Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,102 members, 7,811,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (659300 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by talk2hb1(m): 3:39pm On May 15, 2013
bigdot1759: please how can i learn this python
Go to this site to download free video tutorial on Java, C#, PHP, python, etc www.thenewboston.org
There is more to learning programming than reading e-books or watching video tutorials, You need a programming mentor someone who writes softwares for a livig. Your mentor is not your teacher mind you, what you need from your mentor is just progress guide, assesment and advice. This will help you to learn programming faster and better.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 10:38pm On May 15, 2013
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Crisnite(m): 2:54am On May 16, 2013
ibnquasale: i am a very confused person when it comes to choosing an "appropriate" programming language............
i know little of PHP, Python, CSS, Mysql (through video tutorials). one of my main challenge is i don't know what to do with them, especially after learning the basis.....
thanks in advance.
My advice to u is while u r learnin any programmin lang., don't wait till the end of the tutorial to practice what u've learnt. Instead, get d IDE for that particular programmin lang n as u learn u practice also. If they type 'a' (in d tutorial), u also type 'a', whatever is done do it immediately n in no time u wld see that u've coded something n more ideas wld come. Goodluck

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by tkcent4great: 4:05am On May 16, 2013
'COMING UP WITH THE BIG IDEA' by Mike Archer at 02 Academy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAMuB4-2S_U
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by kambo(m): 12:18am On May 17, 2013
2s£xy:
I heard learning programming between age 25-30 is waste of time because people at that age cant grasp these launguage mentally as their brains are wreak lol... So anybody close to 30 cant learn programming? My friend is interested but this is what he said he heard.

He is reading this . So guys, whats your take?

sittg @ d computer wen he shud b poundg d streets job seekg, or on a job, or raisg a family looks CHILDSH esp since for some years he maynt b able to show d fruits of wat he's learng. If he can overcom ds psychc block its okay.
30yrs frm now he mayb greatful...
Programg is a MINDSET , it transcends the language tool. And its an unnatural MINDSET CUZ ITs positve, a negative mindset is easier to acquire.
Creator of bcpl , and B, (error prone) is still actve , bcpl is d predecessor to d poplar c lang.
Ur contribution is wat others will build on.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by malign(m): 7:26pm On May 18, 2013
Javanian: HTML

HyperText Markup Language (HTML) is the main markup language for displaying web pages and other information that can be displayed in a web browser. HTML is the language of the web. Every other scripting language runs on HTML. HTML is NOT a Programming Language.

Where can i learn HTML?

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/html/index.htm

http://w3schools.com/html/default.asp

http://www.quackit.com/html/tutorial/

http://www.html.net/tutorials/html/

http://www.echoecho.com/html.htm

http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/

Ebooks

www.tutorialspoint.com/html/html_pdf_version.htm

www.zircon.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/dl/lessons.pdf

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4B51C3288CBE0D38

You should probably read http://w3fools.com before recommending w3schools/tizag.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 8:31pm On May 18, 2013
^^
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by malign(m): 1:18pm On May 19, 2013
ibnquasale:
are u suggesting that i start with C++?

C++ started out as an extension to C. It rapidly became something of a red-haired stepchild by expanding so much so that one can't really "learn C++" in its current entirety.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a first language. Languages, like Python, Ruby, then Prolog, Scheme/Lisp are ones to look out for, seeing as how they'll teach you certain good programming practices, and tend not to overwhelm in the way that C++ does.

There's so much documentation out there for all of the above. Most of all, just enjoy it.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by malign(m): 1:23pm On May 19, 2013
2s£xy:
I heard learning programming between age 25-30 is waste of time because people at that age cant grasp these launguage mentally as their brains are wreak lol... So anybody close to 30 cant learn programming? My friend is interested but this is what he said he heard.

He is reading this . So guys, whats your take?

