Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,980 members, 7,956,661 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:29 PM

Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football (23241 Views)

Senegal Vs Burkina Fasso All African Games Final / Nigeria V Namibia: Mikel Defy Chelsea Doctor’s Orders / f (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:43am On Jan 23, 2013
straynt: How can u say mikel obi has no asist in 6 yrs? Dat preposterous!

Without thinking, I remember the one he gave a long ball to Anelka and Anelka volleyed the ball into the net, when Anelka was celebrating, many left Anelka to congratulate Mikel.

Also the long ball he gave Drogba. It is just that many watch Mikel with Bias. Maybe later I'll make a gif of Mikel's assist.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:49am On Jan 23, 2013
Logicboy03: I dont agree with everything the op said but the op has a valid general point

-there are local players with better talent than some robotic premiership/championship players. Better scouts are needed
-we should emulate the spanish total football style- passing, possession, flair.

I totally agree with you. We also need a coach who fully understand the Tiki Taka philosophy.

My pick will be Luis Milla. The man who coached Spain to the last Olympics. He played for Barcelona and Real Madrid and knows the possesive game well. For now he is out of work.

Also he should be given time to build the U17 and U20 team which will make our Olympic team in 2016 and World Cup team in 2018. I believe this is the way to go.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:57am On Jan 23, 2013
GOZILLA: Op, ur points are useless. Seriously can you sit down and watch athletic bilboa and hercules play? Spanish league is boring abeg! Or why did u think the whole world comes to a standstill when barca and R.madrid play? Its because those are the teams that matter in that league. Blame the NFF for their inability to package our league not the EPL!
The Panish league isn't boring. A lot of people are used to watching the EPL style of play and find the true art of good possesive football boring. I will watch Athletico Madrid play Valencia or Real Sociedad play Getafe or Malaga play Osasuna.

Than watching Stoke City play West Ham.

Remember the Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and German fans complain about the lack of gifted players in the EPL.

The EPL is exciting to watch but not fantastic. That is why many were shocked when Athletico Madrid humiliated Chelsea or Athletico Bilbao embarrassing Man Utd.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by coogar: 2:03am On Jan 23, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:
The Panish league isn't boring. A lot of people are used to watching the EPL style of play and find the true art of good possesive football boring. I will watch Athletico Madrid play Valencia or Real Sociedad play Getafe or Malaga play Osasuna.

Than watching Stoke City play West Ham.

Remember the Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and German fans complain about the lack of gifted players in the EPL.

The EPL is exciting to watch but not fantastic. That is why many were shocked when Athletico Madrid humiliated Chelsea or Athletico Bilbao embarrassing Man Utd. =

but many were not shocked when arsenal demolished real madrid in 2006, when tottenham eliminated ac milan or when chelsea murdered bayern munich in the last edition of champions league final.

beauty is in the eyes of the beholder - you prefer tiki-taka, some other people prefer the direct football. you prefer swashbuckling attacking football but some fans want to see a well organised defensive football. so let's use the popularity vote(democracy) to settle this....

if the premier league is so shyte - why does it have more fans watching it in the whole wide world than any other league? some league games in the premier league have had 1 billion viewers watching it live - are you aware of that?

the premier league reign supreme over the others - it's not even debatable!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by HerexG(m): 2:08am On Jan 23, 2013
I wonder why is Nigerians so obsessed about this foreign league and neglecting theirs. How can we pay for rights to show the Epl and yet we can't pay to show our own Afcon. Modern colonialism.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:20am On Jan 23, 2013
Kikijan:

Are you a retarrd or what?

Who cares about olympics soccer? How many real star players show up in olympics soccer?
Btw, Nigeria all along has been cheating in fielding old men to play under 17 games and since they started testing for age where has Nigeria reached?

You are not seen when it really counts, so fck off.

You guys should leave that your overage talk. Nigeria's case is not as bad as the anti-nigerian media make it.

For Instance Kanu played in the U17 in '93. By 1996 he was battling for his life because of his heart. By November '96 he had his Aortic Valve replaced and went on to play active soccer for over 16 years. Please can an matured man easily achieve this fit?

Martins Obafemi made his debut for Inter Milan in 2001 and is seen as a revelation in Spain this season. Please Old over age players can't last as long as Nigerian players like Oliseh, Okocha (he was playing for Frankfurt in '93, Ikpeba, Kanu, last in the game.

