Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,042 members, 7,821,588 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 (15166 Views)

Lagos Oilfield To Miss December Production Target / Lagos Oilfield To Miss December Production Target / Lagos Oilfield To Miss December Production Target (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by hotwax: 2:08pm On Jan 02, 2013
Osiris.211:
Getting closer to Oodua Republic? Ondo and Lagos blessed with rich oilfields?

Also Ilorin and Ogun state. There are tendencies that most Yoruaba states have oil deposits.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by hotwax: 2:13pm On Jan 02, 2013
charzyn: Yorubas should built the refinary first to prove that they have the oil and stop shouting and making noise . Anambra state built thier refinary first and commission it before making it known to people that they have belong to oil producing state. keep quiet and take action instead of making noise
Whether you like it or not, the USA has discovered it. Ondo has bin producing for years. Ilorin and Ogun to commence in the future. Hate won't buy you shoe.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by hotwax: 2:26pm On Jan 02, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe:

I don hear. With command from OBJ, start preparin dat case for ICJ.

We are progressive and see nigeria with an economic specs not the tribal one. Dat oil, na we get am. grin

"We"? Who is "we"? Are you otedola family member?

If the oil rely belongs to "we", "we" should not be paying 120 per liter, "we" should be paying 19naira just like LIbya
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by pazienza(m): 3:44pm On Jan 02, 2013
slim fit :
what are you talking about, apart from the bridges nothing is in a Lagos since The 1970s the only contribution of FG was the third mainland bridge apart from that what else. Its not like the FG had a housing system where all the houses are built by the government. There wasn't even a planing structure that was follow even building law didn't exist, if it exist it wasn't followed.Lagos been the capital didn't add much to its beauty.
This is the joke of the month. I don't want to derail this thread,open a thread on this,lets shift this discussion there.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by shegzee43: 4:21pm On Jan 02, 2013
Lobolintin: 10yrz 4rm nw,oil wil lose its value
On what ground man?
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Mogidi: 4:34pm On Jan 02, 2013
How are we sure this is crude oil and not ground nut oil.
Empty barrels make the most noise, those with real crude oil are not jubilating talkless of this Ororo that was found in Lagos.

You will all wake up tomorrow to find out it was a joke a crude joke at that. (Pun intended).
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by vladimiros: 4:40pm On Jan 02, 2013
MY FELLOW LAGOSIANS

BE WARNED, WATCH OUT FOR ABOKI, THEY WILL CLAIM THE OIL SPILLED FROM THE SULTANS PALACE TO LAGOS AND ITS THEIR DEVINE RIGHT

HOPEFULLY LAGOS WILL JOIN WE SS STATES AND SUPPORT THE PIB BILL

PLS DON'T LOOK AT THIS AS PARTY POLITICS, JOIN WE SS AND TELL ABOKI TO LAY OFF OUR OIL

EKO ONI BAJE(DID I SAY IT RIGHT)
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jan 02, 2013
........ congrats to lagos and the yorubas. hope its effeciently utilized.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by vladimiros: 5:10pm On Jan 02, 2013
naptu2:
Section 134 (6) of the 1960 and 1963 constitutions (which dealt with revenue allocation formula) had the sentence

"(6) For the purpose of this section, the continental shelf of a Region shall be deemed to be part of that Region".

This subsection was deleted in the 1979 constitution (which forms the bedrock of the 1999 constitution).

The deletion of this subsection was the reason for the on-shore/off-shore dichotomy crisis of the early 2000s.

Basically, the southern states sued the Federal Government and tried to get the Supreme Court to declare that they were entitled to revenue from off-shore oil production.

The northern state governments also sued the FG and tried to prevent the FG from giving any percentage of revenue from off-shore oil production to the southern states.

The matter was settled out of court, but the off-shore/on-shore dichotomy exists, even till today.

