Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,203 members, 7,845,981 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? (7103 Views)

Military Not Sincere On Casualty Figure Of Sunday’s Attack – Borno Residents / N40 Pump Fuel Price Is My Figure, Not Buhari’s, Says David-west / NTA Is A National Disgrace And Public Money Blackhole. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by skullzflex(m): 12:13pm On Dec 06, 2012
I'll give it to FELA
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by pak: 12:15pm On Dec 06, 2012
Amongst those that are alive ,

Our national figures seem to be sportsmen.

They are the only ones whose names are met with approval in all the regions of the country, in the cities , villages et al and also outside Nigeria.

My pick of the pack - Of course [size=13pt]Augustine Azuka Okocha[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 06, 2012
afam4eva:
He's one of the few leaders that were not seen from a tribal prism but we hear more about ZIK, Awo and Bello than we hear about him. Many people don't know much about him apart from the fact that he's on our currency.
well, u dnt expect him to be popular when he died as at 1946 and thereafter,many tnz started happening in naija which were not related to him. Its between Herbert and Zik of Africa(he had the interest of d whole Africa in his head) , because dey truly fought for naija unity. If only dey knew dey were askin too much.....
Who mentioned Awolowo? Without sentiments, he was too one-sided and my govt textbook termed him 'tribalistic' like Tafawa Balewa. Next?
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Ozegbe(m): 12:18pm On Dec 06, 2012
i think GEJ is our national icon.....at least all nigerians talk about him.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Cutekid54: 12:27pm On Dec 06, 2012
Sunymoore: pyguru banned Sunymoore for http://
www.nairaland.com/978228/new-320gb-
external-hard-drive/5#13245296. Ban
expires at Today at 10:53:39 AM.
Pls pals, who is this pyguru. I dnt know y hates me, he ban me everysingle moment, sometime even just after posting something, i wonder how sharp dis guy is. I even follwed him in order to atleast reduce the ban he usually gives me, but its abrtive. One funny thing is that i never see a post or comment of him.
Finally am back, n i must fight him ASAP

lolz guy d dude bans me alot too
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by larrymoore(m): 12:28pm On Dec 06, 2012
Tafa balogun, james ibori, bode geoge, n othe smart guys.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Dec 06, 2012
Wendyslim: Mko , :' kiss kiss kiss

yeah, me thinkwink
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Dec 06, 2012
I think Fela Kuti is the man...

He's naija Bob Marley - and arguably the greatest artist ever out of Africa... The man was that talented...

However, Nigerians being Nigerians and their "holier than thou" nonsense will never celebrate the great man... They'll rather focus on his mistakes and chat shyte all day about them... undecided undecided
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by vicholas(m): 12:58pm On Dec 06, 2012
Awolowo
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Reelsteel: 1:20pm On Dec 06, 2012
BeraBera: I'm Ibo, but I will recommend the Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka any day any time

Fool is that how to spell Igbo.
Go and make sure you are not adopted...
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by searay(m): 1:27pm On Dec 06, 2012
National figure = Searay
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by oraclefemi(m): 1:37pm On Dec 06, 2012
For Justice, Gani Fawehinmi , for courage Fela
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by DeGrace01(m): 1:55pm On Dec 06, 2012
BeraBera: I'm Ibo, but I will recommend the Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka any day any time
You are from nowhere beause there is nothing like lbo, senseless idiot
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by vascey(m): 2:52pm On Dec 06, 2012
ROSSIKE:

There's absolutely nothing 'weird' about it. There are over 200 countries on earth. How many of them have a 'national icon' you can readily name?

Less than 10 I'm sure!

So what IS weird is having a 'national icon', not lacking one.

Spot on!
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Dec 06, 2012
Fela Anikulapo Kuti!!!

No man badder eyyyyyyyy na who born their father!!
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Dec 06, 2012
odumchi:

I za aga ole wuru onye Igbo? hapu the idiot ka okogheriwa ka onye egbuwara ishii
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by lawak: 3:26pm On Dec 06, 2012
vicholas: Awolowo

...and u r really sure of this?
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by vanminister: 4:31pm On Dec 06, 2012
PASTOR SUNDAY ADELAJA OF UKRAINE
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by emandman: 4:36pm On Dec 06, 2012
Sanni abacha...based on d fact that,he is most hated by all nigerians,even in death!
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by nagoma(m): 4:49pm On Dec 06, 2012
e mandman: Sanni abacha...based on d fact that,he is most hated by all nigerians,even in death!

