Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,164 members, 7,818,536 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees (38822 Views)

Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH / A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Dignitary: 11:41am On Jan 27, 2013
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by funkymedina: 11:45am On Jan 27, 2013
outofthebox:
Google suppose pick this girl oo
Nigerians and ur inferiority complex. There is nothing wrong with what she is saying , she is nigerian not british, many brits cant even speak as well as she does or express themselves as intelligently as she did and yall will be ass licking them because they are oyibo. If english is not her first language, she doesnt have to blow phonetics. She spoke well and intelligently, I wish her success in her studies. How many europeans are speaking perfect english but u dare not complain. ass..wipes!

4 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Joey82(m): 11:50am On Jan 27, 2013
well, we keep complaining of the rot in the education sector,
we keep complaining about how students are failing ssce at an alarming rate,
yet the number of 1st class graduates in our institutions keep increasing exponentially.
is it that these students are now working harder/brighter than the previous generations,
or is it just an unhealthy competition among schools to make their products more marketable especially with the advent of private unis.

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Orikinla(m): 11:53am On Jan 27, 2013
musiwa14: it is not the population, we are talking about... But the population of graduate compare to other nigeria universities. It means they are just graduating anybody at UNN with first class....
. They are just producing more quantity than quality. Majority of the graduates of UNN are under achievers in their occupations and professions. The men are good salary earners and the women are best performers in the bedroom and not the boardroom. Please, give me a list of just 1000 UNN graduates making waves in Nigeria and abroad?
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Afam4eva(m): 11:54am On Jan 27, 2013
Orikinla: . They are just producing more quantity than quality. Majority of the graduates of UNN are under achievers in their occupations and professions. The men are good salary earners and the women are best performers in the bedroom and not the boardroom. Please, give me a list of just 1000 UNN graduates making waves in Nigeria and abroad?
SMH

3 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Diidi(f): 11:55am On Jan 27, 2013
undecided
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by kixo(m): 11:55am On Jan 27, 2013
Its gud 4 dem, but 2 graduate 116 1st class graduates, damn!!! They should come to Ambrose Alli University, I bet you, some of them will come out with 2nd class lower
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by bigfrancis21: 11:56am On Jan 27, 2013
Afam4eva:
I thought about that too cos even if UNN is the most populous school in the country, 18000 students graduating is just too much.
I am one of the graduating students of UNN. I attended the convocation ceremony on friday. The huge population that was witnessed at the occasion was enormous, to say the least. China is even less populated than what we experienced that day.
Coming to the quoted figures, there is no error or hyper-inflation in the results. I'm going to give you a rundown of the make-up of the figure.
First, the University of Nigeria is an all-round university that offers virtually all the courses you can think of in Nigeria, starting from medicine, engineering, law, social sciences, physical sciences, biological sciences, agricultural sciences, arts, veterinary medicine and what have you. By virtue of this fact, the innumerable individual courses being offered attracts so many fresh undergraduates to fill up these spaces, thus making the undergraduate intake very high. Don't forget that UNN has one of the highest top three admission quotas for universities in Nigeria.
Second, it has five campuses spread over four states in Nigeria - Nsukka campus, Enugu campus, Aba campus, Nwafor Orizu college of education Nsugbe Anambra, and Alvan Ikoku college of education, Owerri Imo state. UNICAL was formerly a campus of UNN until it later became a full fledged university of its own. The Nsukka campus alone is very enormous in size. The total undergraduate figures of these five campuses alone when put together exceeds 40,000. This accounts for contributing to the large number of graduating students for this year. The graduating figures from Nsukka and Enugu campuses alone should circle close to 10,000.
Third, a few percentage of the number comes from overstays in the school.
Fourth, past graduated medical and pharmacy students of two years ago till present were called back and instructed to participate in the convocation ceremony of this year. They all paid the convocation fee of N10,000. It came as a surprise to them given that medical and pharmacy students did not use to participate in convocation ceremonies in the past. They only had oath taking ceremonies and it ended there.
All these accounts for the high graduating number this year. And this trend is expected to continue.

