Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,434 members, 7,823,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality (42455 Views)

Buhari Appoints Tax Chief With Fraudulent Degree - The FCT Post / Typical Nigerian Mentality / Nigerian Mentality: "Husband, Wife And Donkey" Comic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Olaone1: 1:10am On Mar 06, 2013
it is a common practice worldwide, even in sane societies let alone Nigeria. Keep telling us you didn't get a legup undecided

Even in the UK, it is rife:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1126498/RYAN-SHORTHOUSE-Heres-liberal-elite-help-poor-climb-social-ladder--stop-giving-plum-jobs-friends-children.html
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Olaone1: 1:11am On Mar 06, 2013
coogar:

but that's the reality......
to even know there are vacancies in some companies involved a super duper networking of friends. not everybody gets to hear chevron is recruiting or mobil is recruiting. thank heavens for internet and mobile phones, things are a bit better but you still need to know someone to get by.

how do you know for sure they got it on merit and nothing else was involved? it's not like they would tell you what they did here and there as most of these things are done under secrecy.

i agree - it would be unfair to say people don't get hired on merit alone in nigeria but far majority don't get in by merit. something somewhere must have act as a catalyst!
GBAM
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Olaone1: 1:15am On Mar 06, 2013
Did Alison Madueke get her job (SHELL) on merit?
Hmmmm, I thought Shell was special. No legup undecided

In its social mobility white paper the Government admits that access to certain careers can be 'frustrated by traditional cultures, established recruitment processes and inflexible career pathways.' Let’s spell it out: the best jobs, hidden away from graduate milkrounds and advertisements in the Guardian, are usually secured through daddy’s contacts. No chance for the son of a worker at the local factory, is there?

Internships are really the only other way into professions such as politics, media and the Bar. But young people from modest backgrounds can’t afford to live away from the parental nest on no pay

It’s time to get to the heart of the problem. Many of the journalists, lawyers, bankers and politicians who form the metropolitan elite are supporting the careers of their own children, thereby excluding others from joining what is becoming an impenetrable circle of success.

Sure, says the journalist to the MP, I’ll offer your daughter a position on this paper, knowing full well that his political anorak of a son will stand a better chance of being a MP’s researcher when he finally graduates. All very nice.

An interview shouldn’t be an empty gesture, just to show you are going through the ropes, with a friend of a friend’s son selected weeks ago.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1126498/RYAN-SHORTHOUSE-Heres-liberal-elite-help-poor-climb-social-ladder--stop-giving-plum-jobs-friends-children.html#ixzz2MiKLODw3

No! They are saying it is different in Nigeria. A country where you can buy WAEC questions from Okada guys undecided
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Olaone1: 1:26am On Mar 06, 2013
The way some people talk about MNCs on this forum, one would think these MNCs're owned by spirits, not human beings.

Bottom line: work hard, guys, but it is better to be highly connected.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 3:11am On Mar 06, 2013
Ola one: I have noticed something about Nairalanders: anytime I see a thread like this, the commenters always claim they got their job on merit.

As if they are not in Nigeria. Even in houses of God in Nigeria, it is very hard for anyone to become a leading minister without help.

Haba! Liars! angry

grin grin grin grin

Una no dey sleep? I feel u bro
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by kabaka1: 3:32am On Mar 06, 2013
Slant77: Yea, it's quite easy to just accept that "there are no good jobs out there", but the thing is it depend on you.

If you're good and you groom yourself (speak good english, dress for the job you want, LEARN BASIC INTERVIEW SKILLS (this one is very very important) and have the right attitude), the jobs are there. wink

I've seen people (that I knew before "hammering" & still know) who had no connections and did not school abroad, who have gotten good jobs. grin

If you've got yourself a foreign degree, good for you. One good advice - drop the accent , it pisses interviewers off . Every interviewer wants to be sure in his/her mind that you can fit in (and work well in teams made of poeple - who are Nigerians living in Nigeria)

I completely agree with n particularly 4 the accent thing, d interviewer go se laugh n mock at him in his mind just 4 that reason which will eventually limit his chance of getting d job
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by braveheart2012(m): 5:39am On Mar 06, 2013
The sad reality I don't see reflected on this thread is that the very best Nigerians with foreign degrees are not trying to come back to Nigeria to accept stupid jobs that pay 10 million a year. The MNCs know this well and that's why they treat the Nigerians that apply to their companies like crap.

