Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,107 members, 7,842,206 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos (16534 Views)

APC Shops For Saraki’s Replacement- The Sun Newspaper / Nine Days After Alhaji Gay’s Death: Police Patrol And Shops Closed / Presidency Shops For Jega’s Replacement - Vanguard News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by debosky(m): 11:36pm On Feb 11, 2013
cap28:

have you ever heard of the phrase - no taxation without representation?

Fashola is the democratically elected representative of Lagos state - he has the mandate to collect taxes and levies on behalf of the residents of Lagos State.

do lagos tax payers benefit from the punitive taxes imposed on them by fashola and his cronies? if so, kindly enlighten me on what he is currently doing with the revenue because the last time i checked lagos was still one big giant slum

He is doing a lot of things - or do you think initiatives like this https://www.nairaland.com/1192711/lagos-build-inner-city-roads are paid for by hot air?

Besides, if taxpayers feel they are not benefiting, then they should challenge the validity of the levy/taxes through legal channels not by beating up employees of the government carrying out their legal duties.

also export processing zones only benefit giant multinational corporations who can import goods from their countries of operation use the cheap labour in the free trade zone to manufacture and configure them and then re export them without being burdened by tarrifs (which will not apply since the goods are not sold in the country where the free zone is located

These corporations also enjoy massive tax breaks and are able to monopolise domestic markets causing the collapse of local businessess - in other words a free trade zone will enrich the walmarts of this world and send many nigerian businesses into bankruptcy - sounds good doesnt it?

Irrelevant examples - is Walmart coming to compete with Mile 2 spare part dealers? cheesy
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by aribisala0(m): 11:42pm On Feb 11, 2013
cap28:

Were those people in the slums of Makoko from the east? How come Fashola could not rehouse them, many of them had been living in that area for generations.

Why are you so keen to focus on my state of origin - i am not a tribalist like you as i see myself as a nigerian citizen free to live anywhere in nigeria that i choose, do you see americans from different states being told to go back to their states of origin if they cant find jobs in one state?

All businesses started out on a small scale and built up - in civilised societies small businesses are incentivised and benefit from govt loans and subsidies, in nigeria they are run out of town. Would you prefer a foreign multinational to come to nigeria use lagosians as cheap sweat shop workers and remit all their profits back to europe and america - is that your idea of progress?
Why or how am I a tribalist . I consider that an insult and it is my practice to insult the parents and wish them death too,of anyone who insults me. That is the only warning I will give you. Nigerians are free to live whereever they like but they must understsnd that people have different values from place to place. Lagos is primarily not a "market" town like Onitsha or Kano though trading is a fundamental part of its history.There are certain things that are being imported wholesale that conflict with local values and the people are saying enough! A key one is the establishment of huge trading areas in what are residential areas .This is against local values and has been bulldozed in without any regard for local concerns and even with an air of capricious triumphalism.
The reason I continue to ask your origin is you ar clearly not sensitive to the concerns of Lagosians and seem to think all Nigerians are the same or should be. Even in Igboland there are huge differences between Owerri and Aba /Onitsha and Enugu or at least there were in the 90s and 80s. Lagos dos not like this idea of hundreds of traders suddenly taking over a residential area and converting it to a market zone. By law that much of Ladipo market is Illegal because the planning code for that area is residential. People assume that if they buy a house they have the right to do anything with it.This is not so under Lagos laws. So the notion of detribalized is funny if you do not respect locals.Is a woman not looking for trouble if she wears a mini skirt in Gusau.Let us accommodate each other but with respect.If you want to sell spare parts in Lagos do it the Lagos way,obey the laws. Imagine if People buy a whole street of houses in a residential area and start keeping cattle in it?To many Lagosians what is happening in Ladipo is no different.
That is all

2 Likes

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by EkoIle1: 11:52pm On Feb 11, 2013
Dibiachukwu:
Where did I say I want to crush lagos economy. I am just saying that we would do our business in our own ports; no matter how "village" it is. We want to bring home those so called insignificant businesses.

You missed the point. Le me rephrase the question.

How are you going to achieve all that with the insignificant infrastructures in the pictures I posted?

