Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,212 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:26 AM

10 Things Never To Say To Your Child - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child (30379 Views)

Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Things You Should Never Say To Your Partner During A Fight / Things Never To Do When You End A Relationship. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 27, 2012
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Troll: 6:52pm On Dec 27, 2012
Errm, Not to rain on anyone's parade I think "Yoruba" women should put their tongues in check when trying to correct a child. I'm not saying other tribes don't do same but it's like many yoruba mothers are fond of this habit. It's not a common practice with the Yoruba men though (they are more tolerant even with a strict disciplinary attitude)
Like seriously the amount of Curses these women heap on their children is even more than what a potential enemy will want for them. There ain't no type of abuse and curse a lousy Yoruba woman won't heap on their child. Curses like "Olori buruku" "Omo ale jati jati" "Oloshi" "Se won sepe fun e" "wa shere" and all that are enough to torment an innocent kid till he/she grows up.
The funny thing is that this nonsensical attitude is passed on from generations to generations. In fact an igbo friend of mine once told me that the easiest way to understand the yoruba language is through their swears and abuses because they greet each other with them on a daily basis.
I even had to stop going to my cousin's house at a time because of the way his wife (a yoruba lady) torment their children with abuses. I hate being around a home where curses and abuses fly up and down, right, left and center like it's a normal culture.
The faster we learn how to adjust these bad habits the better it will be for the next generation.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by ifihearam: 6:52pm On Dec 27, 2012
Dolly-Parton:

My parents never used any of those words on us, and we all grew up to be responsible adults they are both proud of.

You dont need those words to train a child.
Mind u, my siblings and I are born and bred in naija, so it not about oyinbo anything.

Sharrrrraaaaaaaaaappp
Liar
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by ifihearam: 6:54pm On Dec 27, 2012
Dipwater:

I dey tell you.

The negative attitude. I hate the most is shouting at the kids and using commanding tone to talk to them as if they are in a military camp. No wonder some guys always use shouting to correct their wifes.

Ode
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by ifihearam: 6:56pm On Dec 27, 2012
Troll: Errm, Not to rain on anyone's parade I think "Yoruba" women should put their tongues in check when trying to correct a child. I'm not saying other tribes don't do same but it's like many yoruba mothers are fond of this habit. It's not a common practice with the Yoruba men though (they are more tolerant even with a strict disciplinary attitude)
Like seriously the amount of Curses these women heap on their children is even more than what a potential enemy will want for them. There ain't no type of abuse and curse a lousy Yoruba woman won't heap on their child. Curses like "Olori buruku" "Omo ale jati jati" "Oloshi" "Se won sepe fun e" "wa shere" and all that are enough to torment an innocent kid till he/she grows up.
The funny thing is that this nonsensical attitude is passed on from generations to generations. In fact an igbo friend of mine once told me that the easiest way to understand the yoruba language is through their swears and abuses because they greet each other with them on a daily basis.
I even had to stop going to my cousin's house at a time because of the way his wife (a yoruba lady) torment their children with abuses. I hate being around a home where curses and abuses fly up and down, right, left and center like it's a normal culture.
The faster we learn how to adjust these bad habits the better it will be for the next generation.

True. Ur head dey house today
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by cooltony09: 6:57pm On Dec 27, 2012
10 things you must say to ur child in 9ja...
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by creativemusic: 6:59pm On Dec 27, 2012
good grin grin grin grin
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by DollyParton1(f): 7:01pm On Dec 27, 2012
ifihearam:

Sharrrrraaaaaaaaaappp
Liar

Excuse me,do I know u?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sagamite(m): 7:04pm On Dec 27, 2012
huni_naija:

So because the Nigeria of now is different from the Nigeria of yesterday, we should then change our mode of discipline, no?? So when a child copies banana montana and thinks its alright to tell her dad, "i hate you dad, you're a monster" this said dad should just smile, and say " its alright dear, i know i'm a monster".. Because i have witnessed this countless of times with the western style mode of discipline...

We as africans need to stand our ground and raise our children the way we deem fit not because Nigeria is changing or becoming enlightened but because we value our deep rooted culture and want the best for our children. What is that even saying about us as parents to our children if we throw our culture and values aside because Nigeria is changing and accepting the western mode of principles?..

The way some people think sha... undecided

If you want your mode of discipline to work then ensure you really work hard restricting the western rubbish they watch right from a young age.

The western productions teaches Western values and instil Western mentality.

You might just end up with a child that slaps you, thinks you are stewpid for not letting her and her boyfriend have sex in the house at 14, and she is a vegetarian because she thinks eating meat is animal abuse.
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by toluene12: 7:11pm On Dec 27, 2012
Sagamite:

How?

