Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking (8266 Views)

Hilarious Tweet By Ben Murray-bruce & People Can't Stop Talking About It / Wike: 'I Wont Go Down Alone, If I Go Down Everyone Goes Down With Me' - Herald / I Won’t Stop Talking Of Corruption During Jonathan’s Govt—buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Ddaji(m): 5:01pm On Dec 06, 2012
Written by Yunus Abdulhamid Thursday, 06 December 2012 05:04

Central Bank governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi yesterday replied those who criticized him over his comments on the huge cost of governance, saying he will not stop speaking on the defects in the economy. Sanusi was reported to have said last week that with at least 70 per cent of government revenue being spent on the government itself, the economy will be better off if 50 per cent of workers were fired.

Since then he has been under sustained criticism from legislators and labour unions who even called for his sack.

But Sanusi, who was speaking at the Nigerian Economic Summit in Abuja, said yesterday that he will keep on making a case for changes that would see the cost of governance go down in spite of his critics.

He said his job was not to make anyone happy but to provide good fiscal and monetary policies.

“The day we stop to talk because of fear of what will be reported, it means this country is dead. My job is not to make people happy. If you are not happy, go to your wife,” he said.

He blamed the constitution for creating too many political offices which guzzle lots of public funds in salaries and emoluments.

“These are issues we have to address; they are political issues; as a country, we have a constitution that makes it impossible for us to develop,” he said.

“Salaries and wages are paid not just to civil servants. This is a country where we have 774 local government councils; in each council you have a chairman, a vice chairman and may be 10 councilors.

“Take a state like Kano. Kano used to be one state; it is now Kano and Jigawa; when it was one state, you had one governor, may be nine or 10 commissioners. Now what do you have? That one state has become two states, two governors, two deputy governors, 40 commissioners, and may be 80 legislators, only God knows how many special advisers and assistants.

“This is not about NLC or TUC or the president of the National Assembly; it is about us as a country deciding whether this constitution we have chosen makes sense.”

Sanusi spoke in reaction to a question from the audience during the debate on ‘Deregulation, Regulation, Cost of Financial Services, and Financial Inclusion’ at the last day of the economic summit, organized by the Nigerian Economic Summit Group.

He said it has become a tradition for the Nigerian media to sensationalise any public comments he made.

Sanusi’s remarks were filled with ‘ifs’, ‘whats’ and ‘whys’ which drew applauses from the audience.

On the constitution, he said, “The constitution says there must be a minister from every state. Let me ask, as educated and intelligent human beings, what is the connection between the number of states and ministers? If you have 50 states today, we have 50 ministries, you have 100 states, and you have 100 ministries? What kind of rubbish?”

The CBN governor said he believes government’s role is to take care of the people. “Now if the government is spending 70 percent of its revenue on itself, and 30 percent on the people, is sacking the Central Bank governor the solution? Now they are amending the constitution. Why do we need 500 legislators? And why is it that no Africa country has adopted this model of government?” he queried.

He said Nigeria’s greatest challenge, greater than corruption, lies in the promotion of mediocrity and sectionalism instead of merit.

“What kind of nonsense that a person due for promotion is denied on the basis of no vacancy to be filled from his state of origin? That could be done at the level of recruitment. We have been able to enthrone mediocrity.

“I have always said that the greatest challenge that we have in this country is that we do not give importance to merit. Forget corruption, go to China, they steal money. In Malaysia, there is corruption. They employ people who are qualified and know their job.”

He linked the violence across the country to poor management of the country by leaders. He said the textile industries in Kaduna and Kano used to employ over 600, 000 people but that now that they are out of jobs their children are out of school.

“We talk too much of where is this man from, what church he goes to. Rubbish! Rubbish! Why don’t we ask the right questions? How many megawatts of electricity are we generating? How many kilometers of roads have we built? What percentage of kids passes English and maths in schools in O’ level. We are not compelling the politicians to appoint people who can deliver. And I think, for me, there is a tragedy,” he said.www.dailytrust.com
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Nobody: 5:07pm On Dec 06, 2012
He is just talking now?

