Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,674 members, 7,813,247 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:33 AM

12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class - Islam for Muslims (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class (28551 Views)

What Stops You From Wearing The Hijab? / Why Are Muslim Students Still Wearing Hijab To School (see Pics) / French Rapper Stuns Fans, Makes First TV Appearance Wearing Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by eagleeye2: 12:27pm On Feb 23, 2013
jammyng: should there be disparity then?

No. But that does not justify us taking sides with the principal because it happened elsewhere in the North.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by jesusisgood(f): 12:27pm On Feb 23, 2013
eagle,eye:
I once took 42 strokes of the cane.

I have taken more than 100 from my father. Good times...
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by stone07(m): 12:28pm On Feb 23, 2013
What a great lier is this poster.How wll someone give 12yrs old girl 43 strokes of cane.Forum let us reason nah.This is not possible wen d teacher is not boko haram.

2 Likes

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by deols(f): 12:28pm On Feb 23, 2013
Agrika: Ooh please! make we hear word, come to the north and see how female christain secondary and primary school students are treated, if you talk they will tell you when you go to Rome you dress like the Romans, i remember in one of my friend's secondary school then her principal brought a female christain student out in the assembly, for not wearing hijab and she called her an "arna" who wants to practise her "karuwanci" in the school after then she was given 12 lashes and publicily disgraced, though am not in support of the 43 lashes but if any measures should be taken, it should be taken based on the fact she ordered for 43 lashes on a 12 year old not based on the fact she punished a girl for wearing hijab.

then u mean the northern principal was right?

you fail to realise that two wrongs dont make a right.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by eagleeye2: 12:29pm On Feb 23, 2013
folahann: Flogging the poor girl is wrong, no doubt. But I think the school authority must have stated their rules and regulations pertaining to the situation.
Even in universities for example, covenant university, it is forbidden for female students to wear trousers.

Covenant is a private university. The principal is heading a Public Secondary School in a society that practices different religion.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Akanbiedu(m): 12:29pm On Feb 23, 2013
So this is all MSSN can do. Mrs. Ukpaka should have been the one making a call for suspension of MSSN by now. Shior

#ba ye ba gba Tapa, a ko'le Igunnu#
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by jesusisgood(f): 12:29pm On Feb 23, 2013
stone07: What a great lier is this poster.How wll someone give 12yrs old girl 43 strokes of cane.Forum let us reason nah.This is not possible wen d teacher is not boko haram.

My brother, please don't be naive. We are talking about human beings. As much as we are capable of good and kind things, there are some of us who are just intrinsically evil. Younger children have been raped to death before so this is not implausible.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by folahann(m): 12:31pm On Feb 23, 2013
I just hope this doesn't get out of hands, otherwise we go soon hear the BOMB.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by eagleeye2: 12:31pm On Feb 23, 2013
stone07: What a great lier is this poster.How wll someone give 12yrs old girl 43 strokes of cane.Forum let us reason nah.This is not possible wen d teacher is not boko haram.

You guys seems to amaze me. Is it that some of you never attended secondary school in Nigeria?
What with this denial or exaggeration of a thing?
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by siddiq202(m): 12:32pm On Feb 23, 2013
folahann: Flogging the poor girl is wrong, no doubt. But I think the school authority must have stated their rules and regulations pertaining to the situation.
Even in universities for example, covenant university, it is forbidden for female students to wear trousers.

The school in question is owned by the government
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Alumnus: 12:32pm On Feb 23, 2013
siddiq202: 12year-old given 43 strokes of cane over hijab

…MSSN calls for suspension of erring principal

Twelve-year–old and a JSS 1 student of Kadara Junior Grammar School, Ebute Metta, Lagos, Aisha Alabi was recently subjected to very horrible and inhuman treatment by the School Principal, Mrs. E.C Ukpaka, because she used hijab.

The Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria (MSSN) Lagos State Area Unit in a press release signed by its PRO, Sulaimon Alamutu, therefore called the attention of the state government and the entire peace-loving citizens of the state to the inhuman, unprofessional and barbaric act of the principal.

