Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,090 members, 7,825,435 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. (84007 Views)

Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets / What Do You Know About Isoko People Of Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by preetyb(f): 9:08pm On Jun 03, 2015
EfemenaXY:

So how do we say "please", then? undecided

Biko is please while evie or evieole actually means please i pray the.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by EfemenaXY: 9:13pm On Jun 03, 2015
preetyb:

Biko is please while evie or evieole actually means please i pray the.

Okay, thanks.

What part of Isoko are you from?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by preetyb(f): 10:38pm On Jun 03, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Okay, thanks.
What part of Isoko are you from?

Okpe isoko
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by BarryX(m): 11:47pm On Jun 03, 2015
EfemenaXY:

So how do we say "please", then? undecided
I think please is Ivie-ole, Biko has to do with the tiny Igbo influence on the then "sobo" region.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by BarryX(m): 11:59pm On Jun 03, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Can't remember myself but it was something to do with the main duties of the chief's juju priest.

Out of interest, I'm curious to know what the main mode of dressing fir adults was pre the arrival of the missionary colonial masters? So say early 19th century..

Hmmm, that is some History doctorate thesis right there grin
I can't stomach an answer to that... I swear

I doubt my pops will know that even but I think some raffia leaves (ebie-orie) woven in aleze (canewood) will solve the puzzle of their unclothedness with native chalks criss-crossing the vertices of their abdomen..whewwwww

Igbe Isoko style! grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by BarryX(m): 12:01am On Jun 04, 2015
preetyb:

Okpe isoko
I'm grand maternally Okpe-Isoko.
Welcome my sister grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by EfemenaXY: 12:41am On Jun 04, 2015
BarryX:
Hmmm, that is some History doctorate thesis right there grin
I can't stomach an answer to that... I swear

I doubt my pops will know that even but I think some raffia leaves (ebie-orie) woven in aleze (canewood) will solve the puzzle of their unclothedness with native chalks criss-crossing the vertices of their abdomen..whewwwww

Igbe Isoko style! grin

Lol!

History doctorate thesis indeed... smiley But you know, I think your answer may not be that far-fetched. I remember my grandmother's older sister (God rest her soul) mentioning something about people just tying a small "something" around their waist in those days.

It's tantalizingly frustrating to think that generation of people were the missing link between us and our recent forefathers pre the advent of the missionary colonial masters, albeit the turn of the century...

My grandmother was probably born in the 20's, so her grandparents must have been around in the 1860's / 70's and would definitely have mentioned how they were told how things were done "in the old days"! Arrrgghhh! So close and yet so far! I took soooo many of my really old elders for granted, assuming they would always be around. How I wish I could turn back the clock to two decades and ask them all these burning questions.

(Sigh)...
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by EfemenaXY: 12:53am On Jun 04, 2015
BarryX:
I think please is Ivie-ole, Biko has to do with the tiny Igbo influence on the then "sobo" region.

Sobo. That word really marginalized us by wrapping us up with the Urhobos and Itsekeris, didn't it?

I'm still on the hunt for books / journals written in the 1930's and earlier about the Sobo people. Was going through some materials on JSTOR at one point but I kinda lost steam. Now I'm almost tempted to get back in there and continue researching.

But it's worth noting that the documented evidence there, from that time - 1930's and earlier would be from the white man's perspective and understanding. Our elders would have been in the best position to really tell us how things really were. Kind of hard with no real / proper documenion. Gosh! I was born 150 years too late!
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by preetyb(f): 9:36am On Jun 04, 2015
BarryX:
I'm grand maternally Okpe-Isoko.
Welcome my sister grin

Your are welcome
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by GodsMercyLife: 10:37am On Jun 04, 2015
-
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by BarryX(m): 10:47pm On Jun 04, 2015
GodsMercyLife:
Hello everyone. Is there anyone who understands Isoko very well. I need a tutor urgently.
I can help but you will have to ask the questions yourself wink

Please may I know why you want to learn Isoko so "urgently"?

Welcome
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by BarryX(m): 10:54pm On Jun 04, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Sobo. That word really marginalized us by wrapping us up with the Urhobos and Itsekeris, didn't it?

I'm still on the hunt for books / journals written in the 1930's and earlier about the Sobo people. Was going through some materials on JSTOR at one point but I kinda lost steam. Now I'm almost tempted to get back in there and continue researching.

