Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation (41463 Views)

My Robbery Experience At Diamond Bank Today / Ogun Police Arrests Cultists For Armed Robbery, Recovers 10 Cars (photo) / Lagos-Ibadan Express Way: Robbery Experience TODAY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Areaboy2(m): 2:21pm On Nov 01, 2012
Foxybone:

At last it made the front page where guests can read and understand the predicament of Nigerians. I can't imagine having to go through this harrowing experience and not go to the church (atheist take note) and return all the praise to God. And to say in the least that the Nigerian Police is one of the best in the world is just a plain ridicule of Nigeria as a nation.

If robbers should leave trace and trace of evidence, infact, inviting the police when they left the first crime scene by shooting spontaneously into the air only for the police to arrive hours later, then I must say that I am hoghly disappointed in the security system.

This incidence took my mind back to my days spent in Kano just before the January 20th Attack that left scores of people dead consisting mainly of Policemen, what would I say than serve them right. I remember us handing over a young man suspected to be a member of Boko Haram because he was going from house to house checking out people, now instead of detaining the young man, the policemen who mounted a checkpoint because of the ongoing strike then and protest in Kano decided to free him. They went ahead to put him on a bike and asked him never to return to our area.

Unfortunately, the attack on Kano state came 2 days later, this could have been prevented if the policemen had done their job properly, but what more can I say than thank God for keeping me all through the attack and allowing me leave Kano State in one piece.

OP.... May God give you the necessary strength you need....

That's very arrogant and quite frankly condescending to say the least. 4 people were killed in this event and god deemed it ok for them to die?

4 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by lafuria1(m): 2:23pm On Nov 01, 2012
shymexx: Enjoying your billions of naira house in Lekki while the majority are living in welcome-to-Lagos houses, and you expect them to let you sleep with your two eyes closed, no??

Nigeria is an animal jungle where everyone is trying to survive - spread the wealth, thieving bastards, and fix the damn system...
poor people mentality.........

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 01, 2012
Deep Sight:
To be honest, that was my first thought. These people have obviously reached the limit of their frustration and are ready to die. Unfortunatley what they dont recognise is that no be only them. They saw me driving an expensive car and probably assumed i was a rich kid. They wouldnot know, of course, that this was a man who had almost committed suicide this same year after a broken wedding, a lost job, lost finances and then they had to add their own to it.

I keep thinking about the men they killed. Somebody's father, somebody's husband, somebody's brother. . . just trying to make an honest living for their families.

God dey.

Thank you, brother...

The guy who went through the ordeal also understands the root cause of this madness...

Poverty breeds anger - these people have nothing to lose...

It just shows everything wrong with the system, to be honest...

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by playahP(m): 2:24pm On Nov 01, 2012
Very good story! Your writing skill is good...... But I can't figure out how they got there with all the heavy equipments yet no get-away car?? Sounds like a scene from a nigerian movie I'd never watch!
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 01, 2012
la furia:
poor people mentality.........

Richer than your family put together...

How much does your family earn monthly, without stealing, prick??
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by coogar: 2:26pm On Nov 01, 2012
shymexx:

Thank you, brother...

The guy who went through the ordeal also understands the root cause of this madness...

Poverty breeds anger - these people have nothing to lose...

It just shows everything wrong with the system, to be honest...

except that the victims here are also struggling themselves. deep sight does not work for the government neither is he a politician - why attack him? i doubt anyone would raise an eyebrow if this spineless criminals have gone to the government house to rob - these bandits have no shame - they are robbing from the struggling masses when they should be robbing the dimeji bankoles or the ubas of this world!
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Areaboy2(m): 2:26pm On Nov 01, 2012
Deep Sight:

To be honest, that was my first thought. These people have obviously reached the limit of their frustration and are ready to die. Unfortunatley what they dont recognise is that no be only them. They saw me driving an expensive car and probably assumed i was a rich kid. They wouldnot know, of course, that this was a man who had almost committed suicide this same year after a broken wedding, a lost job, lost finances and then they had to add their own to it.