“Our findings show that Aisha wore the Hijab outside the class in the school compound when she was seen by Mrs. Ukpaka who immediately called an emergency assembly and allegedly ordered her to be beaten. The students at the assembly, we learnt, counted no less than 43 strokes of cane landing on the hapless little girl’s body!

This happened on Tuesday February 5, 2013 around some minutes to 4pm. This is quite unfortunate and unacceptable in a country where the constitution guarantees the citizens right to practice and manifest any religion of their choice without any interference from any quarter.”

If all these provisions are clearly guaranteed in the nation’s constitution, we are seriously at a loss as to why Mrs. Ukpaka, who we expected to know better and act accordingly, would deliberately and with impunity; violate the provisions of the constitution. Aside the fact that the principal brazenly violated the constitution, what if the little girl dies in the process of beating her, what excuse would she give as her reason?

This amounts to child abuse!” Mrs Ukpaka’s action demonstrates the deep hatred and disgust that most non- Muslims school principals in Lagos State have against our law abiding female members.

Hers is not the first as others had done similar thing in the past without any disciplinary action against them by the state government. In the light of this, the student body called for the immediate suspension of Mrs. Ukpaka and orders a full investigation into the matter.

“Ours is a law abiding organisation and the state government can attest to this fact. It should be noted that the leadership of the MSSN Lagos State Area Unit had had course in the past to keep its members across the state calm over recurrent abuses and discriminations against our sisters in the face of government’s indifference towards bringing to justice those maltreating them because of Hijab.

However, we must state that failure to take disciplinary action against Mrs. Ukpaka this time around would draw the anger of the entire Muslim Students’ population in the state.”

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/12year-old-given-43-strokes-of-cane-over-hijab/

I believe this story is highly exagerated.
1. Public schools close by 2pm on week days and 1 pm on friday. How possible is it then for a Principal to see a student wearing Hijab by 4pm (after school hour)and Cane her 42 times?

2. Which emergency assembly will a school call by 4pm?

But if this story is true, the Principal got got it wrong because there could have been a better way to punish her. Let's also not forget that Hijab is not a school uniform and if such is allowed then the essence of wearing school uniform is defeated.

6 Likes

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by deols(f): 12:32pm On Feb 23, 2013
o'boy:
RULES are meant to be Obeyed even if you are related To Osama Bin-laden or Barrack Obama

and d rules of the land(constitution)allows her to practice her religion.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by eagleeye2: 12:32pm On Feb 23, 2013
[quote author=rafhell]

Have you heard of reverse psychology?
You indirectly confessing what you normally do.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by ckkris: 12:32pm On Feb 23, 2013
siddiq202:

I can give you the principal's phone number to ask her the reason behind the flogging if you want to call her.

Is Chelsea playing today? Its time to join a world audience, where real people display their real names, not whipping up sentiments, angling for oil money, using religion, ogboni, or a combination thereof.

UP D R O G B A
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 12:33pm On Feb 23, 2013
The Lagos High Court ruled on Thursday, November 18, that no party or person can force Muslim girls to take off their hijab which, it maintained, is part and parcel of personal freedoms.

In October, the Lagos National Institute of Health and Technology banned Muslim students from entering classrooms, a decision backed by the state government.

Students Fatimo Abidemi Razak, Titilayo Sanni, Idiatu Asabi Ayinde and Sunbo Bada challenged the decision with the high court, asking that the ban be declared illegal and a breach of their rights.

Judge Olubunmi Oyewole of the High Court ruled that the ban was a breach of articles 38 and 42 of the Nigerian constitution.

He further said the institution failed to prove how hijab could spark a religious conflict.

The judge underscored that the institute, a public school funded by tax payers and owned by the Lagos state government, cannot operate outside the provisions of Constitution.

Refuting arguments that the students ought to abide by the institute’s regulations expressed in their admission letters, Oyewole said they did not waive their rights to their religious beliefs and practice merely because they accepted the admission letters.

2 Likes

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by paris10: 12:33pm On Feb 23, 2013
Muslims are too sensitive to the issue of religion. If this was to happen in Kano or any islamic state, that teacher would have been dead by now. I don't support caning, but seriously hijab is not part of dress code.