Sanusi before: Yorubas are the problem of Nigeria

Sanusi can go and die!! He brought no interest banking in the name of "islamic banking". And openly said it is for "muslims only"

Sanusi is a hypocrite and one of our problems as a nation!! Just another power hungry man! A power hungry man will get power drunk!

3 Likes

Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Ddaji(m): 5:55pm On Dec 06, 2012
@Olumide,i know you are a local yoruba man.let us assume sanusi says yoruba are problem of Nigeria.are they not problem of nigeria?.Sanusi is not a power hungry man,if you have short memory let me remind you to the face of senators he told them that,his name is SLS not CBN gov.and he is ready to quit the job.Tell me from the generation of oduduwa to date any yoruba man that ever made such bold statement about his job.My friend is a well known fact that yorubas are coward.

16 Likes

Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Lasinoh: 5:56pm On Dec 06, 2012
I think una say 'aboki' dem be mumus? grin
Like Ribadu, like El Rufai, like Sanusi!
Too bad most Northeners are not like 'em!
A better breed of Nigerians for sure! kiss

4 Likes

Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by ektbear: 10:32am On Dec 07, 2012
He spends a lot of time talking, but very little time working.

How is the Nigerian banking industry doing nowadays? I don't pay attention anymore to it, after I sold off my Access bank stock at a loss.
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by 3direct: 10:33am On Dec 07, 2012
if he continues to thinks by the inch and talks by the yard, then sanusi deserves to be kicked by the foot.

2 Likes

Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by 80million1: 10:33am On Dec 07, 2012
fifth
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by 80million1: 10:35am On Dec 07, 2012
*speechless*
He's free to speak, or is he not?
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 07, 2012
He should have read Law not Economics.
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by honeric01(m): 10:40am On Dec 07, 2012
Ddaji:

“The day we stop to talk because of fear of what will be reported, it means this country is dead. My job is not to make people happy. If you are not happy, go to your wife,” he said.

“Salaries and wages are paid not just to civil servants. This is a country where we have 774 local government councils; in each council you have a chairman, a vice chairman and may be 10 councilors.

“Take a state like Kano. Kano used to be one state; it is now Kano and Jigawa; when it was one state, you had one governor, may be nine or 10 commissioners. Now what do you have? That one state has become two states, two governors, two deputy governors, 40 commissioners, and may be 80 legislators, only God knows how many special advisers and assistants.

He said it has become a tradition for the Nigerian media to sensationalise any public comments he made.

On the constitution, he said, “The constitution says there must be a minister from every state. Let me ask, as educated and intelligent human beings, what is the connection between the number of states and ministers? If you have 50 states today, we have 50 ministries, you have 100 states, and you have 100 ministries? What kind of rubbish?”

The CBN governor said he believes government’s role is to take care of the people. “Now if the government is spending 70 percent of its revenue on itself, and 30 percent on the people, is sacking the Central Bank governor the solution? Now they are amending the constitution. Why do we need 500 legislators? And why is it that no Africa country has adopted this model of government?” he queried.

He said Nigeria’s greatest challenge, greater than corruption, lies in the promotion of mediocrity and sectionalism instead of merit.

“What kind of nonsense that a person due for promotion is denied on the basis of no vacancy to be filled from his state of origin? That could be done at the level of recruitment. We have been able to enthrone mediocrity.

“I have always said that the greatest challenge that we have in this country is that we do not give importance to merit. Forget corruption, go to China, they steal money. In Malaysia, there is corruption. They employ people who are qualified and know their job.”

He linked the violence across the country to poor management of the country by leaders. He said the textile industries in Kaduna and Kano used to employ over 600, 000 people but that now that they are out of jobs their children are out of school.

“We talk too much of where is this man from, what church he goes to. Rubbish! Rubbish! Why don’t we ask the right questions? How many megawatts of electricity are we generating? How many kilometers of roads have we built? What percentage of kids passes English and maths in schools in O’ level. We are not compelling the politicians to appoint people who can deliver. And I think, for me, there is a tragedy,” he said.www.dailytrust.com
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by cjotech: 10:40am On Dec 07, 2012
why are we all criticizing Sanusi for saying the truth

5 Likes

Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:41am On Dec 07, 2012
Sanusi you've got my back on this.....
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Callotti: 10:45am On Dec 07, 2012
He is a fearless Aboki too.
Could Soludo, the Abidjan coward make fiiiiim under OBJ?
WHOSAI!!!
Thanks to Sanusi, we know the GBESE-GBILLIONAIRES OF NIGERIA. . .oil blokos and all!!!! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Dee60: 10:46am On Dec 07, 2012
Until Nigeria starts working!!!
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Okijajuju1(m): 10:47am On Dec 07, 2012
Brilliant points made by Mr. Sanusi...

