Stats: 3,160,074 members, 7,842,057 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos (16533 Views)

APC Shops For Saraki’s Replacement- The Sun Newspaper / Nine Days After Alhaji Gay’s Death: Police Patrol And Shops Closed / Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by prost80(m): 8:30am On Feb 12, 2013
Sam Milla: I agree that business owners should be paying tax. I do pay. But-

Asking spare parts dealers to pay 50k annualy is not a balanced action.
Some shops are worth 5 million naira while some are worth 100k or less.

If Fashola must go ahead, they need to evaluate shops, check employees, check incomes, and many more factors that will aid them in making rational decisions on how to deal with this people. Closing up shops is not the way, unless their plan is to chase more people away from Lagos...

Then how long will it take? 7 years?Let us stop all this,if they cant pay N50k/N100k a year which is N4k/N8k a month roughly then they should leave Lagos
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Ngwakwe: 8:38am On Feb 12, 2013
Regrettable opinion.

You think no Omo Eko sales Auto and Spares in Lagos as to warrant leaving Lagos his fatherland because of your inherent tribalized mindset

prost80:

Then how long will it take? 7 years?Let us stop all this,if they cant pay N50k/N100k a year which is N4k/N8k a month roughly then they should leave Lagos
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by baysol: 10:26am On Feb 12, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Let me make it clear now dat Fashola does not own Lagos, if he is claiming indigene then he should go to the bush his

parents conceived and raised him. Yes dat tiny corner, where his father lived, is the only place he can claim indigene.

Lagos State was a colonial creation and Federal resourced using Nigeria wealth.

Fashola should claim Indigene in is fathers house, no other place. Capish!

Why you go tell am this rubbish talk yourself in his alausa office. Yeye law disrespecters who want good things but does not want to contribute to the society they're deriving it from. Arrogant ingracious people, make una leave lagos for the owners na, na by force? Go do your business for Biafra na, no one hold una.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by kettykings: 10:27am On Feb 12, 2013
Is there any info as to how much Tailors ,Mechanics, Agbo sellers , Motor park touts/ Agberos, Omoniles, Estate agents , Bus drivers/Conductors,Taxi Drivers and Bus park Extortionist were asked to pay as Registration fee or does this Registration fee end with Motor spare parts and other traders.

Or is this a parasitic or Predatory Registration fee aimed at driving Spare parts dealers out of Business
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by monsurudee(m): 4:54pm On Feb 12, 2013
MR BABATUDE RAJI FASHOLA IS NOT A MAN OF WISDOM, HE IS FULL OF BOOKS HE READ AND NOT THE WISDOM TO RULE , HOW CAN A MAN LIKE HIM BE SO HEARTLESS AND UNREASONABLE ASWELL , PAYING OF TAX IS DIFFERENT FROM REGISTERATION OF BUSINESS ON AN ANNUAL BASIS FOR SUCH AMOUNT IN THIS HORRIBLE ECONOMY CRISIS . SECONDLY, WHY DID HE TOOK THE OFFENDERS TO COURT OF SPECIAL OFFENCES AND NOT THE NORMAL CRIMINAL COURT FOR THEY HAVE COMMITTED A CRIMINAL OFFENCE , FOR HE KNOWS SO WELL THAT HE HIS CHARGING THEM FOR COMMITING A CRIMINAL ACT AGAINST HIS CRIMINAL POLICY WHICH HE HAS ESTABLISHED AND HE IS RUNNING AWAY FROM THE FEAR OF PROSECUTION , AS A LAWYER HE SHOLUD BE AWARE THAT THIS MIGHT TURN AGAINST HIM IF HE IS PROSECUTED
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Uwakuwak(f): 8:28pm On Feb 12, 2013
achi4u: You are wellcome! "onye na anughi ayiyo madu ibe ya yoro ya,O nke ndi mmuo ka oga anu"_Mike Ejeagha.

We have alot of markets in the east,and we can make it envy of other nigerians.
Nwanne mmadu weree nwayor na edee asusuu igbo.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by DuduNegro: 11:11pm On Feb 12, 2013
Igbo is not the first immigrant to do business in Lagos but you might end being the first business owners to be forced out of Lagos. You are biting the hand that feeds you. A word is enough for the wise!
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by chukstel(m): 12:17am On Feb 13, 2013
Smooyis: Stop ur local and tribal mentality. Everyone is supposed to pay tax. As an employee with Lagos I pay nothing less than 100k per annum. I don't know why some igbos always read tribal meanings to everything. U should be law abiding whereva u are. There are yorubas selling automobiles as well. Though in d minorities. Our concern should be that d govt uses d money realised properly and not for us to b playing tribal cards. Apologies to d good and law abiding igbos pls

I agree you pay Only tax a year. Do you know how many different these traders pay? Trade permit, shop permit, income tax etc.