Secondly, it's not always about you and the rest of your clan heading back to your villages, there other factors limiting you and your people starting from safety and security to broader market.

You people on NL can spew all that tribal talk till eternity, but your people in Lagos are stup/id because they know how important Lagos is to their businesses and personal safety that no government in any of your states can guarantee.

A lot of transport companies lost businesses for the 3rd year in a row last Christmas simply because your people prefer to stay and enjoy their holidays in Lagos instead of endangering their lives or getting kidnapped and killed by their own people. You people have major worries in your villages greater than your needless crying and moaning over Lagos everyday.

Even sef, what are you going to deny Lagosians by going back to your villages? Your fake goods abi spare parts? We have more to gain with your exit FYI.

2 Likes

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by dramendra: 12:01am On Feb 12, 2013
If uncle fash really mean to clean lagos, I think he should also look towards those tout that harras people on the roads, those comercial vans that will drive rough and scratch your car and still over power you in numbers.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Dibiachukwu: 12:15am On Feb 12, 2013
Eko Ile:

You missed the point. Le me rephrase the question.

How are you going to achieve all that with the insignificant infrastructures in the pictures I posted?

Secondly, it's not always about you and the rest of your clan heading back to your villages, there other factors limiting you and your people starting from safety and security to broader market.

You people on NL can spew all that tribal talk till eternity, but your people in Lagos are stup/id because they know how important Lagos is to their businesses and personal safety that no government in any of your states can guarantee.

A lot of transport companies lost businesses for the 3rd year in a row last Christmas simply because your people prefer to stay and enjoy their holidays in Lagos instead of endangering their lives or getting kidnapped and killed by their own people. You people have major worries in your villages greater than your needless crying and moaning over Lagos everyday.

Even sef, what are you going to deny Lagosians by going back to your villages? Your fake goods abi spare parts? We have more to gain with your exit FYI.

No lagos CAN never be safer for the Igbo than their village. That is just a mischievous thing to say. Slowly we would get there in terms of infrastructure. The seaport in onicha would be used to its capacity. If we need more, we would scout for other good locations in the SE.
@ the bolded
We are not trying to get those Igbo business men, because we want anybody to be deprived of anything. We are just trying to attract more business people. Lagos may not need them, but we need them in the SE.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by cap28: 12:28am On Feb 12, 2013
debosky:

Fashola is the democratically elected representative of Lagos state - he has the mandate to collect taxes and levies on behalf of the residents of Lagos State.

He is doing a lot of things - or do you think initiatives like this https://www.nairaland.com/1192711/lagos-build-inner-city-roads are paid for by hot air?

Besides, if taxpayers feel they are not benefiting, then they should challenge the validity of the levy/taxes through legal channels not by beating up employees of the government carrying out their legal duties.

Irrelevant examples - is Walmart coming to compete with Mile 2 spare part dealers? cheesy

none of fashola's policies are benefitting the average lagosian
aribisala0: Me answer your question. Ogun will visit your household and play with your family.
Ogun who played with the the littele child and behold
her v.agina bled all day.
Your mother will bleed to death

It will not be well with your mother she will succumb to cancer and die with wailing and agony

hahaha just as i thought - an old deranged loser trawling NL night and day looking for e fights with young men, young enough to be his grandson - old man go and take your meds or better still try euthanasia - the less unhinged maggots like you we have in our midst the better.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by cap28: 12:34am On Feb 12, 2013
debosky:

we all know that nigeria is not a democracy, the people of nigeria do not benefit in any way from any govt policies - elections are rigged and/ or bought - FACT

Fashola's intiatives are aimed at enriching himself and his business associates and impoverishing the masses.

challenge by way of legal channels - in a country like nigeria that does not respect the rule of law ? where judges are bought left right and centre? give me a break

I never said WAlmart was coming to compete with spare parts dealers i referred to walmart in a generic sense - what i meant was that only corporations with the wealth, market share and international standing as Walmart will be able to compete in a free trade zone.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Nobody: 12:40am On Feb 12, 2013
Where are the MODs,insultive members in nl need to be banned for life.We africans go about pretending about having respect for elders,that we bow down to greet elders.I am from the east and we normally do not postrate on the floor to greet our parents or elders,and some non-igbos wrongly see it as a sign of disrespect.But from experience,both online and in the real world,I know that the worst set of people when it comes to disrespecting and insulting their fellow human beings and abusing elders and peoples parents and wishing people evil certainly do not come from the east.

