Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,687 members, 7,813,276 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class - Islam for Muslims (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class (28552 Views)

What Stops You From Wearing The Hijab? / Why Are Muslim Students Still Wearing Hijab To School (see Pics) / French Rapper Stuns Fans, Makes First TV Appearance Wearing Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by vedaxcool(m): 5:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
The thread should rightly read principal beat girl for dressing like mary!

2 Likes

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by petition: 5:07pm On Feb 23, 2013
i cant imagine a 12 yr old being given 43 strokes of cane. I dont think that woman has a child, even if the little girl has violated any law, two wrongs do not make a right. I'm of the opinion that the case shud be thoroughly investigated and if found guilty, the principal shud be punished to serve as an example for others.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by eagleeye2: 5:16pm On Feb 23, 2013
vedaxcool: The thread should rightly read principal beat girl for dressing like mary!

To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam/Christainity.

Moderator please take note.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Worldlife: 5:18pm On Feb 23, 2013
vedaxcool: The thread should rightly read principal beat girl for dressing like mary!
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 23, 2013
"To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam." Is that a threat or what? Why are Muslims always bent on using force on people?

Yes, that is very wrong of what the Islamic school did to the little girl. That girl is being treated bad out of religion injustice in that country. It is an imported religion to control the people, which we just saw in the little girl's case.

The laws of the land supersede those of religion. That is, the Nigerian Constitution. If the laws grant the girl the right to what she did then she is right about it and the religion is wrong.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by obitrac: 5:28pm On Feb 23, 2013
fellis: This thread would have been filled with a lot of insults and hate speech if it was a Muslim school principal that flogged a christian 43 times maybe for wearing a rosary.
Good thing Islam teaches civility in actions and in speech.
definately it wouldn't be a surprise bc d adherers of islam are generally known for their intolerance
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by deols(f): 5:34pm On Feb 23, 2013
obitrac: definately it wouldn't be a surprise bc d adherers of islam are generally known for their intolerance

see how much intolerance you just showed as well?

interesting.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by 4xit(m): 5:36pm On Feb 23, 2013
It is so annoying and barbaric dat a supposedly learned individual could act this way, I just hope d law take it course and dis evil woman is brought to book
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by amerielpepper(f): 5:40pm On Feb 23, 2013
I feel bad for what the principal did, 1) she's a woman and probably a mother, the beating was brutal and the matter should be taken up and treated with out the sentiments of religion, cos it could have been the reverse. Also the little girl should be taken for psychological check up. Also schools have a dress code that must be adhered to,
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 5:52pm On Feb 23, 2013
So the principal gave a twelve year old 43 strokes of cane and she is still alive? Not even hospitalized?
Cock and Bull story!
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Nobody: 6:04pm On Feb 23, 2013
The beginning of the end of the school uniform.
If this happens, girls will then be able to wear whatever slutty attire they so wish to school like they do in other parts of the world, causing serious problems for boys in their pubertic years grin
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Cityguy: 6:09pm On Feb 23, 2013
Hmmm. Read thru all posts like someone going thru a good, entertaining novel. If one is nt careful, one could come to mistakenly conclude that religion is a curse to man, given fanatical tendencies and proclivity of those who claim to know God more than He probably could claim to know them. To my mind though, I see just two things fuelling this; complex and fear. I am here to preach love, respect and trust. We need to get to a point where we relate with one another in most areas of our live, probably for a start, nt based on ethnic or religious affiliations. It is then we would be able to make progress as a people.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by maclatunji: 6:11pm On Feb 23, 2013
KenGali: So the principal gave a twelve year old 43 strokes of cane and she is still alive? Not even hospitalized?
Cock and Bull story!

I actually watched my classmates receive 100 strokes of the cane in primary school.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Idowuogbo(f): 6:16pm On Feb 23, 2013
maclatunji:

I actually watched my classmates receive 100 strokes of the cane in primary school.
100 strokes ke? Oniro Oshi! D teacher na ehonda? undecided
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by obitrac: 6:33pm On Feb 23, 2013
The muslim students should be allowed to wear hijabs to sec schools cos I don't see how it will affect non muslims but there should be a dress code for dat that will not permit facial or total covering with long gowns. but I don't think its appropriate for specialize schools like health institutions,military schools as dis may affect performances.mind u am a liberal Christian with an unbiased mind
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by firedaman1(m): 6:34pm On Feb 23, 2013
43 strokes and the girl is still conscious and not even hospitalized. This story is highly over rated. As an adult, try receiving just 20 strokes and see if u'll sit with ur yansh for one week. Before we pass judgement on the principal for flogging that girl, we all need to hear both sides of the story.
Just Luke my dad(of blessed memory) always say, "a tiny snake seen by only one person is most times described to be as big as an anaconda".