By the way when Nigeria hosted the U17 World Cup. A lot of test was carried out on our team, from Dubai to Nigeria. R Times. Yet we made the finals.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:28am On Jan 23, 2013
coogar:

but many were not shocked when arsenal demolished real madrid in 2006, when tottenham eliminated ac milan or when chelsea murdered bayern munich in the last edition of champions league final.

beauty is in the eyes of the beholder - you prefer tiki-taka, some other people prefer the direct football. you prefer swashbuckling attacking football but some fans want to see a well organised defensive football. so let's use the popularity vote(democracy) to settle this....

if the premier league is so shyte - why does it have more fans watching it in the whole wide world than any other league? some league games in the premier league have had 1 billion viewers watching it live - are you aware of that?

I totally agree with you that it is a matter of choice. By the way when Arsenal played Real Madrid, it wasn't direct football. Secondly you don't get an English side out playing a Spanish side. They just win. Just like Mourinho at Chelsea. A one nil victory is enough.

Athletico Bilbao is an average team in Spanish football, that is why Athletico Madrid put 8 goals past them in I think their last two meeting.

So for an average in La Liga to do that to the greatest team in English football is far more embarrassing than Tottenham beating AC Milan (not a Spanish Side) or Man Utd beating Barca under Rijkaard 1-0 by packing the bus oor Arsenal (then the second best team in the EPL)beating Real Madrid.

Remember Athletico Madrid thrashing Chelsea 4-1.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by Dede1(m): 2:53am On Jan 23, 2013
The problem of Nigeria can be found among mediocrity, praise singing, sweeping the truth under the rug, point accusing fingers on others, federal character, noise making and running away from the problems in pretence of fighting tribalism. These issues have been played out on this forum as long as I can remember. I can say with out equivocation that English Premier League did not destroy Nigerian football, if any.

I stopped reading the OP’s post when confronted with the following sentences “We have now regressed to our colonial football in the 60's to the late 70's, when the national team was dominated by middle class boys from the missionary schools or white collar workers in major establishments klike stationary stores, IICC, Bendel Insurance etc”.

Anybody who had followed national team history would realize that, even during the civil war, national team was never dominated by players from Stationary stores, IICC or Bendel Insurance.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:53am On Jan 23, 2013
TheViper:

He condemned my analysis as unintelligent, but ends up typing something I can't read. What does this means? 'That won AFCON in 200 played in EPL?'

He meant AFCON 2000 but we lost in the finals to Cameroun on Penalties.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by sundayid(m): 5:55am On Jan 23, 2013
justwise:

I can't believe that some people have the gut to blame premier league, who invented football to start with?

Nigeria always get the wrong end of every good thing, Christianity is un-African but we used it to defraud people but we don't blame the white man for bringing Christianity to Africa, use Internet for all dubious activities but we never blame the white man for inventing Internet.

Premier league destroyed 'our' football indeed.
don't mind them, one day some people will come out to blame another man for their inability to impregnate their wife

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by Osyxcel(m): 6:21am On Jan 23, 2013
The Premier league did not destroy African Football.....To start with, do all African players play in England.....do they all play d EPL?

Put the blame on Africa's football administrators, blame it on poor infrastructures, blame it on poor coverage, blame it on lack of adequate sponsorship, blame it on lack of sports development, blame it on unattractive football leagues, blame it on whatsoeva....

Note: Not all African players play in EPL, some play in La Liga, Serie A, nd other leagues from different countries in Europe....IMO, pickin' out d EPL blame is shallow thinking....
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by Jarvis(m): 6:24am On Jan 23, 2013
never_say_never:

Baseless point, how can you choose a 'ath. bilbao vs hercules' as a reference to the topic, every league has its average team, even laliga & EPL, but remember that this same Athletic bilbao humiliated Man. United last season, so if the world stands still for El-classico, it's because they're the best two teams in the world, you're obviously an EPL fan. Truth be told, spain has revolutionalised football over the last 6years, that's why they're world/european champions & produce the best coaches & players.
almost every country in d world has a player playin in d epl.dats to tel u d quality of d lig.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by Jarvis(m): 6:25am On Jan 23, 2013
Ejiné:

Oga Justwise, na GREECE invent the 'game' of football o. And have you seen their terrible outings in tournaments?
So you see, that line of argument doesn't really count.
na wao o were do u get ur false info from?
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by Jarvis(m): 6:28am On Jan 23, 2013
Red-Light:
can u proof the english invented football?
hey its PROVE abeg.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by vicfajeze: 6:31am On Jan 23, 2013
epl na u biko,continue to boko haram our soccer prospect
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by ba7man(m): 6:40am On Jan 23, 2013
The Eagles played terribly and were jittery on and off the ball. The were playing rubbish.....but it required a last min effort for Burkina-faso to get a draw. Now picture if the Eagles get their act together. The Eagles have it in them but lack confidence.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by ujchief(m): 6:58am On Jan 23, 2013
Rubbish!!!
This nonsense you wrote is meant for the gutters.
First: Epl is arguably the best in the world, champions league success within the last decade is there as evidence. The English national team has been consistently ranked first ten in fifa ranking. If a good national team is a product of its league, then what will you say of the dutch national team?

