Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,654 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Was Nani's Red Card Justified? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Was Nani's Red Card Justified? (30368 Views)

Diego Lopez Punch On Vidic's Face Worse Than Nani's Collussion With Arbeloa / Sir Alex Ferguson Blames Nani For MANU Defeat To Chelsea / Messi Red Card: Should Messi Have Gotten A Red Card In The Barca V Chelsea Game? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Morgan1092(m): 10:02am On Mar 06, 2013
Dat shldn't b a RED CARD, atleast a Yellow card wud hv bin beta. I supported R. Madrid, but Nani's red card was too harsh.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by BashMe1(m): 10:03am On Mar 06, 2013
Frostyzone: No, it wasn't. Nani didn't even see the guy coming as he went for the ball. Nobody, not even The Madrid players expected such an hard decision the ref, as none of them contested it.

I even thought at first that the decision would swing our way, after watching the first replay.
Arbeloa was the clear instigator of the foul, as he had no business throwing himself at an on rushing Nani at all.

My only regret is that he wasn't hospitalized, only then would a red card had been justified.

SHARAPT DIA, DID NANI NOT FAKE IT WHEN HE STARTED ROLLING ON THE PITCH AS IF HE WASN'T THE ONE WHO KICKED SOMEBODY'S ASS LIKE JET LI?

6 Likes

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by JackDaniels1: 10:03am On Mar 06, 2013
For you to raise ur leg up in a football match is an offence.Nani can't tell me that he didn't see Arbeloa @ last minutes.He ought to withdraw his leg and by so doing the impact on Arbeloa will not be much.@first I thought the referee was harsh but afta having a closer look,I could see Nani's intention.if the tackle is done with a free mind,he needs to attend/beg Arbeloa immediately even should try to help him up not rolling on the floor as if he was also hit.He stayed on the ground because he knew what he did.so the red card is justified pls.

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by executinal(m): 10:03am On Mar 06, 2013
Yes grin

Because Ferguson failed to invest on ref

7 Likes

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by yoji: 10:03am On Mar 06, 2013
So all d times henry jumped up to cushion d ball down and we were all wowed, so it was actually dangerous play. He should hv been sent off then wether or not he hit anybody instead of being praised for exhibitin such skill

3 Likes

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by RedLight1: 10:04am On Mar 06, 2013
mca795: am an a.c milan fan nd dislike d red devils so much bt dat a yellow card nt red.
its either a yellow or red card offense .... the refree decided to use red doesnt mean the ref got it wrong
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by OgidiOlu3(m): 10:04am On Mar 06, 2013
I can't read Nani's mind o but from what I saw on TV, that tackle was not even worth a yellow card. It was obvious he(Nani) went for the ball and not the player.

On the other hand, I don't pity Man U a bit, it's what they do too. Chelsea fans, I pity una, na Howard Webb go blow una match against Man U o grin .
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by ojuu4u(m): 10:05am On Mar 06, 2013
d way nani raised d leg could be fatal, i tink nani deserved it

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by mumumugu(m): 10:05am On Mar 06, 2013
As long as the boot is raised above the knee level, displaying the stud. It is a foul. Nani should know that
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Nobody: 10:06am On Mar 06, 2013
Maybe a yellow...Definitely not a red. The only time I want to see a red card is when there is an attempt on goal or when the player does a revenge tackle or fights, punches or slaps another player or official. The ref was too harsg. A yellow would have been more appropriate. Let's be realistic.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by polokor60(m): 10:06am On Mar 06, 2013
Nani was unfortunate to have received that red card.It wasn't an intentional act but he started play acting as if he was injured.Machester united had been a beneficiary to dubious officiating in the past,they should have a taste of the bitter pills other clubs do swallow whenever howard webb and co .............................................................................................................
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Nobody: 10:06am On Mar 06, 2013
Its NOT a red card.
Nani had his eyes on d ball (to control), and not to his Abeloa

but,

Its obvious UEFA wishes to remove England 4m d competition,

Not minding the fact dat its Man-U.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Nobody: 10:07am On Mar 06, 2013
mumumugu: As long as the boot is raised above the knee level, displaying the stud. It is a foul. Nani should know that
a foul yes, a yellow card yes. A red card. Hell no.
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by jagabanban: 10:07am On Mar 06, 2013
Referrees are required to apply the rules as contained in the FIFA rule book. The obvious questions the ref would have asked himself are:

1. Was it a dangerous challenge?
2. Were the studs showing?
3. Could the other player have been seriously injured?
4. Is it card offence?
5. What colour of card?

