Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,093 members, 7,852,697 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 12:59 AM

43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos (16538 Views)

APC Shops For Saraki’s Replacement- The Sun Newspaper / Nine Days After Alhaji Gay’s Death: Police Patrol And Shops Closed / Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:02pm On Feb 11, 2013
Oya start to dey carry my post for head, make i go work. Ndi-ara!

Bliss4Lyfe: Let me make it clear now dat Fashola does not own Lagos, if he is claiming indigene then he should go to the bush his

parents conceived and raised him. Yes dat tiny corner, where his father lived, is the only place he can claim indigene.

Lagos State was a colonial creation and Federal resourced using Nigeria wealth.

Fashola should claim Indigene in is fathers house, no other place. Capish!
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Nobody: 4:03pm On Feb 11, 2013
[size=28pt]Shebi they have a union
Let them pay Lagos it's tithes immediately
Increase the price of their goods across the board and pass on the cost to Lagosians
That is the only way to stay in business with the exorbitant fees
[/size]

This is no big deal naw
Speaking as a daughter from a long line of businessmen and women

2 Likes

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Igwe9(m): 4:07pm On Feb 11, 2013
Omexonomy: accept my apology my phone is playing certain tricks.
Yeah,appology accepted. it does happen to me also. Always review the post before pressing submit.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 11, 2013
obicentlis: How do you expect someone with 500k goods in his shop to pay u 50k? That's too harsh. Fashola got it wrong here.
No amount of intimidation can make Igbos poor, instead it will ginger them at the envy of other tribes.
Loose Igbos in Lagos and forget Lagos.

[size=28pt]The only option is to increase the price of their goods
Nobody stays in business to lose
To keep head above board,you must make a profit and the only way here is to increase the cost
Pass on the extra cost to Ndi Lagos

Motorists will also increase their fares since the cost of repairs will go up
Food vendors and market women feel the impact and the price of garri goes up
[/size]

2 Likes

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by COOLDUN: 4:08pm On Feb 11, 2013
Igwe.:

From me to you. silly!

BACK TO SENDER, I never meant no harm in my comment,but an advice to our people, it is high time we start developing our areas, call me any name you might chose but the truth remains that you can never please someone who don't love you.I know very well that the majority of the traders at the mentioned are mostly the Igbos that was why i wrote my comment.

I advice our people to move nearer home, we have good and undeveloped areas for business. Any where you , but with good products customers will surely locate you there.Lagos is not the only place for business.That was what imeant. But if you felt offended and sent RPG to your entire family and generation, it is very good for you all.

1 Like

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by kettykings: 4:11pm On Feb 11, 2013
I saw this coming a long time ago, but most people did not , this is only a tip of the Ice berg .

This Economic war started when some people deported some wanderers to Onitsha from Lagos , the funny thing is that most igbos don't see beyond their big nose talk less of being intelligent to foresee this kind and evil and take appropriate precaution .

A business man once boasted that before igbo business would be sacked from Lagos that the Lagos indigenous people would bear the brunt.

One way these happenings can be voided is that the Spare parts traders would have

1. to transfer the accumulated cost to Lagos Indigenous people
2. secondly they can consolidate their business to reduce over all tax that they will pay to government for instance 10 shops can consolidate and become 1 shop with different directors and pay tax of 1 shop .
3. Third and the most important is to think East Business men in Lagos should have an exit plan or have a plan B in the East should the madness get out of hand'

The pressure would be made to bear on the Federal Government to activate the inland maritime transportation to speed up the utilization of River Niger using big Barges that can carry lots on containers , The calabar River port dredging and Ibaka Port has to be completed as scheduled to facilitate the berthing of very large super Vessel that will bring down overall cost of importing goods.

