Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,761 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? - Programming (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? (659427 Views)

As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning / Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (165) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by nerdicusprimus(m): 9:03am On Jun 03, 2013
webdezzi: I still wonder why the powerful Actionscript is not listed.

Python.
Python is a Rapid Application Development(RAD) language which lets you write complex software with less codes.
It is made juicier with the arrays of available modules that makes your programming life fun, easy and exciting.
As a developer, if you pick up python and dedicate say 2 weeks to learning it, You wont go back.

Python is not only addictive but also clean and organized. You can read through source codes written in python and you know what they do right a way.
the syntax design is near perfect as it lets you code without thinking of ending every line with semi-colons, no dollar signs, no var, Dim or the likes.
Python developers here can add theirs.

I second this cheesy[color=#990000][/color]. Python's syntax is so clean that other languages are copying it. Think CoffeeScript and many of EcmaScript 5 and 6's features.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by sealteam66(m): 7:11am On Jun 05, 2013
@javaian my name is sealteam66, every bin laden that will mitigate against successful programming with be massacred please I would like us to be friends.I have being unable to get a good paying job. The last one I got is Aircraft Attendant which payed me 32k but I need a salary of around 100k that why I entered in to programming.

Your tutorial

Javanian: JAVA

Official Tutorial from Oracle:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

More

wasn't helpful or am I wrong ( please advice)

however
Javanian: JAVA
http://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/index.htm
Look useful infact am practising it right now

As I am using your materials, I also enrolled at New Horizon to be Oracle Certified. Please accept my friend invite

Regards
Sealteam66
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by sealteam66(m): 8:47pm On Jun 07, 2013
@Javanian, you post is really helpful. I haven't started java lessons yet and I am filling confident

your post

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/index.htm

is very helpful, very soon since discovering the bufferedReader I will be developing applications

God bless you
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jun 08, 2013
The story would never end because there is a lot to learn in programming.....so the best thing to do is to start practicing it on the computer under the watchful eyes of a programmer....besides,for the lagosians here I would advice you to go to ikeja and learn because they are lots of programmers there who didnt even take any lesson on programming and yet they are expert and teachers of undergraduates....this is due to experience and practice which are the best teachers...all these theories wont really help without actual application of your own hands and brain on it.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Princessmel(f): 3:07am On Jun 09, 2013
Any good books you can recommend for me to learn java? Ta x
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by obioraval(m): 6:53pm On Jun 10, 2013
Princessmel: Any good books you can recommend for me to learn java? Ta x

1. Java How to Program by Deitel and Deitel
2. Sams Teach yourself java6 in 21 days.
3. Introduction to Programming Using Java by David J Eck
4. Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel

Thank you

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Princessmel(f): 8:41pm On Jun 10, 2013
obioraval:

1. Java How to Program by Deitel and Deitel
2. Sams Teach yourself java6 in 21 days.
3. Introduction to Programming Using Java by David J Eck
4. Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel

Thank you

Thanks love smiley

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by obioraval(m): 3:35am On Jun 11, 2013
Princessmel:

Thanks love smiley

i could give them to you depending on your location. *winks*
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Manus17(m): 10:15am On Jun 12, 2013
Am a computer sci student..all wat we do in our sch is just to write 'C' program to do dis or that e.g find d radius of circle or to design a simple calculator etc..after that we just write d code @dev c++ or codeblocks..and complile then run..finish...i knw abt c++,and a bit of java and python..how can i use dis program to create an apps.thank u
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by cyrielo(m): 3:18pm On Jun 12, 2013
Manus17: Am a computer sci student..all wat we do in our sch is just to write 'C' program to do dis or that e.g find d radius of circle or to design a simple calculator etc..after that we just write d code @dev c++ or codeblocks..and complile then run..finish...i knw abt c++,and a bit of java and python..how can i use dis program to create an apps.thank u
me wondering too I can write c++ program that convert dog years to human years and simple trivia questions. but when the program is running its just like a command line
black background. how do u do the GUI stuffs and porting the app into other platforms not only windows. angry
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by gentlelexis: 3:36pm On Jun 18, 2013
I've always dreamt of being a software engineer or programer, but av always been confronted with this question:
What employment opportunities are open to programmers in Nigeria?
I don't want to spend my time learning something I can't make a dime from;(If u knw wht I mean).
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Javanian: 10:49pm On Jun 18, 2013
gentlelexis: I've always dreamt of being a software engineer or programer, but av always been confronted with this question:
I don't want to spend my time learning something I can't make a dime from;(If u knw wht I mean).

pls stay away from programming..

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by gentlelexis: 10:56pm On Jun 18, 2013
Which is the best language for someone who wants to develop an all in one chat application for mobile phones; Windows and Android to start with?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by kudaisi(m): 11:13am On Jun 21, 2013
You want to learn programming quick and start earning money quick enough ?... Web programming is the answer and i suggest PHP for starters then you can gradually graduate to JAVA for more high end web applications.

