Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality (42453 Views)

Buhari Appoints Tax Chief With Fraudulent Degree - The FCT Post / Typical Nigerian Mentality / Nigerian Mentality: "Husband, Wife And Donkey" Comic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 12:04am On Mar 05, 2013
Nightshift: You talking about a Bank loan for your business in Nigeria? A Lebanese chap will get a loan from a Nigerian bank before a Nigerian businessman. The fact that Nigerian banks sometimes get their fingers burnt by those Lebanese men doesn't change the dynamic.
my thoughts exactly, it is very tru that our shameless banks will give loan to Lebanese easily but refuse to give nigerian counterparts. infact they will even spit unto their face and call them shitfaced slavish baboons. it is happening for real. everything in naija is upside down and some fellas are determined to continuously keep it that way. meanwhile the present world economic system has failed and has continued to fail whole fully. somebody was trying to justify it by saying it encourages COMPETITION. but question we should ask ourselves is the COMPEtiTION REALLY A HEALTHY OR AN UNHEALTHY ONE ?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by newmaonza: 12:04am On Mar 05, 2013
coogar:

why should this be the case?
i have to rub palms of my employers before i get a job? what else do i have to do after i land the job? wash his car? suck his cöck? if they collect money from men to give them jobs, heaven knows what they would demand from female job applicants.......
I hope you have not fallen prey to the most popular scam in Nigeria..... Don't forget the meaning of a JOB, Itz something You do to ease someone off a burden he cant do himself but finds You able, competent and willing to do it...The reward is wages & salary....Do you have another definition for it
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 12:05am On Mar 05, 2013
yhemster: If you are not going to Nigeria to set up your own business or work in a family business, its better to stay put in everywhere diaspora you are. Its true that Nigeria is changing for better and the middle class spending capacity is getting bigger but the fact is Nigeria is still under a transition period where there are great opportunities only for investors and not job-seekers. Its true that good education is the key to good living condition but only when the education can be put use; its like buying a bucket of KFC for a 2 year old who doesn't care what kind of food you give to him. There are job opportunities in Nigeria but its only everyone is over-qualified for the job. For example, in the USA, those so called engineers who works on oil rigs or engineering firm are mostly not university educated, majority of them are technicians who work their way up to becoming certified engineers through experience. The scenario in Nigeria today is that nobody was to start climbing from the bottom of the ladder, majority wants to jump on the ladder at the midway up which is not logical. Going overseas to get education is good idea but look before you leap next time. its time we start to consider the return on investment on education before paying for it.
My point is that only relocate to Nigeria when you have enough resources to set yourself a business or investment. One good thing for business owners in Nigeria now is educated labor is still very cheap, 40% of college graduates have masters degree and about 15% of college graduate have PHD.

Think on what you can do for your country and not what your country can do for you

i don't quite understand this bit.........
nigerians that travelled abroad to pursue foreign degrees did so initially with high hopes. they were told once they cop those foreign degrees getting good jobs would be relatively easier. how would they have known back then that nothing would come out of their expensive venture?

new maonza: I hope you have not fallen prey to the most popular scam in Nigeria..... Don't forget the meaning of a JOB, Itz something You do to ease someone off a burden he cant do himself but finds You able, competent and willing to do it...The reward is wages & salary....Do you have another definition for it

are you really justifying job applicants rubbing the palms of their employers?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AjanleKoko: 12:06am On Mar 05, 2013
coogar:

nigerians that travelled abroad to pursue foreign degrees did so initially with high hopes. they were told once they cop those foreign degrees getting good jobs would be relatively easier. how would they have known back then that nothing would come out of their expensive venture?

They were told by whom?

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by disboy: 12:07am On Mar 05, 2013
gen2briz: I beg I need the summary

Bros if u cannot read this well articulated article then that means there us a serious problem sumwhere.The same thing the article is saying 'we always want shortcut in naija'. SMH for our youths sha

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by mbaemeka(m): 12:08am On Mar 05, 2013
I can relate with the OP fulltime. The situation has seriously waned from Jarus time to now. I can say that because I'm from the latter era (most likely where the OP is coming from). To be fair, the MNC's still favour the foreign degrees but like Ajanlekoko and others have said the white collar job openings seem to have wizened over time even abroad.

