Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,757 members, 7,813,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class - Islam for Muslims (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class (28556 Views)

What Stops You From Wearing The Hijab? / Why Are Muslim Students Still Wearing Hijab To School (see Pics) / French Rapper Stuns Fans, Makes First TV Appearance Wearing Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 2:05pm On Feb 23, 2013
eagle,eye:

No. But that does not justify us taking sides with the principal because it happened elsewhere in the North.
good, but i didn't take sides though(from my comment)
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by deols(f): 2:05pm On Feb 23, 2013
jamst: this incident was a kind of cruel & hatred dat i experienced 4rm 1 christian bus driver dat deliberately want 2 hit me wit his vehicle last month ago.and wit dis similar treatment of dis girl,which shows deep hatred the christian av 4 muslims...the time is coming,where there is going 2 be a religious conflict btw muslims & christian.(peace2all)

I pray for no such thing.

do u want it to happen?
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by eagleeye2: 2:16pm On Feb 23, 2013
babyosisi:

There is no sane person anywhere ,a school principal for that matter that will flog a 12 year old 43 strokes for wearing a hijab in a public school when there is no rule banning a hijab.

I don't believe the girl was flogged for wearing a hijab and certainly not 43 strokes,she would be dead or laying critically injured somewhere

Have you ever considered that the 43 strokes of cane may have been on the Hand (22 on each hand, stoping at 43, just one more stroke shy of completing it).

I will not argue if it were because she wore a Hijab, but I definitely will argue that 43 or 44 strokes of the cane as punishment is very possible. That you have not witnessed it, does not remove the fact that it is possible.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by deols(f): 2:17pm On Feb 23, 2013
babyosisi:

Thank you
They will kill their own flesh and blood for not being virgins and will jump up and down on stories like this
Ask them how their Koran teachers and parents flog them silly when they fail to recite it properly
I can almost bet that this story is a huge lie
There is no sane person anywhere ,a school principal for that matter that will flog a 12 year old 43 strokes for wearing a hijab in a public school when there is no rule banning a hijab.
Somebody should have snapped a picture or recorded the act for youtube,we read that this was done in the assembly
Nobody had a camera phone in the whole school?

We saw clips of the police murder suspected Boko haram members in cold blood and nobody captured a scene in this brutal beating

I don't believe the girl was flogged for wearing a hijab and certainly not 43 strokes,she would be dead or laying critically injured somewhere

what if it is true? would it be right for the teacher to beat her for wearing hijab?
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 2:20pm On Feb 23, 2013
Alumnus:

I believe this story is highly exagerated.
1. Public schools close by 2pm on week days and 1 pm on friday. How possible is it then for a Principal to see a student wearing Hijab by 4pm (after school hour)and Cane her 42 times?

2. Which emergency assembly will a school call by 4pm?

But if this story is true, the Principal got got it wrong because there could have been a better way to punish her. Let's also not forget that Hijab is not a school uniform and if such is allowed then the essence of wearing school uniform is defeated.

Thank you again
I thought so too
Are nigerian kids in school by 4PM?

The complaint we are reading here in tInubu's newspaper came from the a mulsim students association and not one of them could capture this brutality on tape in this general assembly?
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Sike(m): 2:21pm On Feb 23, 2013
In my own opinion, that Principal, Mrs Ukpaka or whatever should be laid down flat on the ground and give her triple of lashes she gave that poor girl. What Nunsence!! sad

2 Likes

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by angeldaniels(f): 2:22pm On Feb 23, 2013
I feel the principal sud be sacked.43 strokes of cane for what?N̶̲̥̅̊Õ̳͡ mata wat d girl is to smal to reciv 43 strocks of cane.she even wore it outside d school.the principal is heartless.she acted like she is not a mother,wat if the girl had died in d proccess?abeg the woman need to collect 500 strocks if that small girl if collect 43.I A̶̲̥̅♏ very sure she can't even stand 5.really its pure wickedness
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 2:25pm On Feb 23, 2013
deols:

what if it is true? would it be right for the teacher to beat her for wearing hijab?

