Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,819 members, 7,820,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Being A Nigerian Housewife - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Nigerian Housewife (24540 Views)

Housewife Snatched By LG Boss Dies Mysteriously After Childbirth (pic) / Housewife Dies Rescuing Electrocuted Mate / Housewife Caught Having Sex With Lover, Fined N50,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by SisiKill1: 10:59pm On Jan 29, 2013
I know a woman who works from home...they converted their downstairs bedroom into an office for her. She's got everything in there....more than she would have even gotten if she was working at the office (Two Monitors, laptop and own printer etc...no need to install server in the living room, in this day and age there is VPN tongue )

Anyhoo, this woman wakes up in the morning, gets her kiddies ready for school, sips her coffee while she's waiting by the front door for school bus to pick up her children and as soon as they are on the bus...she gets into her study and starts working until the children get back home where she meets them at the door.

Since they usually get home around three, she has about an hour or so more to work before she logs off. During that hour or however long it takes her to finish work...her children know to keep their regberegbe * to themselves. No running around, no screaming, no coming to report this one did this, that one did that...because MOMMY IS WORKING!!!

Around 5, she comes out of the study and they do their "Mommy, mommy, oh my kiddies, I miss you, how was school, muah, muah". The only fundamental difference between this woman and the woman who goes to an actual office is that the former does not have to take a shower before getting to work (When she has to do a teleconference, she wears a nice top over her PJ bottoms, brushes her hair and puts on lip gloss cheesy )

So once again, let us do away with this illusion that whatever is home based is somehow better.

* The Regberegbe is my own words oh, the woman loves her kids so she would never refer to their regberegbes as Regberegbe.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by EfemenaXY: 11:01pm On Jan 29, 2013
dayokanu:

Like I said earlier arguing senselessly just to read your own fonts.

Abeg oo how many careers does one take a 17yr break and just enter the labour market seamlessly at age 50yrs

Yeah i know Zenith bank would hire a 50yr old accountant who last worked in 1990.

Assuming the man doesn't kick the bucket / die from a massive heart attack before then.

Please o! I'd like to know what sort of career would wait till my eleven month old daughter reaches university age before I return back to work!

dayokanu:

In the world of realities couples combine their income and raise the standard of life of their family instead of going to okumagbo the wife pitches her bit and they send the kids to better schools Two can combine to achieve Corona instead of one person

Yup! Two heads are always better than one!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by damiso(f): 11:10pm On Jan 29, 2013
coogar:

efe's point is quite distinct from mine.....
her post suggests a woman must work regardless.....child care or not, a woman must contribute her quota and i am saying its not necessary for her to work when the kids are still quite young. any sane husband should understand why a woman wants to put in shifts at home to nurture the kids. efe's argument is such women are lazy and they are leeches. how is our point the same? efe is chasing the fish, i am after the fisherman!

You know i think some women(myself included) just want something other than the title MUMMY.Believe me,no other job in the world means more to me than MUMMY.But it does get monotonous.Yeah i agree when the kids are young i.e pre school it might be a bit much,pre-schoolers are hard work.When they go to full time school, 5+ it might be boring to just sit at home twiddling your thumbs from 9-3.I do ger your point on spending quality time with the kids though.Very important.My best memories of my parents is not that they paid my sch fees but stuff we did together as a family.My mum earned more than my dad in the real sense of it cos she had always been doing side business even while working in a govt parastatal but she made sure she was there for us when we needed her.
As i still say whatever works for each couple.In this argument there can never be a correct or better side.

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jan 29, 2013
dayokanu:

Like I said earlier arguing senselessly just to read your own fonts.

Abeg oo how many careers does one take a 17yr break and just enter the labour market seamlessly at age 50yrs

Yeah i know Zenith bank would hire a 50yr old accountant who last worked in 1990.