2 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by nanotechy: 12:00pm On Jan 27, 2013
musiwa14: there will say is igbo bashing.. but if i was the president, and i wanted to pick a VC from the east, i would have picked the VC of Enugu state university of technology who got kidnap because i look at the school. and i notice that during the period he was VC, he upgraded the school facilities. It shows he has a heart for what he does .. and not prof Nedo who did little to nothing for UNN as VC.. so it is not about Igbo bashing..
i think ur 'bashing' is even on rapid fire 'cos prof. Nebo is the best VC UNN ever had. I say this because i spent 4yrs under his vice chancerllorship. He changed everything and saved the reputation of the school. Because of nebo, UNN has regained its stance as arguably the best uni in naija. Don't even talk abt uniben (i'm getn an MSc thr as i write), unn makes it look like 'Asa nnentu high school'. I don't know about all these figures vanguard threw up but, unn/unec has more than 22 halls of residence, more than 10 faculties plus schools of med,vet. Med and law. Its a huge school mate! BTW, ur english sef bad no be small. It's wrong also to use the ability to speak a certain language as a yard stick to measure one's intelligence. The best researcher i'v ever worked with, speaks and writes a very bad english. . .even worse than urs but that doesnt make him any less intelligent. Enough said.

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by bigfrancis21: 12:02pm On Jan 27, 2013
Orikinla: . They are just producing more quantity than quality. Majority of the graduates of UNN are under achievers in their occupations and professions. The men are good salary earners and the women are best performers in the bedroom and not the boardroom. Please, give me a list of just 1000 UNN graduates making waves in Nigeria and abroad?
Thoughtless post, thickly riveted in tribalism.

3 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by bigfrancis21: 12:06pm On Jan 27, 2013
babyosisi: [size=28pt]Great Lions and Lionesses![/size]

Where are the lions and lionesses in the house?
I'm right here! You roar like a lioness. Are you one?
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by yomip3t(m): 12:07pm On Jan 27, 2013
Results in which most of them can never defend ! No wonder the NYSC Coordinators keeps shouting at NYSC camps that most of them can not even express themselves not to talk of defending their results. They embarrass NYSC at the place of primary assignments.
And even with the 116 1st class graduates, where is UNN in Africa University ranking ? lol.

Don't be deceived. Most of them cant defend it. If that is how 1st is been obtained. Our grandpa and dads should all have 1st class because they had sound and disciplined education. Example is Tafawa Balewa on his recent post when he visited USA, Listen to a sound and solid speech as at 1963 or so......Check out GEJ speech on the latest interview with the CNN journalist. You would clearly identify the DEGREE of then and now.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by bigfrancis21: 12:10pm On Jan 27, 2013
musiwa14: why are you telling lies.. I have look at the university, when one of the prof, does not know how to speak english well... You notice I complain when Goodluck appointed Prof Nebo.. I complain because I believe he lack the capability to handle the set position and the fact is , I look at the University facilitics and compare it with the rest of Nigeria. I notice, it looks like they have been stealing all the money sent to that university.

And i dont see the logic in sending a prof from that school who was suppose to fix the problem and could not as a minister. This is one of the reason. And the other was the fact that , he is mechanical engineer and not electrical engineer.

And if Prof Nedo did a bad job been the VC of UNN, he will do a bad job as minister. This is why I would oppose him becoming a minister. I think there are many prof who can be minister, but it should be based on merit..
And you're yabbing someone else's English? When you cannot string together one or two correct English sentences? SMH
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by londoner: 12:14pm On Jan 27, 2013
Wow...seriously I have to laugh at the way some people, almost instantly try to undermine anything seemingly good coming from Igbo land.

It went from..
1)....numbers must be wrong (perhaps understandable)
2) comparisons with other universities to make UNN seem inforior....(but only the ones located in South Western Nigeria of course)
3)Accusations of stolen/embezzled money....yet again in comparison to selected universities located in SW Nigeria.....

I can't tell you how amusing it is for me to watch this unfold, on time and like clockwork on Nairaland.

Why do some people have such a stiff neck, when it comes to seemingly positive news, coming from a region other than their own?

For the students that earned a 1st class degree from UNN....well done!

