Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,202 members, 7,845,970 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? (7102 Views)

Military Not Sincere On Casualty Figure Of Sunday’s Attack – Borno Residents / N40 Pump Fuel Price Is My Figure, Not Buhari’s, Says David-west / NTA Is A National Disgrace And Public Money Blackhole. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by usmanyaro17: 10:19am On Dec 06, 2012
GEJ...he is the number one man,he represents all of us...
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by dridowu: 10:20am On Dec 06, 2012
HOD OF GBAGUN DEPT. 1st lady. A National Figure
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by yuzedo: 10:22am On Dec 06, 2012
Sunymoore: pyguru banned Sunymoore for http://
www.nairaland.com/978228/new-320gb-
external-hard-drive/5#13245296. Ban
expires at Today at 10:53:39 AM.
Pls pals, who is this pyguru. I dnt know y hates me, he ban me everysingle moment, sometime even just after posting something, i wonder how sharp dis guy is. I even follwed him in order to atleast reduce the ban he usually gives me, but its abrtive. One funny thing is that i never see a post or comment of him.
Finally am back, n i must fight him ASAP

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Pyguru is THE MATRIX.... You cannot battle the system! *Ghen Ghen* grin

1 Like

Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 06, 2012
yuzedo:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Pyguru is THE MATRIX.... You cannot battle the system! *Ghen Ghen* grin

cheesy cheesy
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by XFive: 10:25am On Dec 06, 2012
odumchi:

I za aga ole wuru onye Igbo?
Nwanne m ndaa? onye ohu abu gi Onye Igbo, o onye mba ovia

2 Likes

Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by omenziate(m): 10:29am On Dec 06, 2012
Abubakar Shekau - the man don affect Naija die.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Navalsadiq(m): 10:33am On Dec 06, 2012
FreeGlobe: Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Fela.
soyinka is not a natinal figure he is only a critic.that he won a nobel price doen't make him a national figure.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by jamex089(m): 10:43am On Dec 06, 2012
National figure? Maself
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by ypzilanti: 10:48am On Dec 06, 2012
Naval sadiq: soyinka is not a national figure he is only a critic.that he won a nobel price doen't make him a national figure.

Soyinka qualifies, he speaks the truth and is consistent. He even spent 3 years in prison for fighting against the Nigerian government's quest for the civil war. I am yet to see any award from an Igbo group to him in this regards, or any acknowledgement of his contribution.

In Nigeria, the major ethnic groups so hate each other that it appears being born from one place automatically deprives you from support from the other. We are hateful people, unfortunately, and an anonymous forum like Nairaland confirms it.

I think Fela also qualifies.

Chinua Achebe is another national icon, but he has dared to speak his mind and demystify a Yoruba 'god'. Majority of Yorubas hate him now. It is the nature of Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by xrazzy(m): 10:52am On Dec 06, 2012
clifford Orji.....undisputed national cannibal
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by safarigirl(f): 11:06am On Dec 06, 2012
afam4eva:
I doubt if there's any country who doesn't have a National idol.
you sure? Over 200 countries and only one has no National Icon? What kinda misfits are we? Kazakhstan, Armenia, Libya, Somalia, Canada, Nepal, Argentina, Gambia, Sierra Leone, google their National Icons, see if they have any. A National Icon is one who led a struggle, mostly for Independence. Enahoro would have been ours, but too many ethnic groups and sentiments to choose one. I'll have to go with Fela, he's the one person who has general consensus with Nigerians cos he led a struggle, and his message continues to resonate Nationwide. I doubt there's a Nigerian who will speak ill of Fela. Plus, Fela's name is synonymous to Nigeria anywhere in the world.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by emiye(m): 11:09am On Dec 06, 2012
Gani Fawehinmi & Wole Soyinka

1 Like

Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by chuksmad(m): 11:13am On Dec 06, 2012
BeraBera: I'm Ibo, but I will recommend the Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka any day any time
Shut up, you are not an Igbo. Even the way you pronounce it, gives you away.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Parnassuss(m): 11:17am On Dec 06, 2012
COL DANGIWA UMAR, WOLE SOYINKA and AHMED MAMUDU. Plus I am Igbo, from Nsukka for that matter.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by achi4u(m): 11:22am On Dec 06, 2012
zik of Africa

1 Like

Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by emmasege: 11:23am On Dec 06, 2012
National figure can only be applicable to a nation, but when u have an amalgamation of nations it's difficult to get one
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by nagoma(m): 11:23am On Dec 06, 2012
ypzilanti:
Soyinka qualifies, he speaks the truth and is consistent. He even spent 3 years in prison for fighting against the Nigerian government's quest for the civil war. I am yet to see any award from an Igbo group to him in this regards, or any acknowledgement of his contribution.
In Nigeria, the major ethnic groups so hate each other that it appears being born from one place automatically deprives you from support from the other. We are hateful people, unfortunately, and an anonymous forum like Nairaland confirms it.
Chinua Achebe is another national icon, but he has dared to speak his mind and demystify a Yoruba 'god'. Majority of Yorubas hate him now. It is the nature of Nigeria.