Yeah Coogar would hire someone to his company with a rusty, crusted up CV over someone who is fresh and uptodate in the field. He's an astute business man that one!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 11:15pm On Jan 29, 2013
Efemena_xy:
Actually, I do.
Now you advocate for "some" measure of employment for women with young kids. So, you've moved on from a complete no-no to a "perhaps".
You're shifting the goal posts here Coogar! angry

you might need to visit specsavers.......
my first comment on this post is still there, read it again and show me where i said a woman should not work once she starts making babies for the rest of her life.

Now, back to the point of women working from home...what about "quality" time with the kids?
How can these women possibly dedicate quality time with the kids whilst on a conference call? Or in the middle of an on-line presentation? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying working from home is wrong/bad. What I'm asking you, is this: How does this option tie in with the much needed quality time you advocate for, for the kids? How on earth is this any different from placing the child in part-time nursery whilst she focuses on work? And not worrying about what her over active toddler/ crawling baby might be getting up to? undecided

your employers already know you are at home with kids - why would they then designate you on a conference call with clients when they are well aware you have kids to look after? na wa for this type of reasoning - it's getting tedious. the work of a network engineer does not require important phone calls apart from conversing with the head office when one needs to troubleshoot - even with that, a bluetooth headpiece solves that issue. you can fry your plantain and still communicate with other network engineers.

Why do you always assume that the man's income is the lion's share?

in that case, the man is the leech!
ladies, beware of the types like dayokanu. he makes one-third of his wife's income and he wants the kids in corona, abu dhabi vacation, etc even though his own income cannot afford such luxuries. hahahahaha - this is so easy!

Do you not consider households where the woman's income far outweighs the man's? And I'm not referring to your typical manual / unskilled job for the man. No, I'm thinking more in terms of say, the man's a medical doctor while his wife is the CEO of a FTSE100 company!
So what happens in this scenario? After her maternity leave's up, then what? Knitting? Cooking? Baking??

even in this scenario, the man makes enough to feed the wife and kids.......they must have planned for making baby. i am assuming a couple as learned as this one would also be conversant with family planning. who makes children they are not prepared for? 9 months exist between conception and delivery. 9 months of planning and saving enough cash to cover for her inactive years. she should quit her CEO role asap! if its something she's not willing to give up, she should not get pregnant unless she can work from home!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 11:22pm On Jan 29, 2013
Sisi_Kill: I know a woman who works from home...they converted their downstairs bedroom into an office for her. She's got everything in there....more than she would have even gotten if she was working at the office (Two Monitors, laptop and own printer etc...no need to install server in the living room, in this day and age there is VPN tongue )

Anyhoo, this woman wakes up in the morning, gets her kiddies ready for school, sips her coffee while she's waiting by the front door for school bus to pick up her children and as soon as they are on the bus...she gets into her study and starts working until the children get back home where she meets them at the door.

Since they usually get home around three, she has about an hour or so more to work before she logs off. During that hour or however long it takes her to finish work...her children know to keep their regberegbe * to themselves. No running around, no screaming, no coming to report this one did this, that one did that...because MOMMY IS WORKING!!!

Around 5, she comes out of the study and they do their "Mommy, mommy, oh my kiddies, I miss you, how was school, muah, muah". The only fundamental difference between this woman and the woman who goes to an actual office is that the former does not have to take a shower before getting to work (When she has to do a teleconference, she wears a nice top over her PJ bottoms, brushes her hair and puts on lip gloss cheesy )

So once again, let us do away with this illusion that whatever is home based is somehow better.

* The Regberegbe is my own words oh, the woman loves her kids so she would never refer to their regberegbes as Regberegbe.

this sisikill can yarn nonsense -
so by your own estimation, this woman is not better off than you - working miles away from home....you that don't even know what your kids do when they get home, you don't know what their au pair do to them when they are home. even when she's working, if there's a loud scream, this woman would stay rooted to her computer and not bother cos she must work? how did you pass your qualitative analysis in primary school cos arguing against logic such as this one leaves me breathless! if working at home for this woman is the same as working away from home then why go through all the stress of converting an entire living room into an office?