10 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Broker23(m): 12:21pm On Jan 27, 2013
Afam4eva:
Could it be that the population of UNN is more than that of some other schools? Also don't forget that UNN has a campus in Enugu and the number could be a combination of students from all their campus.
And other affiliated institutions ie ALVAN
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Symphony007: 12:24pm On Jan 27, 2013
I'm extremely skeptical about this!!
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by DrWhizy(m): 12:36pm On Jan 27, 2013
musiwa14: there will say is igbo bashing.. but if i was the president, and i wanted to pick a VC from the east, i would have picked the VC of Enugu state university of technology who got kidnap because i look at the school. and i notice that during the period he was VC, he upgraded the school facilities. It shows he has a heart for what he does .. and not prof Nedo who did little to nothing for UNN as VC.. so it is not about Igbo bashing..
mr, I dunno wher u made d assertion dat prof nebo has'nt done anything in unn; proli in ur home but just so u no dat unscrupulous statements lik dis do not help any1.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by nanotechy: 12:40pm On Jan 27, 2013
babyosisi: [size=28pt]Great Lions and Lionesses![/size]

Where are the lions and lionesses in the house?
*roars with every ferocity there is*

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by bigfrancis21: 12:40pm On Jan 27, 2013
musiwa14: look at the picture of UNN, really make me want to weep that people could steal this way.

We are talking of Billions sent to this university. Haba, Igbo people..

The truth is. There is a need for Godly leadership in Igboland.. UNN is sad to see.. it make the heart weep, that Billions have been stole. it is just sad.. and Goodluck want to makes this man minister.. It is sad for nigeria.. i pity you people.
All your posts are deeply off-point. What exactly are you even trying to say? You jump from this to that, from UNN having a problem to Igbo bashing. You then start bringing up UIlorin, and trying to compare it with UNN. By the way, can you compare that school with UNN? Definitely you can't. Internationally, UNN is well known. The school is part of the best schools in the world listed in the databases of US/UK schools. When I was applying for my masters, I never had any problem locating my UG university meanwhile many Nigerian universities are terribly missing in those lists! UI included! Infact I never saw the name of UNN missing in all the websites of the US/UK universities I checked out during my masters application. What the heck are you telling me about?! Please, get that useless tribalistic mentality off your head. UI cannot be compared to UNN. What about the who is who in this country who are graduates of this University? Chinua Achebe, Chimamanda Adichie, Charles Soludo, Dora Akunyili, etc. You bring UIlorin forward yet look at the terrible command of English you have. Is that the Uilorin 'tough stuff' training you underwent you're trying to show off?
All over Nigeria, UNN graduates do very well. They are hardly never-do-wells. I am one of them. Show me one successful UIlorin graduate and I'll show you 10 very successful people from UNN. By the time you're done with the rigorous 4-/5-year training in UNN, your best is brought out. Come and see for yourself. I bet you've never left southwest before to see other parts of Nigeria, while you sit behind the computer, obviously oblivious of these facts, typing thrash and falsities.
You openly condemn Prof. Nebo as having done nothing for UNN, yet Goodluck nominated him. That shows your high level of crass ignorance! How would you even know what's happening in the SE when you've never left your underdeveloped village in the south west before? And with this little access to the internet and nairaland you managed to get, you come up here spreading your ignorance and making mockery of yourself. Ignoramus.

8 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by yomip3t(m): 12:41pm On Jan 27, 2013
Results in which most of them can never defend ! No wonder the NYSC Coordinators keeps shouting at NYSC camps that most of them can not even express themselves not to talk of defending their results. They embarrass NYSC at the place of primary assignments.
And even with the 116 1st class graduates, where is UNN in Africa University ranking ? lol.

Don't be deceived. Most of them cant defend it. If that is how 1st is been obtained. Our grandpa and dads should all have 1st class because they had sound and disciplined education. Example is Tafawa Balewa on his recent post when he visited USA, Listen to a sound and solid speech as at 1963 or so......Check out GEJ speech on the latest interview with the CNN journalist. You would clearly identify the DEGREE of then and now.[b][/b][color=#990000][/color]
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by bigfrancis21: 12:46pm On Jan 27, 2013
yomip3t: Results in which most of them can never defend ! No wonder the NYSC Coordinators keeps shouting at NYSC camps that most of them can not even express themselves not to talk of defending their results. They embarrass NYSC at the place of primary assignments.