So when you talk about tax, you have to take a Critical look at IT that these traders are paying too much.

When we see policy that are not ok we should discuss about IT and think of the way forward and please should keep tribal out of IT.

For those asking people to leave lagos if not ok For them, i believe they have not For once reside and do business outside lagos state. Do travel to other states in this country and see how they pay tax.

Using states in USA as reference to annual registration-Do you find out if they also pay shop permit, trade permit etc. please let us be wise..
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Ngwakwe: 1:00am On Feb 13, 2013
A prophet does not have honour in his homeland.

If Igbos were of different nationality, Gov. Fashola will come begging for foreign investments from Igbos.

You don't know what you have until you loose it.

Dudu_Negro: Igbo is not the first immigrant to do business in Lagos but you might end being the first business owners to be forced out of Lagos. You are biting the hand that feeds you. A word is enough for the wise!

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by DuduNegro: 8:03am On Feb 13, 2013
Ngwakwe: A prophet does not have honour in his homeland.

If Igbos were of different nationality, Gov. Fashola will come begging for foreign investments from Igbos.

Ngwakwe, success in trading depends on the proficiency of the trader to understand and apply differentiation in marketing and pricing. Igbo has not attained the level of proficiency already surpassed by many other West African traders in Lagos. When you do, yes you will be a desirable and life long business partner for Lagos.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:21am On Feb 13, 2013
Self delusion is the greatest form of comedy. grin
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Hardfact: 5:25pm On Feb 13, 2013
cap28:

Were those people in the slums of Makoko from the east? How come Fashola could not rehouse them, many of them had been living in that area for generations.

Why are you so keen to focus on my state of origin - i am not a tribalist like you as i see myself as a nigerian citizen free to live anywhere in nigeria that i choose, do you see americans from different states being told to go back to their states of origin if they cant find jobs in one state?

All businesses started out on a small scale and built up - in civilised societies small businesses are incentivised and benefit from govt loans and subsidies, in nigeria they are run out of town. Would you prefer a foreign multinational to come to nigeria use lagosians as cheap sweat shop workers and remit all their profits back to europe and america - is that your idea of progress?
Quite captivating an opinion. Many wd stop at nothing to extol draconian measures taken by Gov Fash against the people, provided they themselves are not affected negatively. They'd rather sit by and pump more gas to the fire.

Whatever moves/policies govt makes, whatsoever which fails to adequately take into account and fully appreciate and come to terms with the bleak realities which the common everyday Nigerian/Lagosian is consistently forced to contend with, and denies the downtrodden the chance of survival, is nothing but outright wickedness! Curiously, Amid the bogus claim that Lagos alone, can survive without oil all the govt can do is to extort life out of citizens. I dare the Lagos State govt and even their agents and staunch here on NL to go the full length, if they've the gut, to feed the people in great detail how much they make and what they are doing with all the monies they make.
Sorry to say, I pity Mr Fashola and his Vice Presidential candidacy if he just cant learn to thread rather more softly . . . .

Never a time were the people made for the govt. Instead the govt was made for the people.

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Hardfact: 5:28pm On Feb 13, 2013
prost80:

Such a wicked opinion. Yesterday "Ghana must go", today Nigerians are trooping to Ghana for refuge.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by GhostFaceKiller: 5:29pm On Feb 13, 2013
MOB government.

What is the annual rate for those women that sell expensive cloth materials on the island? my guess is zilch!

Continue with your ethnic agenda, after all the government is a regional and tribal led one.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Wadeoye(m): 5:30pm On Feb 13, 2013
Ngwakwe: A prophet does not have honour in his homeland.

And who is the prophet here? Igbos?

Lol...

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by GhostFaceKiller: 5:31pm On Feb 13, 2013
prost80:

how much does your ashawo owembe mama pay as tax to the lagos state government.

If they leave Lagos then get ready to start travelling to the east for your car parts.

tit for tat.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by GhostFaceKiller: 5:32pm On Feb 13, 2013
Every single day I see no single reason to ever set foot on that slum city. They should start calling it Chaos and not Lagos.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by EkoIle1: 5:41pm On Feb 13, 2013
GhostFaceKiller:
how much does your ashawo owembe mama pay as tax to the lagos state government.

If they leave Lagos then get ready to start travelling to the east for your car parts.

tit for tat.

lol @ lagosians traveling to some backward kidnapping village for fake spareparts.... I laugh so hard in Akpu.... Ibo people and their warped deousions.

lol...