#sighs#

ileobatojo:
Yeah Coogar would hire someone to his company with a rusty, crusted up CV over someone who is fresh and uptodate in the field. He's an astute business man that one!

in my industry, there are regular exams we take every 2 yrs to stay relevant in the labour market!

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by dayokanu(m): 11:25pm On Jan 29, 2013
coogar: your employers already know you are at home with kids - why would they then designate you on a conference call with clients when they are well aware you have kids to look after? na wa for this type of reasoning - it's getting tedious. the work of a network engineer does not require important phone calls apart from conversing with the head office when one needs to troubleshoot - even with that, a bluetooth headpiece solves that issue. you can fry your plantain and still communicate with other network engineers.

You see what I am talking about senseless argument just to see the size of ones fonts

I never knew there are employers who would pay you to look after your kids and not do their own jobs. In the real world most employers dont care if you have a dozen kids or are barren. They need report at 7am then its 7am. You need to be on a conf call then so be it, You need to troubleshoot over the phone so be it. No one cares whether you are the Mother of all nations running a creche.

in that case, the man is the leech!
ladies, beware of the types like dayokanu. he makes one-third of his wife's income and he wants the kids in corona, abu dhabi vacation, etc even though his own income cannot afford such luxuries. hahahahaha - this is so easy!

Nothing wrong with women earning more than men. I am sure the yahoo CEO probably earned more than her husband and Michelle Obama for a lot of her life earned more than her husband. If my daughter is a $3m a yr Neurosurgeon so Should she not marry anyone who doesnt earn that much? Okonjos husband probably earns less than her. Ko si big deal

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by damiso(f): 11:27pm On Jan 29, 2013
Sisi_Kill: I know a woman who works from home...they converted their downstairs bedroom into an office for her. She's got everything in there....more than she would have even gotten if she was working at the office (Two Monitors, laptop and own printer etc...no need to install server in the living room, in this day and age there is VPN tongue )

In the ideal world this is would be ONE of the best scenarios.Best of both worlds.Both for you and the kids(i hate commuting only that its the only time am on my own wink).Only thing is we DONT live in an ideal world.Not everyone has that luxury. undecided
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by EfemenaXY: 11:28pm On Jan 29, 2013
coogar:

efe's point is quite distinct from mine.....
her post suggests a woman must work regardless.....child care or not, a woman must contribute her quota and i am saying its not necessary for her to work when the kids are still quite young. any sane husband should understand why a woman wants to put in shifts at home to nurture the kids. efe's argument is such women are lazy and they are leeches. how is our point the same? efe is chasing the fish, i am after the fisherman!

Er...excuse me sir!

I never used the term "lazy". I refute that! angry

BUT, I did and still agree women whose sole purpose in life is to adopt a gimme...gimme...gimme.. attitude towards their husband, wanting him to do EVERYTHING even though she's no invalid and has her own brain....are leeches!

I actually detest such people. Arrant beggars with no self-worth!

fish ko! fisherman ni! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by dayokanu(m): 11:29pm On Jan 29, 2013
ileobatojo: Yeah Coogar would hire someone to his company with a rusty, crusted up CV over someone who is fresh and uptodate in the field. He's an astute business man that one!

In IT for example imagine the knowledge and technology someone who last worked in 1988 has and how its relevant in 2013

In Telecomms industry what relevance does someone who left the industry in 1989 have in todays world. When she left no Internet, no VOIP, no VPN, No cell phones she was probably using TELEX

I know mr coogar would tell us she can learn about those multi billion dollar technology from her kitchen sink while cooking and cleaning and singing lullabies

Even in the Medical field if you have been out of practice for a certain number of years you are required to retake the board licensing exams

Or a 55yr old accountant who worked for 3yrs after school stopped working in 1987 to raise kids and whose last kid turned 18 last December would now wear suit and show up for Interview

Yeah all companies would rush her with her age and 3 yrs relevant experience. Its possible, Its plausible sef. everything on the internet is possible

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by EfemenaXY: 11:32pm On Jan 29, 2013
dayokanu:

