Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,042 members, 7,810,855 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality (42403 Views)

Buhari Appoints Tax Chief With Fraudulent Degree - The FCT Post / Typical Nigerian Mentality / Nigerian Mentality: "Husband, Wife And Donkey" Comic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 2:51pm On Mar 06, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

LWKMD! You guys want to turn this thread to AY LIVE show?
In the US they called it "LOBBYING" grin grin.

i like that word - lobbying!
in a nutshell, jarus and ajanlekoko are lobbyists after telling us they got to their pinnacle of achievement through their hard work and end to end burning of candles. no wonder ajanlekoko is always visiting bars pretending to watch barcelona. grin cheesy

20% football talks, 80% legging up talks! grin

Jarus:
So research should end on what is available in public space? No need applying one's sense to put into use whatever one gets from the public space? That is what makes the difference. If A and B have same information (or can access same information) and B works further with his information to get better result, it is wrong?

it's not wrong in principle.
however, it depends on the information you got while exploring deeper. the crux of the matter is you have an advantage over the bookworm who sat a home cramming or practising psychometrics.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AjanleKoko: 2:55pm On Mar 06, 2013
debosky:

I agree for the most part - the problem is, with competition so high, if you as an employer can get the 'high quality' Caltech grad and pay them the same amount as the KSU one, you'd probably go for higher quality at no additional cost to you.

Most definitely. The issue is, how do you gain that experience? That 'first step' is often the most crucial - many think/hope a foreign degree helps them make that first step.

Well . . . hard to say no additional cost. Which is the point of this whole topic. There's no point to employing a graduate with high expectations into a low-level job that doesn't even require one to be a graduate. Same issue I had with Dangote and the 'graduate driver' scheme. You have to look at the long term. An overqualified person is one foot out the door already.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 2:58pm On Mar 06, 2013
coogar:

i like that word - lobbying!
in a nutshell, jarus and ajanlekoko are lobbyists after telling us they got to their pinnacle of achievement through their hard work and end to end burning of candles. no wonder ajanlekoko is always visiting bars pretending to watch barcelona. grin cheesy

it's not wrong in principle.
however, it depends on the information you got while exploring deeper. the crux of the matter is you have an advantage over the bookworm who sat a home cramming or practising psychometrics.
Is sex- or bribe-for-job right in principle?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Afam4eva(m): 3:00pm On Mar 06, 2013
I think people's IQ should be used for placements into non-technical jobs. All these university certificates are rubbish imo. These days i don't see the difference between the so-called graduates and high school graduates.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 3:06pm On Mar 06, 2013
Afam4eva: I think people's IQ should be used for placements into non-technical jobs. All these university certificates are rubbish imo. These days i don't see the difference between the so-called graduates and high school graduates.

thank you!
some high school graduates would best most university graduates in oral/written skills and in the application of deductive reasoning. the certificate-worshipping got us to where we are currently.

Jarus:
Is sex- or bribe-for-job right in principle?

it's right in principle as long as both parties are happy with the transaction. pay in cash or pay in kind. if the seller and the buyer are comfortable with the arrangement then it's happy days!

is it unfair to the other job-seekers? of course it is and so is meeting up a professional to give you tips.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by GboyegaD(m): 3:08pm On Mar 06, 2013
In as much as I agree there are jobs based on merit mainly at entry level because I had offers in the past without knowing anyone, we cannot deny that the percentage of those who get in on merit compared to those who have connections is just so low. For experienced positions, it is more of who you know because most firms rarely advertises their experienced openings. Therefore, to those chanting many people get in on merit, it is either you are just trying to paint a situation that doesn't exist to justify your post on you are ignorant of happenings in our society.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 06, 2013
Afam4eva: I think people's IQ should be used for placements into non-technical jobs. All these university certificates are rubbish imo. These days i don't see the difference between the so-called graduates and high school graduates.

Partly agreed, but I won't dismiss certificates just like that.

