Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 (15164 Views)

Lagos Oilfield To Miss December Production Target / Lagos Oilfield To Miss December Production Target / Lagos Oilfield To Miss December Production Target (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by ypzilanti: 10:22am On Jan 02, 2013
CFCfan:

I slightly disagree. The Lagos electorate are one of the most progressive, sophisticated ones in the nation. If Oluremi Tinubu is presented as the ACN governorship candidate in 2015, she has a high chance of winning the election. Though, it will be by small margin.

I agree with the highlighted. Also, remember that maybe up to 60 or 50 percent of Lagosians are not indigenous to western nigeria, and do not share the whole western integration ACN propoganda. The band wagon effect will not sway such voters. They massively voted for fashola in his second term based solely on his performance. I suspect that the majority of them voted for Jimi Agbaje in the first election.

Anyway, presenting Tinubu's wife as ACN candidate will be divisive at the party primaries, dividing the party, and making it easier to conquer. It will also be a tough sell to elite Yorubas who are not party members, as well as Lagos residents who are not Yoruba. The only way, they will succeed with this plan would be if the other parties do not provide better alternative candidates with better credentials.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by charzyn: 10:28am On Jan 02, 2013
Yorubas should built the refinary first to prove that they have the oil and stop shouting and making noise . Anambra state built thier refinary first and commission it before making it known to people that they have belong to oil producing state. keep quiet and take action instead of making noise
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by biodunid: 10:31am On Jan 02, 2013
A bit more info and a correction.

Jubilee and Tweneboa fields are in Ghana with Jubilee being the big one discovered a few years ago which is already producing.

Aje discovery is well known but I still think its development has been too slow and sub optimal at least from the point of view of the naija / Lagos economy. Chevron, its technical operator, has been more inclined to pipe the gas off to Ghana to help it fill the WAPCo (WAGP) pipeline which it is the dominant partner in.

A more beneficial plan for naija would have been the use of that gas domestically especially as he bane of power generation in the SW is the constant breaking of ELPS and the lines that feed it. My hope over the years, which I have expressed online before now, is that LASG would encourage the owners to pipe that gas to Badagry and set up an IPP there which would at least take care of the western axis of the state instead of watching while we give even the little we have to Ghana which is already richly blessed, at least relative to naija, in the power sector.

There are already massive discoveries in Benin Republic with Shell even buying into a venture there. It would be very unusual if the oil deposits that started offshore Angola all the way to Cote d'Ivoire and beyond were to somehow skip over the Lagos / Ogun / Ondo coast. Even Togo is busy prospecting for oil. So why haven't we found fields as massive as Ghana's Jubilee (about 1billion BOE) in the SW already?

I have considered various conspiracy theories but in the end it looks more like the usual naija disease - we are all too busy eating the billions from the ND to bother about the arduous and risky task of establishing the presence of possibly larger blessings not only in the Dahomey basin but in our various inland basins. Apart from the liquid / gaseous stuff, bitumen deposits have been long established in the SW (Edo inclusive) with our perfunctory survey showing the presence of 30b tonnes which essentially equals our known crude deposits. After almost a century we still produce NIL barrels a day from that blessing while Canada, despite its inhospitable environment, produces hundreds of 1000s of barrels a day from similar deposits.

I believe it would be way too generous to believe our misrulers have any grand plans to develop these 'stranded' assets when naija breaks up. In my view they have all been just too blinded by what they are stealing now to break any sweat unlocking more wealth even if it will primarily be for their own theft.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 10:32am On Jan 02, 2013
Back to Lagos economics. The $100bn Lagos GDP(in 6 yrs time) would be one-third of Greece's GDP, and at least the combined GDP of 7 African countries! shocked
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 02, 2013
I don't know why I'm indifferent to this news.

The Ijaws own that oil there!! This isn't fair. Remember the Ijaws gave Lagos to Yorubas because they were a fishing community and didn't need land.

