Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,117 members, 7,811,138 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:23 AM

Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality (42405 Views)

Buhari Appoints Tax Chief With Fraudulent Degree - The FCT Post / Typical Nigerian Mentality / Nigerian Mentality: "Husband, Wife And Donkey" Comic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by obi2012: 4:24pm On Mar 07, 2013
guy, its a lie.. Nigerian doctors simply do not cross over here (the US) and work in their field...

Sure, they bypass medical school but thats about it..

In the US, they are qualified to sit for USMLE step one.. which is the first step to getting licensed in the US.. you have to take it before you can partake in residency (housemanship).. During your housemanship which is 3 years, you have to sit for step 2 and step 3.. After you pass them and you complete your three years of housemanship (residency), you then sit for your boards before you can practice as a doctor..

This process is true for everyone regardless of which country you graduated in or how many years of experience you have.. There is no way around it..

My wife is a doctor here in the US at age 28.. that was the process..

My brother in law is a nigerian trained doctor with 8 years of experience.. he just applied for residency (housemanship) now and is hoping a hospital accepts him so that he can complete his training..

No ways around it.. It is a standardized process..

Ask anyone familiar with the medical field.. US doesnt even recognize UK or Canadian experience when it comes to their doctors..

ROSSIKE:

You are really not very bright. Dr Oyesiku is simply one of the elders in an organisation with over 4,000 doctors. Do you think they are all 57 years old like him? You need to travel around, talk less and learn more. I have seen Nigerian doctors in the US and UK in hospitals. Majority of them are in their 30s. Some in their 20s. Not to mention other professionals. You have NO CLUE what is going on.

If you had less foam in your skull, you'd think twice about coming here to peddle beer parlour garbage thinking you're relating with your fellow illiterates.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:

spermflakes must occupy where your thalamus should be. were you not the one talking a good game some moments back that nigerian graduates go out there to head organizations?

Born liar. Where did I say anything about recent Nigerian gads ''heading organizations''. All I did was refer you to the Nigerian Physicians in the US association website, to show we have a substantial Nigerian medical contingent out there, and then you stupidly pick out one of their top older guys Oyesiku, for your rant? What has HE got to do with the age make up of the organization? What matters is their make up. And their average age is most certainly NOT 57 years.

you brought out a link showing nigerian gurus and i simply profiled one of the names and the vital stats showed something different.

What ''vital stats''? Why did you pick out ONE person form an organisation of 4,000 to make a point? Is that not a sign that you're stupi.d or deceptive?

you are a tool! so 4,000 doctors in the usa means they were all well-trained

You cannot practise medicine in the USA if you are not ''well trained''. DUNCE.

or they are there to further their career

They would have no ''career'' without the SOUND education Nigeria had provided them.

and spend more years in foreign education to purge them of the toxic nigerian education. get out of here, abeg!

The only toxicity I see is that caused by the numerous drugs and drinks in your system.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 4:28pm On Mar 07, 2013
obi2012: guy, its a lie.. Nigerian doctors simply do not cross over here (the US) and work in their field...

Sure, they bypass medical school but thats about it..

In the US, they are qualified to sit for USMLE step one.. which is the first step to getting licensed in the US.. you have to take it before you can partake in residency (housemanship).. During your housemanship which is 3 years, you have to sit for step 2 and step 3.. After you pass them and you complete your three years of housemanship (residency), you then sit for your boards before you can practice as a doctor..

This process is true for everyone regardless of which country you graduated in or how many years of experience you have.. There is no way around it..

My wife is a doctor here in the US at age 28.. that was the process..

My brother in law is a nigerian trained doctor with 8 years of experience.. he just applied for residency (housemanship) now and is hoping a hospital accepts him so that he can complete his training..

No ways around it.. It is a standardized process..

Ask anyone familiar with the medical field.. US doesnt even recognize UK or Canadian experience when it comes to their doctors..

What is it with you people?

''SURE THEY BYPASS MEDICAL SCHOOL BUT THAT'S IT''?

''THAT'S IT''?

Where did they attend that medical school?

Was it not in Nigeria?

Can you start the processs you mentioned WITHOUT that 5 years spent at NIGERIAN MEDICAL SCHOOLS? YES OR NO?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by BABE3: 4:30pm On Mar 07, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Kindly return to Tonto Dikeh issues and stop disturbing this thread with your ignorance. Majority of Nigerian doctors abroad got their medical degree in Nigeria PRIOR to traveling overseas.

