Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,093 members, 7,818,278 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (660455 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 09, 2013
cyrielo: whats the besr laptops to use for programming apart from apple considering the price? embarassed
Any lappie can do, but stay away from netbooks. Apple is quite good for objective c.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by funkymeky: 1:05am On Apr 10, 2013
I know a little abt c++. Atleast I'm able to write any mathematically formular wit c++ and also using my written formular to solve mathematical problem... But I want to learn python programming, I don't rili know if learning python will be difficult for me o cos I'm still learnin d c++ and I'm still a beginner although I know d basic of c++ very well... Pls I nid advice... I want to know if I can be able to learn python.. Pls I nid ur response.. Thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by masagoody(m): 6:48am On Apr 10, 2013
The Writer:
Any lappie can do, but stay away from netbooks. Apple is quite good for objective c.
do u mean laptop minis? Like those small laptops without CD ROMs? What's their limitation?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Zackmr22: 4:33pm On Apr 12, 2013
i want to learn too someone help me
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 5:09pm On Apr 12, 2013
Zackmr22: i want to learn too someone help me

Help you with what?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ayohbk(m): 5:47pm On Apr 14, 2013
ma people in the house.....av bin tryin to download jdk7u17 on ma system and everytime i download it and try to install it also gives an error ...sayin "jdk7u17 windows-x64 is not a valid windows 32 app"...av tried dis mor than 5 times and it always give d same error....pls wats d soln to dis problem cos its just wasting ma mb.....i also downloaded netbeans 7.3 but it is asking for jdk to be installed on the system to complete d installation......thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 6:22pm On Apr 14, 2013
Ayo_hbk: ma people in the house.....av bin tryin to download jdk7u17 on ma system and everytime i download it and try to install it also gives an error ...sayin "jdk7u17 windows-x64 is not a valid windows 32 app"...av tried dis mor than 5 times and it always give d same error....pls wats d soln to dis problem cos its just wasting ma mb.....i also downloaded netbeans 7.3 but it is asking for jdk to be installed on the system to complete d installation......thanks

most likely the downloaded file is broken. what browser/download manager do you us?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ayohbk(m): 6:47pm On Apr 14, 2013
ciphoenix:

most likely the downloaded file is broken. what browser/download manager do you us?
i use google chrome
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 8:15pm On Apr 14, 2013
Ayo_hbk: ma people in the house.....av bin tryin to download jdk7u17 on ma system and everytime i download it and try to install it also gives an error ...sayin "jdk7u17 windows-x64 is not a valid windows 32 app"...av tried dis mor than 5 times and it always give d same error....pls wats d soln to dis problem cos its just wasting ma mb.....i also downloaded netbeans 7.3 but it is asking for jdk to be installed on the system to complete d installation......thanks

That means you are not using an x64 version of windows. Download the 32 bit version...
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ayohbk(m): 8:43pm On Apr 14, 2013
Javanian:

That means you are not using an x64 version of windows. Download the 32 bit version...
my os is win 7 home basic .....64 bit......and on the list of the jdk downloads on the oracle web....there are only two versions for windows, thats x86 and x64,,,,there is no x32
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 14, 2013
Ayo_hbk:
my os is win 7 home basic .....64 bit......and on the list of the jdk downloads on the oracle web....there are only two versions for windows, thats x86 and x64,,,,there is no x32
_
No, see x86 is 32-bit, while x64 is 64-bit. Confusing, I know.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ayohbk(m): 9:34pm On Apr 14, 2013
SimonAndal:
_
No, see x86 is 32-bit, while x64 is 64-bit. Confusing, I know.
aiit...but the thing is ma system is a 64 bit os....i tried downloading the x86 bit once even though i didnt compleete the download, i tried opening it buh it gave the same "not valid win 32 app error"
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Apr 14, 2013
Delete the old file and try again. This time get the x64 version.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 14, 2013
Make sure you complete the download o!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ayohbk(m): 10:01pm On Apr 14, 2013
SimonAndal: Make sure you complete the download o!
kk.....i'll try downloading it again........thanks
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 12:22am On Apr 15, 2013
Ayo_hbk:
i use google chrome

google chrome gives false "download complete" notifications sometimes. compare the size of your downloaded file and that stated on the site and you'll discover you're probably missing some megabytes. try using a download manager (preferably internet download manager) or a browser with a good download manager e.g. Opera.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by DharkPoet(m): 8:16pm On Apr 15, 2013
good day all in here. well Im new to Java, but there's this thing that most of the ebooks I got are saying 'for proper and better understanding, reader should have prior knowledge in at least one programming language'. though I got sufficient understanding on Html/CSS (yeah I know that they are not programming languages). so I googled and found out that Java syntax is kinda related to that of php. so I've Decided to give Java a break and do php. at least that would ease up things a little bit. so 9ja programmers, is dis a nice move? your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Ayohbk(m): 10:39pm On Apr 15, 2013
ciphoenix:

google chrome gives false "download complete" notifications sometimes. compare the size of your downloaded file and that stated on the site and you'll discover you're probably missing some megabytes. try using a download manager (preferably internet download manager) or a browser with a good download manager e.g. Opera.
SimonAndal: Delete the old file and try again. This time get the x64 version.
thanks to you two ...i got it downloaded hitch free ........the internet download manager was really helpful and fast ....
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Apr 15, 2013
Kudos!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Feraz(m): 12:00am On Apr 18, 2013
Whew! Finally, last page! I must say kudos to y'all here that have taken your precious time to contribute this kinda thread. Well, I started by getting a dev c++ compiler and started learning but lost interest...don't know why...probably I got frustrated somewhere...then I joined an online class by MIT using Python to code... Infact, I think I'm just confused sad. All the same, thanks for bringing this thread.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by stanliwise(m): 8:27am On Apr 18, 2013
To make things easier .
you have to choose what you want at the moment.
is it desktop or web programming ?
if desktop - start with visual BASIC (beginner all symbolic instruction code) cause it give u all the tip and explanation. and after dat you head onto java, c++,c#.

If web programmig - start with
html - site construction
css-design and coloration
javascript- bring a site to live e.g clock, alert, calendar
php- advanced web programming for site forum, chat, download & upload.

MAKE A CHOICE TODAY AND CHOOSE A PATH AND PART IN LIFE AND DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO CAUSE YOU AREA NOT GETTING ANY YOUNGER AND LET MOVE FORWARD.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by youngmoneyeze: 7:01pm On Apr 24, 2013
WHICH UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA ARE GOOD IN COMPUTER SCIENCE
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by stanliwise(m): 4:12pm On Apr 25, 2013
youngmoneyeze: WHICH UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA ARE GOOD IN COMPUTER SCIENCE
None.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 12:21am On Apr 26, 2013
stanliwise:
None.

HARSH grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 5:00am On Apr 26, 2013
youngmoneyeze: WHICH UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA ARE GOOD IN COMPUTER SCIENCE
Massachusetts Institute of Technology. ....Oh, wait, it's not in Nigeria.

I'm afraid the answer is ZERO!!!!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by loyaltyforever: 8:32pm On Apr 29, 2013
What course in IT is very lucrative and not time consuming
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 8:52pm On Apr 29, 2013
loyaltyforever: What course in IT is very lucrative and not time consuming

Sleeping at home

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Afam4eva(m): 9:11pm On Apr 29, 2013
Javanian:

Sleeping at home
Lol
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by kobikwelu(m): 9:38pm On Apr 29, 2013
As per the above topic...i would say there is no silver bullet to this issue.
The key being the field of programming is very wide...and at best one can learn any language at a time..its all about determination.....and most importantly, practice...

My first introduction to programming was c++..did a couple of practice questions on the DOS screen, but after a while became bored and bailed...

Fast forward years later..i got introduced to visual-basic and the next year was ushered into advanced c#....

I opted out of java classes to learn the language on my own!! and i have never looked back..

My suggestion is to learn some c++....to grasp the initial OOPs concepts then you can progress to java or C#......

When i was about graduating, the fellow who was an agent told me....The JAVA field is easy for foreigners..(Indians and others), but C# is saturated with the locals (In this case them being Americans)...i decided to stick with Java and i must say...IT was an excellent choice..
The language (Java) is popular and this helps with beginners as there will be no shortage of resources to learn and practice from.

My advice, take advantage of the many video tutorials that are out there....

To be an all around programmer..these are the select languages you should have some basic understanding of

Sql-sql or some variations of it i.e T-SQL, PL/SQL, HQL (Hibernate queried language)
Middle-tier---JAVA/C# (More than 90% of programs run on either one of these)
Front-end - HTML, Ajax ...JavaScript, Flex. (My worst of all the tiers..this should be left to graphic designers, but these days, Hiring managers are deceptively cramping this into requirements for Developers...NOT FAIR cry)

LASTLY some scripting (Powershell)...

No one says you have to be a guru in all these languages simultaneously..but for you to build a working app, some basic knowledge of all these would help you navigate through the maze and also help you understand integration issues in a distributed environment.

For those who are interested in some Java, indicate and i would be more than happy to do some mentoring....

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 3:18am On Apr 30, 2013
Javanian:

Sleeping at home
lmao grin grin
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by lordZOUGA(m): 9:42am On Apr 30, 2013
Javanian:

Sleeping at home
Damn

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.