I am lucky to know many really brilliant Nigerians that left to study in the US on scholarships. They are still here in the US doing really well and working for top US companies. You can say many bad things about US companies but one thing you can't say is that they don't respect merit and a sharp mind. You might have to work harder than your white colleague with similar qualifications and smarts, but you will still make it if you work hard and have something rare and valuable to contribute. Go check out all the New York investment banks, white-shoe law firms, consulting firms and F500 companies! They have Nigeria's best and brightest. I am not exaggerating. Those people aren't looking to go back home anytime soon except to accept roles as Directors, CEOs and GMs.

My undergrad and grad education, combined, cost ~$300,000 (thankfully, my parents only paid for about ~$100k of that and the rest came through scholarships). I have no plans to return to Nigeria and then deal with the horror stories I have heard from friends and read on this thread. Just last week, the SVP for my company's Africa operations personally invited to meet with the Africa leadership team that he had flown to the the US to meet our executives, hoping that the meeting would convince me to transfer to his team and be the country manager for Nigeria. I politely declined. Nigeria is mostly rubbish and I would rather be sad and lonely in another man's country than go plug myself into a system that demands and requires corruption and mediocrity for success (at least not if I have a choice). I have worked too hard and invested too much in my human capital to go squander it in a vast burial ground of talent and progress.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Jarus(m): 6:48am On Mar 06, 2013
Ola one: it is a common practice worldwide, even in sane societies let alone Nigeria. Keep telling us you didn't get a legup undecided

Even in the UK, it is rife:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1126498/RYAN-SHORTHOUSE-Heres-liberal-elite-help-poor-climb-social-ladder--stop-giving-plum-jobs-friends-children.html

So it is common practice worldwide that 90% of jobs are on man-know-man?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 6:50am On Mar 06, 2013
coogar:

but that's the reality......
to even know there are vacancies in some companies involved a super duper networking of friends. not everybody gets to hear chevron is recruiting or mobil is recruiting. thank heavens for internet and mobile phones, things are a bit better but you still need to know someone to get by.

how do you know for sure they got it on merit and nothing else was involved? it's not like they would tell you what they did here and there as most of these things are done under secrecy.

i agree - it would be unfair to say people don't get hired on merit alone in nigeria but far majority don't get in by merit. something somewhere must have act as a catalyst!
Really, you can choose to believe what you want. A lot of times, nigerian graduates console themselves after many unsuccessful trials by singing the popular anthem - 'you must know people to get jobs in Nigeria'. And in my sojourn into the labour market and out of it, I have found that to be false.
But I will only advise fresh graduates not to have that 'no merit' mentality cos it will affect their disposition towards the labour market. Soon they will fail various tests (and interview) and come to Nairaland to whine about not knowing anybody. Most graduates still get good jobs on merit. Know that cos it is true! Cheers!!
NB. It is an unjustifiable and unfair lie to say you have to be an insider to know when Mobil or Chevron recruits. It's even worse when you say you have to 'know someone to get by'. Don't spread falsehood based on ignorance. Always talk about what you are sure of.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Olaone1: 7:45am On Mar 06, 2013
Jarus:

So it is common practice worldwide that 90% of jobs are on man-know-man?
It isn't 90% in the UK, I'm sure. But, I can't vouch for Nigeria.

In the UK, children of the rich and powerful go for top jobs only. Nick Clegg is an example. He said this about his first job.
But, in Nigeria, you need to bribe one way or the other to get hired at any level. Even in your primary school in Offa, I'm sure most teachers there lobbied one way or the other to get in.

Look at it this way, Jarus, you spent about 3 years at Oando, yet you were powerful enough to get a friend in. Now, assuming you sticked with the same company for 20 years, I'm sure you would be powerful enough to recruit your beloved "great Ife" (you dont miss any thread about OAU on NL grin) graduates without any tests. grin.

What is the main essence of LinkedIn? What actually does "networking" mean? Why do we say Oxbridge, Harvard graduates get the best jobs through alumni this or that.
They don't have to write the tests for you. Shortlisting you alone represents a leg-up, trust me.

Also, and I'm not joking here, we must be careful of OAU graduates in Nigeria. They have this camaraderie, this oneness about them. And, they have a way of shortlisting their uni graduates and getting them in wherever they are. They do it regularly. Isn't that a leg up?

