Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight (19414 Views)

5 Questions Nigerians Want Amanpour To Ask Buhari / Watch Christiane Amanpour Interview President Buhari On CNN (July 21) / Buhari's Interview With CNN Christiane Amanpour (Full Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by BodyKiss(m): 12:05am On Jan 24, 2013
omanzo02:

U are a bigger mumuu, how could someone in Switzerland make eye contact with someone in New York?. He was facing the camera that is what important.

What a poo? Please reread your post and see how stu.p!d you sound. Facing the camera with face down? SMHFY.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Ngwakwe: 12:08am On Jan 24, 2013
Some Nigerians are too negative. Must you comment if you don't understand what transpired in the scene of the Interview.

People talk of "eye contact" as if GEJ was in CNN Studio. Mr President was struggling with cold in Davos, Switzerland.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Ngwakwe: 12:08am On Jan 24, 2013
Probably you stopped watching when she finished with Mr President. The programme continued with her analyses about Nigeria, even play one rugged Nigerian music. Her last Statement about Nigeria was about Lagos being the most unliveable city in the world.

If you doubt it, go for the extract.

truth4meal: if there is any anti-nigeria it is pple like u who dress lie with damask - she never said anyfin abt lagos at the end she showed two pix of the delta and she even praised GEJ in d area of electoral reform. You are bias but its not ur fault - its ur work
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by taharqa: 12:09am On Jan 24, 2013
Wadeoye:

Stop that trash man. Where is the power? We started the day with generator to get ready for the morning and I am back at home now, the apartment is till on generator. What improvement are you talking about? That power comes on and off when everybody has gone to bed?

Yo dey craze ni? You no det fear?

I say Power increase yo dey tell me tales about your house. So? Like yo count. Anyways, even if it improves in your area I can SWEAR that yo would NEVER say it.

GEJ met Power spply at less than 2400MW, it is a little above 4500MW today and increasing. That is improvement enough for me apart from the fact that I feel it at home .....
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by TableLeg(m): 12:11am On Jan 24, 2013
Crap interview... Jonathan deflecting and dodging questions as usual .... #Typical
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by hollandis(f): 12:11am On Jan 24, 2013
Anyone who takes sides with jonathan after today's interview should be electrocuted .ONIRANU OLOSHI
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by omanzo02: 12:14am On Jan 24, 2013
BodyKiss:

What a poo? Please reread your post and see how stu.p!d you sound. Facing the camera with face down? SMHFY.
See the link below to view GEJ again, u can see he was Looking at the camera. Mumuu.

http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/23/nigeria-battles-to-stop-spread-of-al-qaeda-chaos-in-africa/

1 Like

Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by truth4meal(m): 12:14am On Jan 24, 2013
ifihearam:

But why are you this daft nowone thing I learnt is that the international community are those behind so many problems in our country,if they stop buying stolen crudes,the rate of bunkering will reduce to the barest minimum.
when jonah contracted the security of pipelines to militants its the international communities' fault abi? If GEJ can't secure his border it their fault again abi? Okay if the few elements arrested are not punished it the internationa communities' fault abi? Then what's jonah's fault nothing! Its d fault of Nigerians that vote in a "faultless" president. Responsibility is key in leadership. Take charge!!!

1 Like

Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by mascot87(m): 12:15am On Jan 24, 2013
ifihearam:

But why are you this daft nowone thing I learnt is that the international community are those behind so many problems in our country,if they stop buying stolen crudes,the rate of bunkering will reduce to the barest minimum.
Sharrapppp u fool, why wouldn't they buy from you. Who are those involved in bunkering and what brought about the act & see who is talking self,I know u quite well. l dont have your time idiot
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Wadeoye(m): 12:17am On Jan 24, 2013
basisop:

Oga, the whole Nigeria won't be powered up same time abeg! I left power in my house for work and met it when I came back. Do you even pay your bills?

