Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,751 members, 7,844,468 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:52 PM

Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, (15288 Views)

Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores / I Hate Any Form Of Housework And I'll Work My Ass To Hire A Maid / Which Housework Do You Love/hate Most (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by akino(m): 7:48pm On Feb 13, 2013
[CHocolaTE:
]How are you and yours? Hope everyone is fine. If so, thanks be to God.
My purpose of writing this letter is to inform you that you guys really need to start pitying your wives when it comes to the issue of housework.
Ejor, we understand that you are kings and monarchs and are very powerful and wonderful.
But abeg, try to pity your wives when it comes to the issue of housework.
I have seen different threads on Nairaland where men stated that they can not help with the housework because that is a woman's work or because if they help their wives she will start expecting them to always assist.
One thing you should realize is that you should help out if your wife contributes financially even if the responsibility of taking care of the house is expected to be that of the woman in the society we live in.
It is not easy for women, you have to understand this, having to run jobs and take care of kids and take care of the house all at once is not a piece of cake so please help out.

How would you feel if your wife refused to contribute money to help you with something you have dire need of money for, maybe your business? Or if she refused to contribute money for medical care that you might need for an illness someday in future? What if your wife refused to help you in such times because she believes that contributing financially to the house is something only the husband should do?
Kindly start assisting in the house, thank you. It doesn't make you less of a man.

Yours Faithfully,
Chocolate.
I like ur approach not bc i am a man.with this approach i can do anytin except washing undies for my wife.In my home now, washing maching is faulty and i am thinking abt getting anoda one.I can use money to buy comfort for my wife but i am a bit lazy when it comes to doing d chores.I am a bit comfortable with cleaning of my toilet and birthroom but my wife begs me to this.I will do more because of ur pleading. Thank u chocolate

4 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by CHoccolaTE: 7:49pm On Feb 13, 2013
dayokanu:
Its a division of roles in any family.
When growing up if you need to cut the grass, fix the car, do heavy lifting its the boys that get called up, When its cleaning and cooking its the women
Why do most women leave heavy work for the men to do, When theres electrical, mechanical work to be done at home mostly its the man, when you are asleep at night and hear sounds downstairs its the man that wakes up to go check wassup
Is it that the women look down on men as the beast of burden for doing such heavy lifting and energy sapping duties
@bold. In many households, men don't have the know-how to handle complicated electrical and mechanical work so a professional is called. Infact many people prefer to call an electrician for things like electrical installations because faulty electrical installatins could proove to be fatal.
Also, these things are stuff that come up once in a long while unlike cooking and cleaning and taking care of children that are an everyday affair.
Women are not typically as physically strong as men. Why do men expect them to do more work than their husbands?

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by CHoccolaTE: 7:51pm On Feb 13, 2013
akino:
I like ur approach not bc i am a man.with this approach i can do anytin except washing undies for my wife.In my home now, washing maching is faulty and i am thinking abt getting anoda one.I can use money to buy comfort for my wife but i am a bit lazy when it comes to doing d chores.I am a bit comfortable with cleaning of my toilet and birthroom but my wife begs me to this.I will do more because of ur pleading. Thank u chocolate

Are you serious?
Wow I am so happy! You just made my evening. Thank you so much.
Wow smiley smiley smiley
God willing, you will never have cause to regret taking this decision.
More power to your elbow. smiley

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by JallowBah(f): 7:55pm On Feb 13, 2013
Michky: Any kind of help? Please clarify.
You speak like women should really be respected. You ediots steal like men do, kill like men do, lie like men etc. What is the guarantee that while am doing the dishes, another man is not doing your dish some where else. Abeg joor, i marry you to support me. If you have any other motive, then i'll find someone else. Chikenah!

..and you feel they should not be respected, or am I misunderstanding you?

dayokanu:

Its a division of roles in any family.

When growing up if you need to cut the grass, fix the car, do heavy lifting its the boys that get called up, When its cleaning and cooking its the women

Why do most women leave heavy work for the men to do, When theres electrical, mechanical work to be done at home mostly its the man, when you are asleep at night and hear sounds downstairs its the man that wakes up to go check wassup

Is it that the women look down on men as the beast of burden for doing such heavy lifting and energy sapping duties

That is not how it is everywhere. My husband learned the "man-things" growing up as well as how to clean and cook with his mother.
I know how to cut grass, fix a car ( oil, change of tires, changing small spareparts, lights, checking oil, gas, air, etc etc ), change the floor in a house, build up furniture, etc.
I also know how to cook and clean, and fix a clogged up toilet, change a diaper, put down a fire, change a window for that matter.

