Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,766 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality (42400 Views)

Buhari Appoints Tax Chief With Fraudulent Degree - The FCT Post / Typical Nigerian Mentality / Nigerian Mentality: "Husband, Wife And Donkey" Comic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 11:32pm On Mar 04, 2013
coogar:

they respect white people more - once they know you are nigerian, they don't give a damn. i experienced that nonsense several times in lagos.

Sad....all you need to do is be white and the whole world is pretty much your oyster with people bending the norms to ensure your comfort. Miraculously jobs that are hard to come by for Nigerians with elite degrees from foreign institutions are in abundance for foreigners with a lower grade education.

To the Europeans reading this thread... you JUST DON'T KNOW how good you have it.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 11:32pm On Mar 04, 2013
OP, did they not taught you short hand at Cambridge?
If you write this thesis as an application for a job in Nigeria...walahi talahi...you fail or do you want to threaten your interviewer job?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by huninaija(f): 11:32pm On Mar 04, 2013
I was once advised that if one is planning on relocating to Nigeria to make sure he has at least 2 years experience in his area of interest i.e career, and to at least have secured a job before jetting out. This saves time and a lot of hassle that may accrue from job hunting in Nigeria.

In addition to this, if all else fails to have a valuable trading/learned skill i.e.a business. There are many business opportunities in naija, although not easy but if its a new idea, with enough research done on the intended market, checkmate... wink

Lastly, if these don't work out, connections! The bane of nigerian society... wink

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nanidee(f): 11:33pm On Mar 04, 2013
saxywale:
Most don't even know the difference between a Caucasian, Lebanese, Iraqi or Indian.In Nigeria, they are all whitemen with special powers.

Ignorant bunch!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 11:34pm On Mar 04, 2013
So many funny comments here.

Personally, I don't think it should be automatic that because you have a foreign degree, you should be automatically preferred to the locall-trained. This is why I like MNCs like Shell. They subject all of you to same selection process and pick who they consider the best (and interestingly, their final picks have always been balanced between local and foreign trained). I don't agree it should be automatic. If you do well in selection process, with your effizzy accent, you stand a very good chance. My guess is that you expected your search to be a walk in the park, for the simple reason that you have good foreign degree.

But like Ajanlekoko said, there are dwindling white collar jobs. If it was 2004-2008, I can bet you would have gotten many offers. I was spoilt for choices, got up to 4 offers 2007/2008. But I spent more than 1 year actively nosing before I was able to get a decent move last year. Things have changed. My friends that resigned from banks and went abroad for Msc's struggled to get another job when they came back. Not many jobs, too many qualified people competing for the few spaces.

Personally, I still hold that merit still works in Nigeria, especially in private sector. The connection thing is exaggerated in my opinion. It is not as bad as portrayed. I got my current job thru Guardian advert. My tight friends got jobs in Shell, Chevron, Addax without knowing anybody. These are good guys and merit is working for them.

26 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Afam4eva(m): 11:35pm On Mar 04, 2013
There was this firm where one of my acquaintance works. he said the company imported an expatriate from France to head a section of the company. The guy does not have a PHD, a masters or even a Bachelors. Even diploma, he doesn't have . What he has is a high school certificate and he's supposed to head Nigerians with different certificates. That's the story of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by blackmann(m): 11:35pm On Mar 04, 2013
Afam4eva: In NIgeria, it's about who you know. Even if you graduated from Osu or Aba polytechnic and you know someone, you'll definitely get a job ahead of someone from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cornell, John Hopkins etc.

Another reason why people from foreign schools don't get jobs is because some employers cannot pay them. Even people from UNN, UI, OAU, LAG and other premier universities are finding it very hard these days because a lot of companies especially banks will rather employ HND and OND holders that they can pay peanuts.