In IT for example imagine the knowledge and technology someone who last worked in 1988 has and how its relevant in 2013

In Telecomms industry what relevance does someone who left the industry in 1989 have in todays world. When she left no Internet, no VOIP, no VPN, No cell phones she was probably using TELEX

I know mr coogar would tell us she can learn about those multi billion dollar technology from her kitchen sink while cooking and cleaning and singing lullabies

Even in the Medical field if you have been out of practice for a certain number of years you are required to retake the board licensing exams

Or a 55yr old accountant who worked for 3yrs after school stopped working in 1987 to raise kids and whose last kid turned 18 last December would now wear suit and show up for Interview

Yeah all companies would rush her with her age and 3 yrs relevant experience. Its possible, Its plausible sef. everything on the internet is possible

grin grin grin
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by SisiKill1: 11:35pm On Jan 29, 2013
coogar:

this sisikill can yarn nonsense -
so by your own estimation, this woman is not better off than you - working miles away from home....you that don't even know what your kids do when they get home, you don't know what their au pair do to them when they are home. even when she's working, if there's a loud scream, this woman would stay rooted to her computer and not bother cos she must work? how did you pass your qualitative analysis in primary school cos arguing against logic such as this one leaves me breathless! if working at home for this woman is the same as working away from home then why go through all the stress of converting an entire living room into an office?

#sighs#

How many people can afford Au pair?

Isn't it usually the moms who pick their kids up from school or make sure they are home in time for when the kids get back home from school or have the kids in some after school program where they will be picked by mom at about the same time the WFH mom is finishing up?

So how's being physically present in the house and not knowing what the kids are doing different from not being there at all??!!

One minute, you say no work but staying at home because it is better, the next you say work from home because it is better. Dude you are just all over the place. . .I have a headache trying to follow your points jare and since I ain't no masochist I'll just let those who seem to have a firm handle on you. . .do it. grin

3 Likes

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 11:37pm On Jan 29, 2013
dayokanu:
You see what I am talking about senseless argument just to see the size of ones fonts

leave where you reside and join the civilised continent.....

I never knew there are employers who would pay you to look after your kids and not do their own jobs. In the real world most employers dont care if you have a dozen kids or are barren. They need report at 7am then its 7am. You need to be on a conf call then so be it, You need to troubleshoot over the phone so be it. No one cares whether you are the Mother of all nations running a creche.

whenever i say america is a 3rd world country - people challenge me. come and spend 2 yrs in the uk and see the respect employers dish out to mothers. mothers are the salt of the earth here - they make their lives comfortable. so i agree, what obtains in the animal kingdom called america might not be the same here. y"all are flaming capitalists so i understand your frustrations. if i were you, i would book overtime for myself and my wife. hell, rent a caravan and put it in the car park of your company!

Nothing wrong with women earning more than men. I am sure the yahoo CEO probably earned more than her husband and Michelle Obama for a lot of her life earned more than her husband. If my daughter is a $3m a yr Neurosurgeon so Should she not marry anyone who doesnt earn that much? Okonjos husband probably earns less than her. Ko si big deal

she should marry a shoemaker!!! grin

Sisi_Kill:
How many people can afford Au pair?
Isn't it usually the moms who pick their kids up from school or make sure they are home in time for when the kids get back home from school or have the kids in some after school program where they will be picked by mom at about the same time the WFH mom is finishing up?

which mums? the ones slaving away at work trying to contribute her quota or the one sent to zurich to attend a world bank conference would be picking up kids?

So how's being physically present in the house and not knowing what the kids are doing different from not being there at all??!!

how can you be in the house and not know what your kids are doing? jeeeez, stop embarrassing yourself. the mother's presence alone keeps children in check and reduces their bullshitness. you still don't know how to argue in 2013.....