Nepotism and cronism is still the order of the day (especially in the IOC's). These lot favour folks that have had some experience with them- either as an intern or as a contract staff. I experienced it with Exxon. After passing the Dragnet and skilltest phase(s) we where interviewed. In that time span I had a friend that served with them and was also retained as a contract staff that wrote the same tests. He didn't pass the skilltest (I know this because he confided in me and besides he's an intelligent lad that graduated with a first class degree in engineering from a Nigerian university) but his boss told him to relax that he'd contact the HR to see what he could do. Well, to cut a very long story short he got the job and has been chilling there ever since. The caveat here is that atleast the guy is pretty smart but the reality on ground is that he wouldn't have secured the job bereft of his bosses help. Its even noteworthy to add here that 3 others like himself (that served there too and were retained) got the same job. We just accepted it and moved on.

PS: the likes of SPDC, ADDAX have corroborating stories as such. Maybe in 2004-2008 it wasn't like that. But from 2009-till date. People experienced it. It gets easier after one has garnered some experience though. But its safer to know the Petroleum minister, VP, C-in-C and the likes. Its safest to know God. *wink wink*

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by dayokanu(m): 12:08am On Mar 05, 2013
saxywale:
Guy leave that one. A cuz of mine was recruited into PWC Nigeria with a 2.2. These was at a time when you can only select a first or 2.1 only on their website (initial application). m not saying folks don't get in on merit, they do but there's always room for the "our own person"..

PwC is strictly on merit they also have a rule that a 2-2 with 6 distinction in WAEC can apply. That was in the early 2000 not sure if it still holds
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 12:09am On Mar 05, 2013
Rap Verse;

There is a place known to men of all creed and belief
Where to succeed,you have to be a snitch, in a ditch.
They say in every matter, money matters,not to bother,but to comply
To decide,u fit tell me how much you don pay for the air you breath with all that greed?
Objection sustain, by instinct,she discredit our merit to her credit.
We can't walk like a crab and fly like a bird
To survive today, must we put on a make-believe personality to belong?
In shade serene, dark sky above, i thought to myself,
When are we gonna wake up to reality and get along for what its worth?
What has happened to the true value system,that makes a nation great?
Our children are loosing hope, being under scope, dying inside,
wanting to hide, thinking nobody is there, living in fear.
We can't run away from our shit, claiming it doesn't smell....
Despite reality preaching, I see our skies blue, oceans clear,
Doves in soaring flocks on the horizon.
But we gonna wake up to reality and breath high!!......

2nd and 3rd verses on the way......Hitting airwaves soon cool cool....
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by areaboi: 12:10am On Mar 05, 2013
@ajanlekoko, yea i've got one from burundi. grin.OLORIBURUKU!!!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AZeD1(m): 12:11am On Mar 05, 2013
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by newmaonza: 12:11am On Mar 05, 2013
mba emeka: I can relate with the OP fulltime. The situation has seriously waned from Jarus time to now. I can say that because I'm from the latter era (most likely where the OP is coming from). To be fair, the MNC's still favour the foreign degrees but like Ajanlekoko and others have said the white collar job openings seem to have wizened over time even abroad.

Nepotism and cronism is still the order of the day (especially in the IOC's). These lot favour folks that have had some experience with them- either as an intern or as a contract staff. I experienced it with Exxon. After passing the Dragnet and skilltest phase(s) we where interviewed. In that time span I had a friend that served with them and was also retained as a contract staff that wrote the same tests. He didn't pass the skilltest (I know this because he confided in me and besides he's an intelligent lad that graduated with a first class degree in engineering from a Nigerian university) but his boss told him to relax that he'd contact the HR to see what he could do. Well, to cut a very long story short he got the job and has been chilling there ever since. The caveat here is that atleast the guy is pretty smart but the reality on ground is that he wouldn't have secured the job bereft of his bosses help. Its even noteworthy to add here that 3 others like himself (that served there too and were retained) got the same job. We just accepted it and moved on.

PS: the likes of SPDC, ADDAX have corroborating stories as such. Maybe in 2004-2008 it wasn't like that. But from 2009-till date. People experienced it. It gets easier after one has garnered some experience though. But its safer to know the Petroleum minister, VP, C-in-C and the likes. Its safest to know God. *wink wink*
God will bless You for this..
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Afam4eva(m): 12:11am On Mar 05, 2013
coogar:

why should this be the case?
i have to rub palms of my employers before i get a job? what else do i have to do after i land the job? wash his car? suck his cöck? if they collect money from men to give them jobs, heaven knows what they would demand from female job applicants.......
Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 12:12am On Mar 05, 2013
AjanleKoko:
They were told by whom?

public opinion!
actually, it's logical - if you bag foreign degrees in good schools, your chances of getting a job should be better than local degrees provided all other conditions are constant! it seems the reverse is the case in nigeria. it's all about who you know in the government or who you can bribe or sleëp with. the moral fabric is so dirty people are actually justifying it.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by InvertedHammer: 12:14am On Mar 05, 2013
OP:

YOUR PROBLEM IS THAT YOU DID NOT FOLLOW THE RULES

Rule 1: Fake it Till You make it.

