EVEN SUPRISED, SINCE THE ROBBERS ALLOWED HIM TO STAND UP AND COVER THE WHOLE EVENT, MAYBE HE TOLD THE ROBBERS HE WORKED WITH CNN OR BBC AND HE WAS WORKING ON A DOCUMENTARY OF ARMED ROBBERY IN NIGERIA. SO THEY ALLOWED HIM TO COVER THE EVENT AND ADD TO HIS STORY.

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Zaynee63: 1:44am On Nov 02, 2012
mekaboy:

THE 10 ARMED ROBBERS CAME TO YOUR FRIENDS ESTATE WITHOUT A CAR? OVER POWERED THE OPC SECURITY MEN AT THE GATE OF THE ESTATE, WITHOUT ANY NOISE? WAITED FOR YOU TO DROP YOUR GF AND COME BACK?

I THOUGHT IF THEY CAME TO ROB THE ESTATE, YOU AND YOUR GF WOULD HAVE BEEN THE FIRST TO LEAD THEM IN.

THE WAY YOU NARATED THE STORY, IT SEEMS LIKE YOU WERE STANDING FACE TO FACE WITH THEM AS THEY WERE ROBBING, AND I KNOW ARMED ROBBERS DONT LIKE PEOPLE STANDING FACE TO FACE WITH THEM.

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THEY TOOK THE CAR KEYS FROM THE EXPAT AND PARKED CLOSE TO YOURS? AND YOU WATCHED ONE OF THEM CLIMB THE FENCE AND POINT A GUN AT THE GATE MAN IN THE NEXT COMPOUND AND ASKED HIM TO OPEN THE GATE.?

FOR YOU TO HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GATHER THIS MUCH DETAIL ABOUT THE INCIDENT, IT MEANS YOU WERE STANDING AND WATCHING WHILE THE PERFORMED FOR YOU. ANYBODY WHO HAS BEEN A REAL VICTIM OF ARMED ROBBERY, WILL TELL YOU THAT THE LAST THING ROBBERS WILL WANT TO DO IS HAVE YOU STAND FACE TO FACE WITH THEM.

SO I WONDER HOW YOU MANAGED TO WATCH THEM CLIMB FENCE, BREAK WALL, COLLECT CAR KEY, GO AND PARK NEXT TO YOURS ETC. YOU FOR TELL US SAY THEM GIVE YOU KEY MAKE YOU GO DRIVE THE CAR PARK SINCE YOU WERE ONE OF THEM.

OP ABEG, I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT THIS STORY ACTUALLY HAPPENED, BUT WHAT I AM SURE OF IS THAT IT DID NOT HAPPEN TO YOU. YOU GATHERED SO MUCH INFORMATION ABOUT THIS ROBBERY, THAT I AM BEGINNING TO WONDER IF YOU WERE STANDING UP OR LYING DOWN TO WATCH ALL THIS HAPPEN.

BEFORE I FORGET, YOU SAID YOU ALWAYS ENCOUNTER ARMED ROBBERS, AND IN EACH OCCASION, YOU CONFUSE THEM WITH YOUR JAMES BOND DRIVING MOVES , SO YOU MEET THEM OFTEN ABI?

AND IF IT REALLY HAPPENED TO YOU, A NORMAL NL PERSON WILL TELL THE STORY THAT WEEK, WHY WAIT TILL 2 AND HALF MONTHS? WELL I THANK GOD FOR THE LIFE OF THE PERSON THAT TOLD YOU THIS STORY YOU ARE TELLING US.[/b]

Sorry to say but I think you are an as*hol. If u don't believe the tory, y u no waka go a believable thread? Pchewww lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by JayCee2010: 2:28am On Nov 02, 2012
@ OP deep sight
I truely thank God for your life.

Your story is harrowing to say the least. And you told it so well- painting an excellent picture of how damaged nigerias security is.

As for the police, no hope there. These minimum wage earners will not risk their lives to come to the aid of other citizens and help them protect their (mostly ill-gotten) millions.