Please explain to me.
prov. 18:21, besides you dont need to be religious to know that what you say about yourself matters a lot

So you think it is the child-rearing that makes them have more successful adults and better society?
The unit of a society is the family, and the functional state of a society refects the state of the family in that community.

4 major factors determines the personality of a child: heredity, interaction with physical and social environment, type of education he/she receive and parental upbringing(the most important)
A child's personality will affect:
how he relates to other people,
how he deals with problems,
how he organizes his thoughts and carries out tasks, and
what interests and motivates him.
Thus personality determines the eventual outcome of an individual in adult life
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by busayordench(m): 7:16pm On Dec 27, 2012
Thoughtful
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 27, 2012
#80million:
*speechless*

am i 2nd?
Pls tell me it ain't true!

@ post...
We need to always raise the confidence level of our children!

tongue
too bad. lol
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sagamite(m): 7:24pm On Dec 27, 2012
toluene12: prov. 18:21, besides you dont need to be religious to know that what you say about yourself matters a lot

Don't ever bring such rubbish to me again as evidence.

toluene12:
The unit of a society is the family, and the functional state of a society refects the state of the family in that community.

4 major factors determines the personality of a child: heredity, interaction with physical and social environment, type of education he/she receive and parental upbringing(the most important)
A child's personality will affect:
how he relates to other people,
how he deals with problems,
how he organizes his thoughts and carries out tasks, and
what interests and motivates him.
Thus personality determines the eventual outcome of an individual in adult life

You are one of those people that talk well and your write up looks eloquent but when it is analysed by those with intellect, it lacks logic and substance.

That is why I hate democracy because a foool might actually think someone like you is talking sense and people like you are allowed to contribute to decision-making.

Now let me educate you:

They have more successful adults not because of the way they raise kids but because they have more resources to raise the kids and do it in a more structured and sane society. In the same society, families with more what you funky people would call "bush" child-rearing, raise more successful adults with equal resources. Per head, the Asian, Chinese and even African parents raise more successful adults than their resource-level peers in the UK. They have superior behaved and successful kids.

The only obvious advantage funky parents have is they have more innovative kids. And academic research will tell you that "before you can get ONE good innovation, you will have many failed innovations". Hence for every innovative kid their style provides, there are several failed ones.

They have a better society because of the culture they have developed in their society. That is heavily dependent on leadership, structures and popular culture that has been instilled in their society AND, more importantly, it is a factor developed decades earlier while they used to have similar child-rearing approaches like the bush, unfunky Africans.

So don't attribute their successful adults and better society to their child raising approach. That is a recent phenomena that is looking more like it is likely to fail than be a success.
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by huninaija(f): 7:26pm On Dec 27, 2012
Sagamite:

If you want your mode of discipline to work then ensure you really work hard restricting the western rubbish they watch right from a young age.

The western productions teaches Western values and instil Western mentality.

You might just end up with a child that slaps you, thinks you are stewpid for not letting her and her boyfriend have sex in the house at 14, and she is a vegetarian because she thinks eating meat is animal abuse.

Your way of reasoning is illogical at best.. As long as you have instilled discipline into your child from a young age, whether or not they watch "western" styled TV programmes everyday or every hour, they will behave in the manner they know.. I have little cousins Who grew up on disney or "western" programmes and turned out fine, respect their parents and do as they're told etc

I have also witnessed children who don't even have a TV in their house but yet are still rude and disrespectful to there parents.. Where did they learn this mode of behaviour from? Parents are under an obligation to instil values into there child, if they can't do that, then nothing should come as a surprise when the child becomes unruly or ends up with ADD later on in life...

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Nobody: 7:33pm On Dec 27, 2012
Years back when we were still kids, my pop got angry wit my eldest bro one day,and remarked that his 2nd son will make it before the eldest and d eldest will struggle in life.

This has come to paSs many years later.
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sagamite(m): 7:36pm On Dec 27, 2012
huni_naija:

Your way of reasoning is illogical at best.. As long as you have instilled discipline into your child from a young age, whether or not they watch "western" styled TV programmes everyday or every hour, they will behave in the manner they know.. I have little cousins Who grew up on disney or "western" programmes and turned out fine, respect their parents and do as they're told etc

I have also witnessed children who don't even have a TV in their house but yet are still rude and disrespectful to there parents.. Where did they learn this mode of behaviour from? Parents are under an obligation to instil values into there child, if they can't do that, then nothing should come as a surprise when the child becomes unruly or ends up with ADD later on in life...