Question is, how do you measure the IQ, especially when you have a large pool of applicants? Definitely, 'testing the IQ' of all of them costs you a chunk of resources. So in a way, the way to prune down to cost-effective size is to look at past records, usually summarized in certificates and few other things. You then begin to subject them to your own test of intelligence/capability (tests, interviews etc) where they are expected to prove their worth/defend their certificates. You can see it is difficult to throw away certs just like that.

In most cases, your certs only get you shortlisted. If a first class or a Caltech grad doesn't perform well in test/interview, I'm not sure his certificate can help him.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nitrogen(m): 3:15pm On Mar 06, 2013
Jarus:
But there is what is called for karma for one that gets there through unholy means. I don't believe the end justifies the means. The means is equally important.

You really did stick a pin in my ass here, cos my darling football club just had her own share of the karma thing yesterday, a real pain in the asss.

Meanwhile, nothing is wrong with networking/legging up/lobbying/connection/padi-padi things, so far it is not the unholy type, and the main is to do things that are morally accepted in the society no matter the circumstance or situation around. We shouldn't be a fan of egoism.

As for Nitrogen, it is like this:

1. Go to a top notch school if you want to get a pali outside the shores of Naija.

2. Network people, it is quite important because it will reduce the stress and time to get a nice job.

3. Those up there, do well to help others too so they can get to the top, it is necessary.

4. Lastly, be the best you can intelligently/intellectually, because normally, networking should only help recommend you, you will need to write tests, go through various processes (due process) so you can be the best for the job.

Nb: I think big guys and top notch guys are those in the thread, so they do not need those thrash up there (except number 3, which I believe they always do), it is for 'them' starters like us.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 3:23pm On Mar 06, 2013
@ nitrogen,

going to a top notch school is the real koko.......
the reason most parents fork millions of naira sending their wards to expensive schools is because they want their kids to interact with the other kids. there are no 2 ways about it. corona will not teach students better than ISL so why pay such exorbitant fees @ corona?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 3:23pm On Mar 06, 2013
nitrogen:

You really did stick a pin in my ass here, cos my darling football club just had her own share of the karma thing yesterday, a real pain in the asss.

Meanwhile, nothing is wrong with networking/legging up/lobbying/connection/padi-padi things, so far it is not the unholy type, and the main is to do things that are morally accepted in the society no matter the circumstance or situation around. We shouldn't be a fan of egoism.

As for Nitrogen, it is like this:

1. Go to a top notch school if you want to get a pali outside the shores of Naija.

2. Network people, it is quite important because it will reduce the stress and time to get a nice job.

3. Those up there, do well to help others too so they can get to the top, it is necessary.

4. Lastly, be the best you can intelligently/intellectually, because normally, networking should only help recommend you, you will need to write tests, go through various processes (due process) so you can be the best for the job.

Nb: I think big guys and top notch guys are those in the thread, so they do not need those thrash up there (except number 3, which I believe they always do), it is for 'them' starters like us.
Good take-away from the thread. Good luck bro.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 3:58pm On Mar 06, 2013
Good stance mods. I thought only my comment would be hidden because he's the OP
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Emperoh(m): 4:12pm On Mar 06, 2013
Ok. . . . . .i think we have convincingly thrashed the topic.
From joke, e don reach e-fight!

I stuck to the thread cos of the quality of comments and the people commenting. There was no e-fighting when i came in
E don start. . . . guess it's time to check out
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by ow11(m): 5:26pm On Mar 06, 2013
Life is not fair. Lobbyists pointing a finger at those that do the so called un-ethical means are being unfair to some extent. Heck, even those raised in good homes with access to good teachers that learnt to write proper application letters have an advantage over those who do not.

The motto should be try to get it/in within the limits of your own moral code. This moral code is created by you alone and should guide you through out your life so you do not lose yourself. Many people use religion to create theirs others use societal pressures or just make it up. Whatever it is, do what you can to land that job and do not point fingers at those that do not do so following YOUR OWN moral code!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by dayokanu(m): 5:57pm On Mar 06, 2013
debosky: Unilag vs Caltech might not be a good comparison, more like Kogi State Uni vs Caltech. Tell me honestly - wouldn't that sway your decision as a employer? cheesy

O ti ya were

Why are you "hin-salting" my alma mater. Na UNILAG vs CALTECH jare
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 6:17pm On Mar 06, 2013

You must be crazy.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Afam4eva(m): 6:20pm On Mar 06, 2013
ROSSIKE:

You must be crazy.

