Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight (19422 Views)

5 Questions Nigerians Want Amanpour To Ask Buhari / Watch Christiane Amanpour Interview President Buhari On CNN (July 21) / Buhari's Interview With CNN Christiane Amanpour (Full Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Nobody: 12:59am On Jan 24, 2013
LRNZH: I do not need to insult GEJ.

But he has not got charisma or quick thinking to lead 150 million Nigerians wallahi.
GEJ's responses are devoid of any insight.

It is like a "your mama...your mama too" tirade by two little boys.

Amanpour: 60% (should be more) of Nigerians do not have access to constant electricity
GEJ: Go and ask in Lagos, Abuja etc. Power is one sector we have improved upon. (He repeats himself. Finish)

GEJ cannot even state by how many megawatts his administration has increased power generation.

I don't want to go on....

2015....May God help Nigeria.
Who has lead the nation with charisma since its existence? As if moving the nation forward is about charisma! Please, spare me your petty unacceptable comment.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Demdem(m): 1:01am On Jan 24, 2013
dlox147: GUY! ON A SERIOUS NOTE,'U NEED TO GROW UP'!!!!..NA UR OWN WORSE PASS??

my friend, free ur rigid mind and catch some fun even in the midst of serious issues. grin
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by dlox147(m): 1:04am On Jan 24, 2013
YOOOOUUUUUUU...
Demdem:

my friend, free ur rigid mind and catch some fun even in the midst of serious issues. grin
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Afolabs101: 1:05am On Jan 24, 2013
@ifihearam and taharqa,

Must you insult people?? You have your view, others have a different view, stick to the facts to make your points without calling people all sorts of names. The same goes for those opposing you, there is no need to hurl insults at the President. Lets keep this objective!

Some people are saying that GEJ is working, power is improving, corruption is reducing, security is better etc But do not forget that he is a product of the PDP who has ruled Nigeria for almost 14 years.

POWER - it is a great idea to privatise the genco's and disco's but our transmission infrastructure has a maximum capacity of less than 6,000MW and covers less than 40% of the country with no plans to invest in and upgrade it. Manitoba are to operate it only, without significant investment. We talk of going from just under 4,000MW in 2009/2010 to a peak of 4,500MW this year

OIL THEFT - Til date, NNPC/the Federal Government do not know how much oil is extracted from the ground, they rely on the IOC's to give account to them. Put in meters at all flow stations and monitor them. Otherwise do not complain about oil theft. Pipeline stealing accounts for only a fraction of what is stolen. Politicians in collusion with NNPC and the IOC's fill VLCC's with crude they do not pay for. The real problem is at the terminals.

CORRUPTION - According to Transparency International, in 2011 we were 143 out of 183, in 2012 we were 139 out of 174, which is slightly worse. In our history as a nation the longest prison sentence served for corruption is 18 months (Bode George and Alams). Both of whom are PDP top shots with regular access to the President and other officials who have a duty to fight and abhor corruption. The $12bn oil windfall, $16bn spent on power, the pensions scandal, Halliburton, Siemens, the subsidy scandal and Farook and Otedola, the list goes on and on.

SECURITY - At least those of us on Nairaland are well informed of the extra judicial killings carried out by the Police and the Military in the South alone. Just read Metro section of Punch and every other day you will count another victim. I don't live in the North but is it not the same military and police? Also, there is no clear plan to deal with BH - dialogue one day, no dialogue the next. The "BH are in my Government" statement and the links that have been established between Government figures and BH show that there is clearly some level of Government complicity. My President needs to put me and the rest of us first and chase out those in his Govt who are involved in this complicity.

Now I'm not saying GEJ is responsible for all of this but with the way the country is, the President can not just say "we are working and things will get better". He owes it to the people to firstly admit the flaws, then decisively deal with them.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Demdem(m): 1:06am On Jan 24, 2013
dlox147: YOOOOUUUUUUU...

wettin i do?
Happy Eid-el-maulud grin
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Afolabs101: 1:08am On Jan 24, 2013
taharqa:

Yo dey craze ni? You no det fear?

I say Power increase yo dey tell me tales about your house. So? Like yo count. Anyways, even if it improves in your area I can SWEAR that yo would NEVER say it.