Sadly... This is Nigeria. Shiit can never change.
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by tpapi: 10:47am On Dec 07, 2012
Sorry to derail dis thread,pls is it possible to upload ones cv using bb phone,am filling an online recruitment form,wen it was time to upload d cv, I tried all my best but was not making any head,so if it is possible to upload a cv, I will need tips from nlanders,thank u
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by dridowu: 10:47am On Dec 07, 2012
I agree totally agree with SLS dat dos political apointe shd b sack. E.g Bayelsa state wit 163 political appointe
http://www.bayelsa.gov.ng/home/government/executive/political-appointees
and some of dos appointee wil also appoint dr own assistant
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by mychaella(f): 10:47am On Dec 07, 2012
Ddaji: @Olumide,i know you are a local yoruba man.let us assume sanusi says yoruba are problem of Nigeria.are they not problem of nigeria?.Sanusi is not a power hungry man,if you have short memory let me remind you to the face of senators he told them that,his name is SLS not CBN gov.and he is ready to quit the job.Tell me from the generation of oduduwa to date any yoruba man that ever made such bold statement about his job.My friend is a well known fact that yorubas are coward.
in your own underdeveloped mind, you've just made a point.
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Autotrader1: 10:49am On Dec 07, 2012
The first 3 comments on this thread shows exactly what Sanusi is saying....Nigeria can not develop!!! we just have too many morons living in that country. How on earth did anybody conenect what the man siad to tribalism? I have never been a fan of Sanusi but on this issue the guy is so right I don't even know what to say. If 70% of the country's revenue goes to the goverment thats leaves 30% for everything else. Anybody with half a brain should be able to comprehend that thats a recipe for stagnant growth yet all people here can see is that Sanusi na aboki. God help Nigeria!!!!

7 Likes

Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by ayoola2002(m): 10:50am On Dec 07, 2012
Why can't he talk to mr president that building another house for VP is waste of tax payers money?

He shd stop playing saint.
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Okijajuju1(m): 10:52am On Dec 07, 2012
tpapi: Sorry to derail dis thread,pls is it possible to upload ones cv using bb phone,am filling an online recruitment form,wen it was time to upload d cv, I tried all my best but was not making any head,so if it is possible to upload a cv, I will need tips from nlanders,thank u

Yeah you should be able to... Find the location of the CV on your Blackberry, then on the webpage, browse, locate the file and upload.. The speed of your network is another hinderance.
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Joey82(m): 10:54am On Dec 07, 2012
ekt_bear: He spends a lot of time talking, but very little time working.

How is the Nigerian banking industry doing nowadays? I don't pay attention anymore to it, after I sold off my Access bank stock at a loss.

and how's the banking industry doing globally?
or because u lost on ur stock sales (which is by the way a gamble business), the truth should not be told?
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by mascot87(m): 10:54am On Dec 07, 2012
Ddaji: @Olumide,i know you are a local yoruba man.let us assume sanusi says yoruba are problem of Nigeria.are they not problem of nigeria?.Sanusi is not a power hungry man,if you have short memory let me remind you to the face of senators he told them that,his name is SLS not CBN gov.and he is ready to quit the job.Tell me from the generation of oduduwa to date any yoruba man that ever made such bold statement about his job.My friend is a well known fact that yorubas are coward.
The most stupid comment i've ever heard in my whole life from an irresponsible op
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by chreldb(m): 10:55am On Dec 07, 2012
Perhaps SLS would be better of as an activist rather than a government official. If you look at it his critisms are always spot on but his policies are always questionable and unpopular. The cleaning of the bank sector led to massive job loss and reduced rate of employment, 5000 note proposal was highly nupopular among Nigerians likewise his support for subsidy removal. But on the flipside, criticism of 25 percent being spent on legislators, spot on. Critisism of too many government officials, spot on. Critisism on the federal character policy, also spot on. SLS you are betterr off as an activist. Just my thought.