Dont come here to talk about improvement when majority of Nigeria are still running on generator - it is annoying. Nothing has happened so far - it is all propaganda and those places that think they have power will soon find out they are being deceived. What happened before the election of 2011? There werebflashes of light here and there as if they were now serious. We knew it was just election deceipt. After election, we went back to nothing.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by mascot87(m): 12:17am On Jan 24, 2013
hollandis: Anyone who takes sides with jonathan after today's interview should be electrocuted .ONIRANU OLOSHI
I dey tell u, u too gbam

1 Like

Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by hollandis(f): 12:18am On Jan 24, 2013
I swear I will never set my foot into that country again.Look @ the manner of response and replies here.Is it a crime to admit your president is retardeddddddd ?
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by debosky(m): 12:21am On Jan 24, 2013
I was disappointed, as usual, with GEJ's comportment, his delivery and the way he came across.

A very uninspiring and tepid performance.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Wadeoye(m): 12:23am On Jan 24, 2013
taharqa:

Yo dey craze ni? You no det fear?

I say Power increase yo dey tell me tales about your house. So? Like yo count. Anyways, even if it improves in your area I can SWEAR that yo would NEVER say it.

GEJ met Power spply at less than 2400MW, it is a little above 4500MW today and increasing. That is improvement enough for me apart from the fact that I feel it at home .....

Stop that 4500MW propaganda. Until we begin to see constant power supply, dont come here with those useless figures. Who cares if you generate 1000MW? Just give me power - we now pay more than 3 times what we used to pay for power still we dont still have it.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Nobody: 12:25am On Jan 24, 2013
truth4meal: I knw GEJ will waste no time disappointing Nigerians on CNN dis night but I was not expecting it this bad.Can someone tell dis fishbrain that Nigeria is a sovereign state and all this his call at the end of every his answer on the international community shows he lacks d wisdom to tackle his domestic challenges. He called BH local terrorist buh still calls on international intervention. On oil theft dat happens in his delta he said its refined abroad - if the oil did not leave his shore will it get to d refinery abroad? Now he blames that on the international community. Poverty and corruption he nid the help of internation communities then when the internation community thru the US state dept said his handling of BH is inflaming the crisis he said they dnt ve the right info and that an interest is feeding them wrong - he never admitted anyfin its ball passing all his life. Nigeria is on auto-democracy we don't ve a president
Seriously, you have an issue! Calling on international community to help with terrorism doesn't change the ideology behind Boko Haram is local, while referring to their operation motto of 'Western Education is forbidden'. Terrorism by definition is not a responsibility of a single nation.

There are lots of work to be done and they don't rest on the president shoulders alone. You perpetrating spam mails all over the world need to change your habitual criminal attitude and find a way of moving the country forward. Stop making noise and act now. There is nothing impact coming from the president without the citizens willing to change or do their parts. That doesn't mean Mr. president is perfect but the elements of disturbance are weighing him down and slowing progress of democracy.

I see good in him, just that people fail to see his side and how much he is trying his best. At this point in time the president needs your support than ever before to move the country forward. Please, stop whining like a hungry baby!

Nigerian leaders, are too corrupt and the citizens must take action or stop lamenting about the conditions of things.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by sessydoo(m): 12:26am On Jan 24, 2013
truth4meal: I knw GEJ will waste no time disappointing Nigerians on CNN dis night but I was not expecting it this bad.Can someone tell dis fishbrain that Nigeria is a sovereign state and all this his call at the end of every his answer on the international community shows he lacks d wisdom to tackle his domestic challenges. He called BH local terrorist buh still calls on international intervention. On oil theft dat happens in his delta he said its refined abroad - if the oil did not leave his shore will it get to d refinery abroad? Now he blames that on the international community. Poverty and corruption he nid the help of internation communities then when the internation community thru the US state dept said his handling of BH is inflaming the crisis he said they dnt ve the right info and that an interest is feeding them wrong - he never admitted anyfin its ball passing all his life. Nigeria is on auto-democracy we don't ve a president

You are so much on point my brother. And to even think some slowpokes here are singing his praises, shows the quality n calibre of human resources we ve got in this country, just cant undstand how some people reason. Have ppl listened to obama or cameroun b4? its so sad dat the best jobs in this country are usually not given to the best brains, hence all these national embarrasmnts. Jona's answers were not intelligent enough and im sure Amanpour just had to bring the interview to a close...so sad!
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by mascot87(m): 12:26am On Jan 24, 2013
hollandis: I swear I will never set my foot into that country again.Look @ the manner of response and replies here.Is it a crime to admit your president is retardeddddddd ?
Abeg come helep me outta here jare. undecided grin
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Demdem(m): 12:26am On Jan 24, 2013
Retardeen dodged the corruption question again angry anyway no yawa, there will always be another time.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Nobody: 12:29am On Jan 24, 2013
sessydoo:

You are so much on point my brother. And to even think some slowpokes here are singing his praises, shows the quality n calibre of human resources we ve got in this country, just cant undstand how some people reason. Have ppl listened to obama or cameroun b4? its so sad dat the best jobs in this country are usually not given to the best brains, hence all these national embarrasmnts. Jona's answers were not intelligent enough and im sure Amanpour just had to bring the interview to a close...so sad!
Obama and James Cameron are not Jonathan. Obama and Cameron are are not the same human beings either. See beyond your nose and accept your president for the good he is trying to do. He is there and you must work with him for good and stop whining!
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Demdem(m): 12:29am On Jan 24, 2013
on a jovial note, retardeen made me to remember this man in that jacket worn on his ijaw outfit grin grin

Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 24, 2013
debosky: I was disappointed, as usual, with GEJ's comportment, his delivery and the way he came across.

A very uninspiring and tepid performance.
In-fact,largest numbers of Nigerian population are like that.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by hasyak(m): 12:39am On Jan 24, 2013
sessydoo:

very

+6.8
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by taharqa: 12:45am On Jan 24, 2013
Wadeoye:

Stop that 4500MW propaganda. Until we begin to see constant power supply, dont come here with those useless figures. Who cares if you generate 1000MW? Just give me power - we now pay more than 3 times what we used to pay for power still we dont still have it.

See this CLOWN!! Who is talking about constant power supply at this time? Constant Power in 2 years with 4500MW? Even GEJ admitted that the power situation is not yet stable (and said that it wold begin to approach that by this year's end) but said that it is IMPROVING. Any person that disagrees in Nigeria with that cant be helped . So wouldn't waste my time any further on you....
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by hollandis(f): 12:49am On Jan 24, 2013
i listened to your comments and made biased judgement against the president without even watching the interview.

I decided to watch it again and realised jonathan was on point smiley

Here is the full video

http://amanpour.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/23/nigeria-battles-to-stop-spread-of-al-qaeda-chaos-in-africa/

Never in my life will i listen to your comments and make judgement .It is bias that kills Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by dlox147(m): 12:50am On Jan 24, 2013
guy shut up!!! you talk as if u care 4 this ccountry?!am sure u r one of the FOOLS dat left naija...tell me "WHAT HAVE U DONE IN UR OWN LITTLE WAY 2 BETTER UR COUNTRY?"..PESSIMIST abi na complex issues u get sef
truth4meal: when jonah contracted the security of pipelines to militants its the international communities' fault abi? If GEJ can't secure his border it their fault again abi? Okay if the few elements arrested are not punished it the internationa communities' fault abi? Then what's jonah's fault nothing! Its d fault of Nigerians that vote in a "faultless" president. Responsibility is key in leadership. Take charge!!!
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by taharqa: 12:50am On Jan 24, 2013
truth4meal: I never expected u to say the truth so it shldnt amaze you if I just watch u and ur oga ve a free day disgracing urselves. Soon the transcript will reveal how much of a clueless spree u and jonah is on.

Look at something close to the transcript. Point out what I said that was wrong, and ask yourself again if there is any iota of truth in your own interpretation (that is if you are capable):

her testimony to Congress on Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton cited jihadist group Boko Haram as part of the broader Islamic militant threat in Africa.

Clinton said that the West-African group, whose name means "Western education is sinful" is a major threat to Nigeria – Africa’s largest oil exporter.

In an interview with CNN’s Christiane Amanpour on Wednesday, Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan agreed that Boko Haram could pose an existential threat to his country.

“If Boko Haram is not contained, it would be a threat not only to Nigeria, but to West Africa, Central Africa and of course to North Africa,” he said. “Elements of Boko Haram link up with some of al Qaeda in northern Mali and other North African countries.”

Emotional Clinton angrily denies Benghazi cover-up

For that reason, he said his government is “totally committed” to working with friendly nations to help contain problems in Mali. Like many other world leaders, Jonathan said the problem there has been exacerbated by the free flow of weapons out of Libya since the fall of dictator Moammar Gadhafi.

President Jonathan admitted that initially Boko Haram caught Nigeria off guard; now, he said, the country has been making progress to contain “the Boko Haram saga.”