I refuse to go nuclear on your àrsè.
You provided a link to support your argument, I refuted it and this is what you come up with?

Why not go back to the link and tell me what I'm not getting ?
Nigerian doctors abroad ? Prove it, and make sure you find a better link this time.

3 yrs in Nigeria+ 10 years in America prior practicing = the doctor was trained in Nigeria.

ROSSIKE:
Your mere shouting form a point of absolute ignorance doesn't alter the facts on the ground in the least. While you are there being useless to self and country, thousands of Nigerian graduates continue to troop out of the country to excel in the chosen fields, for which they were trained - and well trained - in Nigeria.

Tell me something, BABE. Do you have a degree from a Nigerian university?

Why so pained though? Why the insults ? Lets keep it civil.
Yes, I have a degree from a Nigerian university.

Btw, who's tonto dike?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by sixteen08(m): 4:32pm On Mar 07, 2013
O boy dis is fierce intellectual war *walai*
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 4:36pm On Mar 07, 2013
ROSSIKE:
Born nliar. Where did I say anything about recent Nigerian gads ''heading organizations''. All I did was refer you to the Nigerian Physicians in the US assocuiation website, to show we have a substantial Nigerian medical contingent out tyhere, and then you stupidly piock out one of their top older guys Oyesiku, for your rant? What has HE got to do with the age make up of the organization? What mmatters is their make up. And their acverage age is most certainly NOT 57 years.

refer back to your heresy in the other page.....
why did you say nigerian doctors are bossing organizations in america? don't you know what bossing means or do i need to start lecturing you on your vocab? we are saying the education system in nigeria has gone to the pits and you are spewing piffle.

What ''vital stats''? Why did you pick out ONE person form an organisation of 4,000 to make a point? Is that not a sign that you're stupi.d or deceptive?

you must be suffering from down syndrome......where's your nous? you were the one that said people who graduated in the 70s and the 80s are now retired. oyesiku graduated in 1979 and he's still active in service.

You cannot practise medicine in the USA if you are not ''well trained''. DUNCE.

they can make you start from the scratch - you are not an intelligent person!

They would have no ''career'' without the SOUND education Nigeria had provided them.

sound education? which one? lolololol

The only toxicity I see is that caused by the numerous drugs and drinks in your system.

you must be high from smoking your own pubic hair.....get out of here before you embarrass your university degree any further.
seriously, you are a disgrace to the community that sponsored your education.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by obi2012: 4:37pm On Mar 07, 2013
they go through residency to get trained in medicine all over again regardless of years of experience.. you make it sound like they graduated, worked in nigeria and just transferred to america as an attending doctor.. not true.. they dont even qualify for residency if they dont pass step one..

graduates from nigerian university routinely get recruited as lawyers, engineers, accountants? again, not true.. for law, you have to sit for the LSAT and go through law school all over again before sitting for the bar, engineering foreign grads typically have to get a grad degree from a US school to be considered and accountants typically have to have a grad degree from a US school and pass their CPA before they can even be considered equivalent to their US counterparts.. Even then, the US grads still get top priority

ROSSIKE:

More high-falutin lies. Graduates from Nigerian universities ROUTINELY leave the country and take up good employment commensurate with their degrees in the USA, UK and Europe. Doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants. Ever heard of the brain drain? There would be no brain drain if Nigerian universities were as terrible as you claim.

ROSSIKE:

Was it not in Nigeria?

Can you start the processs you mentioned WITHOUT that 5 years spent at NIGERIAN MEDICAL SCHOOLS? YES OR NO?

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 4:38pm On Mar 07, 2013
BABE!:

I refuse to go nuclear on your àrsè.
You provided a link to support your argument, I refuted it and this is what you come up with?

You refuted nothing. All you've done is show your shallowness by laughing at Ghana, Rwanda and Burundi.

Why not go back to the link and tell me what I'm not getting ?
Nigerian doctors abroad ? Prove it, and make sure you find a better link this time.
]

The link I posted was the organization that represents 4000 Nigerian-trained doctors practising in the US.

3 yrs in Nigeria+ 10 years in America prior practicing = the doctor was trained in Nigeria.

What garbage are you typing? What does ''10 years in America prior practicing mean''?

Yes, I have a degree from a Nigerian university.