THIS IS PROOF THAT ABOKIS HATE EVERYTHING SOUTHENR IN THIS KONTRI

LEACHES, PARASITES, ISLAMIC BOMBERS
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 02, 2013
macfarland: These are offshore fields and going by Obasanjo onshore/offshore oil dicotomy policy, Lagos as a state wont get a dine frm dis oilfields. OBJ cunningly defrauded d south-south pple with dis policy and took the revenue dat is supposed 2 go 4 d benefit of d south-south states 2 d FG. Let nobody fool himself 2 think dat Lagos wil earn direct revenue from these oilfields. Now frm OBJ policy, it will be d turn of south west 2 suffer d same fate mated 2 d south-south states. I am saying d fact and not talkin like Sir Alex Ferguson of Man United when he loses a match.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by naptu2: 5:28pm On Jan 02, 2013
naptu2:

6 The history of revenue allocation in Nigeria dates back to October 10, 1957 when the fiscal commission was set up on the recommendation of the London constitutional conference to specifically examine revenue allocation and the problem of taxation in Nigeria.

The commission in its report recommended that, “Mining and mineral royalties and rents should be shared between the regions of their origin, the Federal government and all the regions together, the least by way of a distributable pool. The proportions in which these royalties and rents should be divided are respectively 50%, 20% and 30% and the considerations of these proportions subject to fiscal review”.

This is reflected in The Constitution Of The Federation Of Nigeria 1960, section 134, which states as follows: -

7 “134. (1) There shall be paid by the Federation to each Region a sum equal to fifty percent of-

(a) The proceeds of any royalty received by the Federation in respect of any minerals extracted in that Region; and

(b) Any mining rents derived by the Federation during that year from within that Region.

(2) The Federation shall credit to the Distributable Pool Account a sum equal to thirty per cent.

A) The proceeds of any royalty received by the Federation in respect of minerals extracted in any Region; and

B) Any mining rents derived by the Federation from within any Region”.
Section 134 (6) states further: -

“(6) For the purposes of this section the continental shelf of a Region shall be deemed to be part of that Region”.

According to professor Itse Sagay, 8“Under the 1960 and 1963 constitutions, a true federal system of strong States or Regions and Central or Federal ‘state’ with limited powers, was instituted. Both the 1960 (Independence) constitution and the 1963 (Republican) constitution were the same. The only differences were the provisions for ceremonial President (1963) in place of the Queen of England (1960) and the judicial appeals system, which terminated with the Supreme Court (1963) rather than the Judicial Committee of the British Privy Council (1960)”

However section 162 (2) of The Constitution Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria, 1999 states as follows: -

9 “162 (2) The president, upon the receipt of advice from the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission, shall table before the National Assembly proposals for revenue allocation from the Federation Account, and in determining the formula, the National Assembly shall take into account, the allocation principles especially those of population, equality of states, internal revenue generation, land mass, terrain as well as population density:
Provided that the principle of derivation shall be constantly reflected in any approved formula as being not less than thirteen per cent of the revenue accruing to the Federation Account directly from any natural resources”.

The data provided in the table below shows graphically the change in the derivation percentage: -
10Table 1: Federal - State percentage share in petroleum proceeds
Years
Producing State (%)
Federal Government (%)
Distributable Pool (%)

1960-67

1967-69
-

1969-71
-

1971-75
45 minus off-shore proceeds
55 plus off-shore proceeds
-

1975-79
20 minus off-shore proceeds
80 plus off-shore proceeds
-

1979-81
-
-

1982-92
1 and half
98 and half
-

1992-99
-

1999-
-

Source: Sagay, 2001

The decrease in the derivation percentage from fifty percent in the 1960 constitution to “at least thirteen percent” in the 1999 constitution and the omission of the phrase, “continental shelf of a state” has caused both the derivation percentage crisis and the “on-shore, off-shore dichotomy” crisis respectively.

https://www.nairaland.com/948996/decree-no-8-1967-answer/1
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by inspbado(m): 5:58pm On Jan 02, 2013
Oboi!!! Na more problems for Lagos be dat ooo!!! Many people will be leaving their villages, towns and state nd jumping on the next available bus com lasgidi be dat naa!!! sad
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by aljharem(m): 8:29pm On Jan 02, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe:

I don hear. With command from OBJ, start preparin dat case for ICJ.