I keep thinking about the men they killed. Somebody's father, somebody's husband, somebody's brother. . . just trying to make an honest living for their families.

God dey.

before the Christians invade and start thanking god, they should remember the fallen 4 undecided
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by logica(m): 2:26pm On Nov 01, 2012
Interesting. This is to know lots of crimes go unreported; as I never even heard a news report on this.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Sept12: 2:26pm On Nov 01, 2012
I know this story. it is particularly personal to me since i know some of the victims. it happened on the 12th of September around Elf estate near Citilodge hotel. I was called at 2 am and i called the police on their emergency number. Trust me....i wasnt being robbed...but it was the most terrifying experience i have ever had. The police told me they would send people there when i called the first time. Around 2 am. i then thought it would soon be over. Alas about 1 hour later when i couldnt reach the persons phones that i knew in the story, i called the police again.....the same guy told me the thieves had killed the first set of police they sent.....'it is very sad my brother....but lets trust God...he will do it....we have deployed an armoured tank...' I remember going to the scene and seeing so called bullet proof doors removed so easily, burglary proofs? what burglary proofing? I saw the police pick up shot up and the bodies of the first set of police sent still in it. I was scared. To think that 2 hours of robbery happened in Lekki? 4 minutes from V.I where I walk about at such late hours?

It was traumatic to say the least. Just remembering the events now is sending such chills down my spine that i cant even type without shaking. It was an experience. An eye opener. If thieves come to your house and are these prepared...you are done for.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 01, 2012
Deep Sight:

God dey.

it has little to do with frustration and plenty to do with laziness and the desire for easy money.

those who r-aped and killed cynthia and sold her phone - are they also frustrated?

it is not so much that they are ready to die as it is that they know nothing will happen.

you think if everybody had a gun they would be brazenly breaking down people's doors

do you want to tell me that robbers etal in the rest of the world are also frustrated?

how much do you think they made in that operation? how long do you think that money will last?

shymexx:

Richer than your family put together...

How much does your family earn monthly, without stealing, prick??

aren't you the broke arse nigga from the uk slums? come to naija to form big man?

3 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 01, 2012
coogar:
they should find jobs or make themselves useful instead of killing and räping women! if the motive is all about surviving, why räpe and kill after taking money from their victims? these men of the underworld are just evil - a lot of nigerians wouldn't mind letting these men take money or valuables - it's the killing and the sëxual assault of the women that get people peeved!

But where are the jobs? There are millions of graduates in that country that can't even get a decent job - how do expect unskilled people to get jobs? The unemployment rate in Nigeria is about 50%(officially), the country is abyss!

Poverty breeds evil and anger - that's the truth... And Nigeria is a country where people worship money and so people would do anything for it, it's just sad..

just when i thought lagos state finally conquered the menace of armed robbery - it seems to be getting worse!

I don't know, but it's going to be difficult to conquer it in a country like Nigeria, where there's no central database, ill-equipped and ill-trained police force, no CCTV cameras, and with poverty everywhere...
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by dabrake(m): 2:31pm On Nov 01, 2012
I can imagine how you felt. Still remembered that fateful night I hit a police gun pointing at me and then the gun shot went towards the deflected direction. Hot rush of non-stop urine escaped my JT. That urine was budgetted for the next morning as I had already eased myself few minutes to the event. It is well brother.

3 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:31pm On Nov 01, 2012
coogar:

except that the victims here are also struggling themselves. deep sight does not work for the government neither is he a politician - why attack him? i doubt anyone would raise an eyebrow if this spineless criminals have gone to the government house to rob - these bandits have no shame - they are robbing from the struggling masses when they should be robbing the dimeji bankoles or the ubas of this world!

thats how you know its not about 'frustration making them fearless' - they will not go near any house where they know police or soldiers will materialise in a jiffy

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 01, 2012
oyb:
aren't you the broke arse nigga from the uk slums? come to naija to form big man?