Nigerians (most) are very bitter and the lower class resent the upper class- hence the high rate of violent crimes.

Your idea of a revolution is what we need. I have always had the same opinion on that.
This democracy isn't working out for us and our leaders are hopelessly ineffective and immoral.

For the time being, let us keep doing what we do best, hope, pray and wait for that change we wish to see.

PS: your post was so tastefully written, I admire people who are skillful in the art of literature. I'm a bit of a writer myself. You should consider writing a book or a blog. Thank God for sparing your life.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by obowunmi(m): 2:28am On Nov 02, 2012
mekaboy: IM EVEN SUPRISED, SINCE THE ROBBERS ALLOWED HIM TO STAND UP AND COVER THE WHOLE EVENT, MAYBE HE TOLD THE ROBBERS HE WORKED WITH CNN OR BBC AND HE WAS WORKING ON A DOCUMENTARY OF ARMED ROBBERY IN NIGERIA. SO THEY ALLOWED HIM TO COVER THE EVENT AND ADD TO HIS STORY.

I have many more questions only if the OP will answer truthfully. How did your girlfriend escape? Was she in the car too? Why wasn't she raped?
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 4:02am On Nov 02, 2012
obowunmi:

I have many more questions only if the OP will answer truthfully. How did your girlfriend escape? Was she in the car too? Why wasn't she raped?
tf? did u guys even read? it is diff to try to figure out if he is lying, but it is diff not to read what he wrote and ask stupid questions.

5 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by obowunmi(m): 5:58am On Nov 02, 2012
Donlittle: tf? did u guys even read? it is diff to try to figure out if he is lying, but it is diff not to read what he wrote and ask stupid questions.

He dropped the "friend" home - I'm asking what made her special to deserve the "drop off" wait.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by flexyonline: 6:04am On Nov 02, 2012
I've done a google search on this story and nothing came up. It shows that our news media just are not up to their their game.

On the other hand, I live quite close to all these places in the story and it's surprising that this is the first I'm hearing of it. To think that my estate security department still sent out a security advisory last week and nothing was mentioned about this incident! I need to query a lot of people!!

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by kenono(m): 7:22am On Nov 02, 2012
Wait a minute guys, this got me thinking for a while, what amount of bullets did they go with that did not finish throughout the whole shooting spree as exaggerated

2 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by expertfingers(m): 7:29am On Nov 02, 2012
obowunmi:

He dropped the "friend" home - I'm asking what made her special to deserve the "drop off" wait.

You may need to ask the arm robbers, it is allegded that at least one of them is on this thread.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by mekaboy(m): 8:48am On Nov 02, 2012
kenono: Wait a minute guys, this got me thinking for a while, what amount of bullets did they go with that did not finish throughout the whole shooting spree as exaggerated

THEY WERE WEARING CHAINS OF BULLETS, THEY EVEN SPENT MORE ON BULLETS THAN THEY MADE FROM THE ROBBERY. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Sept12: 9:19am On Nov 02, 2012
This will be my last post both under this pseudonym and on this topic.

I am disheartened that we have people on this topic that spew forth all sorts of excrement in the attempt to either sound the most "intelligent" in their village or just in order to sate their crooked desire for relevance.

First things first get understanding:
If you are going to comment please read ALL the comments in the topic. To make sure you get the facts right, see if anyone has asked the question you would ask and to compare from different perspectives.

Secondly - Perspective
If you were not there you could not know what it was like to be there so be cautious when rebuilding the scenarios. If you are abroad (and have been for a considerable amount of time) how can you ever understand when one says the police emergency line was called about 2 mins into this operation and it took them over 2 hours to respond?

Third - Objective
Check the objectives of all concerned.
The OP is not asking you for donations. Not wanting anything from you other than to help you keep safe. I went to the scene after the robbery and i saw the two dead police men. I spoke to the victims. i helped clean up. I saw the carnage. I got there before the Police investigators. I saw and yet i did not understand everything until the OP brought his own perspective. I know it is not fiction. and if it was (for people that didnt see what i saw) learn your lessons and move on. No need to come here to show your ignorance in the market of "arroganism".