Do not under any circumstances let them (even your family members) know your financial prowess.
Nigeria respects "big manism" which is why most people would earn N5m and expend N4.5m out of it
to buy nice cars (preferably SUVs). The remaining N500k will be used to maintain.
Your car will open doors for you.

Rule2: Be wary of hangers-on and sycophants.

They could be yuor close relations or old-time friends. You know..the ones that feed you with the
latest gist in town. They have all business ideas in the whole world, they know how every wealthy
neighbour made their money, they know the latest joints...only one problem--they are broke.
Stay away from these leeches.

Rule 3: Stay away from your peers.[/b]
Try and mingle with older, experienced and successful folks. Peers would lead you astray out of ignorance,
jealousy or envy..choose one.

[b]Rule 4: Take the word "borrow" out of your dictionary.

Do not lend and do not hope to borrow. If at any time you run out of fund,enter the next available flight
and go back for more hustle.

Rule 5: GIRLS! GIRLS!! GIRLS!!!
Need I say more on this? Most are lovepeddlers. 1 BB, 1 Brazilian hair and shoes...you will be down N200k already.
Add merrymaking and "oringo" to the equation, then you will understand the saying that " e too sweet na im dey kill pass".
Stay away! If konjee bugs you, use your hands afterall ejaculation is the zenith of boinking.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Jarus(m): 12:14am On Mar 05, 2013
mba emeka: I can relate with the OP fulltime. The situation has seriously waned from Jarus time to now. I can say that because I'm from the latter era (most likely where the OP is coming from). To be fair, the MNC's still favour the foreign degrees but like Ajanlekoko and others have said the white collar job openings seem to have wizened over time even abroad.

Let me burst your bubble: a friend (very close friend that I brought. Lagos) just did Shell medicals, having scaled all the recruitment stages. Guess what? He has no more than 2.1 Bsc Chem Engr from -wait for it - Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi. He knew nobody. In fact, I brought him to Lagos (never visted Lagos in his life. Knew no more than Kano/Bauchi). But a very brilliant dude currently with Oando, waiting on Shell.

Another friend (also a Nairalander) just moved to Addax from Oando for 15m last year. Has no more than Bsc Accounting from Ife (my set) and ICAN. These are guys that don't know anybody.

These are 2012/2013 events, not 2006!

Guys, merit still dey o. I see all tthese things from time to time and these are what make me reach my consistent conclusion that there is still merit if you know your onions.

And I have never lost a job to nepotism. In 2011, about 42 of us competed for Total E&P Economist position (32 shortlisted from Nigeria, the remaining 10 Nigerian MBA/Msc candidates in USA/UK). I didn't get it(one of the guys from US got it) but I knew it was purely merit-driven. That is the competition. Too many qualified people for very limited spaces. Thousands applied, 42 shortlisted, 1 got it.

6 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by mygirrl: 12:14am On Mar 05, 2013
coogar:

public opinion!
actually, it's logical - if you bag foreign degrees in good schools, your chances of getting a job should be better than local degrees provided all other conditions are constant! it seems the reverse is the case in nigeria. it's all about who you know in the government or who you can bribe or sleëp with. the moral fabric is so dirty people are actually justifying it.

Infact, i'm beginning to feel that people most people without foreign degrees beef those that managed to obtain one
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by yhemster(m): 12:14am On Mar 05, 2013
coogar:

what you said sounds like a ponzy scheme, meaning you make an investment becos everyone is doing it and seems that they going to make money. While the facts remains, only the first privileged investors who got out of the scheme before the bubble busted are the lucky ones.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Afam4eva(m): 12:16am On Mar 05, 2013
Jarus:

Let me burst your bubble: a friend (very close friend that I brought. Lagos) just did Shell medicals, having scaled all the recruitment stages. Guess what? He has no more than Bsc Chem Engr from -wait for it - Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi. He knew nobody. In fact, I brought him to Lagos (never visted Lagos in his life. Knew no more than Kano/Bauchi). But a very brilliant dude currently with Oando, waiting on Shell.