2 Likes

Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by EkoIle1: 12:59am On Feb 12, 2013
Dibiachukwu:

No lagos CAN never be safer for the Igbo than their village
. That is just a mischievous thing to say. Slowly we would get there in terms of infrastructure. The seaport in onicha would be used to its capacity. If we need more, we would scout for other good locations in the SE.
@ the bolded
We are not trying to get those Igbo business men, because we want anybody to be deprived of anything. We are just trying to attract more business people. Lagos may not need them, but we need them in the SE.

According to your people when they decided not to go back home for the holidays because of safety concerns, they clearly made the determination that one place is safer than the other and they picked the safer place which was Lagos. Wake up and smell the coffee.

I'm sure you need your people and I'm not against your people returning home, infact, they can leave right now, I care less. The point I'm making is, regardless of all the noise you people on NL spew everyday about Lagos and your people in Lagos, they are not stupid, they know they got it made in Lagos and heading back home is the last think on their mind. They are not ready to go back to village life or subject themselves ad their families to violence or death.

You can not even sell to yourselves and thrive and Lagosdians are not going to be trooping to your villages back east to buy from you.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Smooyis(m): 1:17am On Feb 12, 2013
eastman11: Govt of Lagos state is targeting Igbo business men with a lot of punitive taxes, levies and looting their shop forgetting that what goes around comes around, this can only result to increase in spare parts prices with the effect that ordinary Lagosians will still be the once to pay for it.

The truth is that no one will run Igbos out of Lagos because we have virtually bought it over and imposing levies and taxes will do no one any good.
Stop ur local and tribal mentality. Everyone is supposed to pay tax. As an employee with Lagos I pay nothing less than 100k per annum. I don't know why some igbos always read tribal meanings to everything. U should be law abiding whereva u are. There are yorubas selling automobiles as well. Though in d minorities. Our concern should be that d govt uses d money realised properly and not for us to b playing tribal cards. Apologies to d good and law abiding igbos pls
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by VirginFinder: 1:28am On Feb 12, 2013
That's why I've warned Igbos against being unnecessarily boastful.

Who knows? Fashola or a number of LASG officials may be registered members of this community and have been following the empty boasts concerning Lagos from the Igbos hence this backlash.

Igbos grow up!
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by seunny4lif(m): 1:56am On Feb 12, 2013
Smooyis: Stop ur local and tribal mentality. Everyone is supposed to pay tax. As an employee with Lagos I pay nothing less than 100k per annum. I don't know why some igbos always read tribal meanings to everything. U should be law abiding whereva u are. There are yorubas selling automobiles as well. Though in d minorities. Our concern should be that d govt uses d money realised properly and not for us to b playing tribal cards. Apologies to d good and law abiding igbos pls
Bros,i wonder oooh after reading all this nl internet warriors,who have never step out of their house...In libya no fake automobile part oo becos the government knows all the shops around the country...In tripoli,all shops,i mean all kind of shops from provisions to highest company in the country are all known by government...U cant open shop for anywhere u like ooooh..All automobile parts are original no fake becos if anything happen to the motor and they discover say na wetin dem buy for ur shop cause am...Just run for ur life becos na die be that...Government should try to control spare parts deals just like food and drug control people...Peace
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by seunny4lif(m): 1:56am On Feb 12, 2013
Smooyis: Stop ur local and tribal mentality. Everyone is supposed to pay tax. As an employee with Lagos I pay nothing less than 100k per annum. I don't know why some igbos always read tribal meanings to everything. U should be law abiding whereva u are. There are yorubas selling automobiles as well. Though in d minorities. Our concern should be that d govt uses d money realised properly and not for us to b playing tribal cards. Apologies to d good and law abiding igbos pls
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by DuduNegro: 2:30am On Feb 12, 2013
Virgin Finder: That's why I've warned Igbos against being unnecessarily boastful.