You are a foool!

Start learning that everyone, more so kids, is/are influenced by their environment. You are not the only one or thing raisinng your child. Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Snoop Dogg and peppa pig are raising them. The TV box is a co-parent in this day and age. They are programmed to take things in from their environment and process them in their brains based on differing personalities.

Don't ever in your dumb world think you are the sole or even the most influential element in shaping your kids views on life. There are many and it is a odds game. You will likely never be the only, or even the most respected, figure of authority and power in their lives who they will learn from.

The more you filter the environment to skew towards your desired taste, the better.

If you like, be daft and let them watch Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network all day, then grow into Glee, Gossip Girls, HollyOaks, Beverly Hills 90210, MTVBase etc, live in a white environment with white friends and then you wonder why they are the way they are.
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sagamite(m): 7:37pm On Dec 27, 2012
fonzie2u: Years back when we were still kids, my pop got angry wit my eldest bro one day,and remarked that his 2nd son will make it before the eldest and d eldest will struggle in life.

This has come to paSs many years later.

And your point is?
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by DollyParton1(f): 7:41pm On Dec 27, 2012
Easy Sagamite!
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sagamite(m): 7:44pm On Dec 27, 2012
Dolly-Parton:
Easy Sagamite!

It pisses me off when people that have the slightest clue about an issue can open their mouth to JUDGE I am illogical.

In her entire life, she would not have the logic proficiency I had when I was 6 years old.
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by didoburns(m): 7:46pm On Dec 27, 2012
Im in my late 20s and the No 2 point is something im dealing with up till now
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by huninaija(f): 7:55pm On Dec 27, 2012
Sagamite:

You are a foool!

Start learning that everyone, more so kids, is/are influenced by their environment. You are not the only one or thing raisinng your child. Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Snoop Dogg and peppa pig are raising them. The TV box is a co-parent in this day and age. They are programmed to take things in and process them in their brains based on differing personalities.

Don't ever in your dumb world think you are the sole or even the most influential element in shaping your kids views on life. There are many and it is a odds game. You will unlikely never be the only, or even the most respected, figure of authority and power in their lives who they will learn from.

The more you filter the environment to skew towards your desired taste, the better.

If you like, be daft and let them watch Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network all day, then grow into Glee, Gossip Girls, HollyOaks, Beverly Hills 90210, MTVBase etc, live in a white environment with white friends and then you wonder why they are the way they are.

You are a nonsensical wimp, without any iota of sense or reason, no wonder you spew up the rubbish you just wrote with your idiotic reasoning! Just because you had an absentee father and a hoe for a mother that let her gigolo raise you doesn't mean others reason the way you do.

Open your myopic mind for a minute and come out of the sheet hole your used to, there are still people who instil discipline into there children, and will certainly not allow a TV of all illogical things to raise there child... I wouldn't expect you to understand that as your I.Q seems to be lower than that of a horses..

Refrain from having children it will do the world some good to be free of more psychopaths and backward thinking ashi's you coon...

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by DollyParton1(f): 7:56pm On Dec 27, 2012
Grabbing some pop-corn and soda..
Its game night cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sagamite(m): 8:01pm On Dec 27, 2012
huni_naija:

You are a nonsensical wimp, without any iota of sense or reason, no wonder you spew up the rubbish you just wrote with your idiotic reasoning! Just because you had an absentee father and a hoe for a mother that let her gigolo raise you doesn't mean others reason the way you do.

Open your myopic mind for a minute and come out of the sheet hole your used to, there are still people who instil discipline into there children, and will certainly not allow a TV of all illogical things to raise there child... I wouldn't expect you to understand that as your I.Q seems to be lower than that of a horses..

Refrain from having children it will do the world some good to be free of more psychopaths and backward thinking ashi's you coon...

You are a person!

Is this the vulgar discipline your father and mother taught you?

Who is in a shyt hole then? Cretin!

Awon hoodrat skanks!

Fcking ediot wrote all this and did not even make one single point about what I said except the point that her parents raised rubbish!

person! grin
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by BodyKiss(m): 8:07pm On Dec 27, 2012
IYA NGBALI: My parents said a lot of bad things than all these to me,I no die o,abeg make we here word jo all dis oyinbo theory no dey work for here

If only you could ask God to show you what a better person you could've been if those words weren't used on you by your parents.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by huninaija(f): 8:11pm On Dec 27, 2012
Sagamite:

You are a person!

Is this the vulgar discipline your father and mother taught you?

Who is in a shyt hole then? Cretin!