Another friend (also a Nairalander) just moved to Addax from Oando for 15m. Has no more than Bsc Accounting from Ife (my set) and ICAN. These are guys that don't know anybody.

Guys, merit still dey o
Of course merit still dey. There are exceptional cases but they're very minute...But have you asked those your friends if they did anyone a favour. Maybe by paying money or sleeping...
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 12:17am On Mar 05, 2013
mygirrl:
Infact, i'm beginning to feel that people most people without foreign degrees beef those that managed to obtain one

that's standard!
if you are young with a foreign degree that your interviewer does not have, you are in soup. their fear is you would be the one to force them into early retirement or your rise to the top would be rapid.

yhemster:
what you said sounds like a ponzy scheme, meaning you make an investment becos everyone is doing it and seems that they going to make money. While the facts remains, only the first privileged investors who got out of the scheme before the bubble busted are the lucky ones.

how's it ponzi?
even in ordinary business, money begets more money........if you want good salary, you have to study hard to get those jobs and education is expensive abroad. very very expensive!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 12:17am On Mar 05, 2013
dayokanu:

PwC is strictly on merit they also have a rule that a 2-2 with 6 distinction in WAEC can apply. That was in the early 2000 not sure if it still holds
this was in 2008. I mean, there was no way you could move on to the next page on the recruitment website if you had less than a 2.1. My cuz confided in me though. His dad used old boyz connection. His dad and an high oga in PWC were friends in secondary school in the early 80's.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AjanleKoko: 12:19am On Mar 05, 2013
coogar:

public opinion!

You miss the point.
Where do you think the jobs are going to come from? That's the part everybody seems to have conveniently forgotten. A country with decaying infrastructure, mostly state-controlled, nonfunctional public utilities, energy sector in decline, largely untapped mineral deposits, very little manufacturing activity, plus over a hundred million people - and you expect there to be white-collar jobs created. Not just jobs, white-collar jobs? How is that even possible?

Everybody has been going government, MNC - are you guys aware that even the government is massively downsizing these days?
People need to think hard. Just popping up with an MBA from Brunel is not going to get you anything in Nigeria. Not unless you are connected, or very very lucky. The jobs just aren't there, period.

Come to think of it, how come so many people who studied abroad are trying to relocate? Could it be that they could not find that elusive job whereabouts they studied? People need to think hard before they plonk down millions of Naira on these degrees. Things have changed significantly, and it's not just Nigeria. I get on the average about five CVs from Indian engineers in my LinkedIn inbox everyday. They all want to come and work in Nigeria undecided

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Afam4eva(m): 12:19am On Mar 05, 2013
coogar:

that's standard!
if you are young with a foreign degree that your interviewer does not have, you are in soup. their fear is you would be the one to force them into early retirement or your rise to the top would be rapid.
This is very true and it's a shame really. That goes to show the kind of backward mentality that we have in Nigeria.

If and when i setup my company officially, i want to employ people that are brainier and more hardworking than me. I can't settle for less.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by dayokanu(m): 12:20am On Mar 05, 2013
In most Multi nationals in Nigeria Merit recruitment still takes place. the problem in Nigeria is there are more graduates than available jobs.

If the jobs are 2000 we have like 500,000 graduates

So its a survival of the fittest
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AZeD1(m): 12:20am On Mar 05, 2013
Nigeria is not a manufacturing/technical country so those in the sciences(Biomedical and Engineering) have fewer job opportunities while those in Management where the majority of the jobs are have to contend with those who schooled in Nigeria
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by baby124: 12:25am On Mar 05, 2013
dayokanu:

Both options are preferable than going back to naija to be humiliated.

I have several friends who went back immediately and have tales of woe. One guy last year July from University of Sheffield still doesnt have a job till today and while in UK was hustling and making ends meet in his little way (Working call center).

Now he is the chairman of "newspapers free readers association in his area where he is giving out knowledge" cheesy

grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy ROTFLMAO
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 12:26am On Mar 05, 2013
AjanleKoko:
You miss the point.
Where do you think the jobs are going to come from? That's the part everybody seems to have conveniently forgotten. A country with decaying infrastructure, mostly state-controlled, nonfunctional public utilities, energy sector in decline, largely untapped mineral deposits, very little manufacturing activity, plus over a hundred million people - and you expect there to be white-collar jobs created. Not just jobs, white-collar jobs? How is that even possible

don't be deceived........
there are jobs in nigeria but they are currently occupied by misfits, less qualified foreigners and age-cheats who keep celebrating their 45th birthday every year because they don't want to be forced into retirement. the real problem is the right people are not getting the jobs. why should a geography graduate be in a bank and a master degree holder is outside driving cabs?