The same 'broke bottom' that would pay your annual wages in a month!!

Fvck off - and don't piss me off "Nigerian bigman." undecided undecided
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:34pm On Nov 01, 2012
Stop bothering Abt when corruption, PHCN, the police etc will be redeemed, it ain't happening except u guys decide to invite whites over to direct y'all.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:34pm On Nov 01, 2012
shymexx:

The same 'broke bottom' that would pay your annual wages in a month!!

Fvck off - and don't piss me off "Nigerian bigman." undecided undecided

with what - welfare cheesy cheesy cheesy

your repeated defense of robbers etal says one thing only, that those are the people you run with. typical yob

1 Like

Sept12: I know this story. it is particularly personal to me since i know some of the victims. it happened on the 12th of September around Elf estate near Citilodge hotel. I was called at 2 am and i called the police on their emergency number. Trust me....i wasnt being robbed...but it was the most terrifying experience i have ever had. The police told me they would send people there when i called the first time. Around 2 am. i then thought it would soon be over. Alas about 1 hour later when i couldnt reach the persons phones that i knew in the story, i called the police again.....the same guy told me the thieves had killed the first set of police they sent.....'it is very sad my brother....but lets trust God...he will do it....we have deployed an armoured tank...' I remember going to the scene and seeing so[b] called bullet proof doors removed so easily, burglary proofs? what burglary proofing? I saw the police pick up shot up and the bodies of the first set of police sent still in it. I was scared. To think that 2 hours of robbery happened in Lekki?[/b] 4 minutes from V.I where I walk about at such late hours?

It was traumatic to say the least. Just remembering the events now is sending such chills down my spine that i cant even type without shaking. It was an experience. An eye opener. If thieves come to your house and are these prepared...you are done for.

angry angry shocked undecided Nawao o o 9ija don dey tire me 80% loading .. i am sure 100million naira can equip our police department but lipsrsealed
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by DeepSight(m): 2:35pm On Nov 01, 2012
Sept12: I know this story. it is particularly personal to me since i know some of the victims. it happened on the 12th of September around Elf estate near Citilodge hotel. I was called at 2 am and i called the police on their emergency number. Trust me....i wasnt being robbed...but it was the most terrifying experience i have ever had. The police told me they would send people there when i called the first time. Around 2 am. i then thought it would soon be over. Alas about 1 hour later when i couldnt reach the persons phones that i knew in the story, i called the police again.....the same guy told me the thieves had killed the first set of police they sent.....'it is very sad my brother....but lets trust God...he will do it....we have deployed an armoured tank...' I remember going to the scene and seeing so called bullet proof doors removed so easily, burglary proofs? what burglary proofing? I saw the police pick up shot up and the bodies of the first set of police sent still in it. I was scared. To think that 2 hours of robbery happened in Lekki? 4 minutes from V.I where I walk about at such late hours?

Well this must be yet another experience, because mine happened 11th of August. . .was reported at Maroko Police Station.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 01, 2012
coogar:

I guess he's a victim of circumstance...

That's more reason why everyone in Nigeria needs to join the revolution and damage a change...

It's just sickening to see a country with so much potentials continue on this one-way route to abyss...And the people living there are not bothered, it's annoying!

Nigeria needs a change!!
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by ballabriggs: 2:35pm On Nov 01, 2012
oyb:

it has little to do with frustration and plenty to do with laziness and the desire for easy money.

those who r-aped and killed cynthia and sold her phone - are they also frustrated?

it is not so much that they are ready to die as it is that they know nothing will happen.

you think if everybody had a gun they would be brazenly breaking down people's doors

do you want to tell me that robbers etal in the rest of the world are also frustrated?

how much do you think they made in that operation? how long do you think that money will last?

I will buy your argument if we had just one case. However, with violence all over the country, there is a big social problem. From kidnapping in the east, to bunkering and theft in the niger delta, to BH in the north, to robbery all over the country.