Awon hoodrat skanks!

Fcking ediot wrote all this and did not even make one single point about what I said except the point that her parents raised rubbish!

person! grin

Who the feck is this deluded lunatic? You coon a.s.s slave.. I don't recall mentioning your cursed username in my post? Did i? Its a shame your parents didn't teach you any manners whatsoever, no wonder your absentee father rejected you. Teach your psychotic mind how to address people, never in your useless life quote me and dare use your accursed fingers to quote me!!!

Yet this is the same fool that's telling me how to raise a child? What an irony!! Lmao... People like you deserve to be ostracised away from normal thinking people, your likes deserve to be locked up in a strait jacket in the halls of a mental institution... Undergo a vasectomy of the mouth, brain and balls...

Fecking demented fool!! *tufia*

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sagamite(m): 8:14pm On Dec 27, 2012
huni_naija:

Fck Lawd!

These (huni_naija, mondi_cheeks, Sleek05, shaybe_baby, sinie, Shollypopz etc) are the average girls we are raising in Nigeria?

We are imperially fcked! undecided
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by huninaija(f): 8:15pm On Dec 27, 2012
Sagamite:

Fck Lawd!

These (huni_naija, mondi_cheeks, Sleek05, shaybe_baby, sinie, Shollypopz etc) are the average girls we are raising in Nigeria?

We are imperially fcked! undecided

Your whole life is fecked!! You foolish coon...

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sagamite(m): 8:16pm On Dec 27, 2012
huni_naija:

Who the feck is this deluded lunatic? You coon a.s.s slave.. I don't recall mentioning your cursed username in my post? Did i? Its a shame your parents didn't teach you any manners whatsoever, no wonder your absentee father rejected you. Teach your psychotic mind how to address people, never in your useless life quote me and dare use your accursed fingers to quote me!!!

Yet this is the same fool that's telling me how to raise a child? What an irony!! Lmao... People like you deserve to be ostracised away from normal thinking people, your likes deserve to be locked up in a strait jacket in the halls of a mental institution... Undergo a vasectomy of the mouth, brain and balls...

Fecking demented fool!! *tufia*

You are person!

What my parentd taught me is far better and superior to what your parents thought you, you classless skank!

My advise to you is not to raise your daughter to be like you. You will ruin her life!

Yet again, your dumb arsse has no point to make. Dumb shyt!
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sagamite(m): 8:19pm On Dec 27, 2012
huni_naija:

Your whole life is fecked!! You foolish coon...

Illiterate person, stop using a word if you don't know the meaning.

Except your moronic arsse is non-black, you cannot primarily call someone a coon. person! grin grin grin

Awon useless hoodrats! grin
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by huninaija(f): 8:20pm On Dec 27, 2012
Sagamite:

You are person!

What my parentd taught me is far better and superior to what your parents thought you, you classless skank!

My advise to you is not to raise your daughter to be like you. You will ruin her life!

Yet again, your dumb arsse has no point to make. Dumb shyt!

Hahahahaha, the poor vagabond can't even spell, yet this is the same demon that plans on having children, wonders shall never end! You're w.h.o.r.e of a mama failed you in this life, its a pity!! You better undergo that vasectomy before its too late, you psychotic banshee!

1 Like

Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by huninaija(f): 8:22pm On Dec 27, 2012
Sagamite:

Illiterate person, stop using a word if you don't know the meaning.

Except your moronic arsse is non-black, you cannot primarily call someone a coon. person! grin grin grin

Awon useless hoodrats! grin

I can call you what the feck i want, you should be used to it anyways as your whole life has been one full of abuse.. Don't see why you're complaining you plontoon...

Get that vasectomy asap!
Re: 10 Things Never To Say To Your Child by Sagamite(m): 8:25pm On Dec 27, 2012
huni_naija:

Hahahahaha, the poor vagabond can't even spell, yet this is the same demon that plans on having children, wonders shall never end! You're w.h.o.r.e of a mama failed you in this life, its a pity!! You better undergo that vasectomy before its too late, you psychotic banshee!

person, stop talking about you mother like that. grin

Maybe if she slapped you a bit more, you would have more respect for her.

huni_naija:

I can call you what the feck i want, you should be used to it anyways as your whole life has been one full of abuse.. Don't see why you're complaining you plontoon...

Get that vasectomy asap!

person, get a dictionary, an education and don't have kids. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ex-naval Captain, Wife Fight Over Son’s Custody (photo) / 6 Ways To Make Your Home More Appealing To Visitors / Guys, Can You Marry A Single Mother? Single Mothers, what are your experiences?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.