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Nobody: 5:47pm On Feb 13, 2013
Does anyone know if an annual registration fee is charged in Abuja (FCT) where Auto/Spare parts dealers are also required to have licenses?
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by ikeyman00(m): 8:08pm On Feb 13, 2013
@@@

some people can argue for ever

but one thing certain

there will never be any justification for this! FACT

u dnt bloody kill Business ; u bloody grow businesses

going by ur VOdoo ecomonics Gov Fashola speeches recently in the pages i think he is beginning to rattle

desperate measures bring s-tupidity

and surely this is one of it! shocked
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by pluto04(m): 10:27pm On Feb 13, 2013
A spare part dealer that cannot afford a 50K annual registration fee is in the wrong trade and should quit. Likewise an auto dealer that cannot afford 100K. These people (and many self employed people) don't pay enough income tax (that is dependent on self declared income) and many don't pay at all.

The fact that only 43 traders are affected out of several thousand is indicative that these people a very tiny minority. Nobody will miss them if they quit trading. Those supporting them are either intentionally being malicious or they are simply ignorant.

And those saying that this is targeted at Igbo are deluded. These trades are not exclusive preserve of the igbos. Other tribes including many Yorubas are also in the trade.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by aljharem(m): 10:40pm On Feb 13, 2013
I laugh when I see people shouting here, I mean don't you all want to pay your tax ? I don't understand undecided

How does paying tax = Igbo victimization

No one has answered me yet !
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by akintun: 12:39am On Feb 14, 2013
I
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by akintun: 12:40am On Feb 14, 2013
It is wrong 4 foreign based Nigerians to comment on wat dey know nothing about. I have seen Fashola driving Yoruba traders from places like mushin and oshodi, and at d same time doing nothing to Igbo traders at nearby Ladipo despite d fact dat both d Igbo and Yoruba traders cause big problems 4 d gov in terms of developing d state infrastructure. I have d feeling dat Fashola is scared of been labelled a tribalist, and dat is why most Igbo business areas are spared of d displacement been melted out to Yoruba traders. Fashola would soon drive away d Yoruba traders at Ikorodu, and I'm sure nobody would call him tribalist, but wen he eventually does d same at Alaba, he would be labelled a tribalist by Igbo's.

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by aljharem(m): 12:44am On Feb 14, 2013
akintun: It is wrong 4 foreign based Nigerians to comment on wat dey know nothing about. I have seen Fashola driving Yoruba traders from places like mushin and oshodi, and at d same time doing nothing to Igbo traders at nearby Ladipo despite d fact dat both d Igbo and Yoruba traders cause big problems 4 d gov in terms of developing d state infrastructure. I [b]have d feeling dat Fashola is scared of been labelled a tribalist, and dat is why most Igbo business areas are spared of d displacement been melted out to Yoruba traders. Fashola would soon drive away d Yoruba traders at Ikorodu, and I'm sure nobody would call him tribalist, but wen he eventually does d same at Alaba, he would be labelled a tribalist by [/b]Igbo's.

That is why APC OR ACN has to lose Lagos, They are stu.pidlly allowing these tribalistic bigots to destroy Lagos A state of which Fashola himself cannot claim origin to. angry angry angry angry

Throw sentiment out of the window and make precise decisions without any worries of what you would be labelled as is what makes one a leader. Imagine Non-indigenes from the east for that matter (IGBO) trying to blackmail the governor that is thinking for all Lagosians regardless of their origin.

How I wish an Egun or Ijebu man can be the governor rather than all these Kwara, Osun and ekiti people
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by manny4life(m): 12:46am On Feb 14, 2013
I have ALWAYS said it,

Ndi Igbo, rather than pay N100,000 to Lagos govt, plus hundreds of thousands in taxes, plus the hassles and wahala involved in Lagos, GO BACK TO YOUR SLUM VILLAGES and go fix it... When you fix your village and you trade how u choose, it's to the benefit of your own good

Ndi a achogho oginiru ndi igbo, naa nu, mmadu aha di ka onu akolu ya... onye nwelu nti, nya nulu,
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by aljharem(m): 12:49am On Feb 14, 2013
How I just wish, Igbos would all leave the Western Nigeria one day alone with their tribalistic wahala. angry angry angry

NO ONE HAS STILL ANSWERED MY QUESTION BUNCH OF TRIBALISTIC BEAST angry angry

alj harem: I laugh when I see people shouting here, I mean don't you all want to pay your tax ? I don't understand undecided

[size=18pt]How does paying tax = Igbo victimization [/size]

No one has answered me yet !
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by manny4life(m): 12:56am On Feb 14, 2013
alj harem: How I just wish, Igbos would all leave the Western Nigeria one day alone with their tribalistic wahala. angry angry angry

NO ONE HAS STILL ANSWERED MY QUESTION BUNCH OF TRIBALISTIC BEAST angry angry

How I wish it as well, I PRAY GOD he grants my wish that Lagos will have a much more aggressive governor who will continue on Fashola's part and in fact, make policies that will expel Igbo traders from Lagos. I want my Igbo people to go home and trade, there's Onitsha (the largest market) for them to trade, I honestly don't see why they (or anyone) should be paying so much enormous amount that has no added value to them. If they paid it to SE govt, at least, it will add value to the SE.