Then show some intelligence and stop talking crap.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 4:40pm On Mar 07, 2013
obi2012: they go through residency to get trained in medicine all over again regardless of years of experience.. you make it sound like they graduated, worked in nigeria and just transferred to america as an attending doctor.. not true.. they dont even qualify for residency if they dont pass step one..

graduates from nigerian university routinely get recruited as lawyers, engineers, accountants? again, not true.. for law, you have to sit for the LSAT and go through law school all over again before sitting for the bar, engineering foreign grads typically have to get a grad degree from a US school to be considered and accountants typically have to have a grad degree from a US school and pass their CPA before they can even be considered equivalent to their US counterparts.. Even then, the US grads still get top priority

rossike is a ninny - the worst type you can ever find on the internet.
if our education is good like he claims, the transition should be smooth. from one step to another without having to write exams or go through some hoops before getting on the gravy train. see how he's avoided the article i posted about UK blacklisting nigerian graduates because their standard is nothing to write home about. rossike is a troll.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by BABE3: 4:44pm On Mar 07, 2013
ROSSIKE:

''THAT'S IT''?

Was it not in Nigeria?

Where else were they gonna get their so called medical degree from while in Nigeria? Space ? That they decide to get their "degree" in Nigeria doesn't mean Shyte! When they get to America, they still have to go through series of trainings, exams and more years in school to meet the standard ... If the med.schools in Nigeria were so good, shouldn't the transition be smooth?

Your argument from the start was that Nigerian trained doctors fly out to 1st worlds after med. school and start practicing because they have 24 legs and the Nigerian med. schools are top notch. . .Right??
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:

refer back to your heresy in the other page.....
why did you say nigerian doctors are bossing organizations in america?

Some are. But you have to be a lot older than 20 or 30 to ''boss'' any organization. QUOTE where I stated that young Nigerian docs were ''bossing organizations in America''. Your LYING will get you nowhere.

don't you know what bossing means or do i need to start lecturing you on your vocab? we are saying the education system in nigeria has gone to the pits and you are spewing piffle.

SAVE US YOUR ''gone to the pits'' CRAP. There may have been a slip in standards in the last two decades, but the Nigerian educational system is STILL strong, solid, and churning out well-trained graduates who hold their own against their counterparts from around the world. You have a problem with that, go jump in the Lagos Lagoon.

8 of the top 100 ranked universities in Africa are Nigerian, so we are nowhere near as bad as you make out.

http://www.4icu.org/topAfrica/

you must be suffering from down syndrome......where's your nous?

Try not to bring in the disabled here. They don't deserve your idiocy.

you were the one that said people who graduated in the 70s and the 80s are now retired. oyesiku graduated in 1979 and he's still active in service.

LIAR. I said ''Most of the Nigerian doctors abroad trained in in the 70s and 80s are now retired. The majority of Nigerian doctors practising in America are young guys and girls trained in the 90s and 2000s''.

All you can do is LIE. You cannot engage me in a debate without telling lies about my position, and hoping no one notices.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 4:50pm On Mar 07, 2013
BABE!:

Where else were they gonna get their so called medical degree from while in Nigeria? Space ? That they decide to get their "degree" in Nigeria doesn't mean Shyte! When they get to America, they still have to go through series of trainings, exams and more years in school to meet the standard ... If the med.schools in Nigeria were so good, shouldn't the transition be smooth?

Your argument from the start was that Nigerian trained doctors fly out to 1st worlds after med. school and start practicing because they have 24 legs and the Nigerian med. schools are top notch. . .Right??

In the US EVERYONE with a foreign medical degree has to go through the same process. Why don't you go and learn a thing or two before adding yourself to this debate?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 4:56pm On Mar 07, 2013
@coogar
I have refused to address you directly prior to this but I can't keep up anymore. Guy please stop!! You are embarassing yourself with the views expressed here. I am not one to type a lot and so will not refute every pint you made but that doesn't connote that what you are saying has any truth to it. I believe you are detached from Nigeria. I guess you've not spent cumulatively up to 3 months in this country in the last 10 years for you to hold the opinions you've expressed here.

I will say this for the last time. It is impossible for secondary school leavers to do highly professional jobs. If I use myself as an example, I can say with modesty that I was one of the brightest school leavers in Nigeria in my set as evidenced by my SSCE results. My undergraduate study in Nigeria was tough and rigorous and laid a good foundation for my professional development. I got my one and only job since then based on my undergraduate studies. In the midst of this I went to the same UK and easily made distinction on my M.Sc in one of the top petroleum schools in the world. BUT I COULD NEVER HAVE DONE THE JOB I'M DOING NOW AS A SECONDARY SCHOOL LEAVER NO MATTER HOW BRIGHT I WAS.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Afam4eva(m): 5:02pm On Mar 07, 2013
flexyonline: @coogar
I have refused to address you directly prior to this but I can't keep up anymore. Guy please stop!! You are embarassing yourself with the views expressed here. I am not one to type a lot and so will not refute every pint you made but that doesn't connote that what you are saying has any truth to it. I believe you are detached from Nigeria. I guess you've not spent cumulatively up to 3 months in this country in the last 10 years for you to hold the opinions you've expressed here.