One minute, you say no work but staying at home because it is better, the next you say work from home because it is better. Dude you are just all over the place. . .I have a headache trying to follow your points jare and since I ain't no masochist I'll just let those who seem to have a firm handle on you. . .do it. grin

you are trumpeting the same drivel dayo is repeating.....
show me one comment of mine that said a woman must not work at all when raising kids. the crux is staying at home. if she can work while at home to nurture the kids so be it. i neve said a woman cannot work - stop peddling nonsense in the name of sounding intelligent! i remember even saying there are various businesses a woman can do while at home. staying at home is my main priority. what she decides to do while home is entirely up to her!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by SisiKill1: 11:37pm On Jan 29, 2013
LMAO @ Telex. . .the last I heard someone use that, it was my grandma!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jan 29, 2013
dayokanu:

Lmao! Nothing is impossible on the 'interwebs'!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by SisiKill1: 11:46pm On Jan 29, 2013
ileobatojo:

Lmao! Nothing is impossible on the 'interwebs'!
Rotflmao @ interwebs....connected via servers installed in your living room. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by damiso(f): 11:46pm On Jan 29, 2013
coogar:

leave where you reside and join the civilised continent.....

whenever i say america is a 3rd world country - people challenge me. come and spend 2 yrs in the uk and see the respect employers dish out to mothers. mothers are the salt of the earth here - they make their lives comfortable. so i agree, what obtains in the animal kingdom called america might not be the same here. y"all are flaming capitalists so i understand your frustrations. if i were you, i would book overtime for myself and my wife. hell, rent a caravan and put it in the car park of your company!

she should marry a shoemaker!!! grin

Uhmm Uncle Coogar which kain UK?The one where David Cameron and his con-dem govt keep squezing the middle-class.Uncle i know you are rich but we are not o so its biting. My employer though flexible and accomodating still sometimes have issues arising by being a working mother.You want to try roles i have applied for and did not get cos i cant travel at the drop of a hat.

Yeah employment laws are somewhat family friendly in the UK but its still not easy. Maybe in the Nordic scandinivian countries.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 11:49pm On Jan 29, 2013
damiso:
Uhmm Uncle Coogar which kain UK?The one where David Cameron and his con-dem govt keep squezing the middle-class.Uncle i know you are rich but we are not o so its biting. My employer though flexible and accomodating still sometimes have issues arising by being a working mother.You want to try roles i have applied for and did not get cos i cant travel at the drop of a hat.

may heaven bless your employer - in dayokanu's country of residence, you would have been sacked!!! grin cheesy

Yeah family laws are friendly in the UK but its still not easy.

biko, how easy do you want it to be?

Yeah employment laws are somewhat family friendly in the UK but its still not easy. Maybe in the Nordic scandinivian countries

be thankful of what you have - majority of the states in america don't even offer paid maternity leave - something they have in common with lesotho, swaziland and papua new guinea!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by damiso(f): 12:04am On Jan 30, 2013
coogar:

may heaven bless your employer - in dayokanu's country of residence, you would have been sacked!!! grin cheesy

biko, how easy do you want it to be?

Okay let me paint one picture.My dept can like to do team night outs team bonding team outing and all those wahala.Due to my flexible working pattern,if i get to work 8 i leave 3,9 i leave at 4,10 i leave at 5.But hubby works in the City so he can afford to leave home later.I decide to then take the option of getting to work half 8 and leave at half 3 so i can pick my daughter as he drops her.These my daughter nur charge £10 for every min ur late so see me rushing round like an headless chicken in order to always get there on time(have to pick her by 5).These team night outs are always like 7/8 and unfortunately for me am the only mum on my team.So i end up missing most of them.They treat me differently not based on the fact that i dont get my work done.But i dont really socialise with them and sometimes those outings impact the work enviroment.

I get snide remarks like but you get to leave early,i had to tell one when i leave my house am sure ur still in bed.I was always on edge but i learnt to be confident in my work.and work ethic.You can go to blazes for all i care but am a mum as well deal with it.So its not easy seriously its hard and thats where i agree with you that its difficult to give (but not impossible) 100% at both.One might suffer.

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by SisiKill1: 12:05am On Jan 30, 2013
There are also companies who make accommodation for working moms by having on site day care centers where moms can spend their lunch breaks with the kiddies.