Most certainly not!
If it is true she ought to be kicked out of the school but I don't believe the story is true for the reasons in my earlier posts.

1 Like

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by deols(f): 2:33pm On Feb 23, 2013
babyosisi: Maybe the girl was even caught giving a Mouth Action to someone
Who knows
I believe she did something wrong and it wasn't her hijab and certainly did not receive 43 strokes
The truth will be out I believe

why do u keep talking as if u were there?

even if mouthaction should she be flogged like that?

You are a kniwn christian bigot and that you want to twist the story os nothing new.

btw, u av bn heard. give room for other people to show how much they diss-agree
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Richy4(m): 2:33pm On Feb 23, 2013
eagle,eye:

you may or may not believe it, but for the fact that I have been a victim of such inhumane treatment at a very tender age (14years,) I would equally not have believed it.

I do not really know what you went through but I am sorry. I do not know your gander but I guess were a boy when it happened. We are talking about a girl, 12 year old Kid.I did not read where she was hospitalized or being treated form the injury she got from the flogging. I would have said the principal was cruel for flogging a 12year old 10 strokes. but 43? I really have to struggle hard to digest the story.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by ghyxzo: 2:33pm On Feb 23, 2013
[quote author=siddiq202]12year-old given 43 strokes of cane over hijab

…MSSN calls for suspension of erring principal

Twelve-year–old and a JSS 1 student of Kadara Junior Grammar School, Ebute Metta, Lagos, Aisha Alabi was recently subjected to very horrible and inhuman treatment by the School Principal, Mrs. E.C Ukpaka, because she used hijab.

The Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria (MSSN) Lagos State Area Unit in a press release signed by its PRO, Sulaimon Alamutu, therefore called the at hmm 4kano or sum northerner part of d contry muslim or not hijap is composuary
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 2:34pm On Feb 23, 2013
siddiq202:
which code of dressing stop the girl from using hijab after wearing her uniform ma'am? Didn't the constitution give room for the poor girl to practice her religion everywhere even in the school premises?
@Siddiq am not saying what d pripal, did was right,but for ur quastion if d constitution give d girl room or nt, it depend on the school rules. for example their are schools girls are prohabited from making their heairs or finger nails that is what

they should fine out first before conclusion.For me i would love it if they should stop floging
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 2:38pm On Feb 23, 2013
“Our findings show that Aisha wore the Hijab outside the class in the school compound when she was seen by Mrs. Ukpaka who immediately called an emergency assembly and allegedly ordered her to be beaten. The students at the assembly, we learnt, counted no less than 43 strokes of cane landing on the hapless little girl’s body!

The assembly was called at 4 PM ( Lagos schools close at 2PM we read from someone)
Mrs Ukpaka called an emergency assembly so students and teachers were present 2 hours after school had dismissed?
Mrs Ukpaka ordered her to be beaten meaning someone else was ordered to beat her,,so who did the beating?
The individual has no name?
I believe this is a witchunt on a school principal and nothing more
The story doesn't add up

4 Likes

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by eagleeye2: 2:40pm On Feb 23, 2013
Richy.:

I do not really know what you went through but I am sorry. I do not know your gander but I guess were a boy when it happened. We are talking about a girl, 12 year old Kid.I did not read where she was hospitalized or being treated form the injury she got from the flogging. I would have said the principal was cruel for flogging a 12year old 10 strokes. but 43? I really have to struggle hard to digest the story.

I am Male (boy).
The punishment was supposed to be 24 strokes of the cane at the buttocks, but I vehemently refused.
So the Senior insisted that he was going to flog me 48 strokes of the cane. 24 on each of my hands.
He has already completed 24 on of my hands and it was swollen, yet he continued to the other hand untill he got to 18.
All these while his fellow class mates were begging him, untill one them has to forcefully take the cane from him.