I will say this for the last time. It is impossible for secondary school leavers to do highly professional jobs. If I use myself as an example, I can say with modesty that I was one of the brightest school leavers in Nigeria in my set as evidenced by my SSCE results. My undergraduate study in Nigeria was tough and rigorous and laid a good foundation for my professional development. I got my one and only job since then based on my undergraduate studies. In the midst of this I went to the same UK and easily made distinction on my M.Sc in one of the top petroleum schools in the world. BUT I COULD NEVER HAVE DONE THE JOB I'M DOING NOW AS A SECONDARY SCHOOL LEAVER NO MATTER HOW BRIGHT I WAS.
Aren't we talking of jobs that require no technical prowess. Pls tell us how people who graduated with Agriculture degrees from Nigerian universities have managed to work in banks.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by BABE3: 5:12pm On Mar 07, 2013
ROSSIKE:
You refuted nothing. All you've done is show your shallowness by laughing at Ghana, Rwanda and Burundi.
The link I posted was the organization that represents 4000 Nigerian-trained doctors practising in the US.

You're mad because I'm laughing at a joke made at your expense ? Poor baby. Suck it up!!
The doctors in that organization are Nigerian by birth. . .by birth. The fact that they were born in Nigeria doesn't mean they were trained in Nigeria.

ROSSIKE:
What garbage are you typing? What does ''10 years in America prior practicing mean''?

Don't feign cluelessness just because you have nothing to say. It's a cheap way to cop out.

http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/acs_medical_information.html
Read and weep.

ROSSIKE:
Then show some intelligence and stop talking crap.

I still refuse to go nuclear.
The problem with Nigeria lies with cûnts like you. If îmbècilès like you don't even realize the country is in need of a miracle in every sector, how will the change we so desire come?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 5:16pm On Mar 07, 2013
flexyonline: @coogar

i am sure i have spent 12 moths cumulatively in the last 10 yrs. what are you talking about? embarrassing myself even after producing facts every step of the way? what exactly is wrong with you people that you have so much difficulty in speaking the truth?

after leaving your secondary school - are you saying you couldn't have coped with any oil/gas company willing to train you in-house? i know people with ACCA, ICAN, CCNA, CCNP, etc without a university degree. how are the physical education graduates in nigeria coping in the banking industry? how are the geography students coping in insurance companies in nigeria? abeg - make i hear word!!!! you criminally underestimate your potential if you think need a college degree to do certain things - no you don't!!!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 5:16pm On Mar 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
Aren't we talking of jobs that require no technical prowess. Pls tell us how people who graduated with Agriculture degrees from Nigerian universities have managed to work in banks.

No we are not talking about jobs that require no technical prowess. The proponents here have specifically said there is nothing in technical jobs that cannot be done by a school leaver.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by flexyonline: 5:22pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:

i am sure i have spent 12 moths cumulatively in the last 10 yrs. what are you talking about? embarrassing myself even after producing facts every step of the way? what exactly is wrong with you people that you have so much difficulty in speaking the truth?

after leaving your secondary school - are you saying you couldn't have coped with any oil/gas company willing to train you in-house? i know people with ACCA, ICAN, CCNA, CCNP, etc without a university degree. how are the physical education graduates in nigeria coping in the banking industry? how are the geography students coping in insurance companies in nigeria? abeg - make i hear word!!!! you criminally underestimate your potential if you think need a college degree to do certain things - no you don't!!!