Look, refrain from calling people beast, because when you coexist with one, that makes u a beast as well... Have that at the back of your mind.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by akintun: 1:13am On Feb 14, 2013
Fashola is actually a Lagosian from his mother side. Recently, I was forced by d court to pay a 50,000 naira environmental Levi to d local gov, despite paying d same Levi to d state gov. I pay all form of Levi, and I don't and can't refer to Fashola as a tribalist becos am from d same tribe. I have stayed abroad b4 and I know 4 sure dat d effective tax rate i pay in Lagos state is still far lower than wat I was paying in d UK.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by aljharem(m): 1:14am On Feb 14, 2013
manny4life:

How I wish it as well, I PRAY GOD he grants my wish that Lagos will have a much more aggressive governor who will continue on Fashola's part and in fact, make policies that will expel Igbo traders from Lagos. I want my Igbo people to go home and trade, there's Onitsha (the largest market) for them to trade, I honestly don't see why they (or anyone) should be paying so much enormous amount that has no added value to them. If they paid it to SE govt, at least, it will add value to the SE.

Look, refrain from calling people beast, because when you coexist with one, that makes u a beast as well... Have that at the back of your mind.

No I do not coexist with beasts angry angry angry

@ OP

It annoys the hell out of me when I see people trying to label an innocent policy or person tribalistic angry It is crazy

I remember one iddeiot doing that to Keshi and taught to myself if he was normal

COSA Ikeijiri whom I like, some elements too were calling him tribalitic which I debunked immediately

All of which likes of bliss4lyf and co agreed to

Now Lagos not Fashola have a tax system which has since been enforced. Some elements did not pay their task, rather than discuss about it THEY started labelling him a tribalist even though he has done the same to my family members before.

Now I ask, DO THESE SO CALLED "IGBO" TRADERS (according to nairaland igbos) have more RIGHTS THAN INDIGENES OF LAGOS THAT THEY ARE EXEMPTED FROM TAX ?

Why are they always quick to label anyone anti-igbo or a tribalist when it is clear as day he does it for everyone.

It is quiet annoying. Why are other groups like the Hausas, Ijaws etc not complaining ?

On a real, any neutral would know why this is very annoying.

I mean you all agreed that Lagos is a no mans land. If so, why would a governor target a particular group alone when they are even minorities in the state.

In Lagos state we have more Yoruba and Hausas than anyother group doing businesses. We have a huge size of Ibibios and Ijaws as well as the Nupes/Igalas. Edos and itsekiris come to mind as well so why only igbos angry angry I mean it sounds annoying
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by aljharem(m): 1:15am On Feb 14, 2013
akintun: Fashola is actually a Lagosian from his mother side. Recently, I was forced by d court to pay a 50,000 naira environmental Levi to d local gov, despite paying d same Levi to d state gov. I pay all form of Levi, and I don't and can't refer to Fashola as a tribalist becos am from d same tribe. I have stayed abroad b4 and I know 4 sure dat d effective tax rate i pay in Lagos state is still far lower than wat I was paying in d UK.

But in Nigeria we use the father to determine the origin of a person thus Fashola is Ekiti by origin but not that it matters
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by manny4life(m): 2:10am On Feb 14, 2013
alj harem:

No I do not coexist with beasts angry angry angry

Apparently, you may end up being the beast whom you accuse others of, whether u like it or not, accept it or not, you coexist with other Nigerians regardless of their ideologies and tribalism behaviors. At one point in time, today, this week, or month, or quarter or even this year, you've either solicited or patronized or have been patronized by an Igbo person (whether it's purchase of food, water, gas, transportation, trade, services - banking, medical, information, and what have you. Again, you may choose to accept the truth, or live in denial of the status quo.

Now, how u choose to tell yourself the truth is definitely up to you. Read the topic headline, read the story, piece 2+2 together, and you'll see the answer to the question you asked

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Minimum Wage: FG, Labour Meeting End In Deadlock Again / Former Head Of State General Yakubu Gowon Dies At 89 / Enugu Pro-Oduah Protesters Got N4,000 Each - Investigation

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71