1 Like

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by MicroBox: 6:41pm On Feb 23, 2013
Abeg let her come and try that rubbish in kano, even if she pricipal st. Thomas or st. Luis dem no born her well, i dont know why xtians hate muslims so much.
I dont blame her, i blame muslim leaders.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by infolekan(m): 6:43pm On Feb 23, 2013
Don't see any reason why a child of that age should be flogged for whatever reason.
We're talking about a 12 year old child here not an 18 or 26 year old man. The best would have been to send the child back home & tell her to call her parents.
What's the childs fault in the whole saga when its obvious that its the parents that will most likely dress for her. I'm a Christian but that's taking intolerance to a whole new level.
The issue of the schools rule should not even come up here....suspension or someething like that is acceptable than floggin when its not even a criminal offence & in an underage at that

1 Like

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by hussainahlami(f): 6:43pm On Feb 23, 2013
Hi madam/mr
Back in d days, were nt allowed 2 put on rings,neckless etc in d sch,bt do u knw dat catholics r alowed 2 put on dat ring of deir nd rosery.are dey nt breaking da rules?
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by hadbak: 6:44pm On Feb 23, 2013
Mr.chippychappy:
Finally a brave principal takes a stand against this Hijab rubbish
so u called this act of wickedness n intolerance bravery. Haters!!!
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 6:46pm On Feb 23, 2013
To the issue of wearing hijab.

1) If I remember correctly, it was a big issue in the mid 1980s. Government at the time decided to allow students to wear the hijab in public schools, so long as the hijab is the same colour as the school uniform.

2) A school of health technology in Lagos banned its students from wearing the hijab. Some students went to court and the court ruled that the ban infringed on the rights of the students as enshrined in the constitution.

Remember that any law in Nigeria that is inconsistent with the provisions of the constitution is null and void to the extent of its inconsistency. Therefore, no school regulation supersedes the constitution

Since then, there have been many such cases, eg nurses who want to wear the hijab, etc and they've all been resolved in favour of the personnel wearing the hijab.

There have been many rumours that the Fashola Administration wants to ban wearing of the hijab in schools. This has never been confirmed by the government.

1 Like

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Sissie(f): 6:47pm On Feb 23, 2013
This is a sad case, and has a muslim female, I know my experiences with the hijab, people generally have no respect for other peoples religion, the Nigerian institutional system doesn't help matters, when I was in NYSC camp, the christian lady assistant camp director called out one of my friends in public and told her to untie her veil, (which was white colour) and use the cap that was provided, she refused, the lady threatened decamping my friend. The camp director had to intervene. I had similar experience when I went for clearance. My whole point is, hijab for the Muslim female is compulsory evn thou we don't all adhere to it, but telling people to behave like Romans when in Rome, and I should remove my hijab or the girl in question should remove her hijab is just wrong, you can't tell someone to remove their cloths in public, just the same way you can't tell me to remove my hijab just to conform with the norm. we really need to learn to be civil with each other, considering the fact that Muslims are passionate bout their religion, I won't tell a Hindu man to eat cow meat when he comes to Nigeria just because i eat cow meat. Besides their should be law against flogging children more than 5 strokes of cane irrespective of the crime in schools.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Sissie(f): 6:49pm On Feb 23, 2013
firedaman1: 43 strokes and the girl is still conscious and not even hospitalized. This story is highly over rated. As an adult, try receiving just 20 strokes and see if u'll sit with ur yansh for one week. Before we pass judgement on the principal for flogging that girl, we all need to hear both sides of the story.
Just Luke my dad(of blessed memory) always say, "a tiny snake seen by only one person is most times described to be as big as an anaconda".
I was once flogged 40 strokes of cane, and it was 2 mouth koboko when I was in JS1, I attended a boarding school. So don't say it can't happen, it happened to me.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by vedaxcool(m): 6:57pm On Feb 23, 2013
all4naija: [i]"To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam." Is that a threat or what?

Seun: The notice was proposed by Christian moderators to prevent Christians and Atheists from getting themselves banned when Muslim threads make the home page. I felt it was a fantastic idea and I implemented it as soon as I could. Now if you get banned in the Muslim section, you will have no one to blame but yourself. wink

www.nairaland.com/1195636/story-behind-avoid-getting-banned
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by probsolver: 7:01pm On Feb 23, 2013
This issue will be a fight to finish. I trust MSSN lagos area unit just wait and see. Anybody that knows Mrs upaka or apaka anytin she call herself shd tell her to be ready to face wrath of Allah unless she seek forgiveness publicly and from the little poor aisha. This is just too much.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by eagleeye2: 7:03pm On Feb 23, 2013
Sissie:
I was once flogged 40 strokes of cane, and it was 2 mouth koboko when I was in JS1, I attended a boarding school. So don't say it can't happen, it happened to me.

