Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality (42473 Views)

Buhari Appoints Tax Chief With Fraudulent Degree - The FCT Post / Typical Nigerian Mentality / Nigerian Mentality: "Husband, Wife And Donkey" Comic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AjanleKoko: 3:27pm On Mar 05, 2013
Jarus:

WTF, now this is annoying. angry angry

Each bank has between 10-15 GMs. Are you saying all of them know the bank owners?

I know people who are GMs in banks today, whose career I followed very well.
Now, don't let me name names. Got a brother that is a DGM in a bank that starts with S, our family no sabi anybody. This is somebody whose career I followed from secondary school. Very brilliant and ambitious dude. Know guys that are GM or DGM in Access, etc.

I'm not ruling out politics outright, but it is most ridiculous to say you can't become a GM or even ED without being family/relative of owner.

And why would a bank throw a GM out because he is living comfortably? Even banks take pride in their guys being 'good looking' (not necessarily ostentatious) - a plus to their brand. I don't work and have never worked in a bank but I don't expect a GM to earn less than N30m per annum. For someone that must have worked for at least 15 years before rising to become a GM and currently earning N30m/pa (not to talk of access to loans etc), you think he won't live comfortably?

Jarus, you get power sha. undecided
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by vislabraye(m): 3:30pm On Mar 05, 2013
That's Naija for you. But I think your course of study matters too. Just imagine having a 1st class in Engineering from a top school in UK.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 3:36pm On Mar 05, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I tire embarassed
So it is improbable for these people to have all been recruited on merit? undecided

I can go down and tell you when, who and what happened. Lemme leave the name calling for now.

Note:
I have personally benefited with the pady pady arrangee employment thing and am not ashame to say it here, cos that's the truth.
Though, I got 3 more jobs within a span of 2 weeks.

The sad part of everything is, some guys did wrote the aptitude test for the vacancy and were interviewed for the position I was given like "gala" , they were told to wait for 2 weeks only for them to be substituted with us. Does that made me less qualify for the job? NO!!!!!. I went for 2 two training processes in France and bested every other person that came for that same training. . .to cut the long story short, I got another offer with the company that came to train us less than a month into the training

I can still remember how the instructor kept persuading me to return to Europe for the job, he even offered my family members educational grants i.e. BRIBED my popsy, mumsy and my other siblings with cash in form of educational support.

I won't climb moral horse and start "posing" like baba fryo. I'll always say the truth. I no holy passssss!!!

Exxon Mobil recruitment is a piled of wet shiit. The questions for the aptitude test is given out to selected few weeks before the examination date. Quote me anywhere on this!. Infact, you don't even need to write the shl/skill test to be invited for interviews and selection class. I'M A LIVING PROOF!!!

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Philolos: 3:39pm On Mar 05, 2013
Mr. John Chikadibie Okafor, what degree(s) did you bag abroad? You appear to write well. Did you by any chance pick up Marketing or Sales skills during your time abroad? Because regardless of your study, having some marketing/sells skills would have been an icing on the cake for you or anyone for that matter. You need to continuously sell yourself. I know your Nigerian experience sounds humbling but take some ownership. Don't blame the friends and contacts that made promises to you, blame yourself for believing them. Let me ask you an honest question, did you really return to Nigeria because you were made promises or because you had to contend with visa issues abroad? If you ask me, a year in Nigeria without paid employment is a day too long; you should have headed back out of the country if you had the opportunity.

This is my take: majority of Nigerians that study abroad mostly stay abroad. Nigerian professionals including non-degree holders that are doing exceptionally well abroad don't venture to come back to look for paid employment in Nigeria. God forbid. For example, what percentage of Nigerian doctors with work experience in the UK, US, Jamaica, etc., come back to look for work in Nigeria? I'm sure very few – a minority. Likewise, don't sell yourself short; there is a difference between a foreign degree and a local degree holder. The fact that we use mostly the same textbooks doesn't make us the same. That also shouldn’t automatically translate to an employer’s preference of a locally acquired degree. If on a good day a local degree holder interviews well or better than the individual with a foreign degree so be it. Employment should be based strictly on merit. Even the Obama or David Cameron administrations can’t claim this. So needless to say, it’s wishful thinking. It happens everywhere you look around the world. It is only glaring in Nigeria, because the playing field is small and opportunities are far and few between.