That is exactly one of the main problems. Why pay a masters or phd degree holder peanuts for his knowledge that will bring in millions to the company? they know that and they decide to exploit them. Later everyone will complain of brain-drain. when the most competent people who have the chance to improve things are being lured away when some goat with an ond and a letter from the vice president gets the job over u.

To make things worse now, i hear the government here in the USA is trying to make things in such a way that those foreign students who are trained are able to get good jobs. That way they will be able to apply their knowledge gained from schools to their jobs. why cant we do the same thing? why offer someone someone 30k a month and employ a take-it-or-leave-it stance? that is what is killing nigeria today.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AjanleKoko: 11:39pm On Mar 04, 2013
Afam4eva: There was this firm where one of my acquaintance works. he said the company imported an expatriate from France to head a section of the company. The guy does not have a PHD, a masters or even a Bachelors. Even diploma, he doesn't have . What he has is a high school certificate and he's supposed to head Nigerians with different certificates. That's the story of Nigeria.

Dude. Don't be so naive.
Do you really think that person brought in the French guy to feed his ego? It's either he is using the guy to front as a white face, to seek for contracts from the government, or MNCs who won't give jobs to local Nigerian companies. Or the guy is actually doing a job for him.

We seem to think that certificate = skill = automatic job = good salary, and that is the big problem Nigerians have. Even Chinese companies in Nigeria find the locals unemployable. That should bother people who think.

6 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 04, 2013
blackmann:

That is exactly one of the main problems. Why pay a masters or phd degree holder peanuts for his knowledge that will bring in millions to the company? they know that and they decide to exploit them. Later everyone will complain of brain-drain. when the most competent people who have the chance to improve things are being lured away when some goat with an ond and a letter from the vice president gets the job over u.

It is simple economics. If an HND holder can do the job with same pay, why do I have to hire a PhD to do same job with heavier pay? It erodes my bottomline.

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 04, 2013
Booty4me: Whats d op blabbinq b0ut? Meanwile 5th 2 comment
at least read that's he is "blabbing" about before showing that you are a senseless clueless Nigerian......."Fifth to comment"otele
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by mygirrl: 11:41pm On Mar 04, 2013
I completely agree with the poster, I came back like 5 months ago after all the promises i'm yet to find a job, despite the fact that i worked for 2 years before coming back. I find it insulting that companies want to take me as a fresher (when i graduated close to six years ago). I know what is inside my head and i strongly believe that if given a chance i can make a difference but its Nigeria we are talking about. I have already made up my mind to start up something small and see how far it can grow by the grace of God. I don't blame many Nigerians abroad for refusing to come back.

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by dayokanu(m): 11:42pm On Mar 04, 2013
Afam4eva: There was this firm where one of my acquaintance works. he said the company imported an expatriate from France to head a section of the company. The guy does not have a PHD, a masters or even a Bachelors. Even diploma, he doesn't have . What he has is a high school certificate and he's supposed to head Nigerians with different certificates. That's the story of Nigeria.

Way back in 2001 when we went for IT one of my friend who did his IT at AGIP-SAIPEM said one of their Oyinbo "expatriate" Gaetano who claimed to be an Engineer was actually a crackhead trained interior decorator from Milan but wasn't doing well in Business and his friend arranged for him to come to Africa and work.

Na him dey always harass all the Nigerian MSC UNIPORT FUTO, UNILAG etc engineers

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 11:43pm On Mar 04, 2013
dayokanu: My friends younger brother went for NNPC interview in 2011 I think in Abuja when he came back to tell us the tales of what goes on there. You would be shocked

This guy prepared for the interview reading slides about the Oil industry when he got there the interviewers could barely speak English. Some were eating Kolanut at the interview.

One woman couldn't hide it that she wanted to go for Lunch and was complaining throughout how hungry she was.

Another one asked what state he was from and started gisting about his NYSC in that part of the country.