Do you have a particular interest in Desktop application ?...... is suggest Java reason being that gives better insight to the definition of object oriented programming and thus makes it easy to learn other more programming languages you might want to migrate to in the future (Thanks to Java i found learning C#, C, C++, PHP and Python pretty less tiring). Plus with a sound knowledge in JAVA "you fit just vex decide to write application for android or Blackberry when you need to)

Although, I strongly suggest that you learn C/C++ eventually cause you'll soon get to find out (In your cause of programming) that everything revolves around them for more serious projects.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by kudaisi(m): 11:20am On Jun 21, 2013
gentlelexis: I've always dreamt of being a software engineer or programer, but av always been confronted with this question:

You didn't dream of becoming a software engineer or programmer if not you wont be thing about the monetary aspects from the start, I made my first cash from programming after 5 years of intensive reading and programming and I didn't even notice I wasn't getting paid. Plus real IT enthusiast don't worry about employment...Mark Zuckerberg didn't, Bill Gate didn't, Steve Jobs didn't as well. So bro, you're in the wrong place. Try next door or rearrange your priorities.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by kudaisi(m): 11:29am On Jun 21, 2013
gentlelexis: Which is the best language for someone who wants to develop an all in one chat application for mobile phones; Windows and Android to start with?

I'm not sure what you're talking about, do you mean the language to use for the back end or front ?

Speaking of front end, by calling the names Android and Windows you're talking about 2 different technologies entirely (i.e Java and .Net for the front end ) But if you insist on writing for both platforms with the same language, then you'll need to learn C#. Mono provides a platform to write applications for IOS, Windows Mobile and Android with C#...you should check it out www.mono-project.com/

For the back end though, you need to consider how you want the app to work, As your self questions such as... Do i want to use a Client/ Serve system or you need each clients to chat directly without reach a server, of what advantage will it be for the app if I use Client/Serve or the latter ?...and so much more, then you can now base your decision on which technology to use for the back end based on the answers to this question ( i.e your requirements ).
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by kudaisi(m): 11:43am On Jun 21, 2013
Manus17:
Am a computer sci student..all wat we do in our sch is just to write 'C' program to do dis or that e.g find d radius of circle or to design a simple calculator etc..after that we just write d code @dev c++ or codeblocks..and complile then run..finish...i knw abt c++,and a bit of java and python..how can i use dis program to create an apps.thank u

cyrielo: me wondering too I can write c++ program that convert dog years to human years and simple trivia questions. but when the program is running its just like a command line
black background. how do u do the GUI stuffs and porting the app into other platforms not only windows. angry

NOTE: YOUR LECTURERS CANT TEACH YOU ALL!!!!

Thst being said, what they did was to give you a background in the language so that you cant understand the building blocks of the language. It is left to you to do some research on things that interest you or things you want to achieve with the language, so you still have a lot of researching and reading to do...and here's you first research topic for your GUI app.. "Research QT Framework" (GUI Library for C++) as C++ doesn't come with any inbuilt capabilities to build GUI application unless you want to start developing your own GUI library which will be "Reinventing the wheel" as against improving an existing one.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by gentlelexis: 1:53pm On Jun 21, 2013
kudaisi:

I'm not sure what you're talking about, do you mean the language to use for the back end or front ?

Speaking of front end, by calling the names Android and Windows you're talking about 2 different technologies entirely (i.e Java and .Net for the front end ) But if you insist on writing for both platforms with the same language, then you'll need to learn C#. Mono provides a platform to write applications for IOS, Windows Mobile and Android with C#...you should check it out www.mono-project.com/

For the back end though, you need to consider how you want the app to work, As your self questions such as... Do i want to use a Client/ Serve system or you need each clients to chat directly without reach a server, of what advantage will it be for the app if I use Client/Serve or the latter ?...and so much more, then you can now base your decision on which technology to use for the back end based on the answers to this question ( i.e your requirements ).
Thanks for the tip
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by GrAnDwEeZ(m): 6:30pm On Jun 21, 2013
cmplete novice here. . .buh i've gone through d thread. .itz lyk c++ z a gud strtn point
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Alpet(m): 6:08pm On Jun 24, 2013
Well done my ogas,I'm a complete novice who is still jostling for admission to study information and communication science in a Nigeria university. But I want to engage myself with basic knowledge of programming before d admission and continue along,(I know by d grace and mercy of God I will be admitted dis year IJN.). I will Like to engage myself on web and mobile application, please where should I start from, which language, which institute and every other thing I need to know. I reside in Osun State. I need d advice from u d ogas, am a kid to u.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 25, 2013
-_-
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by kambo(m): 8:53pm On Jun 25, 2013
cyrielo: me wondering too I can write c++ program that convert dog years to human years and simple trivia questions. but when the program is running its just like a command line

for gui, investgate d qt library, or wxwidgets or fox toolkit. google is ur friend here.on windws u can use mingw or cygwin(unix like Os emu) or visual studio , again, GIYF...
Re: I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? by ibiamu2002: 5:16am On Jun 27, 2013
Helloooooooooo thanks for your interest in learning programming. If you want to learn programming language as a beginner you should start with an introduction to programming using visual basic 6.0 language.[/color][color=#000000]

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (165) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.