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin

The kind hypotheses wey dey NL ehn.. Man just need laugh.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Akanbiedu(m): 10:52am On Jan 02, 2013
0lumide: I don't know why I'm indifferent to this news.

The Ijaws own that oil there!! This isn't fair. Remember the Ijaws gave Lagos to Yorubas because they were a fishing community and didn't need land.

The kind hypotheses wey dey NL ehn.. Man just need laugh.

You probably guessed this may create problems for Lagos.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 10:53am On Jan 02, 2013
[quote author=0lumide]I don't know why I'm indifferent to this news.

Haha. This hypothesis get K-leg. cool
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Akanbiedu(m): 10:55am On Jan 02, 2013
@Gbawe, hope you saw that Afenifere thread?
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Konquest: 11:02am On Jan 02, 2013
naptu2:

http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-oilfield-to-start-production-in-2014/

Lekki Peninsula also has crude oil and gas deposits discovered by Yinka Folawiyo Petroleum. wink
The Ijebus who are the landowners or indigenes of Ibeju-Lekki LGA axis, and the Aworis and their kith
and kin [the Ogus of Badagry LGA axis where oil and gas deposits have also been discovered by Yinka
Folawiyo Petroleum on Awori and Ogu lands in Badagry LGA] must make sure their lands are NOT
destroyed and they must EMPOWER their youths to key in to the wealth from oils and gas [and also
take advantage of the Lekki Free Trade Zone]along with other investors.

But care has to be taken to use INTERNATIONAL BEST PRACTICES when drilling onshore
and offshore.The Ilaje-Yoruba oil communities of Ondo State have been having a tough time with
oil spillages on land and in the water ways. But with the influencial multibillionaire HRM Oba
Fredrick Obateru Akinruntan, the founder of OBAT Oil & Petroleum as a king in that region of
Ilaje, he should be able to use his influence to stop Chevron's excessive spillages to the bare
minimum. If NOT militancy will continue among the Ilaje communities.

I'm happy for Lagos State and Anambra/Kogi [still disputing]as well for their oil deposits
which can be used to fast-track development. smiley

SEE THE PICTURE OF ILAJE-YORUBA NIGER DELTA MILITANTS FROM ONDO STATE WITH DEADLY
WEAPONS BELOW [SOURCE: Kpogede77]
:

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by aljharem(m): 11:07am On Jan 02, 2013
Acn is not winning Lagos state. Not because of the crap of percentage of non indigene but because lagosians don't want to wake up and hear they are living in Tinubu's state. All that non indigene is all internet talk.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 11:11am On Jan 02, 2013
alj harem: Acn is not winning Lagos state. Not because of the crap of percentage of non indigene but because lagosians don't want to wake up and hear they are living in Tinubu's state. All that non indigene is all internet talk.

I'm sorry, but ACN is gonna retain d governorship seat.
*runs off to look for 'Mr Fix it*
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by musiwa11: 11:13am On Jan 02, 2013
this is one of the lies of this govt.. lagos has been producing oil for a while.. even years now.. but the govt have refuse to pay lagos. while its pays his state of bayelsa..
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Abagworo(m): 11:15am On Jan 02, 2013
Just like someone once wrote on Nairaland, almost every country in Africa is discovering oil and now almost every State in Nigeria is discovering oil. I'm happy not because of the oil discovery but because in near future coupled with the decision by US to increase domestic oil production, the price of oil will hit record low, thereby forcing us to buckle up. All these people fighting for juicy political office, oil blocks, secession and all related anti-people ambitions will realize the importance of unity and diversity. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:16am On Jan 02, 2013
Benin Basin, about 43 kilometres offshore Lagos? Dey should tank God OBJ is not President, becos any small noise from Benin Republic,Nigerians can kiss goodbye to Lagos oil.