Finally Igbos Business men would have to replicate the Businesses that brings Lagos goods to the East like the Nestle foods , the flour Mills and insurance Companies Domiciled in the East

4 Likes

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Dede1(m): 4:18pm On Feb 11, 2013
It is foolhardy to expect upstream business entities to pay taxes when the downstream business entities that support the former are destroyed. Any group of people who believed in the acts of banning as solutions to social problem does not progress. You can not eat your cake and have it. I have questioned the validity of SAN to Fashola’s name.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by chinnyonwu(m): 4:18pm On Feb 11, 2013
Fashola just wan send poor people/businesses outta Lagos.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by kaeto(m): 4:18pm On Feb 11, 2013
Are there yorubers in the spare parts biz, if yes were they equally yorked with the tax? Igbos must rally and come home, oppression, extortion and injustice has become the order of the day against we Igbos. Though I have to be frank here, that our leaders in the east are so blind and selfish and might do even worse than we get from yoruber leaders. APC is already at work and tinubu could be knitting a bigger purse. Eko oni baje *in bluetooth's voice*
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Igwe9(m): 4:22pm On Feb 11, 2013
COOLDUN:

BACK TO SENDER, I never meant no harm in my comment,but an advice to our people, it is high time we start developing our areas, call me any name you might chose but the truth remains that you can never please someone who don't love you.I know very well that the majority of the traders at the mentioned are mostly the Igbos that was why i wrote my comment.

I advice our people to move nearer home, we have good and undeveloped areas for business. Any where you , but with good products customers will surely locate you there.Lagos is not the only place for business.That was what imeant.
But if you felt offended and sent RPG to your entire family and generation, it is very good for you all.
Hmm, RPG not only to me but entire family. you bad ooh. that is wickedness in the highest order. well the highlighted is okay by me and for other parts of your post because of stun gun animated picture. hmm, that was really uncalled for.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by debosky(m): 4:22pm On Feb 11, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Let me make it clear now dat Fashola does not own Lagos, if he is claiming indigene then he should go to the bush his

parents conceived and raised him. Yes dat tiny corner, where his father lived, is the only place he can claim indigene.

What rubbish are you making clear? Is Fashola enforcing the law because he is an 'indigene' or because he is the elected Governor of Lagos State? I don't know why tribal sentiment is affecting the reasoning capacity of some people here.

If you can't comply by the law required to run your business, then shut your shop. If you think the levy is too high, go and seek legal activists and challenge it in court. What you don't do is act as a law unto yourself and re-open a shop legally sealed for non-payment of a levy.

I am sure there are hundreds of spare-part stores in those areas listed - why are only 43 of them refusing to comply with the law? Have others who duly paid not valid traders?

8 Likes

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Ejine(m): 4:27pm On Feb 11, 2013
This thread shall reach 8 pages of pointless banter that will eventually veer off and end up having nothing to do with the original post grin
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by COOLDUN: 4:31pm On Feb 11, 2013
Igwe.:

Hmm, RPG not only to me but entire family. you bad ooh. that is wickedness in the highest order. well the highlighted is okay by me and for other parts of your post because of stun gun animated picture. hmm, that was really uncalled for.

Sorry my dear, i didn't see it well before commenting i am very sorry i thought you meant much harm to me, i didn't know it was just an animated stun gun. I repeat again I AM VERY SORRY, I cancel my wishes, how could i wish my fellow Igbo brother's family such a bad thing. Please do forgive me. Have a nice day.

My observation is that our people are no longer welcomed at Lagos. Whether the city was created by the Colonial masters or not, it has an original tribe owners, no one drags the thing that does not belong to him/her. The earlier we the Igbos put these things in our mind the better for us.We have some many fertile lands for business prosperity.There are many ways to send out the unwanted guest.This is one of them. I am Sorry once again.Pardon me.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by achi4u(m): 4:33pm On Feb 11, 2013
If that will make my people to look back home.....

Fash is building a storm.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by debosky(m): 4:33pm On Feb 11, 2013
If it is proven that those traders indeed attacked lawful agents of the government, they should have the book thrown at them with the full force of the law.

There is too much mob mentality on display in Lagos - if you don't agree with a law, you challenge it through the valid channels. You do not resort to beating up officials who are only doing their job.

Instead of dealing with the issue at hand, some delusional folk are talking about people having 'virtually bought up' Lagos. If they have indeed virtually bought up Lagos, how come they can't pay 'chicken change' 100k levy?