That said, if you know how to sell, your unemployment days are numbered. It involves being creative and developing a thick skin for rejections. But at the end of the day, it is a numbers game. You have to know your own number. For you, it may be 100 rejections and for someone else it may be two rejections before they make their sell. Keep on keeping on my friend. When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Chao kachifo o-da-bo

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by sogah: 3:41pm On Mar 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

From my personal experience, u don't need to know anyone to get an exxonmobil job.

Just know your stuffs, Gbam!

Is [bBleep[/b] not the name of the guy from ATBU? He had previous experience as TOTAL trainee, NO?. . .It seems you always have a way of watering down the real situation on ground.

What I know for sure is 80% fresh jobs in MNC's is based on arrangee and who you know. At least I know Exxon Mobil, Shell and Agip like back of my hand. I know like a dozen of guys that got jobs in the aforementioned without without writing job test. Worst of it is Agip that don't consider test as a criteria, all you have to know is one ashawo that is phocking Italian, you start work the next day.

Exxon is another scam. At Exxon Mobil, All you have to do is to know either Fami Dada, Asuquo or Mr. Oluwole. T.

Shell?? Yeah, where people get recruited without attending interviews? Or where 90% of SITP trainees are recruited based on insiders standing for them?

NNPC or Dpr is equally is not merit since is quota system based. The only room left is for one to get experience in the field and how do you do that, if entry level selection is fraud?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by sogah: 3:41pm On Mar 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

From my personal experience, u don't need to know anyone to get an exxonmobil job.

Just know your stuffs, Gbam!

Is [bBleep[/b] not the name of the guy from ATBU? He had previous experience as TOTAL trainee, NO?. . .It seems you always have a way of watering down the real situation on ground.

What I know for sure is 80% fresh jobs in MNC's is based on arrangee and who you know. At least I know Exxon Mobil, Shell and Agip like back of my hand. I know like a dozen of guys that got jobs in the aforementioned without without writing job test. Worst of it is Agip that don't consider test as a criteria, all you have to know is one ashawo that is phocking Italian, you start work the next day.

Exxon is another scam. At Exxon Mobil, All you have to do is to know either Fami Dada, Asuquo or Mr. Oluwole. T.

Shell?? Yeah, where people get recruited without attending interviews? Or where 90% of SITP trainees are recruited based on insiders standing for them?

NNPC or Dpr is equally is not merit since is quota system based. The only room left is for one to get experience in the field and how do you do that, if entry level selection is fraud?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 3:42pm On Mar 05, 2013
[quote author=sogah][/quote]

Okay,. . . next!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by jidewin(m): 3:43pm On Mar 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

I can go down and tell you when, who and what happened. Lemme leave the name calling for now.

Note:
I have personally benefited with the pady pady arrangee employment thing and am not ashame to say it here, cos that's the truth.

The sad part of everything is, some guys did wrote the aptitude test for the vacancy and were interviewed for the position I was given like "gala" , they were told to wait for 2 weeks only for them to be substituted with us. Does that made me less qualify for the job? NO!!!!!. I went for 2 two training processes in France and bested every other person that came for that same training. . .to cut the long story short, I got another offer with the company that came to train us less than a month into the training

I can still remember how the instructor kept persuading me to return to Europe for the job, he even offered my family members educational grants i.e. BRIBED my popsy, mumsy and my other siblings with cash in form of educational support.

I won't climb moral horse and start "posing" like baba fryo. I'll always say the truth. I no holy passssss!!!

Exxon Mobil recruitment is a piled of wet shiit. The questions for the aptitude test is given out to selected few weeks before the examination date. Quote me anywhere on this!. Infact, you don't even need to write the shl/skill test to be invited for interviews and selection class. I'M A LIVING PROOF!!!