But people must accept one thing and stop whining: life isn't fair. So, get on with it.

Cheers
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by naptu2: 8:02am On Mar 06, 2013
This reminds me of Kwaku Sintim-Misa's one man play, "The saga of a returnee" (the returnee who was going to teach Africans the proper way of doing things).

It also reminds me of sala theory in a prismatic society (as opposed to the universality theory).

And lastly, it reminds me of the Unilag cameraman who started with just an old camera and a tripod and became a millionaire.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Vavavoom(m): 8:13am On Mar 06, 2013
ANY-PEN :
We all remember GEJ saying these words "i don't give a damn" in an interview sometimes last year. A lot of Nigerians must have digested those words but they are too complex for me to digest so am breaking them down to these ones for easy digestion.

WHEN LEADERS 'DON'T GIVE A DAMN'

Right before our eyes, gas freely flare
while they sit in glass houses making budgets for fuel
right under their noses bridges partly fell
while they allocate money for old private jets

they eat away time like lions feeding on flesh
claiming it is better being slow than to fall for fear
whereas the fret of a fall is being comfortable just standing there...
while the world moves swiftly with the speed of a launched rocket

our streets harbor crimes everyday of the year...
yet their beds grow succulent from the loot of our collective wealth.
their cheeks and bellies firmly keeps up a lofty swell...
pushing suits and 'Agbada' buttons to their very edge

is this what happens when leaders don't "bloody care"?
bloodshed everyday like the world is coming to an end?
build security in every corner of their own marbled fence?
and leave out masses to live here next to hell?

homicide, suicide, genocide reigns everywhere
malaria still kill most on this part of the earth
and toothpick breaks less often than an adult's leg
it is them that see it that can truly tell

rainfall should give daily bread but it takes it instead
sunshine should dry our crops but it saps our daily sweat
oil should make us rich but it make us poor instead
one now wonders if it is a curse to be richly blessed

no work for the arms full of strength
no thought for the brain full of ideas
yet they claim to be running well a government...
the type that tags their own few friends

THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS WHEN LEADERS DON'T GIVE A DAMN.
Fabulous man, bravo.

Nigeria stays on mind,
lingering hope that something gives
that we all wake tomorrow,
unchained from this stagnating strife
be reborn - free from listlessness
tribal shackles, and the slug of elitism

I read comments here,
I fear for my daughter...
she's only a child,
born in this era of nepotism
when a name goes before character,
has she any chance?
in this space where demerit is uplifted,
I fear.

But hoping is not enough,
neither comfort would fear bring
I must teach her courage,
the value of building self in this season of anomy
to have faith in the work of her hand,
and influence the gift that is tomorrow

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Vavavoom(m): 8:13am On Mar 06, 2013
ANY-PEN :
We all remember GEJ saying these words "i don't give a damn" in an interview sometimes last year. A lot of Nigerians must have digested those words but they are too complex for me to digest so am breaking them down to these ones for easy digestion.

WHEN LEADERS 'DON'T GIVE A DAMN'

Right before our eyes, gas freely flare
while they sit in glass houses making budgets for fuel
right under their noses bridges partly fell
while they allocate money for old private jets

they eat away time like lions feeding on flesh
claiming it is better being slow than to fall for fear
whereas the fret of a fall is being comfortable just standing there...
while the world moves swiftly with the speed of a launched rocket

our streets harbor crimes everyday of the year...
yet their beds grow succulent from the loot of our collective wealth.
their cheeks and bellies firmly keeps up a lofty swell...
pushing suits and 'Agbada' buttons to their very edge

is this what happens when leaders don't "bloody care"?
bloodshed everyday like the world is coming to an end?
build security in every corner of their own marbled fence?
and leave out masses to live here next to hell?

homicide, suicide, genocide reigns everywhere
malaria still kill most on this part of the earth
and toothpick breaks less often than an adult's leg
it is them that see it that can truly tell

rainfall should give daily bread but it takes it instead
sunshine should dry our crops but it saps our daily sweat
oil should make us rich but it make us poor instead
one now wonders if it is a curse to be richly blessed

no work for the arms full of strength
no thought for the brain full of ideas
yet they claim to be running well a government...
the type that tags their own few friends

THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS WHEN LEADERS DON'T GIVE A DAMN.
Fabulous man, bravo.