Secondly: for the first time in years, I saw a super eagles team with strong zeal and determination. I saw a team willing to make their country proud, something that has been missing for a long time. They conceded a last minute goal; it could happen to any great team, you guys seem to forget they were playing without their best central defender; efe ambrose who was red carded.
there were little slip ups here and there, something I believe they would address in the next game.
I'm still rooting for my dear eagles who might retain back their super status after a long time of nonchalant display. Btw, how many SE players that played against bukina faso play at Epl?
Up super eagles, we remember, we are the real defending champions, we are in south africa to defend our tunisia 94 trophy.
I'm all green-white-green now!

#nb; I wonder if this nonsense analysis would have been made if we held our one goal lead. I guess I would have seen topics like: 'the beauty of epl'
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by GOZILLA(m): 7:03am On Jan 23, 2013
never_say_never:

Answer this question: If as an intelligent student, you find out that you're miles ahead of your peers academically, will you purposely lower your academic standards because people are complaining about the huge gap between you & your peers?

Honest answer.
no I won't.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by Ovap: 7:22am On Jan 23, 2013
@ post, Do u even know where football originated?? Are you saying origination of football is destroying your football herein Nigeria? EPL will select team for you or style/pattern u will play? Is Didier Drogba, Salomon Kalu, Yaya Toure not playing in EPL?
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 23, 2013
@OP, na u sabi.. Arsenal vs liverpool on sunday... Soon u go say epl don spoil nigerian league..*dancing etighi*

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by Nobody: 7:44am On Jan 23, 2013
Hey chairman... Are u blaming another country for ur own shambolic display? Its time u grow up, tell ur country to stop coping and do their own thing their own way... GOSH, u disgust me with ur lame analysis..
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by webizone(m): 8:10am On Jan 23, 2013
All in all, I love Nigeria's defence (local boys). Yes, I love the accurate premiership style longballs of Mikel Obi. What we need is to get complete predatory sharpness from our wingers (bundesliga) and sweet combinatory moves from our attacking midfielder and strikers (la liga)
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by imatalk(m): 8:10am On Jan 23, 2013
executinal: @Op i quite agree with you based on your analysis. Well i think our major setback in football has to do with the wrong people at the ministry of sport. I remember this last minister or so who suppose to be minister of housing or whatever, but ended up being minister of sport by name Engr Isah Ndanusa.

How do you expect an Engr that knows nothing about football and handle any change in that position? Our major problem in Nigeria is tribalism, there are allot of qualified and capable hands out there who can transform Nigeria football / sport into world class competition, but who will bail the cat?

How many Egyptian footballers do you hear their name playing in England or Spain? they prefer to play in their country because it is well organise and they dominate in African football, they pay their players well in their local league, the pitch is standard. Same thing applicable to South Africa.

I can still remember far back when we were in secondary school, we organise inter house competition and the aim is to get the best candidate for various section of sport. We start from the LG levels to state level and finally to federal level and final selection is made to represent Naija to major competition within Africa and other continents.

We have our tradition of football, but trust Naija copy copy always. Sia sia could have still do better if Nigeria were patient enough for the guy. Keshi don't have basic coaching skills compare to Sia Sia (my opinion ooh).

Solution put the right person in that position he will transform Nigeria football and league to international standard.
i still prefare sia sia to stephen keshi(even though he might win this cup).
All sia sia needed was more time to work on the defence.
Which we cant say keshi has been able to do, so far.
But there was one thing for sure in sia sia 's days which is what attracts crowds to pitches all over Nigeria.. Assurance that there will be goals- attacking football.
I prefare a match that ends in a two two draw with draw and alot of dribles than a 'champions' league final with chelsea vs bayern munchen.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by fhemy: 8:58am On Jan 23, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]We have our tradition of football, but trust Naija copy copy always. Sia sia could have still do better if Nigeria were patient enough for the guy. Keshi don't have basic coaching skills compare to Sia Sia (my opinion ooh).