GEJ met Power spply at less than 2400MW, it is a little above 4500MW today and increasing. That is improvement enough for me apart from the fact that I feel it at home .....

He did not meet power at 2,400MW. Obj left it around 3,000MW and by 2009/2010 when the NIPP's had come on stream it had increased to between 3,900MW and 4,000MW. The peak this year was just above 4,500MW like you said. Also, remember that the extra capacity is due to the NIPP's that were started long before GEJ came into power. I'm not saying Obj did anything as those who built IPP's did so as business investments, while the $16bn the Government spent seemed to have vanished into thin air.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by LRNZH(m): 1:08am On Jan 24, 2013
all4naija: Who has lead the nation with charisma since its existence? As if moving the nation forward is about charisma! Please, spare me your petty unacceptable comment.

OBJ as much as I do not like him never lacked charisma and by no means less Yar'adua. Zik, Tafawa-Balewa, Murtala Moh'd, Awolowo.... The list is endless....

This fellow called GEJ is slow witted, appears to be out of touch from the reality of leadership, lacks confidence (and by extension charisma).
They do not term him CLUELESS for nothing (Vox populi...).

Please what is one thing you have learnt from the responses he offered to Amanpour's questions?

That stolen crude is refined abroad so international community should come and help Nigeria or that BH is a local terrorist group so we need other countries to help us fight them etc

Anyway you have calibrated yourself to GEJ's level of intelligence so you can see no problem. I may be wasting bandwidth in trying to educate you.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by dlox147(m): 1:09am On Jan 24, 2013
SAME HERE BRO...
Demdem:

wettin i do?
Happy Eid-el-maulud grin
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by LRNZH(m): 1:14am On Jan 24, 2013
Pray for Nigeria
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Nobody: 1:42am On Jan 24, 2013
I especially hated his response to the question on oil theft. What the hell did he mean?

The number one attribute of good leaders is the willingness to accept responsibility when things go wrong. For me, Jonathan's failure to properly articulate a plan of action in dealing with the menace of crude oil theft (choosing instead to shift the blame to foreign buyers and refiners) has just confirmed to me the kind of leader he is: Weak, indecisive, vacillating, incoherent and clearly lacking in direction. A country as big and as complex as Nigeria SURELY deserves a better leader.

For me, this is yet another example of how NOT to lead.

I am learning a lot from him, only in the negative sense.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Nobody: 2:00am On Jan 24, 2013
LRNZH:

OBJ as much as I do not like him never lacked charisma and by no means less Yar'adua. Zik, Tafawa-Balewa, Murtala Moh'd, Awolowo.... The list is endless....

This fellow called GEJ is slow witted, appears to be out of touch from the reality of leadership, lacks confidence (and by extension charisma).
They do not term him CLUELESS for nothing (Vox populi...).

Please what is one thing you have learnt from the responses he offered to Amanpour's questions?

That stolen crude is refined abroad so international community should come and help Nigeria or that BH is a local terrorist group so we need other countries to help us fight them etc

Anyway you have calibrated yourself to GEJ's level of intelligence so you can see no problem. I may be wasting bandwidth in trying to educate you.

Comeon! We've heard worse about those names you listed. People even called the late Yar'adua sickle-cell sufferer. Please, learn to air your views appropriately without insults.

Indeed, I don't still see how charisma can move a nation forward! Would you care to explain that?
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by 3kay945(m): 4:33am On Jan 24, 2013
Why short mins something was wrong somewhere. what about the tweet Amanpour requested for, from Nigerian
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Tgirl4real(f): 8:28am On Jan 24, 2013
debosky: I was disappointed, as usual, with GEJ's comportment, his delivery and the way he came across.

A very uninspiring and tepid performance.

U can say that again Debo.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by debosky(m): 9:03am On Jan 24, 2013
As for those claiming he was 'on point' - how 'on point' was his answer on how people in HIS government are stealing $7 billion a year? An intelligent president would talk about how his administration is actively fighting corruption or refute the allegations by showing evidence of prosecuting corrupt officials.