Bo,Thank you for the honesty.My respect for you increased with one more level from today.Why can't we be openly honest in Nigeria and call a spade A SPADE?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by sunnyprof: 3:47pm On Mar 05, 2013
Which one did you enjoy:

Finance Minister: Alhaji Alhaji vs Okonjo Iweala?
CBN governor Soludo vs Sanusi
NNPC/PET Min Kupolokun vs Deziani
Mines/Power Dalhatu vs Bath Nnaji
Presidncy Obasanjo vs Jonathan
Governor Tinubu vs Fashola
Business Otedola vs Dangote
IOC (shell/mobil) Sunmonu vs Otunba Olatunde
Traditional Aromolaran vs Olashore

Just relate this to education, what do you get? It must be a wholesome learning too.
Try a variety of comparisons on either education, skill, experience and sociology, you will get something different.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 3:48pm On Mar 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Say what you know, please! What's there is these companies that a brilliant secondary school student can't handle properly? Lemme say this and repeat it again and again, there is nothing scary or big about working in Exxon Mobil or other oil coy. Just a routine, boring and unchallenging task from January to December. Stop making it look as if a 3rd class Nigerian graduate can't handle the task excellently.

Wetin be big work for hourly checking and recording the pressure of an in-line process line or sending mails directing field technicians the next date of routine preventing maintenance? My 2 years old son can do that within 30 minutes of telling him what to do. Abeg fashi that side.

Not that some people can't get recruited base on merit and all that. But what I hate is lying and denial or trying to start bragging with "yeah, I'm now working with shell, cos I'm the best" when in real na pady pady runs carry you go there. The MNC is turning into family business, where members of family rotate recruitment slots among their siblings.

Lemme call some names to buttress my point. Do you know that Demiji Isiaka, Dotun Isiaka and Razak Isiaka are thesame family members working in EXXON MOBIL?, May be na dem sabi book pass wey 3 people and their 4 in-laws will be working in EXXON MOBIL . . . Don't come here to tell me about Exxon Mobil, a place I know like the tip of my dicck. That place is like a family reunion, where members of thesame family work in different department.

Guy this is ignorance abeg. What you have described is a technician's job. Engineers (with full engineering degrees) are not supposed to work as operators in the oil industry. You might find qualified engineers doing it not minding that the job is for ND, HND graduates because of the money but that doesn't mean it's an engineering job. Petroleum engineers in producing coys do highly technical stuff like well intervention supervision, reservoir simulation, reserves, general reservoir engineering is an Asset team environment or Asset production engineering where you design jobs and ensure wells produce optimally. Waliking lines and taking readings and sending emails are done by operations people some of whom (older folks) have just SSCE. Graduates take those jobs now because if the money.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 3:53pm On Mar 05, 2013
jidewin:
Bo,Thank you for the honesty.My respect for you increased with one more level from today.Why can't we be openly honest in Nigeria and call a spade A SPADE?

Bros, am sick and tired of these lies!!!. How can I continue lying and expect Mr. president to be sincere?? That's naija for you.

Yes, merit still dey but pady pady is much much more greater!!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by jaybee3(m): 3:57pm On Mar 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

I swearigawd this was exactly my feeling when i came out of the skills test that they organised in the UK back in 03. Me and my wife sat for the test and both came out thinking goddamit how on earth did some people finish early with smiles on their respective faces after having been drilled on kirchoff's/hooks law and the likes.
In fact that's the most ridiculous interview I've ever been for in my life as a graduate engineer at the time.
My wife went for the process engineering test and also had to answer the ridiculous questions.

No doubt in my mind at the time that the only people that would have scaled through would have most certainly been in the know as per the questions before attending the interview.

SMH

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 3:57pm On Mar 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Bros, am sick and tired of these lies!!!. How can I continue lying and expect Mr. president to be sincere?? That's naija for you.

Yes, merit still dey but pady pady is much much more greater!!

i would say the ratio is 19:1
out of 20 workers you see in any company based in nigeria, 19 of them got there through the backdoor. the degree of the aid they got vary from person to person but they all got aided one way or the other. i dunno why jarus/ajanlekoko are trying to pull wool over the eyes of the others. your brother might not necessarily tell you the things he did to land some certain jobs!

jay bee:
I swearigawd this was exactly my feeling when i came out of the skills test that they organised in the UK back in 03. Me and my wife sat for the test and both came out thinking goddamit how on earth did some people finish early with smiles on their respective faces after having been drilled on kirchoff's/hooks law and the likes.
In fact that's the most ridiculous interview I've ever been for in my life as a graduate engineer at the time.
My wife went for the process engineering test and also had to answer the ridiculous questions.