2 Likes

Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Johnson6: 10:58am On Dec 07, 2012
all des sanusi is saying is a well kn fact.But,he is nt dif. 4m d politician because very soon he wl go and contest afta his tenure.bside he had gone 2 copy sum1 work again
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Aizebioje(m): 10:59am On Dec 07, 2012
Autotrader1: The first 3 comments on this thread shows exactly what Sanusi is saying....Nigeria can not develop!!! we just have too many morons living in that country. How on earth did anybody conenect what the man siad to tribalism? I have never been a fan of Sanusi but on this issue the guy is so right I don't even know what to say. If 70% of the country's revenue goes to the goverment thats leaves 30% for everything else. Anybody with half a brain should be able to comprehend that thats a recipe for stagnant growth yet all people here can see is that Sanusi na aboki. God help Nigeria!!!!
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Aizebioje(m): 11:00am On Dec 07, 2012
Autotrader1: The first 3 comments on this thread shows exactly what Sanusi is saying....Nigeria can not develop!!! we just have too many morons living in that country. How on earth did anybody conenect what the man siad to tribalism? I have never been a fan of Sanusi but on this issue the guy is so right I don't even know what to say. If 70% of the country's revenue goes to the goverment thats leaves 30% for everything else. Anybody with half a brain should be able to comprehend that thats a recipe for stagnant growth yet all people here can see is that Sanusi na aboki. God help Nigeria!!!!
AMEN!
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by moremoney4: 11:03am On Dec 07, 2012
Sanusi is the biggest fool to be a CBN governor. I cannot count how many people ask me for money everyday after they lost their job in the banking industry. Do Nigerians really have short memory. Sanusi want to save more money. Where is the money the CBN is saving from the removal of oil subsidy?, Where is the Abacha loot?, Where is the $10 million they made from OML 127 oil block on daily basis. Instead of him to concentrate on how to create more jobs and make the economy grow, he is busy talking nonsense. He need to go learn from Ben Bernanke who saved millions of Americans their job or go back to his village and give way for progress in our land.
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by demelza: 11:12am On Dec 07, 2012
I totally agree with the CBN governor. We run a very expensive democracy in this part of the world and its crippling us. How do we ever hope to be developed when we spend 70% of our budget paying goddamn salaries? How in the world can a nation join the G-20 in 2020 when only 30% of the budget is spent on capital projects?
Its frigging amusing & also sad when a common commissioner has special assistants, senior special assistants, senior assistants, special advisers, assistants in his payrole. If only a commissioner has this set of people advicing him, then imagine how many the governor has. Only a môrôn will need that amount of people to advice him on something that he could easily use his common sense to resolve. And I wont be surprised if most of them are môrons.
Nigeria is a freaking joke!

2 Likes

Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by Aizebioje(m): 11:15am On Dec 07, 2012
My job is not to make people happy. If you are not happy, go to your wife,” he said.
Lwkmd!
Why do we need 500 legislators?

“We talk too much of where is this man from, what church he goes to. Rubbish! Rubbish!
I have nothing but the tip of my heart 4 dhs man!
Where was He during the last presidential Election?
Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by djon78(m): 11:16am On Dec 07, 2012
Lasinoh: I think una say 'aboki' dem be mumus? grin
Like Ribadu, like El Rufai, like Sanusi!
Too bad most Northeners are not like 'em!
A better breed of Nigerians for sure! kiss

these men are rear breed indeed and i think sanusi or ribadu will make a good president for Nigeria they are no nonsense men and thats what we need in this country to move forward

1 Like

Re: Sanusi: I Wont Stop Talking by IleIfe2(m): 11:17am On Dec 07, 2012
Sanusi talks too much. his opinions and actions are mostly sentimental or emotional, that's why when he states the obvious truth, most people don't give a damn.
Sanusi is a douche-bag.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Approves $3.7bn To Transmit 20,000mw / Enugu Government To Restore State's Masterplan / Beautiful Areas In Awka You haven't Seen (photos And Video )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.