Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,093 members, 7,821,784 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 (15167 Views)

Lagos Oilfield To Miss December Production Target / Lagos Oilfield To Miss December Production Target / Lagos Oilfield To Miss December Production Target (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:28am On Jan 02, 2013
ypzilanti:
Two of the most livable cities in Nigeria are Calabar and Enugu. They are not oil producing states. Cross River had some oil before the supreme court ruling, but not much.

Prior to Fashola's term in office, Lagos had refuse piled high on the streets and armed robbers had a field day in Lagos. Good governance is the answer, not oil.

The two states you cited are sparsely populated and they're both old cities in the Nigerian context - you can't compare them to Lagos... Whatever happened in Lagos of old was due to military rule and dictatorship - it's a new dawn and Lagos is moving forward...
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 02, 2013
Ozonna:

Nnamehn!!! No be small concentration shocked.

Abeg any gist about the Ibaka deepsea port being constructed by the Akwa Ibom state Government?

The last I heard was that the 1st phase of the Deep seaport would be completed by 2015, costing about $2.1bn. The FG and Akwa Ibom State govts would have 20% of the ownership, while the private developer wold have the remaining 60%

1 Like

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:31am On Jan 02, 2013
sofeco:

Yea I know, but who knows what the next Governor would perform.

God help Lagos sha.

The next governor could be Oluremi Tinubu. After 4 years in the Senate, she'll be prepared to take an executive position.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by PaulJohn1: 8:31am On Jan 02, 2013
ypzilanti:

Two of the most livable cities in Nigeria are Calabar and Enugu. They are not oil producing states. Cross River had some oil before the supreme court ruling, but not much.

Prior to Fashola's term in office, Lagos had refuse piled high on the streets and armed robbers had a field day in Lagos. Good governance is the answer, not oil.

I understand, this development is giving you a strong headache, running tommy and killing you softly
keep it up
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by pazienza(m): 8:31am On Jan 02, 2013
shymexx:

Personally, I think it has more to do with the history of the place, its location, the people, and unique landscape more than anything else... Kano has never been the capital of anything(Nigeria and Northern region), yet it's the richest in Northern Nigeria... Calabar, which was also once a capital city is one of the most sparsely populated states in Nigeria... Lagos has always been the place to be in Nigeria - the melting point and the Nigeria, Nigeria ought to be...
Don't even go there,the only reason lagos is better than calabar today is because Calabar lost the capital city tag to lagos. Even at that,calabar is easily the most beautiful city in nigeria today.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:31am On Jan 02, 2013
Map of Lagos

[img]http://2.bp..com/-oY0Fi0VjwfE/TsStLVKCzlI/AAAAAAAAAQ8/W0EdkmiyuHY/s400/Lagos+map+from+LagosLocation.jpg[/img]

I believe more areas in Lagos have potentials - and not forgetting Epe, we've got oil in my hometown... Dammit!! grin

#NaijaOilMoney cool

1 Like

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:34am On Jan 02, 2013
shymexx: Map of Lagos

[img]http://2.bp..com/-oY0Fi0VjwfE/TsStLVKCzlI/AAAAAAAAAQ8/W0EdkmiyuHY/s400/Lagos+map+from+LagosLocation.jpg[/img]

I believe more areas in Lagos have potentials - and not forgetting Epe, we've got oil in my hometown... Dammit!! grin

#NaijaOilMoney cool

Wow! I was even wrong in my earlier guestimate. Lagos's yearly budget could even reach N1trillion, if all those Lagos areas have oil in commercial quantities. The GDP will be closer to $200bn!
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:35am On Jan 02, 2013
pazienza: Don't even go there,the only reason lagos is better than calabar today is because Calabar lost the capital city tag to lagos. Even at that,calabar is easily the most beautiful city in nigeria today.

We're not arguing about which of the two cities is the most beautiful... The argument was about if Lagos will be able to maintain the fast pace of its development after the oil wealth, or join the rest of the oil-cursed states...

However, Calabar might probably be more beautiful than Lagos but Lagos is 2 million times more developed than Calabar...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by saintohia: 8:36am On Jan 02, 2013
Great development as this would create more jobs and boost Lagos GDP.