Guy you just don't get it do you. Let me spell it out! If a secondary school leaver is to be trained to do the job I do, the company will have to arrange both formal class training and hands on training for just about the length of time that I spent in the university for him to achieve the level of competence I have. Is that not equivalent to getting a university degree? There are certain background knowledge you require and those are not taught in secondary school period!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 5:22pm On Mar 07, 2013
flexyonline:
No we are not talking about jobs that require no technical prowess. The proponents here have specifically said there is nothing in technical jobs that cannot be done by a school leaver.

only 2 of my superiors have a university degree and none of them make less than £150k a year. how did i know? i am about to apply for my chartership in engineering and i found out most of the people bossing my oil/gas are not even chartered engineers. when i asked why none of them is chartered, they said a university degree in engineering is compulsory and they had none but were trained in-house by top engineering companies with enough field experience - so what are we talking about here?

a secondary school leaver could have easily coped as well and work his way up the career ladder without a university degree.

flexyonline:
Guy you just don't get it do you. Let me spell it out! If a secondary school leaver is to be trained to do the job I do, the company will have to arrange both formal class training and hands on training for just about the length of time that I spent in the university for him to achieve the level of competence I have. Is that not equivalent to getting a university degree? There are certain background knowledge you require and those are not taught in secondary school period!

that is a big lie - 70% of what you were taught in the university do not apply to your career to start with so they won't even bother training him in special electives and plenty of irrelevant rubbish taught in the nigerian university curriculum to keep nigerian youths out of trouble! you are saying it would take a young school leaver 5 yrs in-house training to get to the level you are as a fresh uni graduate? this is horribly laughable! under 18 months, he's already learnt more than all the education you have garnered in 5 yrs that engineering students spend to cop a degree in nigeria. you only know theory, he's hands on already and knows how the company works......
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 5:35pm On Mar 07, 2013
flexyonline:

Can you tell us what is it you do, "Albert Einstein"? But on a serious note, stop trying hard on this. 2D, 3D or 4D seismic interpretation? or have they started building racing cars or fighter jets in Shell, Mobil or Chevron Nigeria? ? ?

Please, tell me what do you do!

I think may be with people like you around in the 70's Bill Gate would have been told to go back to school.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 5:43pm On Mar 07, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Can you tell us what is it you do, "Albert Einstein"? But on a serious note, stop trying hard on this. 2D, 3D or 4D seismic interpretation? or have they started building racing cars or fighter jets in Shell, Mobil or Chevron Nigeria? ? ?

Please, tell me what do you do!

I think may be with people like you around in the 70's Bill Gate would have been told to go back to school.

steve jobs too!
you can add mark zuckerberg and kim jong to the list of the present generation!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by debosky(m): 5:45pm On Mar 07, 2013
AjanleKoko:
I think I agree with this.
Education in the modern sense is overstated. You don't really learn any skills, you only learn lots of theories, and very few are actually going to serve you in real life.

Education is overstated due to increasing entry requirements as a result of higher competition for available positions. I wonder if all the 'a secondary school leaver could do that' advocates are proof of the pudding. Did y'all stop school at secondary school? cheesy

Every time you watch a program like BBC's Master Mind, it always amazes me that the contestants are not physicists or PhD holders. Some of them are in vocations so pedestrian that we look down on them in Nigeria. You'd see a pastry cook come on TV and reel out facts about the Stuarts, or the Medici family, or recite tomes from Shakespeare.

Why does it amaze you? The ability to cram meaningless facts about some random topic isn't indicative of any type of intelligence - it simply means you can recollect information you've studied over a long period of time. Go ask a naija girl to recite the number of movies that Kanayo O Kanayo has acted in and you'll be surprised. grin

Some time back, the World Bank or one of these developmental agencies advised that Nigeria needs to scale back on tertiary education and focus on vocational education, as that would better serve an undeveloped nation. We cried foul and put it down to Western Imperialism. Nowadays I tend to agree. There is a huge gap in vocational education, such that Chinese are importing laborers into Nigeria.

Vocational education will not stop the importation of labourers - the local ones can be 'trained' in the same way secondary students can be 'trained' to do 'graduate' level jobs, not so? Chinese importation of labourers is a different issue altogether.

OND and HND graduates are supposed to be the equivalent of 'vocationally educated' people - one would expect those people are in high demand in the workplace today going by your comments, not so?

Truth be told, a lot of people like the OP with their fancy MBAs from Lord Knows where might have been better served with vocational education. Especially when you look at the cost of getting these degrees from the West. Heck, they don't even let us stay to work in those countries. It's probably because they don't need those skills that you paid millions to come and study. So why should you expect a job to be waiting back home?

It's not because they don't need those skills, it'because some of those universities are training people ostensibly to return to their countries - they are export industries. As others have said, the Chinese returning home after their degrees in droves to take up positions, so why should Nigerians not be returning home to take up positions in their own country?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by BABE3: 5:47pm On Mar 07, 2013
ROSSIKE:

In the US EVERYONE with a foreign medical degree has to go through the same process.
Of course. . . and to avoid wasting the Nigerian graduates' time, the medical schools in Nigeria are being blacklisted. "Shoooo, we no want you!" cheesy
There's no point in letting graduates from 9 medical schools in Nigeria partake in the licensing tests.