But it's worth noting that the documented evidence there, from that time - 1930's and earlier would be from the white man's perspective and understanding. Our elders would have been in the best position to really tell us how things really were. Kind of hard with no real / proper documenion. Gosh! I was born 150 years too late!

http://.waado.org/Organizations/UHS/AnnualConferences/sixth/ikime/Ikime_isoko_urhobo.htm
best material ever on the sobo question
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by GodsMercyLife: 10:43am On Jun 06, 2015
-
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by GodsMercyLife: 6:24pm On Jun 06, 2015
-
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by GodsMercyLife: 6:26pm On Jun 06, 2015
-
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by BarryX(m): 6:41pm On Jun 06, 2015
GodsMercyLife:

I am going to be relating with a lot of them and I am also interested in their language a lot. Pls give me your contact so we can talk better
Hmmm, I think that is a bit too forward bro........

Why don't we start here first or you send yours
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by GodsMercyLife: 6:53pm On Jun 06, 2015
-
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by GodsMercyLife: 6:57pm On Jun 06, 2015
-
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by EfemenaXY: 6:59pm On Jun 06, 2015
BarryX:
Hmmm, I think that is a bit too forward bro........

Why don't we start here first or you send yours

Barry oh! cheesy cheesy

Ozo be mo wer? grin grin grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by BarryX(m): 8:32am On Jun 07, 2015
EfemenaXY:

Barry oh! cheesy cheesy

Ozo be mo wer? grin grin grin
Ozor kaka bi muo me grin
Epano oro Tai kome. Ozor muo me GaGa but ese riehe sha grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by BarryX(m): 8:46am On Jun 07, 2015
Sister Godsmercylife , if you actually got married to our tribe, you are so welcome grin grin

Sorry for being a bit too apprehensive at first about your intentions grin this is an anonymous forum, everything is possible sad

EfemenaXY , let's help her, she is our in-law
ivie ole me ro wer grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by BarryX(m): 8:57am On Jun 07, 2015
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by GodsMercyLife: 12:52pm On Jun 07, 2015
-
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by GodsMercyLife: 1:15pm On Jun 07, 2015
-
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Akposb(m): 2:53pm On Jun 07, 2015
I am happy I just discovered the thread. I am from Uro/Irri in Isoko South Local government.

Awho Isoko wadoo.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by EfemenaXY: 3:07pm On Jun 07, 2015
BarryX:
Ozor kaka bi muo me grin
Epano oro Tai kome. Ozor muo me GaGa but ese riehe sha grin

Lol!

BarryX:
Sister Godsmercylife , if you actually got married to our tribe, you are so welcome grin grin

Sorry for being a bit too apprehensive at first about your intentions grin this is an anonymous forum, everything is possible sad

EfemenaXY , let's help her, she is our in-law
ivie ole me ro wer grin

Ewoma. smiley smiley
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by EfemenaXY: 3:08pm On Jun 07, 2015
Akposb:
I am happy I just discovered the thread. I am from Uro/Irri in Isoko South Local government.

Awho Isoko wadoo.

You are very welcome.

Hope you carry Kola nut, Kai-kai, and alligator pepper follow body so? smiley
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Akposb(m): 4:05pm On Jun 07, 2015
EfemenaXY:

You are very welcome.

Yes ready to serve it round.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by BarryX(m): 5:47pm On Jun 07, 2015
EfemenaXY:

You are very welcome.

The kai-kai is very important for libation purpose.
Akposb please don't forget the money wager, The Kolanut must not roll grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Akposb(m): 8:42pm On Jun 07, 2015
BarryX:
The kai-kai is very important for libation purpose.
Akposb please don't forget the money wager, The Kolanut must not roll grin
Okay Sir
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Akposy(m): 9:23am On Jul 09, 2015
Digwo sir/ma.
I am isoko boy and am contesting 4 a pageant next week. What isoko cultural display can i do to win and stand out
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 09, 2015
Akposy:
Digwo sir/ma.
I am isoko boy and am contesting 4 a pageant next week. What isoko cultural display can i do to win and stand out

who exactly r u asking??

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Masquerades At Golibe Festival Onitsha (Photos) / Lady Agreed Married A Dead Man (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.