3 Likes

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by ikeyman00(m): 4:36pm On Feb 11, 2013
@@@@

no amount of grammar will change anything here

50k for wetin

wat are we talking?

damn nawoo

watchin!

for some man up there let me remind u that people get serious attack from touts;alaye and agberos day by day under the watchful eyes of ur nl registered super hero Fashola
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Ejine(m): 4:37pm On Feb 11, 2013
babyosisi: [size=28pt]Shebi they have a union
Let them pay Lagos it's tithes immediately
Increase the price of their goods across the board and pass on the cost to Lagosians
That is the only way to stay in business with the exorbitant fees
[/size]

This is no big deal naw
Speaking as a daughter from a long line of businessmen and women

You can't do that when the purchasing power is weak.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 11, 2013
Why can't you lot use your damn brain cells and think beyond tribal sentiments which have continued to tear the country apart for once in your miserable lives, for crying out loud

I'm damn sure there are thousands of traders in those places, and the people that were reprimanded are just 43 who failed to abide by the law among thousands of people... Yet you dumb phucks have turned it into another tribal nonsense smfdh...

If you can't pay the levy, use your brain cells to beat the damn system - that's what Asians do in the UK... 4-5 small shops can come together to form a single shop and pay the same levy - that's just common sense!!

It's 2013 - enough of the tribal bs!! undecided
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by ikeyman00(m): 4:40pm On Feb 11, 2013
Why can't you lot use your damn brain cells and think beyond tribal sentiments which have continued to tear the country apart for once in your miserable lives, for crying out loud

I'm damn sure there are thousands of traders in those places, and the people that were reprimanded are just 43 who failed to abide by the law among thousands of people... Yet you dumb phucks have turned it into another tribal nonsense smfdh...

If you can't pay the levy, use your brain cells to beat the damn system - that's what Asians do in the UK... 4-5 small shops can come together to form a single shop and pay the same levy - that's just common sense!!

It's 2013 - enough of the tribal bs!

and u think this s-hit make sense eh

oyibo countries u live in will never be this stupid
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Omexonomy: 4:40pm On Feb 11, 2013
babyosisi:

[size=28pt]The only option is to increase the price of their goods
Nobody stays in business to lose
To keep head above board,you must make a profit and the only way here is to increase the cost
Pass on the extra cost to Ndi Lagos

Motorists will also increase their fares since the cost of repairs will go up
Food vendors and market women feel the impact and the price of garri goes up
[/size]
sweree have you forgoten the laws of demand and supply. Rise in price fall in demamd and supply.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Nobody: 4:41pm On Feb 11, 2013
this has multiple goals

a registered list of spare parts sellers will allow for far more transparency and order
it will prevent the chaos of spare parts being an all comers' affair - the glut of fake and rubbish spare parts is due to the fact that just about any tom dick and harry can wake up and decide to get into the business

more to the point, 50k is a big sum ? seriously? for a business that can bring in millions yearly?

i remember two years ago when a trailer hit me in a go slow and scattered my rear light. eventually, i went all the way to the home of the owner, who resided in a slum in ebute metta. upon entering his house and seeing his family, i gave up demanding for the full money for my light at tok the 15k he was begging me to take.

i am highlighting this for a simple reason - it was clear the man had no business owning a trailer. the trailer in question was a death trap. the man did not have the resources to run a proper haulage business.

it is the story of all sorts of businesses in nigeria - they are all comers businesses which leads to proliferation of fake spare parts, unsafe storage of hazardous materials , lowering of standards across board.

of course, we should not be surprised at the world's biggest whiners screaming conspiracy against us

1 Like

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by huptin(m): 4:42pm On Feb 11, 2013
Hello my igbo brothers, fashola does not target any paricular group of people by his actions, the guy is seriously in need of money, the lagos state government is desperately in need of money for obvious reasons, and like a drowning man, who holds on to any straw, they are aggressive in their revenue mobilisation. Fashola and Tinubu are one and the same, brutal thieves that have devised an ingenius means of deceiving the people with illusions of performance, while carting away their resources. It is my belief that this house of sand will eventually collapse on
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Nobody: 4:43pm On Feb 11, 2013
ikeyman00:
and u think this s-hit make sense eh

oyibo countries u live in will never be this stupid

How do you think Asians beat the tax thing in the UK??

Get a life!!
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by achi4u(m): 4:46pm On Feb 11, 2013
COOLDUN:

Sorry my dear, i didn't see it well before commenting i am very sorry i thought you meant much harm to me, i didn't know it was just an animated stun gun. I repeat again I AM VERY SORRY, I cancel my wishes, how could i wish my fellow Igbo brother's family such a bad thing. Please do forgive me. Have a nice day.