Lets see if this would force other states to start thinking.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Afam4eva(m): 8:38am On Jan 02, 2013
shymexx:

We're not arguing about which of the two cities is the most beautiful... The argument was about if Lagos will be able to maintain the fast pace of its development after the oil wealth, or join the rest of the oil-cursed states...

However, Calabar might probably be more beautiful than Lagos but Lagos is 2 million times more developed than Calabar...
No state has ever come close to Lagos in terms of development. I don't know why you guys keep stating the obvious.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:40am On Jan 02, 2013
afam4eva:
No state has ever come close to Lagos in terms of development. I don't know why you guys keep stating the obvious.

True. Congrats on your recent elevation to a MOD. smiley
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:40am On Jan 02, 2013
CFCfan:

Wow! I was even wrong in my earlier guestimate. Lagos's yearly budget could even reach N1trillion, if all those Lagos areas have oil in commercial quantities. The GDP will be closer to $200bn!

$200bn is a lot of money - I don't think Lagos will get there in the next 10-20 years...

At the moment, the GDP of Lagos is around $35... That's likely to triple in the next 5-10 years with Eko Atlantic, the two new seaports, and the new international airport...
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by ypzilanti: 8:40am On Jan 02, 2013
CFCfan:

I know; its so sad. I hope the Delta govt buckles up fast. If not, a non-PDP governor may emerge in 2015.

I often go to warri on business, and when I look at the burning gas flare at the distance overshadowing the town, I wonder how many tens of millions of naira is being processed per minute by the oil companies there. Then I contrast with the squalor in the city.

Oil money is only as good as the government in charge wants it to be.

45 minutes from warri, benin city is fast shaping up as a regional center. Functioning traffic lights, no refuse on the streets, zero pothole (at least on the major roads).

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by solomon111(m): 8:41am On Jan 02, 2013
OYINBOGOJU: Where are the Fashola haters....?

I smell conspiracy from Jonathan and other NigerDelta governors.

Tomorrow shall tell
stop speaking like a fool.
80,000 barells of oil compared to 150,000-200,000 barells in most niger-delta states is significant but nothing special.
Maybe this would even free up the niger-delta,and reduce the rate of pollution and environmental degredation there.
The FG should focus on new oil states,and allow the Niger-delta to fallow for the next 15 years.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Afam4eva(m): 8:41am On Jan 02, 2013
CFCfan:

True. Congrats on your recent elevation to a MOD. smiley
Thanks
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:43am On Jan 02, 2013
ypzilanti:
I often go to warri on business, and when I look at the burning gas flare at the distance overshadowing the town, I wonder how many tens of millions of naira is being processed per minute by the oil companies there. Then I contrast with the squalor in the city.

Oil money is only as good as the government in charge wants it to be.

45 minutes from warri, benin city is fast shaping up as a regional center. Functioning traffic lights, no refuse on the streets, zero pothole (at least on the major roads).

The bolded part is due to the negligence of the FG and it has nothing to do with the oil... Nigeria is probably the only country in the world where gas flaring is allowed...

And that's more reason why the FG needs to pass the PIB...
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:44am On Jan 02, 2013
shymexx:

$200bn is a lot of money - I don't think Lagos will get there in the next 10-20 years...

At the moment, the GDP of Lagos is around $35... That's likely to triple in the next 5-10 years with Eko Atlantic, the two new seaports, and the new international airport...

I read somewhere that Lagos's current GDP is around $50bn.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:47am On Jan 02, 2013
CFCfan:

I doubt it's up to $50bn and if it's, it probably jumped to that amount last year(2012)...

However, $15bn increase within a year is implausible...
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by solomon111(m): 8:47am On Jan 02, 2013
CFCfan:

lagos is $40billion,jourhanesburg is $51 billion.
Though i would like lagos to surpass them,at least to shut those arrogant south-africans up.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:51am On Jan 02, 2013
@solomon111 and shymexx: The Lagos and Nigeria GDP was rebased in September. According to Businessday, Lagos's GDP increased to over $55bn; while that of Johannesburg remained at $51bn.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:52am On Jan 02, 2013
solomon111: lagos is $40billion,jourhanesburg is $51 billion.
Though i would like lagos to surpass them,at least to shut those arrogant south-africans up.