This holds no water. Whilst children assimilate things like sponges, and adult minds are more rigid to learning new things (consider real world languages, sports, mathematics), I don't think it's very difficult to learn how to program. Programming, like most other disciplines require deliberate practice. And, whether a child, or an adult, 10,000 hours of deliberate practice should put you in a very elite league.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 19, 2013
Thank you... He has seen all your responses.

malign:

This holds no water. Whilst children assimilate things like sponges, and adult minds are more rigid to learning new things (consider real world languages, sports, mathematics), I don't think it's very difficult to learn how to program. Programming, like most other disciplines require deliberate practice. And, whether a child, or an adult, 10,000 hours of deliberate practice should put you in a very elite league.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 10:11am On May 20, 2013
Let me add that simplicity is the key...
malign:

The people that designed that website need to learn how to separate content and style before teaching it to others.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by malign(m): 3:21pm On May 20, 2013
2s£xy:
Let me add that simplicity is the key...

Simplicity is rarely, if ever, simple to implement.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by bigdot1759(m): 10:13am On May 21, 2013
Javanian: I will try as much as possible to make this article as simple as possible

BRANCHES OF PROGRAMMING

1. Embedded Systems

2. Desktop applications

3. Web Applications

4. Mobile Applications

5. Console applications
pls i want to start using php & i've try to download it from their official site but i don't know which O.S that'll be ok for it
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ciphoenix: 6:01pm On May 23, 2013
^^^ this fellow needs to be banned forever angry angry
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nik08: 8:34pm On May 24, 2013
Start here www.codeacademy.com

Really helpful site.. smiley
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cyrielo(m): 10:42am On May 28, 2013
talk2hb1:
Go to this site to download free video tutorial on Java, C#, PHP, python, etc www.thenewboston.org
There is more to learning programming than reading e-books or watching video tutorials, You need a programming mentor someone who writes softwares for a livig. Your mentor is not your teacher mind you, what you need from your mentor is just progress guide, assesment and advice. This will help you to learn programming faster and better.
how do you download thos videos it seems u can only watch them online.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ymiller4real: 9:27am On May 30, 2013
@javanian Pls can you give me ur phone number?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by NonFarmPayrol: 11:17am On May 30, 2013
How to build android apps

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by mimikemyght: 11:23am On May 30, 2013
[mike: BRAND NEW 160GB SLIM PS3 CONSOLE 50K
BRAND NEW 320GB SLIM PS3 CONSOLE 55K
BRAND NEW 500GB SUPER-SLIM BUNDLE WITH ASSASSIN'S
CREED-3 60k
BRAND NEW SONY SIXAXIS PAD 6K
NEW PS3 WIRELESS HEADSET 8K
NEW PS3 REMOTE 8K
NEW PS3 MOVE CAMERA 15K
NEW XBOX360 KINECT 28K
PS VITA 8GB MEMORY CARD 7K
Most of all latest Games
*Fifa13
*Pes13
*Assassin's creed3
*WWE13
*NBA2K13
*Farcry3
*Naruto Shipudden
*Need for speed-most wanted
*Call of duty Black ops2
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by youngmoneyeze: 12:58pm On May 30, 2013
how do u deliver that Nigeria university can not taught programmer, is not the problem of the lecture, is the problem of the student whom think about what is goingon in foreign countries like usa and china u can do so in ur country. Nigeria student are not willing to learn focus u will be good programmer, don't think is every thing the lecture will teaches u. try to apply ur own sense.
schools like futo, unilag, ui,oau can lecture more better than foreign university.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by princeelder: 5:08pm On May 31, 2013
Get your own BulkSMS Website Within 24 Hours N10,000 only and buy sms as low as 0.70kobo
With:
Free User Guide, Free ebook on how to get over 2000bulksms
Free 500 Units
Free GSM Number Database of your state
We will give you free coaching to make money from the sms industry
visit www.smswholesellers.com, 08140970926
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by pisolution(m): 7:04pm On Jun 02, 2013

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.