Nigeria stays on mind,
lingering hope that something gives
that we all wake tomorrow,
unchained from this stagnating strife
be reborn - free from listlessness
tribal shackles, and the slug of elitism

I read comments here,
I fear for my daughter...
she's only a child,
born in this era of nepotism
when a name goes before character,
has she any chance?
in this space where demerit is uplifted,
I fear.

But hoping is not enough,
neither comfort would fear bring
I must teach her courage,
the value of building self in this season of anomy
to have faith in the work of her hand,
and influence the gift that is tomorrow

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 8:22am On Mar 06, 2013
But Nigeria is not that bad at all.

Graduates all over the world are finding it hard.

Just start a biz and everything will be alright.

Start a business. Don't invest in something that will go obsolete like cyber cafe etc..

Invest in a necessity for now. When you have more money, branch out but don't break out. Continue what you were doing + something else. Don't ever stop growing. Just keep looking for what will sell, dream about it, think about it. It's better if you can travel in and out. You will make more money than those that keep to Nigeria or keep USA.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Jarus(m): 8:35am On Mar 06, 2013
Ola one:

I have never said it doesn't exist. That would be denying the obvious. But I have decided to see the cup as half-full. I don't believe it is 90% in Nigeria, even in public sector. Rotten and nepotic as NNPC is, a friend got a job there ( which he rejected for his current Oando). This is a friend that lived under same roof with me. Definitely, not one one that can bribe because he doesn't have the resources, at least when the NNPC recruitment started. But he is a brilliant dude.

I have seen too many cases of people that got good jobs without any connection or man-know-man for me to believe merit is still not up to 50% in Nigeria. I just can't believe. Too many examples I know.

But, in Nigeria, you need to bribe one way or the other to get hired at any level. Even in your primary school in Offa, I'm sure most teachers there lobbied one way or the other to get in.

I'm just imagining who they bribed. Definitely not the school proprietress (a multi-millionaire) for a N20,000 per month teaching job, recruitment for which she supervised herself. Just wondering if the entire lifetime salaries of the teacher will be enough to bribe my toughie primary school owner.

Look at it this way, Jarus, you spent about 3 years at Oando, yet you were powerful enough to get a friend in. Now, assuming you sticked with the same company for 20 years, I'm sure you would be powerful enough to recruit your beloved "great Ife" (you dont miss any thread about OAU on NL ) graduates without any tests. .

What is the main essence of LinkedIn? What actually does "networking" mean? Why do we say Oxbridge, Harvard graduates get the best jobs through alumni this or that.
They don't have to write the tests for you. Shortlisting you alone represents a leg-up, trust me.

The lack of merit being talked of in this thread is that of bribing, senator writing notes, exams leaking, sex-for-job etc. I don't have any problem with networking. Networking is fair part of the game to me. I have recommended friends for 'shortlist' in organizations and they got called up for test (because they have good CVs, not because they were my friends. If they didn't have good CVs or didn't meet the employers' criteria, my recommendation wouldn't have helped. Some got the jobs, some didn't, because they couldn't scale the selection process (tests and interviews). That to me, is fair. They went through the standard selection process.

Ability to network (without any unholy means) and keep good friends is itself part of being smart. Good network gives you access to helpful information. For resource-saving reasons, some organizations may not advertise some positions (and it is not a crime not to advertise) and may rely on internal recommendations. For my friend that got Oando job, I only sent his CV to HR (you don't expect an Oando to advertise NYSC position) and they found his CV good enough, called him for test alongside other guys whose CVs they got and he was among the 4 0r 5 taken at the end, because of his performance in test. That was his first contact with the company, but later got permanent position after NYSC because he scaled another round of interviews for permanent position.

I don't have any problem with networking. Linkedin was helpful to me too in getting my current job. That is networking. Networking crosses the line of merit when shady practices begin to come in. If I announce on this thread that my company needs a qualified accountant and drop an email address for guys to drop CV to, or even specifically PM one person I have observed from discussions here as likely capable of doing the job, that is networking (we all got to know one another through this thread).