Some of them also allow some level of flexibility. ...you don't always have to work the 40hrs in 5 days or between 9 and 5....so once again the whole working from home allows for more quality time with the children holds no water.

Again I am not saying one is better than the other. ...just trying poke holes in the points being used to prop one over the other. Y'all can just call me hole poker. ...okay is it me or does that sound dirty?
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by EfemenaXY: 12:14am On Jan 30, 2013
damiso:

Okay let me paint one picture.My dept can like to do team night outs team bonding team outing and all those wahala.Due to my flexible working pattern,if i get to work 8 i leave 3,9 i leave at 4,10 i leave at 5.But hubby works in the City so he can afford to leave home later.I decide to then take the option of getting to work half 8 and leave at half 3 so i can pick my daughter as he drops her.These my daughter nur charge £10 for every min ur late so see me rushing round like an headless chicken in order to always get there on time(have to pick her by 5).These team night outs are always like 7/8 and unfortunately for me am the only mum on my team.So i end up missing most of them.They treat me differently not based on the fact that i dont get my work done.But i dont really socialise with them and sometimes those outings impact the work enviroment.

I get snide remarks like but you get to leave early,i had to tell one when i leave my house am sure ur still in bed.I was always on edge but i learnt to be confident in my work.and work ethic.You can go to blazes for all i care but am a mum as well deal with it.So its not easy seriously its hard and thats where i agree with you that its difficult to give (but not impossible) 100% at both.One might suffer.

So the nurseries still give that sh!!t drivel about paying £10 for every 1 minute you're late?? shocked undecided

That aside, my sister, your own even better. In my case they see nothing abnormal with starting at 8am and finishing by 6pm (earliest). Anything before 6pm is like... "Cor! You're taking the mickey aren't you? You're doing half-day or something?" lipsrsealed

And lemme not add the stress involved too. Omo come see colleagues taking months off work due to stress related issues / depression plus taking anti depressants. When they get back, they "ease" the nut cases gradually into work like say 3 days a week, to close 1 or 2 hours earlier...

Make I just siddon jejely dey enjoy my maternity leave for here jor cool
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 12:15am On Jan 30, 2013
damiso:

if your house is not on mortgage, i would advise you guys move not too far from your place of work. that's what i did when i was waking up too early to travel to the city from east london. i just decided enough is enough and i moved to fulham. there's this myth that houses in and around such areas are too expensive. i later found out it's a big lie. by the time you add convenience, comfort and oyster card charges to your rent or mortgage, it exceeds staying close to the city!

snide remarks are natural.....your team members would think you are being a snob! they can never understand your hustle! if you can move, take the option, move your daughter's school newer the same area too. my house to oxford circus is a 15 min bus ride, victoria is about 25 min ride. life is good! cool
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by damiso(f): 12:22am On Jan 30, 2013
Efemena_xy:

So the nurseries still give that sh!!t drivel about paying £10 for every 1 minute you're late?? shocked undecided

That aside, my sister, your own even better. In my case they see nothing abnormal with starting at 8am and finishing by 6pm (earliest). Anything before 6pm is like... "Cor! You're taking the mickey aren't you? You're doing half-day or something?" lipsrsealed

And lemme not add the stress involved too. Omo come see colleagues taking months off work due to stress related issues / depression plus taking anti depressants. When they get back, they "ease" the nut cases gradually into work like say 3 days a week, to close 1 or 2 hours earlier...