No doubt in my mind at the time that the only people that would have scaled through would have most certainly been in the know as per the questions before attending the interview.

SMH

poor jaybee,
whilst jaybee was sweating with tensile stress/tensile strain, his counterparts who had seen the question a month before the interview were just regurgitating what they had memorised with ease. how can anyone tell me there's no corruption at every level in nigeria? i once saw minted jamb questions being handed to a son by his father in lagos some 24 hrs before the examination itself.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 4:02pm On Mar 05, 2013
flexyonline:

Guy this is ignorance abeg. What you have described is a technician's job. Engineers (with full engineering degrees) are not supposed to work as operators in the oil industry. You might find qualified engineers doing it not minding that the job is for ND, HND graduates because of the money but that doesn't mean it's an engineering job. Petroleum engineers in producing coys do highly technical stuff like well intervention supervision, reservoir simulation, reserves, general reservoir engineering is an Asset team environment or Asset production engineering where you design jobs and ensure wells produce optimally. Waliking lines and taking readings and sending emails are done by operations people some of whom (older folks) have just SSCE. Graduates take those jobs now because if the money.

What are you talking about ? That engineers are not suppose to supervise technicians?? Abeg, talk wetin you know. Goto the field and get more enlightened.

How then do you expect a maintenance engineer to know the root cause of a failure in a turbine without physically assessing the damage? Or how do you expect the pipeline engineer understand which valve that requires changing? Yes, the engineer is not suppose to get dirty, but must be present to see what is going on as a supervisor.

What do you think SITP, graduate training program of shell is? To learn how to swallow eba?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 4:05pm On Mar 05, 2013
jay bee:

SMH

Bros, I swear with God that Exxon Mobil examination questions is normally out for like 2 weeks before the examination date. I know it!!!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 4:07pm On Mar 05, 2013
coogar:

i would say the ratio is 19:1
out of 20 workers you see in any company based in nigeria, 19 of them got there through the backdoor. the degree of the aid they got vary from person to person but they all got aided one way or the other. i dunno why jarus/ajanlekoko are trying to pull wool over the eyes of the others. your brother might not necessarily tell you the things he did to land some certain jobs!

Gbam!!!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by sixteen08(m): 4:19pm On Mar 05, 2013
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by sixteen08(m): 4:22pm On Mar 05, 2013
O boy @rhino.5dm dey para mode,as in serious one gringrin.....anyway its nice getting 2 hear frm those that have benefited from the man-know-man system
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Jarus(m): 4:28pm On Mar 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Note:

I have not been mentioning Exxon, because I also know their recruitment get k-leg. The only classmate of mine that got Mobil job when we finished, her father retired from Exxon as a top guy. And I didn't see her at the venue when we all did the test in 2007, only to hear she was the only one (out of our classmates that did the Mobil test that year) that got the job. She is brilliant though, a First Class herself.

With 2 or more people alluding that Shell recruitment is also getting crooked, I may review my assessment, but I have seen too many people from wretched/poor backgrounds that got Shell offers in recent times to believe merit doesn't exist there. Merit still largely exists in these IOC's. Don't discourage people. That's my general point.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 4:30pm On Mar 05, 2013
Jarus:

I have not been mentioning Exxon, because I also know their recruitment get k-leg. The only classmate of mine that, her father retired from Exxon as a top guy. And I didn't see her at the venue when we all did the test in 2007, only to hear she was the only one (out of our classmates that did the Mobil test that year) that got the job. She is brilliant though, a First Class herself.

With 2 or more people alluding that Shell recruitment is also getting crooked, I may review my assessment, but I have seen too many people from wretched/poor backgrounds that got Shell offers in recent times to believe merit doesn't exist there. Merit still largely exists in these IOC's. Don't discourage people. That's my general point.

these too many people from humble backgrounds might have forfeited their salary in the first few months and the females might have offered their bodies.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 4:33pm On Mar 05, 2013
Jarus:

I have not been mentioning Exxon, because I also know their recruitment get k-leg. The only classmate of mine that got Mobil job when we finished, her father retired from Exxon as a top guy. And I didn't see her at the venue when we all did the test in 2007, only to hear she was the only one (out of our classmates that did the Mobil test that year) that got the job. She is brilliant though, a First Class herself.