They will rather not believe it because it has never happened to them.
I gave up arguing in this thread. Wrong is Wrong and there is no justification for wrong, just accept it. But people posting in this thread will rather be myopic.

1 Like

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 7:16pm On Feb 23, 2013
Sissie: This is a sad case, and has a muslim female, I know my experiences with the hijab, people generally have no respect for other peoples religion, the Nigerian institutional system doesn't help matters, when I was in NYSC camp, the christian lady assistant camp director called out one of my friends in public and told her to untie her veil, (which was white colour) and use the cap that was provided, she refused, the lady threatened decamping my friend. The camp director had to intervene. I had similar experience when I went for clearance. My whole point is, hijab for the Muslim female is compulsory evn thou we don't all adhere to it, but telling people to behave like Romans when in Rome, and I should remove my hijab or the girl in question should remove her hijab is just wrong, you can't tell someone to remove their cloths in public, just the same way you can't tell me to remove my hijab just to conform with the norm. we really need to learn to be civil with each other, considering the fact that Muslims are passionate bout their religion, I won't tell a Hindu man to eat cow meat when he comes to Nigeria just because i eat cow meat. Besides their should be law against flogging children more than 5 strokes of cane irrespective of the crime in schools.

The criminal code in Lagos (passed circa 2011) makes flogging illegal (not even one stroke and not even from parents).
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by Saladin1: 7:26pm On Feb 23, 2013
Muslims in the southwest are been oppressed despite our superior population. Female students in public schools in the North are given the liberty to dress in an Islamic way without imposing it on non muslims. The colonial dress code we inherited only conform with the christians values while our values as muslim are neglected. For the sake of peace and unity among the adherents of our two religions government and school administrators should allow female muslim students who wants to cover up in piety (hijab) to exercise their religion freedom without been molested. HIJAB is part of religious worship not a fashion statement.

1 Like

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by KingsleyCEO: 7:27pm On Feb 23, 2013
Since when did flogging became child abuse in Africa culture?
It was this same flogging that kept me and some of you here in check anyway... On the long run, even if the principal was the devil herself, I'm of the opinion that she wouldn't flog a little girl 43 time. Let forget the sentiments along with religion.

Just thinking aloud anyway.

2 Likes

Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 7:46pm On Feb 23, 2013
I hope the anti-spam bot doesn't ban me. I'm going to quote some posts from nairaland.
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 7:49pm On Feb 23, 2013
[size=14pt]Lagos House Of Assembly Moves To Ban Flogging Of Children - Family - Nairaland[/size]

shadrach77:
Lagos Parents May Go To Jail For Flogging Their Children
print print

Author: Date: Jul 7th, 2010. | Category: Metro, News. | Follow comments: RSS 2.0. | You can leave a response below. |

If the Criminal Law Bill currently being deliberated by the Lagos State House of Assembly sails through, then many parents in the state would face various prison terms for beating up their kids.

The bill has prescribed prison terms for various offences including the beating or flogging of children by their parents.

The bill also sees the maltreatment of animals as a criminal offence while the culprits are liable to imprisonment.

It also seeks to legalise abortion but this is limited to incidents of rape and incest.

This was made known at a public hearing on the bill for a law to enact rules on criminal conduct, regulate public order and for other connected purposes with the title: “The Criminal Law of Lagos State 2010”.

The bill, if passed into law, would also promote an orderly society, foster collective obligation and duty towards the preservation and protection of life and property.

It would also discourage and deal with conducts that unjustifiably and inexcusably inflict or threaten substantial harm to individual or public interests.

The bill also seeks to look at persons whose conducts indicate that they are disposed to commit offences.

The bill which is divided into nine parts, 48 chapters and 414 sections, classifies offences into three types namely: felony, misdemeanours and simple offences.

Section eight of the bill defines felony as “any offence which is declared by law to be a felony, or is punishable, without proof of previous conviction with death or with imprisonment for three years or more.

“All offences, other than felonies and misdemeanours are simple offences.”

However, some Lagosians who attended the public hearing advocated for the abolishment of capital punishment, life imprisonment, and called for the legalisation of abortion in cases of incest, rape, HIV/AIDS and other unusual circumstances.