Speak for yourself.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 06, 2012
jackbauersballs: FELA is a National Icon

And the Afrika Shrine has long been a place where Nigerians from all tribes, religions, and beliefs can come together to enjoy tha Kpoli

If that isn't Nationalistic enough, then I don't know what is... undecided

Point of correction sir, FELA's a yoruba icon, not national. If u're opportuned to step outside d western region, u'll find out that he does not command the same respect and godly reverence u yorubas seem o have for him. For heaven's sake, his lifestyle was not even worthy of emulation!
I think Prof. Wole Soyinka comes closest to the picture of a National figure...
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 6:14pm On Dec 06, 2012
Justosaus:

Point of correction sir, FELA's a yoruba icon, not national. If u're opportuned to step outside d western region, u'll find out that he does not command the same respect and godly reverence u yorubas seem o have for him. For heaven's sake, his lifestyle was not even worthy of emulation!
Fela was basically a Lagos icon and not Yoruba icon. His popularity was more pronounced in Lagos.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by ypzilanti: 6:24pm On Dec 06, 2012
Justosaus:

FELA is not a yoruba icon in any way. (Maybe you meant Pasuma wonder or some other fuji musician).Urban Nigerians from the age of 30 upwards love FELA...That is the demographic. The younger ones do not know the story behind the man, sha. Even GEJ of all people says he listens to FELA.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by iconaus: 7:41pm On Dec 06, 2012
Zik was the man but unfortunately nigeria tribalistic nature will not give it to Zik
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 06, 2012
the two national Nigerian figures recognizable anywhere internationally outside of Nigeria as Nigerian mouthpieces to be reckoned with are

1. Chinua Achebe
2. Wole Soyinka

Not necessary in that order
No one else

Another national icon( not so internationally) is the late Gani Fawehinmi
If you ever wanted to see a totally de tribalized Nigerian,it was he
He served humanity selflessly
He condemned evil wherever he saw it
While his people worshipped Tinubu,he called Tinubu by his real names
He stood up for the downtrodden
Took up cases defending the poor
He left an impeccable legacy in Nigeria too bad Nigeria does not know how to honor her true heros
Nigeria may never see a man like him again in centuries
This man gave out tons of scholarships to university students irrespective of religion or tribe and he did not blow trumpets while doing it
I am still waiting for Nigeria to honor his memory properly,There should be a monument or building in Abuja in his memory
rather than all these criminals they shove down our throats

Why is the airport in Lagos called Murtala Mohammed airport ,a coup plotter who died in another plotted coup ?
It should be charged to Gani Fawehinmi airport IMHO
Murtala is no hero
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by genxris: 9:22pm On Dec 06, 2012
donroxy: MKO Abiola is a national brand

sign of cross!!!

That one na for mouth, the same Abiola that you guys refused should be honoured with the change of UNILLAG in his name/memory...yoruba people just sabi make noise
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:03am On Dec 07, 2012
yes, we have.
The late Chief Gani Fawehinmi (senior advocate of the masses).
he fought for the entire masses of Nigeria. The most imprisoned human right activist in Nigeria.
Tried becoming the Nigerian president, but was rejected at the ballot boxes like Jesus. Those he came to save, rejected him with their votes. The cancer that eventually claimed his life was contacted under severe conditions during one of his numerous imprisonments. He stepped on powerful toes of IBB, Abacha, obasanjo e.t.c before his death.
He laid a good example for all youths unlike Fela, who also is close to been called a national figure.
Azikwe, Awolowo, Ahmadu fought for Nigeria's independence but were tribalistic in approach to certain national issues.
GANI is the man. He is a muslim, i'm a christian; but i love him passionately.
Presently, i reside in canada; but someday i will contribute my quota to nigeria and name it after this selfless, intelligent and fearless man. God help my dreams. AMEN.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by odumchi: 4:58am On Dec 07, 2012
XFive: Nwanne m ndaa? onye ohu abu gi Onye Igbo, o onye mba ovia

Nwa Aro di ele m, I mere aga ole?

O ma awu kwa na o za mba ovia na ezi.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:33am On Dec 07, 2012
Currently but unfortunately, Obasanjo seems to be the face of Nigeria, loll.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by CLIQBOY(m): 10:55am On Dec 07, 2012
Sunymoore: pyguru banned Sunymoore for http://
www.nairaland.com/978228/new-320gb-
external-hard-drive/5#13245296. Ban
expires at Today at 10:53:39 AM.
Pls pals, who is this pyguru. I dnt know y hates me, he ban me everysingle moment, sometime even just after posting something, i wonder how sharp dis guy is. I even follwed him in order to atleast reduce the ban he usually gives me, but its abrtive. One funny thing is that i never see a post or comment of him.
Finally am back, n i must fight him ASAP
u wan fight with spam bot ni?
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:10am On Dec 08, 2012
Some ppl dont evn understand wat a national figure means. A good person doesnt equqte to a national figure.
Re: Do We Have A National Figure In Nigeria? by CyberG: 7:56am On Dec 08, 2012
It is ibo or ibhoe or ibohoe you silly pedantic ighoes!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gov Aregbesola: Why New Slogan For Osun State? / Twelve Days In Office And Buhari's "Achievement" Part 2 / Northkorea Send Warning To Nigeria Over Mockery Of Their Leader -nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.