Don't be deceived. Most of them cant defend it. If that is how 1st is been obtained. Our grandpa and dads should all have 1st class because they had sound and disciplined education. Example is Tafawa Balewa on his recent post when he visited USA, Listen to a sound and solid speech as at 1963 or so......Check out GEJ speech on the latest interview with the CNN journalist. You would clearly identify the DEGREE of then and now.[b][/b][color=#990000][/color]
Obviously, jealousy is the backbone of this post.

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Albedo27(m): 12:49pm On Jan 27, 2013
116 first class!!! grin, make them go FUTO go get am nah. Even lecturer in FUTO go to UNN for their Msc and Phd programme because FUTO no be beans!
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by toboy: 12:52pm On Jan 27, 2013
musiwa14: i dont think so.. There is something wrong with UNN.... It looks funny that they graduate 18k student...

The reason is... their graduate do not refer it.. Look most school in nigeria gradute less than 5,000 new gradute but UNN is graduting 18k, there is something wrong with UNN.. and that number of first class is what it may take unilorin to produce in 3 to 4 years..

There is something wrong somewhere..

18k student.. when the other universities are graduating less than 5 k... haba... now cash and carry be this..
yes you observed well. I believe its because there were a few set that missed thier convoc because of stike and other stuff. they now joined all of them together. There will still another convoc again this same yr around october to normalise the calendar.
@ yompitt shame on you. I bet you can not enen scale through to second yr level in UNN. Cause u dont even reason like a genius. Me myself have never been to UI but i know its a nice school cuz i've met thier graduate.next time u wanna open ur trash for ur vile mouth to recieve air. Reason with ur skull!
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by nwakibie3(m): 12:55pm On Jan 27, 2013
kool J: All y'all arguing about the number of graduands from UNN...did y'all know that apart from 2 campuses and a college of medicine,UNN has another campus in aba? And an extended program run in Alvan Ikoku college of education owerri? That makes 4 campuses including sandwich program! The number wld have been more were it that UNN still runs the diploma program so pls,do some research/fact-finding b4 being stupefied. 4 campuses churned out 18,000 graduands,not 1.
you failed to mention st paul's university college awka; that makes it 5 campuses.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by wengerjay(m): 12:59pm On Jan 27, 2013
Getting first class in our universities has now become 'pure water'.University of Nigeria indeed!
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by mu2sa2: 12:59pm On Jan 27, 2013
UNN has set a "record". Another University will shortly break the record, which will again be broken by yet another university. And the "competition" continues ad infinitum!
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by yomip3t(m): 1:02pm On Jan 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Obviously, jealousy is the backbone of this post.

JEALOUSY !!! Don't you have ears,eyes to hear and see the facts. I'm not a northern guy. But this just the basic fact. How can 116 grad with 1st class in one set !!!!
Have you ever heard of that in the rest of the world ?
Think before you comment !
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by toboy: 1:10pm On Jan 27, 2013
bigfrancis21:
I am one of the graduating students of UNN. I attended the convocation ceremony on friday. The huge population that was witnessed at the occasion was enormous, to say the least. China is even less populated than what we experienced that day.
Coming to the quoted figures, there is no error or hyper-inflation in the results. I'm going to give you a rundown of the make-up of the figure.
First, the University of Nigeria is an all-round university that offers virtually all the courses you can think of in Nigeria, starting from medicine, engineering, law, social sciences, physical sciences, biological sciences, agricultural sciences, arts, veterinary medicine and what have you. By virtue of this fact, the innumerable individual courses being offered attracts so many fresh undergraduates to fill up these spaces, thus making the undergraduate intake very high. Don't forget that UNN has one of the highest top three admission quotas for universities in Nigeria.
Second, it has five campuses spread over four states in Nigeria - Nsukka campus, Enugu campus, Aba campus, Nwafor Orizu college of education Nsugbe Anambra, and Alvan Ikoku college of education, Owerri Imo state. UNICAL was formerly a campus of UNN until it later became a full fledged university of its own. The Nsukka campus alone is very enormous in size. The total undergraduate figures of these five campuses alone when put together exceeds 40,000. This accounts for contributing to the large number of graduating students for this year. The graduating figures from Nsukka and Enugu campuses alone should circle close to 10,000.
Third, a few percentage of the number comes from overstays in the school.
Fourth, past graduated medical and pharmacy students of two years ago till present were called back and instructed to participate in the convocation ceremony of this year. They all paid the convocation fee of N10,000. It came as a surprise to them given that medical and pharmacy students did not use to participate in convocation ceremonies in the past. They only had oath taking ceremonies and it ended there.
All these accounts for the high graduating number this year. And this trend is expected to continue.
it couldn't have been clearer than this!
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by mikel02: 1:12pm On Jan 27, 2013
ABU Zaria 2ndclass graduate is beta than Firstclass graduate from any University including UNN. *We* are naturaly ahead of *U*
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by PHIPEX(m): 1:13pm On Jan 27, 2013
yomip3t:

JEALOUSY !!! Don't you have ears,eyes to hear and see the facts. I'm not a northern guy. But this just the basic fact. How can 116 grad with 1st class in one set !!!!
Have you ever heard of that in the rest of the world ?
Think before you comment !
I find your post funny, if some schools gradute about 5000 students and more than 50 of them make first class, why do u think it's abnormal for 116 students to make first class out of about 18,000?

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by yomip3t(m): 1:14pm On Jan 27, 2013
toboy:
@ yompitt shame on you. I bet you can not enen scale through to second yr level in UNN. Cause u dont even reason like a genius. Me myself have never been to UI but i know its a nice school cuz i've met thier graduate.next time u wanna open ur trash for ur vile mouth to recieve air. Reason with ur skull!

Not sure if you are really educated ! and if you do , your brain should at least instruct you that it can't be possible.
How can a single university produce 116 1st graduate just on a set ? THINK !
University isn't your missionary primary school you can get 1st easily !
Have you ever heard stuffs like that in the rest of the world.

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by luvola(m): 1:15pm On Jan 27, 2013
LASU Turns Out 41
First Class Graduates
Tweet Tweet 0
Thu, 07/06/2012 -
12:18am | TAIWO
OGUNMOLA
News Education
Lagos State University (LASU), Ojo,
is set to turn out 41 first class
graduates out of 22,035
students in its 2012 convocation
ceremony.
The university’s vice-chancellor,
Prof. Oladapo Obafunwa
disclosed this on Wednesday at a
press conference to mark the
commencement of the ceremony.
Obafunwa explained that this
year’s convocation would bring
both full and part-time graduates
of 2008/2009, 2009/2010 and
2010/2011 together.
The VC in his analysis said a total
of 41 students will be awarded
First Class certificates while 2,832
made the Second Class (upper
division) list. A total number of
14,922, 4,100 and 140 others
will be awarded with Second
Class (lower division), Third Class
and Pass qualifications
respectively.
About 40 of the total figure shall
bag their PhD certificates.
Meanwhile, as part of activities to
mark the ceremony, Coconut
Breaking Festival has been
scheduled to take place at the
entrance of Badagry town on
Monday, June 11, and will be
followed by the stage adaptation
of Fred Agbeyegbe’s “The King
Must Dance Unclad” by the
university’s Department of
Theatre Arts and Music troupe.
On Monday also, the director
general, Centre for Black and
African Arts and Civilisation
(CBAAC), Prof. Tunde Babawale,
will be the guest lecturer at the
convocation lecture. The theme
for this year’s lecture is
“Reflections on Culture,
Democracy And The Quest For A
New Era,” which will take place at
the institution’s main campus.
There will be an award of
diploma and first degree
certificates while the
postgraduate category will
receive theirs on Thursday, June
Speaking on the state of the
university, Obafunwa thanked all
the workers on the campus and
their unions for what he
described as the ongoing
repositioning efforts of a once
battered university.
He thanked the Lagos State
government for its efforts to
reclaim the school’s lost glory.
The vice chancellor added that as
part of measures adopted to
change the face of the
institution, certificates will be
collected by any of the graduates
who may have fulfilled all laid
down procedures immediately
after convocation. So insummary if lasu can graduate just 41st first class out of over 25000 graduating student ( d higest in the history of the sch

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Al-Amin Bashir Bugaje, ABU Zaria Best Student 2017. Gets NNPC Scholarship / Prisons Are Better Than Our Hostels - OAU Students Cry Out (pictured) / Computer Science Lab In UNIBEN: Before & After Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.