There are people who are very mean, believe it or not but it will not change that fact.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by eagleeye2: 2:44pm On Feb 23, 2013
babyosisi:

Thank you again
I thought so too
Are nigerian kids in school by 4PM?

The complaint we are reading here in tInubu's newspaper came from the a mulsim students association and not one of them could capture this brutality on tape in this general assembly?

Do you have younger ones in Secondary school, public or private.
If you do, you would have noticed that the examination classes do normally stay back for extra tutorials. And it is not unheard of, that some students do stay back in school for private lessons.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 2:45pm On Feb 23, 2013
deols: flogging.

first, it is child abuse.
Gbam only u understand me.if u try that here in Germany,u end up im jail.that has to stop we are in 21century. the person they are floging is now cow. they are many ways to punish child like give he/her more home work that will keep him/her busy all day without going out to play with his mate.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by kalunomics(m): 2:47pm On Feb 23, 2013
please ignore my ignorance.lol... What is hijab?(too lazy to google)
And reasoning like an officer, i think the story is cooked. Big time!
But if true, that woman should be made to face the full wrath of the law
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 2:48pm On Feb 23, 2013
eagle,eye:

Do you have younger ones in Secondary school, public or private.
If you do, you would have noticed that the examination classes do normally stay back for extra tutorials. And it is not unheard of, that some students do stay back in school for private lessons.

The girl is in JSS 1 and the event supposedly occurred on Feb 3
So what exam are we talking about here for a JSS 1 student in February?
Could she have been in school hanging around with JSS 3 students and got punished for being where she ought not and someone weaves a tale to make it sweet?
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by ckkris: 2:50pm On Feb 23, 2013
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by ckkris: 2:54pm On Feb 23, 2013
babyosisi:

Could she have been in school hanging around with JSS 3 students and got punished for being where she ought not and someone weaves a tale to make it sweet?

Deola,

What is your reaction to this?
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by sino(m): 2:57pm On Feb 23, 2013
babyosisi:

The assembly was called at 4 PM ( Lagos schools close at 2PM we read from someone)
Mrs Ukpaka called an emergency assembly so students and teachers were present 2 hours after school had dismissed?
Mrs Ukpaka ordered her to be beaten meaning someone else was ordered to beat her,,so who did the beating?
The individual has no name?
I believe this is a witchunt on a school principal and nothing more
The story doesn't add up
Mr man, lagos public schools close later than 2pm(unless its been reversed). Students were either engaged in extra lessons or reading. most public school students in my area return home 4 or 5pm.
The principal was the mastermind behind the flogging, she and the person that carried out this heinous crime should be dealt with accordingly.
and please save us your rhetorics, we know how your heart is filled with hatred towards Islam. what is wrong is wrong, the principal here did something very bad.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by eagleeye2: 2:59pm On Feb 23, 2013
babyosisi:

I said it is not unheard of that other students in other classes do stay back for private lessons. Maybe I should have added that, students do loiter about in schools after school hours. This includes PRIMARY SCHOOL PUPILS.

I work with the ministry of education and we normally go on routine inspection. Sometimes, you hardly differentiate between boarders and Day students these days.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 3:01pm On Feb 23, 2013
The principal's action was outrageous now, Haba!.But then people should learn to obey the rules in their environment.If you can't obey rules then...... take a walk!
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Goldenskin: 3:05pm On Feb 23, 2013
LagosShia: 1 Corinthians 11:6

"If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head".

This flows from verse 5 which Ɣ☺u omitted

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered

However, 43 strokes of the cane for anyone is wicked and barbaric.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by pendy79: 3:06pm On Feb 23, 2013
naptu2: This is one of the reasons I admired Dr Tai Solarin.

In the 1970s and '80s there was controversy over "morning assembly" in public schools. Non christians were made to pray in the christian way and non muslims were also made to pray in the muslim way at morning assembly.