I love the fact that my parents taught me all, so I could survive on my own. But then again, in my country it is normal to move out on your own before meeting a spouse, some go to live alone because of school at the age of 16. Who was supposed to go and check noises in the apartment when I was living alone? Who was supposed to cook and clean for my hubby when he was living alone?
Why should all of that be forgotten, just because we got married..?

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by Michky: 8:01pm On Feb 13, 2013
SELFWORTH:

Who let this DOG out? He is barking at any and everything.

He wants to express himself but cannot tolerate others right to express themselves freely.

He thinks a man who support his wife in all areas is a 'punny' and has been moulded by society.

He thinks he is a better husband becos he can use his mouth to insult others unnecessarily .

He thinks he knows me and the whole society becos of his access to NL via a smart phone.

He thinks he is Gods gift to some poor woman suffering in silence.

You are not accountable to me but to God so I don't care what you are or what you do or what you think.

I am expressing myself freely but if you don't like my comment or stance. Please swallow your bitterness and vanish into space somewhere.

selfish git!
hahahahahahahahah. I laugh in swahili. So, these are your interpretations of my posts abi? Mature goat. It is clear that you grew in the midst of women. Most of your teachers till later secondary were women. You think opening that dirty hole in your face and spitting poo is equal to expression abi.
Look poo, that pencil between your legs doesn't make you a man o. Being a man is in the mind and clearly you're not one.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by dayokanu(m): 8:03pm On Feb 13, 2013
JallowBah:

That is not how it is everywhere. My husband learned the "man-things" growing up as well as how to clean and cook with his mother.
I know how to cut grass, fix a car ( oil, change of tires, changing small spareparts, lights, checking oil, gas, air, etc etc ), change the floor in a house, build up furniture, etc.
I also know how to cook and clean, and fix a clogged up toilet, change a diaper, put down a fire, change a window for that matter.

I love the fact that my parents taught me all, so I could survive on my own. But then again, in my country it is normal to move out on your own before meeting a spouse, some go to live alone because of school at the age of 16. Who was supposed to go and check noises in the apartment when I was living alone? Who was supposed to cook and clean for my hubby when he was living alone?

Just the same way your husband was cooking and cleaning for himself when he was single and living alone. Or before he met you was he starving?

When you get married you wont be doing heavy lifting again but would expect the man to do it. If you are out and you are lifting heavy stuff how would it look?

The same way it would be if your man is cooking
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by JallowBah(f): 8:05pm On Feb 13, 2013
Michky: hahahahahahahahah. I laugh in swahili. So, these are your interpretations of my posts abi? Mature goat. It is clear that you grew in the midst of women. Most of your teachers till later secondary were women. You think opening that dirty hole in your face and spitting poo is equal to expression abi.
Look poo, that pencil between your legs doesn't make you a man o. Being a man is in the mind and clearly you're not one.

A real man have respect for other human beings.
A real man helps his wife when she need it, without her even having to ask.
A real man treats his wife like a queen, not like a slave or a servant.
A real man knows how to take care of himself and his house, and does not need to pay someone to do so.

And from what I have seen in here, you are none of these.
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by dayokanu(m): 8:07pm On Feb 13, 2013
[CHocolaTE:
]
@bold. In many households, men don't have the know-how to handle complicated electrical and mechanical work so a professional is called. Infact many people prefer to call an electrician for things like electrical installations because faulty electrical installatins could proove to be fatal.
Also, these things are stuff that come up once in a long while unlike cooking and cleaning and taking care of children that are an everyday affair.
Women are not typically as physically strong as men. Why do men expect them to do more work than their husbands?

In most household before a professional is called you first call on the man to come look it up.

If your car fails to start the first person you call even before a mechanic is your husband to look at it.

if you hear sound downstairs before you call the cops the husband is the first person you call to go check it
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by JallowBah(f): 8:07pm On Feb 13, 2013
dayokanu:

Just the same way your husband was cooking and cleaning for himself when he was single and living alone. Or before he met you was he starving?

When you get married you wont be doing heavy lifting again but would expect the man to do it. If you are out and you are lifting heavy stuff how would it look?