Is that all you have to say? I was actually expecting that you would counter my argument. SMH.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by sixteen08(m): 6:24pm On Mar 06, 2013
Changed ma mind
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nitrogen(m): 6:33pm On Mar 06, 2013
sixteen08: Changed ma mind
What jare? Oga mi
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by sixteen08(m): 6:59pm On Mar 06, 2013
Bros I don jabo b4 so I gots change ma mind n retrace ma steps cheesy
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 7:23pm On Mar 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
Is that all you have to say? I was actually expecting that you would counter my argument. SMH.

Where does one start countering such a foolish statement as ''there is no difference between a graduate and a high school certificate holder''?

I mean, did you actually graduate from a university? Let's start from there.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Olaone1: 7:51pm On Mar 06, 2013
coogar:

ajanlekoko is always visiting bars pretending to watch barcelona. grin cheesy

He's always in Spain; like bi-monthly grin.

He has an office there, well, probably. tongue tongue

What happens in Spain Catalonia stays in Spain Catalonia cheesy
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nitrogen(m): 8:03pm On Mar 06, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Where does one start countering such a foolish statement as ''there is no difference between a graduate and a high school certificate holder''?

grin grin grin grin

People dey vex o!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by asha80(m): 8:07pm On Mar 06, 2013
ROSSIKE:

i think he meant lots of nigerian graduates these days from NIGERIAN universities.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Afam4eva(m): 8:28pm On Mar 06, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Of course the difference between a university and a high school graduate is the certificate. But Nigerian graduates(not all) nowadays are not really special. That's what i want you to counter.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by sixteen08(m): 8:43pm On Mar 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
Of course the difference between a university and a high school graduate is the certificate. But Nigerian graduates(not all) nowadays are not really special. That's what i want you to counter.

I tink u'll nid 2 rephrase ur arguments so as not 2 get misconstrued cos i can't help but tell u ur conversation is gettin silly.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 9:13pm On Mar 06, 2013
It is ridiculous and highly preposterous that anyone can suggest that secondary school leavers can do typical professional jobs that graduates do. It smacks of naively and a simple mind. You think if that is possible in this capitalist world of ours, companies would bother to employ graduates to pay them a lot of money? And for someone saying someone job is to check pressure and temperature, I'm sorry to say but there's no such job in the oil industry. Do you even think collecting temperature and pressure is the end itself? what is that data used for? For operators that monitor processes, this is not even up to a tenth of what their job entails. And these are operators o, OND qualified folks. That person since he is even already a graduate should tell me what he would do if he suspects that his well has a leaking tubing. Or has been told to design a transient test on an exploration well. Or what he needs and how he will go about conducting a reservoir simulation exercise.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by zubbainno123: 10:28pm On Mar 06, 2013
Following
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by boneruns(m): 5:17am On Mar 07, 2013
I used to have this negative mindset that getting jobs in Nigeria is "man-know-man", and really, it delayed my getting a job after NYSC. It took several encouragements and determination to erase that conception, though, I still believe it exist.

Last year, major recruitments carried by banks were mostly merit based. I was lucky to be employed by one of these banks , and I can vouch that the recruitment was 99% on merit. Most of us there had no contact with any top executive. Though somehow, we exchanged pre-test and pre-interview ideas on a forum like this; i don't see it as getting an undue advantage over someone else; it's a computer age, everyone has to make proper research before test/interview.

To me, it boils down on what you believe.

And for someone comparing a Graduate to a High school holder, it's quite a silly thing to say.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (20) (Reply)

Federal Lawmakers From Abia Visit Orji Kalu Following Release / Lauretta Onochie: How Nnamdi Kanu Will Be Dealt With By Due Process / Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.