We are progressive and see nigeria with an economic specs not the tribal one. Dat oil, na we get am. grin

we ke ? who is we ? Are you part of the Nigerian elites ? Because I know for sure that common people would not benefit from it that was why I said it is a lie.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by DuduNegro: 11:31pm On Jan 02, 2013
naptu,

i reviewed your last post. in the period between 67-69 and 69/71, one can argue that it (the ratio) was redefined ro finance the war and as well for the rebuilt and rehabilitation immediately following.

its hard to place the sharp drop from 75-79. this period is very interesting in understanding political relationships and a new dfinition going into North/South economic balance and equal opportunity. this was also the period when the issue of federal character gained huge push.

79-onward is crazy, part of second republic.

obasanjo restored some sanity in 99.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by naptu2: 5:15am On Jan 03, 2013
Dudu_Negro: naptu,

i reviewed your last post. in the period between 67-69 and 69/71, one can argue that it (the ratio) was redefined ro finance the war and as well for the rebuilt and rehabilitation immediately following.

its hard to place the sharp drop from 75-79. this period is very interesting in understanding political relationships and a new dfinition going into North/South economic balance and equal opportunity. this was also the period when the issue of federal character gained huge push.

79-onward is crazy, part of second republic.

obasanjo restored some sanity in 99.

I see it in the context of military rule/unitary system of government vs democracy/true federalism (fiscal federalism).

We practised democracy and true federalism between 1960-67 when the regions(states) had the lion share of the cake. When the military came in, they practically stopped allocations to the local governments.

Then the derivation % for the states was whittled down after the war (partly so that no state would have the resources to challenge the Federal Government and partly because the Federal Government had started usurping the powers/duties of the state governments, local governments and private sector).The 1979 constitution that the military compiled did not even factor in any derivation % for the states.

When democracy came the states fought back and gained 1½% (this was when Barkin Zuwo made the famous/infamous coke, fanta - minerals comment). They would have gotten much more if the military had not stepped in.

Babangida, in his quest to "settle" everybody, granted the states 3%.

By 1999, the Niger-Delta crisis had already started. People had started seeing the negative effects of a unitary system of government. Framers of the 1999 constitution decided to grant a derivation percentage of at least 13% (the rmafc, executive and legislature were expected to meet and determine the exact %, but it should be no less than 13%).

Obasanjo at first refused to pay 13%, but he was eventually forced to pay 13% (the beauty of democracy). Many have called for a return to the first republic arrangement of 50% for the states, but northern states have always kicked against this (this was one of the reasons why the 2005 reform conference failed. Some southern states walked out when the north refused to accept 50% derivation).
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by naptu2: 5:21am On Jan 03, 2013
Re-Barkin Zuwo comment:

Barkin Zuwo was governor of Kano (I think he was also a senator at one time). He was the only northerner who supported increased derivation % for states during the debate about increased derivation % for the states (2nd republic).

Surprised journalists cornered him afterwards and asked him why he supported increased derivation % for states when his state had no minerals. He replied, we have a lot of minerals like coke, fanta, etc.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by seanet01: 6:04am On Jan 03, 2013
naptu2: Re-Barkin Zuwo comment:

Barkin Zuwo was governor of Kano (I think he was also a senator at one time). He was the only northerner who supported increased derivation % for states during the debate about increased derivation % for the states (2nd republic).