Make I just siddon jejely dey enjoy my maternity leave for here jor cool

Abi o enjoy am wella.But 6-8 shocked shocked shocked
Sis u be superwoman o i no fit.uhmm lai lai.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by damiso(f): 12:28am On Jan 30, 2013
coogar:

if your house is not on mortgage, i would advise you guys move not too far from your place of work. that's what i did when i was waking up too early to travel to the city from east london. i just decided enough is enough and i moved to fulham. there's this myth that houses in and around such areas are too expensive. i later found out it's a big lie. by the time you add convenience, comfort and oyster card charges to your rent or mortgage, it exceeds staying close to the city!

snide remarks are natural.....your team members would think you are being a snob! they can never understand your hustle! if you can move, take the option, move your daughter's school newer the same area too. my house to oxford circus is a 15 min bus ride, victoria is about 25 min ride. life is good! cool

They are even moving my department to Ipswich from.february and i sure aint moving to Ipswich. tongue.So am at the risk of redundancy.Fortunately or unfortunately as i was told by employment lawyers mat leave period is kinda protected so they are offering me a enhanced severance package.Still thinking bout it and still in consultation at the mo
Hubby advised me to take the money,put it in savings and we live on his wages till i get something else preferably on a part time basis.

I no know jare,make God help me cos am confused ojere.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 12:28am On Jan 30, 2013
Sisi_Kill: There are also companies who make accommodation for working moms by having on site day care centers where moms can spend their lunch breaks with the kiddies.

Some of them also allow some level of flexibility. ...you don't always have to work the 40hrs in 5 days or between 9 and 5....so once again the whole working from home allows for more quality time with the children holds no water.

Again I am not saying one is better than the other. ...just trying poke holes in the points being used to prop one over the other. Y'all can just call me hole poker. ...okay is it me or does that sound dirty?

of course - you love poking holes so hole poker it is.....

definitely, housewives pay more attention to their kids than career mothers who rely on somebody else for 8 hrs of her day to watch over the kids. how can you not see this? add that to the emotionally-detached-ambitious-career-obsessed-father who doesn't wish to be disturbed at all times and orders the kids be taken away, put to sleep and/or fed all the time. only a housewife can put with such a terrible caricature of a husband/father while a career-woman will probably do the same leaving children to their nannies and so forth. the stress levels of a working woman is generally higher than that of a housewife - and she is likelier to take her frustrations out on her children after getting pissed about her delayed promotion at work!

damiso:
They are even moving my department to Ipswich from.february and i sure aint moving to Ipswich. tongue.So am at the risk of redundancy.Fortunately or unfortunately as i was told by employment lawyers mat leave period is kinda protected so they are offering me a enhanced severance package.Still thinking bout it and still in consultation at the mo
Hubby advised me to take the money,put it in savings and we live on his wages till i get something else preferably on a part time basis.

I no know jare,make God help me cos am confused ojere.

ipswich is a wonderful place to live - give it a shot! grin
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by SisiKill1: 12:32am On Jan 30, 2013
coogar:

of course - you love poking holes so hole poker it is.....

definitely, housewives pay more attention to their kids than career mothers who rely on somebody else for 8 hrs of her day to watch over the kids. how can you not see this? add thay to the emotionally-detached-ambitious-career-obsessed-father who doesn't wish to be disturbed at all times and orders the kids be taken away, put to sleep and/or fed all the time. only a housewife can put with such a terrible caricature of a husband/father while a career-woman will probably do the same leaving children to their nannies and so forth. the stress levels of a working woman is generally higher than a housewife - and she is likelier to take the frustrations out on her children after getting pissed about her delayed promotion a work!
So we are back to the housewives not the wives working from home ko?

I'm sorry I'm just trying to keep track.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 12:37am On Jan 30, 2013
Sisi_Kill:
So we are back to the housewives not the wives working from home ko?
I'm sorry I'm just trying to keep track.

nope, i am countering your opinion that one is not better than the other i.e. stayathome mums are not better than working women in the context of quality time spent with the kids! did you not see what i quoted abi you just love arguing?

Sisi_Kill: There are also companies who make accommodation for working moms by having on site day care centers where moms can spend their lunch breaks with the kiddies.

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by damiso(f): 12:42am On Jan 30, 2013
Naaa cant uproot hubby and my daughter.And if we even look at your argument,hubby earns more than me grin so why should he follow me to where i might not even earn as much(London weighting will be lost).

Naaaa cheesy I want to be a stay at home mum. grin grin grin.Make i dey cook and clean and tutor the kids for a while.I deserve it after all the manic running round like a headless shikentongue.