How on point is it to say stop buying stolen crude before he can stop people stealing crude in HIS OWN country under HIS OWN control? An intelligent president would talk about what concrete steps he is taking to tackle the problem by improving security around the pipelines and export terminals, and along our coastline - not blaming others.

How 'on point' is he to go on some rubbish rant about you need to generate and transmit before you can 'light the bulb' when discussing what he is doing on electricity? Is he trying to educate Amanpour on how electricity gets to the light switch in your room? undecided Any rational, intelligent, well prepared person would talk about xMW increase or x% increase or xmore hours of electricity per day compared to 2010, he would talk about concrete steps being taken to improve things

Unfortunately it seems many Nigerians have, as someone said, 'calibrated themselves' to GEJ's intelligence levels.

His performance was abysmal - an 'ordinary' Akwa Ibom State Governor Godswill Akpabio would do 100 times better if given an international opportunity to shape the perception of his administration.

3 Likes

Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Roverguy: 9:26am On Jan 24, 2013
guys, pls when can i watch a repeat of the interview?
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by truth4meal(m): 10:17am On Jan 24, 2013
Roverguy: guys, pls when can i watch a repeat of the interview?
if I were you I won't bother - that was not an interview it was national disgrace!!!
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Oahray: 10:34am On Jan 24, 2013
truth4meal: if I were you I won't bother - that was not an interview it was national disgrace!!!
Stop exaggerating jor. Besides his seeming lack of composture and the cold, he answered questions well and raised valid points. I watched the video, and came to realise that the majority commenting here didnt watch it.

NB: I like the part where he said America got it wrong about Boko Haram. I prefer that to an orator president who would lick USA's a.s.s just to be in their good books and impress Amanpour
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by debosky(m): 11:35am On Jan 24, 2013
Oahray:
NB: I like the part where he said America got it wrong about Boko Haram. I prefer that to an orator president who would lick USA's a.s.s just to be in their good books and impress Amanpour

They got it wrong? Why didn't he provide the true cause of Boko Haram then? It is quite foolish to say the US got it wrong without telling us what the right thing is.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by takedat(m): 11:45am On Jan 24, 2013
debosky:

They got it wrong? Why didn't he provide the true cause of Boko Haram then? It is quite foolish to say the US got it wrong without telling us what the right thing is.
They got it wrong 'cos Obama and Hilary are card carrying ACN members and are trying to politicise Boko Haram to give GEJ a bad name! Lol
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Demdem(m): 11:45am On Jan 24, 2013
Oahray: Stop exaggerating jor. Besides his seeming lack of composture and the cold, he answered questions well and raised valid points. I watched the video, and came to realise that the majority commenting here didnt watch it.

The international community that includes the US also got it wrong as regards free and fair elections.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by truth4meal(m): 11:48am On Jan 24, 2013
Oahray: Stop exaggerating jor. Besides his seeming lack of composture and the cold, he answered questions well and raised valid points. I watched the video, and came to realise that the majority commenting here didnt watch it.

if you must knw that interview was in a chroma studio where temprature can be controlled. Blaming cold for his apparent loss of composure is another in d series of ball passing. If that interview is insightful to you then u must be intellectually blind. And what did america get wrong on bh - dat poverty and corruption is responsible for boko haram? - can u distance dat assertion from the truth? If poverty is not the cause why then is most members of d sect poverty strucked? Or are you referring to the true assertion by US state dept that our security operatives as killed more innocent Nigerians than boko haram? Abeg watch interviews of other individual presidents on CNN and compare it to GEJ if jonah is still not a disgrace afta that then u are equally a disgrace
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by truth4meal(m): 12:05pm On Jan 24, 2013
all4naija: Seriously, you have an issue! Calling on international community to help with terrorism doesn't change the ideology behind Boko Haram is local, while referring to their operation motto of 'Western Education is forbidden'. Terrorism by definition is not a responsibility of a single nation.

There are lots of work to be done and they don't rest on the president shoulders alone. You perpetrating spam mails all over the world need to change your habitual criminal attitude and find a way of moving the country forward. Stop making noise and act now. There is nothing impact coming from the president without the citizens willing to change or do their parts. That doesn't mean Mr. president is perfect but the elements of disturbance are weighing him down and slowing progress of democracy.