Surprised journalists cornered him afterwards and asked him why he supported increased derivation % for states when his state had no minerals. He replied, we have a lot of minerals like coke, fanta, etc.
Nigeria don suffer. How come this guy become governor?
Chei, my head o
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 6:19am On Jan 03, 2013
seanet01: Nigeria don suffer. How come this guy become governor?
Chei, my head o

He might have been backed by the "powers that be" in those times. Also, he might have been a member of the Kaduna mafia.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by DuduNegro: 6:25am On Jan 03, 2013
naptu2: Re-Barkin Zuwo comment:

lmao.....omg!

he was senator. Rimi was governor.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by DuduNegro: 6:30am On Jan 03, 2013
personally, i believe 50% is a fair return. if enacted that could also deter state splits and get people around commonality of interest and inter dependency, rather than agitating self-sufficiency.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 6:37am On Jan 03, 2013
Dudu_Negro: personally, i believe 50% is a fair return. if enacted that could also deter state splits and get people around commonality of interest and inter dependency, rather than agitating self-sufficiency.

I'm also in favor of the 50% rule. Alternatively, states could be given 100% control of their onshore natural resources, while they pay tax to the FG. Then, the FG could have 50% control of the offshore resources.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by naptu2: 6:57am On Jan 03, 2013
This was my proposal.

On-shore:

The individual who owns the land should own the resources and get the revenue derived from the resources. He then pays tax to the government.

The local government gets 25% of that tax and remits the rest upward. The state government gets 35% of the tax and remits the rest upward. 20% of the tax goes to the Federal Government, while the remaining 20% is put in an account in case of emergencies (to help states that have suffered floods, drought, earthquake, etc).

Off-shore:

50% of the revenue should go to the Federal Government, 30% to the litoral state and 20% to the local government.

The Federal Government should also shed some of its responsibilities (this it has already started doing) by returning private companies/institutions that were taken over in the 1970s and relinquishing functions/agencies like the Federal Fire Service, etc and devolving them to the state and local governments.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by DuduNegro: 7:46am On Jan 03, 2013
naptu2: This was my proposal.

On-shore:

The individual who owns the land should own the resources and get the revenue derived from the resources. He then pays tax to the government.

The local government gets 25% of that tax and remits the rest upward. The state government gets 35% of the tax and remits the rest upward. 20% of the tax goes to the Federal Government, while the remaining 20% is put in an account in case of emergencies (to help states that have suffered floods, drought, earthquake, etc).

Off-shore:

50% of the revenue should go to the Federal Government, 30% to the litoral state and 20% to the local government.

The Federal Government should also shed some of its responsibilities (this it has already started doing) by returning private companies/institutions that were taken over in the 1970s and relinquishing functions/agencies like the Federal Fire Service, etc and devolving them to the state and local governments.

land is ethnic. all the rights of endowments which a land bestows is natural and authentic so that in as much the barreness of land is not owned by any one individual, the produce of it cannot be a one man ownership either.

everyrhing that man is has been instructed to him by land, including the penchant for discrimination. land is highly discriminatory.

so a land blessed with oil or any economically viable mineral deposits will be a land steeped in discrimination. an individual ownership and derivation on oil income is an invitation for a total bloodshed and possibly a wipe out.

naptu, you have been in corridors of power, civilian and military and watched them in close quarters, so you, more than anyone i know of here in nl will no doubt bear testimony that if oil wells were individually owned those individuals and their entire family blood pool would have been exterminated and the ownership changed hands. look at how we massacre our leaders so we can occupy their seat. individual oenership is ideal but its not practical.

ethnic or regional ownership may work.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 7:53am On Jan 03, 2013
^^^
Yeah, natural resources should be controlled by the states, but a share of the spoils can go to d individual land owner.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by naptu2: 8:09am On Jan 03, 2013
What happens at the moment is that, if oil is found on your land, the federal government takes that land from you and pays you a pittance as "compensation".

Yet, if I farm cocoa, cotton, etc, the land remains mine, the revenue remains mine, I simply pay tax to government.

Of course that's not fair, neither is it justice.

Why should the government forcibly take land that has belonged to my ancestors for generations? This is one of the causes of the Niger Delta struggle.