Fourth - Civility
I have been here on Nairaland for about 6-7 years. I relied on Nairaland a whole lot when i was based outside Nigeria and planning my relocation. Got investment tips and made many friends who together we made some money here. I remember the exodus to 'that other forum' when Seun Osewa became totalitarian. I come here less now and i see less of the early people commenting as well.
You see? what i have learnt is that Nairaland is a perfect analog for Nigeria the country. There is a lack of respect, civility, responsibility, decorum, intelligence, exertion to understand etc etc etc...these thing needed to engender a productive modern soceity. Nigeria and Nairaland both are therefore linked. I therefore employ the same rules in both soceities. i try to live the same way in both places.
I live in Nigeria and just as I will not step into public in Nigeria to spew rubbish from my mouth in Nigeria....I will not do same here in Nairaland. I wouldnt disrespect anyone and surely would not waste my time going tangential except i had specific interest.

My point.

The level of crass disregard for civility that exists on Nairaland is appalling. People come across as unintelligent, poorly educated and with no ability to build scenarios and achieve perspective. The same exact situation Nigeria is in. And seeing that Nairaland has a younger demographic it shows the kind of future Nigeria is destined for. I think it is everyones responsibility to either contribute constructively or allow those who are ready to contribute have a forum where they can attempt to make constructive change possible.

The OP never intended this as a political forum, a crime novel or a police report to be examined on CSI. He titled it appropriately: "MY armed robbery.....". It was his personal experience and HIS perspective. Please either contribute constructively...or shut up if you are not HIM.

Goodbye.

12 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by flexyonline: 9:47am On Nov 02, 2012
Sept12: This will be my last post both under this pseudonym and on this topic.

I am disheartened that we have people on this topic that spew forth all sorts of excrement in the attempt to either sound the most "intelligent" in their village or just in order to sate their crooked desire for relevance.

If you are going to comment please read ALL the comments in the topic. To make sure you get the facts right, see if anyone has asked the question you would ask and to compare from different perspectives.

Secondly - Perspective
If you were not there you could not know what it was like to be there so be cautious when rebuilding the scenarios. If you are abroad (and have been for a considerable amount of time) how can you ever understand when one says the police emergency line was called about 2 mins into this operation and it took them over 2 hours to respond?

Third - Objective
The OP is not asking you for donations. Not wanting anything from you other than to help you keep safe. I went to the scene after the robbery and i saw the two dead police men. I spoke to the victims. i helped clean up. I saw the carnage. I got there before the Police investigators. I saw and yet i did not understand everything until the OP brought his own perspective. I know it is not fiction. and if it was (for people that didnt see what i saw) learn your lessons and move on. No need to come here to show your ignorance in the market of "arroganism".

Fourth - Civility
I have been here on Nairaland for about 6-7 years. I relied on Nairaland a whole lot when i was based outside Nigeria and planning my relocation. Got investment tips and made many friends who together we made some money here. I remember the exodus to 'that other forum' when Seun Osewa became totalitarian. I come here less now and i see less of the early people commenting as well.
You see? what i have learnt is that Nairaland is a perfect analog for Nigeria the country. There is a lack of respect, civility, responsibility, decorum, intelligence, exertion to understand etc etc etc...these thing needed to engender a productive modern soceity. Nigeria and Nairaland both are therefore linked. I therefore employ the same rules in both soceities. i try to live the same way in both places.
I live in Nigeria and just as I will not step into public in Nigeria to spew rubbish from my mouth in Nigeria....I will not do same here in Nairaland. I wouldnt disrespect anyone and surely would not waste my time going tangential except i had specific interest.

My point.

The level of crass disregard for civility that exists on Nairaland is appalling. People come across as unintelligent, poorly educated and with no ability to build scenarios and achieve perspective. The same exact situation Nigeria is in. And seeing that Nairaland has a younger demographic it shows the kind of future Nigeria is destined for. I think it is everyones responsibility to either contribute constructively or allow those who are ready to contribute have a forum where they can attempt to make constructive change possible.