Solarin was an atheist. He did not believe in God. However, at his school, Mayflower Ikenne, he established the "quiet hour". During the quiet hour, christians could go to a corner and pray in the christian way, muslims could go to a corner and pray in the muslim way and those who do not believe in God could quietly read their books.

Bros it is silent hour not quiet hour and it is not for religious purpose. Silent hour is a private and personal reading period in the evenings after dinner. We never had any religious time out at Mayflower School. @ post the wave of islamaphobic tendencies in the western media is being brought home by peeps especially Easterners. Pls all Muslims are not Hausa/fulanis. I work in the south south and I witness the discrimination even at work. It is high time the Lagos State Government call all non indigenes head of institutions in lagos that we are a multi religious state. You can never have a yoruba heading a public secondary/primary school in any place in the south south or south east. I am a Muslim and infact a proud one.

1 Like

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by jimlat: 3:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
in my own opinion i think thn MSSN as a corporate body has the right to sue the principal in question and demand for justice. let others take que from this inhuman act. muslims and nonmuslims, we own this country together. i was a principal in a school where jehovah witness students dont sing the national anthem do we force them to a school of their own or ban them from the pulic ones

1 Like

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by mbhs139(m): 3:13pm On Feb 23, 2013
naptu2: This is one of the reasons I admired Dr Tai Solarin.

In the 1970s and '80s there was controversy over "morning assembly" in public schools. Non christians were made to pray in the christian way and non muslims were also made to pray in the muslim way at morning assembly.

Solarin was an atheist. He did not believe in God. However, at his school, Mayflower Ikenne, he established the "quiet hour". During the quiet hour, christians could go to a corner and pray in the christian way, muslims could go to a corner and pray in the muslim way and those who do not believe in God could quietly read their books.

things have really changed my brother.

I could remember in those days, Mondays-Wednesdays were for christian prayers on the assembly ground while Thursdays and Fridays are for Muslims.

Believe me, you will even see Christians who recite suratul'fatiha better than some Muslims. I could remember a class mate, Usoro Umoh, who recites the Quranic verses (the popular and short ones) perfectly, just because he partakes in it on the assembly ground.

There was no BH, JAMBS, CAN and their likes during this time. As a matter of fact, I will first go to the Christian fellowship on Fridays, with my Christian friends, because they will share buscuit and sweet, before we all then go for Jumah service. I doubt if such can happen again in Nigeira
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 3:17pm On Feb 23, 2013
pendy79:

Bros it is silent hour not quiet hour and it is not for religious purpose. Silent hour is a private and personal reading period in the evenings after dinner. We never had any religious time out at Mayflower School. @ post the wave of islamaphobic tendencies in the western media is being brought home by peeps especially Easterners. Pls all Muslims are not Hausa/fulanis. I work in the south south and I witness the discrimination even at work. It is high time the Lagos State Government call all non indigenes head of institutions in lagos that we are a multi religious state. You can never have a yoruba heading a public secondary/primary school in any place in the south south or south east. I am a Muslim and infact a proud one.

This is why I hate Nigerian tv stations. Dr Solarin said, in an interview I watched on LTV 8 in the 1980s, that he established the quiet hour so that those who want to pray in the christian way can do so, those who want to pray in the muslim way can do so and those who do not believe in God can read their books. The interview was aired around the time of the controversy about morning assembly in public schools. Jubril Aminu was minister at the time.

How I wish it was possible to post a youtube link to the interview.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Ngwakwe: 3:22pm On Feb 23, 2013
pendy79:
ou can never have a yoruba heading a public secondary/primary school in any place in the south south or south east. I am a Muslim and infact a proud one.

Who told you that the woman is not a Yoruba married to Igbo man

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Honor Killing, Jungle Justice...not ISLAMIC! / Indonesia Steamrolls 18,000 Bottles Of Alcohol During Ramadan (photos) / Solatul Fatih....right Or Wrong To Recite?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.