Muslims are always looking for the opportunity to start riot. They cant take correction, and any attempt to do this will amount to blood shed. I guess it is better to just leave them alone. Everyone is treated the same way in Nja, but the Muslims will tell you otherwise. Pls stop shoving this religion thing in our face.. enough.

3 Likes

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by shamson: 12:34pm On Feb 23, 2013
Frostyzone: I don't in any way support extremism, and the principal's callous actions warrant a jail sentence, at least.

But going through these thread and reading the hypocritical comments of our Muslims citizens made me to remember something.

If such thing had happened in the north, the girl would be in the morgue and the principal would be going about her daily business as if nothing happened.

So please spare some of us your holier than thou attitudes and chalk it up as "one of those things".

It's not you against the world as you would make the uninformed believe.

If you don't have something nice to say is advice you keep shut and stop supporting the wicked.And remember, this is south west and not the North or South/south or south east.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Psylas(m): 12:34pm On Feb 23, 2013
This story is fake
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by siddiq202(m): 12:34pm On Feb 23, 2013
Akanbi_edu: So this is all MSSN can do. Mrs. Ukpaka should have been the one making a call for suspension of MSSN by now. Shior

I think MSSN is on the right path still work in progress, what do you expect them to have done?
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by deols(f): 12:36pm On Feb 23, 2013
Akanbi_edu: So this is all MSSN can do. Mrs. Ukpaka should have been the one making a call for suspension of MSSN by now. Shior

It is okay for Mss to seek a civil way to it.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by ckkris: 12:37pm On Feb 23, 2013
eagle,eye:

I once took 42 strokes of the cane.

Then you were really a very bad kid.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by itsekiri89(m): 12:39pm On Feb 23, 2013
This post has been hidden.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by eagleeye2: 12:40pm On Feb 23, 2013
ckkris:

Then you were really a very bad kid.

My dear, if you went to a boarding house like the one I was in, you will never be suprised with some extreme and inhuman treatment human beings can subject their fellow human beings.
I did something wrong actually, but I don't believe that the punishment given was appropriate.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 23, 2013
oyb: Biatch must have thought she was home in the east where hatred of Islam is a badge of honor to be worn proudly.

stop this fallacious generalizations!!...what has the whole eastern states got to do with hatred of islam.?

Aint it in the same east that moslems go about there daily routine without the fear of being bombed or executed by mask wearing gun weilding gunmen?..mtcheeewww..stop this your hatred, it won't fetch you a penny!!

@topic, the woman should be charged to court and made to pay for her stupidity and wickedness.

On other hand, i want to point it out that schools have rules and regulations which must be abided to if you're a student in that school.i'm not tryna defend the principal at all.

In the sec school i went, we were told not to fly out, keep afro and for the ladies, to be on low cut and never fix their nails ETC and if one didn't agree to these rules, he or she is allowed to leave.so maybe aisha disobeyed the rules and regulation of the school but her punishment was too extreme.she should've been sent home or something but not caned 43 times.that's insanity!!

2 Likes

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by JoannaSedley(f): 12:46pm On Feb 23, 2013
[quote author=mmmustapha] your rebuttal is so unpolished and uncivilised. Give an answer or walk.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 12:48pm On Feb 23, 2013
ckkris: Then why do you prescribe 4300 stroke of cane.

you dey mind that bigot?
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by JoannaSedley(f): 12:49pm On Feb 23, 2013
[quote author=mmmustapha] your rebuttal is so unpolished and uncivilised. Give an answer or walk.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Burger01(m): 12:49pm On Feb 23, 2013
Eneze1: if she want to practice her religion nobody is stopping her but in a school that has a code of dressing which should be adhere to, I dont believe the hijab is part of the code of dressing and if her parents want her to be using hijab they should have sent her to a school that uses it.
End of Discussion... Nothing more to say except that an average Islamist is an extremist....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Honor Killing, Jungle Justice...not ISLAMIC! / Indonesia Steamrolls 18,000 Bottles Of Alcohol During Ramadan (photos) / Solatul Fatih....right Or Wrong To Recite?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.