The OP never intended this as a political forum, a crime novel or a police report to be examined on CSI. He titled it appropriately: "MY armed robbery.....". It was his personal experience and HIS perspective. Please either contribute constructively...or shut up if you are not HIM.

Goodbye.

They'll soon come and say your post is too long to read.

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by mekaboy(m): 10:04am On Nov 02, 2012
Sept12: This will be my last post both under this pseudonym and on this topic.

Secondly - Perspective

Third - Objective

Fourth - Civility

My point.

Goodbye.
WHAT STOPS YOU FROM BEING THE OP WITH ANOTHER USER NAME ? I AM NOT SAYING THE STORY IS FAKE, I AM ONLY SAYING THE OP IS CLAIMING TO BE THE VICTIM WHICH HE IS NOT .

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by otokx(m): 10:34am On Nov 02, 2012
@sept12

do not despair, have once been in your shoes and actually felt like leaving Nairaland, truth be told a lot of posters do not understand the rules of engagement on a public forum. We owe it a duty though to continue to reveal the reality of things going on in Nigeria.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by azpekuliar: 10:42am On Nov 02, 2012
Truly a harrowing experience, bro. Glad to know you came through barely scathed. But that part about the 'Adam's Hammer' that needs 2 people to wield it...lolz. Damn!
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by honeric01(m): 12:07pm On Nov 02, 2012
otokx: @sept12

do not despair, have once been in your shoes and actually felt like leaving Nairaland, truth be told a lot of posters do not understand the rules of engagement on a public forum. We owe it a duty though to continue to reveal the reality of things going on in Nigeria.

50% of NL are not normal.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Beebah03: 12:10pm On Nov 02, 2012
I hope you're okay psychologically tho cos this is sickening even for me and I wasn't there.....thank God you're alive.....as for this country, I don't even know what to say anymore, I've sincerely lost hope.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by otokx(m): 12:41pm On Nov 02, 2012
honeric01:

50% of NL are not normal.

Nairaland is just a reflection of the general decadence in Nigeria.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by honeric01(m): 12:44pm On Nov 02, 2012
otokx:

Nairaland is just a reflection of the general decadence in Nigeria.

And yes Nigerians are not normal
they like the "abnormals", not comfortable with normal things.

They love noise, they don't fake sanity, insanity is the order of the day from music, to games to sports e.t.c

Listen to an average Nigerian argue in Nigeria, anger, violence is seen and felt in the argument.

It only takes "abnormality" to see uneducated few ruling majority of educated ones.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by DeepSight(m): 1:57pm On Nov 02, 2012
mekaboy:

mekaboy:

I just feel sad at your response. Please if you are so concerned, visit or send to Maroko Police station and make inquiries. I feel tempted to post pic of my car afterwards and scan the police report, but that will show up my identity. I no need palaver i beg.

Life has been too troubling. I really wanted to post this sooner but never had the time or inclination. I just hope you all get to be more security conscious. We all need it.

Take care and stay blessed.

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:05pm On Nov 02, 2012
expertfingers:

You may need to ask the arm robbers, it is allegded that at least one of them is on this thread.
did u read when he said it was only one of the robbers that stopped him? obviously he was coming back as he told him. he let him drop her off because he was going to get the others for the operation. u need to think deeply and stop trying to sound too smart. if u dnt believe the story, go to where he lives everynight and go get ur own experience. if u survive it, come back and post ut with your full details alright? sorry, this is intended for obowunmi

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 02, 2012
man yall dont know wat it is for some1 who isnt 40 to lose his job, when my old man lost his job, the look on his face every morning was disheartning. only thing that kept him going was me, my bro, and his house. i hope none of yall spewing rubbish loses ur job, with bills to pay and extended family to feed. u go knw say khaki no be leather

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Native Doctor Asks The Gods To Kill Man Who Flogged A Lady In Libya / Woman Beats Her Husband’s 3-Year-Old Niece To Death In Lagos (Photos) / Pastor Who Rapes Pregnant Girls In Abia Church Turned Baby Factory Arrested(Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.