According to them, the maximum prison sentence for offenders should be put at 20 years since criminals could be reformed and make meaningful contribution to the society after serving their prison terms.

Professor Adedokun Adeyemi of the University of Lagos, while commenting on the issue said, “death penalty does not affect the rate of criminality and Lagos in the 21st century should not adopt it.”

—Eromosele Ebhomele
https://www.nairaland.com/475181/lagos-house-assembly-moves-ban
Re: 12-year-old Caned For Wearing Hijab Out Of Class by naptu2: 7:52pm On Feb 23, 2013
[size=14pt]Lagos State Outlaws Flogging Of Students & Apprentices. - Education - Nairaland[/size]

DGI-PLUS:
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52597:bravo-to-lagos-over-childrens-rights&catid=67:you-report-lagos&Itemid=583

THANKS to the recent legislation passed in Lagos State by the administration of Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola SAN, the caning, beating or physical torture of school students, and of workplace apprentices, has been outlawed entirely, and declared both illegal and criminally culpable throughout that state. This recognition accorded the basic human rights of Lagos State’s children, by Governor Fashola, is, without question, one of the most constructive, progressive and profoundly humanitarian initiatives ever set forth into law by any Nigerian elected leader, since the nation’s 1960 independence.

A simple internet search yields an abundance of thoroughly documented medical evidence, which unambiguously links the “punitive” beating of human beings to very severe and permanently debilitating injuries that range from blindness-inducing eye damage, to life-long paralysis of the legs, possible from SINGLE blunt-force cane impacts to the sciatic nerve, which runs close to the spine in the lower back, just beneath the skin. A research paper recently published by the Department of Ophthalmology, at the College of Health Sciences in Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife, cited a four-year study which concluded that an astonishing 30.3% of all eye injuries, presented at that hospital alone, by children aged between 5 and 15 years old, were DIRECTLY attributed to caning or whipping attacks that went horribly wrong, either in schools or at home.

From a purely medical standpoint, there is NO safe area of the human body suitable for assault with a stick or other blunt-force weapon. Just as easily as a cane-strike to the lower back carries the potential to inflict lifetime lower limb paralysis on the victim, an errant stick, whip or belt-buckle impact to the wrist is equally liable to fracture, deform or displace the delicate wrist carpal bones that articulate within very tight tolerances, thus degrading forever the wrist’s flexibility and range of motion. Caning the hands of a student, such that permanent bone injury and loss of flexibility to the hands results, would effectively END whatever aspirations the victim may have held of becoming a surgeon later in life. The disastrous effects of losing one’s sight or mobility to a caning incident would be no less life-destroying, and require no elaboration.

The injurious psychological effects, of exposing children to physical brutality in the name of discipline, can last a lifetime, but do also manifest behaviorally in the short term, as illustrated by the extremely high prevalence of school-yard bullying of juniors by senior students, whose own corporal punishment and physical torture by school authority figures imparts a misconception of normalcy to the use of violence as a tool to gain “respect” and the illusion of compliance. In nearby Ghana, by way of comparison, where all forms of corporal punishment have been outlawed for decades, school-yard bullying is virtually non-existent, while a very high level of orderliness and discipline is maintained in Ghanaian secondary schools, without any recourse to violence by school authorities. Unsurprisingly, the Ghanaian education system remains one of the best in Africa today, producing highly proficient graduates who are in great demand globally.

Governor Fashola’s administration has boldly righted a festering injustice that has for decades been perpetrated against Nigerian children enrolled in schools nationwide, as well as in places of trade apprenticeship. Once again, Governor Fashola lives up to his billing as a leader far ahead of his time, now by endorsing the imperative to safeguard the BASIC human rights of Nigeria’s most important citizens – her children. For the betterment of Nigerian youth enrolled in schools and workplaces across the entire federation, the stellar, inspirational example just set by Governor Fashola is one well worthy of emulation, as it stands to swiftly transform Nigeria’s primary and secondary educational systems for the infinitely better.

Striking any adult person with a stick or other weapon constitutes a violent criminal offence statutorily classified as Felony Assault and Battery, for which jail sentences can be imposed after a fair trial, under Nigerian law. On the unassailable premise that schools exist to prepare students for life as productive, civilized and peaceful citizens of law-abiding societies, that fundamental prohibition of violence against adults must be extended to govern all conduct towards children within schools and workplaces throughout any nation that embraces human rights for human beings of every age demographic.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Honor Killing, Jungle Justice...not ISLAMIC! / Indonesia Steamrolls 18,000 Bottles Of Alcohol During Ramadan (photos) / Solatul Fatih....right Or Wrong To Recite?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.