The same way it would be if your man is cooking

Uhm..I do not have any problem with lifting heavy things. If I am strong enough to lift it, why should I ask my husband to do it for me? Where is the logic?
Before he met me, he cooked and cleaned himself. So there is no reason for him to stop absolutely just because he got a ring on his finger, no. And he do not wish to stop completely either.
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by Michky: 8:08pm On Feb 13, 2013
JallowBah:

This ignoramus keeps trying to put words into my mouth. You this girl, you better find something better to do before i vex. Everyone could deduce that i meant women should not be treated specially because they do terrible things aswell. Hey, don't get me to insult you o. Take time.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by JallowBah(f): 8:08pm On Feb 13, 2013
dayokanu:

In most household before a professional is called you first call on the man to come look it up.

If your car fails to start the first person you call even before a mechanic is your husband to look at it.

if you hear sound downstairs before you call the cops the husband is the first person you call to go check it

...not in all houses, no. If our car fails to start, I am the one who knows how to fix it, not him. He grew up in the bush with cows and dust, you think he knows cars?wink
If I hear sounds downstairs, I am not afraid to go look myself. I grew up in the bush, I know how to handle a knife.
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by SELFWORTH: 8:09pm On Feb 13, 2013
Michky: hahahahahahahahah. I laugh in swahili. So, these are your interpretations of my posts abi? Mature goat. It is clear that you grew in the midst of women. Most of your teachers till later secondary were women. You think opening that dirty hole in your face and spitting poo is equal to expression abi.

Who let this DOG out? He is barking at any and everything.

He wants to express himself but cannot tolerate others right to express themselves freely.

He thinks a man who support his wife in all areas is a 'punny' and has been moulded by society.

He thinks he is a better husband becos he can use his mouth to insult others unnecessarily .

He thinks he knows me and the whole society becos of his access to NL via a smart phone.

He thinks he is Gods gift to some poor woman suffering in silence.

You are not accountable to me but to God so I don't care what you think or who you are or even what you will ever be.

I am expressing myself freely like everyone else but if you don't like my comment or stance, please disappear. You claim to be a man yet your comments is full of bitterness like a female palm wine seller.

Selfish and mannerless git!

Small boy. Stop clogging up the thread with your teenage posts.
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by dayokanu(m): 8:09pm On Feb 13, 2013
JallowBah:

Uhm..I do not have any problem with lifting heavy things. If I am strong enough to lift it, why should I ask my husband to do it for me? Where is the logic?
Before he met me, he cooked and cleaned himself. So there is no reason for him to stop absolutely just because he got a ring on his finger, no. And he do not wish to stop completely either.

You might do it but most women over 80% of women would call up their husband when there is something very heavy to be lifted because men are naturally stronger than women

He was eating before he got married same way you were getting along before you get married

Its natural in life for roles to be defined along sexual lines
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by JallowBah(f): 8:09pm On Feb 13, 2013
Michky: This ignoramus keeps trying to put words into my mouth. You this girl, you better find something better to do before i vex. Everyone could deduce that i meant women should not be treated specially because they do terrible things aswell. Hey, don't get me to insult you o. Take time.

Look at how you wrote it, don`t even try. I had no way of understanding those lines out of what you wrote.

You must really have been hurt before, am I right? Not all women do terrible things, some of us treat our husbands with more love and respect than you can ever imagine.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by dayokanu(m): 8:11pm On Feb 13, 2013
JallowBah:

...not in all houses, no. If our car fails to start, I am the one who knows how to fix it, not him. He grew up in the bush with cows and dust, you think he knows cars?wink
If I hear sounds downstairs, I am not afraid to go look myself. I grew up in the bush, I know how to handle a knife.

Maybe your household is unique where you are the more tech savvy, the stronger physically, the more knowledgeable in everything but in 70% of households its not like that
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by JallowBah(f): 8:12pm On Feb 13, 2013
dayokanu:

You might do it but most women over 80% of women would call up their husband when there is something very heavy to be lifted because men are naturally stronger than women

He was eating before he got married same way you were getting along before you get married

Its natural in life for roles to be defined along sexual lines

Not where I am from! And that is exactly my point: people are individuals, people are different, and do things differently. They find a spouse that matches them, not someone to change them completely.