And with or without network, you can still get job in Nigeria.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by benlay(m): 8:43am On Mar 06, 2013
There are different sides to this issue nevertheless, experience is key, no employer wants to hire you simply because you have a foreign degree, if they hire without an experience, you might use that experience to get a better offer and you will 'abandon' them, that's the way most of these employers see it.
Gaining some experience in your chosen career is key, also making all efforts to secure a job before moving to Nigeria would be a smart thing to do, my friend got a job right after graduating from Scotland in Petroleum Engineering Mgt.-Masters. He was just sending out his CV and got that email/call, he worked for two years now he has his own biz.
Most of the time graduates in STEM seem to be hired more quickly than others, everyone can not be a STEM graduate though.
Vision does not end with whoever starts it, it goes on for decades, Awolowo died in 1987 and people still claim to be Awoist, why? because of his vision and philosophies, this generation is a waste, Nigeria is not blessed with leaders, only with thieves and corrupt people in power, there is no hope in this country called Nigeria until we go separate ways. Everything is a race in Nigeria, we're all competing subconsciously or even directly
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Emperoh(m): 8:57am On Mar 06, 2013
Ola One,

It will be totally incorrect to assume that networking is about bribing and contacting with a Senator or sleeping with an Alhaji to get an NNPC of ministry job.

I am against nepotism as far as it concerns doing some corrupt actions to get hired for a job you most certainly are not qualified for.

Regardless of how you get a job, it is only how good you are that keeps you in it. No serious minded organisation will employ and keep anyone who isn't adding to the bottom line of the organisation through his/her area of expertise or whatever you are hired for.

The idea of getting a job through you network is never bad. You know someone, that's as far as it can get sometimes. You need to prove to the interview panel how your presence can add to the bottom-line and how your activities can help it grow. If you can't ace an interview, how has the network helped?

Some contacts go as far as ensuring you scale through all the hurdles but eventually, if you were prodded in, you will be lifted our in due course.

But i still maintain, a high percentage of Private sector jobs are on merit!!!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Emperoh(m): 9:01am On Mar 06, 2013
Jarus:
The lack of merit being talked of in this thread is that of bribing, senator writing notes, exams leaking etc. I don't have any problem with networking. Networking is fair part of the game to me. I have recommended friends for 'shortlist' in organizations and they got called up for test (because they have good CVs, not because they were my friends. If they didn't have good CVs or didn't meet the employers' criteria, my recommendation wouldn't have helped. Some got the jobs, some didn't, because they couldn't scale the selection process (tests and interviews). That to me, is fair. They went through the standard selection process.

Ability to network (without any unholy means) and keep good friends is itself part of being smart. Good network gives you access to helpful information. For resource-saving reasons, some organizations may not advertise some positions (and it is not a crime not to advertise) and may rely on internal recommendations. For my friend that got Oando job, I only sent his CV to HR (you don't expect an Oando to advertise NYSC position) and they found his CV good enough, called him for test alongside other guys whose CVs they got and he was among the 4 0r 5 taken at the end, because of his performance in test. That was his first contact with the company, but later got permanent position after NYSC because he scaled another round of interviews for permanent position.

I don't have any problem with networking. Linkedin was helpful to me too in getting my current job. That is networking. Networking crosses the line of merit when shady practices begin to come in. And with or without network, you can still get job in Nigeria.

Why is it hard for people to get this?
It is not Foreign degrees that get you a job. It is how good you are.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Olaone1: 9:16am On Mar 06, 2013
Jarus:

I'm just imagining who they bribed. Definitely not the school proprietress (a multi-millionaire) for a N20,000 per month teaching job, recruitment for which she supervised herself. Just wondering if the entire lifetime salaries of the teacher will be enough to bribe my toughie primary school owner.

Sorry, I meant govt-owned school. I thought you're an ajepako like me who attended public school.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Jarus(m): 9:19am On Mar 06, 2013
Ola one:
Sorry, I meant govt-owned school. I thought you're an ajepako like me who attended public school.

Lol. If you had used secondary school, yes
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Olaone1: 9:22am On Mar 06, 2013
Emperoh: Ola One,

It will be totally incorrect to assume that networking is about bribing and contacting with a Senator or sleeping with an Alhaji to get an NNPC of ministry job.

I am against nepotism as far as it concerns doing some corrupt actions to get hired for a job you most certainly are not qualified for.

Regardless of how you get a job, it is only how good you are that keeps you in it. No serious minded organisation will employ and keep anyone who isn't adding to the bottom line of the organisation through his/her area of expertise or whatever you are hired for.

The idea of getting a job through you network is never bad. You know someone, that's as far as it can get sometimes. You need to prove to the interview panel how your presence can add to the bottom-line and how your activities can help it grow. If you can't ace an interview, how has the network helped?