There is a big social problem. The example you have given is an isolated case. Go to any bus stop in Lagos in the morning and see the number of young men who are idle. Now add all the bus stops in Nigeria together. You are talking of millions of idle people. If they had factories to work in, you will not see them there. Those men are waiting to be recruited into the army of crime and violence.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 01, 2012
-
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Ishilove: 2:37pm On Nov 01, 2012
taharqa: @OP, i like yr suggestn about setting oneself on fire in order to start a revolution. You intend to do this any time soon? Goodluck on that
Let him not try it. You have forgotten this is Nigeria?? People will simply just gather with their phones and record away while his flesh sizzles and roasts. You might have one or two who will hold their heads and weep as he burns, but the vast majority will record the self immolation and upload the video on the internet. After this the jokes and cartoons will begin. A week or two later the whole thing becomes stale news.

This is Nigeria and it is very tragic sad

3 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Laajman(m): 2:38pm On Nov 01, 2012
Quite interesting.. firstly, I must commend the OP for such an excellent write-up.

This is the predicament in which we find ourselves, and I don't think it might improve anytime soon.

>50% of Nigeria's population is <30 years old. We are breeding millions of potential suicide bombers, kidnappers, thieves and thugs. Most of these folks are uneducated, or have crappy education. At this rate, what would we look like in 20 years??

Where are the jobs to engage these millions in the coming years. Worse still, what if our oil dries up soon or an alternative to oil is found sooner than we expect?

There is a saying about the rich - poor. The poor man cannot sleep because he is hungry. The rich man can only sleep with one eye open because the poor man is awake.

Sadly, when the time comes - armoured vehicles, 20 feet fences, armies of security guards etc wouldn't suffice to secure the rich.

3 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Leadn(m): 2:39pm On Nov 01, 2012
oyb:

please ban this riff raff animal - sounds like one of the criminals

seriously?? I think you need to be banned yourself! He made a clear and important point! Nature has warned,,, work all day and rest all night! You shouldn't be found plying roads by 11am talk more of 12am and co...
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 01, 2012
ballabriggs:

I will buy your argument if we had just one case. However, with violence all over the country, there is a big social problem. From kidnapping in the east, to bunkering and theft in the niger delta, to BH in the north, to robbery all over the country.

There is a big social problem. The example you have given is an isolated case. Go to any bus stop in Lagos in the morning and see the number of young men who are idle. Now add all the bus stops in Nigeria together. You are talking of millions of idle people. If they had factories to work in, you will not see them there. Those men are waiting to be recruited into the army of crime and violence.

a lot of these robbers are clearly in construction - which is why they have access to and knowledge of demolition equipment.

thats how bad it is. so many nigerians are potential criminals or accomplices of same - because of our warped value system and our desire for quick money - and because in nigeria , criminals almost always get clean away

a friend was telling me about how the same people who built her dad's house came to rob him after he moved in - he knew because he shot one of them dead.
the workers on a house in my close were almost certainly complicit in the robbery - some one had stacked sacks of material against a gate and fence in a formation that allowed a quick escape
there is also the case a well known choir leader in rccg who was involved in the kidnap of a toddler.
there was the case of a man whose driver of ten years or more kidnapped his kids.
the bank worker who sicced robbers onto a customer who made a big withdrawal.

for me, the crime is partially due to social conditions, but is due far more to absence of consequences.

lot of the time, criminals are caught and let go after settling police. imagine a person who robbed yo threatening you. i'm sure the people in deepsights story were unmasked. thats a clear sign of people who know they will get away with it.