I spoke to him like last year and he said they haven't heard anything back from NNPC since

LOLzz
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by chmod777: 11:44pm On Mar 04, 2013
Please guys have you tried having GOD as your contact ? I bet you, you get a job today. Call me if you try it sincerely and it does not work

8 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 11:45pm On Mar 04, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Therein lies one of the problems, actually.

Do you really need a Bsc and Msc in computer science to develop solutions for any market?

I am not saying you necessarily need one. What i meant was, one can come up with Ideas and use the skills acquired to create solutions instead of the other way round.

In fact, many of the things i do, i learned on my own including computer science stuff. And i encourage those around me to put their imagination into work. The digital age have made it easy to easily access materials or buy updated books direct from eBooks stores.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by KokoBeware: 11:46pm On Mar 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
Definitely not.
Afam4eva:
Definitely not.
My point exactly ... It's not about a foreign degree... It's more like what can you offer to the company... Well I like the way the OP concluded his post sound advice... U can't come with just a "paper degree" an a fake accent Nd think you will get jobs ... You need to have something to bring to the table......our problem is we put too much emphasis on paper degrees.... I bet the OP was more "paper qualified" than his manager in the UK..... It's high time we shift from paper qualification.....

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by areaboi: 11:47pm On Mar 04, 2013
@ Ajalenkoko, you're a peepsqueak. You said "do you really need a MSC in computer science for you to develop a APP for a company". NONSENSE!!!!. You think developing APP is all about developing sequential programs, to develop some applications if don't have adequate experience for years you can't do jack unless you've got some kind of academic background which of course surpasses the undergraduate level. Please, check our head before you type nonsense.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by theripper: 11:47pm On Mar 04, 2013
Well written, however, some multinationals are very strict and transparent in their recruitment process, PWC, KPMG, P&G though there might be prolonged delay lasting about several months. Some companies like shell might keep one on the waiting list for about 1yr or more. Gone are the days wen u actually practice wat u study in Nigeria, most of my tech friends are in banks or auditing firms, just a minute few got the oil jobs. The competition is just too much and nepotism can never b ruled out. Some oil jobs are reserved exclusively for indigenes of a particular place or community, if u like carry Caltech and Yale collabo, no show. Well, I would advice d Nigerian graduate to avoid being regimented, watever ur hand findeth doing, do it. Explore and get out of ur comfort zones and there will b light at the of the tunnel though it won't b an easy ride. It's never easy anywhere. The pursuit for success is an irksome task for strong willed and witty ones.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AjanleKoko: 11:50pm On Mar 04, 2013
areaboi: @ Ajalenkoko, you're a peepsqueak. You said "do you really need a MSC in computer science for you to develop a APP for a company". NONSENSE!!!!. You think developing APP is all about developing sequential programs, to develop some applications if don't have adequate experience for years you can't do jack unless you've got some kind of academic background which of course surpasses the undergraduate level. Please, check our head before you type nonsense.

Oh Jeez.
What the heck are you on about? undecided
Please don't tell me that you have a foreign degree shocked grin

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by hardbody: 11:50pm On Mar 04, 2013
I feel the post and all you guys commenting. I do admit that some foreign degrees are superlative when compared to some Nigerian degrees. However, it does not necessarily follow that head knowledge and experience acquired abroad are always better than their local counterparts. My company, publicly quoted on the Nigerian Stock Exchange, after the consolidation, recruited professionals from UK and US primarily. Some of those guys were earning more than the then MD/CEO. They were coming with Britico expertise to change the industry and teach the local boys how that business is done. 4 years down the line, of the 6 recruited from off shore, only one is remaining in the system, and he is basically doing everything to retain that slot. My point? When you acquire those skill set abroad, use them to impact your environment as your skills must have been taught with the benefit of your locality. Let the mediocre Nigerians as you guys are won't to tag them continue with applying their skills acquired the Nigerian way in Nigeria. Some of us are sick and tired of all these showy display of better quality degree and certificates. As for me ooo, my degrees are not in any way secondary or subservient to another on the same course irrespective of where the other one is obtained. And yes, I am pursuing a PH.d abroad, just because of the certainty in duration of the course not because I feel that the training back home will not be worth it. In all, let us appreciate the little we have and continually build on it.