At least all Nigerians can see the benefit of Lagos becoming an oil producing state for its cosmopolitan development alongside all major cities in the world.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by naptu2: 11:24am On Jan 02, 2013
Abagworo: Just like someone once wrote on Nairaland, almost every country in Africa is discovering oil and now almost every State in Nigeria is discovering oil. I'm happy not because of the oil discovery but because in near future coupled with the decision by US to increase domestic oil production, the price of oil will hit record low, thereby forcing us to buckle up. All these people fighting for juicy political office, oil blocks, secession and all related anti-people ambitions will realize the importance of unity and diversity. God bless Nigeria.

Amen
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by aljharem(m): 11:25am On Jan 02, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Benin Basin, about 43 kilometres offshore Lagos? Dey should tank God OBJ is not President, becos any small noise from Benin Republic,Nigerians can kiss goodbye to Lagos oil.

At least all Nigerians can see the benefit of Lagos becoming an oil producing state for its cosmopolitan development alongside all major cities in the world.

true that's for you Nigerians to worry about not the SW people. Lol

And also stop saying ALL Nigerians would benefit from it because it is a lie.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by GAR3TH(m): 11:37am On Jan 02, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Benin Basin, about 43 kilometres offshore Lagos? Dey should tank God OBJ is not President, becos any small noise from Benin Republic,Nigerians can kiss goodbye to Lagos oil.

The Benin basin is in the Bright of benin. The bright of benin is the span of ocean that stretches from Ghana to Bayelsa state. It has nothing to do with the benin republic nor is it owned by them. Actually the bright of benin was named after the Bini Empire by the Portuguese, while the country [benin], formerly named Dahomey was renamed after the bright of benin years later.

@topic, Since the discovery and announcement of oil production in many new states, I wonder how the topic of resource control will play out.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by 2good(m): 11:45am On Jan 02, 2013
charzyn: Yorubas should built the refinary first to prove that they have the oil and stop shouting and making noise . Anambra state built thier refinary first and commission it before making it known to people that they have belong to oil producing state. keep quiet and take action instead of making noise

Such ignorance. You obviously know nothing about the oil and gas industry so its better you don't comment.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Fantacy1(m): 11:47am On Jan 02, 2013
Good news!! I jux wish every family in Nig. Will ve independent oil well cuz "watz sauce 4 d goose is sauce 4 d gander". No fowl play
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Lobolintin(m): 11:58am On Jan 02, 2013
Osiris.211:

Afam4eva!!!! This why you are made a moderator. Quickly ban this nuisance. angry
afam ban another nwa afor biafra.. Guy i bu, ezin... Ogba dun rara... Omo ale nie ojei
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Lobolintin(m): 12:00pm On Jan 02, 2013
Osiris.211:

Bad balle things for 2013? shocked
o de nie.. Dnt u read.grow up dude.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by gohome: 12:01pm On Jan 02, 2013
shymexx:

With the exception of Lagos, which non-oil producing state in Nigeria has managed to achieve any worthy development?? Now, add oil to the equation and see why Lagos is on the verge of being the New York of Africa...

Without oil, its GDP will surpass Johannesburg by 2014 - now add the oil to that!!

Add oil to it, nothing will change. Though Lagos has no single oil well, most of the monies from Nigerias oil goes to Lagos and Abuja anyway.......directly and/or indirectly. The biggest oil companies have their HQ/ big offices in lagos and Abuja That is where money change hands and not those villages, certainly not offshore. So don't be deceived. Exposé yourself and travel to towns and villages that have this oil ... You will find absolutely no infrastructural development. No school.. No hospital... Nothing. The closest these communities can see development is at least 100KM (port harcourt , Benin) which to me are glorified cities.

Again don't be deceived . Nothing will change. Lagos is better off without oil. It will be better off without oil just like NY, J'bourg, London, Paris, Tokyo, Doha, and all other big cities.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 12:11pm On Jan 02, 2013
GAR3TH:

The Benin basin is in the Bright of benin. The bright of benin is the span of ocean that stretches from Ghana to Bayelsa state. It has nothing to do with the benin republic nor is it owned by them. Actually the bright of benin was named after the Bini Empire by the Portuguese, while the country [benin], formerly named Dahomey was renamed after the bright of benin years later.