All these questions are asked and answered by the ref within seconds of the offence been committed.

Please note that there is no where in the rule book for the ref to judge if the tackle was intentional or not as the ref cannot read the player's mind and is not required to. He may, however, apply his discretion in the colour of card to be issued.

Coming back to this tackle. Going by the FIFA rules, the ref was not out of place to have issued a red card.

5 Likes

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Maxymilliano(m): 10:08am On Mar 06, 2013
When Referee Ovrebo supervised Chelsea's exit from UCL a few years back in the home-tie v Barcelona, Man Utd fans friends dismissed the complaints by Chelsea at the time. What goes around comes around, Let me safely say its football, it can sometimes be a biatch...

Picture of Man UTD fan crying Wayo Allah! grin

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Frostyzone(m): 10:10am On Mar 06, 2013
Bash Me:

SHARAPT DIA, DID NANI NOT FAKE IT WHEN HE STARTED ROLLING ON THE PITCH AS IF HE WASN'T THE ONE WHO KICKED SOMEBODY'S ASS LIKE JET LI?

What a dweeb. Did you even watch the match at all? Or are you one of those that watch it on other people's mouths.

Last time I checked, it was an unintentional sternum kick, not arse kick.

3 Likes

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Nobody: 10:10am On Mar 06, 2013
yoji: So all d times henry jumped up to cushion d ball down and we were all wowed, so it was actually dangerous play. He should hv been sent off then wether or not he hit anybody instead of being praised for exhibitin such skill

Or Babertov!

Strong point.

Bros, you know football well!

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by RedLight1: 10:10am On Mar 06, 2013
executinal: Yes grin

Because Ferguson failed to invest on ref
he only buy local ref instead of european ref
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by emmiesky(m): 10:10am On Mar 06, 2013
What goes around, come around. I think Man Utd just had a taste of their own bitter pill. Better luck next time.

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by AkpuNku2: 10:11am On Mar 06, 2013
Not a red card but yellow,

we are talking about straight red card to Nani and some mumu chelshit fans here are comparing this with Torres 2nd yellow card against Man U

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by sayso: 10:12am On Mar 06, 2013
Former Manchester United midfielder Roy Keane on ITV: "I think the referee has actually made the right call. Everyone's upset about it and it's slightly unlucky, but it's dangerous play. Whether he meant it or not is irrelevant. It's dangerous play - it's a red card. You have to be aware of other players on the pitch. Does he think he's going to have 20 yards to himself? Whether it's [a brave decision] or not, it's the right decision. Whether he meant it or not doesn't matter. Nani's a quick boy to go down anyway. He's not the bravest player on the planet."

6 Likes

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Akpaife(m): 10:12am On Mar 06, 2013
Nani thank u very much mumu man u,u wat 2 lift UCL
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Akpaife(m): 10:14am On Mar 06, 2013
Maxymilliano: When Referee Ovrebo supervised Chelsea's exit from UCL a few years back in the home-tie v Barcelona, Man Utd fans friends dismissed the complaints by Chelsea at the time. What goes around comes around, Let me safely say its football, it can sometimes be a biatch...

Picture of Man UTD fan crying Wayo Allah! grin
Hahahahahaha I like it
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by omonnakoda: 10:15am On Mar 06, 2013
It is worthwhile spending a few minutes studying the rules of the game regarding red cards for violent or dangerous play.For a footbal buff the time would be well spent.
There is no doubt that the red card was a turning point in the game and ultimately might have affected the final outome. We shall never know what might have been.
I was expecting a yellow card and was shocked to see a red though perhaps not as shocked as Nani. It was a brave decision by the referee particularly at Old Trafford.
However according to the letter of the law the referee was perfectly right and he cannot be faulted. He did his job though I would have preferred that he showed some discretion.The other thing is we shall see another game probably before the end of the month where a similar foul attracts a different penalty.It is this inconsistency that irks us so much.
A lot is made of intent but that word "intent" does not appear in the rules AT ALL. What is important is that it is violent or dangerous period. No ifs or buts or as the Yoruba man will say "Olorun ri inu mi" = "God see my mind". Just not relevant.
Dangerous play may me intentional or "reckless" and I think Nani's fits in the latter category but it was dangerous all the same.
Fifa defines "reckless" thus;