And by the way, I have held some 4 jobs, and in none was I recruited because I knew any one,it had always been walk in interviews and I got placement on merit. So letbus stop making faulty generalizations.

9 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 11:51pm On Mar 04, 2013
With Nigeria 170 million population expected to double in the next 30yrs?
where are the jobs going to come from, its time we start talking seriously
about population control.

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 11:51pm On Mar 04, 2013
ypzilanti:
. Many countries sponsor citizens to study in these countries so as to come back and work in civil service and benefit the country. So the question is this: why should Nigeria have such well trained individuals roaming the streets? What a waste of talent. Can we not employ them into the civil service to move that sector in the right direction? China hires most of its USA trained population into its civil service. Chile's great economic plan was crafted by Chileans who graduated from University of Chicago. We are just a visionless nation.
very true, in Nigeria, using lagos state as an example, its easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a foreign trained waste management grad to get a job in LAWMA or transport grad in LAMATA.
And to the multinational or oil coy in naija, there is not much difference, your connection would get u a job or atleast an interview. Yes chevron is known for man know man as well.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 11:51pm On Mar 04, 2013
LastApostle: OP, did they not taught you short hand at Cambridge?
If you write this thesis as an application for a job in Nigeria...walahi talahi...you fail or do you want to threaten your interviewer job?

what he said.........

nnenna.1:

Sad....all you need to do is be white and the whole world is pretty much your oyster with people bending the norms to ensure your comfort. Miraculously jobs that are hard to come by for Nigerians with elite degrees from foreign institutions are in abundance for foreigners with a lower grade education.

To the Europeans reading this thread... you JUST DON'T KNOW how good you have it.

they really don't know - the ones who know are permanently based in nigeria and they are never going back home.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by newmaonza: 11:51pm On Mar 04, 2013
@ op: Forget all this your Jargon about Foreign degree, Just bring Yourself down and think like a Nigerian...You have forgotten your roots and now want people to worship u cos u are brandishing one University of London.... Guy nobody owes You a job,especially the juicy ones......I suspect that You no hustle for one single day b4 You went abroad......I even suspect that You no even try Scholarship, Popsi just dey spend 10 million annually on top ur education... If not, You for Know say Dem no dey Pluck money for Mango trees For Naija......... Guy, all hope is not lost, Just Give those HR guyz what they need, most times itz usually not intelligence but a willingness to just work your ass out in gruelling conditions and produce result cry..... God will keep being your strength.

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by ochukoccna: 11:53pm On Mar 04, 2013
3 things I learnt from this thread

1)Look towards entepreneurship
2)Expect the worst if you relocate to 9ja after your education esp if you lack connections.If possible,stay back and relocate
3)Governance is a corrupt cesspit at to many levels in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 11:56pm On Mar 04, 2013
mygirrl: I completely agree with the poster, I came back like 5 months ago after all the promises i'm yet to find a job, despite the fact that i worked for 2 years before coming back. I find it insulting that companies want to take me as a fresher (when i graduated close to six years ago). I know what is inside my head and i strongly believe that if given a chance i can make a difference but its Nigeria we are talking about. I have already made up my mind to start up something small and see how far it can grow by the grace of God. I don't blame many Nigerians abroad for refusing to come back.