You will have problem selling Soyinka to all Nigerians. He told stories in good and difficult english. He is elaborately pretentious and his snobbery will not allow him to identify with all Nigerians. Soyinka in my opinion has his social development stunted at the student radicalism stage in which he remains consistent.I have not identified any clear vision (for Nigeria) or ideology ascribed to him or associated with him. He comes in most handy when leaders are needed to hold placard for demonstration, even in that , he failed us in the occupy Nigeria movement.I chose Nwanko Kanu.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by nagoma(m): 11:23am On Dec 06, 2012
ypzilanti:

You will have problem selling Soyinka to all Nigerians. He told stories in good and difficult english. He is elaborately pretentious and his snobbery will not allow him to identify with all Nigerians. Soyinka in my opinion has his social development stunted at the student radicalism stage in which he remains consistent.I have not identified any clear vision (for Nigeria) or ideology ascribed to him or associated with him. He comes in most handy when leaders are needed to hold placard for demonstration, even in that , he failed us in the occupy Nigeria movement. He is, perhaps, the most over rated person in the leadership level in Nigeria.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by achi4u(m): 11:29am On Dec 06, 2012
Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu. he shaped the history of this nation.

Who care dare him by the way?grin

1 Like

Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 11:29am On Dec 06, 2012
safarigirl: you sure? Over 200 countries and only one has no National Icon? What kinda misfits are we? Kazakhstan, Armenia, Libya, Somalia, Canada, Nepal, Argentina, Gambia, Sierra Leone, google their National Icons, see if they have any. A National Icon is one who led a struggle, mostly for Independence. Enahoro would have been ours, but too many ethnic groups and sentiments to choose one. I'll have to go with Fela, he's the one person who has general consensus with Nigerians cos he led a struggle, and his message continues to resonate Nationwide. I doubt there's a Nigerian who will speak ill of Fela. Plus, Fela's name is synonymous to Nigeria anywhere in the world.
Enahoro doesn't even come close. Even though he contributted his own quota to Nigeria gaining independence, he's not really know by the ordinary Nigerian and does/did not command the kind of followinf of people like Ojukwu, Awolowo, ZIK of Africa, Ahmadu Bello etc.

achi4u: zik of Africa
ZIK actually stands a better chance by than anyone else because he has more acceptability in every part of Nigeria than others but he didn't make the kind of impact that would suppress those of others and he was also too political. People like Mandela and Ghandi were really not politicians but they commanded huge following.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Arcard(m): 11:31am On Dec 06, 2012
Herbert macauley
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Sike(m): 11:35am On Dec 06, 2012
Sad but true.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by prettyboi1(m): 11:40am On Dec 06, 2012
FreeGlobe: Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe, Fela.
I totally agree with you.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 11:40am On Dec 06, 2012
Arcard: Herbert macauley
He's one of the few leaders that were not seen from a tribal prism but we hear more about ZIK, Awo and Bello than we hear about him. Many people don't know much about him apart from the fact that he's on our currency.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by lawak: 11:44am On Dec 06, 2012
BeraBera: I'm Ibo, but I will recommend the Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka any day any time

u r of Igbo origin not Ibo. I agree with you too, Wole is one of them
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by 6ft: 11:56am On Dec 06, 2012
CORRUPTION...
just cant thnk of anoda 'national figure' #my bad
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by omoode2011: 11:58am On Dec 06, 2012
grin grin grin
Clerverly:
You are "Ibo"? Smh! Which tribe is Ibo? Because in Nigeria we only have Igbos.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by gratiaeo(m): 12:00pm On Dec 06, 2012
Who say we don't have National figure in Naija...... Waiting GOWON do you? A man who fourth to keep Naija togetherWho say we don't have National figure in Naija...... Waiting GOWON do you? A man who fourth to keep Naija togetherWho say we don't have National figure in Naija...... Waiting GOWON do you? A man who fourth to keep Naija together
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by aglomar: 12:00pm On Dec 06, 2012
Corruption nko?
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by EfemenaXY: 12:02pm On Dec 06, 2012
afam4eva: I was listening to a brand expert on AIT yesterday and he was talking about human brands. He cited Nelson Mandela as the number one brand that South Africa has. And when they presenter asked him if Nigeria had a Human Brand and he answered in the affirmative but said that most of the brands are regional rather than National. Meaning that there's no single person that is loved by majority of Nigerians from different parts of the country and i agree with his sentiment.

If one mentions Nnamdi Azikiwe, the person has to complete it with Ahmadu Bello and Obafemi Awolowo. How come we don't have a Nationalistic figure?

That's easy.

[size=18pt]Herbert Macaulay[/size]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Herbert_Macaulay.jpg

Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 12:03pm On Dec 06, 2012
Efemena_xy:

That's easy.

[size=18pt]Herbert Macaulay[/size]

afam4eva:
He's one of the few leaders that were not seen from a tribal prism but we hear more about ZIK, Awo and Bello than we hear about him. Many people don't know much about him apart from the fact that he's on our currency.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by kingingkinging: 12:05pm On Dec 06, 2012
TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT SOME PEOPLE REPRESENT US ALL. FELA IS SYNONIMOUS TO NIGERIA IN MUSIC WHILE WOLE SOYINKA IS SYNONIMOUS TO NIGERIA IN LITERATURE.

SO WOLE /FELA ARE QUALIFIED. OYINBO SEF DEY CELEBRATE THE TWO MENTIONED GUYS.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking News......governor Wike Sacks All 23 LGA Chairmen In RIVERS STATE / What Does Lalasticlala Mean? / Nnamdi Kanu Goes Berserk In Court, Says ‘buhari Can’t Intimidate Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.