I see good in him, just that people fail to see his side and how much he is trying his best. At this point in time the president needs your support than ever before to move the country forward. Please, stop whining like a hungry baby!

Nigerian leaders, are too corrupt and the citizens must take action or stop lamenting about the conditions of things.
its vain replying you but I will for d fun of it. You seriously can't tell me GEJ will invite me to play my part wen he allocate 1billion for feeding or when he alongside his croonies share our collective wealth. He won't nid our help wen he dishes contract to his guys. Am sure he won't nid me if he wants to allocate millions for newspaper of dash private jet to CAN president. GEJ will not nid me when money is being shared. He only nids me to be Nigeria and play my part by caring for an economy he bled. He will nid me to show am patriotic when he claims he knows BH but culdnt tell the world. GEJ expects me to contribute my quota when his cluelessness has sapped d afore contributed quota.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Oahray: 1:23pm On Jan 24, 2013
debosky:

There are certain things that are kept private and confidential. Its part of being a soveriegn state. The interview was not done because Amanpour is interested in you as a Nigerian and wants you to know more about Jonathan. CNN is pro-America.

I wouldnt state my reservations about the integrity of CNN as regards other nations. If he says USA got it wrong, he isnt obliged to tell them how. Afterall, no one would ask Obama on CNN about their predator drones on foreign soil like pakistan, somalia and yemen, and how many deaths have resulted from them.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Oahray: 1:39pm On Jan 24, 2013
truth4meal: if you must knw that interview was in a chroma studio where temprature can be controlled. Blaming cold for his apparent loss of composure is another in d series of ball passing. If that interview is insightful to you then u must be intellectually blind. And what did america get wrong on bh - dat poverty and corruption is responsible for boko haram? - can u distance dat assertion from the truth? If poverty is not the cause why then is most members of d sect poverty strucked? Or are you referring to the true assertion by US state dept that our security operatives as killed more innocent Nigerians than boko haram? Abeg watch interviews of other individual presidents on CNN and compare it to GEJ if jonah is still not a disgrace afta that then u are equally a disgrace
You seriously had to insult me cos I do not share your view? Wow!

Well I said lack of composure AND cold. How does that translate into cold being the cause of his lack of composure? Man, you really need to use your head next time you want to reply me. I'm not here to trade insults with anyone. If that's your aim, you can stop replying me.

How can poverty be the cause of Boko Haram? Corruption, yes, but poverty? C'mon! Did you even think before you typed that? Where do you suppose a bunch of starved people would get the materials to make bombs?

Boko Haram has rich sponsors and they exploit their poor and religiously fanatical people. Poor peeps always do the dirty job, that is how the world operates.
IMO, its foolish to claim boko haram is a poor group.

Every person is different in his own way. GEJ has never been an orator. So he cannot be an Obama, a Ghadaffi, or a Cameron. You guys only feel bad cos it was a CNN interview and you feel he has disgraced Nigeria in the eyes of America and the world. Its the same old inferiority complex creeping up.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Oahray: 1:41pm On Jan 24, 2013
Demdem:

The international community that includes the US also got it wrong as regards free and fair elections.
how did elections come into the Boko Haram ish? Continue worshipping America. I guess you still believe USA knows everything and can never go wrong. Well, good for you.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by LRNZH(m): 1:52pm On Jan 24, 2013
all4naija: Comeon! We've heard worse about those names you listed. People even called the late Yar'adua sickle-cell sufferer. Please, learn to air your views appropriately without insults.

Indeed, I don't still see how charisma can move a nation forward! Would you care to explain that?

Confidence (comportment and charisma included) is usually a sign of ability and being on top of things.

If your are recruiting and interviewing people for a hot profile job...please tell me you will overlook how the interviewed compose themselves and handle questions.

GEJ could not back his statement with any details.... your commander in chief indeed.

By the way let me ask you a simple question:
What happened to SURE-P and the promised refineries one year later?