Some contacts go as far as ensuring you scale through all the hurdles but eventually, if you were prodded in, you will be lifted our in due course.

But i still maintain, a high percentage of Private sector jobs are on merit!!!
Well, maybe you're right. All I know is life is not fair. It has never been. That is the way it is.
Hardwork still pays but connection makes things easier. My 2 cent
Cheers.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by goldbearer: 9:39am On Mar 06, 2013
Hmmm.. sorry dude welcome to the club.First stop believing in Nigeria and believe more in ability to withstand challenges. I finished from Newcastle University (Msc Applied Process Control 2009) ,came back home with all high hopes but till date i'm still applying and now doing just anything to make ends meet (Over 7M naira spent for the masters ..........). However on personal opinion don't travel for Masters abroad without meaningful work experience. Do more with professional trainings.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by debosky(m): 10:16am On Mar 06, 2013
Reality check for all involved - there is nepotism/cronyism etc. involved in getting jobs in Nigeria, but most are ignoring the underlying issue: insufficient jobs.

Insufficient job opportunities is what drives the majority of those that go to seek degrees abroad - the jobs are few and you think getting (better?) additional qualifications will put you in a better position to get the few jobs available.

As some have mentioned, if the volume of jobs available was comparable to the number of job seekers, then you wouldn't need as much an emphasis on connections/foreign degrees to secure most jobs in the first place.

I know each person wants to have that fantastic job, but then what? What happens to the thousands that didn't make it?

Something needs to change - by engaging with the political process to ensure the massive job creation potential in government is harnessed for the benefit of ordinary Nigerians, and for the creation of an enabling environment for businesses to thrive.

Those who are 'comfortable' in private enterprise cannot continue to say 'I'm ok so don't need to get involved in politics/government'. We complain about 'wrong people' in power - if you right people don't rise up and try to get there, you think the 'wrong people' will simply do right?

If these things don't happen, the problem is simply going to get worse - with a young population, the number of graduates being produced will only increase; more and more people are getting foreign degrees so that number will only increase as well.

We all can't work for MNCs or IOCs, neither can we all start businesses (though some can, and they should). We need those among us with the experience/connections/resources to come together create more opportunities for us young ones to get started.

I hope my big brothers like Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Rhino, Dayokanu, etc. are listening.

All the best in your job search.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nitrogen(m): 10:19am On Mar 06, 2013
One thing that I believe is that spending millions of naira to get a foreign 'pali' in a useless foreign university and not a top notch one is completely an unwise one. You will still come back and join the league of freshies of local universities looking for entry level jobs, especially when you ship yourself out without a single work experience.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AjanleKoko: 10:32am On Mar 06, 2013
Ola one:

In the UK, children of the rich and powerful go for top jobs only. Nick Clegg is an example. He said this about his first job.

Look at it this way, Jarus, you spent about 3 years at Oando, yet you were powerful enough to get a friend in. Now, assuming you sticked with the same company for 20 years, I'm sure you would be powerful enough to recruit your beloved "great Ife" (you dont miss any thread about OAU on NL grin) graduates without any tests. grin.

Also, and I'm not joking here, we must be careful of OAU graduates in Nigeria. They have this camaraderie, this oneness about them. And, they have a way of shortlisting their uni graduates and getting them in wherever they are. They do it regularly. Isn't that a leg up?

But people must accept one thing and stop whining: life isn't fair. So, get on with it.

Cheers

Bolded is the point. wink
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 06, 2013
nitrogen: One thing that I believe is that spending millions of naira to get a foreign 'pali' in a useless foreign university and not a top notch one is completely an unwise one. You will still come back and join the league of freshies of local universities looking for entry level jobs, especially when you ship yourself out without a single work experience.
Even those that finished from top notch universities in UK are finding it hard to break into the multinationals. I know many with intimidating credentials still trying. Some even flunk the aptitude tests. It is not really about how good your degrees are. It is not about connection. It is about how good YOU are, and how well you can present yourself during interviews. Of course, you can't rule out God's favour.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by mbaemeka(m): 10:40am On Mar 06, 2013
I concur with Debosky, Jarus, Olaone , Coogar etc. I do not see light in X-fire. He to me, is almost sounding guilty and naïve. What's the fuss about MNC's helping family members get in? Do you expect me for example, to be in a reputable position, aware of the paucity of Jobs in the country and having a brother with say a 2'1 trying to get a job and I would turn a blind eye? Certainly not!