My husband have more than once laughed at me because I at times think I am stronger than I really am, and he comes in and just shakes his head, and ask if I need a hand.
His friends have shaken their head more than once at me lifting heavy boxes and chairs under moving, because they expected me to just sit down and look at them do it.
That is not in my nature.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by JallowBah(f): 8:13pm On Feb 13, 2013
dayokanu:

Maybe your household is unique where you are the more tech savvy, the stronger physically, the more knowledgeable in everything but in 70% of households its not like that

He is stronger than me, but I am not weak. If I can take it myself, I am not gonna run to him and ask for help.
Same with dirty dishes: if he finish eating and I am not there, why let the dirty things stand until I come home?

He knows about things I have no clue on, I know about things he have no clue on. I like that, you learn something all the time.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by Michky: 8:14pm On Feb 13, 2013
JallowBah:

A real man have respect for other human beings.
A real man helps his wife when she need it, without her even having to ask.
A real man treats his wife like a queen, not like a slave or a servant.
A real man knows how to take care of himself and his house, and does not need to pay someone to do so.

And from what I have seen in here, you are none of these.
I think you just perfectly dropped the definition of "A POOR MAN". Now, except for the first one, replace the A real man with A poor man rightnow!

By the way, who is saying you should treat your wife like a slave. slowpoke, don't you know the meaning of househelp? We say get a househelp and you say we must work. Its clear that you have comprehension problems.

A real man would get his wife the needed help.
A real man would work hard
A real man would pay the bills
A real man would ensure that his wife is comfortable. etc.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by CHoccolaTE: 8:19pm On Feb 13, 2013
dayokanu:

Not really. I know how to fix my car (to a certain extent), and most of the time the car breaks down a long distance from home where the man cannot be called to check on it and a mechanic is called instead.
Look, I am not saying men should be domesticated or whatever, I am only saying that they should try to assist in the house and stop considering doing housework a taboo. Fine, traditionally women are meant to take care of the house, but that does not mean that the man should not do anything at all in the house even when his wife needs help.
He can still assist her with her work the same way she can assist him when he needs help with his 'manly' chores, she could help him do these mechanical or electrical stuff by maybe fetching the spanner of directing the flashlight at him when he does the electrical work in the dark.
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by Michky: 8:19pm On Feb 13, 2013
dayokanu:

Dayo, leave that mumu alone. We've used up about 13 pages on a different thread just yesterday on this same topic. I think this is what has brought her to nairaland. She's poor and she's married to a nigerian. According to her, the law in her country mandates husbands to babysit the child for 3months during which the mother will continue working. Now tell me, which kind of law would encourage man to be weaklings. Theirs is. Now she comes here bragging about it.

Look, she won't stop o. She's one big virus here and i don't think i'd stay here too long. Madrid match is about to start.
Check this out:
https://www.nairaland.com/1186740/what-exactly-mans-duty-home/13#1186740.432

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by CooldudeY2J: 8:19pm On Feb 13, 2013
Well, for me future mrs coolbabe wouldn't have a problem i will help her do some of d house chores, bath d kids n put them to bed but as for cooking n co she would b in charge.

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by dayokanu(m): 8:21pm On Feb 13, 2013
[CHocolaTE:
]

Not really. I know how to fix my car (to a certain extent), and most of the time the car breaks down a long distance from home where the man cannot be called to check on it and a mechanic is called instead.
Look, I am not saying men should be domesticated or whatever, I am only saying that they should try to assist in the house and stop considering doing housework a taboo. Fine, traditionally women are meant to take care of the house, but that does not mean that the man should not do anything at all in the house even when his wife needs help.
He can still assist her with her work the same way she can assist him when he needs help with his 'manly' chores, she could help him do these mechanical or electrical stuff by maybe fetching the spanner of directing the flashlight at him when he does the electrical work in the dark.

He could also help her by gisting with her while she does the house work

If its too much hire a maid simple
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by CHoccolaTE: 8:24pm On Feb 13, 2013
dayokanu:

Gisting is not assistance.
But why do you men think it is an abomination to do the work? Why not just assist instead of hiring a maid?
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by Michky: 8:27pm On Feb 13, 2013
[CHocolaTE:
]
Gisting is not assistance.
But why do you men think it is an abomination to do the work? Why not just assist instead of hiring a maid?
Look you're on your own. You wanna know why? You really wanna know why? My dear ask google. Olodo oshi. We don talk talk talk. E come be like say we dey negotiate price for market. This one na stubborn goat o. Odabo!
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by vanstanzy(m): 8:28pm On Feb 13, 2013
[CHocolaTE:
]
Abeg stop confusing my eyes with your font and different colors. I didn't ask for your 'like'. Just read the message and understand it.