@topic, Since the discovery and announcement of oil production in many new states, I wonder how the topic of resource control will play out.

I don hear. With command from OBJ, start preparin dat case for ICJ.
alj harem:

true that's for you Nigerians to worry about not the SW people. Lol

And also stop saying ALL Nigerians would benefit from it because it is a lie.

We are progressive and see nigeria with an economic specs not the tribal one. Dat oil, na we get am. grin
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jan 02, 2013
The drilling of oil in Lagos would also be a boost to aviation. Aviation fuel would become cheaper, which in turn, might lead to airfares of btw N5000 and N10,000 for round trips.

#Eko O Ni Baje
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by seanet01: 12:17pm On Jan 02, 2013
I need to start preparing those business proposals for those Mouth watering Oil services contracts.
Our own 13% Derivation must come.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by 2good(m): 12:38pm On Jan 02, 2013
CFCfan: The drilling oil in Lagos would also be a boost to aviation. Aviation fuel would become cheaper, which in turn, might lead to airfares of btw N5000 and N10,000 for round trips.

#Eko O Ni Baje

Big lie. There is a big difference between black oil and natural gas produced from the ground and refined oil products and natural gas you see around. If you don't build refineries and gas processing plants, you will be deceiving yourself because no single aviation fuel will come out. JET A1 by the way is special grade of Kerosene with carbon content of C9 to C15 making it a liquid fraction, so you have to build refinery to separate the crude oil into its components to get the JET A1 fuel you're talking about.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Jobabori(m): 12:39pm On Jan 02, 2013
These is a wise saying. We better start looking for an alternative to oil.
slim fit :
Ten years or even less from now no body would care about oil that's why I feel sorry for the south south, if you don't start developing your area now when oil has no value again no region will take you people serious again as a matter of fact you people wouldn't have any value again as a Nigerian. Make hays before or when the sun shine or how do you say it.awolowo used the west resources very well that's what made the south west stronger till today otherwise the yoruba people would have been a burden to the whole country just like our northern counterparts, no offence.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Jobabori(m): 12:40pm On Jan 02, 2013
This is a wise saying. We better start looking for an alternative to oil.
slim fit :
Ten years or even less from now no body would care about oil that's why I feel sorry for the south south, if you don't start developing your area now when oil has no value again no region will take you people serious again as a matter of fact you people wouldn't have any value again as a Nigerian. Make hays before or when the sun shine or how do you say it.awolowo used the west resources very well that's what made the south west stronger till today otherwise the yoruba people would have been a burden to the whole country just like our northern counterparts, no offence.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by GlorifiedTunde(m): 12:42pm On Jan 02, 2013
Lobolintin:
based on psychological observatn and consumptn... Lik countles africa countries nw produce oil at comercial quantiy.

Abeg forget that "Oil will loose its value" story. There has never been and will never be any source of energy better that Fossils Oil. Every other source of energy explored had one greater disadvantage or the other. more countries are producing and there is also a geometric increase in demand. So nothing to fear jur.

And to those who say oil will soon finish... Only God can determine that, we do not know how it got there for sure.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by ajasa4link: 12:57pm On Jan 02, 2013
sofeco: I hope Fashola go for third term.
may the 201 gods in ile-ife forbid it:

1 Like

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 02, 2013
@ 2good: thanks for d clarification. I actually meant to say "drilling and refining".
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by ajasa4link: 1:10pm On Jan 02, 2013
CFCfan:

Yes oh. As Fashola would say, "EKO NI BAJE".

Oluremi Tinubu would continue from where BRF stopped on May 29, 2015. You heard it here first!
word on the street has it that the fair skinned senator ashafa may eventually be presented by the party

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds / Constitution Review: Why Presidential Assent Unnecessary - Saraki / Chris Ngige: Embrace Carpentry, Plumbing - Minister Tells Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.