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/uk-blacklists-medical-graduates-9-nigerian-universities

So much for sound education.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by debosky(m): 5:47pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:
only 2 of my superiors have a university degree and none of them make less than £150k a year. how did i know? i am about to apply for my chartership in engineering and i found out most of the people bossing my oil/gas are not even chartered engineers. when i asked why none of them is chartered, they said a university degree in engineering is compulsory and they had none but were trained in-house by top engineering companies with enough field experience - so what are we talking about here?

a secondary school leaver could have easily coped as well and work his way up the career ladder without a university degree.

So why are you trying to get chartered? Why not simply wait to 'work your way up the ladder' the old fashioned way? Why don't you just use your 'experience' alone? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by debosky(m): 5:50pm On Mar 07, 2013
Rhino.5dm:

Now you're just being argumentative for the sake of it - ok let me ask you. Can a secondary school student interpret 2D, 3D or 4D seismic? If they can, why are degrees being requested to fill positions to do so even outside Nigeria if we dismiss the naija case as simply 'certificate madness'.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Mrfemi1: 5:54pm On Mar 07, 2013
saxywale:
infact, don't bother wearing that sharp Italian suit as well. it may work against the applicant.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 5:54pm On Mar 07, 2013
Hmmnnnn
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by jaybee3(m): 5:54pm On Mar 07, 2013
debosky:

So why are you trying to get chartered? Why not simply wait to 'work your way up the ladder' the old fashioned way? Why don't you just use your 'experience' alone? cheesy
He probably needs the coveted CEng suffix after his name. Big man things ya know
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 5:55pm On Mar 07, 2013
coogar:

steve jobs too!
you can add mark zuckerberg and kim jong to the list of the present generation!

I tell ya!

Like someone was telling me I need a COREN stamp before starting my consulting firm and I quickly point to some COREN certified engineers in my class battling with secondary school graduates.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 5:57pm On Mar 07, 2013
debosky:

i want to get chartered cos i have satisfied all the requirements to become one. mind, it doesn't require any special written examination to become one like ACCA or ICAN. it's just an assessment of what i have been doing in the 8-10 years after my MEng! so contrary to what you think, the experience is the koko of the matter!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by asha80(m): 6:00pm On Mar 07, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I think I agree with this.
Education in the modern sense is overstated. You don't really learn any skills, you only learn lots of theories, and very few are actually going to serve you in real life.

Every time you watch a program like BBC's Master Mind, it always amazes me that the contestants are not physicists or PhD holders. Some of them are in vocations so pedestrian that we look down on them in Nigeria. You'd see a pastry cook come on TV and reel out facts about the Stuarts, or the Medici family, or recite tomes from Shakespeare.

Some time back, the World Bank or one of these developmental agencies advised that Nigeria needs to scale back on tertiary education and focus on vocational education, as that would better serve an undeveloped nation. We cried foul and put it down to Western Imperialism. Nowadays I tend to agree. There is a huge gap in vocational education, such that Chinese are importing laborers into Nigeria.

Truth be told, a lot of people like the OP with their fancy MBAs from Lord Knows where might have been better served with vocational education. Especially when you look at the cost of getting these degrees from the West. Heck, they don't even let us stay to work in those countries. It's probably because they don't need those skills that you paid millions to come and study. So why should you expect a job to be waiting back home?
all what you wrote here reminds me of the first 50 pages of a book i just read titled 'the economics of development and planning' written by one m.l.jhingan.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 6:04pm On Mar 07, 2013
debosky:

Now you're just being argumentative for the sake of it - ok let me ask you. Can a secondary school student interpret 2D, 3D or 4D seismic? If they can, why are degrees being requested to fill positions to do so even outside Nigeria if we dismiss the naija case as simply 'certificate madness'.

Yeah, a little bit of exaggeration for the sake of this banter cool. . . but on thesame length, I haven't met any fresh university graduate, straight from school that can interpret 3D or 4D seismic data without further on the job training.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (Reply)

Why Buhari Appointed Gambari As Chief Of Staff / Sit At Home Order In Imo State: How Your Area Be?? (pictures) / Lauretta Onochie: How Nnamdi Kanu Will Be Dealt With By Due Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.