Reckless
” means that the player has acted with
complete disregard of the danger to, or consequences
for, his opponent: NOTE the word "intent" does not appear in this definition

If I start cleaning my rifle and somehow discharge a round into the street killing a pedestrian with clearly NO INTENT. That is reckless. If I leave that same rifle where my 5 year old can find it and shoot his mother(temptation hmm) that is reckless and there is liability. The extent of liability in these cases is lower but these are extreme examples for illustration. In football the rule is very clear though referees use discretion all the time otherwise very few games would finish with 11 men.When referees refuse to use their discretion we have no choice but to accept it or try and change the laws. On this occcasion the refere was right

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by surawilly(m): 10:16am On Mar 06, 2013
Jonjo V Man utd was it justified?

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by katordidi(m): 10:16am On Mar 06, 2013
afroconi: No... I don't think it was... It lacked intent, was the first foul of the game and besides was a yellow card offense! I will beat that referee
it wasn't de 1st foul of the game. And that is definately a red card offence even though it wasn't intentional. The refereed should ave exercised restraint for de sake of de game
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by katordidi(m): 10:16am On Mar 06, 2013
afroconi: No... I don't think it was... It lacked intent, was the first foul of the game and besides was a yellow card offense! I will beat that referee
it wasn't de 1st foul of the game. And that is definately a red card offence even though it wasn't intentional. but i tink The referee should ave exercised restraint for de sake of de game
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by kenkruse: 10:18am On Mar 06, 2013
In Sir Alex voice.>.>.nani could have killed the boy.<.<. He deserved what he got.

2 Likes

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by jpcomrade: 10:18am On Mar 06, 2013
The reason why everything has failed to develop in africa is mainly the failure of africans to reasonably pass the right judgement in simple situation,the moment an average african fails he will want every other to fail along,however I sympathise with the referee for failing to live to expectation, he ruined the match by his innocuous red card to Nani PERIOD.

2 Likes

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by tunnex190: 10:18am On Mar 06, 2013
I think the referee has actually
made the right call. Everyone's
upset about it and it's slightly
unlucky, but it's dangerous play.

Roy Keane
Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by Frostyzone(m): 10:19am On Mar 06, 2013
sayso: Former Manchester United midfielder Roy Keane on ITV: "I think the referee has actually made the right call. Everyone's upset about it and it's slightly unlucky, but it's dangerous play. Whether he meant it or not is irrelevant. It's dangerous play - it's a red card. You have to be aware of other players on the pitch. Does he think he's going to have 20 yards to himself? Whether it's [a brave decision] or not, it's the right decision. Whether he meant it or not doesn't matter. Nani's a quick boy to go down anyway. He's not the bravest player on the planet."

And Mourinho has this to say after the game;

"Independent of the decision, the best team lost. We didn't deserve to win, but football is like this"

Methinks that Mourinho knew Madrid were totally outclassed prior to the sending off.

1 Like

Re: Was Nani's Red Card Justified? by omonnakoda: 10:21am On Mar 06, 2013
jpcomrade: The reason why everything has failed to develop in africa is mainly the failure of africans to reasonably pass the right judgement in simple situation,the moment an average african fails he will want every other to fail along,however I sympathise with the referee for failing to live to expectation, he ruined the match by his innocuous red card to Nani PERIOD.
The referee was not African. I am sure there are a few Europeans,Asians and Americans who agree with the referee
The logic on display in the above quote is exactly what we do NOT need in Africa. What kind of reasoning is that. We are talking of a red card and you extend that to the whole of Africa. Haba !

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Crystal Palace Vs Manchester United - (0 - 1) - Live / Crystal Palace Vs Arsenal (1 - 2) On 16th August 2015 / Liverpool Vs Sheffield United (2 - 0 ) On 2nd January 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.