3 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Sept12: 2:40pm On Nov 01, 2012
Trust me. I know the story. My bad....12 of August. Sunday morning. You were asking which area of Lagos is this....the street where they killed the policemen is Noble close. And i will never forget how stupid i thought it was for Policemen to drive into a close...all the way to the end of it (about 6 houses long)...turn and face the exit of the close and then sit in their car when they had been informed there was an armed robbery event going on. I was told there was a mopo there too ...who when they arrived got out of the car and deployed in the bush strategically while the normal police men were radioing in their car and gisting. I know your story bro.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by coogar: 2:42pm On Nov 01, 2012
shymexx:
But where are the jobs? There are millions of graduates in that country that can't even get a decent job - how do expect unskilled people to get jobs? The unemployment rate in Nigeria is about 50%(officially), the country is abyss!

where are the jobs? there are petty businesses everywhere - it's just that our people are lazy or they want the least of minimum effort to make megabucks! it's quite insensitive of you to support armed robbers - if your sister was räped in this kinda incident, you would be more sympathetic with the victims - lets apply common sense in whatever we say....

Poverty breeds evil and anger - that's the truth... And Nigeria is a country where people worship money and so people would do anything for it, it's just sad..

nigeria is not the only country having to cope with poverty - in the other countries i know, the anger is towards their government, in nigeria - the anger is towards the neighbour! what kind of idiotic mentality is that? robbers should go to abuja and attack senators and ministers - not the struggling populace!

I don't know, but it's going to be difficult to conquer it in a country like Nigeria, where there's no central database, ill-equipped and ill-trained police force, no CCTV cameras, and with poverty everywhere...

i think fashola should be doing much more about the security of lagos state! how can an incident last 4 hours with no armed policemen in sight? even after the incident, there's no forensic science to pull the crime scene apart and find clues........in 2012? in few days time, a silly nigerian would go to the travel section and say nigerians in diaspora are envious of the home-based nigerians! wowzer!!!!

2 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Leadn(m): 2:42pm On Nov 01, 2012
Ishilove:
Let him not try it. You have forgotten this is Nigeria?? People will simply just gather with their phones and record away while his flesh sizzles and roasts. You might have one or two who will hold their heads and weep as he burns, but the vast majority will record the self immolation and upload the video on the internet. After this the jokes and cartoons will begin. A week or two later the whole thing becomes stale news.

This is Nigeria and it is very tragic sad

I think he meant it to be amusing or somewhat funny which I'd catch smiley cheesy cool
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Areaboy2(m): 2:42pm On Nov 01, 2012
Sept12: Trust me. I know the story. My bad....12 of August. Sunday morning. You were asking which area of Lagos is this....the street where they killed the policemen is Noble close. And i will never forget how stupid i thought it was for Policemen to drive into a close...all the way to the end of it (about 6 houses long)...turn and face the exit of the close and then sit in their car when they had been informed there was an armed robbery event going on. I was told there was a mopo there too ...who when they arrived got out of the car and deployed in the bush strategically while the normal police men were radioing in their car and gisting. I know your story bro.

lol.. you just shot yourself in the foot!! grin grin grin grin grin

cos you created a new account "sept12" just to reply to this thread!! guess u need a new one "Aug12" cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by DeepSight(m): 2:43pm On Nov 01, 2012
Sept12: Trust me. I know the story. My bad....12 of August. Sunday morning. You were asking which area of Lagos is this....the street where they killed the policemen is Noble close. And i will never forget how stupid i thought it was for Policemen to drive into a close...all the way to the end of it (about 6 houses long)...turn and face the exit of the close and then sit in their car when they had been informed there was an armed robbery event going on. I was told there was a mopo there too ...who when they arrived got out of the car and deployed in the bush strategically while the normal police men were radioing in their car and gisting. I know your story bro.

You are right! Sunday morning, and it was a close!
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Elebiju: 2:43pm On Nov 01, 2012
Phew!very interesting and action packed pls when will the part 2 be premiered
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by icez: 2:45pm On Nov 01, 2012
so bad. cry cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Man Who Disguised As A Woman In Ghana Caught. Photos / Native Doctor Asks The Gods To Kill Man Who Flogged A Lady In Libya / Pastor Who Rapes Pregnant Girls In Abia Church Turned Baby Factory Arrested(Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.