Why do Nigerians keep talking about SiaSia wit a very woeful performance during he's reign...We all agree wit the tradition of fail and be dismissed,so why do u still want SiaSia's case to be different...He's the worst local coach we've had in ages and let's move on..Keshi has done so well to invite and play with some of the local players despite the lack of organisation in d local league..Did SiaSia play any local player during his reign? The problem we seems to overlook is that we just don't have good crop of players in the country now..we can only boldly say we do have strikers..apart that,Oyo is there case..xx
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by Lero15(m): 10:15am On Jan 23, 2013
Arsenal, Tottenham and Swansea play gud futbol and they r all in England
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by Nobody: 11:05am On Jan 23, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:
I totally agree with you that it is a matter of choice. By the way when Arsenal played Real Madrid, it wasn't direct football. Secondly you don't get an English side out playing a Spanish side. They just win. Just like Mourinho at Chelsea. A one nil victory is enough.

Athletico Bilbao is an average team in Spanish football, that is why Athletico Madrid put 8 goals past them in I think their last two meeting.

So for an average in La Liga to do that to the greatest team in English football is far more embarrassing than Tottenham beating AC Milan (not a Spanish Side) or Man Utd beating Barca under Rijkaard 1-0 by packing the bus oor Arsenal (then the second best team in the EPL)beating Real Madrid.

.Do u remember Liverpool humilating Real madrid(5-1 agg.) when Liverpool could not even make top 4?
..Do u remember Chelsea disgraced and dumped Barcelona out of the champions league with a man down(red card),2 goals down and a penalty awarded to Barcelona at Noeu camp?Chelsea did not even make top 4 last season.
..Do u remember Manchester city defeating Barcelona at Noeu camp..They were not in top 4 too.
..Do u remember Tottenham holding barcelona to a draw?they were not in top 4..
These are just a few to add to the above..Ever since the vice president of Laliga complained of match fixing in laliga,how many matches has Barcelona won?Should Platini resign today,it will be the end of Uefalona.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by Nobody: 11:07am On Jan 23, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

..Do u remember Liverpool humilating Real madrid(5-1 agg.) when Liverpool could not even make top 4?
..Do u remember Chelsea disgraced and dumped Barcelona out of the champions league with a man down(red card),2 goals down and a penalty awarded to Barcelona at Noeu camp?Chelsea did not even make top 4 last season.
..Do u remember Manchester city defeating Barcelona at Noeu camp..They were not in top 4 too.
..Do u remember Tottenham holding barcelona to a draw?they were not in top 4..
These are just a few to add to the above..Ever since the vice president of Laliga complained of match fixing in laliga,how many matches has Barcelona won?Should Platini resign today,it will be the end of Uefalona.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by cycluse: 11:43am On Jan 23, 2013
I don't agree all what he is saying
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by blaise26abj(m): 11:50am On Jan 23, 2013
I agree with the OP to a large extent. African style of football has been adulterated by European football. Not just the EPL. When we try to copy the original, we can only be second best. When our boys didn't have foreign exposure, we left opposing teams trying to second guess our moves. Virtually every non-African country have their own style of play. They even have names for their styles. We no get any style at all. Everything na imported ideas.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by neversaynever(m): 12:14pm On Jan 23, 2013
coogar:

The argument is not about which league is bigger, but which is better. EPL is bigger & more popular, no doubt, but bigger doesn't mean better, you know?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by neversaynever(m): 12:20pm On Jan 23, 2013
Jarvis: almost every country in d world has a player playin in d epl.dats to tel u d quality of d lig.

That's not a criteria for knowing the 'best'. The only year the EPL produce a Ballon D'or winner was CR7 in 2OO8, & even CR7 himself is now playing in laliga & declared it the best.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by niyimat(m): 12:21pm On Jan 23, 2013
musKeeto: Blame the NPL, not the EPL...
Isn't the EPL popular in Egypt? Or even Zambia?

Would the Ivoriens, whose team is made up of good quality EPL players, also complain about the influence of the EPL?

definitely; they will, very soon.
to me, i think the business of football has outrun its time. legends of football has come and gone. we are only left with remnants in the pack(messi and probably CR). believe me money and advertisements have done great havoc to the game. what has happened to those stadiums where we used to watch inter school football at 50k per match? they are all wasting and left uncared for. Then came the EPL, la liga,et al. on cable TV, we were thrilled, and carried away by the glamours,transfer rumours, arguments. we forgot the bases of the game and praises everything Europe which themselves are fast loosing their taste and thrills. football business is fast obeying the law of nature, 'nothing last forever' after all it all about entertaining and exercising the human body.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Ogenyi Onazi Begins Recovery Process After Successful Surgery (photos) / Lukaku Apologizes To Fans, Says He Is Sorry For His Comments About Chelsea / AFCON 2019: 7 Interesting Facts About The Tournament

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.