I agree with everything you said here.

I'm not trying to discourage people per say but rather make them open their eyes to see things naturally. i.e. they shouldn't close their eyes when they see others photocopying something that looks like examination questions before aptitude test cool.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 4:38pm On Mar 05, 2013
sixteen08: O boy @rhino.5dm dey para mode,as in serious one gringrin.....anyway its nice getting 2 hear frm those that have benefited from the man-know-man system

Bros nothing dey happen!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Jarus(m): 4:38pm On Mar 05, 2013
coogar:

these too many people from humble backgrounds might have forfeited their salary in the first few months and the females might have offered their bodies.

Interestingly, no female among all the ones I know. GS, SA, RA, OB, HB, etc
And if it was by money, they would have been outbidded because they weren't rich.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by jidewin(m): 4:39pm On Mar 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

I'm not trying to discourage people per say but rather make them open their eyes to see things naturally. i.e. they shouldn't close their eyes when they see others photocopying something that looks like examination questions before aptitude test cool.
Heheheheheeheheheheheheheeheh ok ok ok ok..".merit" in quote, still dey..but eh............... smiley Well my people,aluta continua.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Jarus(m): 4:39pm On Mar 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

This got me rotflmao in office, that my boss almost heard grin cheesy
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 4:41pm On Mar 05, 2013
Jarus:
Interestingly, no female among all the ones I know. GS, SA, RA, OB, HB, etc

i cannot argue - all these people might have gotten there through merit but trust me there must be another 100 that got there too by one dodgy means or the other.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 4:41pm On Mar 05, 2013
Jarus:

This got me rotflmao in office, that my boss almost heard grin cheesy

cool cool cool
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Kingekeh(m): 4:41pm On Mar 05, 2013
A degree from any of the Ivy league schools remains an asset.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by sixteen08(m): 4:41pm On Mar 05, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Bros nothing dey happen!

grin grin grin notin dey happen true true gringrin
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 4:42pm On Mar 05, 2013
jidewin:
Heheheheheeheheheheheheheeheh ok ok ok ok..".merit" in quote, still dey..but eh............... smiley Well my people,aluta continua.

Yes ooooooo cool.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by mbaemeka(m): 4:49pm On Mar 05, 2013
@flexxyonline

I couldve have responded to you in greater detail but I would be casting my 'pearls to swine'. Infact placing you as one is an insult to swine. Thank heavens Rhino.5dm has responded to you.

@all I never said that foreign degrees weren't respected or that 'no form' of meritocracy is involved in recruitment processes. I only stated unequivocally that the 'magomago' was rife and is slowly effacing the merit part especially at entry level. I don't know what @flexxyonline is on about 'talking about a defeatist attitude. Heck, I could even be working for Chevron now.

Concerning the recruitment process please don't make me laugh. In the previous PE recruitment prior to the 2012 one only 8 people got to the interview stage. Because they were so few they exchanged contacts with themselves and promised to inform the others should any of them be called. None of them were. Even though some left the UK and US to attend the interview. About last years own, LOL ( I have to LOL in between) they short-listed people for the initial Dragnet test and responded quite abrubtly in selecting those that were to partake in the skilltest phase. There was a veeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyy long wait before folks were invited for the interview stage and do you know why? Its because the questions leaked. Apparently one big man gave the questions to his olodo son who in turn brought it to people that could solve it for him. One thing led to another and so most people had it and did so well that Chevron didn't knwo what to do. I know a boy whose dad just retired from there ( a Geophysicist) that also got a job via the 'earth scientist' option. By the same man-know-man parole. Keep your defeatist/ guilty conscience talk to yourself.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by ecolime(m): 5:03pm On Mar 05, 2013
Krucifax:

Na wah oo. You must be using Juju grin No be you say you want start pure water bizness few months ago for ya papa house?? shocked
You caught him pants down. People dey lie oo shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply)

Fashola, Segun Oni, Amaechi, Ezekwesili, Danbazzau May Make Buhari’s Cabinet. / Lucky Aiyedatiwa, Ondo Deputy Governor Moves Against Akeredolu / Tinubu Meets With Ooni Of Ife, Osun Traditional Rulers (Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.