That is the nepotism at the fore. Please don't tell us that it doesn't exist because 'you know people who got it without any help'. For every one story you have to back your case I can give you atleast 3 to counter it. Its not being defeatist or pessissmistic-its the reality on ground. The cold, hard one. Sometime last year a somewhat similar topic was being discussed concerning the NNPC recruitment. Do you believe there were some Nigerians that swore tooth and nail that 'no form of nepotism' goes on during such recruitments. When I butted in to give an account of my cousin that didn't even apply or write the preliminary test they started calling me a liar, fraud etc. This is NNPC we are talking about oh?

That's why I don't get surprised when people defend MNC's saying 'nepostism' doesn't thrive there. Its at best comical. Shey SHELL has a policy that prohibits married couples from working for them? I know a family (man and wife with kids) that had to change their surnames so that they can still work there. How they were able to do it only God knows. But I got the information from another lady whose husband works with Total and wanted to help get a job there. When she refused he sited this other couple to make his case. I am not here to rat them out. This is Nigeria!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 10:46am On Mar 06, 2013
Jarus:

Great post, only lowpoint being you were a little harsh on foreign-trained in the bolded.

Can we start discussion on the 'role of networking/informal recommendations/poaching' side by side in this thread? That's another interesting subject I enjoy discussing.
Unfortunately its the truth. I have discovered that not all UK universities are schools. Take for example, pple studying hr in university of salford only spend 3 weeks in class and the remaining 7 weeks doing nothing.Biko, which kain school be that. What about naija students in woverhampton who pay their colleagues to write essays for them?.Those ones too will come back and complain of their inability to get jobs.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by wonlasewonimi: 10:53am On Mar 06, 2013
honey86:
Unfortunately its the truth. I have discovered that not all UK universities are schools. Take for example, pple studying hr in university of salford only spend 3 weeks in class and the remaining 7 weeks doing nothing.Biko, which kain school be that. [b]What about naija students in woverhampton who pay their colleagues to write essays for them?.[/b]Those ones too will come back and complain of their inability to get jobs.

Most students do it in UK as well.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nitrogen(m): 11:01am On Mar 06, 2013
honey86:
Unfortunately its the truth. I have discovered that not all UK universities are schools. Take for example, pple studying hr in university of salford only spend 3 weeks in class and the remaining 7 weeks doing nothing.Biko, which kain school be that. What about naija students in woverhampton who pay their colleagues to write essays for them?.Those ones too will come back and complain of their inability to get jobs.
Exactly!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by 2CatWoman: 11:04am On Mar 06, 2013
debosky: Reality check for all involved - there is nepotism/cronyism etc. involved in getting jobs in Nigeria, but most are ignoring the underlying issue: insufficient jobs.

Insufficient job opportunities is what drives the majority of those that go to seek degrees abroad - the jobs are few and you think getting (better?) additional qualifications will put you in a better position to get the few jobs available.

As some have mentioned, if the volume of jobs available was comparable to the number of job seekers, then you wouldn't need as much an emphasis on connections/foreign degrees to secure most jobs in the first place.

I know each person wants to have that fantastic job, but then what? What happens to the thousands that didn't make it?

Something needs to change - by engaging with the political process to ensure the massive job creation potential in government is harnessed for the benefit of ordinary Nigerians, and for the creation of an enabling environment for businesses to thrive.

Those who are 'comfortable' in private enterprise cannot continue to say 'I'm ok so don't need to get involved in politics/government'. We complain about 'wrong people' in power - if you right people don't rise up and try to get there, you think the 'wrong people' will simply do right?

If these things don't happen, the problem is simply going to get worse - with a young population, the number of graduates being produced will only increase; more and more people are getting foreign degrees so that number will only increase as well.

[b]We all can't work for MNCs or IOCs, neither can we all start businesses (though some can, and they should). We need those among us with the experience/connections/resources to come together create more opportunities for us young ones to get started.

[/b]I hope my big brothers like Ajanlekoko, Jarus, Rhino, Dayokanu, etc. are listening.

All the best in your job search.

+ 1000

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply)

Ihedioha Reacts To Supreme Court Judgment Declaring Uzodinma Winner / Photos Of President Buhari In Bamako, Mali / Jonathan & Wife, Patience Hit The Gym (Photos)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.