Everybody has been going government, MNC - are you guys aware that even the government is massively downsizing these days? People need to think hard. Just popping up with an MBA from Brunel is not going to get you anything in Nigeria. Not unless you are connected, or very very lucky. The jobs just aren't there, period.

the jobs are there, nepotism is the problem!

Come to think of it, how come so many people who studied abroad are trying to relocate? Could it be that they could not find that elusive job whereabouts they studied?

some are forced to come back because of visa issues - some are just tired of living abroad and they want to be with their families. minus the visa issues, you think nigerians would not stay abroad where the system works? don't be naive.....

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by AjanleKoko: 12:26am On Mar 05, 2013
Here is a job advertised on LinkedIn for Nigeria:

Business Leader – Prepaid Product Management & Sales, SSA

This is a typical position that would be better suited for someone with foreign education and experience. However, note that 518 people have applied for the job undecided.

Here's another one: Carrier Marketing Manager - West Africa.
593 people have applied.

Neither of these jobs are entry-level positions, mind you. They require specific industry experience.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 12:27am On Mar 05, 2013
mygirrl:

I don't think that's the case. peeps earn big bucks in Nigeria and can afford the foreign degree but some are not just interested.

Although in interviews, some simple things like that British or American accent could work against you. What if your interviewer can't understand your accent or your use of English? It happens a lot..
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by disboy: 12:28am On Mar 05, 2013
coogar:

this is sad......
is there any solution to this or should this generation just fold it's arms and watch quality graduates become "free-newspaper" readers at T-junctions?

D answer lies with d masses.Sum1 just rightky said irrespective of religion,good leaders will move d con3 foward.But in nigeria if this guy is not my TRIBE or not in the same RELIGION as i am ( No matter how good he is) we will not vote him.Untill these are changed, things will remain d same and d politicians will continue taking advantage of the situation

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Jarus(m): 12:30am On Mar 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
Of course merit still dey. There are exceptional cases but they're very minute...But have you asked those your friends if they did anyone a favour. Maybe by paying money or sleeping...

Is it the friend I accomodate and feed in my house, lend ties and suits, dash 2k to go write tests, that will bribe? They are male too. If it was by bribe, they can't even make top 100000. I told you these guys are brilliant. Dazes at interviews.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 12:31am On Mar 05, 2013
saxywale:
I don't think that's the case. peeps earn big bucks in Nigeria and can afford the foreign degree but some are not just interested.

Although in interviews, some simple things like that British or American accent could work against you. What if your interviewer can't understand your accent or your use of English? It happens a lot..

the interviewer can't understand my accent but he automatically understands the accents of lebanese, chinese and the indians roaming free in nigeria now. if that's not beefing, i don't know what else to call it.

AjanleKoko: Here is a job advertised on LinkedIn for Nigeria:

Business Leader – Prepaid Product Management & Sales, SSA

This is a typical position that would be better suited for someone with foreign education and experience. However, note that 518 people have applied for the job undecided.

Here's another one: Carrier Marketing Manager - West Africa.
593 people have applied.

Neither of these jobs are entry-level positions, mind you. They require specific industry experience.

not everyone applying would satisfy the requirements needed too. that's naija people for you. the system should be purged wholly. i go to state ministries and federal ministries and the employees don't look like government workers - more like traders! where were you when some teachers in the north failed primary 4 tests? ask yourself - why are those people in employment when qualified ones can't get any job?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by disboy: 12:37am On Mar 05, 2013
dayokanu:

The same reason everyone on NL claims to be related to Dangote. Heck were you not there when some people said 900k na small money. How many %age of Nigerian workers earn that a year. But online everyone na Adenuga

$15,000 What kind of business? Where do you plan to locate it? Is this just the running capital or everything you plan to spend? How much for rent? For utilities(light,phone,internet etc), How much for the raw material, staff costs, Bribe to everyone authorities, area boys, OPC security guards etc?

Unless the business is to sell Pure water, Recharge card and Viju milk in traffic cheesy grin

Pure water is a very lucrative business and that amout stated above can comfortably start a pure water packaking coy.So u want to start big ba? Go and ask dangote howmuch he started with

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Photos Of President Buhari In Bamako, Mali / Babatunde Fowler Has Fake Honorary Doctorate Degree - Sahara Reporters / Border Closure: Ghana Businesses May Fold Up By The End Of The Year - GCCI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.