Ok, all the same i "liked" u. Is it a crime? kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by JallowBah(f): 8:29pm On Feb 13, 2013
Michky: I think you just perfectly dropped the definition of "A POOR MAN". Now, except for the first one, replace the A real man with A poor man rightnow!

By the way, who is saying you should treat your wife like a slave. slowpoke, don't you know the meaning of househelp? We say get a househelp and you say we must work. Its clear that you have comprehension problems.

A real man would get his wife the needed help.
A real man would work hard
A real man would pay the bills
A real man would ensure that his wife is comfortable. etc.

You are the one saying men who help around the house are slaves, and that a man can not go down to the level of cleaning. That is not putting your wife up like a queen, that is saying you are better than her.

A real man would work hard, but spend just as much time with his family as his job. If that means less money, no problem, as long as he helps around the house.
A real man would pay his share of the bills, and a real woman would take her share, as long as they are both working.
A real woman would make sure his wife is comfortable, in the way SHE WISHES. If she want time with you, not new clothes, then what?

And why spend one hour extra every day at work just to pay for househelp, if that hour could be spend home with your loved ones, and all you would have to do, is swipe the floor, or clean some dishes?
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by CHoccolaTE: 8:31pm On Feb 13, 2013
vanstanzy:

Ok, all the same i "liked" u. Is it a crime? kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

No smiley
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by CHoccolaTE: 8:33pm On Feb 13, 2013
JallowBah:

You are the one saying men who help around the house are slaves, and that a man can not go down to the level of cleaning. That is not putting your wife up like a queen, that is saying you are better than her.

You should ignore that guy.He has very little skill with relating civilly with people.

2 Likes

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by JallowBah(f): 8:34pm On Feb 13, 2013
dayokanu:

So..the man is supposed to sit down in the sofa, and look at his wife cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, changing the diapers, feeding the kids, getting them to bed, doing the dishes, swiping the floor, etc, etc, etc...and then expect her to perform in bed?

...what do nigerians say...? NA WA O?
Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by JallowBah(f): 8:35pm On Feb 13, 2013
[CHocolaTE:
]

You should ignore that guy.He has very little skill with relating civilly with people.

Oh, I know. He is bitter at something, probably some girl who did something bullsh*t.
He said he have "experience with women like me", and talk about sweden all the time, so I am guessing some oyinbo chick broke his heart, or was just too much of a feministsmiley

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by Michky: 8:37pm On Feb 13, 2013
[CHocolaTE:
]
You know what? Talk to your wife and find out which of the house work she would like you to do. I am not stating any chores specifically. I just want men to stop zeroing their minds to doing any housework at all.
Doing housework does not make one less of a man like some men think. There is no scientific finding supporting that theory grin

Now I see where the problem is coming from.
It seems you have heard a lot of bad things about women or you have had a lot of bad experiences with women. If the latter is the case then I offer my condolences on whatever happened between you and the lady(s).
But you are wrong about that statement in bold. There are good women and they should be respected, not all women are bad. And women don't steal or kill or lie like men do. Ok, maybe they lie like men do, but they don't steal and kill like men. Come on, let's be realistic.
Was ALUU4 carried out by women?
Majority of the news you read on this site about armed robbers and rapists and pedophilles do not say that women are the perpetrators of the crime. These things are mostly done by men.
Let's be realistic man,
Come on.
It is clear that the poo in your head hasn't been completely removed. Check out this story nah.

https://www.nairaland.com/1168747/mistress-strangles-lover-4-children/2

1 Like

Re: Dear Nigerian Men That Don't Help With Housework, by CHoccolaTE: 8:42pm On Feb 13, 2013
JallowBah:

Oh, I know. He is bitter at something, probably some girl who did something bullsh*t.
He said he have "experience with women like me", and talk about sweden all the time, so I am guessing some oyinbo chick broke his heart, or was just too much of a feministsmiley

@bold, very possible. Maybe a heartbreak (something millions of people face everytime) is the reason for all this hatred.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Name 5 Things You Did As A Child During Christmas Period? / No Matter How Far You Have Gone The Wrong Path, You Can Always Turn Around / 25 Year Old Guy Impregnates His Mum In Abuja!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.