That's quite common as well, you here them say stuffs like "we have a different technology in our coy, so you need to start afresh to learn
" even though the tech is outdated.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 11:57pm On Mar 04, 2013
new maonza: @ op: Forget all this your Jargon about Foreign degree, Just bring Yourself down and think like a Nigerian...You have forgotten your roots and now want people to worship u cos u are brandishing one University of London.... Guy nobody owes You a job,especially the juicy ones......I suspect that You no hustle for one single day b4 You went abroad......I even suspect that You no even try Scholarship, Popsi just dey spend 10 million annually on top ur education... If not, You for Know say Dem no dey Pluck money for Mango trees For Naija......... Guy, all hope is not lost, Just Give those HR guyz what they need, most times itz usually not intelligence but a willingness to just work your ass out in gruelling conditions and produce result cry..... God will keep being your strength.

why should this be the case?
i have to rub palms of my employers before i get a job? what else do i have to do after i land the job? wash his car? suck his cöck? if they collect money from men to give them jobs, heaven knows what they would demand from female job applicants.......
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Kairoseki77: 11:58pm On Mar 04, 2013
chmod777: Please guys have you tried having GOD as your contact ? I bet you, you get a job today. Call me if you try it sincerely and it does not work

[size=20pt]Mumu[/size]
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by yhemster(m): 11:58pm On Mar 04, 2013
If you are not going to Nigeria to set up your own business or work in a family business, its better to stay put in everywhere diaspora you are. Its true that Nigeria is changing for better and the middle class spending capacity is getting bigger but the fact is Nigeria is still under a transition period where there are great opportunities only for investors and not job-seekers. Its true that good education is the key to good living condition but only when the education can be put use; its like buying a bucket of KFC for a 2 year old who doesn't care what kind of food you give to him. There are job opportunities in Nigeria but its only everyone is over-qualified for the job. For example, in the USA, those so called engineers who works on oil rigs or engineering firm are mostly not university educated, majority of them are technicians who work their way up to becoming certified engineers through experience. The scenario in Nigeria today is that nobody was to start climbing from the bottom of the ladder, majority wants to jump on the ladder at the midway up which is not logical. Going overseas to get education is good idea but look before you leap next time. its time we start to consider the return on investment on education before paying for it.
My point is that only relocate to Nigeria when you have enough resources to set yourself a business or investment. One good thing for business owners in Nigeria now is educated labor is still very cheap, 40% of college graduates have masters degree and about 15% of college graduate have PHD.

Think on what you can do for your country and not what your country can do for you

10 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 12:03am On Mar 05, 2013
the_ripper: Well written, however, some multinationals are very strict and transparent in their recruitment process, PWC, KPMG, P&G though there might be prolonged delay lasting about several months. Some companies like shell might keep one on the waiting list for about 1yr or more. Gone are the days wen u actually practice wat u study in Nigeria, most of my tech friends are in banks or auditing firms, just a minute few got the oil jobs. The competition is just too much and nepotism can never b ruled out. Some oil jobs are reserved exclusively for indigenes of a particular place or community, if u like carry Caltech and Yale collabo, no show. Well, I would advice d Nigerian graduate to avoid being regimented, watever ur hand findeth doing, do it. Explore and get out of ur comfort zones and there will b light at the of the tunnel though it won't b an easy ride. It's never easy anywhere. The pursuit for success is an irksome task for strong willed and witty ones.
Guy leave that one. A cuz of mine was recruited into PWC Nigeria with a 2.2,entry level. These was at a time when you can only select a first or 2.1 only on their website (initial application). m not saying folks don't get in on merit, they do but there's always room for the "our own person"..
off to bed. work in d morning.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 12:03am On Mar 05, 2013
It is not a small tin o,

No correct me
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Kairoseki77: 12:04am On Mar 05, 2013
coogar:

why should this be the case?
i have to rub palms of my employers before i get a job? what else do i have to do after i land the job? wash his car? suck his cöck? if they collect money from men to give them jobs, heaven knows what they would demand from female job applicants.......

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Oh my!

I will provide you a job for this service. You will have to move to New York though.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Governor Ikpeazu Hosts His Team Of Lawyers After High Court Victory. Photos / Ummi Kano Attacked, Injured (Graphic Photos) / Who Got Swag With The Selfie Stick...President Obama Or Ex-President Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.