Wait until subsidy is finally removed by this your favourite president.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Wadeoye(m): 2:04pm On Jan 24, 2013
taharqa:

See this CLOWN!! Who is talking about constant power supply at this time? Constant Power in 2 years with 4500MW? Even GEJ admitted that the power situation is not yet stable (and said that it wold begin to approach that by this year's end) but said that it is IMPROVING. Any person that disagrees in Nigeria with that cant be helped . So wouldn't waste my time any further on you....

There is no improvement - nothing we see now that we have not seen before except the price/tariff that has gone through the roof. Power improvement/constant supply across the country can never be controversial. And we will not be deceived by "election-is-approaching" achievements.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Demdem(m): 4:51pm On Jan 24, 2013
Oahray: how did elections come into the Boko Haram ish? Continue worshipping America. I guess you still believe USA knows everything and can never go wrong. Well, good for you.

Actually its our govt bitching around US. If a report comes from the US that favours them like that of the elections, they embrace it and regard it as campaign promise kept even though we all know the elections weren't credible.
Now that a report is out which doesn't favour them, they tend to rubbish it. I don't need the US to tell me that JTF inadvertently has killed so many innocent in the process of fighting Evil boko. That's the truth and the retardeens denial to such is just plain silly.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by debosky(m): 4:59pm On Jan 24, 2013
Oahray: There are certain things that are kept private and confidential. Its part of being a soveriegn state. The interview was not done because Amanpour is interested in you as a Nigerian and wants you to know more about Jonathan. CNN is pro-America.

This is nonsense - what is GEJ keeping confidential? If he felt it was confidential, then he should have said so - it is wrong to say the US know where to go to get accurate information, as if it is easily available. Why not tell us all the 'accurate' information?

When 9/11 happened, it was traced to Osama, no one said the cause is 'confidential'. When Farouk tried to bomb a plane, it was traced to Yemen - no one said it was 'confidential'. it is only Nigeria's case that is different.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Oahray: 5:46pm On Jan 24, 2013
Demdem:

Actually its our govt bitching around US. If a report comes from the US that favours them like that of the elections, they embrace it and regard it as campaign promise kept even though we all know the elections weren't credible.
Now that a report is out which doesn't favour them, they tend to rubbish it. I don't need the US to tell me that JTF inadvertently has killed so many innocent in the process of fighting Evil boko. That's the truth and the retardeens denial to such is just plain silly.
I am pretty sure you got my point. We place too much importance on the opinion of the US as if they are omniscient.

The part about our govt bitching around the US is spot on. However, it is not just our govt. Its a human thing. Its easier to accept compliments and reject harsh criticism even if deserved.

About the JTF ish, show me a country that has not killed innocent people. Is the US any better?
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Oahray: 5:59pm On Jan 24, 2013
debosky:

This is nonsense - what is GEJ keeping confidential? If he felt it was confidential, then he should have said so - it is wrong to say the US know where to go to get accurate information, as if it is easily available. Why not tell us all the 'accurate' information?

When 9/11 happened, it was traced to Osama, no one said the cause is 'confidential'. When Farouk tried to bomb a plane, it was traced to Yemen - no one said it was 'confidential'. it is only Nigeria's case that is different.
First of all, this fuss is because he was interviewed on US media. Its all about public image, not so?

This is not the first time he had been quizzed on Boko haram. Earlier he had told the Nigerian media about the rot of boko haram extending to members of his government without naming anyone. That was all the info he gave, yet some people actually criticised him for making such statements to the media. If he wasnt persecuted then for keeping info from Nigerians to whom he is answerable, why do it now? Because a US based media asked him the questions?

You truly believe the US govt's version of the september11 story is all there is to it?

I am not a fan of GEJ, but I would not rubbish him for not telling USA what they want to hear when he has not told Nigerians either.
Re: Christiane Amanpour To Interview President Jonathan Tonight by Demdem(m): 6:02pm On Jan 24, 2013
Oahray: I

About the JTF ish, show me a country that has not killed innocent people. Is the US any better?

Good, we are talking then. Why then did the retardeen try to deny it? Even the US kill the innocent when using their drones and they apologize afterwards.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

John Oyegun's Daughter, Eniyemamwen, Weds In Lagos / We’ll Deliver 10,000 MW Target - Fashola / What Obasanjo Did To Me For Begging Him Not To Run For Second Term – Senator Kha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.