Dont mind me,if we can get a suitable alternative role on reduced hrs(i have two kids now) in London il be fine.If not i take the money and go.I cant cope with the full time hrs.I will be a horrible person to live with.
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 12:53am On Jan 30, 2013
damiso: Naaa cant uproot hubby and my daughter.And if we even look at your argument,hubby earns more than me grin so why should he follow me to where i might not even earn as much(London weighting will be lost).

Naaaa cheesy I want to be a stay at home mum. grin grin grin.Make i dey cook and clean and tutor the kids for a while.I deserve it after all the manic running round like a headless shikentongue.

Dont mind me,if we can get a suitable alternative role on reduced hrs(i have two kids now) in London il be fine.If not i take the money and go.I cant cope with the full time hrs.I will be a horrible person to live with.

hubby earns more? you should have said that earlier.......
hahaha - time to relax yourself and be a stayathome mum. cheesy grin life is too short not to enjoy one's hubby. tongue
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by SisiKill1: 12:53am On Jan 30, 2013
coogar:

nope, i am countering your opinion that one is not better than the other i.e. stayathome mums are not better than working women in the context of quality time spent with the kids! did you not see what i quoted abi you just love arguing?

Duuuuuuude, I bow!

Coogar thy name is Maradona!!! cheesy

Wasn't it you who brought up women working from home as though it were a better option and my post. ..the one you quoted, in which you highlighted the main point clearly was in response to that... hence the "the WHOLE WORKING FROM HOME IS BETTER does hold water.

However if you wanna see that post as countering the Housewives make better mothers argument. ...Please tell us what quality and quantity time these moms are spending with the kids when they are in school?

It seems to me (and feel free to correct me) like it is the act of staying at home and not what they actually do while at home that you are more focused on.

1 Like

Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by coogar: 1:10am On Jan 30, 2013
Sisi_Kill:
Duuuuuuude, I bow!
Coogar thy name is Maradona!!! cheesy
Wasn't it you who brought up women working from home as though it were a better option and my post. ..the one you quoted, in which you highlighted the main point clearly was in response to that... hence the "the WHOLE WORKING FROM HOME IS BETTER does hold water.

awwwwww, no vex - my english confused you! your opinion that a stayathome mum is not better than a working mum is what i countered. that was why i quoted the particular sentence and i am saying a stayathome mum is definitely better than a career woman in the context of the amount of quality time they get to spend with their kids. on the basis of being there when the kids leave and being there when they get home alone, the stayathome mother wins!

However if you wanna see that post as countering the Housewives make better mothers argument. ...Please tell us what quality and quantity time these moms are spending with the kids when they are in school?

this point is moot!
you have to concentrate on what the career woman sees as her advantage over the stayathome mum and not a factor that affects both women. who are you kidding with this line of argument? the career woman does not see her kids when they are at school same as the stayathome mum. however, the stayathome mum welcomes the kids once they close from school, she fixes their food, she scans through their homework with them and she's even on hand to make sure the kids don't bring "foreign" objects from school as she's right there at the door when the kids get home!

It seems to me (and feel free to correct me) like it is the act of staying at home and not what they actually do while at home that you are more focused on.

nope, it's the amount of time she gets to spend watching over them and the quality time spent with them is the main focus. can you argue a stayathome woman who gets to spend 6 hrs quality time per day is not better off than the career mum who spends just 4 hrs quality time? that's 10 hrs difference per week excluding weekends. surely, one is better than the other!

i am spent already arguing with you - jeeez, you are polemic!!!
in one fell swoop, you have managed to ruin what promises to be a fantastic night with my missus into vanilla sex. i will not forgive you for this.

goodnight, world!
Re: Being A Nigerian Housewife by EfemenaXY: 2:01am On Jan 30, 2013
^^ Lol @ your last sentence! grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

I Impregnanted My Best Friend's Only Daughter / Names For Twin Girls / As A Husband, "Before You Ask Your Wife What Are You Bringing To The Table".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.