Who knows? Fashola or a number of LASG officials may be registered members of this community and have been following the empty boasts concerning Lagos from the Igbos hence this backlash.

Igbos grow up!

Lagos govt is not that low to dedicate time and productive hours to monitor internet activity. an ID program with complete database records is what we need. its only a matter of time. its a self-reporting program, everything is captured and flagged accordingly.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Bokoharam: 3:27am On Feb 12, 2013
Fashola has failed...woefully. I never knew people can change this fast.

Anyway, whether with Armoured Personal Carried (APC) or ACN, Tinubu has lost Lagos to PDP by share stupidity & irresponsibility.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by seanet01: 5:26am On Feb 12, 2013
Bokoharam: Fashola has failed...woefully. I never knew people can change this fast.

Anyway, whether with Armoured Personal Carried (APC) or ACN, Tinubu has lost Lagos to PDP by share stupidity & irresponsibility.
EDIOT.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by cfours: 5:34am On Feb 12, 2013
oyb: long and short - the only place where ibos can d business is where there is no regulation whatsoever any tom, dick or harry is free to wake tomorrow and become a dealer

it is the same rubbish which has turned festac to an eyesore with used goods and used cars for sale at every corner
grin grin
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Blyss: 5:48am On Feb 12, 2013
redsun: Have the policies makers ever given it a second thought that with the banning of okada,the motorcycle spare parts dealers may not be making enough to up for the registration fee?

That's there problem. The law is the law, and if they have a problem with the fee.. then they need take it up with the federal agency in which handles the legislation in which determines such fees in an attempt to have them changed.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by pazienza(m): 6:03am On Feb 12, 2013
Oh dear! My people lack visionary leaders. Everyone of them thinks for themselves and their immediate families. Ndiigbo,which way now?
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by DuduNegro: 6:22am On Feb 12, 2013
Here is what I propose.

Lagos State Academy for Social Integration of Igbo Traders. Fashola should solicit successful Igbos living in Lagos to volunteer time instructing brothers from the east on the expectations, etiquette and decorum of living and operating business in a regulated and organized environment. The graduates of the academy pay back by volunteering their own time to teach new enrolees.

The classes should be mandated for those who breach the law, If they refuse to enroll or attend then they should be given "due process" out of Lagos.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by Ngwakwe: 6:27am On Feb 12, 2013
Federal Government wants to encourage investment by reducing cost of registration of company with foreign equity participation from N50,000 to N15,000.

Lagos State under our (yet to be messiah President) Babatunde Fashola is discouraging business by forcing Spare Parts and Auto Dealers to pay yearly renewable "levy" of N50,000 and N100,000 without recourse to the size of their business.

If APC is to adopt the Economic policies of Lagos State Govt, I will "advise" my Eastern Nigeria brethren to keep of this so called mega party until Fashola's ulterior motives are purged from the system for better Nigeria.
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by DuduNegro: 6:32am On Feb 12, 2013
but your Eastern brothers already made declaration that they have nothing to do with APC, so what does it matter if Fashola reverses his policy or not?

Why don't the Igbo traders get foreign partnership then to enjoy the federal tax bracket?
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by born2boink(m): 7:45am On Feb 12, 2013
Lagos don destroy..... From Okada, to Kiosk owner, spear part dealers,to Agbero, even no more registration for keke napep, who is next?

I am starting to see Sanusi in fashola, over sabbi kill
Re: 43 Spare Parts’ Shops, Closed & Traders Arrested In Lagos by born2boink(m): 7:55am On Feb 12, 2013
BRT can never rule this country, remember he chased aboki wey dey park waste and their uselessss government waste management no dey even show up again

Na pursue pursue government, once his term finish make him pursue himself go abroad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Enugu Pro-Oduah Protesters Got N4,000 Each - Investigation / 2019: How APC Is Buying Pvcs Of Idps – PDP Cries Out / APC Convention: Battle As South East Aspirants Reject Deputy National Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.