He said his government is working day and night to make sure that the deadly attacks on an Algerian oil field do not happen in Nigeria.

The Economist reports that the death toll from Boko Haram attacks in 2012 was 1,099 – double was it was the previous year.

“If you look at the last six months, incidents of killing started dropping,” President Jonathan contended, insisting that the government is gaining control.

He denied suggestions from the U.S. State Department that the Nigerian government has conducted a large quantity of arrests and killings that have been indiscriminate, possibly driving more people into the hands of Boko Haram.

“The United States of America is completely wrong,” he told Amanpour. “No security agency arrests anybody just for the love of arrest. We have intelligence that enables us to arrest the people who have been arrested.”

President Jonathan also insists that poverty and unemployment are not fueling the violent rise of Boko Haram – citing religion as the primary motivation of this jihadist group.

As part of a counter terrorism effort, President Jonathan’s national security adviser has sought to engage in dialogue with Boko Haram.

Jonathan told Amanpour that the discourse has helped the situation, and that he will continue to pursue this strategy.

The Power of the Presidency

Christiane Amanpour was the first journalist to interview Goodluck Jonathan when he assumed the presidency in April 2010. One focus of that conversation was about the endemic electric outages that average Nigerians face.

Three years later, despite continued problems and a report by Nigeria's Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission that says 60% of Nigerians are without access to power, Jonathan said that the country has made significant strides.

“That is one area where Nigerians are quite pleased with the government – that our commitment to improve power is working,” he said. “I promise you before the end of this year, power outages will be reasonably stable in Nigeria.”

Endemic Corruption

“You cannot change the mindset of people by waving your hand. You must take means to make sure that you don’t create an environment where everyone will be corrupt and we are doing it very well,” Jonathan said.

He cited the previous elections as signs of success against corruption. International observers, The African Union, and the Independent National Electoral Commission all praised the polling.

But there is still widespread corruption in the oil industry.

Last April, Nigerian Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said that 400,000 barrels of oil a day were looted from the country in just one month.
The International Energy Agency said that $7 billion dollars a year is lost annually to oil theft.

“Frankly speaking, speaking I want the international community to support Nigeria because this stolen crude is being bought by refineries abroad and they know the crude oil was stolen,” Jonathan told Amanpour. “The world must condemn what is wrong
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by taharqa: 12:51am On Jan 24, 2013
hollandis: i listened to your comments and made biased judgement against the president without even watching the interview.

I decided to watch it again and realised jonathan was on point smiley

Here is the full video

Never in my life will i listen to your comments and make judgement .It is bias that kills Nigerians

LEARN that nx time you hear... Kudos for yor honesty though
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by LRNZH(m): 12:51am On Jan 24, 2013
I do not need to insult GEJ.

But he has not got charisma or quick thinking to lead 150 million Nigerians wallahi.
GEJ's responses are devoid of any insight.

It is like a "your mama...your mama too" tirade by two little boys.

Amanpour: 60% (should be more) of Nigerians do not have access to constant electricity
GEJ: Go and ask in Lagos, Abuja etc. Power is one sector we have improved upon. (He repeats himself. Finish)

GEJ cannot even state by how many megawatts his administration has increased power generation.

I don't want to go on....

2015....May God help Nigeria.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Pygru: 12:52am On Jan 24, 2013
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by hollandis(f): 12:54am On Jan 24, 2013
taharqa:

LEARN that nx time you hear... Kudos for yor honesty though

Am always an objective person ,Most people commenting here did not actually watch the interview but as amanpour said "they didnt have power to watch it" smiley
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by dlox147(m): 12:55am On Jan 24, 2013
GUY! ON A SERIOUS NOTE,'U NEED TO GROW UP'!!!!..NA UR OWN WORSE PASS??
Demdem: on a jovial note, retardeen made me to remember this man in that jacket worn on his ijaw outfit grin grin

Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by takedat(m): 12:56am On Jan 24, 2013
Lacking in conviction and self esteem as usual!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

COVID-19: SERAP Asks Buhari To Use Confiscated Stolen Assets As Isolation Centre / I Am satisfied Nigeria Is still one After That 'little Fracas' - Yakubu Gowon / 100 Days In Office: Five Times Tinubu Has Yielded To Public, Party Pressure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.