Again, we might give 90% of derivation revenue to the state governments and yet it might not impact on the life of the person who owns the land. We might only have succeeded in breeding new James Ibori, Diepreye Alamiesegha and Emmanuel Uduaghan. This is another reason for the Niger Delta crisis.

So, to the issue of bloodbath, land theft, etc. This is what good government (good laws, good policing, etc) is meant to solve. This is also one of the reasons why we have human rights agencies and groups.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by DuduNegro: 8:51am On Jan 03, 2013
cfc and naptu,

i see! honestly, i am not well educated on the totality of the grievances raised by the oil people. i would love to know more. i brought it up a number of times as a topic for discussion on the monthly debate but jarus never picked it up.

i believe there needs to be awareness and sensitivity. that might get buy in and support nationwide fortheir cause. if they d not end up with 100% return a 50% tax free reimbursement is far better than 13.

all the ijaw sites or ogoni sites i have visited to learn are highly spiced with political counter spins and makes it hard to truly grasp where the shoe is hurting their feet.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 03, 2013
^^^
The most important thing however, is for the residents of the oil producing states to hold their state governors accountable for every 13% derivation they (governors) receive. For eg it has been reported that N1.5 trillion in revenue has been collected by d Delta State govt since 2007, without a commensurate devt of it's infrastructure.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Abagworo(m): 9:28am On Jan 03, 2013
CFCfan:

He might have been backed by the "powers that be" in those times. Also, he might have been a member of the Kaduna mafia.

Far from that. Barkin Zuwo is a legend. He rather fought against powers that be. He was banned from public radio and he had the inability to communicate in English language. His campaign strategy was unconventional but he won at the end of the day. You guys should read about the man.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by demmy(m): 10:18am On Jan 03, 2013
naptu2: What happens at the moment is that, if oil is found on your land, the federal government takes that land from you and pays you a pittance as "compensation".

Yet, if I farm cocoa, cotton, etc, the land remains mine, the revenue remains mine, I simply pay tax to government.

Of course that's not fair, neither is it justice.

Why should the government forcibly take land that has belonged to my ancestors for generations? This is one of the causes of the Niger Delta struggle.

Again, we might give 90% of derivation revenue to the state governments and yet it might not impact on the life of the person who owns the land. We might only have succeeded in breeding new James Ibori, Diepreye Alamiesegha and Emmanuel Uduaghan. This is another reason for the Niger Delta crisis.

So, to the issue of bloodbath, land theft, etc. This is what good government (good laws, good policing, etc) is meant to solve. This is also one of the reasons why we have human rights agencies and groups.

But farmers plants those crops. Natural resources are different. They should be for the benefit all.
Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 10:35am On Jan 03, 2013
Let's be honest, 50% is still evil!!!!!!!!

How about 95%? uuh? and the FG only handle security and international diplomacy while regions manage all her wealth. If the North is as populated as they say, taxes will be their biggest revenue but the North will not be one in a reformed fiscal federalism. I'm sure tribes will rearrange their alignment with Hausas who make up the majority.

But even in a fiscal federalism, I see North as going really far in the long run while the W, S and E might have speedy development because of oil, they may face difficulties that comes with oil market's uncertainty. But if they invest in Agriculture instead of free oil money, they will probably be the best regions in Africa.

For the North, their mineral resources are numerous including gold. They can harness this to the best use and can actually gain heavily from the south or international by exporting Agricultural products. The North is already established in Agriculture and can make huge gains from the ever rising staples costs.

Nigeria can work. It's just the elites from West, East, South and North that are evils. We need to kill them all seriously. They are holding us back.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Oilfield To Start Production In 2014 by Nobody: 10:43am On Jan 03, 2013
@ Olumide: I want the regions to control their natural resources. But it has to be a gradual process; let 50% be a start.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Suswam Pulls-out Of Northern Governors Forum / Saraki And Ekweremadu Arrive Court For Continuation Of Their Forgery Trial(pics) / The Enduring Grip Of Historical Falsehoods On Igbo Minds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.