My observation is that our people are no longer welcomed at Lagos. Whether the city was created by the Colonial masters or not, it has an original tribe owners, no one drags the thing that does not belong to him/her. The earlier we the Igbos put these things in our mind the better for us.We have some many fertile lands for business prosperity.There are many ways to send out the unwanted guest.This is one of them. I am Sorry once again.Pardon me.
You are wellcome! "onye na anughi ayiyo madu ibe ya yoro ya,O nke ndi mmuo ka oga anu"_Mike Ejeagha.

We have alot of markets in the east,and we can make it envy of other nigerians.

1 Like

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by SisiKill1: 4:55pm On Feb 11, 2013
I know for sure there are more than 43 Spare Part Shops in that area. . .so does this mean the other hundreds not closed down belong to non-Igbos?!!
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by aribisala0(m): 4:59pm On Feb 11, 2013
Spare parts business is serious business and should not be for everyone.
There are many industries where government should intervene just like they did in banking to stipulate a minimum equity level.
The products when defective can lead to loss of life and are often fake. The public needs to be protected from charlattans

Where do spare parts dealers get parts from?
Scrap vehicles from Europe are broken and loaded on trucks or containers.
Fake parts from places like Taiwan and India which are made to order by Nigerians.
Since when did India start making parts for BMW

These are sold to unsuspecting members of the public without recourse to Consumer Right Protection. How can an individual trading with 500000 offer any warranties or customer protection. Such a player is too small and should be selling rice or garri not spare parts.
The problem with many so called traders is they treat every thing as buying and seling. Some product carry a much greater social responsibility when lives are involved and cannot be for Everyone.
Government have asked them to pay tax and they are screaming what if government asks them to keep records of ALL sales and purchases for 10 years what will they do. ?

2 Likes

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by EkoIle1: 5:02pm On Feb 11, 2013
lol @ the usual ibo people talking about 50k is too harsh, what is harsh is you kidnapping, selling and killing your own people for money. Funny people.

You can’t continue to live like you are in your village here in Lagos. Life in Lagos is changing by the day. The government has spent fortune to ensure good environment, drainages, roads and transportation system. It is unfortunate some people are still living as if they are in their village.

Stay back in your village,” the governor warned.'
:: Fashola

Eko o ni baje o

Sai Fashola....

WORD.....

2 Likes

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by tomiedatlo: 5:03pm On Feb 11, 2013
[quote author=Bliss4Lyfe]Let me make it clear now dat Fashola does not own Lagos, if he is claiming indigene then he should go to the bush his

[quote]
R u a learner? For yorubaland grin
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by petrov10: 5:05pm On Feb 11, 2013
COOLDUN: This is clear call for them to start relocating to their respective areas, when a place is no longer favorable to you, then you have to make a move, this is too long overdue. Many banned buisness like Okada riding will bring down the sales which will also affect the compliance of the tax payments. But the state authority made that law that will effect changes in their state which no one has any right to question. Let the affected people relocate to another favorable places and stop disobeying the laws of a state.

As an Igboman i support people going nearer home and help in the development of the places instead of being where you will be seen law breakers. Every body will not be at Lagos.
shut up ...u nitwit
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by ikeyman00(m): 5:06pm On Feb 11, 2013
@@@

the same man that was bragging wks ago Lagos can survive on its own shocked

that people who are against borrowing know nothing but em voodoo economics right

but me smell some fish oo; na desperate measures u are witnessing right now

hmm still watching!

50 k? right in Nigeria right?

hmm
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by petrov10: 5:08pm On Feb 11, 2013
9icest: BRF is the man to rule this country. The dude is TOOOOOOO SERIOUS grin grin grin grin
His government is a no-bullshyt one....its just a shame Nigerians are used to rubbish...and we think paying taxes is madness.....What a people.

Get inspired, visit
www.inspired.com.ng
for your daily inspirational dose!

y do u make senseless coments , 50,000 a year is it dat 2 much , how much do they make .. Mtchew

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Governor Ugwanyi Hosts PDP G-5 Governors Ahead Of Enugu PDP Campaign Flag-Off / Holiday Enjoyment: Niger Delta Women Issue Akpabio One-month Ultimatum To Resign / Chime Shakes-Off Death Rumour, Condoles With Yakowa, Azazi’s Families

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.