Lagos should surpass J'burg by 2015, anyway...
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:53am On Jan 02, 2013
CFCfan: @solomon111 and shymexx: The Lagos and Nigeria GDP was rebased in September. According to Businessday, Lagos's GDP increased to over $50bn; while that of Johannesburg remained at $51bn.

Whoa!! That's definitely a "miracle in st anna!" shocked

So, Lagos should surpass J'burg by summer this year - Lagos is working!!!! grin

Lagos is the "KING" of Africa!!! cool
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by seanet01: 8:55am On Jan 02, 2013
Paul John:

Ogun better start drilling and stop lying of no oil cheesy
Na brain Ogun people dey always use grin
And na wetin now? We get oil for Tongeji islands
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:56am On Jan 02, 2013
shymexx:

Whoa!! That's definitely a "miracle in st anna!" shocked

So, Lagos should surpass J'burg by summer this year - Lagos is working!!!! grin

Lagos is the "KING" of Africa!!! cool

Yes oh. As Fashola would say, "EKO NI BAJE".

Oluremi Tinubu would continue from where BRF stopped on May 29, 2015. You heard it here first!
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by solomon111(m): 8:57am On Jan 02, 2013
CFCfan: @solomon111 and shymexx: The Lagos and Nigeria GDP was rebased in September. According to Businessday, Lagos's GDP increased to over $55bn; while that of Johannesburg remained at $51bn.
Really?
That's impressive.
Do you know the current overall Gdp of Nigeria,as compared to SA.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 8:58am On Jan 02, 2013
CFCfan:
Yes oh. As Fashola would say, "EKO NI BAJE".

Oluremi Tinubu would continue from where BRF stopped on May 29, 2015. You heard it here first!

Bwahahahahahahahaha

When did you become a politricktian?? grin

You're definitely doing a better job than uncle Gbawe and Eko Ile!! grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 9:00am On Jan 02, 2013
solomon111: Really?
That's impressive.
Do you know the current overall Gdp of Nigeria,as compared to SA.

Nigeria's GDP as at 2011 was $415bn, South Africa's own was $554bn also in the same year.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by pazienza(m): 9:01am On Jan 02, 2013
shymexx:

In your initial post,you seemed to be saying that lagos had always had an advantage over calabar,but we know that's not true,what ever advantage lagos have today,it earned as the former capital of nigeria,should calabar have retained that title,we wouldn't be talking about lagos today.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 9:03am On Jan 02, 2013
CFCfan:

Nigeria's GDP as at 2011 was $415bn, South Africa's own was $554bn also in the same year.

I believe Nigeria will also surpass SA in the next 2 years... However, we've nothing to show for it... The money is there but it's with the "godfathers" and "goodfellas" who're holding the Nigerian populace to ransom - it's sad, to be honest...

I still believe in Nigeria, anyway...
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 9:04am On Jan 02, 2013
Oil is almost always a curse than blessing in many cases. We have seen how Fashola and Tinuba have pocketed 6yrs of Fed. Allocation and IGR while putting us in eternal payments of levies to PPP operators. What will be different if Lagos Becomes OIl Producing state is that there will be more do or die spirit in politics and more killings of opposition. I love Lagos the way it is, but if Oil can add value, I doubt it very much.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by solomon111(m): 9:04am On Jan 02, 2013
CFCfan:

Na wa o.
The gap is huge.
Well at 2012,the gap should not be more than $80bn-$100.
Anything other than that is a failure on Nigeria's part.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by PaulJohn1: 9:05am On Jan 02, 2013
seanet01: And na wetin now? We get oil for Tongeji islands

I'm not disputing that. I'm saying you guys are hiding something, no wonder you people haven't made it official and let's know when production will start like Lagos did.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

EFCC Plans Revisit On Amaechiā€™s N20billion Case. / Saraki And Ekweremadu Arrive Court For Continuation Of Their Forgery Trial(pics) / Angry Women Protest In Akwa Ibom Over Importation Of Thugs By Politicians.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.